athenaOne Reviews

About athenaOne

The athenaOne Suite which includes athenaCollector a revenue cycle management solution and athenaClinials an EHR (electronic health records) recently ranked #1 in 2023 Best in KLAS for athenaClinials Ambulatory EMR for 11-75...

3.6

Browse athenaOne Reviews

Jarred
Jarred

Reviewed on 09/12/2018

Very easy to pick up and get going.

Pros

The user interface is very friendly and everything is set up to guide you through easily while entering patient information.

Cons

Sometimes the add on software like the label printer and document printer would stop working, but that is rare.

Deborah

Reviewed on 16/01/2024

I got my weekends back!

Amazing...I have no plans to change at this time as Athena provides me with the best EHR experience I have had in many years!

Pros

Athena saves me so much time in the day to day operations of patient care and office management. So many features have been set up to same time for providers that many of the task are a few clicks! Like prescribing, referrals, encounter plans and faxing directly from the EHR. And so much of the patient check in, appointment reminders, result notification and scheduling is automated which helps as I am one provider practice without staff.

Cons

I wish there were more areas of customization to allow for more unique practice set ups as my practice is boutique. There are tons of areas where you can customize but some of the patient facing messaging is hard coded and I would like to see those areas gain more options for customization. Additionally, I would like better communication and prioritization transparency about fixing coding bugs that impact Athena's capabilities.

EpicCare, DrChrono, Prime Suite and Charm

Reasons for Choosing athenaOne

Was like slogging through mud to get anything done. They do not provide interfaces for common lab companies unless you meet a certain volume threshold. One referral could take as much as 45 mins to complete because part of the chart had to printed out and manually faxed. The portal was glitchy such that most patients could not use it reliably. And then they switched clearing houses and accounts that were being paid smoothly were suddenly not payable because the secondary insurances where not receiving the correct info from Kareo....40 hours of phone calls with them..never fixed!

Tebra

Reasons for Switching to athenaOne

Much higher capabilities, ease of use and scalable to smaller practices. Also the percentage based fees means the Athena has skin in the game and will constantly be working to improve the product. I need an EHR that grows as the industry grows.

Reviewed on 28/03/2024

AthenaOne is a Reliable solution / User friendly!!!

Pros

Reliable, seamless integration, user friendly , excellent customer service

Cons

I don’t have cons yet, it has a great customer service.

Top athenaOne Alternatives

MedInformatix

Cerner Specialty Practice Management

Intelligent Customer Management

Dr Nicole

Reviewed on 12/05/2020

Nickels and Dimes!

Some good, but everything is too automated and what's important easily falls through the digital cracks.

Pros

Admittedly, the software is easy to use and offers meaningful use suggestions. The five step patient visit is simple to understand. The patient portal is nice, however, the patient facing portion could look more modern. Billing is easy from a practitioner standpoint. It also is starting to integrate with other EMRs so occasionally we can pull labs and imaging from other participating systems.

Cons

Setup was arduous to say the least. Also, once claims are submitted, that's another story. I was sold that this software was all-in-one. They LIED. This is NOT the software for a small practice. They act as if I have an army of billing people when they told me that Athena was all I needed! For example, there was functionality that we needed to be aware of to find an important document from medicare. NO ONE told us and this document languished in some digital box. If we were a hundred person organization, I could pay someone to sit and manage the 20 or so boxes where they put communication. As a result, we got kicked off medicare for THREE months until I found out and remedied the cause.
I was assigned a 'customer success rep' and had to find out who it was because she never scheduled a call. The previous THREE other reps were no better.
They treat small practices like we don't matter.
If you have less than 100 employees, FIND ANOTHER EMR.

I'm in the market for another.

Danielle

Reviewed on 24/02/2024

Frustrating experience

Pros

The actual EMR is well designed and one of the best on the market. The workflows and order sets made use of the EMR very easy to use.

Cons

We liked the Athena EMR. We did not like the Athena One package, the related onboarding process or the corporate policies of Athena. We were told that the onboarding process would be 3 months. During that time we had (unhelpful) weekly meetings with Athena reps.

