About JumpCloud Directory Platform

JumpCloud Directory-as-a-Service is an IT Management software, which helps businesses of all sizes manage devices or workstations including Windows, MacOS and Linux, access to IT resources and user identities. The solution...

Browse JumpCloud Directory Platform Reviews

Reviewed on 25/04/2021

Holistic And Neutral Solution For IAM And Device Management

JumpCloud is the only solution which can provide an authoritative directory, an IdP for SAML and device management combined in a single unified SaaS-based solution. The neutral approach by serving well established standards such as LDAP, SAML and RADIUS for AuthN/AuthZ and having the capability to managed identities (user and their devices) and credentials including SSH-keys on devices is a true differentiator to competitive solutions. On top, JumpCloud's agent for devices enables broad and versatile capabilities to deploy software, configure endpoints and even use this for remediation purposes. Recently, extremely useful additional capabilities have further enabled the value of this solution. Broad insights about systems and the directory itself, consumable via UI and API's, not only helps IT admins in their daily operations, but also serves well for Information Security and GRC-related purposes such as auditing and compliance. Their API's have also enabled capabilities to better orchestrate and automate the on-/offboarding of users and their respective devices and gives good options to venture into ChatOps. New features related to MDM for macOS are now giving an opportunity to further simplify the overall management of the Apple-flee. Especially since macOS Big Sur, the stronger focus on MDM is another enabler.

Pros

The most important benegit, as highlighted above, is that there is no reliance on any on-premise or self-hosted directory infrastructure. A cloud-native solutions such as JumpCloud allows to operate efficiently without being forced to configure, maintain, operate and secure a footprint-heavy stack.

Cons

Until now, MFA is limited compared to other players in the field like Cisco Duo. More options, such as Push-MFA or even QR-codes to be used as multiple factors during authentication across devices and protocols, including LDAP/RADIUS, would further enable leaner footprints and higher efficiency.

Okta, OneLogin and Azure Active Directory

Reasons for Switching to JumpCloud Directory Platform

Not depending on Active Directory as an authoritative directory, flexible in terms of Operating Systems, built on standards such as LDAP, RADIUS and SAML, Endpoints are covered as well without the need for additional solutions in the first place, pricing-model and close-looped support.
Lance F.

Reviewed on 24/09/2020

Satisfied Jumpcloud Organization

We have had a very positive experience. From the onset, we have had great customer support throughout. The customer success teams and engineering teams have all been responsive, and it is clear that they care about the voice of the customer. Our inquiries are responded to quickly, and we are kept in the loop on a monthly basis, or more frequently if necessary, of any changes and what the roadmap looks like.

Pros

Jumpcloud has provided us with a full DaaS solution which we were able to scale easily, and have seen the benefits versus our prior environment. We are able to implement policies and enhance our security posture very easily by utilizing Jumpcloud. The SSO integration is a great feature which is included in the standard plan, and allows us to save money and resources on having an additional solution in our tech stack. The ability to manage all users and endpoints through the console allows for streamlined processing of requests through our Sys admin team.

Cons

I don't like the lack of readily available reporting which can be generated directly from Jumpcloud. The data is all there, and we can get it through various extracts, but I would like to see some high quality embedded reporting with the ability to share and customize reports. I also want to see more integration with services like Slack.

Reasons for Switching to JumpCloud Directory Platform

Jumpcloud made the most sense based on the size of our user base, the cost of the solution, and our needs at the time.
Randy N.

Reviewed on 12/08/2020

JumpCloud, the software that changed the game for companies all over the world.

JumpCloud is an IT / Infrastructure admins dream. Not only is their entire team from sales, to customer success, to engineering, to support amazing, they are very fast to jump on any issues or features you are interested in to help. JumpCloud is my favorite product to date.

Pros

What do I like best? I think the list goes on and on way too long for this. JumpCloud does everything I could think of. From LDAP, to IDP, to server authentication, to MDM and so much more. JumpCloud has helped Octane solve so many issues that I didn't even know I needed to solve. And on top of that their support team and our account manager are the absolute best.

Cons

The only thing I dislike about JumpCloud right now is that since we have so many bookmarks and SSO connections on the user portal, there is no favorites page on there for them to only star the applications they use daily. Its getting cumbersome to keep track and find the applications you need sometimes.

Reasons for Switching to JumpCloud Directory Platform

JumpCloud is the best priced for all the features.
Jesse P.
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

Reviewed on 26/04/2021

The first and most crucial step on my ZeroTrust Networking and various compliance initiatives.

