About athenaOne

athenahealth currently works with a network of more than 160,000 providers. The EHR offers a homepage that allows users to review the daily schedule and patient information, manage orders, and view incoming lab results. The...

Browse athenaOne Reviews

Ann carmel A. Ann carmel A.

Reviewed on 13/10/2021

Remote Healthcare VA

Pros

I like how I am able to log in and use the EMR anywhere as long as you have net connection and laptop, especially for me as I'm working remotely. I also like that don't need to connect to a VPN to use the EMR. I love how easy its functionality from registering a patient up to checking out the patient. Most importantly, its very convenient to have macros as it hasten up the documentation.

Cons

A little convenient when you need to type in the specific name and address of a facility that you want to send a referral or fax. I also don't like it when you refresh the page, it does not stay on the page you are on before refreshing. It's very inconvenient when you have to open the chart again after refreshing.

Julie S. Julie S.

Reviewed on 14/10/2019

Bells and whistles

We are a Family Medicine Residency which makes managing the clinic more complex for us than most clinics because our providers are all part-time, there's Faculty over site of the Residents, and they are learning. We went live 2 1/2 years ago with 75 end-users and have been very successful with Athena. Implementation took about 2 1/2 months and was up to full schedules within 5 weeks of go-live. We've added on Dulcian CCM software which has helped us earn a lot of income doing CCM just documenting time we were missing in our old EHR. We've also implemented electronic check in which has helped get more historical information in our charts and more screeners completed on our patients. We realized a 1 FTE decrease in Medical Records and have realized savings in other areas.

Pros

There are lots of bells and whistles built into the software and they are moving towards releasing more and improving all the time. Free interfaces make life so much easier for us! Athena listens to users when developing the software, they are visionary with future software needs in order to meet MIPS requirements. Implementation was big but there were people helping us through each step. We have an amazing Account Manager and meet with him once a month to go over open issues and discuss financials. Athena is overall a very forward-thinking company. Athena Marketplace has lots of add-on features to help make your staff's lives easier. We've acclimated well.

Cons

The tickler system for follow up visits are subject to user errors and need constant review. However, honestly, most recall appointment tools usually do because patients just don't return on time or try to get as much time in between visits as possible. Task assignment over rides (TAO) take some getting used to and are hard to filter for some incoming document situations. I wish there were more filters on the TAOs. Our patients feel like we over-communicate with them so if you go with Athena, make sure you start asking the patients their communication preferences from the first new appointment they schedule with you. It's important to get phone calls unchecked if they do not want reminders in several ways for the same thing. Call campaigns to get patients back in for visits are embellished with their wording and can contradict what you said in your message. ie: You do not need an appointment to get your labs drawn. Then Athena adds You are due for an appointment in the email and you don't even know they are saying that to patients so something to watch. All software has things we wish were different.

EpicCare EMR

Reasons for Choosing athenaOne

The technology was not keeping up especially in the electronic exchange of records area and making sure we'd have all the tools we needed to meet MIPs.

Reasons for Switching to athenaOne

More freedom to do what we wanted with the product. We're a clinic and Epic was more of a software to use for a hospital system.
Jennifer H. Jennifer H.

Reviewed on 15/02/2017

Consultant with AthenaNet in different practices

My business partner and I have had extensive experience with AthenaNet and EMRs, in general within a spread of different medical practices. AthenaNet is similar to any other EMR in that it works really well for some practices and not as well in others.

Pros

The billing component is extremely beneficial though, I have found that some of my offices have thought that is does ALL billing. (Again, I think it's a lack of understanding and initial training.)

The access to helpline is great. Having a live person to talk to has been helpful. (It's sometimes can take longer periods of time to come to a solution but they normally stay patient until there is a solution. I've been on the phone with help desk for up to 3 hours before.)

Educational videos are always available for staff to turn back to. Live in-office trainings would help AthenaNet to be more successful. (I had a cardiologist go-live with AthenaNet then 3 weeks later returned back to his original EMR. I believe it was because of the lack in training. Physicians don't typically take time to watch training videos.)

The EMR continues to evolve based changes in health care.

AthenaNet assigning scanned paper work to patient charts.

