Basecamp Reviews

About Basecamp

Basecamp is an efficient collaboration tool used by thousands of teams across the globe. Teams use Basecamp to keep track of assignments, work together on documents, plan projects, chat, and more. Basecamp is opinionated. It's...

4.2
4.2

Browse Basecamp Reviews

14,427 of 14,427 reviews
Vikram
Vikram
  • Industry: Staffing & Recruiting

Reviewed on 24/08/2022

The Best task allocation and monitoring tool available in the market

In remote workplaces, it becomes very difficult to monitor and track the progress of your peers or teammates. Basecamp has been a saviour as it helps us not only monitor and allocate tasks but also becomes a source of communication for internal teams to get the work done. We recommend Basecamp to any IT company which has multiple projects and resources to handle.

Pros

Basecamp has been a great tool for our team as all the projects and tasks are allocated by the managers and peers on this platform and then it becomes easy for everyone to keep a track of it. Basecamp provides an easy communication via threads that make it very convenient to use. We at Wise IT inc have been using basecamp as a project management and collaboration tool and love how it makes our lives easier. It also has a mobile app which makes it more easier to keep a check on your phone when you are away from work.

Cons

Basecamp does not have video conferencing option yet which has become a very important feature for companies that are working from home. Apart form this, I have never faced any problem using Basecamp.

Reasons for Choosing Basecamp

The interface of Basecamp is easier than Asana. Also in terms of features, Basecamp currently leads the market.

Reasons for Switching to Basecamp

Pricing and features are better for Basecamp compared to other alternatives available.
Ryan
Ryan

Reviewed on 14/11/2022

Great tool, but unfortunately the price is one of the highest values

Pros

Basecamp is an incredibly strong task management tool. Great for small teams. As far as resource management and any medium sized projects basecamp lacks behind its competitors. With all this said, I love basecamp as it is nostalgic for decades now of work that I've been able to implement easy with teams and organizations.

Cons

resource management, alignment, lack of scheduling, confusing interface that forces users to just use search, upgrades and updates... although good, only make it harder to leave and not actually fix needed overhauls.

monday.com and Asana

Reasons for Choosing Basecamp

So Asana, was better designed back in 2018 or so, but was also very buggy at the time, and still lacked in scheduling and other areas, we made the switch and have been happy, but now basecamp is needing another overhaul to keep up with alternatives.Sad to say but their pricing model (back then) was unmatched and now they are switching that up to be per user/month like everyone else. I'd suggest they stick in their lane, but alas.

Reasons for Switching to Basecamp

sad to say but it was pricing. Now as we've grown we need more value that basecamp cannot keep up with.
Shri Ram

Reviewed on 18/01/2024

Basecamp Review

Using Basecamp has been a really fruitful experience. It made working on remote projects easier and more productive for us, as there were no communication problems. Basecamp provides a shared dashboard that displays all project details, including plans and progress, which further aids in keeping us all in the loop regarding the project activity.

Pros

Basecamp provides a really helpful group chat feature that lets us communicate in real time, no matter where we are in the world. This enables us to have extremely fruitful conversations, particularly while working remotely, which produces outcomes that are just as good as those obtained when working on-site. It gives us access to a shared dashboard where we can monitor the work that has already been completed, the work that is scheduled, and how our job is to be completed. It's simple and extremely safe to share files and other materials.

Cons

Nothing about Basecamp bothers me the least, primarily since everything about it has been working really well.

Top Basecamp Alternatives

Sierra

Reviewed on 13/02/2024

Limited features and functionality

Pros

The calendar view allowed our team to visually see which projects we had going on currently and which ones we coming up.

Cons

We had to really find our own hacks, such as color coding calendar events, in order to make data useful for ourselves. There was a lot of manual work required to make it functional for our team.

Sam
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Reviewed on 01/12/2023

Great for some users

Pros

I liked the simple design and functionality. The software works how it is supposed to and isn't trying to be more than exactly what it is.

Cons

If just wasn't at good at some of the things it did than other specialized tools. It wasn't as good as Slack at chat and async collaboration in chat. It wasn't as good at task management as Trello. It could do those things, but our team just preferred having multiple more specialized/feature-rich tools.