I have been spinning my wheels in implementing ZeroTrust principles in my network, trying to set up the myriad of tools to extend an on-prem directory. I realize I was stuck in 2010, resulting in an unhealthy relationship with Microsoft Active Directory. Now I can tie in all the different services on the cloud to a directory that doesn't so much care about the underlying infrastructure, I can focus on the users and devices and let JumpCloud keep the lights on for me.

Also, I recently had a few gaps in my HIPAA security audit, and I was able to address them very simply with JumpCloud. This turned a fairly lengthy process of configuration management for predominantly mobile devices into a very simple and well-documented solution. The result is I passed my HIPAA verification.

Pros

I love the single source of truth in a cloud-native platform. For me, this feels a little like Git for Users/Devices in that I trust that this is where my users/devices live, not spread out across dozens of disparate systems. Also... dead simple ssh with mfa on Linux... MIND BLOWN!

Cons

Currently, there is no support for device management on Chromebooks or Android.

Okta and OneLogin

Reasons for Switching to JumpCloud Directory Platform

JumpCloud had the features of the competitors I wanted, plus the device management features the others did not have. In the end I have ONE tool that does what it would take TWO tools to do with another platform.
Sean H.

Reviewed on 07/10/2019

Not yet feature complete, but getting closer every quarter

Not having to maintain an internal LDAP directory has been a substantial burden that was lifted by JumpCloud.

Pros

Ease of use for SMB's, changes are reflected instantly, free for up to 10 users forever makes trialing trivial, and MDM features across Windows and Macs are uniquely useful.

Cons

Lacking some features. For example, they support VLAN assignment via RADIUS, but do not support named VLAN's in this configuration. It's not a complete replacement for AD in that you cannot nest groups, they have to be individually managed. The MDM features are some of the most interesting available, but feature availability is highly dependent on OS... for example, while both Mac and Windows have significant options available to them (albeit many fewer that Group Policy in AD provides), Linux has almost none of the MDM features available to it.

Duo Security and Okta

Reasons for Switching to JumpCloud Directory Platform

Availability of 10 free users forever.
Randy T.

Reviewed on 18/08/2020

Simple, Reliable and Affordable

I have been very happy with the price and reliability of the services that I need from JumpCloud. I don't use them all, but what I do use, I use extensively.

Pros

While JumpCloud may not have all the bells and whistles, what it does do, it does well. Super easy to use with a Google GSuite environment.

Cons

I wish SSO was beefed up a little more. Some nicer integrations would be great, but it is possible that there are partnerships with larger DaaS providers that were made exclusive and they can not get access to.

Nick T.

Reviewed on 13/08/2020

Great Product for a reasonable price

It has been a very good experience so far. We are streamlining onboarding of employees and management of all our SaaS accounts.

Pros

The product is very easy to use and helps us work more efficiently. It also help us unify security settings across all of our devices without having to change all of them manually. Computer set up is much smoother now using the agent.

Cons

I wish they had MDM for PCs in addition to Macs. Also, setting up the RADIUS server is difficult because there are so many different kinds of networking devices.

Ping Identity and Okta

Cost and functionality
Isreli R.

Reviewed on 09/09/2019

DaaS as it should be.

Pros

- Simple to use yet allows for more advanced functions.
- No add-ons. Full functionality so it is easier to adopt new functionality.
- The product evolves and adds features very fast.
- New features and the over all product tend to be high quality.

Cons

- Sometimes you can feel the start-uppy nature of the company with less then ripe features released.
- The cloud nature of the service means depending on another company in case of an outage.

Roman C.

Reviewed on 12/08/2020

Very ambitious product, and it delivers!

Would highly recommend.

Pros

Very easy to deploy, and does what it advertises. Do not expect all the mega granular functionality of Microsoft AD, but for a small to medium business, it covers the basis. Strengths are managing remote workers, and ease of use.

Cons

Migration tool is OK, but could use "push" functionality. All devices are not automatically added to the "All Devices" group.

Cross platform and Gsuite integration
Preston R.

Reviewed on 10/09/2019

Simple and effective

Excellent probably the best description I can provide for JumpCloud. In addition to using it for the office, I am personal use it at home.

Pros

Ease of use and works for Windows, Mac, and Linux OS

Cons

The agent periodically does not report. When this issue happens you typically have to reinstall the agent or reset the portal account.

Suresh M.

Reviewed on 23/06/2021

Nice product to maintain userbase at one place for multiple applications

Pros

easy to use
single sign on
Multiple application support
easy to integrate

Cons

issue with JC will tamper our work
Need to maintain carefully

Benjamin B.

Protect Your Sensitive Client Data with JumpCloud

Pros

We use JumpCloud to manage the user access on our office computers. It is an easy way to grant individuals access to specific workstations and protect the data we collect from our clients.