Cons

Common complaints we hear from physicians, staff and admin - there is a lot of scrolling within a patient chart. Yes, you can jump using links but it takes a lot of retraining old habits. Quality Reports can't be adjusted - such as running reports for quality measures for different time periods for in-office comparison. Dates within reports don't show up in the header when printed. Defaults are practice wide and can't be adjusted.

Top athenaOne Alternatives

Vicki F. Vicki F.

Reviewed on 15/10/2019

EHR for Doctors Office

We really have not had any issues on the EHR side with Athena. I have run into some issues on the billing side and processing of payments, etc.

Pros

The implementation was easy to set-up. Athena was a big help in creating forms and letters. The tempplates are easy to set-up and modify as well. Once the forms have been created you can also make changes to them as well. The order of the check-in through check-out process is set-up in a way that is easy to navigate and goes in order of how you treat your patient. The best part is that Athena takes care of the MIPS, MACRA, etc data that is needed for Medicare without adding additional work for the staff. I like the fact that there are less documents that require scanning, since all of our faxes go directly into the system and are attached directly to the patient's record. The reporting options are also very good with this system.

Cons

I really don't dislike anything about the software, other than it would be nice to track letters that are sent to the patients. So you can print off collection letters or follow-up letters and it would automatically record that a letter went to the patient, without you having to make a notation.

Mara S. Mara S.

Reviewed on 20/04/2017

Athenahealth EMR Review

Overall there are many good qualities with Athenahealth. I would recommend it to my collegues.

Pros

Appointment scheduling is pretty user-friendly. It would be helpful to have a more defined weekly page with better shading or coloring for a quick weekly glance.
I like the appointment waiting list. I also like the drop-down menus.

Cons

I am not fond of the Templets. There needs to be a way to allow notes on the templates for follow up. It is difficult to see what templets are being used and which ones need to be rolled back. Also, the I do not think learning portal is not very helpful, and there needs to be a better training program especially for templets. It would be helpful to have a reminder that pops up for alerts for billing or appointments or admin. The reminder calls sometimes cut off. There need to be better follow-ups on complicated claims.

William T. William T.

Reviewed on 06/07/2018

As part of the admin team, the reporting feature is top notch.

Pros

I do not use this software from a clinical perspective. The layout is aesthetically appealing and it has an IM feature to send quick messages. From a reporting standpoint, setting up reports and building them from scratch couldn't be easier. It's very simple to export the reports to excel or Tableau for even better analysis. It does come with prebuilt reports. If you need to create a custom report, there is a report building feature that walks you through the steps. For the most part, Athena does a good job at defining the fields, but sometimes it does require some trial and error.

Cons

Though the software has really user friendly reporting features, sometimes the data itself does not make sense. For instance, we ran a report for no shows and there were instances of 1 no show/0 booked slot. There are also different report categories that include/exclude certain types of data. ie you may not find certain billing data in a clinical category report.

Kathy A. Kathy A.

Reviewed on 09/10/2019

Customer support is AWESOME

I have appreciated that AH has very experienced success managers who are there to keep me efficient and always improving.
Efficient billing.

Pros

Easy to use. Comes with plenty of education modules.

Cons

have to keep up with the regular updates.

Kady B. Kady B.

Reviewed on 12/07/2017

Making My Life Easy

Athena is customizable and assists our practice in every aspect. Having our billing and our EHR in one system that has a great support system really makes everyone's job easier.

Pros

Athena has really made my job as billing coordinator so easy. I am able to help my physicians improve their dictation which allows me to more accurately bill for the procedures they perform. Plus Athena follows up on my claims!

Cons

Sometimes Athena has holds or denial reason that may not be the most accurate. I have to reach out to Athena to assist in resolving the issues. (which is very easy to do) We also have to customize our templates to fit our specialty and services we provide. Once we get the templates fixed, it makes dictating so much easier.

Reginald M. Reginald M.

Reviewed on 11/01/2017

Consummate Professionals

We have been using this software since October 2014. They are more than a software vendor. They have a staff that is full of knowledgeable professionals that can assist in every facet of our practice. They were the best source for making the transition from ICD9 to ICD 10. They are able to assist in every facet of our practice by dealing with both software issues and or Best Practic Management.

Pros

The software is user-friendly. The staff is well trained and very very polite, patient and professional.

Cons

They do not have an office in my hometown where I can go to work for them.

