About Hubstaff

Whether businesses are starting up a new team or looking for a better way to manage employees, Hubstaff has everything required to run teams confidently. With the innovative and robust time tracking and task management solution,...

Browse Hubstaff Reviews

1,196 of 1,196 reviews
Diane S. Diane S.

Reviewed on 05/02/2019

Constantly Rated As Poor Productivity Even When Working Hard

My overall experience with this software is a very poor one. While I appreciate what you're trying to accomplish with the software, especially for remote employees such as myself, it just isn't working out for me personally. As I said earlier, it's going to wind up costing me my job because the software is telling my management that I'm not working when I am. The software also doesn't account for things like needing a lavatory break or taking our (legally required) paid time breaks. If I were to take my 30 minute paid time breaks every day, my productivity would just sink into the teens. There's also no way to account for meetings or times I am on the phone where I am still being productive and working but since I am not clicking anything or typing it thinks I am sitting doing nothing.

Pros

I like the way Hubstaff is designed. It's intelligent and user-friendly. It's sleek and very polished and up-to-date with modern design standards and as a user I am easily able to access the dashboard and different features and see the differences in productivity from minute to minute, see the screenshots, see the tracking points, etc. From the perspective of direct user experience, it's ace.

Cons

However, my qualms with Hubstaff far outweight its superior design structure. The program, to me, is broken. No matter how hard I work, I have never had a day above 40% productivity - and that only happened once. I am usually rate in the mid to high 20s, even on days when I am busting my butt to get work done. I don't know why I am having these problems with the software, because I know I am working, I know I am getting work done, but why am I being rated so poorly? This software is going to wind up costing me my job, and that makes me furious.

Response from Hubstaff

Hey Diane,

Sorry you aren't having a good experience. Let me explain how Hubstaff tracks activity, and if you still think you should be getting a higher score, please contact our 24/7 support team at [email protected]

Your activity levels may be lower or higher depending on your responsibilities. Manual and mobile time tracking can also lower your productivity levels so include a note to your employer letting them know what you were working on. Here is a helpful article about how activity levels are tracked: https://support.hubstaff.com/how-are-activity-levels-calculated/

Replied 08/02/2019
Mohit S. Mohit S.

Reviewed on 04/02/2021

Tracking progress of candidates and project with their daily activities.

Pros

This was the most usable product for my team in the lockdown period. We have successfully managed the team remotely in the whole lockdown period.
The time tracking and screenshots of the screen is a most useful feature.

Cons

It removes the collaboration of the basecamp app.
It is having a difference in time calculation of candidate and admin (as received multiple complaints from the team).

Time Doctor

Reasons for Switching to Hubstaff

Cost of integration and a lesser understanding of the product.
Roxanne H. Roxanne H.
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

Reviewed on 18/12/2018

Everything we need!

Its a pretty solid program to keep track of your productivity and sometimes I even use it to go a couple days back to check if I was able to do tasks that I may have slipped my mind.

Pros

- random screen capture every 10 minutes that allows managers to check if employees are focused on their intended tasks
- lets you track running time to the second that can also be used to determine pay.
- you can track overall running time with preset time periods or set your own
- forgot to time in? dont fret! you can edit this and leave a note to state your reason so managers can review and approve or reject the changes
- has a mini time window that allows users to check how much time is running without closing any windows
- works great with Mac and Windows
- Different parameters used to measure productivity
- color coded productivity
- can view daily, weekly, and monthly productivity rate
- easy to use interface
- set tasks, projects, invoices, calendar schedules, admin can limit user access
- easy to use dashboard with graphs of productivity

Cons

- its not an exact science. My task is "Product Sourcing" which greatly relies on scrolling through thousands of pages to find a good item to sell and sometimes it takes the whole 8 hours to find 1-2 good items worth a second look. Hubstaff sees this as not productive and gives me a real low productivity percentage rate.
- it can be manipulated if you still have time in between your tasks like opening new windows and tabs and mixing it with other "movements".

Top Hubstaff Alternatives

Jisselle B. Jisselle B.
  • Industry: Consumer Goods
  • Used for 2+ years

Reviewed on 04/11/2020

I have used Hubstaff for over 2 years

I love it! Still use it and recommend to other colleagues.

Pros

I like that it comes with the integrated time doctor, detailed reports for the team activity & productivity, as well as the recruitment Hubstaff Talent platform, I'd say it's the best remote hiring platform. Have found many employees from there.