My staff and myself did the required ,yet excessive, onboarding tasks outside of these meetings. However after 5 months the Athena One build out was still incomplete due to Athena staff's lack of progress. Communications around their delays were met with corporate gaslighting and deflecting. This is a solo provide practice with 1-2 insurance panels. There is no logical reason that the EMR should not have been ready for use after 5 months.

I have used Athena in other settings and it seems that they do a very poor job with submitting claims. Most practice lose money if they re relying on Athena One to submit claims.

Dorothy

Reviewed on 31/08/2022

Going in to second year with Athena

Due to the number of posting errors, frequent changes of account service managers and the need for additional staff to handle the many issues that come up daily, I would never be able to recommend this product to any office.

Pros

There is really little that I can say about liking this software

Cons

Everything to do with billing claims and posting the monies. In addition, Athena calls and texts our patients excessively, to the point that a lot of them have opted out of notifications. I have had several patients recently who wanted Athena's number to complain about their service. That is another thing, you do not have the phone number of that one go-to person for assistance when you hit a wall.

dale

Reviewed on 01/11/2023

Bait and Switch

The athena account manager position ( or title de jour) has been a revolving door. We have never had a meaningful relationship with them before we are assigned a new manager.

Pros

The EMR was initially easy to set up. The billing functionality was adequate at first

Cons

Any requests for improvement are completely ignored. For instance, from the start we were told that an android app was just around the corner. That is still their position 13 years later....it will never happen. We are just told to "put it on the suggestion board". However, the reason for my review today is that the price has suddenly jumped in a huge way. Even though we have been told that the price (Percentage of GROSS collections) will drop over time, they have just raised the percentage that they take again. This is being blamed on "inflation" but obviously inflation alone will increase their withholding since they are on a percentage of collections basis. They in fact are just taking a bigger piece of the pie. Totally dishonest. And it is being done against our will, with no contract negotiation.

Reviewed on 11/03/2022

Not a good choice for Behavioral Health (psychology, psychiatry, counseling, etc.)

Pros

It is fast; automatically saves most of what you type in; does not crash very often (3-4 times/year); email support requests usually answered within 24 hours; online help knowledge base is comprehensive and it has a good search engine.

Cons

Not designed for mental health EHR, patient management, communication. Primary care clinicians say it's "pretty good" although "EPIC is better". Most behavioral health clinicians do not like Athena (based on support forum polls and Athena even admits it if your decipher the corporate-speak.) Athena rarely designs workflows, templates, and processes for Behavioral Health. They cobble together features and processes used by primary care clinicians and staff and tell us it's designed for Behavioral Health. If Athena employs mental health professionals I've never seen them on video presentations or as authors of "how to" resources or anywhere else.

Shalonda

Reviewed on 20/05/2024

Integration with AthenaOne

Pros

Quite a few of our clients currently use this system. With out lab being able to integrate their current patient system with our ERM, our clients do not have to worry bout relearning a whole new system or transferring anything.

Cons

I do not have any cons about athenaOne at this time.

• Used Monthly for 1-5 months

Reviewed on 28/03/2024

HIPAA Compliant and Easy to Navigate

Pros

Ease of use and HIPAA compliance makes it easy to recommend.

Cons

Nothing! This is a great software to use.

Keith

Reviewed on 09/10/2019

Modular Flexibility and 24/7 Access with Value

Great experience for over 8 years now; many of my peers wish they had switched to Athena once they see the capabilities of the product.

Pros

I have seen this software grow over the years and now have friends using it within multiple different services lines in the healthcare industry. Some of the key pros I can think of quickly include:
- Flexibility, (features and design allow of different service locations, and different physicians within the same practice to see/edit EMR information to fit the individual)
- Transparency, (live EMR, Practice Management, Quality Management information is real time)
- ACCESS, simultaneous information access by multiple personnel in the same (or different) practice location
I personally use the product to manage primary care, imaging, laboratory, and physical therapy business lines simultaneously
- Communication with team members and patients by methods of preference (patients can select how they prefer to receive communications (phone, email, text or all)
- Customer service, both online and by phone access the clients get answers to questions quickly.
- Fantastic Online training syllabus. Staff and watch interactive videos to learn new (and more efficient) techniques to use the software in daily tasks. The training material is available 24/7 and moves at the pace the employee prefers.
- Remote access, key team members and physicians can access the information from anywhere at anytime greatly improving communications.

