About Square Payments

Square Payments is a cloud-based payment processing tool for businesses within the retail, food and beverage, and health and fitness industries. Key features include fraud prevention, dispute management, touch-free transactions,...

4.7

Browse Square Payments Reviews

Jarvis
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Reviewed on 26/05/2022

The Perfect Payment Processing Option for Small Business

My overall experience is A++ since I am able to accept and process payment at a fraction of the cost and without costing me more time and effort.

Pros

Using this software for a couple of years now I really like the ease of use and how it's transferable between all my devices. I am able to access reports, process payments, and more from the mobile dashboard or my PC.
It doesn't require that I have or use any additional products or equipment for function. They have very friendly and knowledgable customer service and support.
I love that you are able to integrate Square into other systems for a more robust system.

Cons

I wasn't able to really pin point anything that I didn't like or enjoy regarding the software.

PayPal and Paycom

Reasons for Choosing Square Payments

Paypal had so many restrictions and hold times.

Reasons for Switching to Square Payments

Because if checked off more of the boxes for what I was looking for and the cost was Amazing.
Jason

Reviewed on 10/06/2022

I love using square

We will continue to use square payments to process our sales.

Pros

It is very easy to use and not to expensive for processing fees.

Cons

I wish that the reader connected easier to the software sometimes.

Shopify

Reasons for Choosing Square Payments

I could not get support from Zettle. I had an issue and they referred me to paypal team. Then Paypal said it was zettle. Was frustrating

Reasons for Switching to Square Payments

This was a familiar brand and I felt like I could trust the process.
Christian
  • Industry: Computer Networking

Reviewed on 17/06/2022

Good produxy

Pros

That you can manually input card numbers

Cons

The fraud prevention made it difficult to process payments sometimes

Top Square Payments Alternatives

Alexandra

Reviewed on 27/07/2022

Easiest payment processing system

I've never had an issue with Square payments. I've always had iphone and whether on wireless or using data, the payment is always smooth and goes through. Also, I accept clients' HSA cards and have had issues with other payment processing systems accepting their cards. Never with square. I also like that I can link in all of the square features such as scheduling, and payroll. Gives me the time to do the things I actually like about running a business instead of accounting matters.

Pros

I've never had an issue running a credit card with the reader and the software is really easy to follow

Cons

I think the only con is I could probably get a better price per transaction with another company but would sacrifice the ease of taking payments and some features

Mindbody

Reasons for Switching to Square Payments

Better payment processing. Simpler interface on the phone.
Eabyn
  • Industry: Design

Reviewed on 29/06/2022

Square provides the most intuitive platform for all our POS platforms

Square has been crucial for handling all of our payment needs so that we may provide clients with the most seamless experience

Pros

Square is a secure and intuitive platform that provides our organisation with all the tools needed to process and handle our payments

Cons

Square would benefit from some more reporting features on the platform

Venmo

Reasons for Choosing Square Payments

Square offered a more tailored experience to what our organisation needed

Square focuses on POS
Veronica

Reviewed on 21/07/2022

Square Payments

It has been great. It does not take much time to get used to. And the best part is that everyone can learn

Pros

I like how it's fast and really easy to understand. Overall you don't really need a lot of experience with the product to understand the idea

Cons

I wish they had a "Zell" or "Venmo" option

Zello and Venmo

Reasons for Switching to Square Payments

It was fast and it seems like anyone can use it
Carman
  • Industry: Logistics & Supply Chain

Reviewed on 04/08/2022

The Easiest and Most Inclusive Mobile Payment Processor

Overall, Square Payments is my favorite electronic mobile payment processor that I have used so far. I have tried a few others that were either really expensive or just didn't have the features that I wanted.

Pros

I love that almost every feature available is on the app and that I don't have to worry about dragging around a laptop with me. I can manage my inventory and service options on the app, including adding product pictures and SKU numbers, if needed. I can send customers' invoices that have already been customized like it's nothing.
While the price isn't the absolute cheapest processing on the market, it's definitely close to the cheapest, which is always nice, especially when you already have pretty small profit margins.

