About Mural

MURAL is a collaboration platform designed to help organizations capture and analyze ideas and create custom workflows to handle project management operations across teams. The platform includes scheduling capabilities, which...

4.1

Browse Mural Reviews

Reviewed on 06/03/2019

No other Product Even Comes Close

This tool achieves many problems and is suitable for everyday use, personal use, small groups, and large working groups.

Personal Use: visual organization and planning

Small Groups: can quickly move ideas into visual representations that make it very easy to share with other people. MURAL's often become the foundation for projects which people come back to time and time again. It is very satisfying to collaborate with colleagues in this way as much of the applications we use day to day are only design for single users.

Workshops: MURAL is powerful when put in the hands of a facillitator who can then guide a group of people through experiential learning and discussions which lead to emergent thinking and non-intuitive insights.

Visual Documentation: Over the years I have become very proficient as a visual note taker in mural and can listen to speaker or meeting proceed and capture the meeting in a visually engaging way.

Pros

Mural is hands down the most versatile visual communication tool available today. What I love the most is that I can use the tool every day and that its easy enough for most people to get the hang of within a few minutes, allowing anyone to interact in high fidelity.

Cons

The one thing I don't like about Mural is that some people aren't pro users—I wish everyone were =) Also wish that MURALs could be a first class object in GSuite's Drive =)

• Industry: Mining & Metals

Reviewed on 20/10/2021

Excellent planning tool - a bit challenging online collaboration

Overall, the sessions we have used Mural were very productive and in some cases we were provided with insight (from the guides) that would not be part of our original options. This is an excellent feature that elevates our performance.

Pros

1. Many templates and guides to use out of the box - excellent!
2. A team can be introduced / onboarded easily, especially with the self-explanatory guides

Cons

1. The app is heavy for online collaboration when there is an issue with limited bandwidth for example

Creately

Reasons for Choosing Mural

We wanted to use a visual collaboration tool with many options/templates to accommodate different needs within the same app.

Notion
I Heng
  • Industry: E-Learning
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Reviewed on 21/07/2022

Looking for an online whiteboard, I discovered much more when I found Mural

Mural is literally the one software product that I started using for remote learning but continue to use even when teaching in person because I believe it truly supports collaboration, brainstorming, and mind mapping. I actually tried many other products and none of them comes even close to Mural for these purposes, for its ease of use, and for its flexibility.

Pros

When teachers ask me if I have any go-to tools for remote learning, I always tell them about Mural. During a difficult year adapting to the challenges of teaching online, Mural was a bright spot because although I had only been looking for an online whiteboard, what my students get when they use Mural is so much more.

1) It's easy to use...my students were able to find and use the tools without instructions or guides.
2) It offers many ways to express and connect ideas with a palette of tools and a convenient interface.
3) The facilitator can build custom thinkspaces or choose from a variety of templates, and also decide what elements to lock in place.
4) There are different participation levels, including the "visitor" level which allows anyone with the link to join a collaboration.
5) The "wall" space is giant...I have never run out of space, and easy navigation and zooming provide easy access to the whole space.

Cons

The only aspect I've found a bit challenging for those new to Mural is that sticky notes or text boxes sometimes pop up in unexpected places. As a facilitator, I sometimes have to roam around and delete unused elements that participants created but didn't find.

Top Mural Alternatives

Audrey

Reviewed on 23/06/2022

Good, but not made for designers

Pros

Mural is pretty good and usable, but there are some limitations for certain people/workflows.

It’s definitely tailored toward people who host workshops, retros, etc., so if you’re doing that, I think Mural will be perfect for you. It’s got an integrated timer and tons of templates you can choose from.

Oh! And I appreciate whoever’s idea it was to name every single color. :)

Cons

Making a table or grid is impossible. I use Mural mostly for sharing copy-related work so there’s a lot of text heavy stuff I need to write in there. Making my own table takes so much time (is the connection tool technically the line tool????) but that’s the best way for me to organize info a lot of the time.