Cons

There's no payroll integration with Payoneer. It's tough to do payroll with limited options.

Clockify, Monitask and TimeCamp

Reasons for Choosing Hubstaff

The freelancer platform was better. Upwork is too costly to post jobs.

Reasons for Switching to Hubstaff

Hubstaff Talent & Task Manager.
Richard W. Richard W.
  • Industry: Publishing

Reviewed on 15/09/2018

Good time tracker for individuals

I needed more flexibility in specifying date ranges than I had in the previous time tracker I was using, and Hubstaff delivered! It's not perfect--and sometimes it's frustrating--but it's nevertheless indispensable to me.

Pros

* Apps for OSX, iPhone
* Perfect for individuals
* Allows reports for customized date range

Cons

* Website is often confusing: always have to look around to find the right page for creating a customized report
* Task durations are only downloadable in hour:minute:second form, which makes it cumbersome if you're importing into a spreadsheet and still need to convert to decimal hours (e.g., convert 1:37:17 to decimal)
* Need to enter tasks when setting up a project: can't enter them in the process of entering time. Would be nice to be able to type a task in the dropdown, have the page display an alert ("Do you want to add the task 'Drive to customer site' to the project?"), add the task to the project, and update the drop-down.
* Would like the option for more flexibility in manually entering times, e.g., if I'm doing something from 9:00
a.m. to 9:38 a.m., and I realize that I haven't started the timer, give me the option of manually entering 40 minutes before 9:40 a.m., even if it's not yet 9:40.
* In general, need more configuration options (see above).

Reviewed on 21/06/2021

It does the Job, and does not interrupt

It's great, just the right tool for the job, and I barely feel that I'm being monitored, it takes your mind of that and just gives you enough space to focus on your work.

Pros

* It's a great productivity tool to have for a company who want's to manage their employee activity tracking with ease.
* Easy to setup specifically in the employee's side.
* Does not require much resource, you'll barely feel it running on the background even though it takes screenshot of your desktop by the minute, so you'll never get interrupted by it.
* Accurate activity & time tracking
* Smart features, like when an employee is inactive for a certain amount of time, it will pop-up a prompt informing the employee that he/she is already inactive, when you get disconnected from the internet it will still resume time tracking, but the activity tracking will halt and it will sync back once your connected again.

* Frequent updates, which in turn addresses any existing bug in the software.
* Cross platform

Cons

* An occasional automatic-stop-time issue, it rarely happens, but when it does, it's a huge hassle.
* Automatic logging out issues, these are knit-picked issues really, and future users might not experience this anymore due to frequent updates done by the hubstaff dev team.

Tamara H. Tamara H.
  • Industry: Internet

Reviewed on 27/03/2019

Hubstaff is a great product

Overall, Hubstaff is a great product. I have looked at several other timers and time-tracking utilities, but keep using Hubstaff because of the ease in setting up small projects. I would definitely recommend it to others.

Pros

The desktop widget timer is great, and I can create a project and get to working on it with minimal fuss. This is great for small ad hoc projects that require only a few hours of work.

Cons

It is difficult to see how much total time an individual has worked on a specific project. Ideally, you could select a project and an employee and see the total time that person worked. Also, the "custom" timeframe capability using the calendars doesn't seem to work properly when selecting dates for a report.

Response from Hubstaff

Hi Tamara,
Thank you for the nice review. You should be able to use your Time & Activities report to choose any custom dates you want as well as filter for specific people and projects. The steps to do this are here, https://support.hubstaff.com/save-custom-filters-reports/. Please contact us at https://support.hubstaff.com if there are any questions.
Cristina

Replied 16/04/2019
Jozsef H. Jozsef H.
  • Industry: Internet

Reviewed on 10/09/2015

A company that really gives that plus!

I am with them now for (I think) a month (and a half?).
The desktop App works flawlessly. It is really easy to integrate with Gitlab, Github etc. (I did not try anything else since i'm using these only)
My clients love that they can see that how much time I spent on an Issue. When I close the Issue with the desktop app, it comments to the issue the tracked time.

