Hubstaff Reviews

About Hubstaff

Whether businesses are starting up a new team or looking for a better way to manage employees, Hubstaff has everything required to run teams confidently. With the innovative and robust time tracking and task management solution,...

Browse Hubstaff Reviews

1,459 of 1,459 reviews
Ashish
Ashish
  • Industry: Online Media

Reviewed on 01/06/2022

The best Employee Monitoring Software in Market for Remote Employees

It was a great experience, the software is scalable and affordable. It only adds cost upon usage which is critical.

Pros

As a company with lots of employees working remotely for us, we need strong software to monitor employees' performance and act according to the efficiency analysis. Its best feature is idle time management which helps you know if some employee is sitting idle.

Cons

Customer support is delayed a bit. We sometimes faced problems with Windows computers, this is somewhere Hubstaff needs to work it more user-friendly for Windows.

Roldan
Roldan
  • Industry: Design

Reviewed on 27/03/2022

Using Hubstaff for 5 years more. Seem it has improved!

Really just fine. What more should I look for as a freelancer who just need to track time for a project. Then send a a simple invoice at the end. As far as I'm concerned, I have a good experience with the app. If I have to suggest, maybe as a UX/UI Designer, they can enhance the looks an feel of the software to make it more professional and appealing to users.

Pros

Straightforward. Just the thing you need, you'll find it. Pretty much like any other time tracking software - as freelancer it has screen capture, invoicing, offline tracking and all...

Cons

It's just straight forward. Maybe they can add quick chat for client. Instead of additional login to browser when you need to quick communicate with your client.

Response from Hubstaff

Hey Roldan, thank you for submitting this review for Hubstaff! We are happy to hear that you are enjoying using Hubstaff for your time tracking needs.

We want to continually improve the platform and our offerings, so we do welcome all feedback onboard. Please feel free to go to https://roadmap.hubstaff.com/ and add any ideas for features to be implemented.

Replied 29/03/2022
Jeff
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Reviewed on 07/02/2024

Avoid at all costs

Miserable.
Trying to communicate with internet only, software as a service companies is always difficult. These guys even more so.

Pros

Great at time tracking.
Lousy with continuous charges when canceled or non use.

Cons

Canceled my account and they kept charging me

Top Hubstaff Alternatives

Gabriela
Gabriela

Reviewed on 23/11/2023

Hubstaff monitors productivity and remote report integration

It is a program that monitors the time and productivity of remote teams and individuals. It offers features such as time accuracy, job monitoring with screenshot collection, project management tools and web-based time sheets. It is very helpful to the user. Its tone is friendly, and its narratives and studies are helpful for decision making.

Pros

What attracts me most about the product in question is the remote group collaboration, which supports conversation and coordination among members. It facilitates work distribution, progress control and document sharing. There are many types of reports that expose employee capacity, program costs and customer billing. These documents can be customized and exported, which supports personnel management and other tasks. Its use in mobile allows workers to track time, GPS tracking and position at the time they work remotely, this can be beneficial for employees in the sector.

Cons

The degree of intrusion and monitoring associated with functions such as screenshots and constant control of the distribution between work and personal life can generate doubts, and the price can be a major drawback for micro-sized companies, due to the fact that it is based on a subscription.

Jisselle
Jisselle
  • Industry: Consumer Goods
  • Used for 2+ years

Reviewed on 04/11/2020

I have used Hubstaff for over 2 years

I love it! Still use it and recommend to other colleagues.

Pros

I like that it comes with the integrated time doctor, detailed reports for the team activity & productivity, as well as the recruitment Hubstaff Talent platform, I'd say it's the best remote hiring platform. Have found many employees from there.

Cons

There's no payroll integration with Payoneer. It's tough to do payroll with limited options.

TimeCamp, Monitask and Clockify

Reasons for Choosing Hubstaff

The freelancer platform was better. Upwork is too costly to post jobs.