Cameron C. Cameron C.
  • Used for 6-12 months

Reviewed on 17/01/2019

Worst EHR Imaginable to a Physician

I am a Family Medicine primary care physician. I have worked w/ my fair share of various EHRs over the years & have to say that, of all the ones I’ve used in the past, Athenahealth is w/o a doubt the absolute worst. To be fair, it does have (some) good things about it as aforementioned above, but those helpful features pale in comparison to the daily struggle that using this system most commonly affords to the provider.

Note that the majority of those singing this product’s praises via reviews on this website are administrators who only have to use it for billing & not the doctors actually battling & doing the necessary hard work in the trenches. That should tell you something. And those few doctors who do like it tend to either not be in primary care or, based on their specialty, simply don’t actually have to use & document on it much.

But as an individual w/ even the slightest shred of computer programming/coding experience, I can quickly look at this EHR & recognize a system which was initially poorly coded & has since long been neglected by its original developers. Again to reiterate, IT/customer support is entirely absent & derelict in their duties to continually improve on this system.

One final piece of food for thought to top it all off is that I was just getting so frustrated w/ this system over time in a sort of Pavlovian conditioned sensitization that I was ultimately forced to resign from my first-time career job as a PCP as a result.

So don’t be me.

Pros

The organization of certain sections was done pretty well.

Easy INR managing.

Fairly good growth charts w/ automatically calculated percentages available.

Good implementation of external screening questionnaires, meaningful use, etc.

Ability to create auto-texts, templates, etc.

Cons

Glitchiest product imaginable: text formatting issues, superimposed text transferring to next screen, text failing to scroll to next line causing entire paragraph to look jumbled up, poor copy-paste, small view screens/boxes, stubborn dragging/sorting of ICD diagnosis code boxes, frequent slow-downs, freezes, sudden unpredictable crashes failing to save one’s note work.

Severely outdated terminology for certain medical diagnoses making simple common diseases difficult to find in search feature.

Abysmal medication refill system. 3, 5, sometimes even 10-15 min. to address 1 refill request (inexcusable). Very difficult to confidently say whether a prescription has actually been filled or not.

Medication lists are just a complete trainwreck. ‘Medicare monthly order form’ is not a medication that should EVER need to be reconciled.

System shockingly even was able to allow me to prescribe controlled substances under other doctors’ names unwittingly & w/o their consent.

Poorly interfaces w/ outside labs, pharmacies, hospitals, other clinics, etc. Does not communicate well w/ others.

Requires way too much daily hands-on maintenance work to keep organized, unsustainable for a busier practice.

Absolutely ZERO (& I do mean ZERO) helpful customer or IT support. Even had an Athena clinical trainor fly in to seemingly attempt to help, who only sat in the break room & fiddled on their computer the whole week & ultimately proved incapable of providing effective solutions.

Robert P. Robert P.

Reviewed on 29/11/2015

Unhappy user of this least bad EHR

Pros

It is integrated EMR, Billing and Care Management that does help address PCMH, MU, and other complex Government/Insurer issues. First pass billing and payment process works fairly well and seems efficient when there are no errors (see below). Cost is reasonable for the services provided.

Cons

The base code is absolutely awful. This leads to repeated problems with your interface, incompatibilities, and slow response. If you surf employment sites you will find this a recurring theme noted by ex-employees.

The product has many features that increase the chance for human error and patient harm, and the company refuses to admit or deal with these issues, in fact compounding basic problems in the years I have used it. This user interface would be unacceptable in the aviation industry. Isn't healthcare supposed to be as safety-driven as aviation? Medication lists are not presented in a user friendly way and don't show the difference between what patient was taking before the visit and what has been changed or started/stopped in a meaningful way during and after the visit. This is one of the most dangerous aspects of this software, but by no means the only patient safety issue. When you get a request for a refill, it takes several clicks and screens to find the med history before you make the refill, encouraging you to skip this vital workflow, and penalizing you for following this standard of care if you do follow the workflow.

The support center includes a "community" where you can share your problems and solutions with other users. But it is basically an echo chamber, as the company openly bans anyone who makes repeated negative comments about the product. If you don't agree to their draconian Terms of Use you can't even access this area to get help or learn about the latest updates.

