About eClinicalWorks

ClinicalWorks, an electronic health record (EHR) and practice management solution, provides technology for every step of the patient care delivery process. Clinicians access features including patient engagement, Telehealth,...

Browse eClinicalWorks Reviews

Nazanin F. Nazanin F.

Reviewed on 22/08/2021

This is not your best option

Pros

The notes are structured nicely, with PMH, SH, etc on the left hand column and everything you care about nicely centered. There are a couple of "sticky notes" on top of the chart that allow you to write personalized notes about the patient (like their hobbies, grandchildren, etc) that does not become part of the note. It is fairly easy to schedule a patient and visualize the schedule both as a list as well as in blocks.

Cons

-The customer support is non-existing. You can try asking for many things and their response will always be: "it cannot be done". Meanwhile your medical assistant figured out how to do it by googling the issue while you were wasting your time talking to the tech support. This conditions you never to call customer support.
-The system is very complicated. It has many features, bells and whistles, and many of them could be useful to you, but you will never figure it out because 1) there is no customer support; and 2) you don't have the time to surf the web all day for your answer.
-There are too many unnecessary clicks for EVERYTHING you do. Some of the clicks were recently added because eCW has been in legal hot waters with the government and they are trying to cover their asses. You cannot opt out of these clicks. It can take 11 clicks to refill a medication. 5 clicks to forward lab tests to another physician. All these clicks are costing you money because you could have seen at least one more patient a day if you were more efficient.
-They abruptly and unexpectedly update the program and ALWAYS end up breaking a few features that were working fine before. Then you or your staff will have to spend countless hours on the phone trying to get these things fixed.
-They absolutely don't care about their customers. Any complaint you have will fall upon deaf ears.
-This system is designed and maintained by a bunch of computer geeks in a lab without any concern for those who use it.

Response from eClinicalWorks

Hi Nazanin, we're sorry your experience didn't match your expectations. We value customer feedback and how we can improve and better support you in the future. With that being said we do ask that practices open support cases here https://bit.ly/1YL2Hnj or reach out directly to their Strategic Account Managers (SAM) when they do have any problems or questions. We would like to ask that you reach out to your SAM with these problems so they may be addressed.

Replied 26/08/2021
Antoinette T. Antoinette T.

Reviewed on 07/02/2018

eClinical is best for large practices.

Pros

Full practice software for all aspects of managing a medical office and patient charting. Able to accommodate several practitioners and staff allowing for large volumes of files and database. Very straight forward practical application to use given all the functions available.

Cons

Many features were not used as it is not easily streamlined for a specialty practice. Tech support/service call response is immediate but actual support and repair was often deferred to a later time and was difficult to communicate with their staff, located overseas. Costs for eclinical is expensive.

Response from Kaitlyn

Hi Antoinette- Thank you for your feedback on eClinicalWorks. I'd like the opportunity to chat with you more about customizing eCW for your specialty as that seems to be a challenge you're having with the software. We use eClinicalWorks to provide billing services for our customers and are the largest certified reseller in the nation. I'd be curious to speak with you more to see if we could help. Feel free to reach me at 800-769-5288 x2207.

Replied 12/02/2018
Bryan R. Bryan R.

Reviewed on 06/12/2019

Practical and Cumbersome

Pros

eclinicalworks has stayed ahead of the curve in features and vision on multi-platform EMR. They've stayed adaptable to changing interoperability environment. The clinician for very competitive costs can garnish high access to medical home model and progressive kiosk and outreach modalities.

Cons

Lots of clicks, lots of bugs, have to fight to get senior resources to get things corrected. Slow QA turn around for fixes. Lacks patient portal where you can exchange files. Silo development model increasing bug potential, though they finally decades later are looking at Usability so we're hopeful.

Top eClinicalWorks Alternatives

Modernizing Medicine

InSync Healthcare Solutions

Linda L. Linda L.

Reviewed on 18/07/2019

Pretty Average Product

Pros

It is fairly inexpensive in comparison to other EMR programs. It provides good enough functionality for a medical practice.

Cons

There are no perfect EMR systems, however, ECW falls short on few things - functionality does not keep up with changing healthcare demands, it breaks down frequently and needs to be fixed or de-bugged multiple times each week. Customer service is extremely slow and not always able to solve problems.