Enterprise Suite

Reasons for Switching to Hubstaff

Hubstaff Talent & Task Manager.
Luis Daniel
Luis Daniel

Reviewed on 02/08/2019

Awesome tool to track productivity

Pros

This is by far the most robust time tracking software I've ever tested. I love the screenshot taking feature and how easy is to create new tasks

Cons

I don't like that the pricing model is not per user, so let's say you have 6 employees you need to get the 10 employees plan instead of adding just one additional user.

Response from Hubstaff

Hi Luis,
Thanks for the feedback!

It is great to hear that you are enjoying software and screenshot feature.

In regards to the pricing model we understand that our current pricing model may not fit everyone which is why we are adding a per user plan shortly.

If you have any questions feel free to reach out to our support team and we will be happy to help.

Thanks again!

Replied 05/08/2019
Mohit
Mohit

Reviewed on 04/02/2021

Tracking progress of candidates and project with their daily activities.

Pros

This was the most usable product for my team in the lockdown period. We have successfully managed the team remotely in the whole lockdown period.
The time tracking and screenshots of the screen is a most useful feature.

Cons

It removes the collaboration of the basecamp app.
It is having a difference in time calculation of candidate and admin (as received multiple complaints from the team).

Time Doctor

Reasons for Switching to Hubstaff

Cost of integration and a lesser understanding of the product.
Amir
Amir
  • Industry: Utilities

Reviewed on 02/06/2022

Amazing product and even more amazing support team

Pros

It was a perfect fit for us as we have teams in 3 different locations (all remote) and their tools give us an eagle eye view of everything that is going on.
I used to use a competitor of theirs a few years ago and when I tried out Hubstaff, noticed they are leaps and bounds above them.
Service second to none. Chat 24-7-365, respond in under a minute and 9/10 resolve your issues on the spot.

Cons

Seriously cant think of a flaw at this juncture

Response from Hubstaff

Hello Amir, thank you for taking the time out of your day, in order to leave us this review.

I just wanted to provide a little correction, to make it clear for other customers, our live chat is available 24 hours a day over the weekdays. We provide support over email during the weekends.

Thank you again for taking the time to leave us this review and we hope you will carry on having a productive and enjoyable experience using the platform.

Replied 06/06/2022
Robert
  • Industry: Utilities
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Reviewed on 30/06/2023

Really user friendly

Pros

Best onboarding experience I've had so far. Really easy to navigate and I felt comfortable using this platform within minutes. Very helpful getting started videos sprinkled throughout the site, and packed with features.

Cons

If I had to nit-pick I would say that they should allow you to select your preferred plan during the free trial period. It looks like they stick you on the best plan for the free trial to try an get you to renew on the best plan. A tad sneaky.

BambooHR

Reasons for Switching to Hubstaff

Was recommended by a member of our senior management team
Hannahley
  • Industry: Outsourcing/Offshoring

Reviewed on 05/02/2024

Time-tracking

Keep it up to all team and staff of Hubstaff!

Pros

Very Efficient and easy to use for first timers like me.

Cons

Every 10 mins screenshots and the idle time.

Eberechi

Reviewed on 19/07/2020

Monitoring Remote Workforce with ease

Hubstaff makes it extreme to monitor my remote workforce.

Pros

Hubstaff makes it very easy to mange my remote staff. The screenshots keeps me up to speed on what each developer is working on. The activity level helps me to monitor how much each developer is putting in and they get an immediate feedback from me.

Cons

The reporting for hours worked can be made easier to get to.

Response from Hubstaff

Hello Eberechi, I hope this message finds you well. Thank you for using Hubstaff for your remote workforce. We're glad you are having a good experience.

abdullah
  • Industry: Media Production

Reviewed on 31/10/2022

My experience with Hub Stuff for over 4 years

Pros

Ease of use, flexibility and availability at all times

Cons

The large amount of reports and their presentation format :)

Calamari

Reasons for Switching to Hubstaff

I work on both systems, but for remote work I rely on Hapstaff

Response from Hubstaff

Hello Abdullah,

Thank you for leaving us this review for the platform. Indeed, at the moment, we do have a large number of different reports that are used to provide detailed information about a specific aspect of the time tracked on the organisation.