Cons

Advancement requests,or recommendations for improvements, from clients are rated and scored by clients across the system, which is a great design!

Recommendations from the User Community require time to develop, grade, prioritize and implement. Eventually, the highest costumer rated recommendations get attention and are implemented with accuracy; just takes time.

EpicCare, eClinicalWorks and Practice Fusion

Reasons for Choosing athenaOne

I had Medinformatix and Praxis previously. The reasons I switch to Athena were many but primarily: -to improve the information/documentation workflow for the physicians; giving the physicians more control of the process and how they view the data. - gain access to better reporting and transparency on the financials, practice management side - modernize the communication with patients via a certified HIPAA portal -achieve complete compliance to government quality standards (e.g. Meaningful Use, MIPS, etc....) -active online / offsite backups - instance access to alternate (live) server should downtime ever be experienced (for me, only twice in over 8 years)

MedInformatix

Reasons for Switching to athenaOne

The overall package just overwhelmed the competition at the time.
Peter

Reviewed on 04/10/2019

EHR

We still have issues with multiple ICD 10 dx being accounted for by the health insurance companies for patient visit billing. The billing information is limited to a certain number of codes per claim. For complicated patients with multiple problems the claims do not transition over to the insurance company. Usually only the top 4 would. Some patients can have as many as 20 codes per annual encounter.

Pros

Relatively easy to use after training and some oversite during implementation

Cons

It has little functionality for the large multi specialty group for customization. It doesn’t allow quick review of the ongoing story and treatment plan for chronic diseases. Medication flow charts are lacking for chronic disease management. The present ones are too cumbersome and time consuming to customize.

NextGen Office

Reasons for Switching to athenaOne

Leasing option was the best option only given by Athena at that time. Also our billing Dept was impressed with the Athena software for claims rules to prevent and reduce the claim denials.
Bethany

Reviewed on 13/09/2022

run away...very fast

I would NEVER recommend this system to anyone that has any knowledge on how claims and payments should be worked and posted. It's a nightmare.

Pros

Easy to use from a claims submission stand point after that it goes down hill fast.

Cons

Do NOT let Athena co-source with you and do your claims follow up and payments!!

Donna

Reviewed on 20/07/2016

Better than the rest

Our practice has been using Athena for our practice management software for over 10 years and we implemented the Athenaclinicals EMR in 09/2012.

Pros

Athenaclinicals has made Meaningful Use a manageable task by providing us with resources such as a checklist, status list and recommendations to meet Meaningful Use. Also they stay informed about the latest regulations and changes so that we can focus more on treating our patients and managing our practice.
The billing functionality has definitely helped improve our A/R as well as assist us in tracking encounters to ensure we bill everything our providers do.
Their credentialing functionality has also been helpful in assisting with enrollment and credentialing verification.
The EMR and charting functionality is very comparable to other available software.

Cons

The biggest issue we have run into in the past year is with regards to customer service. Athena has changed the way they handle issues that cannot be resolved by your initial CSC call. The only way to "speak to" or contact the people working on your issue is via Athena email. Unfortunately, this leads to miscommunication, confusion, frustration and delays in resolution.
Completing certain tasks are more cumbersome than necessary, at least based on the opinions of our providers and staff. They feel they have to click more "buttons" and complete more "steps" to get to their end result eg. check-in, processing documents, charting.
Athena has so many different features and functionality that it is difficult to make sure you are utilizing the software to it's fullest capabilities for your practice and specialty.

Ann

Reviewed on 18/05/2022

Sea change

When we selected athenaOne, we requested an (unreasonable) implementation within one month. They (appropriately) warned that this was not recommended but went along with us and WE DID IT. There were definitely issues that had to be addressed going forward but it was accomplished fairly quickly and smoothly and we were moving onto process improvement within the two months of implementation. We did identify and make improvements. Implementation for our Ortho group was 3/1/2019 and for the GYN group was 5/1/2019. In 10/2019, our accountant reported that we were better than we had been in 20 years! This is the sea change that occurred. The amount of clinical work and number of patients was not significantly different and despite high staff turnover, a location change, and a new EHR, the improvements that we were able to identify and implement moved us from being underwater to riding a wave of success.