Reviewed on 20/02/2024

Basecamp was our agency tool

Overall I would recommend Basecamp as it's better than trying to manage everything through Outlook. One piece of advice is to make sure that each project is closed out with all critical files included. That way, if someone needs to look back at the previous year, they can find everything in one spot.

Pros

The agency that we employed provided us with our own basecamp. We were able to customize it to our team, managing access. The ultimate benefits of Basecamp are not only project management, but the ability it provided to hold the agency accountable. The documentation tools proved to be vital.

Cons

The email notifications. I wished that the tool was able to be more granular in which projects we could email people about, the length of time they would be emailed, and the frequency of the email.

Jill
  • Industry: Music

Reviewed on 12/02/2024

Comprehensive Organizational Corkboard

Pros

I love the the user interface is easy to learn and use. It's laid out in a way that makes intuitive sense for juggling multiple projects at once and has many features that keep to-do lists easy to track and the activity of everyone on the team visible.

Cons

It can be tricky to figure out how some of the tracking works and which feature best helps your organize your work. Sometimes there are more items than you need and it would be nice to be able to remove more features from the dash and menu if you don't use them.

• Industry: Furniture

Reviewed on 03/01/2024

Basecamp helps keep us on deadline

Pros

Basecamp has been instrumental on keeping everyone informed about all the moving pieces of our marketing. We make our deadlines due to this software and the reminders

Cons

I feel the overall software could be updated to be a little more user friendly. It feels like it could be a little more flexible in design.

Apparao
  • Industry: Logistics & Supply Chain

Reviewed on 16/01/2024

Basecamp review

Pros

Differentiating itself from other project management and team communication tools are Basecamp's all-in-one platform, communication tools, Hill Charts, and client access. This project management system is appealing because it offers a free account for teachers and students in addition to all capabilities in both paying plans.

Cons

Basecamp's lack of customization possibilities inconvenient.

Tania
  • Industry: Cosmetics

Reviewed on 02/02/2024

Basecamp for work

Pros

Easy to communicate with team members and assign them respective task. Good communication medium for remote workers.

Cons

The loading time is sometimes high when there are a lot of documents

Reviewed on 24/07/2019

(BC3) A friendly project management tool

Basecamp is a great way to collaborate with clients and teams still. The nature of direct 1-1 communications means it will never compete with Slack in terms of moment to moment integration (We dont use campfires or pings or whatever they are called), especially since we do a lot of work in JIRA and therefore our project and process are already disconnected (I could see Campfire being more useful if we were more actively using Basecamp). For now, it serves as a place to post assets for review and archival to the client, as well as a place to post longer messages, like meeting notes in a way that is organized and contextual.

Pros

The reintroduction of client permissions made BC3 instantly more usable as it reintroduced the collaborative nature that wa a hallmark of this product (The "clientside" approach was garbage)
Basecamp offers a clean and approachable structure to project management. It is not intended for software development really, but can be used to run a project or even as a company hub (we use it for both, though in full honesty we have mostly transitioned to slack).

Cons

As above, the initial clientside approach was really underwhelming. It worked for specific low-touch clients, but if you were actively collaborating, it was offputting and cumbersome.
It can be sort of cumbersome to navigate files, and I wish there were data integrations to link Google Shared drives

ActiveCollab

Reasons for Switching to Basecamp

We didnt want to deal with self hosting and we had used the older version of Basecamp. It was also priced competatively
Christopher
  • Used for 2+ years

Reviewed on 07/08/2019

Gather around the fire, Basecamp is here!

Basecamp felt fun to use and really made us feel that we were optimizing our workflows in terms of assigning tasks and work flows.

Pros

Basecamp's user interface has changed over the years and has become for easier for clients and client facing individuals. Basecamp became a part of a sales pitch in terms of giving access to clients to a platform where we were accessible and there to help them.

Cons

Basecamp has a lot of bells and whistles that are not immediately apparent. We did have to do a little digging under the hood in order to take advantage of some key features!

Scoro, Hive and Asana

Reasons for Choosing Basecamp

Basecamp was an easier platform for us to engage clients and keep everyone on the same page! Trello felt a little outdated in terms of having swim lanes for each task.

Reasons for Switching to Basecamp

Basecamp's friendly user interface and accessible onboarding features made it easier for users at my previous organization to adopt the platform. I would recommend this to any budding business who wants to manage workloads/workflows and keep their client engaged and excited about the service being provided!
Ellie
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Reviewed on 15/12/2019

A Really Good Project Management Tool!