However, please keep in mind that we are in the process of releasing Hubstaff Insights, which is a paid add-on for Hubstaff, that offers analysis of various different reports together, using parameters set up by the organisation that utilises this add on. I believe this will be of great benefit to both yourself and other users, or organisations, that are wanting to have a quicker and easier way to analyse the information recorded by Hubstaff.

For more information about the add on, we do have the following support article here - https://support.hubstaff.com/hubstaff-insights-add-on/

Replied 14/11/2022
Benjamín
Benjamín
  • Industry: Furniture

Reviewed on 25/03/2019

Hubstaff is a very cool and light tool for time tracking

As a time tracking, payment management, and employee monitoring software, Hubstaff does a great job. It does help many companies keep track of their employees and is pretty comprehensive and even fun to use (when you look at it form the browser). Aside from the archaic Windows app, which has many problems, I have no complaints.

Pros

I've only used Hubstaff for time tracking with my company, I've never used it individually, but I've worked with it with two separate companies so far (as a freelancer), and when comparing it to other time tracking and monitoring tools, I find Hubstaff to be one of the most easy to use and amenable. The thing I like the most is the comprehensive user experience from my end, though I can't speak for admins. As a worker I enjoy being in control and up-to-date with my activity.

Cons

I would say that working with Hubstaff can get a little pressuring because of the activity system in place. What I mean is that I understand the way they measure activity but I do believe that looking for an activity sign every second can be very daunting, especially when some affiliate companies look for activity percentages higher than 80% for their employees. This forces many freelancers into a burnout trying to achieve these impossible productivity standards. Of course, Hubstaff can't claim responsability for what its users decide to do with it, but since it's fairly understandable that we (as workers) don't necessarily press keys or move the mouse at all times, maybe it would be better if they counted one activity sign every two (2) seconds, for example. Or if they offered ways to take breaks that were a direct part of the software and not something entirely at the discretion of one's employer. Hubstaff is great, but its current system does seem to favor employers more than employees, in my opnion, and this could lead to exploitation. Another thing is that the Windows app really needs an update, it has many bugs and doesn't look well on the UX side. There should be more options, not just an outdated-looking time tracker.

Reviewed on 21/06/2023

Increasing your team's efficiency and productivity

Hubstaff has proven to be an effective time management and productivity analysis tool. Its ability to track employee locations and generate detailed reports has assisted us in improving team efficiency and collaboration. Although the integrations could be expanded, Hubstaff's core functionality is solid and provides useful insights for informed decision-making. I recommend this platform to businesses looking to improve the productivity and performance of their work teams.

Pros

I appreciate the ability to track employees' locations and record time based on their geographic location. This feature is available through Hubstaff, and it allows me to easily monitor the activity of my team members, particularly those who work in different locations. This has been particularly beneficial for distributed teams, and it has improved our coordination and collaboration.Hubstaff provides detailed reporting and analytics on teamwork time, productivity, and efficiency in addition to location tracking. This information has enabled us to make more informed decisions and improve our work processes. The ability to analyze how time is distributed and where changes can be made has allowed us to maximize productivity while reducing inefficiencies.

Cons

Hubstaff's integration with other tools is one of its limitations. While it includes some integrations with specific tools, I believe this section could be expanded to include more options. As a digital marketer, I use several tools that are specific to my job, and it would be advantageous to have a deeper integration with them within Hubstaff.

Tiana
  • Industry: Media Production
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Reviewed on 23/06/2022

Perfect for remote work and task tracking

Pros

Hubstaff makes remote work easy. It can be easily installed on a computer and used immediately by employees. The time-tracking and task management is the appeal of the software. Both users and managers are able to check-in with their daily progress for task and time management. In the simplest sense, Hubstaff is an easy way to track employee productivity.