Cons

There are some features that are offered that I wish did not cost extra money on a monthly basis. I think a payment plan that would make more sense would be that depending on how much business you do per month would "unlock" certain free features or something like that. That would allow for more versatility depending on your business size, instead of having to worry about an extra bill every month.

Cesar
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Reviewed on 05/07/2022

Very easy to use and very easy to trust.

I love it and use it everyday. And will continue for the foreseeable future.

Pros

It give me and my wife the ability to take payments securely, safely and efficiently. It deposits the payments next business day and it logs everything.

Cons

The menu options can be a bit much, and sometimes getting tax forms is a bit difficult. I needs a bit more customizable options for when you are pulling reports. Its limited.

Clover
Andres
  • Industry: Sports

Reviewed on 30/06/2022

Fees are expensive, but it gets the job done

Pros

How easy it is to collect payments from customers

Cons

The fees are a little much for the amount of payments we collect.

PayPal, Stripe and Venmo

Reasons for Switching to Square Payments

I use all these products mentioned.
  • Industry: Hospitality

Reviewed on 10/06/2022

Square

Pros

Most impactful would be you can accept payments online and by your phone

Cons

No cons like everything about this app, everything has worked good

Brett
  • Industry: Entertainment

Reviewed on 03/04/2022

The Only Merchandise, Website, & Card Payment Manager You Will Ever Need

Square has satisfied all card processing, website management, inventory management, and merchandise marketing needs for us over the past 6 years wonderfully and will hopefully continue to be the main catalyst in our financial minimization and success as a touring/professional band moving forward!

Pros

As a user of Square for about 6 years now in managing my band’s merchandise, website sales, in-person sales, and all credit/debit card processing needs, I can honestly say that this is the best card processing software in today’s market. The fact that the card processing fees are as reasonable as they are with the card readers and entire web store being 100% free, makes Square the best value when compared to other alternatives. I recommend square almost daily to all my colleagues, business partners, and new fellow musicians I meet each week at home and on the road.

Cons

There are no cons about using square. I truly cannot even think of one thing I dislike about this software as everything from payments, processing, inventory management, to direct deposit, and even website management is on point at all times. Well done Square.

Big Cartel

Reasons for Choosing Square Payments

Bandcamp was taking a pretty large cut of each merchandise sale and didn’t offer as many card processing options or ease of use during the year we used it. The Bandcamp website also didn’t compare to the quality and efficiency we instantly found within square’s website use!

Reasons for Switching to Square Payments

Much similar to bandcamp, bigcartel had more significant fees to take from each transaction as opposed to square and didn’t leave us with the visual website aesthetics that we were looking for either.
Anne

Reviewed on 23/03/2022

Good things DO come in small packages

Overall, I am absolutely pleased with my decision to go with Square payments and devices. It has proven to be a powerful little tool, and has exceeded my expectations for my business and administration needs.

Pros

I was prepared, with rolled up sleeves, to set up my Square devices and software, expecting snags and integration challenges. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to set up and how quickly I had it up and running. The hardware is small and does not take up much space, the software is easy to manage and customize, and the reporting is always current, which is a big bonus for me. My patients have often remarked at how swift and easy it is to be processed after treatment, and the simple tap or wallet payment platform is loved by them. Especially since it is hands free. This software allows me to have things all ready for them without any wait periods. On the backend, I really am grateful for the reporting and transaction logs which are always current. This makes bookwork so much easier.

Cons

My only stumbling block to date has been with the online gift cards. There doesn't seem to be a way to see when someone has purchased one. You only know of the purchase when you redeem it. I would like to know what is out there.

Kelly
  • Industry: Luxury Goods & Jewelry

Reviewed on 02/06/2021

High processing rates, worth every penny!