Frances J. Frances J.

Reviewed on 19/02/2017

Best EHR that I have use

I helped start up eClinicalworks at the office that I worked at. They were extremely helpful (I worked with other EHR products that were not as helpful). It was easy learning the front end and the back end. I had little trouble doing templates. I would recommend this program to everyone. I do not have any relationship with this company except work at a different office than what I work today

Pros

Everything it was easy to learn and it was easy to teach patients how to connect to it.

Cons

Nothing

Maria R. Maria R.

Reviewed on 06/10/2020

Work EMR

My overall 3 years of experience with Elicnical is that is a great way to track all things for patients in one secure place.

Pros

What I like the most about Eclinical is the ability to see all providers schedule and have the ability to add patients wherever needed.

Cons

What I like least about the app is when we run into slowness or the application is simply lagging making patient care a little hard to do.

Kristen H. Kristen H.

Reviewed on 25/07/2019

eClinical

Pros

I liked that it was easy to go through your claims for the today to check over them and correct them. It was also easy to send out all of your claims at once. It makes sorting claims by doctor simple. Doing payments in it was convenient.

Cons

I didn't really enjoy using the program to set patients up to be put into collections but I'm not sure that's all on the program.

Amber A. Amber A.

Reviewed on 03/11/2016

EClinicalworks

eCLINICAL works is a medical records software program that our practice has been using since 2009. We were part of a pilot program that presented us with the medical records portion as well as an interface with a billing software. We have had a few issues over the years with upgrades etc...but ecw is always very helpful in working out the "bugs" and making it smooth in these transitions.

Pros

easy to navigate

Cons

new updates are not always the best in workflow

Manan S. Manan S.

Reviewed on 09/07/2018

They have lousy financial department and very unprofessional

They have also federal government penalty for charging unnecessary and still they have same practice. They try to bully the physicians and as it affects patient care, we are helpless and they do unethical way to extract money.

Pros

Not very friendly and what they say does not show in the program. Not a very good program and will not recommend

Cons

Very smart in collecting money. They complain for invoice and I showed the proof of payment and now they come up with other invoice. They discontinue my support and it affects my patient's care.

Kenneth R. Kenneth R.

Reviewed on 12/10/2017

Not for everyone but has some bright spots

Leadership team for the company is great and seem to know where they want to go.

Pros

Great for pulling out data analytics and helping you find groups of patients. Quality Improvement people should love it.

Cons

Not always intuitive for the end user. Not structured to help you remember all the elements you want to include in your documentation.

Brittney W. Brittney W.

Reviewed on 28/08/2019

Avoid This EMR at All Costs

Implementation was a disaster and we had to postpone it by 2 months because by the time we were supposed to go live, so much was still not set up correctly. A year later, the software works, but it is full of bugs that are driving away our patients. For the last 6 months our patients have been getting appointment reminders 10 times in a row, in the middle of the night, as well as patients getting reminders for appointments that are completely INCORRECT. This EMR system has cost us many patients. It makes the overall patients experience confusing and horrible from the glitchy portal to the wrong reminders. There are so many things wrong with this product. We have lived with these issues for 6 months and nothing has been resolved because apparently "these can't be fixed without a system wide update" but they are unable to give us even a ballpark answer of when the new update will happen. Bottom line, don't choose eClinicalWorks unless you like pissing off your patients and loosing money.

Pros

It would be very easy and customizable to use if everything actually worked correctly. There are a lot of helpful features, however 75% of the time they are riddled with bugs.

Cons

Support is awful. It takes months to have anything resolved. The software itself is riddled with bugs and there are many processes that were obviously not thought through.

Nichole P. Nichole P.

Reviewed on 08/02/2018

Worked a cardiologist on this program. It was a little awkward not understanding the wording.

Pros

The program was decent, it had a weird way of helping code. Also a lot of detailed information in the system.

Cons

You couldn't print the details information you needed. They all referred to certain buttons as jelly beans. It was hard to make any person take that seriously when working with new providers.

William R. William R.

Reviewed on 25/05/2018

Terrible EMR

Terrible, terrible EMR. Don't buy it, I beg you. I'm taking early retirement from my group in large part because of this program.

