Squarespace Reviews

About Squarespace

Squarespace helps users create websites and offers an e-commerce solution for small and midsize businesses for building online stores. Squarespace e-commerce solutions allow users to sell products and services, as well as manage...

Browse Squarespace Reviews

2,952 of 2,952 reviews
Jenna
Jenna

Reviewed on 04/08/2019

The Best AND Easiest Website-Creating Software You Will Ever Use!

Squarespace has saved me time, money, and has allowed me to expand my photography business over the past 5 years by providing the perfect place for clients to find me online. Plus, I get SO many compliments on my website! People always comment on how it is professional, clean, and easy to navigate.

Pros

When I first started looking for a platform to create a website for my fledgling photography business nearly 5 years ago, there were a few specific characteristics I was seeking: I needed the platform to be easy to use, quick to set up, and to showcase my photos in an optimal way to potential clients. I found all of that and more with Squarespace! I was able to get my website set up in just a few days and was able to do it without any tears or that "I'm going to pull my hair out!" feeling. If anything, it was the complete opposite! I couldn't believe how easy everything was to set up and how professional my website looked.

Cons

The ONE thing I wish Squarespace had more of: more creative templates. Their website templates are a great, solid "skeleton" (if you will), but you definitely have to put extra work in if you want to make your website stand out from others who utilize the same template.

Reasons for Switching to Squarespace

Squarespace was the easiest to get set up - fast. And it's the easiest to maintain, in my opinion! Many of my colleagues talk about their website woes, and about how hard it is to change certain things on their site. With Squarespace's intuitive drag and drop features (perfect for people who want to stay away from code!), anything can be easily changed at the click of a button.
Benjamin
Benjamin

Reviewed on 08/08/2023

A powerful website building solution

Squarespace has been a strong tool for my photography business. It's allowed me to easily create and update a portfolio website. While there are some customization limits I've been happy with Squarespace overall for years;

Pros

Squarespace offers great design templates, a user-friendly interface, and buit-in, reliable features. Gone are the days of dealing with plugins, updates and other headaches that come with some other tools.

Cons

I've run into some customization limitations, their update to the most current version was far from seamless, requiring customers to rebuild their sites rather than be upgradeable. There are cheaper options out there for sure as well.

Webflow

Reasons for Choosing Squarespace

I was tired of dealing with template updates, hosting issues, plugins etc.

Reasons for Switching to Squarespace

I like the end design of many webflow projects but it didn't seem as easy to build and manage on a day to day basis.
Amy
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Reviewed on 01/04/2024

Great blogging platform

Pros

There are lots of capabilities and features built into this blogging platform, and after a bit of a learning curve, I can take advantage of most of them.

Cons

It took me a bit longer than other blogging platforms to master, but it really is intuitive and packs a lot of tools.

Top Squarespace Alternatives

Sonja
  • Industry: Events Services
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Reviewed on 18/03/2024

Customer service and support woeful

Terrible customer and I'm leaving the platform and taking my business elsewhere

Pros

An option for e-commerce transactions and onsite transactions

Cons

The customer service experience when I experienced an issue was subpar. Completely inflexible and quite frankly condescending with generic answers and no actual help offered

Nicole
  • Industry: Graphic Design

Reviewed on 19/01/2024

Great for DIYers

Overall, I always recommend it as an viable option to my clients to choose from when helping them build a website because of its' user-friendly and low learning curve.

Pros

Squarespace offers beautiful templates and an easy-to-use platform to quickly and easily set up a website. It's also easy for me to teach my clients how to manage it effectively.

Cons

It is limited in its' design options and flexibility so if you're more advanced in web design, it might not be the right platform for you unless you're very well-versed in coding. I also find it a bit expensive considering its' restrictions.

Reasons for Choosing Squarespace

Thought it might be better. Wanted to try it out for myself.

Reasons for Switching to Squarespace

Squarespace was different than Wix (so wanted to try it out) and less complicated than Wordpress.
Stephen
  • Industry: Design

Awesome platform to use!

Pros

They have some of the more aesthetically pleasing themes of other platforms I've used

Cons

A bit of a learning curve with knowing how to edit in the themes.