Cons

It is a little difficult to onboard new office staff and familiarize them with the software.

Christopher S.

Reviewed on 10/09/2019

Works great in Linux

Pros

Its ease of use for integrating into the infrastructure was very easy.

Cons

Nothing, it's great. Jumpcloud allows a company to incorporate multiple platforms while still allowing a single point of user and system upkeep.

Derrick K.

Reviewed on 13/09/2019

Use of service after a year

Pros

The ease of access and the pricing model

Cons

A lot of the SAML connectors require custom configurations where other service providers automate a lot of this.

Ken J.

Reviewed on 07/10/2019

Home Use

Pros

I use this for home use for my family and access to information at home. It's easy to use.

Cons

None, the software work as prescribed . No issues at this time.

Keith A.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Reviewed on 09/09/2019

Pros

It was very easy to get started. Lots of information and how toos.

Cons

Still missing some functionality that we need as an organization.

Gaurav P.
  • Used Monthly for 6-12 months

Reviewed on 15/08/2020

Best solution for infrastructure free, Cloud based AD/LDAP Solution

Pros

We frequently use jumpcloud client application for end devices and LDAP and SSO for managing authentication and identity for employees.
Managing user is now easy, just go and delete a user to revoke access to all resources in one click.

Cons

No MDM support for Linux and there are lots of features missing for Linux OS.

• Used Monthly for Free Trial

Reviewed on 27/08/2021

Poor Customer Service

Poor customer service and would not recommend for anyone!

Pros

I was looking forward to testing this tool as a possible solution a while back. Created my account and and started looking at the product.
Not long after I received a phone call from someone at Jump Cloud asking me about how I was going to use the product. I have explained that I was planning on doing a small test by using it on one of my personal test VMs.
I got out of the call and shortly after my Jump Cloud account stopped! It got disabled! Plain rude and that alone is a good reason to not even consider their product ever again.

Cons

I was unable to test the Jump Cloud as a solution as my account got disabled shortly after being created.

David F.

Reviewed on 09/10/2019

Great AD alternative

With end users using G Suite for file storage and sharing, we are able to manage PCs and end user credentials without needing to deploy Active Directory.

Pros

Easy to manage web interface with clear categories and policies.

Cons

Client installation on PCs was more complex than I would have liked.

Reasons for Switching to JumpCloud Directory Platform

More complete directory solution. Easier setup and management. Lower learning curve. Lower cost of entry.
Robert R.

Reviewed on 18/09/2020

Great functional product that tackles most of the Central management and directory functions

Jumpclouds offering has great features and helps simplify the central user management issue we had. Importing users from Gsuite which was the main system that housed all our users centrally was simple, albeit lacking granular import options (such as ignore mailgroups etc)
Systems (which are devices) is the inventory of all your systems running the jumpcloud agent - the greatest feature here is being able to set MFA for logging into your mac, which is very useful if you'd like to bring that security practice in.
Actioning user changes is pretty quick and straightforward but there are some caveats on some of the more everyday features that could be laid out in a slicker fashion. For example resetting a users password cannot be done from a click of a button - you have to go into the account and manually set a new one, or invite the user to reset it themselves, but if you've integrated JC and Gsuite, and they cant get into their email, which partly breaks our self serve functionality we're tyring to bring to the company.
The idea of being able to deploy and manage the admin account when a mac is managed via the agent is a helpful addition taking away the need to implement one through various other means.
Policies as they stand are a little different to what your typical "mdm polices" are. So theres a bit of a distinction to pick up with that.
The Agent & account tis a less forgiving implementation and requires that the account names on the macs match the JC directory.

Pros

Support right through the demo to the purchase, to the implementation. Success criteria are agreed between yourselves and them.
They're improving the product almost daily and have the ability to use web-hooks to monitor service status'
The ease in which you are able to integrate Gsuite (as well as multiple ways to import users from your existing central directory) It also gives you the ability to tailor the input for mass imports to limit the need to get users involved in this stage. The ability to simply submit Ideas to improve the UI. The communication from their design team and being involved in user testing so early on.
The resource and Knowledge base is extensive and easy to read - one of the best Ive used from a company in this space.
The interface is also simple to use and navigate through without being buried under complex sub menus
Straightforward email notifications from the system.
Being able to simply reimport users youve deleted without having to wait for a sync or overlapping the account when reimporting.

Cons

A few tricky bits around JC > Gsuite integration wording that take some time to get your head around when integrating and activating accounts once imported.

The admin vs user console login is dynamic and handled via one URL making it a little frustrating to see what the user profile looks like as you have to log out/open a new window to log in as a user - they should be separate logins URLS/Pages or have dropdowns within the admin page in order to switch between. The lack of global settings to apply around Security means for both user login and System security - you have to apply MFA individually to users
When removing/disabling users there isnt an ability to change what happens to their email account - they will be disabled/suspended immediately.