Pros

I honestly like almost nothing about eCW. My practice switched from a fairly basic but very functional EMR (SRS Health) to eCW about a year ago. It has been an unmitigated disaster. The training was terrible, the support slow to respond generally and the user experience unbelievably frustrating. I've wasted so much time clicking around trying to complete the most basic tasks it makes me want to cry. If forced to pick a pro, I'd say...actually I can't think of anything. I hate it.

Cons

1. Illogical workflow. I could go on a long time about this but I don't have room. 2. The web version and desktop version are significantly different so if you go home to finish notes, which I have to do almost every night, you have to remember to do many tasks two different ways. Here's one frustrating difference. You can fax prescriptions from the desktop version but can not from the web version which means if I have a controlled substance to send in I have to wait until the next day when I get back to the office and can use the desktop version. 3. There are too many other cons to list. They are mostly numerous little things that slowly drive you mad. Morale at our office has been terrible since we changed to eCW.

Mark N. Mark N.

Reviewed on 25/03/2019

Beware

Terrible customer service. Outdated platform. Expensive. What's not to like? When I left I paid them $5000 to get my records to transfer into my new EMR. They sent me a hard drive with data in random arrangements and corrupted data. Nice.

Pros

Some of the features are nice, you can enter your consultants (but you have to do this manually). Has eprescribing but difficult to get lab interfaces or controlled eprescribing. Notes do look like notes and some of the templates for exams are easy to use.

Cons

Wow, where to start. This is a spaghetti programming system that is so screwed up it will never work correctly. Every time there is an update, multiple things stop working. If you have problems good luck getting someone who speaks understandable English or even someone to respond to your issue. You may get a response several days later at 9PM. The only people there who speak good English are the sales people (shocker). Until I went with a different EMR I didn't realize how many work arounds I had been putting in place.

Sherif Y. Sherif Y.

Reviewed on 12/12/2016

Labor-intensive

I have often wondered about the popularity of ECW. After all, I think there are many better systems out there, it lacks many necessary features and it is not cheap. I believe ECW owes its success to a good sales team, and to the fact that potential users think: if it is adopted by so many users, it must be good. In big corporations, the decisions are made by administrators, not by physicians, and the former are not well attuned to the negative aspects of the software.
Due to the nature of this software requiring website re-direction each time you order anything, there is a 3-4 second lag time that occurs every other click, and that adds up to a lot of wasted time at the end of the day. Windows cannot be minimized, and you cannot simply insert your cursor and start typing in a section of the chart. Therefore, if you are in the middle of writing your HPI and the patient asks you about her lab result, you have to x out of several windows, check labs and then re-open several windows, adding to as many as 13-14 clicks, and a major interruption of the workflow. The upgrade to version 10 was disastrous. Customer support is horrible. Interface with the hospital system (Cerner), with the labs and with Sure-Scripts is awful.
There are many aspects that could be improved if there was any willingness on the part of their programmers to get better, but I think they take their popularity as an indication that they are doing well. The lab review process is cumbersome. When I have lab results for one patient that I want to review and post to the note, it takes me an average of 21 clicks. Rx eligibility is dysfunctional. Saving medications as favorites has not been working since the "upgrade". The conversion from ICD-9 to ICD-10 was poorly managed. Our institution uses a separate office management software, with a lot of redundancy and poor interface.

Pros

Macros and order sets.
The form of the finished note looks nice.

Cons

Everything else (see above)

Kristen W. Kristen W.

Reviewed on 16/07/2018

Good program, to many key strokes

Pros

I really like the front office, back office end of it. We use eClinical Works for everything in our office. the scheduling is very user friendly.

Cons

Not a good billing system. way to many key strokes and takes way longer to do most things then I would like it to do.

Jammie H. Jammie H.

Reviewed on 30/09/2020

Very easy system to use

This software is used to keep all the patients information in one place as well as on the scheduler.

Pros

This system is very easy to learn even for someone new to the medical field. It took me about a day to learn it.

Cons

I wish that the faxing feature would let us fax directly from the document in the system. That would be easier and save on paper.

Kael L. Kael L.
1.5

1.5
Reviewed on 26/10/2014

eClinicalWorks Review

Pros

Read this review as a warning if you are considering eCW.