Bringing Basecamp into the organization wasn’t difficult. The system was easy and simple to integrate. My team loves it! We hare very satisfied with Basecamp.

Pros

Prior to basecamp, my organization was unorganized and working organically, there was no structure or timelines to our projects. Basecamp brought all that and MORE! It’s so simple to use and assign team members the tasks. It has a great user interface structure. There’s not a day that goes by where I’m not on Basecamp. It made such a positive impact in my organization!

Cons

When it comes to tracking, Basecamp doesn’t give a good overview of this. You need to consistent check what tasks have been completed and which ones aren’t. I hope they make an improvement on the Gantt Charts along with full project reports!

Wrike

Reasons for Choosing Basecamp

Wrike was a great tool but lacked the ability to collaborate that Basecamp offers with its message boards and campfire.

Wrike

Reasons for Switching to Basecamp

Basecamp’s price and overall system is what my team needed. Wrike is great but a bit too “intense” for my team.
Terrance
Terrance
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Reviewed on 20/07/2020

Recommended - Use it daily

We use Basecamp almost on a daily basis. It is fantastic for managing our team and different partners. Our operations side has also been thrilled with the lists that Basecamp provides. Makes it easy for managers to see what has been completed

Pros

Basecamp is well suited for project management. I've used Trello historically but it never had the same degree of functionality. I love the fact that I can have lists, easily collaborate with others and make it almost like a task force that I can assign to various people on our tea.m
It was easy enough to implement and also great if you need to hit the ground running since the learning curve is virtually non existant.

Cons

I use Basecamp 2 and the part I like least about the software is that within the cards itself, I can't @person to provide updates. I can assign various cards to specific people but can't call out specific individuals in those cards.

Reasons for Choosing Basecamp

Features and functionality. Trello is great if you like the kanban approach but we needed something that had more features.

Reasons for Switching to Basecamp

Trello is limited to kanban boards. We needed to have different views and basecamp was able to provide that at a cost that we could afford.
Nichole
Nichole
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Reviewed on 13/10/2020

The best all in one HQ for remote teams

Overall, I love the way it feels like a virtual headquarters for your company where employees can chat, stay up to date with projects, and post all related docs and files, and integrate schedules, but in order to get the best experience with running an office remotely there is such limitation and little customization available. This is a great start, but you still need to use other tools to get a comprehensive set of tools to run and operate your business.

Pros

I love the fact that basecamp feels like a virtual office. The dashboard looks like virtual rooms that one can enter depending on the department you want to access. Basecamp has many features to make it feel like you're at the office like the different departments with access to files, chat, project management , to-do's, groups, and a link to schedule your time and tasks and keep track of meetings.

Cons

There is very little customization that can be done besides adding a company logo, and setting up your departments, groups and selecting which features to incorporate into the department tiles. I would love to be able to custom colorize the look and feel to make it more unique and visual, but there are limitations. Each tile that can be used for departments or projects, also have very little room for customization and you're not able to create any unique features besides your standard to dos, schedule, chat, and files.

monday.com and Asana

Reasons for Switching to Basecamp

ability to have employees connect in one place rather than just working separately and feeling disconnected
Maszni
Maszni
  • Industry: Entertainment

Reviewed on 22/03/2021

Good software for building project management

I mainly use it to collaborating on project with my team members which working on the other branches. We can communicate and work on the same task in real-time and making the project collaboration process very effective.

Pros

The feature and menu is perfectly placed in the software dashboard. I can easily find the tools that i need really fast and that has speed up my work progress. All my project and the progress can be tracked by the visual percentage thus make it more easier to know the project level of completion.

Cons

Basecamp tools for task management is somewhat lacking because there are no tools to managing a complex project that need many resources for the project. The software dashboard and overall design is too old and very unappealing compared to other software that has more modern looking software design.

Faisal Faruque
Faisal Faruque

Reviewed on 22/12/2021

Basecamp made managing my team members easier than ever!

You can call it the Jack of All Trades. Before using Basecamp I had to use a lot of apps for different purposes. For example, one to-do app, another file-sharing app, another messaging app, and so on. It hampered my productivity. But luckily I found Basecamp and this thing got me covered. Now I can have fewer meetings with my team members and save time to do something productive. The integration with other app made it the real hero. I can automate my tasks on Basecamp by using popular integration services and those work seamlessly with Basecamp.