Pros

The most important features of athenaOne which have produced a SEA CHANGE for our practices are 1) easy access to demographic, clinical, scheduling and billing information regardless of your role, 2) remarkable and rigorous data collection and report functions that allow optimal decision-making and tracking of business functions, and 3) an optimal platform for developing and implementing PROCESSES which improve efficiency, reduce human work and reduce human error.

Cons

The only thing I don't like is that I don't optimally use all of the features because I haven't learned what they are yet! We have been using athenaOne for a little over three years and there are still a large number of features and processes that I could implement or use in our small practices. There is always a better way!

Reviewed on 15/02/2017

Consultant with AthenaNet in different practices

My business partner and I have had extensive experience with AthenaNet and EMRs, in general within a spread of different medical practices. AthenaNet is similar to any other EMR in that it works really well for some practices and not as well in others.

Pros

The billing component is extremely beneficial though, I have found that some of my offices have thought that is does ALL billing. (Again, I think it's a lack of understanding and initial training.)

The access to helpline is great. Having a live person to talk to has been helpful. (It's sometimes can take longer periods of time to come to a solution but they normally stay patient until there is a solution. I've been on the phone with help desk for up to 3 hours before.)

Educational videos are always available for staff to turn back to. Live in-office trainings would help AthenaNet to be more successful. (I had a cardiologist go-live with AthenaNet then 3 weeks later returned back to his original EMR. I believe it was because of the lack in training. Physicians don't typically take time to watch training videos.)

The EMR continues to evolve based changes in health care.

AthenaNet assigning scanned paper work to patient charts.

Cons

Common complaints we hear from physicians, staff and admin - there is a lot of scrolling within a patient chart. Yes, you can jump using links but it takes a lot of retraining old habits. Quality Reports can't be adjusted - such as running reports for quality measures for different time periods for in-office comparison. Dates within reports don't show up in the header when printed. Defaults are practice wide and can't be adjusted.

Heather

1.5
Reviewed on 02/07/2014

Ready to pull my hair out!

Pros

Customer support is really responsive and easy to get ahold of. Unfortunately, the level of expertise of the customer support staff is variable, so often, they do not know the answers to the questions we have. Billing is a pretty common area of issue here.

Cons

I was assured that this program had a lot of podiatry based templates and that they were simple to modify. However, there are very few templates for my specialty, and trying to make or change a template is frustrating! It takes an hour at least to do one template. And, you cannot use the same template choice more than once in a template, so if you are trying to chart two feet, good luck!
The EMR takes forever to implement (11 weeks). I think that our implementation manager did not do a very good job of setting us up, so we have been having to try to learn everything on our own, which is frustrating and time-consuming when we are busy trying to see patients.
There is a lot of typing that has to be done during patient visits, which takes a lot of time and slows my pace and ability to see as many patients as I would like. Trying to just put in CPT codes takes forever. Also, save your work every minute because there is no auto-save on this program and I have lost so much information!
Do not believe it if you are told that Athena does your insurance credentialing for you. We have had to do it all ourselves. And you cannot pick and choose what claims are dropped for payment; it is all or nothing, so have a lot of working capital available while you credential.
EFT (electronic funds transfers) have to be done through US Bank. We use Wells Fargo, so I have to do money transfers, which take a couple business days to process, and that is a real pain. We have also found out the hard way that unless we track each individual claim ourselves, secondary insurances may fall through the cracks, leaving money on the table that we have to find and process ourselves. I fear that our income is not going to improve (contrary to their claim that they improve collections by 8%) and, in fact, that we will potentially lose money.
Our paper usage has increased substantially. You cannot just scan documents into the program. You have to fax them to Athena, and they sort them and place them into the patient's chart. However, you have to have a front cover and back cover bar code for each fax you send them so that a one-page fax becomes three pages.
E-prescribing is hit or miss, so I have to double check that all e-scripts actually have gone through. Also, we get numerous complaints about how complicated the patient portal is.