I can feel that they really care about me as a customer.
I had some issue with the payment (from my bank's side) they extended my trial so I can keep tracking time while my bank fixed the issue... :)

I remember some week ago they were under maintenance for a short time on Sunday (when the less customer were tracking time).
Unfortunately I was online, tracking my time, just to see that I lost 1 or 2 hour.
I reported it, they told me sorry and they even offered to pay the lost hours. :)
I turned down the offer since I could add it manually, but this is something that... that you may be never going to see from other companies. :)

I tried a lot of time tracking solutions but stopped them using after 1-2 weeks.
I'm still using Hubstaff ( I broke my personal record with them )
Maybe the great service, maybe the excellent customer support... I don't really know. They're just right for me.

Pros

They care about you.
Good pricing / well priced.
Easy to use Dashboard.
Easy to use Desktop App. (that integrates pretty well with other services, like GitLab)
They handle your problem lightning fast. Even if it requires further development. I mean seriously... you report a bug or something that it is not working as intended and it gets fixed in a short span of time... (mine got fixed in 1 or 2 weeks, it was some integration problem with Gitlab)

Cons

Well maybe if I could add manual time between any range, like: 8:01 - 8:08 not just every 10 minutes like: 8:00, 8:10, 8:20, 8:30... but I usually track instead of adding manually. :)

Response from Netsoft Holdings, LLC

Thank you! We're happy to see that you can tell that we care about our clients. It's the most important thing to us.

Replied 18/09/2015
Mrugank D. Mrugank D.

Reviewed on 17/07/2020

Simple, accurate work time tracking software for growing businesses

- very happy with the subscription and would like to refer to other companies.

Pros

- easy to use
- setup is not difficult specially while onboarding new person in the team
- client setup and reporting is great
- different kind of reports are very helpful
- there are payment integration software but bring more like i can transfer directly from my bank account.

Cons

- need multiple hours so billing and paying hours could be in different currency. specially when paying country is different then developer's team country
- time off (leave) period should be dynamic . like here we consider financial year so we didn't consider from Jan - Dec instead we consider April - March
- lower activity: report should exclude time below any percentage. at the moment doing it manually and it is very tedious task.

Reviewed on 09/04/2018

Hubstaff is a great way to keep track of your team off your location.

Pros

Hubstaff is a great tool to track down your team and ensure that team is productive in-spite of working in distributed environment.

It is not always necessary to closely monitor the people working for you, however sometimes it is unavoidable. Hubstaff gives a great way to feel satisfied that team is working on the right task & that too with good productivity.

Way to capture screen shots & track down activities are good.

Best way is to customize how many screen captures you want, & what all needs to be tracked.

It is great to use this tool on various platforms & track all very well.

Cons

I liked the previous theme better, though new look is good too.
In desktop version, sometimes I feeling async in time tracking vs web version, but all in all it is good.

Shaan R. Shaan R.

Reviewed on 08/04/2020

Great Tool for project management & generating work reports

We are very satisfied with the overall product. The customer service is very prompt and friendly. That's the best part of it. The interface is also beautifully designed.

Pros

The most amazing feature that we use it for is to generate the number of hours spent on each project. It helps us in making crucial decisions related to pricing.

Cons

Sometimes system takes time to generate reports if you have more than 50 users that you are generating the reports for. It works faster for a small team but for larger teams, generating reports can be time taking. Although there are some workarounds for that, it is still time-taking.

Time Doctor

Pricing and Interface
Dalibor J. Dalibor J.

Reviewed on 23/07/2020

The app has dispelled my doubts for over 2 years

Pros

Screenshots, definitely. Thanks to them, there is no room for any doubts, if the colleagues working on the home office are doing the right things.

Cons

Like a good farmer, I would rather spend no money. But anyway, in comparison to added value, it's the best case to go with.

Lukas B. Lukas B.
  • Industry: Entertainment

Mind at Ease

Wonderful and apprreciative.

Pros

I juggle many projects and I work on many simultaneously. Hubstaff creates with its desktop app, an easy way to start/stop projects. I get to actually SEE how much time I worked on each project. Sometimes I will feel like I spent 30 hours on something when in actuality it was only 8. And then sometimes the opposite.
I love KNOWING how much time I am spending on projects. Then my hourly employees can easily track when they work on projects and I get a clear picture. LOVE THIS!

Cons

I have found it really great and don't have improvement suggestions.

Response from Hubstaff

Hello Lukas, thank you for appreciating Hubstaff! We always aim to provide the best for our customers. For tips and tricks and how-to's, please visit our blog articles and support.hubstaf.com. Thanks, and stay well!

Replied 21/10/2021
Ankit J. Ankit J.