Also frustrating is double-clicking and creating a sticky note instead of a text box. If there was a way to change this default option, it would save me a LOT of time.

Infinite Canvas is a great addition but can we lower the opacity on the dot grid? It is very loud.

Angel

Reviewed on 26/05/2022

A magical whiteboard to collect and arrange ideas and find appropriate solutions

MURAL has enabled us to keep meetings open and untimed, it has also enabled us to ensure the participation of all team members and also their approval of the proposed schemes, no matter where they are located. Brainstorming schemes helped us to collect ideas and arrange them in a distinctive way, and this helped a lot in understanding the needs and always finding appropriate solutions.

Pros

MURAL helps team members stay connected and collaborate to stay on schedule. The MURAL whiteboard is great for brainstorming and arranging interactive sessions. I adore using emojis, shapes, and colors to develop a workflow model or collect team members' opinions and perceptions on a topic for third-party sharing. I like how MURAL lets us prepare Proto-Personas, Prioritize, and Experience Map with team members. It's expressive, accurate, and describes our issue well. I like MURAL's ability to organize cards into categories and assign cards to team members so everyone is on the same page. I like that MURAL has an intuitive interface that everyone can adopt to quickly, and the presence of several ready-made templates helps prepare the proper form for the topic we're discussing. I particularly like that final renderings may be exported as an image or PDF file for simple distribution.

Cons

In all honesty, it's not about finding something you might hate with MURAL, as it's like a magical drawing tablet that enables everyone to share and collaborate in all circumstances and with ease.

Derek
  • Industry: Management Consulting
  • Used Monthly for 1-5 months

Reviewed on 13/06/2022

Mural Good for One Time Use But NOT a Long Term Strategy

Easy at first, but really not good for business processes and long term scalability

Pros

Easy to access, and get everyone onto the platform. Fun animal names were a nice touch. The interface has improved over time but is fundamentally flawed.

Cons

Was a glorified whiteboard. For the price we would pay to support the business, Mural would do little more for us than to provide a simple whiteboard to put down ideas and discuss. Although this is nice to get ideas out there - it lacks the ability to create structure and keep things organized over time. Would find ourselves consistently looking for information as it was lost - not sure how we could've implemented the software in a valuable way in the long term.

Miro

Reasons for Switching to Mural

We tried Mural for a few months but didn't find we could've used it long term and lacked a lot of the IP some other software was offering us at the time.
Gregory

Reviewed on 21/07/2022

Very helpful collaboration tool

Pros

I love how Mural helps the team make simultaneous comments, its versatility in using as an idea board; its ability to help us map an entire process as a flow chart and then manipulate the diagram according to our needs. I also love the sharing aspect as it becomes a way for us to communicate as if we're all in the same room.

Cons

Navigating a large mural in terms of the sizing bar can be tedious. I often have to enlarge and then reduce the size in order to zone in on a particular section and see it clearly.

Lucy

Reviewed on 06/07/2022

Good overall app

Great tool for education and collaboration. Very useful for remote working and great to get all ideas and information organised in the one place

Pros

Great to set up team collaboration especially when working remotely

Cons

Software can be sticky at times and isn’t great on an iPad/phone

Reviewed on 13/07/2022

Great collaboration space

I had a great time with Mural. We initially started using it during the first Covid lockdown. Frankly it was implemented well enough that I didn't really miss Whiteboards. Now it feels to have fallen behind Miro a little in terms of updates/features but my perception there may just be coloured by the frequency with which I use Miro.

Pros

Great UI and fantastically approachable. What made Mural special was the huge amount of templates.

Cons

Occasionally slow to respond. Management of multiple boards was sometimes clunky.

• Used Monthly for 1-5 months

Reviewed on 13/06/2022

Mural Experience

The overall experience was very good with mural, tried it brainstorm a project idea.