Yagnesh

Reviewed on 17/03/2023

AthenaOne is a great resource for medical professionals looking to modernize their office and...

Overall, AthenaOne is an excellent platform for healthcare providers to use for improved quality care and better business results.

Pros

I like that AthenaOne provides an integrated suite of tools and services to help providers manage their practice and ensure quality care. The medical record is comprehensive and easy to use, and payment capabilities are streamlined. It also includes integration with a clinical network that provides access to additional resources. In addition, the patient engagement feature helps build relationships and facilitate better care.

Cons

The least favorite part of AthenaOne is that it can be a bit expensive to purchase and implement. It may also require additional training to get the most out of its features. However, the cost and time invested in AthenaOne is worth it when considering the long-term benefits it provides.

Vicki

Reviewed on 15/10/2019

EHR for Doctors Office

We really have not had any issues on the EHR side with Athena. I have run into some issues on the billing side and processing of payments, etc.

Pros

The implementation was easy to set-up. Athena was a big help in creating forms and letters. The tempplates are easy to set-up and modify as well. Once the forms have been created you can also make changes to them as well. The order of the check-in through check-out process is set-up in a way that is easy to navigate and goes in order of how you treat your patient. The best part is that Athena takes care of the MIPS, MACRA, etc data that is needed for Medicare without adding additional work for the staff. I like the fact that there are less documents that require scanning, since all of our faxes go directly into the system and are attached directly to the patient's record. The reporting options are also very good with this system.

Cons

I really don't dislike anything about the software, other than it would be nice to track letters that are sent to the patients. So you can print off collection letters or follow-up letters and it would automatically record that a letter went to the patient, without you having to make a notation.

Luis

Reviewed on 09/02/2018

The Best EHR, but can be even better

Pros

- SO easy to use
- Has excellent and easily accessible customer support
- Has a system to "vote" for new ideas and improvements from users
- Maximizes workflow and efficiency
- Allows for fair amount of customization for organizational needs

Cons

While Athena as an organization has a platform to vote on and suggest ideas, they seem less interested in improving the product that they have and more interested in moving forward as the EHR of the future. While I appreciate their aspirations, as a user, I think it would behove them to take a pause and a deep listen to what the users are asking for to improve upon what they already have. The product they have is great, but there are small glitches and ways in which it could be even more smooth and seamless and maximize profit for the users. A great example is that they don't have a well developed way of interlinking CPT2 codes to the necessary places. All this has to be done manually by the users and it is a very clunky and time consuming process. CPT2 codes are the way of the future where insurance companies will be utilizing them to quantify quality. If Athena continues to ignore this gaping lack of service, they will lose clients to other programs (i.e. Epic) which have integrated this process more fully. Athena could benefit from not just listening but acting on what FQHCs have been telling them for years as ultimately this will put them ahead of the game and prepare them for the future of medicine.

Elene

Reviewed on 16/02/2017

Amazing ease of use for providers.

EMRs are dinosaurs and no other industry would accept the dysfunction that we do (because CMS forces us to). Athena updated in May 2016 and now it is even more functional. I have a solo practice. I have ADD and scanning up and down the page to add details was exhausting. Now the sections (Review/HPI/ROS/PE/A&P) are at the top and I can go back and forth easily. If the patient gives me more details during the A and P then I just click on HPI and add the details, then click on A and P again. No scanning. While I am working on the progress note, I can go to diagnosis list, med list, lab and x-ray results, previous visits without going out of the note. The day is much less painful. Unfortunately, I am paying way too much and they will not renegotiate so be aggressive before you sign up. Customer support is good. As the provider base has grown, the support gets less effective. I know more than many of the support staff. They tell me things cannot be done and I have to figure out, often by mistake, how to do what I want. The implementation coordinator did not understand much of what she was doing and after implementation, it is almost painful to fix basic things. Much of it has not been fixed. The first year I almost went under financially and I spent all my savings to survive. My revenues are still not what they were. It did not help that Athena lost $ worth of checks and did not help me get them re-issued.