Reviewed on 13/09/2018

Great Time Logging Software. But needs to be more cheaper and User Friendly.

It is a great tool for time logging. However the user interface is really really hard to navigate. Although the color and button scheme is quite modern, the overall travel on the dashboard is quite hard.
It is really awesome if you are managing freelancer, remote workers or contract employees. It brings such a transparency for the entrepreneur so everyone is in loop, client and employees.

Pros

Great tool for Managing team and time logs.
We can now measure our time and especially measure the time of remote workers.
Its also great if I have to give reports to clients. So client dont ask much regarding the efforts that has been put by the agency.
Reports and time log is really awesome.
My friends use the feature of paying the freelancers or contract employees via Hubstaff and recommends it to be great, however I have never used that feature.

Cons

Quite expensive for a small team.
User Interface is extremely confusing. If a new user joins Hubstaff to check reports, it is one of the hardest part for them.
Support is quite poor too. You message them today and they will reply you next day. Although they have attached a chat bot in the dashboard, but no one replies.

Ivona M. Ivona M.

Reviewed on 18/09/2018

Hubstaff helped me and my client in managing our team

Hubstaff is a great tool to manage your remote employees.

Pros

Hubstaff is a great tool to manage your team of freelancers wherever they may be. It allows the team members to track their work progress. The screenshot and work progress tracking function allows the team manager to review how efficient and effective they are in doing their work. Their Payroll feature is awesome too in managing the salary payment of all the team members.

Cons

I believe they can add an instant messaging tool so everyone can message each other while using the time tracking tool.

Response from Hubstaff

Hello! Thank you for your review. We would love to hear more about your instant messaging tool suggestion. We are always looking for feedback on how we can improve the platform. Feel free to contact us directly at [email protected] about this.

Replied 24/09/2018
Jonathan T. Jonathan T.

Hubstaff - 4PatientCare

Pros

We're a fully remote company, so Hubstaff has allowed us to have a system for accountability of working time. Also has made it much easier to work with independent contractors and for them to invoice us accurately and easily.

Cons

The time tracking originally was quite glitchy, with time being lost and tracking starting and stopping randomly. However, the release of the Hubstaff chrome extension has pretty much fully resolved any issues we've had.

Response from Hubstaff

Hello! Thank you for your review. We are sorry that you were experiencing issues with time tracking. Our customer support team is available 24/7 to work through any issues that come up, please feel free to contact us at [email protected] and let us know exactly what the issues were.

Jean S. Jean S.
  • Industry: Investment Management

Hubstaff is great""

We have used Hubstaff for quite a few years now and have always found it suits our needs .Whenever there is an issue (which can happen even in the best of companies )it can always be solved quickly and smoothly by the lovely people in customer support.
Enables us to check on what staff and doing so that we can imptove efficiancy if needed

Pros

Easy to set up use with good ,quick customer service help and advice when needed

Cons

Nothing --unless you could arrange for a phone number to call

Response from Hubstaff

Hello there Jean, glad our support team has been helpful they are always available at https://hubstaff.com/contact. We are grateful for the kind words. Have a nice day and and stay well!

Replied 22/10/2021

Reviewed on 14/09/2018

Great value, with a caveat

Pros

Works well for tracking the hours and activities of various employees, while they're on the go. It's a great reporting tool, and it offers automated payroll; abeit at an additional cost.

Cons

I don't like how it notifies the employee using the software each time there is a screenshot taken. It gives them an opportunity to manage their workflow in such a way that they can predict when the screenshot happens and minimize a window of objectionable content.

Response from Hubstaff

Hello! Thank you for your review. To ensure that you know exactly what your employees are doing and working on, we also offer monitoring of URLs and Apps to ensure that there is complete visibility over what they have open on the machine. Even if a screenshot does not capture non-work related activity, the URL and App features will. If you have any questions about those features, feel free to contact us directly at [email protected]

Great time tracking software

Pros

Hubstaff offers great time tracking features. We currently use regular, manual time tracking which includes features like frequent screenshots, where I can see what my developers are doing, and integrations to task tracking software such as Trello, which allows me to see exactly which feature my devs are working on and how much time they've spent on it. Super useful!

Cons

For my taste, their pricing is a little too high for time tracking. They have different plans, and I feel like for the basic features, which I use, it's too much. For the other features though, it's a good deal.
Their pricing is also a little hard to understand because they apparently have two different types of plans, one being legacy w/ per-use policy, and the other being...different ­čśä

Response from Hubstaff

Hi, we understand the confusion about this, would you like to talk to our sales team to further understand different plans that we offer? Please check out https://hubstaff.com/contact. Thanks, and stay safe!