I absolutely love that Square offers so many features for small businesses and that they all integrate. If I could give myself advice when I first opened my business, it would be "Don't get a bunch of different programs and lie to yourself that you'll just be more diligent keeping records. Just open the business with Square for everything so it's all integrated in one place."

Pros

It's soooo easy to use! The interface is very easy for our clients to use. It's taking us less time to ring clients out, and clients are leaving much higher tips than when we used other processors. I absolutely love how Square offers all the services a small business could ask for: credit card processing, invoicing, accepting payments offsite, POS systems, appointment booking, ecommerce, the list goes on. I tried lots of other services before switching to Square for everything, and I wish I had just saved myself the time and started using Square for everything and integrating systems right when my business first opened.

Cons

My only hang up with Square is their high processing rates. I'm aware that they can offer better rates if a business does greater than $250k annually in sales, but that's only if the payments have all been through Square. So it's a little annoying that we're easily surpassing that and proving that with previous years' reports is not sufficient.

Reviewed on 07/04/2021

I Recommend Square to Everyone

First of all, I feel like Square listens to its customers and really wants to understand what features they need and how they need their software to work. They have forums and support and use the information acquired from this to improve their product features regularly.

Pros

Square is a really amazing credit card processing, payment gateway, invoicing, booking, and product inventory management option for small to medium size businesses. The value of everything they provide for your to help run your business, beyond just credit card processing, is unmatched. While you are getting a very competitive processing rate, they offer you all of these other tools to run your business mostly for free. They also integrate with 3rd party applications in case they are missing a feature you need. The booking capability alone is worth the credit card processing fees you're paying.

Cons

There are a few limitations to some of the applications they offer but it's hard to complain because they are free AND they are constantly listening to their customers to make improvements on those applications. They do charge more if you want to keep your customers credit card on file for automatic payment or recurring billing which in my opinion is counter intuitive and unfair to the businesses using them because technically it means more easily processed payments they are making money on and it's not costing them any extra to process a card already on file. You are basically paying extra for the convenience.

Jessica
  • Industry: Hospitality

Reviewed on 26/11/2020

Square Payments

My overall experience with Square is very positive and I will continue using it for years to come.

Pros

I can accept all kind of payments. When i started my business I realized most if my customers didn't carry cash. I can take any debit or credit card and if it doesn't swipe with the free reader Square gave me I also have the option of typing it in. My customers no longer have to run to the bank to get cash. With the pandemic going on it also helps that I can take contactless payments to make my customers feel safe. Everyone should know about this and share with other business owners, friends, or familt. I give this software my highest recommendation.

Cons

There are so many pros and I cant think of but one con. It cost every time you swipe a card and a little more if you have to manually type it in. It works out best to pay when you use it if you dont use it that often but if you use it several times there should be a flat rate fee by the month or an option to choose which plan you would like.

Reasons for Choosing Square Payments

I didn't have the option of swiping someone's card in or typing someone's card in that may know not to use phones or payment software. A lot of older people didn't have cashapp and most that did also didn't know how to use it either. Square also has contactless pay and electronic invoices that way there is a detailed record of the payment and services for both parties.

Reasons for Switching to Square Payments

The same thing i mentioned earlier is a lot of older people would rather just give me their card to swipe than try to learn how to use all this technology and also if they made a mistake and used a different software they could have accidentally paid the wrong person and most people won't issue a refund. They dont have to memorize cashtags or paypal login and username info. Its just like going to the grocery store and giving your card to the cashier. It can give them piece of mind and have a record of where their money goes when i send the invoice.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Reviewed on 12/11/2020

SQUARE SAVED OUR BUSINESS

Overall, Square is easy to use, to train new employees with, and the integrations are really smooth. The Square ecosystem is awesome, and we really love it!

Pros

Square POS has SAVED us during the Covid-19 Pandemic. We setup our online/curbside settings before they were updated, and have been using Square for 5 years prior. Multiple locations, online ordering, direct printing to our iPad Kitchen printers - it all works like you want it to work. We also like the loyalty program options and email campaigns. It's an all around great program for our coffee shop business.