Cons

Aside from screenshots being taken a tad too often (which can feel invasive for users), the one improvement I'd suggest is more of a real-time update on the dashboard of reported hours. Sometimes there is a delay in an employee's time reporting causing discrepancies between managers and workers. In addition, productivity reports are not always accurate. It seems the productivity reporting bases stats on how often a Hubstaff user moves their mouse, which isn't always indicative of timespent.

Response from Hubstaff

Hello Tiana, thank you for leaving this detailed review of our platform, along with your proposed improvements to the platform.

There can be times where there is a delay in the upload of time tracked to our servers - with that being most of the time being the case when the user's time tracker is not able to temporarily upload its tracked data to our servers. If and when this occurs, it will mean that the time tracked by the affected user will only be displayed on the organisation's account once the connection can be made and information uploaded.

Hubstaff measures activity percentage by taking the time during which activity was detected - via mouse or keyboard - and calculating that as a percentage from the total time spent tracking. Naturally there will be legitimate reasons and business needs for which activity may be lower, such as during calls or meetings. It is possible to create specific projects on Hubstaff with that in mind, where you can disable activity tracking.

Replied 27/06/2022
Leri
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Reviewed on 19/07/2022

Hubstaff is a great time tracker for remote workers

Hubstaff is a easy program to use for time tracking. It is ideal for anyone working remotely. It has many other useful features for program managers and payroll - which requires playing around with the features to get to understand where everything is. But if you just want to log time, it's easy to use and anyone can do it.

Pros

Hubstaff's time tracker is great and convenient to use. Having a Chrome extension available makes it even better as the tracker is available right in my browser so that I can pause and resume time tracking easily when needed.

Cons

Despite all of the reporting options available, it can sometimes be difficult to find where to get an overview of the hours worked for a specific time period (using dates). I had to look through all the sections a few times to find it. I also don't like that it goes idle if you're not physically using the mouse - such as when I'm in a Zoom meeting (which is still work). Even though you can still count those hours, they still negatively effect the productivity score.

Response from Hubstaff

Hello Leri, thank you for providing us with this detailed review of our platform! The "Time and Activity" report would be the best report for you to use, in order to get the time worked by a specific member of the organisation, for the period of time desired.

When it comes to the idle time that Hubstaff records, it does record the time during which there is no activity recorded by the user, via the usage of mouse and/or keyboard. If you find yourself in meetings where you are going idle too often, you may want to consider increasing the idle timeout from the default value of 5 minutes to a different one to better suit your needs.

Additionally, when it comes to the activity percentage calculation, it is possible for the activity of certain projects to not be counted towards the overall activity calculation. So, a project called "Meetings" could be created, with the activity tracking disabled for it, and that could be used specifically for tracking time to meetings.

Replied 25/07/2022
Elizabeth
  • Industry: Market Research

Reviewed on 06/06/2023

Easy Time Tracking But Has Some Downfalls

I find Hubstaff to be user friendly but with downfalls that affect my overall opinion. If the desktop app did not impact the performance of my device, I would be happier with Hubstaff. Some features I can appreciate the intention but can't always be used reliably, such as the activity tracker. The activity tracker reports your and your team's active mouse movements on the screen. This percentage doesn't mean much if you are in meetings throughout the day as Hubstaff will report those times as inactive.

Pros

Hubstaff's desktop app is very user friendly and makes switching between projects easy. Admins can add or remove projects from user's list easily. The app does take screenshots of the user's screen which can be useful in certain cases. User's can be added to another user's "team" so that managers can view team member times and activities in a daily email summary or by logging into the online account without being a Hubstaff admin.

Cons

Hubstaff uses a lot of computer memory, especially the screenshot feature. Several users have reported the performance of their computer is affected. There is a mobile app but I have found it only works intermittently, most times I receive an error saying the feature is not available.