Cons

My brother asked me to step in as emergency manager of his primary care medical practice in San Francisco in 2009 (my background is tech startups). He's an internist and was salutatorian of his UCSF med school class, so he's a smart guy, even in a room full of smart guys. And he's extremely hard-working.

His partner chose eClinicalWorks for their 2-doctor practice. What was their experience?

First: it was extremely, and they had to make regular payments to keep using it, so when they got into financial trouble, this was one bill they had to pay, every time, because if they didn't, eCW could literally shut off the software and shut down their practice. That happened once, and then I made sure it did not happen again until we closed the doors (I was there 6 months, the last one spent actually shutting the practice down and helping my brother file Chapter 7).

Second: eCW's company culture, like that of almost all software companies (again, my background is high tech) is to over-promise and under-deliver. The company has absolutely no skin in the game. They do not have to actually make their software useful to you in order to get paid, and they don't care if their system is actually helping you run your practice; they only want to get paid.

Third: the software was overly complicated to use. The training was inadequate and not a priority for the vendor, and all the training was at an additional cost. This is a joke; the training should have been comprehensive, extensive, and free. I think the support staff probably needed about 3-4 times as much formal training as they received. They universally disliked the software, mainly because they felt it was overly complicated and not intuitive.

Alice R. Alice R.

Reviewed on 18/01/2018

eClinicals is a user friendly, and complete system if the users are trained and use it...

I really do like this software. Proper training is critical, but after that...Good system.

Pros

Easy to find the information I need for a patient.
Easy to make adjustments on claims before sending.
Easy to assign claims or notes to other staff if needed.

Cons

Occasionally the coding catalog is not updated in a timely manner, especially Radiology for this year.

Peggy S. Peggy S.

Reviewed on 12/04/2017

Medical Biller

Some of the features were difficulty to maneuver around. Not a user friendly system. Hard to train new medical practices.

Pros

Didn't go down often, like other medical software's.

Cristina S. Cristina S.

Reviewed on 15/01/2020

Excellent software for Medical Practice!

I use this software daily in our medical office. from checking in patients till they are ready for check out, i really like it couldn't make my job any easier!

Pros

This software is super easy to use, and very convenient.

Cons

I have nothing negative to say i'm super comfortable with this software!

Carrie K. Carrie K.

Reviewed on 21/02/2019

eClinicalWorks is my favorite eMR for medical practices

Pros

I love the color coding. I can look at the patient list for the day and see who has arrived, and at what stage in the process they are. It is also a very intuitive program. Printing is easy to set up and works seamlessly. It's easy to see when the patient's next appointment is. It is easy to find things as well.

Cons

I was never formally trained on the software, just had to figure it out on my own. There's a couple of things I don't know how to do still.

Tiffanie B. Tiffanie B.

Reviewed on 14/12/2017

Great EMR and Billing combined into one

For a practice where you have a third party biller this is an amazing software. It is so nice to be able to pull progress notes, review charts, see scanned card copies. It makes billing so much easier when you have access to the patients chart!

Pros

That you can get to everything from one place or platform! I love that everything we need is all in one location.

Cons

That you have to use multiple different systems to get different reports like front end rejections. I prefer to have that all in one place.

Nifah C. Nifah C.

Reviewed on 23/11/2020

Ecw

I enjoy using ecw because it’s user friendly. I love how I can send text messages to my patients.

Pros

I use this software daily! I love the fax feature the most.

Cons

Just like any other web base soft, it can run slow at times

Mary M. Mary M.

Reviewed on 11/08/2016

worst emr I have ever used

I worked for a teaching clinic that came on board in 2011 with ecw. Horrible program, freezes, have to click in and out of multiple boxes, up to 80 clicks to finish a consult note, submit the bill, and delegate the note to the referring physician. Supposed to be okay for small practices, but awful for a teaching clinic with new learners coming in every month. In the system I had to use, you couldn't change the font size, which was tiny (font 9). So glad I am in a new job and get to use EPIC.

Pros

nothing

Cons

Very time consuming to prepare a high quality note. Have to open and close text boxes for everything, so too many clicks. Can't just start a new note and click in what you want. Can't create your own user lists, which are helpful for keeping track of certain populations.