Not able to tailor the automated emails that come from the system to your users as it stands

Importing users via OUs inside Gsuite isnt possible (its everyone or needing to know user by user who to import (not the end of the world but worthwhile noting if you have more than 200 users + copious amounts of group emails)

Currently no ability to assign users to OUs from within JC to Gsuite.

We utilitise divisions and Departments as sub groups for organising our employees and use this hierarchy in another solution. Youre currently not able to nest groups so we had to flat out create ever department as top level inside the "system of users" section. Again a little niche for us, and shouldnt mark this awesome product down

Okta and OneLogin

Reasons for Switching to JumpCloud Directory Platform

Their offering for the tools and features came in at a great price and offered the greatest value. The ability to manage users as well as manage mac devices was a great bonus to us.

Reviewed on 12/12/2019

Great Application Getting even Better

My overall experience has been nothing but positive. Now that all passwords are sync'd across both local and web services, our users rarely need password resets anymore. Their technical support has been very helpful and responsive in the few (maybe two times in two years?) I've needed to call them.

Pros

I love its ease of use. Getting started using it was effortless as a single tech doing the work. Its ability to serve as a directory server for G Suite, PowerSchool (LDAP), and WiFi (RADIUS) makes my life so much easier. And it's even great that for G Suite it can be user-specific. We have some accounts that we don't tie into JumpCloud simply because they only need email. JumpCloud can "pull" G Suite Accounts if they already exist, and I love how it can "push" accounts as well for creating new users.

Cons

There are a few niceties that they haven't implemented yet. Extensive logs can easily be pulled via their API, but they aren't available via the web-gui. They also haven't yet managed to implement the ability to manage Google Groups through their interface yet (but that's supposedly coming soon).

Jeffrey B.

Reviewed on 09/10/2019

Solid way to manage users

I use jump-cloud for my own business and my clients primarily to help with user management and to manage access to the various services that are used. It jump make all this easier.

Pros

It solves a bunch of problems all at once. You can have Jumpcloud handle your G Suite/Office 365 password, then use that same password for your computer logins and well as for your office's WiFi. A lot of people miss that last one. Small business rarely change the WiFi password, so every exemployee knows how to log in. With Jumpcloud Radius service, everyone uses their Jumpcloud password to log in. If someone is no longer with the company, you disable their Jumpcloud account and they no longer can log in.
If you are a Linux admin, Jumpcloud's system agent can handle password, or even better ssh keys with two-factor authentications. This really take security up while making all it easy to manage.
They keep adding features as well, like recently added management of Bitlocker.

Cons

I only have minor grips. Like to manage LDAP, you have to create an LDAP bind user. No big deal, but that is the only thing I'm going to use that account for. The fact that it shows up as an option for G Suite or for system log ins is unnecessary. Seems like that should be a special user locked away under LDAP tab somewhere.

Aaron G.

Reviewed on 16/08/2020

Directory as a service the next generation

It has been awesome to know I can track staff, device but not use active directory. It's only took a few days to learn the software and the documentation has been awesome.

Pros

Not having to use Microsoft domain management. Less on prem expense and more focus on daily needs. Easy to use and deployment.

Cons

I haven't really had an draw backs from using this software it has really help to go domain less for me as a MSP owner.

Microsoft Azure and Okta

Reasons for Switching to JumpCloud Directory Platform

To have a directory in the cloud and SSO with splash page was perfect and everything I was looking for. I have it connected to most of my major programs and since the agent was added to the systems icons I can easily get to my programs. It as been revolutionary in saving time and money.
Ernesto C.
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

Reviewed on 18/09/2020

Best DaaS and MDM ever

Absolutely love it

Pros

Ease of use and deployment, reliability and visibility.

Cons

At first it was a lack of features, but you guys stepped up the game fast!

Reasons for Choosing JumpCloud Directory Platform

Cost savings and reliability

Jamf Pro

Reasons for Switching to JumpCloud Directory Platform

More catered to my current environment
Moises C.

Reviewed on 22/11/2019

Break away from the traditional way of managing your computers

I love the ability of being able to manage computers and apps from anywhere that I am at. I do not have to be in the office to manage anything. Break away from the traditional settings.

Pros

I love the fact this this is an online solution to your old traditional way to manage computers from internal servers. It branches outside your office to anywhere you want to do work.

Cons

Some of the function setups are not that user friendly. Policies are a headache when selecting what to configure. It's not easy to go back where you left off. Sometimes you have to scroll down a long list of configurations to get back to the location that you last left off from.