Cassie
  • Industry: Farming

Reviewed on 09/05/2024

No website design experience needed!

Very pleased. Editing the website on the backend reflects exactly how the website looks from the front end.

Pros

No website design experience needed to learn how to create and design webpages.

Cons

I wish the refund process was more simple.

Ellenore
Ellenore

Reviewed on 26/03/2024

Good website builder for small business

Pros

I love that I can easily customize my website to fit my needs. Even the editor on my phone works well!

Cons

Sometimes my information isn’t saved when I’m making edits. But it’s usually my fault!

Christy
  • Industry: Online Media
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Good website to use

Pros

I've used squarespace for payments and website.

Cons

Nothing yet. Its been pretty good so far.

Carl
  • Industry: Broadcast Media
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Reviewed on 02/04/2024

Building a website couldn't be easier!

Overall, its perfect for our needs, an easy way to get a great website built and begin marketing your brand.

Pros

Easy to use, link to a domain, and start building your very own space right away.

Cons

Can be a little limited, but if your not experienced in building websites more in depth this is ok.

Joshua
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Reviewed on 29/07/2019

Squarespace gives you web-designer results even if you don't happen to be one.

Overall, I love this product. Everything just works, all the time. No patches, no updates. Easy, easy, easy. And when I made the switch, the actual initial setup of the site took less than a day. Granted the copy was all mostly written, and I was largely just copying and pasting. But still--the whole website was user-ready in a day.

Pros

Squarespace gives a fantastic user experience at every step of the process. Setup is a snap, site design and layout are easy, with a click-and-drag graphical menu system that makes it easy to visualize the overall structure of the site. Page design is super easy, with drag and drop modules that provide a wide range of functionalities. And there is an integrated store and payment system powered by Stripe.

I also love the code block module -- this has been super helpful in beginning to integrate our directory functionality into the website. If you know some HTML, this can be a big plus in adding features.

The responsiveness is nearly flawless and (almost always) looks exactly the way I want it to, no matter what device I'm using.

Cons

Squarespace does not provide a native file serving solution. Our organization needs to provide documents, forms, and announcements to members. I have created a workaround using Google Drive and a hyperlinked index page on the site, but if I were not already able to use Google Apps script, the maintenance of this index page would be cumbersome.

There is also no member-forum type module offered by Squarespace. Again, there are workarounds for this, but it would be nice to have a native solution.

Also, the Squarespace calendar module does not integrate with Google Calendar. Once again, I have found a workaround for this using an <iframe> in an HTML code block, but it would be nice if there were native Google Calendar integration offered by Squarespace.

Reasons for Choosing Squarespace

Once I had started tinkering with Squarespace, there was no comparison. Joomla is...fine, I guess. It does offer a lot of flexibility that Squarespace does not, but there is a skill-barrier as a trade-off. Using Joomla was a constant rotation of updating the main software package, keeping plug-ins and add-ons (I'm still not sure what the distinction between those is, but Joomla insisted there is one...) up to date, and then dealing with a new round of conflicts between the new versions of the modules with the new version of the software. It was maddening, and our site still didn't look very good.

Joomla

Reasons for Switching to Squarespace

Honestly, it was probably due to advertising. Squarespace is advertised in nearly every podcast I listen to, and so I decided to tinker with it one day. I didn't hear of Wix until later, was less familiar with it, and so it wasn't my go-to.
Patrice
  • Industry: Entertainment

Reviewed on 25/09/2019

Be Fancy....AND Simple....Live Your Website Dreams!

Overall, Squarespace gets the job done and looks good doing it! I do hope that there's continued improvement in the area that I mentioned above, but overall, I've been happy with Squarespace.

Pros

What drew me to Squarespace initially were the aesthetics. The style and choice of their templates were a cut above what I had seen on Wordpress or WIX - of which I did try using both platforms at one point in time. I also LOVE how user friendly Squarespace is! Even if you're not super techie, it feels very intuitive and dare I say...fun to use...

