Slack Reviews

4.7

4.7

About Slack

Slack is a cloud-based project collaboration and team interaction tool designed to facilitate communication across organizations. The solution caters to various industries, including media, research, technology, education,...

Browse Slack Reviews

23,222 of 23,222 reviews
Frankline
Frankline
  • Industry: Banking

Reviewed on 31/10/2020

PERFECT BRIDGE BETWEEN AGENCY AND WORKERS

Slack qualifies to be the best collaboration tool of our generation with users navigating the app with quite a lot of ease. The experience at large is very positive and with such competitive prices, indeed there lies infinite potential with slack. It offers several intergrations iclusive of outlook and zoom among other essential plugins.

Pros

As a messenger app, the basic functions enabling communications are on a perfect edge with a simple, precise interface very easy to navigate. The search option comes in as a plus as you are able to trace your target messaage on a long thread with simple typing of words on the search bar. With slack, we are able to share files with quite a lot of ease and now with the IRC style, we can separate the conversation threads in the presence of multiple members in a team to set up off-topic discussions.

Cons

When sharing your screen with another team or individual, you have to go back to the initial chat to send a message, I would prefer this being done from the same UI of the screen-share. Also the limitation to the number of users attending a video conference does not confer with large organisations such as ours.

Ronald
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Reviewed on 12/05/2024

Slack is amazing!In the office or on the go,Stay connected with Slack

Client and team communication is much easier with Slack,we are able to keep all our teams and departments on the same page.

Pros

I like that Slack eliminated all the other forms of communication I've used in the past at the office,chatter,email,text and Google messenger.It is easy to use and set up with or without any technical expertise one can use it.

Cons

Nothing in particular to state as a deslike Slack just works wow.

Christopher
Christopher
  • Industry: Research

Reviewed on 27/04/2023

Not bad for small groups, horrible for large groups, free plan is now crippled

Only using Slack with external teams that use them. We no longer use it with our internal teams. Their confusing threaded views is really their downfall. There are other alternatives out there that do a much better job.

Pros

Slack has a very nice, slick interface. When the workspace is not busy, it's very easy to see all the messages and figure out what's relevant for you. Very easy to setup new workspaces and channels. And basically, the key reason why we use Slack is because almost everyone is using it.

Cons

Their free plan is now crippled. Only 90 days of retention. On a number of free workspaces, I wanted to refer back to some info which I no longer can find. Very frustrating. Slack also implements threaded conversations as a "tack-on" feature. Not everyone uses this feature and it just causes more and more user confusion, especially in large workspaces where many messages are mixed into the main channel as well as in threads. Their threads/mentions&reactions views which are supposed to help you filter out things not relevant for you are huge messes. Their pricing plans are also very expensive.

Mattermost, Zulip and Microsoft Teams

Reasons for Switching to Slack

We're no longer using Slack internally. Only for external communication with teams that insist on using it. MS Teams offers better integration with their Office suite. Zulip offers superior threaded conversations and formatting at a much more reasonable cost.

Top Slack Alternatives

Matt
  • Industry: Utilities

Reviewed on 21/02/2024

Slack helps Pickup the Slack

I like using Slack for internal team communications as it is simple and easy to use.

Pros

What I like most about Slack is the ease of use and how simple/straight forward it is. I'm able open the application and connect to and talk with my teammates in real-time.

Cons

Honestly, there is not much that I can say negatively about Slack because it just works. I'm able to accomplish my task with no problems

Reasons for Switching to Slack

It was free to setup and implement for our business and it was easy to do so.
Joy
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Reviewed on 23/04/2024

Slack at ASL

Business instant messaging and employee engagement.

Pros

I like how Slack keep updating, the recent update (video conferencing) is what I am really enjoying since I reduce the hassle for integrating with external web conferencing apps.

Cons

Ever since I started using Slack, it has never disappointed.

Nsereko
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Reviewed on 14/05/2024

Real-time Support Specialist

My overall experience is that am mind blown 🤯 with Slack real-time chats.

Pros

The real-time live chats that are easy to send and have instant feedbacks.