Pros

1. Free plan available to try and use the software
2. Nice and clean ui to design things
3. So many templates available to start using it and we can also create our own template
4. There is a learning tab to know things about mural

Cons

1. Free plan has only 3 mural
2. They should improve the learning tab add search , filter and categories to learn to a specific need

Amira

Reviewed on 29/03/2022

A great way to come up with creative answers to a variety of problems without a lot of...

We were able to get around a lot of the roadblocks that were getting in the way of our proposed solutions to the issues we were having with the help of MURAL. When everyone is working on the solution, there is no need for many meetings or emails because the method of operations and notes are clearly communicated to everyone.

Pros

Simple to use, it has a wide range of capabilities to make it useful during the entire process of preparation, planning, and execution. MuRAL's biggest feature is that it has a dependable and easy-to-use interface that team members may tailor to fit their needs. You can interact successfully with people who aren't on your team using MURAL because they don't need an account to be able to do so, and their thoughts can be included on the boards we are working on. It's more easier and more pleasurable to work with MURAL because of the front-end presentation style and pre-made templates. What I like most about our whiteboard brainstorming session is that it allows us to better comprehend the scope of the project and discover creative solutions for any overlaps. As a result, I appreciate that we can categorize our cards and designate certain cards for specific team members to ensure that everyone is on the same page, and I also appreciate how simple it is for me to switch between several boards.

Cons

Few drawbacks exist; the strength of MURAL will be evident as an integrated system for all operations and meetings within the institution as team members' acceptance of the system and their response to the topics and plans we wish to discuss with it grow.

Gianluca

Reviewed on 12/11/2020

A great tool with some improvement needed

Mural is a great tool, generally speaking I am happy with it. It misses some feature (sometimes basic ones) that would make our work easier and faster especially in the configuration of new murals and organization of large rooms.

Pros

As a designer I use Mural daily to run co-design workshop with dozens of people. The simplicity of the tool makes it easy to understand and use even for people that are not much into technology. A couple of features I particularly appreciate are the content library (even though should be improved) and the possibility to multiple templates from different companies. Also che call feature looks interesting even though I never used it so far.

Cons

There are things that needs improvement fast. I'll list a few.
1. Rooms should allow to sort murals in alphabetical order and to have a simple list visualization. Also names should not be cut like they are now (the only way to see the full name is via the tooltip)
2. Rooms and archive in my opinion are not enough to organize murals. It would be way better to have rooms and then the possibility to organize murals in folders inside a room.
3. It should be much easier to change the room/mural permissions. We often have sessions with dozens of people but only a few of them should have the possibility to edit. At the moment there is no bulk way to change the view only/edit permission
4. Grouping elements inside a mural should be enhanced. At the moment you cannot have a group of groups and that makes it harder to keep a logical architecture of the elements in a mural
5. At the moment there is no specific feature to create schemes or diagrams. We really would love that.
6. It would be much easier sometimes to have the possibility to specify the object size manually.
7. Content library needs to be improved to be really useful. Elements needs folders for a better organization.

Nick
  • Industry: Market Research

Reviewed on 22/02/2022

Mural is the corporate version of Miro, it feels sluggish and uninspiring

It's for online collaboration mostly.

Pros

It does what it says on the tin. You can still manage your way around in the app, it's just that it doesn't inspire much in the way Miro does. Templates are unappealing, fonts are unappealing and it takes effort to adjust everything to your own liking, more than it should.

Cons

I just really miss using Miro to be honest. Mural has everything Miro has, but in a lesser form. It's like Powerpoint vs Keynote. Powerpoint definitely will get the job done but if you want to have more control or use advanced features you will want to use Keynote. As a designer I miss that in Mural. In that same fashion, Mural also allows you to have more administrative rights over others, just like Powerpoint can force you to use company templates in limited ways.

Heath
  • Industry: Biotechnology

Reviewed on 31/01/2020

Nothing else like it!