Laine

Reviewed on 06/08/2019

Great time tool

We are a completely remote company, and Hubstaff makes it possible to track our individual time spent on all projects, report on that time, send payments in some cases, and keep a detailed log of work that was completed on tasks.

Pros

I like the ability to track individual tasks and customize a dashboard on the homepage to show the metrics that are most useful to you, the individual user.

Cons

The sync with Confluence takes a while to upload tasks into the pop-out timer, and I feel that time is wasted waiting for the update on the timer to occur so I can start tracking time. I also think that the way the timing works per week should be based on the individual user's time zone, and not the company time zone.

Response from Hubstaff

Hi Laine,
Thanks for your feedback,

It is great to hear that our software is helping you with managing your remote team.
We understand that it can be frustrating when you need to update the tracker.
However when you update the tracker this means you can use the most recently added features and tools,

We apologize for the inconvenience and if you have other feedback you would like to discuss feel free to contact our support team directly and we will be happy to help.

Thanks again,

Replied 12/08/2019
Ray

Reviewed on 04/06/2019

Cenedex Software Solutions - Hubstaff Review

Hubstaff has been our preferred platform to track all of our employee hours and tasks for a very long time, and we are extremely happy with the results in helping us organize our work flow and management.
We have been able to realize the ease in a long standing promise of transparency to our customers by sending frequent, detailed reports on the hours of developers on client projects.

Pros

We especially love about hubstaff is the newly released "Hubstaff Tasks" function which allows us to track the task along with the time taken for each user. As a software company that prides itself in transparency, our clients truly appreciate seeing how their money is spent, and Hubstaff offers them the perfect easily-exported PDF files.

Cons

Rather than what we like least, we recognize that each platform is a growing and developing business, and Hubstaff has show us that they are constantly improving to meet customer needs.
To this extend I would love to see these improvements in the next major update:

1) To be able to connect one-single project to multiple integrations at a time, for example to Hubstaff Tasks as well as Quickbooks.

2) To be able to upgrade a single user or owner to a higher plan, so as to take advantage of the higher tier benefits.

3) To be able to edit Immutable times from external integrations, in the case of Human error in selecting projects or Tasks.

Jason
Jason

Reviewed on 20/07/2020

Love me some Hubstaff

Pros

It has revolutioned the way that we manage our employees. It's amazing to be able to see granularly what they are doing so we can manage them more effectively and have them use their time more productively.

Employees waste time, let's face it with Facebook, cell phones, lots of other stuff is distracting them and wasting you the owner ofyour companies time, give them an inch, they will take a mile. Let's keep honest people honest and let them know from the beginning, if they are here to work, they are here to work and not to waste any time!

Cons

None really, I love it. It has met and exceeded all of my expectations.

Time Doctor

Perceived ease of use

Response from Hubstaff

Hi Jason, we appreciate this! Thanks and stay well.

Reviewed on 03/05/2019

Incredible time-tracking software

Pros

This is a very, very easy-to-use time management software that can work in businesses of many shapes and sizes. I love that rather than just digitally tracking time, you can even assign your time to different projects, locations, etc. It works on Mac and PC flawlessly, and although I haven't used the mobile app, I've heard good things about it.

In terms of trusting your workers, it even can screen capture the main display of their PC/Mac to ensure they aren't slacking off. This also tracks how much "activity" (mouse movement only, I think) per 10-minute period.

Cons

Really not too many cons with this one - very straightforward as an enduser, and very straightforward to setup for others.

I think that presentation wise, the program could be rebranded to be a bit cleaner-looking, or higher-end. It's simple, it works, but I think it could be visually enhanced a tad. In terms of function, there's not much to criticize other than editing time after the fact. I have found it sometimes cumbersome to overwrite/change old time entries after entering them, as when it overlaps with another time, it doesn't allow you to submit.