Cons

One of my biggest cons lies within the "blogging" aspect of Squarespace. There are a great deal of limitations in formatting, especially if you don't know how to code. When creating a draft of a blog, Squarespace does not *automatically save anything as you go....so I cringe at the times that I've lost an entire blog post because something froze --- the remedy I was told was to simply type out a blog post in another application (Word, etc.) and then post it in the blog section. But I often find myself editing a draft in Squarespace -- making final corrections.....so I have to be veryyy careful to only edit in my "Word" document and not make any changes once I put it into Squarespace or it has the potential of being lost....

Reasons for Choosing Squarespace

The templates and the simplicity.

Reasons for Switching to Squarespace

The ease and the pretty professional templates that were customizable.
Kinsey
Kinsey

Reviewed on 11/12/2019

Web Design, but make it fun.

I first started using Squarespace under another Photographer, whom I was managing their studio and day to day "to-do's". I took over her website maintenance and blog, to which was surprisingly easy to navigate. I loved how I was able to read analytics and see what content was working and what was not. The sleek layouts made a few easy clicks look like I spent 4 years in web design. So it was really a no brainer when I decided to start my own business; I knew I would be showing my work to the world through Squarespace. There is just something about the designs of these Squarespace websites that look stunningly polished and exceptionally functional.

Pros

As a former user of Wordpress, I found Squarespace to be a breath of fresh air. I've be using it since 2014 and have never looked back. It actually made designing my website and grabbing analytics fun! When navigating the software, it felt like I had been here before. It was so easy to find the tools and customize the fonts and sizing to my preferences. Adding pictures in where I need them is easy and the layouts they offer display my work in such a beautiful fashion that even I'm blown away. All in all, I love this software because it offers so many different themes and customizations without being confusing. It's actually fun and I love that a blog is included with my site. It's like a whole other site to customize and tweak to your taste. I was never a blogger before but now I don't have a choice, Squarespace makes it too easy to make excuses now.

Cons

There are very few things that come to mind when talking about disliking this software. I do wish there was a larger library of fonts readily available for each area of customization, across all themes.

Reviewed on 15/01/2020

A beautiful website, tailored to you

I have a beautiful, functional website to direct clients to. It has a blog, a shop where they can purchase items and much more. The site allows me to capture visitor information, make sales and create first interactions with me and my services. It allows me to have a "home base" from which I launch all of my projects and ideas. I have had Squarespace for several years now and never plan to change--it's really that good! I have experimented with other providers but never found anything so well crafted and easy to use.

Pros

Squarespace allows you to select a plan that fits your needs. You can choose plans with unlimited pages, commerce options and much more. I love that it's made to be user friendly and there is no coding required (you can code as an advanced option but it's really not at all needed since they offer you everything). You can add all kinds of features to webpages, like forms, surveys, images and much more just by adding elements they call "blocks". This makes it very easy to customize the website to look, feel and operate just like you would like. If you previously couldn't realize your website dreams due to a lack of technical know-how, you can use Squarespace to design like a pro.

Cons

Sometimes it can be slightly unintuitive as to where to find something, so it takes me a few extra minutes to find out where I can tweak a specific setting.

Customer support is excellent and fast to respond but only by email or chat, not by phone.

You do have to upgrade to a higher plan for some features, like abandoned cart recovery at checkout, for example; however, for the value they offer, I think all the upgrades are worth the cost.

Reasons for Switching to Squarespace

Wordpress is effective but I found it much harder to design things when I have tried it out. Wix doesn't look as professional as Squarespace and has many fewer functionalities.
Bridget

Reviewed on 01/12/2020

You get what you pay for

After trying multiple free website building options, I finally relented and tried out the demo version on Squarespace to see what the learning curve would be like, and if it would be worthwhile ot go the paid route for a website. The answer was a resounding yes, and I've subsequently built 3 more sites with them since our first one.

I tell every new business owner starting out, check out squarespace, save yourself the headace of the free platforms that limit creativity, and watch your business grow by the day.

Pros

Ease of use
Easing learning curve
layout options
customizations options
sleek templates
quick onboarding

Cons

Towards the beginning of my experience with Squarespace, I needed some customer sesrvice and the process to find where I could go for help was not easy. This was back in 2017 however, so I'm not sure if that process has improved since then (I'd like to think so!)

• Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Reviewed on 31/03/2021

Allowing my nonprofit's website to stay adaptive and relevant amidst an ever-changing web.

Squarespace won me over after years of thinking I could do a better job "designing it" on my own with free templates for WordPress. Time and time again I would spend days or weeks on the site, be happy with it, and then months later it would all be out of date, look old, and not function in the ways that information transfer had shifted by internet users. I decided that a professional, clean and easy to use Squarespace site, with robust back-end capabilities is what I needed, and I have not been disappointed.

Pros

Squarespace really has their act together in offering a clean, easy to use , beautiful web building platform. I run a media and video production nonprofit, and the needs and functionality of my site have evolved almost yearly since 2013. The way that people engage with content on the internet is always changing, and I got caught up in the flow of trying to always evolve the website to keep up. I used GoDaddy and WordPress for too many years, and eventually migrated them all to Squarespace because it was all just so much more streamlined, modern, clean and simple. I now have the basic website I need, and know that there are many many ways to customize it if needed without messing up the whole site (as happened many times on WordPress)

I changed my entire .com and .org from a WordPress template on GoDaddy, and could not be happier with the customer service I received from Squarespace, they were so helpful in getting everything aligned for the transition.

Cons

I wish there were maybe 15-20 more templates, and that a few of them were specifically meant for video galleries, as that is what my organization focuses on in our storytelling, videos. I would love a template tailor made for aggregating videos. For now I can use a photo gallery or blog and adapt it, which works fine, but my wish list would be a video focused and designed template.

Wix, WordPress and GoDaddy Website Builder

Reasons for Choosing Squarespace

Squarespace had a comparable price, much more attractive templates, and a reputation for customer service that met expectations! I also just trusted and knew from looking at other sites, that Squarespace keeps up with what a modern website "should" have and look like to engage users. I'm not a designer or UI person, and trust Squarespace. It's worth paying them to do the design so I can just plug in content!

Reasons for Switching to Squarespace

It met all of my needs, was around the same price, and I love that hosting, domain and templates can all just be wrapped into one account. Squarespace just had the better lookcng websites templates as well, and customer service did not disappoint!
Lola
  • Industry: Design

Reviewed on 06/12/2022

Great design features but need more e-commerce support

I enjoy using Squarespace. If the e-commerce features are more competitive, it would be a perfect website builder!

Pros

Squarespace is amazing for putting together an attractive, professional website in no time. Having used various website builders over the years, I'd say Squarespace is the most beginner-friendly. The website templates are beautiful and very easy to edit - no coding or design skills required! Because of Squarespace's extensive customisable design elements, it is best for portfolio websites - where stylish layout is important and you don't need advanced e-commerce features. And being one of the most established website builder platforms around, you can also trust that your website will be secure.

Cons

Squarespace isn't so great in terms of e-commerce integration. For example, it lacks the infrastructure to create useful shipping options (e.g. free delivery over £50), which should be an essential e-commerce feature. If you're looking to build an online store, I wouldn't recommend Squarespace.

Wix, WooCommerce, WordPress, GoDaddy Website Builder and Shopify

Reasons for Choosing Squarespace

Building websites manually is too time-consuming, when Squarespace is so pretty and easy to use.

Wix, WooCommerce, WordPress and Shopify

Reasons for Switching to Squarespace

I switched from Wordpress because Squarespace was easier to use.
Maria
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Reviewed on 09/05/2023

My Love for all things Squarespace!

Incredible and stress free.

Pros

What I like most is it’s ease of use, new Fluid Engine and their stellar customer service.

Cons

At this point with the new Fluid Engine and new design features I cannot think of anything else I would want; however that doesn’t mean there aren’t always new features that can be added. What I do know is that Squarespace listens to their users and they have responded by adding incredible new features and functionality. They continue to provide the best quality and reliability for their customers and that’s what keeps me a Squarespace user.

Reasons for Choosing Squarespace

I was regularly (weekly) being attacked by hackers and my site would be locked. It just wasn’t worth the stress. Plus I did not like having to purchase extra this and that plug-ins for everything and just to keep my site safe. It was a waste of time, effort and money.