My documentation time per patient after the visit is about 10-12 minutes on average. I refuse to boilerplate my documentation - I deliver personalized care. I have tried to get dictation software from the athenahealth partner Dragon which I believe would shorten this to about 1 minute, but 2 months ago I made my first request to Dragon and still have not heard back after 4 additional attempts from within and outside of athenahealth. If you by Dragon direct, you don't get full interoperability, according to athenahealth. Right now I have zero interoperability.

Too many clicks. I quote another provider who switched to another EMR locally when I asked why he switched out.

Patient Portal does not allow patient to upload a graphic. "Hey Doc, is this a mole I need to worry about?" "Here's what my incision site looks like, is it OK?" "This is the pill the pharmacy gave me, it looks different" and "What the heck is this rash?" are questions you can answer quickly saving patients and you time and effort with other EMR portals. Not athenahealth.

Bryan M. Bryan M.

Reviewed on 12/05/2015

Its All My Fault

Pros

Software is web based and accessible from any computer connected to the web. Integrates document handling as well as notes and billing into one package.

I reviewed a lot of products over the years and the basic design principle is what I was looking for.

Cons

Our experience was simply unfathomable. We were on this product for just less than one year.

Training and setup takes 3 months, not unreasonable but also they don't really understand small practices and how to train them. While various types of software are something I'm familiar with, and I found templates easy to make as well as modify, we were misinformed about what we were getting, and many of the bad experiences posted here were also experienced by us. We vetted this product as well as we could. We did a site visit, everyone we talked to was very happy with it. However, about the time we went on the product we understand that we were not alone in what followed, but it took weeks of searching to locate the others. Prior users, who had been happy also reported to us that they were struggling with it now. Another clinic in our town was struggling, one of their staff told me that they "hated it" but they apparently are not willing to speak out openly.

We were experienced EMR users, having used more than one product and having 13 years of experience.

Vendor training and support staff do not really understand their product, nor can they really help with other than simple questions. If there is a functional problem, you are just out of luck. They are just wasting your time online much of the time. We spent hours on the phone, week after week after week. Months of heavy, unbelievably hard and long days, working 15, 18, 21 hours in a day, and still unable to get encounters done. Over 100K in unsubmitted billings, unable to close the encounters. We kept customizing the workflow, adding encounter plans, adding templates, and the system kept getting slower, and slower, and slower, by the last month we were getting dropped off 20-30 times a day and the system was not responding to us for agonizingly long periods of time. Tech support absent, like the Wizard of Oz behind the curtain, saying everything is functioning well. We had one good month, only one, which deluded us into continuing to try to work with them. Three account representatives in 8 months, none of them did anything but the last one, who actually visited our office and told us we had not been informed of a problem using our OS and Athena, and that we "should have been told." Later, he retracts everything while on the phone with his supervisor saying "I was wrong."

My patients repeatedly told me that the patient portal was so slow that they just stopped using it.

They blamed our ISP first (we used it from 5 different locations with around 18 different computers), then it was our network, my staff, me, and in the end it was "something wrong with" my equipment but not a problem on their end. Complete and utter denial of a problem with the software.

My staff hours rose by a minimum 20-30% on Athena, not decreasing as we expected, my hours nearly doubled, my ARNP quit because she wasn't able to see patients fast enough to actually make an income, she was working 8-12 hours a day to see 8 patients. Staff informed me that misfiling of documents by Athena and their having to refile them was taking 2-3 times longer than if they simply filed them all themselves. This misfiling continued despite our efforts to get it corrected and despite some documents having the actual filing category in large bold print at the top of the page so they wouldn't have to figure it out.

We spent unbelievable amounts of time logging in, getting kicked off, getting unresponsive screens, and watching the "Wheel of Time" (apologies to the late Robert Jordan but he and his writing team haven't seen anything like the "Wheel of Time" that we experienced). It could take longer to submit a billing than it actually took to see a brief patient. It could take longer to document a visit for a complex patient than it took to see them.

This product could do it, but it was nonfunctional to much of the time.

We tried to get to talk directly to the technicians, they would not allow us, we tried to get in contact with the higher management and the people we were working with terminated our contract 11 months in, giving us the required three months notice. Three to four weeks later the system became essentially unresponsive most of the time, we had to either close immediately and declare bankruptcy or go back to our old EMR. We went back and pulled out of the mess.