Cons

It has no disadvantages that are affecting me.

Aloice

Reviewed on 06/05/2024

Slack Connecting People Together

Incredible because it connects me with people virtually.

Pros

Slack connects me with my friends and family through video calls.

Cons

Slack does not have any problems, it is a fine platform.

Boris
  • Industry: Internet

Reviewed on 10/04/2024

Reliable communication tool

Pros

Slack is a very valuable tool for our company to coordinate internal projects, team alignment and company communication in hybrid work environment.

Cons

It could improve file management and automation.

Liam
  • Industry: Hospitality

Reviewed on 24/04/2024

Easy setup for team communication

Pros

Clever and intuitive, allows me to engage with team members with a friendly experience.

Cons

Not a lot to say here, except maybe more guides of how to use the tool.

Rono
Rono

Reviewed on 01/04/2024

Slack is surely the king of work related updates, there's no better app.

So far Slack has lived up to its name, a proper communication software.

Pros

I love how related work communities are grouped in channels. this ensures fast and organised communication.

Cons

I dislike the way the slackbot removes members of a channel automatically.

Reviewed on 12/09/2019

Google Hangouts Replacement, Saved us from Teams

I actually enjoy Slack. It is fun to use, and I like much more than sending an email.

Pros

Slack really allows us to communicate effectively based on group or subject. We can communicate directly in the General chat, directly, or in any number of specialized group channels. Each team has their own channel, and if needed, that channel can be locked to prevent other teams from entering.

Most are open channels that allow for any of our teams to come in and converse on the subject titled. One our favorite things to use are external apps. I love that Slack will pop up an upcoming appointment or if we need a meeting in say Zoom, I can just type /zoom and it will generate a Zoom link and we can all join in. We are on the free tier, so with the higher level tier, you can get conferencing and a wealth of other features added in. The free level serves us very well.

We use email integration also, so important emails and even things like weather alerts pop up as a Slack notification. It is really a great service.

Cons

Can be confusing to use if you are not used to chat systems such as Hangouts or WhatsApp though. The idea of a separate room, or Group chat, confuses some, but once they see how things work, it is a non-issue.

Reasons for Choosing Slack

HATED Hangouts first off, but then the long term decision to shutdown hangouts for non-business users was the final nail. We refused to switch to Duo, which was also killed off.

Reasons for Switching to Slack

Microsoft Teams is a poor implementation of what Slack is. It is a burden to use. The layout of the Teams application was awful and the channel layouts were hard to use. It was free to use also, but we did not want to deal with that headache. I think that if Teams did not come with O365, people would not use it. It is awful. Slack is designed so much better overall.
Heather

Reviewed on 24/11/2019

Connecting made easy

I have used many messaging platforms in my professional career and for me, Slack takes the cake! It is really modern and the features are very easy to use. I also like how Slack manages new feature release which you can always tell us based off of recent user feedback. Slack is extremely intuitive and my team team (even those who prefer to communicate less ) enjoy using it.

Pros

Slack is great for collaborating and communicating with your immediate team and across multi functional teams as well. Creating channels that are topic specific such as DevOps or functional area (product) specific allows people from across the organization to post questions, comments, share docs (slack has a larger file capacity that our email server), and subscribe to certain posts such as issue management. I really like the @all, channel, specific person functionality because of how it is linked to notification management. My other favorite slack feature is pinning certain threads which Slackbot can help remind you when new detail is published pertaining to the thread.

Cons

I wish that there was a history roll up available so I could check back maybe 4 moths or so to see who I talked to. For instance, I was recently troubleshooting a technical issue and knew I had spoken with someone before to resolve the same problem a few months back. However it was in a 1:1 direct message and for the life of me I could not remember their name! I wish there was some type of running history that could show me everyone I have corresponded with because there is only so much room in the section doe Direct Messages in the fixed Slack side bar/column. I also wish that I could get a daily roll up of direct message communications to my email because I like the notification I have setup for whenever a new Slack message comes accross.