Cons

All the online/curbside updates have been great, but there are still missing features that have kept us from adopting a lot of them. We are still operating the online in a way that is more of a hack than an intention. For example, we wanted to offer delivery of baked goods but have them 48 hours delivery time - their delivery options are more setup for made to order items that get delivered in 5 minutes to 1 hour.

We also really want to see an inventory system on the POS grid - like a little number next to each item showing the inventory.

Shopify POS

Shopify POS

Reasons for Switching to Square Payments

I have used Square a lot, and we wanted to simple look square gives with the register and iPad mounts. It's like the APPLE of Point of Sale systems.
Robert

Reviewed on 15/11/2019

Square is a great option for businesses with mid to lower volume credit card payments

Square allows us to process credit card payments without having to pay a monthly fee, and the amount we pay is a fixed percentage of credit card receipts. They are a pleasure to use.

Pros

Square sets up quickly, is easy to configure and add items and service to, and produces excellent receipts for the customer. It also integrates into Quick Books for easy importing of transactions.

Cons

Occasionally, the card reader has problems connecting to the iPhone we use as a terminal. Even more occasionally, the phone has problems reading from the credit card swipe reader. I'm honestly not sure if this is a Square problem or an iPhone problem. It's not frequent enough to complain about overall.

Clover and Fiserv

Reasons for Switching to Square Payments

For a business like mine with a smaller volume of credit card payments, setting up a credit card processor that has a monthly fee, even with smaller transaction costs was still a losing proposition. Eventually, the volume of payments we receive may tip the scales in favor of another processor, but Square is a really good solution, both in the office and for mobile.
Cornelia
  • Industry: Cosmetics

Reviewed on 19/09/2019

The best in the town ( market )

Very easy and have access to lots of account futures and perks. We have dedicated Android device that work perfect. Very happy with Square POS.

Pros

We are using this software probably 4 years now, without any any problem.
During the time we use different devices and works 100%, without any glitch.
Square support was helping us few times to make the tings right and we are very happy in their professionalism and security of all the system.

Ohh, yea on this days the security is very important in any business when you work with Credit Cards and money. They are on the top of the game.

We try few times other merchants to reduce the fees, but get back to Square for the great service and support.

Cons

Not real any, If the swap fees would be little lower than 2.75% probably will be great. But hay! prefer service and security first. Very important for our clients and us.

Adeoye
  • Industry: Government Administration
  • Used for 6-12 months

Reviewed on 03/09/2019

Easy on the go Processor

I really liked Square. It was very easy to use and made things more efficient. Anything I needed to look up took less than a minute to find. I only needed to contact customer service once and they answered almost immediately. It was very new to us, but I don't ever remembering struggling trying to find things. I also really liked that is was online based. A lot of things we used was based off of our server, so you had to be in the office to use it. Square gave us the ability to be able to look up transactions no matter where we were.

Pros

I really liked how easy it was to use and implement. We badly needed to have a way to start accepting debit and credit cards. Square helped make that transition easy. We were able to not only take electronic payments in the Finance office, but the Police station as well. It was very easy to use so even teaching people how to use the software was relatively easy. Also you could figure out things easily by just playing around on the site.

Cons

The only thing I did not like was that there was no option to look at all the departments when it came to transactions and reports. So like if we had 3 departments I could not just look at all the transactions for the day throughout each department. I would have to click the individual department, get what I needed, then repeat it. It made things annoying because it would take a bit longer to record transactions from Square to our accounting software

Hank
  • Used Monthly for 2+ years

Reviewed on 03/09/2019

Square - great for small businesses, and not just retail!

Overall, I love Square. The ability to receive payment from practically anywhere at any time is HUGE for a small business owner. My ability to set up my clients in the address book and add their card on file saves a ton of time. I also like that only the last 4 of their credit card shows up. I do not want the burden of having all that info on file.