It was to late though, I closed my practice just 10 days ago, after 14 years, I was not able to accumulate enough financial reserve to attempt another transition before ICD 10 goes into effect.

In my office, a 14 year old server, lowest cost Dell from 2001, single processor, 2 GB of RAM, handling outgoing faxes, importing incoming faxes from a Brother MFC, all incoming documents, an entire record system, a document handling library service with literally scores of thousands of documents in an electronic filing cabinet, with literally probably hundreds of thousands of pages of documentation, and my entire library of documents from 1998 onward, was able to easily outperform the Athena product.

I worked hard to make sure we had a good platform on our end, we had a gigabit network, new cabling, gigabit switches and ethernet cards, SSD's on all our PC's, and more ISP bandwidth than a nearby 90 bed nursing facility has for their TV, PC's, and their staff to use...all for a small 1.4 FTE solo practice with 5 persons using it.

It didn't matter, the system was not responsive.

Travis S. Travis S.

Reviewed on 17/01/2018

Loaded with features and becomes more efficient with use.

Pros

The ability to graph and chart different data points (labs, vitals, Coumadin results, etc) and visualize these within the chart can be helpful. Dot phrase macro texts as well as pre selected boxes for templates can both provide significant increase in efficiency. Notes come out readable and logical as opposed to some overly-templated notes.

Cons

System can be a little "bulky" in the sense that there are so many potential customizations and a fair amount of button clicking required until you become more familiar with the system. Auto defaulting on pharmacies, labs, ect is very good when it works, but can lead to mistakes if a patient uses more than one pharmacy for certain drugs. Med list reconciliation is less intuitive than it seems it could be, as well as a lack of auto-integrating diagnosis into the problem list.

Julie W. Julie W.

Reviewed on 28/06/2016

Consistent, quality software with excellent support

Pros

My clinic uses the Collector component of AthenaHealth and I am most impressed with their support staff. Questions and concerns are routed to the appropriate department BEFORE you speak to support staff - making your calls extremely streamlined. Hold times are minimal, all issues are assigned case numbers and are resolved within minutes and, in my case, 48 hours for a worst case scenario. Claim processing is extremely important and being able to address claim issues with a live person is most helpful. I also appreciate their software transparency - all information re: your clinic is available via reports.

Cons

My least favorite thing about AthenaHealth is the cost of implementing their Clinicals component, which is their EHR program.

Mara S. Mara S.

Reviewed on 20/07/2016

Athena Health reminder calls

The Athena reminder call service saves our employees time to care for our patient's in the office and not leaving messages all day on a recording. Especially with multiple doctors in the office now. Thank you Athena Health for your top notch service.

Pros

Billing is easy for us. I like the reminder call service. Entering a patient is easy as well

Cons

I definitely wish there was a better training for the templates. I struggle with 19 templates to extend our schedule quarterly and wish I could get assistance with a faster way to do this. We have 3 doctors and they come and go. This makes my job difficult.

Elena C. Elena C.

I Recommend Athena

I have transitioned companies 8 times now through paper charts to emr, or from emr to emr. By far, the transition to Athena has been the easiest one I have been involved with thus far! Athena is easy to use, easy to customize and easy to track and do reports to keep our business moving forward.

Pros

Athena is customizable and everything you do is trackable.

Cons

Support, when we first joined Athena in 2011 was IMMEDIATE. Now, I have a request in for help and it went in last April and is still not resolved. I have had a few URGENT items that Athena has taken over a month to resolve, when it really needed to be resolved that day or next day.

Peter M. Peter M.

Reviewed on 14/10/2019

nirvana

best business decision I made and I have been on it since 2003.

Pros

ease of use,transparency into insurers,total practice management solution.,great portal,if you are not employed by a large hospital system and are responsible for meeting your overhead, athena is for you.,they are a true partner with you.,they make a profit if you make a profit.,true cloud based system,thus never will be obsolete.we have been using it since 2003.

Cons

i am hard pressed to find a negative that would dissuade me from purchasing athena all over again.

Abby G. Abby G.

Reviewed on 04/11/2018

Easy to use but has flaws

Overall, it keeps medical charts organized and it is easy to update and change information. They do try to update the software regularly, so that is nice.