Nicholas

Reviewed on 03/01/2020

Great integrations with tools

We were on Skype for Business and the features on Slack are much richer and better. Some people are using Teams, which is also a good alternative, but for some people the heavy footprint of the full Teams product was a bit too much.

Pros

It's an easy, reliable tool to use for messaging, and easily organizes teams with channels for discussion. The integrations with web hooks are also very useful for using other developer/production tools for software development. Custom slackmojis are also a fun morale booster.

Cons

The free version has a short history span, but this is understandable given it has a free version. When having a direct ad hoc conversation with multiple people (not wanting to setup a channel), it can be difficult to read the names for each conversation and distinguish one from the other. Maybe there's a way to rename the convo, but I haven't found it yet.

Deprecation

Reasons for Switching to Slack

Lighter weight, and we have some company developers who only use Linux so because there isn't a Teams for linux distribution we couldn't use it.
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Reviewed on 04/08/2020

Great Business Continuity Tool

It has been a great experience using Slack. It is a valuable tool and I really like how we are able to collaborate as a team and make it seem as if we are still working together in the office.

Pros

1:1 Chat - Ability to have 1:1 conversations with team members. Useful when working on a project together.
Team Collaboration - Ability to bring a project together and share with a team.
Group Chat - Ability to have one area/space where the team collaborates, shares ideas, and works together to communicate issues.
Bot Integration - Ability to integrate various tools and bots that can make the day easier. Ability to integrate to web conferencing tools like Zoom, Webex, Teams. Ability to create to-do lists, track time, etc.
Manage Team - Great way to manage a team who is working remotely in various geographic locations.

Cons

Still trying to work around our SSO integration - This is mostly an internal bug we are trying to work on, but it would be nice if we can make Slack to work for a single sign on experience.

Reasons for Choosing Slack

To streamline processes across the globe and to ensure a means of consistency across all teams.

Reasons for Switching to Slack

Slack was inexpensive and has the value of simplifying the use across our different levels of technological expertise in the company.
Matthew

Reviewed on 24/10/2020

Staying on the same page is important

Slack really helps my employees stay on the same page but only if they use it. Sometimes I need to remind them to use it. It definitely helps keep people informed of current events at the company.

Pros

What I like most is that slack is incredibly customizable. If you can think of a thing that needs to be done in the workplace slack has an implementation of it. Keeps everyone on the same page

Cons

Notifications can get out of control without setting up when you want to be notified. If you sign up for the free plan it doesn't save your conversations for more than a few months so you'll need to send any critical important data through email.

Reasons for Choosing Slack

Mainly because it forces people to look at situations and helps hold them accountable.

Reasons for Switching to Slack

We just the free version. Price reasons are why we chose slack. Although, we are considering getting the paid plan now.
Matt
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Reviewed on 01/12/2020

Great communication tool

We have loved it. It has become the primary (almost exclusive) means of intra-department communication for our IT team.

Pros

I love pretty much everything about Slack. I love the ability to easily create new private and public channels; the ability to create conversation threads; the ability to pin comments; the huge selection of app integrations; the customizable Slackbot responses (we have had a lot of fun with this one); dark mode; the ability to quickly and easily share files with other members of the Slack workspace; the awesome Slack call feature; the ability to quickly access multiple Slack workspaces by adding them to the left sidebar; the native rich-text editor for enriching comments (including the code block option, which has been hugely useful for us); and the ease of management.

We have found Slack to be a tremendously useful communication and collaboration tool for our organization.

Cons

I don't have a lot of complaints about Slack. One small annoyance is the truncated "Direct messages" list on the left side. This list displays team members to whom you have recently sent a direct message. However, it would be more useful if it was just a scrolling list of ALL team members (alphabetized), maybe even with a quick search box at the top, so you could quickly send a direct message to anyone on the team, and not just those with whom you have had a recent direct message conversation.

That's really it in terms of cons. It is a great tool that has become indispensable for us.

Reasons for Switching to Slack

It just seemed to be a much more robust solution, with a vast set of features that we love, such as the ability to tie into other applications we use. Also, the interface is much more intuitive, and communication feels more efficient.