Pros

I have been using Basecamp for a while now. I am genuinely in love with the overall user interface of this platform. It is very easy to use and intuitive. The free plan of the Basecamp is quite generous and it is enough for most of the users. This is why I love this tool so much. But there are some other features that are really helping me to manage my remote team. I can easily assign tasks with deadlines. The email notification system and the mobile app added to the overall value of this tool. I observed that it loads faster on any device with a slower internet connection. This is why my team members even from countries with slow internet can easily access this tool. Overall, the experience is top-notch and I recommend everyone to use this tool.

Cons

There is nothing that I hate about this product. But I think the amazing developer team behind this tool can bring some improvements to the existing features. The price for the Business Plan is quite affordable for large teams. But if they can bring some affordable paid plan for the individual users it would be so much helpful.

Joanna
  • Industry: Translation & Localization

Reviewed on 25/06/2023

Our go-to project management tool!

Basecamp solves problems I didn't even know I had! It also keeps everyone accountable and well-informed in every aspect of our work. It's a massive game-changer.

Pros

Basecamp makes my life so much easier! From tracking projects to communicating deadlines and keeping all our most important documents and information in an easily accessible place, there's no way I could keep track of everything as efficiently and smoothly without it.

Cons

There's a significant learning curve with Basecamp, and that can intimidate those who haven't used project management tools or cause people to feel like they don't have time to figure it out.

Trello and Asana

Reasons for Choosing Basecamp

Basecamp had features that were more compatible with our needs.

Ross
Ross
  • Industry: Media Production

Reviewed on 09/12/2018

The Best "Pick Up and Get Going" Task Manager

Basecamp is where we keep all of our assignments and initiatives, and we've become diligent about not letting any lists or to-dos creep outside the system. This relies heavily on managing the project list carefully and making sure everything has its place. There are not guide-rails to keep you from placing a task in the "wrong" place - fortunately you can move tasks all around if someone puts something in an incorrect place. It's important that you define what Projects exist and create a framework for where assignments should go. A frequent complaint we hear around the office is "I don't know where to put this" so it's important that you outline your project structure and communicate it clearly. If you can nominate a gate-keeper to watch over the system organization, Basecamp can be a very effective way to manage all assignments across an organization and allow people to simply see what's due, when, with ease.

Pros

Basecamp requires very little setup and there are very few barriers to overcome to get in and start making projects and tasks. It can very very scalable in terms of users and project count, and it's approach to To-do Lists and Tasks makes project organization fairly straight-forward. At it's core, making tasks is as easy as choosing a place to put them, naming them, and assigning them. With simple reports, users can view their tasks across all projects and start tackling them. If you want to take things a little bit deeper, you can assign mutiple people to tasks, set due dates, and loop other people into the tasks for conversations.

Cons

Basecamp still has some key missing features that create workflow issues every now and then. You can create recurring events, but not recurring to-dos. So, for example, if you want to create a "Close Accounting Books" to-do and assign it to a user to be finished each month by the 15th, there is not currently support for that. There's also no built-in gannt views, although they continue to innovate project management with new simpler ideas such as the "Hill Chart" which i'm a fan of. A lot of the lack of complex features comes from their desire to carefully curate features to keep the application from ballooning into a beast that's unwieldy and hard to learn.

Reviewed on 15/01/2021

Basecamp - for small and (some) medium-sized projects

I use Basecamp to manage part of my projects. It helps me to keep in better connection with my clients and the members of the team.

I think it is well suited for small and maybe medium-sized projects. It’s reliable and effective at keeping everything organized as long as your teams will have less than 20 members.

But if you’re taking into consideration to use Basecamp, you must also evaluate the complexity of the project and the need of communication between members.

Sometimes the conversation will become hard to follow because everything is put together, and after a while it’s difficult to keep track of it.

We also use the document management and sharing feature to organize project files. Number of emails between team members and/or client dropped after starting using Basecamp.

In fact, you can use Basecamp entirely as a communication platform to organize and keep in touch with your clients. Basecamp consolidates all messages with the client in one place. If the projects are for external clients you can add them to your project and choose only certain resources that they can have access to.