My organization is new to visual thinking, design thinking and collaborative decision making. Mural has been a powerful driver of cultural change. They are constantly on the leading edge of how you can get more from their model and their platform. If you do any design thinking or want to make decisions transparently and quickly...get Mural now.
Its more than whiteboarding - it's about thinking out loud!

Pros

Mural is a powerful collaboration tool that can be mistaken as a "virtual whiteboard". Which it is. But doing any collaborative decision making, doing any kind of design thinking, with remote teams is so much better with Mural than any other collaboration tool (webex, teams, etc).

Cons

Sometimes, for some users, there is a slight learning curve. So make sure for those users who are new to the tool, give them some prep work - create a Playground for them and be very intent on how you lock down the Mural so reduce any confusion they might have.

Noemi
  • Industry: Research

Reviewed on 27/09/2021

The perfect place to make sense of your mind

Overall, mural is my go-to for sense making - both of my own thoughts and those of a group. Its a perfect, no frills, low-risk way to get ideas down on paper and analyze, refine, synthesize. It moves my work forward tremendously. For people who are visual or external processors like myself - it's an excellent tool to facilitate these processes.

Pros

I love that mural gives me the tools to dump my ideas into one place and sort them. They offer great templates that give me a way to get started without being intimidated, and I love that I can invite coworkers in this space to see my thinking and to document their thinking there as well. Great springboard for conversations.

Cons

Sometimes I get a bit confused with the level of zoom and the amount of space available. I sometimes feel like my level of zoom and the sizing of the post its is not calibrated. it's hard to know how much to zoom in so that I can still read what's on sticky notes while still seeing the surrounding ones.

• Industry: Information Services

Reviewed on 01/04/2022

Excellent tool for ideation and collaborative processes

At the top of the tools that I use for collaborative process. I compare with other tools as Miro and Lucidchart and Mural is the best for far.

Pros

The tool includes many functionalities to share ideas and customize boards for almost any king of collaborative process (Design Thinking, Agile Ceremonies, Kanban boards, etc).

Cons

Maybe simplicity of the tools, when you are using the tool for a long time and get familirez with it, you going to need some strongest functionalities ir order to cover more ideas that come to you during the creation of boards.

Andrea

Reviewed on 02/12/2021

Great for remote work

We use it for building out the roadmap, workshops and ideation.

Pros

I love that you can create workshops from templates, you can have people vote, you can build out roadmaps, and you can have a ton of people collaborating at the same time. It really makes remote collaboration possible.

Cons

The links. It's not clear when stuff is linked because it just shows a small link icon in the bottom of the card.

Ashish
  • Industry: Internet

Reviewed on 11/09/2018

One of the best tool for remote collaboration

So far the experience has been smooth and rewarding, You don't need to travel to brainstorm ideas quickly with your remote teams or planning​ a project with teams in multiple locations.

Pros

Gone are are the days when you have to be co-located to run a workshop or collaborate with remote product teams, you can now think and collaborate visually anywhere anytime. I love how it mimics the real world experience of brainstorming, project planning or synthesizing the data, a lot of data. It does it all in real time without the needs of the team to be co-located. If you are new to design thinking, they already have the readily available template which can be used to run a workshop or just brainstorm the ideas. It works better on laptops/desktops but the best on touchscreen​ devices. A dream setup would be giant touch screens in all the locations.

Cons

Downloading the date for offline use takes time, It sends download link on registered email id. Time taken for that email to hit your inbox is not consistent, sometimes you get it within seconds and sometimes it takes minutes.

Kalavati

Reviewed on 26/02/2021

Great Platform for Effective Collaboration

Pros

1) Ready to use templates (Business, retro)
2) No need to register
3) Easy to use
4) Helpful customer support

Cons

UI has room for improvisation

The current UI looks clutter

Need to motivate folks to use Mural

• Industry: Religious Institutions
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Reviewed on 05/04/2020

The digital whiteboard for the 21st century

Mural has helped our organization up the collaborative and interactive quotient to virtual meetings. It functions similarly to a whiteboard, but in the digital space. No more taking pictures of notes and trying to digitize them later. We just work directly in Mural and can even screenshare to see the space developing and growing in real-time. It helps us organize and align our thoughts as a team, while providing an artifact for later reference.