Pros

Ease of completing progress notes. Really really easy referrals. Accessibility of lab and imaging results. Consult notes not lost. Nothing lost. Confirmations by the system. Eligibility checked repeatedly. They have an interface with all the labs already so you don't have to pay to reinvent the wheel.

Cons

I hate the letter format and cannot get it fixed. The financial piece promised much more than it actually does.

DIEGO ITZJAK

Reviewed on 18/10/2019

Athena satisfactions

It has been overall satisfactory

Pros

Ability to obtain raw data to measure outcomes

Cons

Standards to ensure that table building spaces can easily be audited and evaluate outcomes on table spaces
Reports and communicator have limited capabilities
Uds data reporting and non use of super users to provide support

Intelligent Customer Management

Reasons for Choosing athenaOne

Cost and no availability for data reporting

Intergy

Reasons for Switching to athenaOne

Quality reports and Uds table spaces
Robert

Reviewed on 26/12/2023

Think of your Best Hire - that's Athena

Exceeding our expectations - consistently delivers - 100% recommend.

Pros

Athena has a true "Skin in the game" model, their performance impacts their payment. Negligible start-up costs with great first year and on-going support as well as employees who engage with us to help us succeed and grow.

Cons

We've had to engage with third party vendors for some services we feel Athena should be able to provide. That added cost is not optimal.

Renee

Reviewed on 02/06/2016

Horrible please look at someone else

Pros

I like the fact you can Athena fax records but you can only fax 10 pages at a time through it. More than that it said it was to large to Athena fax. I like that it uses a scanner for ID cards and ins cards. Just keeps a pic of it, does not upload info from the cards while scanning

Cons

Most everything! Still need a biller! I don't know what really I am paying for with this large % they are taking from me.. We work most claims our self. When they say you have a manager to help, they just refer you to the csc.. Which is the 1800 hotline help. Most times they don't know the answer and 1 question takes 15 min to solve. They always say "let me put u on a 5 min hold while I find an answer"
When I need to schedule it is not user friendly. I have to delete an apt to reschedule. Not a good flow.
Now about refunding overpayments. The office has to do it! Again! This is the help Athena states.... When a claim develops a credit balance, the OVERPYMT kick code is applied and the claim moves to OVERPAID status. Then I need to review the claim and investigate whether a payer intends to recover the funds and then determine the appropriate response.
Refund
Takeback
Unclaimed payment

Clients are responsible for working claims with insurance credit balances (overpayments). This includes contacting the payer, reviewing EOBs, and initiating takebacks or refunds.

There is no support at all!!! Everyone points the finger. Manager says call csc.. And csc cannot get answers.

We did not get paid for 3 months when we started back in December 2015. And once I can actually get money and fill my savings again for my business I will be finding a new Emr! The worst financial decision I ever had was going w Athena and believing they are good with billing.
Once you start with Athena you feel trapped because you have to stick it out or you could go bankrupt. I will be glad to talk to anyone wanting to go with Athena and tell you about all my documented problems.

Christina

Reviewed on 17/05/2017

Athena health very time consuming to use, lack of direction provided from athena health as to...

Athena has been a real disappointment and hassle to deal with. I spend more time on Athena EMR then I do with patients. This was not the case with out other two EMR systems. We just wanted to combine billing and patient's notes in one system thus we switched to Athena.

Pros

It is an EMR system to use, can communicate with patients on the portal but have not way of avoiding portal communication.

Cons

Lack of knowledge when you call for support at Athena. Many times I call for assistance and the have no answer and have to get back to you.
Inefficient.
They state you make more money with them since they have high rate of patient collection. However, we have more patients then ever before with outstanding bills and Athena fail to follow up on patients and these unpaid balances. There is no support for that.
Once you sign up for Athena they drop your support and will switch you randomly to new managers to start all over since they cannot follow through. It takes weeks to have a support session with anyone that has some knowledge of the system. They have too many clients and not enough support. After a while, you become numb to it all and give up hope that it will be ever efficient and make practicing easier.