Replied 21/10/2021
Mahesh G. Mahesh G.

Reviewed on 29/05/2021

Excellent tool for task management & team monitoring

We are using Hubstaff since last 5 years. The outcome is exceptionally good in term of product delivery, scheduling, management and monitoring.

Pros

Hubstaff is one of the best tool to improve your team's performance and identify best and worst performer. One has complete control of team working on which project, task by having screenshot of user screen every 5-10 mins. Self motivating feature act as an enabler for team members.

Cons

Pricing structure, basic and premium. Instead of that a simple pricing would help Hubstaff more business.

Denys V. Denys V.

Reviewed on 14/09/2018

Hubstaff, a perfect time tracking solution for a small studio

Hubstaff is a perfect solution for our small studio (team of 30). We use it in half of our projects and it worked perfectly to the moment. We will continue using Hubstaff and recommend it to similar teams/companies.

Pros

Easy time tracking
Apps for all platforms
Management features and settings

Cons

Lack of ability to archive past projects
No default settings for reports
Plans are not flexible

Response from Hubstaff

Hello! Thank you for your review. In regards to the projects, we do offer the ability to archive them. You can archive them directly from the "Projects" area by clicking on the "Actions" drop down menu. You can also see your archived projects and restore them. Here is some more information about this feature: https://support.hubstaff.com/can-see-archived-projects/

Replied 21/09/2018
Maria lenin L. Maria lenin L.

Reviewed on 13/04/2019

Timesheet for Employees Application

Pros

It is easy to install in my desktop and when its installed and you have chosen the campaign you just login, you stop it during breaks or lunch then log back in as soon as you start working again. What is good is that it gives you the total hours logged in everyday so you can check and edit some hours and have it approved. You submit your Hubstaff total hours depending on your cutoff within the company. Hubstaff also gives screenshot every 5 minutes so it would capture work related open applications you have on your PC.

Cons

So far I like the application, compared to other time tracking applications, this is the easiest to use my employees. No need to click or choose any task if you have a change of task. Simply login and logout during breaks and off. Since it gives a screenshot of what the agent does, then it will give accurate result to the management if the agent is really productive or not.

Vanessa marie V. Vanessa marie V.
  • Industry: Outsourcing/Offshoring

Reviewed on 29/09/2020

Good to have hubstaff!

It has been a great time using hubstaff. We are being monitored efficiently as it has the feature of taking screenshots randomly to check what you are working on from time to time. It will also go idle at certain point when you are doing nothing. It makes every part of the team working and using their time more effectively at work.

Pros

What I love most about this software is its accuracy. You can really track your teammates work progress and see if they are really doing their jobs during their shift.

Cons

Nothing much really. I like everyhting about it since the first day we used it. Very convenient to use.

Moseph M. Moseph M.

Reviewed on 24/04/2020

Great tool for a growing team!

Overall, I've had a really positive experience with Hubstaff. As a remote worker, it's helped me maintain a good reputation with my leaders and also has helped me manage my day a lot better.

Pros

We use this at my job. The app is super stable and on the user end of things, always works as expected. My favorite feature is the productivity score especially as it notifies you via email when your productivity is consistently high. Def helps you stay motivated. On the admin side, you get a really solid report on your user activity which helps drive better accountability across the team.

Cons

It definitely requires one to onboard themselves. It's not the more userfriendly UI, though they do have plenty of user documentation.

Megan G. Megan G.

Reviewed on 26/02/2019

Hubstaff has made managing payroll so much easier

Overall, my experience has been very positive. I'm happy with Hubstaff and will continue to use it!

Pros

Hubstaff is worth every penny even just for the automatic payroll. My team members log their hours in Hubstaff and then every Monday, their pay is sent through Paypal. I used to have to do this manually, and now I don't have to do anything.

It also makes it easier to see how much time each person is devoting to certain tasks, since you can create "projects" for people to log hours on.

I love, love, love that Hubstaff takes screenshots of people's screens and measures the time they spend active while logging hours. It helps me ensure they're actually working when they say they are.

Cons

Hubstaff can be a little tricky to navigate. I usually have to go on a scavenger hunt when I'm looking for something specific. So, it's not always the most user-friendly solution.