Pros

Square is a great solution to a small business who wants to ensure they can be paid easily, regularly and without burdening their clients.

I use it to receive monthly payment for my services for about 30 of my clients and it makes my life and my clients lives easier. Yes, you pay a processing fee, but it is competitive and well worth that small fee to ensure that I get paid. Plus, it only takes me a few minutes to receive payment from all those clients.

Cons

There are some elements of Square that are not as intuitive as they could be. Setting up a clients card on file can be tricky at times, especially if you use the web browser vs. the app. In general, use the app for EVERYTHING you do and you'll be fine.

The other issue I have sometimes is the checkout process. That times a bit of time to get used to and can feel clunky. This should be easier and I believe that Square will do their part to make the updates in time.

The final thing, and this is something that may not impact many people, but I use my headphones a lot. I have to be sure to remember to unplug/disconnect them before opening the Square app. If not, it thinks my headphones are the card reader and hits me with a very loud, old school fax machine connection type sound. A painful experience!

PayPal and Venmo

Reasons for Switching to Square Payments

I felt like Square was a more professional way of charging my clients. I also like how it allows me to set up a client and their card info and never have to mess with that again (unless they change cards). I actually use all of these others at times (PayPal, Venmo and Facebook money) and Square is the easiest to use, verify with a bank account ect.
Shannon
  • Industry: Graphic Design

Reviewed on 27/08/2019

Grow your business quickly

Square eliminated the need for costly card readers from a bank. The invoice feature allowed you to add clients and track when/if an invoice was paid. Overall, Square is an amazing product that is very versatile and a small business hero.

Pros

Square allows you to take secure payments anywhere. No start-up cost and low processing fees. They also offer a desktop ‘register’ that doesn’t require any software to be installed. Square gave us a professional way to take sales in the field because it eliminates the need for cash payments and gives your customers ease-of-mind when dealing with a start-up. It also provides analytics so that you can track the amount of money you have made and compare that to sales during another time-period. The invoice to email feature was also a time-saver.

Cons

The pre-determined processing term for funds to be released. You could utilize the paid-for early processing feature but, as a start-up, this was often out of reach. We used this service to take deposits to order client-specific materials so this additional processing time made it difficult to plan projects on occasion.

Reasons for Choosing Square Payments

We made the switch from Paypal because the processing fees for Square were virtually the same. The winning feature was the invoicing.

Jay
  • Industry: Photography

Reviewed on 20/08/2019

Taking payment is a breeze with Square, and the integrations are great!

Super easy to use, easy to process refunds and easy to see how you are doing (volume of business and sales averages) all due to some great reporting tools. We moved away simply because we thought we needed to find a real "business" processor -- turns out, Square is a legit business processor which zero mystery fees which makes it easier for us to predict revenue flow. Can be quite frustrating paying a high fee on the majority of your transactions, because the processor smacks you with the "reward card" designation on most transactions. Not an issue with Square, you see the rate and that is the rate you pay, no questions asked.

Pros

We have used many different payment solutions over the years. Most recently we have been using Authorize.net, and while they processed payments just fine, the system is super old and can be frustrating to use. Square is not so, rather they are super easy to use and grow with. Not having to jump through hoops each year to be recertified as PCI compliant (questionnaires and network scans on our end) is really a great bonus we never even knew about before temporarily moving away. We have obviously since moved back and cannot be happier.

Cons

For our photography studio, the biggest drawback was just the taking of the payments, it really didn't feel as professional as it could be when we had to use our phones for large client orders. That has since become an issue in the past as they have so many options now, including the new Square Terminal which we bought and love to death! So really, the biggest flaw we had, has been resolved.

• Industry: Legal Services

Reviewed on 16/07/2019

Definitely Reccomend

Unlike past credit card processing vendors, Square truly makes an effort to show its commitment to small businesses and independent contractors. Even in resolving chargebacks or disputes, Square makes it feel like they've got your back, and that they are doing all they can on your behalf. Past vendors have made it difficult for us to win chargeback disputes by not allowing adequate time to submit documentation or responses, requiring all dispute documents to be physically mailed, etc.