Reviewed on 29/07/2021

The best remote collaboration tool I have EVER used!

Slack is the easiest collaboration tool I've ever used. I am currently acting as Scrum Master for four agile teams, and it's easy to keep in touch with all of them and coordinate standups. File sharing is extremely easy

Pros

Slack is a user-friendly, robust collaboration tool that allows for quick setup and access to channels both public and private. Asynchronous communication is a cinch and the Mentions and Reactions feature allows for easy access to what recent messages you have received.

Cons

Due to Slacks' third party app space, there are some features that might seem to be missing at first but need to be found as a third party feature. This involves an admin or an owner having to approve the app being installed. This can sometimes be a bit of a headache on the admin end, as it requires going to obscure parts of the app to approve. It could be an easier experience.

Reasons for Choosing Slack

Yammer was too slow and "social media" like for us. We wanted a faster, easier tool for us to quickly communicate with one another.

Microsoft Viva Engage

Reasons for Switching to Slack

Teams lacked a lot of the features Slack has, such as custom reactions, quick calls and file uploading. We decided to stick with Slack as it offered what a more agile-friendly experience.
Ilan
Ilan
  • Industry: Graphic Design

Reviewed on 01/09/2022

Slack Review

Slack has been a go-to team meeting and chat platform at different positions and also during communal club spaces for organizations, such as the graphic design organization AIGA, which I frequent within my local design community. I haven't had any major issues with it thus far ans can easily recommend it. Being a business-focused chat space it also does not have silly loading messages like Discord which I've also used and which also worked well, but felt a bit unprofessional at times.

Pros

Slack is an easy to navigate, light on hardware platform to facilitate teamwork. You won't need a top of the line computer to run it so even in remote work conditions you will reliably have it available. There are not excessive features to get lost in or particular issues finding your team meetings constantly, a code to the overall Slack channel is sufficent.

As opposed to other productsused for video conferences such as Zoom, everything is built in on Slack for "one stop shopping" using the program. It allows for image uploads and other useful tools such as split channels for specific tasks like designating a set of crew members to a task in a server,

Cons

The user interface is readable but slightly bland with the entire white color scheme. It's not strictly necessary but it can be difficult to only look at that color scheme for when you use it, other programs like Discord have variability.

Lina

Reviewed on 06/11/2023

Great collaboration platform

Slack seems to been the best collaboration currently available

Pros

Simple to install, setup, and use for an organization of any size. They continue to enhance and improve. The search capability is very slick and the option to save a message for quick find later is great. Easy to organize channels and direct messages into groups. Has a lot of add ons which help integrate with other tools within a work environment. Great documentation and community support.

Ease of management is a highly desired feature, which slack provides. Collaboration options like audio/video calls, file sharing, screen sharing, ability to select which screen/desktop to share, and group calls are amazing features which work really well

Cons

Nothing that stands out other than occasional bugs which get addressed soon. Some apps send notifications even after they are muted.

Reviewed on 11/12/2018

Ultimate place for communication strengthening our Business style

High Availability: it provides multiple modes of the communications. we can setup channels for the specific topics send messages directly to one and many at same time
search function: one place we can search all the required apps rather than nesting in different tools
Ability to share emoji making the communication funny and attractive.
Best UI and all the required apps at one place

Pros

This slack is great for real time group discussions and it has large varieties of the integrations which includes different varieties like Google drive and it has capabilities to include large number of people to communicate at same time. Almost all the big and small organisations are utilizing in expanding their business strategies and productivity. The best of slack is it has an option of the private chat group where only the authorized and permitted members can join and have secure communication. Slack has large variety of the options like snippet exchange file exchange and we can easily create slack bots for our communication with all the elegant features. it sends the push notifications to mobile if it founds message is unread for lot amount of time. I recommend for all the companies to utilize and expand growth in business slack will be best tool it is easy simple secure and with less cost.

Cons

The least of this software is there is no calendar which is what we are expecting in the next upgrade a part from that there is no voice call features to communicate. Looking for the preview options in the slack as every time the files need to be downloaded from slack a part from that if there is a preview option the file can be made with pdf this could be much more helpful

Reviewed on 06/03/2019

Slack is great tool for communication within company and conferences!