Pros

It is generally easy to use. A recent update in the last year, so the layout is much improved. It is pretty user-friendly.

Cons

First, there is not enough security in terms of being able to secure certain types of notes to keep them from being accessible to people within your network. Second, when you send patient cases back and forth, there is no notification of new notes on an open case.

Karen D. Karen D.

Reviewed on 17/02/2017

EHR/athenahealth

I feel the software compared to other EMR is pretty easy to use. Athenanet is always doing updates trying to improve the process. They have just done major upgrades in the last couple of months. Their customer service and tech support are always there when needed.

Cons

When they did the upgrades you now cannot see the refills on the scripts unless you go into the full encounter or when filled. Also, you use to be able to cut and paste in all areas within intake and exam sections and now you cannot. Meds cannot be copied and pasted into other fills like before.

Paige R. Paige R.

Reviewed on 19/07/2016

The Cutting Edge

We have been using Athena since Aug. of 2012. We have been very pleased with all three products. I love that Athena is on the cutting edge of technology and leading the market in its field.

Pros

I love that it can be accessed anywhere and thru a secure connection. I also love that my 12 providers can individualize the product to their needs. It does not require that each provider use it the same.

Cons

Occasionally Athena will roll out an update that creates some problems but they are usually attentive to complaints and they try to resolve them expeditiously.

Robert S. Robert S.

Excellent EHR

Before having EHR we had another big name EHR that continually tried to nickel and dime us for almost every addon. Athena made it to where we were able to take away in-house billing uncertainties and not miss out on billing issues that can get lost in an electronic system. We have already started making more money with Athena on lost billing that it covers the cost of the services.

Pros

the ease of use when working claims and the transparency of where the billing is currently sitting.

Cons

Some things require more clicks than other EHRs but I believe that it directly correlates with their quickness in receiving back claim EOBS.

Diane P. Diane P.

Reviewed on 26/04/2018

Excellent but complex

Somewhat pricey but for all practical purpose, it's a complete system. The support is not too bad but you need lots of practice and mistakes to really finally understand how it works. The accounting system if very complex; you almost have to be a CPA to understand how it's functioning. Overall, it's an industry standard and ranks with some of the best.

Pros

The through coverage of all aspects of a medical practice, large or small. It incorporates everything an office needs to accomplish and tries to make it complete.

Cons

complexity of the accounting portion is extremely hard to learn and takes a lot of time to learn. It requires constant attention to detail and gets out of control quickly if not monitored constantly.

Christian M. Christian M.

Reviewed on 24/09/2019

Definetly recommend Athena

Overall Athena is great from a user stand point. Usually, support is good, but if you're not a super user then you're out of luck.

Pros

This EMR is so easy to use. I am new to civilian EMR systems and I was able to pick it up quite easily. Scheduling and billing are simple and straight forward.

Cons

You need super user access to make any update and no one in the office has that capability even the owner and the support is usually good, but if you don't have super user access they're pretty much useless.

Eric M. Eric M.

Reviewed on 19/01/2017

Improving!

In my opinion, Athena is a great program to use. After the recent "Streamline" update the staff has had difficulties adjusting to the new look but doctors have found it to be more convenient. I think overall Athena continues to improve with updates and I have noticed many other medical offices have started to use Athena.

Pros

Recent activity in the patient's chart. Doctors have recommended the new streamline update because it makes it easier for them to dictate.

Cons

Too much clicking and difficult to find documents and orders. For example, not everyone scans documents in the same place. Unable to show patient alerts or reminders needed during an appointment. For example, the patient is in pain management but continues to ask for pain medication during an appointment. There is not a way to flag this for the doctor. Athena slows down while trying to put in orders from time to time. No ability to change patient status or room number while in the exam. No longer shows patient body part in the top right of the screen while in the encounter. Unable to open an order listed on the left of the patient's chart, such as medications to see what user created the order.

Diana B. Diana B.

Straight to the point

I believe Athena's billing system is easy to navigate and use; the scheduling system is fine however there are some things that I wish were corrected (such as the reminder call glitches)

Pros

Insurance "View Detail" function is great for easy review of a plan.

Cons

Reminder calls are not consistent - at times patients are called months in advance for an exam; ideally, the call should be around 5 days before the exam. New GPIS system is okay, but not as different (or easy) as we were told it would be.