Pros

Mural is the thing you don't think you need and resist paying for or trying because you just don't need one more digital tool in your life and workflow. Until you experience it and realize you were so wrong. It's the one tool you actually can't live without. The concept is simple: a free space to create with a simple range of options (mostly text boxes and post-it notes). Think of it like a digital whiteboard. Then try to imagine life and meetings without a physical whiteboard. Exactly.

Cons

The range of options for what you can add to a Mural is somewhat limited, but that's a key part of its success. Having too many options would be paralyzing. Once you master the basic controls and options, the sky is the limit for what you can do. Lots of templates are available to help you get started or inspire you with what others have done and the Mural team is always offering support and webinars to help you explore the tool more deeply. One thing that has frustrated new users is getting the hang of controls especially if you are using on a computer (mouse vs trackpad controls are a bit different). But that is easily solved if you can get over your initial discomfort and commit to learning something new.

Leonardo

Reviewed on 29/04/2022

Mural is one of the best collaboration tools you can find

Pros

We use it for everything, standup, retrospectives, mind mapping, online collaboration and much more. There are a lot of great templates.

Cons

It is expensive and some templates are tricky to use.

Miro
Özen
  • Industry: Oil & Energy

Reviewed on 30/12/2020

Makes Online Meetings More Effective

Before Mural, longer online workshops were not effective. Many attendees were losing their focus and the meetings were transforming into inefficient gathering activities. With Mural, we keep all attendees alive and interactive. You can reach working canvas where ever you are and especially voting feature makes easier to get mutual decisions in a democratic environment.

Pros

It allows all participants to work together and collaboratively at the same time. It is easy to use

Cons

I would like to have more templates to use. An open library would be beneficial to adopt this software easier.

Rob

Reviewed on 28/02/2019

Mural enables easy digital collaboration from novices to pros

I've been able to grow with mural and explore new worlds of collaboration ... both enhancing face to face workshops and enabling remote collaborators to have equal voices. Support from the mural team to help us explore new ways to effectively collaborate (not just use their software) have been compelling.

Pros

I really appreciate how easy it is to dive in and get started with little complexity or knowledge. Drop some stickies on an empty whiteboard and you're off ... or play with templates, voting, and other advanced features to drive amazing new collaborations that are only possible in the digital world.

Cons

In the past, I have disliked the lack of feature parity between web and mobile versions. That has recently improved.

Nathan
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Reviewed on 11/05/2019

Digital-first collaboration

MURAL brings the whiteboard and the design studio wall online so that I can collaborate with clients and colleagues around the world. Now my entire workflow is in a digital medium, so I can a lot of efficiency that way.

Pros

I love that I can send anyone a link to a MURAL board and within 5 minutes they're totally comfortable using it. Yet beyond its simple on-boarding experience is a lot of flexibility that supports a wide variety of use cases.

Cons

There are some small interaction details reduce elegance: I'm not crazy about how its arrows/lines connect to notes/shapes. And it's hard to have a consistent typographic hierarchy, because text scales with shapes, and there's no other way to control type size.

Israel
  • Industry: E-Learning
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Reviewed on 08/11/2021

Slick whiteboard option on paid plan

Overall, Mural was the best digital whiteboard experience I had, but I had to look for alternatives due to the issue with the trial period. I think that the other players in this space are catching up with Mural so that now I'm a customer of another tool.

Pros

The software works really well. Even when collaborating with many other users simultaneously, the "Facilitation Superpowers" are a convenient set of tools.

Cons

I started using Mural on the trial version, and when the trial expired, they locked me out. I had to contact the support team, which gave me a few more days to export a PDF version of my murals. They claim to have a "free forever" version now. But I haven't tested it yet.

Miro and Lucidspark