Pros

Basecamp has a very easy to use and intuitive interface. Managing and supervising projects is clean and efficient.
It allows us to share only certain resources with the client.
Groups allow team members to collaborate and share resources.
Members can communicate real-time with the chat or direct messages(pings) or by posting on messages board.
I can dismiss questions or responses if inadequate for the group.
We’re able to set a responsible and set deadlines for tasks.
I can quickly see the tasks we still need to do.
I like how I can have all communication with the client in one place. We don’t need to communicate by emails so often.
Calendar will tell us the time spent and the deadline of the projects.
You can define project hierarchies to break down projects and make them more manageable.
Sometimes I need to share something with a person who’s not on the team; for this I can create a public share link.
We can use templates to speed up the creation of similar projects.

Cons

There is no plan between Free and Business (99USD/month).
Grouping and following longer discussions is not that easy.
I would like to have the possibility to delete files in bulk.
The calendar is just basic, it lacks many features like exporting or syncing with external apps/tools.
I think there are too many email notifications.
I would like to correct or edit online an already uploaded document.
If you want to change the design after your company branding, don't expect that from Basecamp.
I miss a standard feature to prioritize the tasks so we can drop out our custom conventions.

Bryce
  • Industry: Recreational Facilities & Services

Reviewed on 03/02/2021

Best Bang for the Buck

Our team has been better at communicating with one another and collaborating on ideas. It has connected the team and made it easier to know what everyone is working on without it feeling like big brother is watching what you do.

Pros

I love how I pay a yearly fee and I can have unlimited users, projects, files, due dates, etc. We looked into other software and no one could match the ease of use and affordability for a city government on a budget. I love how you can search by keyword and find what you need, I love the chatting option between employees and I love how you can create projects and assignments with ease.

Cons

I wish you could integrate your google calendar with this software.

When I Work and WhenToWork

Cost

Slack
USMAN ZAFAR
USMAN ZAFAR

Reviewed on 29/05/2021

Best and All-In-One Toolkit for Working Remotely 😊

Pros

Our team is using Basecamp since 2019 and all the things are managed and well settled because of Basecamp. Our messages, schedules to do the tasks, our important documents, our conversations regarding the projects and tasks are safe and well managed on Basecamp.
Some of the best and helpful features are:
1. Message Board: You can post announcements, pitch ideas and check progress with daily and on time updates.
2. To-do's: Best option is to set the to-do option in which one can easily make lists of the work or task the you want to get done, set due dates for a tasks and much more.
3. Schedule: You can set important dates on a schedule and can subscribe events in google calendar, Outlook or ical.
4. Docs and files: Easiest and helpful thing us to share the files with teams but the exciting thing is that you can upload and share docs, files, images and spreadsheets with your team and organize in folder as yiu want so they're easy to find.
5. Group chat: You don't need to talk to your teammates using your mobile number here in Basecamp you can easily chat with group members, ask random and important questions relevant to your queries and share stuff without any problem.
In simple, Basecamp is the best platform that have the tools for any company or firm includes all the tools all teams need to work together.

Keep everyone in the loop without all the meetings.

Cons

As I'm using Basecamp without facing any problem so a big Thank you to the Basecamp team. All the tools and features are very helpful. Even one can try Basecamp free trial without any credit card requirement. You can enjoy free trial then you can select package according to your needs and requirements. I hope you really enjoy it. One suggestion to Basecamp team is that please add special package and tools for teachers and students. In covid-19 situation every school and college facing problems in online learning, I suggest to add special LMS features for education side. Again Thanks

Joel
Joel

Reviewed on 07/03/2018

Basecamp is simply the best at what they do. Easy to use, logically designed, totally in...

Pros

It's simple interface makes managing multiple projects a dream. As a Marketing Manager, I'm over seeing everything from product launch to creative development. I have a larger team working on a broad array of projects. Basecamp let's me go in, add tasks, easily check progress and get updated on everything in a manner of minutes. If I let my notifications go untouched for most of the day, Basecamp is so easy to use that I can clear my Heystack notifications (usually 60+) in a few minutes. Updates are that clear!!!
Basecamp, if used properly, could totally eliminate the need for internal email. In fact, I insist my team use Basecamp instead of email. Basecamp focuses communication on the work being done and allows everyone a view on the conversation. This is a problem with email, and merely fwd'ing or cc'ing all the time doesn't really fix the problem of keeping a large team 100% informed. Plus, we all know that no one reads their email.
Beyond that, their customer service is top notch. They take a personal approach with everyone. I once caused an issue with how they program their "todo lists" and they created a fix JUST FOR ME! I assume others use it too, but they wouldn't know that it the "fix" was even a fix, because it was the personal touch that Basecamp gave me that introduced the fix.