We are an international company with US head quarters and multiple international locations. It is our corporate policy to use Slack for all corporate communications and as preferred tool for conferences within and outside of the company. So far, experience was extremely positive!

Pros

We have recently implemented Slack for all corporate communication. I absolutely love the tool! Once somebody types a message, you get email notification and can open messages right away. You can form project groups and do all communication, conferences for relevant group members. I think this is especially valuable for global corporations with multiple international locations like my company. Our project team members work at different multiple US and international locations with huge differences in time zone. Slack allows us to form project group and add people from different offices to these group. Then, I type message and everyone in the group can see it. Also, I could initiate a call to everyone within group and it is fast and easy - actually, as easy as calling one person. I also love Slack feature of screen sharing during those calls. I can share my screen with the group, can review detailed Excel files. This is very important in finance function in which I work. We have finance teams at multiple location. Screen sharing feature allows us to share and discuss very detailed Excel files and make corrections during call with finance project team. We are consulting company and view security of client information as key to our successful business. Slack is a very secure tool. So, our company is feeling very positively about sharing information and communication for our client project teams using Slack. Overall, Slack is great tool!

Cons

I really like Slack. I was a little bit surprised that it is not as widely know like for example, Skype or other communication/conference tool. This is great tool and my advise to Slack team is to increase its publicity. With all this great functionality, Slack can be used for a lot of companies and spread widely!

Jon

Reviewed on 10/05/2019

Slack changes the model for business communication

Great communication tool and indispensable in the modern world of business.

Pros

It's IRC for business communication with a (much) nicer interface. Slack organizes discussions into channels and IM. It's easy to reach out to anyone in the company and have a discussion. Even better is the ability to bring in external users (customers) who can then quickly converse with support and engineering teams. For any new open source project, Slack is the preferred way to communicate with other contributors and users. Recently Slack has even added the ability to do VOIP calls through their platform. The mobile app works well and the UI is well designed to mimic the desktop app.

Slack also integrates with pretty much everything out there and it's also simple to write your own bots and plugins for Slack. For instance, we have a bot that alerts whenever someone writes to use on Intercom, as well as another that checks Stack Overflow for new messages pertaining to our project.

Finally Slack pricing is fairly competitive. There's a free tier which gives you most functionality except for the ability to search (if you exceed 10,000 messages). Then multiple paid tier options based on the number of users in your organization.

Cons

The desktop and mobile apps are my preferred way to use Slack and occasionally the performance tends to drag. Once in a while the Slack mobile app will unexpectedly terminate, although in recent updates it does that less frequently. I also don't like the fact that private conversations aren't really private as companies have the ability to request Slack for those records. I get it for compliance reasons, but be warned that private conversations are never private!

The search UI workflow isn't the most intuitive, they should just op for some universal search versus organizing the search results by type.

Reasons for Switching to Slack

Ease of use, features, user preference
Jason Taylor
Jason Taylor
  • Industry: E-Learning

Reviewed on 05/04/2020

Necessary for any Team that wants to Communicate

It's a very powerful tool that is the backbone of non-face-to-face communications. It's easier and less formal than emails so folks are more apt to just jump in and communicate (which is great). But with loose structure around it, folks are more apt to just spout nonsense in there. The chatroom style of organizing the communication can make it difficult to get past noise since it only takes a GIF or two to push the real communication out of visibility. It's like any communication tool there needs to be etiquette, organization, etc. Slack just happens to be one of those tools that is so powerful and flexible that it can make things very productive or very distracting.
In the end, with folks being remote, it is an incredibly handy tool (desktop app, browser, or mobile app) to keep folks in touch with each other.

Pros

I love that almost any service can send notification through Slack either directly or with an integration tool. Jira ticket creations get alerted in specific channels based on project/issue type for example. And Slack can be used to create polls, set reminders, etc. The sidebar organizes your channels (which can be public or private) as well as your DMs (which can be with 1 person or a group of people). The search function is neat, and channels/DMs can be searched/saved/archived/etc.