Pros

Square is very user-friendly both as a mobile app and desktop virtual terminal credit card processing provider. Although their processing fees and rates may not be the lowest, they also don't have hidden fees and mystery surcharges (i.e., higher rates for Visa or MC rewards/miles card transactions, etc.). Furthermore, users can easily access sales reports and/or have set up to be sent to an email address automatically at user-specified intervals. Data in the reporting section is easy to read and understand. Our employees are also able to access transactions receipts, issue refunds, and include additional notes or customer details that appear on a receipt or transaction record(s).

Cons

Customer Feedback feature is nice, but extremely limited in terms of utility and as a small business marketing tool. Ideally, Square customer feedback would be able to integrate with other reviews or ratings websites and platforms, such as Google for Business, Yelp, Wordpress, etc. I would love to see future updates to this feature that allow customer feedback to be published to external sites or pages like Facebook or Yelp.
Virtual Terminal/online POS access for multiple users requires a subscription/pro plan, which is prohibitive for small mom-and-pop outfits like ours. Even if free accounts were allowed 2-3 additional user accounts, that would make a huge difference for internal LP and accountability tracking.

Stripe, Wave Accounting and PayPal Zettle
Lillian

Reviewed on 24/01/2019

Finally a Payment Processing Solution without a major learning curve, fast and efficient,...

I believe that Square is the best payment processing solution for small business. The rates are minimal and there's no month to month charge. Square as a company does not send a lot of emails to my business inbox. They know I can go to their site if I have questions. I absolutely love how I can have charged funds in my account within seconds of pushing a button to automatically transfer those funds to my local bank account. Customers are able to review my company after the purchase! Square has become an accepted payment processing solution with my customers who are very comfortable using it. If they've purchased from other retailers who use Square, their send receipt info is automatic. The moment you press the button to conclude the sale, those customers automatically get receipts. Square goes one step further for those of us who do wholesale as well as retail. I take Square on my phone with me into my wholesale stores. I am able to fill shelves as needed and invoice accordingly on my square payment processing app under the invoicing option. I can select terms and send the invoice to the store owner immediately as an email. No more having to worry about doing invoices after the fact. You can create invoices on the fly with Square Payments Processing! Are you a small businessperson looking for a great payment processing solution? Square made my sales a lot easier. No fumbling around to wait on the software in front of a customer. Easy, fast, reliable!

Pros

Square is very easy to use! I am a soap and candlemaker who does a lot of farmers markets and shows and Square has made it very easy for me to accept credit cards on-the-go. For those who like to input inventory, you can do so at your laptop and simply select the products that customers are purchasing from your store or market stand shelves for ease of use. I prefer the option that lets me manually enter an amount. Tax is configured on a separate screen prior to usage. When entering in an amount to charge, the square app calculates the tax automatically. I really like the square payment processing wireless chip reader that allows me to accept credit cards that are chip enabled. Customers sign for their purchase and then indicate if they want to have a receipt sent to their email or their phone, an eco-friendly solution and a way my business cuts down on costs. I don't have to purchase receipt books! At the end of market, I push a button and the funds I charged are in my bank account within seconds!

Cons

Nothing. This is a win, win situation for small business!

Lakita
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Reviewed on 16/03/2020

Couldn't imagine using any other processor

We currently use square payments processing for 3 different locations and have always been able to get the assistance we needed. Recently, our developer was able to work with square to obtain access to their API for our new site. Square was helpful in giving us access for our site that allows pick up and delivery.

Pros

Ease of use, quick payment turn around, helpful support and integration with other software are just a few of the pros.

Cons

There was a recent rate increase that initially concerned me but I was able to find a satisfactory rate by working with my Square Account Manager.

Clover

Reasons for Switching to Square Payments

Processing rates & ease of use, square was better.