Cons

Basecamp has taken a minimalist approach to software design and as a project management tool. In some cases, I do find myself wishing for certain features. Ultimately, I've tried other software and though they may do what Basecamp does while also including those other features, Basecamp is simply the best at what they do, even without the other features, so I have never considered switching.

Kim
  • Industry: Events Services
  • Used for 2+ years

Reviewed on 25/04/2018

I have used Basecemp to communicate with independent contractors, internal creative team and...

Keeping all creative edits, documents, client information in one place was great. It was very organized and helped me to be organized and retrace my steps when needed.

Pros

I mainly used this product when I was working in advertising but we still use it for the design of our program each year with our Communications team. You can create projects and determine who can see them - so, for example, I have a client (X) and my internal team (Y) and independent contractors (Z) for Project A. I can have an ongoing project named Client X where I've added all my internal resources to discuss every project we are working on with them where I can do everything from give SOW, get an estimate of time, create a timeline, receive rounds of work and communicate with my internal team with all changes in one place. I can remove people from conversations that they may not need to be a part of, but they can come see the conversation later if they choose/need to. I will receive email updates from Basecamp every time someone has sent me something on Basecamp. I can also have a Project named Project A where I add members of the client team. Here I can get approval for the cost, send a timeline and all drafts of the project. I can also have a Project named Z for the Independent Contractor. Here, I can get an estimate from this person, send them a proposed timeline, and receive their work. It keeps all of the documents in one place, all edits, all communication and can be organized however it suits you!

Cons

When I was in advertising, the main issue I noticed was that people who don't take the time to learn how to use Basecamp are it's biggest downfall. For example, we have everything from Account Managers who respond via email (which works, but inserts their signature unnecessarily into the comment every time) to creatives who create a new thread everytime they have an update to a project, which defeats the point of being able to look back at every edit/communication to see when a change was made or was supposed to be made but was missed etc. It can also be detrimental if you don't select the appropriate people to see your comment/document. If you just reply to the people who were on the previous comment without checking who was on it, you might not be sending the draft to the right people and it will get missed. Another thing we noticed is that people who did not want to acclimate or never properly learned how to use Basecamp would not read the messages in their email and assume that it was not for them. So you still have to manage up because if you want your higher ups to be looking at something, sometimes they still ignore it =)

Shivam

Reviewed on 29/08/2023

Engage, Interface, Prevail: The Communication Enchantment of Basecamp

We were utilizing an extraordinarily made stage for group communication, but within the conclusion, we concluded Basecamp fair had more usefulness and would take a toll on us. The truth that everybody has assignments distributed to them at each arrange of the extend has moreover made a difference in us getting imperative stakeholders' assent. In the event that the ventures are for exterior clients, you'll incorporate them within the extent but restrain the assets they have get to. It made a difference for me to remain organized and remember my steps when fundamental since it was so well-structured.

Pros

Basecamp's communication device is additionally very accommodating since it offers a take-note board and the capacity to post declarations. It is basic to utilize, empowers collaboration over long separations, and permits you to plan and convey reports to your colleagues. I appreciate how straightforward it is for me to connected with all of the other staff individuals. With respect to corporate upgrades and data, I felt way better taught and educated. I like utilizing this program to put through with our plan team. It incorporates all the trade information coordination capabilities our group must arrange and keep an eye on ventures.

Cons

In comparison to other devices, it offers less modern usefulness. This gadget has the potential to be utilized as a micromanagement device by inadequate directors and pioneers. The need for a few essential functionalities and the interface's extraordinary cleanliness and snugness. In the event that you're utilized to this energetic in, for illustration, Gmail, the failure to file fabric might make sorting challenging. The updating of worker profiles after the initial maker has cleared out the firm is Basecamp's greatest source of inconvenience.