Cons

Ok, the downside can be astronomical- but it can be controlled with good administration. Slack can easily get out hand with multiple channels that confuse standard-authoritative messaging, and if the channels get too numerous then Slack monitoring can become a very distracting activity (so make rules on channel creation). Similarly, the flexibility of Slack can lead to a wide range of input from folks (GIFs, emoji-reactions, etc.).

Jared Allen

Reviewed on 18/08/2022

Generally, experience is very useful and helped in sorting out the group correspondence quite well. Professionals: The best thing about slack is group cooperation and correspondence. The gathering and classifications in view of the subject are very great and help in the isolation of content in light of need. Also, it is very organized and easy to communicate especially in posting in thread.

Pros

Slack assists you with talking and communicating with specific individuals and groups inside your association or different associations with Slack rapidly. It likewise allows you to track all that individuals have said about a thought so you can look by catchphrase for a particular thought. I love it. I use it consistently, and you might actually say it's the collective conscience for the association. It's such a ton lighter than an email client, and I want to do my help tickets with different associations with it(honestly, there's likely an application for it out there). This leads me to another incredible point; Slack is perfect for rapidly imparting thoughts and coordinating a few applications. Pretty soon, the association between SF and Slack will improve, I'm certain. Your association needs Slack in the event that it can manage the cost of it. It is priceless for diminishing the time it takes to team up and use aggregate insight.

Cons

Allow me to begin by saying you're likely not going to find anything better than Slack. These reactions are enhancements to the item I think ought to be made however are in no way, shape, or form a legitimization for why you shouldn't utilize this. Email is killing your business by making you and your group sit around idly. My one test with any undertaking application is that it can get somewhat hard to figure even to design every one of those settings(email is more awful at this than Slack). I wish that settings were suggested in view of the use of highlights inside the application. Kindly assist me with figuring out how to involve Slack in additional useful ways. Kindly don't make me swim through help articles and directions. All things considered, put the button to switch the setting in a pop-around directly in the center of my work process or in a notice on Slackbot so I can roll out the improvement there and see the reason why it will assist me with being more useful. Warnings are difficult to make due, however, they're getting better at that. Simply realize I'm suffocating and would cherish a component worked in that offered the response to FAQs by utilizing some ML(apps that do this are too costly on the API to be worth the effort). I'm a well-informed authority and get pinged with a lot of DMs and's in channels that basically have similar responses. Assist me with volume so I as a solitary individual can help more individuals. Some something to think about. Also, they

Sue

Reviewed on 04/12/2019

A firm favorite to help your business thrive

I've been using Slack since early days ...it's amazing. I love that the developers pledged to keep the free plan available, to help startups and small businesses – and that the new owners are honoring that pledge.

I have enjoyed creating accounts for a number of my clients over the years. It's great that all our conversations are in one place, sorted by category and that conversations can be exported.

As a member of several workspaces I love being able to navigate between them so easily.

Finally, it's a real boon to have a robust search facility to locate snippets of text or shared documents that would have been hard to find on other platforms.

Pros

Slack is the only communication app that I always have open, no matter what.

What I like most is the fantastic UI. The design is great "out of the box", but the real bonus is being able to customize it with your logo and brand color palette.

I love being able to set up an account for a client and give them a color link that applies their branding to their desktop app with one click.

Cons

Navigating set up and preferences is clunky. Some features are hard to find, especially the custom branding, which is a shame as it's such a lovely feature. Once you find the right page, the process is a cinch!

To change the colors: click on the tiny arrow to the right of the workspace name to get the dropdown menu. Choose "Preferences", NOT "Customize Slack" (that opens up a web page where you can load your own icons etc).

In the preference menu select "Themes". Scroll down to the bottom to access the custom feature, where you can enter the exact Hex color references or pick colors you fancy. (Pay attention to contrast of text against background). Copy the line of code from the box to share the same values with others on your team (just paste it into a message). All they need to do is click on it to apply the colors to their desktop app.