Reviewed on 21/06/2021

It does the Job, and does not interrupt

It's great, just the right tool for the job, and I barely feel that I'm being monitored, it takes your mind of that and just gives you enough space to focus on your work.

Pros

* It's a great productivity tool to have for a company who want's to manage their employee activity tracking with ease.
* Easy to setup specifically in the employee's side.
* Does not require much resource, you'll barely feel it running on the background even though it takes screenshot of your desktop by the minute, so you'll never get interrupted by it.
* Accurate activity & time tracking
* Smart features, like when an employee is inactive for a certain amount of time, it will pop-up a prompt informing the employee that he/she is already inactive, when you get disconnected from the internet it will still resume time tracking, but the activity tracking will halt and it will sync back once your connected again.

* Frequent updates, which in turn addresses any existing bug in the software.
* Cross platform

Cons

* An occasional automatic-stop-time issue, it rarely happens, but when it does, it's a huge hassle.
* Automatic logging out issues, these are knit-picked issues really, and future users might not experience this anymore due to frequent updates done by the hubstaff dev team.

Reviewed on 25/11/2022

used it daily for 13 months for my remote job

Pros

i managed to work remotely with this app and my manager introduced this software for me and showed me how its amazing tracking for time and some screenshots being taken to assure to the boss that work is in progress

Cons

i would say alittle bit should include a warning to the employee that he is being tracked by some managers, lucky for me my manager told me the way it goes but you can be tracked with out your consent if you don't know this app and start using it

Response from Hubstaff

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to submit this review of Hubstaff. We are happy to hear that you have enjoyed your experience on the platform.

Please be advised that Hubstaff aims to provide transparency both for the person(s) tracking time, as well as to their organisation's management, about the information being tracked in displayed on Hubstaff as a result of the tracked time. This is why the same information is available to both parties on Hubstaff, so both are in the clear as to what information has been tracked and is available on Hubstaff.

Additionally, it is the case that the person tracking time has to manually start the time tracker on their computer, or other device, when the time time tracking is to be done, in order to it to happen.

Replied 06/12/2022
Amanda

Reviewed on 08/04/2021

Nice for employer, terrible for employee.

As a user, I did not like Hubstaff at all. It causes added tension during the workday and makes you feel like you need to be staring at your screen 100% of the time. Phone/Zoom calls are not considered in their metrics. As an employer, I understand wanting to see how productive your employees are, but processes should be in place to where you know if they are doing their job naturally. Have a little trust in your employees and they'll do great work for you.

Pros

The user-friendly interface made it a very easy software to install and use. As a user, you can easily see what your manager will see and judge your productivity on it.

Cons

It's terrible being monitored by mouse and keyboard usage for 8+ hours a day. Your productivity isn't measured by those metrics. For example, we had zoom meetings during the day to discuss streamlining processes between departments. Hubstaff showed that we were not working at all for that hour meeting, which skews the daily metric TERRIBLY. I also do not think it's beneficial for employers to hover over their employees strictly, but that's not HubStaff's fault.

Response from Hubstaff

Thanks for the feedback!
We understand that the tracker does not take into consideration calls and meetings.
If your job role requires you to be on calls or in meetings we recommend that you discuss it with your employer as all of the tracking requirements are fully customizable by your employer.

Thanks again!

Replied 13/04/2021
Tri
Tri

Reviewed on 17/07/2020

Hubstaff, your go-to tool to manage the remote working

Hubstaff is a tool I recommend to all people manage a team of remote workers.

Pros

The integration with many platforms and how they communicate seamlessly.

Cons

I work with Jira. Sometimes it has verification problem which makes the calculation of the work time inaccurate.

Time Doctor and Harvest

Reasons for Switching to Hubstaff

Screenshot features and the package.

Response from Hubstaff

Hi Tri, thanks for the honest feedback! For any issue you may experience while using Hubstaff, please don't hesitate to talk to us through our official support email, [email protected]. Thanks and stay safe.