Reasons for Switching to Squarespace

Squarespace’s entire setup and onboarding is clean and simple and it works well for me. I’m able to follow all the steps and it is easy.
Darren
  • Industry: Broadcast Media

Reviewed on 03/06/2023

For simple website design and amangement look no further.

I think squarespace is great. For a non technical user what this provides me with is a very simple and quick way of developing and managing an attractive website with all the functionality needed.

Pros

Squarespace makes designing and managing your website simple. Making edits, implementing redesigns are quick and easy to complete. This was the main reason we switched as we wanted anybody to be able to manage the website with no need for technical web skills.

Cons

Sometimes the way things work are not intuitive, they remain easy, but initially the way to achieve something is not always obvious. Additionally Squarespace in my opinion is not designed for high end, high functionality websites so for some the service may be limited.

Wix, Elementor and GoDaddy Website Builder

Reasons for Choosing Squarespace

Wordpress was to difficult to manage and we wanted a service that allowed for easy website management without the need of hiring a proffessional web team.

Reasons for Switching to Squarespace

We had a wish list and Squarespace was the only one that gave us everything we wanted.

Reviewed on 19/10/2018

Best option for Small Businesses that aren't IT savvy

If you are a small business or a startup trying to get a professional web presence, or an existing company with a horrible website, don't believe the limitations of a decade ago and "pro" web developers and companies that create websites for you for a large sum of money with continuing maintenance costs. Website development sites like Squarespace allow for any moderately computer literate individual to create amazing looking professional websites and professional emails with little hassle. You don't need an IT department or a website developer, and honestly, your site will look better than many I've had created by corporate webdevs. The trick is that sites like Squarespace use templates that you choose and customize with your own content. The con is, while there are tons of options in templates, what you see is what you get and you can really only customize content and minor aesthetics like font, pages, color schemes, pictures, etc. However, the templates are gorgeous and modern designed sites that will make your website look cutting edge.
I've used several competitors, and while Wix is probably my next favorite due to customization, Squarespace is leagues better than any other site developer I've used, including Weebly, Wordpress, GoDaddy, Wix, etc. It is just so simple and the templates, while probably the least customization, are the prettiest ones available that add a professional touch you can't replicate in something like Wix. No IT, no problem.

Pros

Ease of use is unparalleled.
Templates are aesthetically unmatched by competitors- it's not even close.
The ability to switch between templates whenever you want is amazing.
Very professional feel to website with seamless G Suite integration.
Cost is very competitive.
Mobile optimized websites are lightyears beyond GoDaddy and Wix.

Cons

The templates are amazing, and there are a lot of choices, but if you don't like the options, you are stuck with what they have. Customizing is very limited within the Template framework, unlike Wix.
In order to be glitch-free and mobile optimized, the templates have very little customization.

Mimi

Reviewed on 14/04/2020

Allows anyone to be a professional, easily

Overall, I am pleased with Squarespace. I think it is the most professional website builder out there. However, its price point and its inconsistencies hinder it from getting a 10/10 on my end.

Pros

I like how easy to customize and use Squarespace is and always has been. Especially with their latest version release, site building has become more customizable than ever. Their templates also serve as awesome inspiration. Customer service is also quick, friendly, and efficient.

Cons

There are some inconsistencies across templates and versions. Things like adding a caption to galleries or password protecting a portfolio page - which you'd think would be options, based on previous templates or other modules/page types, are not available across the board. This is frustrating when you're building a site with a specific vision in mind, but you can't achieve those results. CX associates have also told me that there are 'bugs' that are being sent to tech teams, however they can't provide updates on ETA's for fixes. It has been a month since I was told that, still no fix. It's not a good look to have such a tech-forward company fail on promises or updates to users on bugs, or elements that are prohibiting from utilizing the platform in the ways expected. Squarespace is also quite pricey compared to its competitors.

Reasons for Choosing Squarespace

Wanted something more professional.

• Industry: Internet

Reviewed on 20/02/2021

When minimalism was a luxury

I trully believe SS is being hold hostage by its once glorious minimalist phyloshophy and streamlined way of doing things. Their templates all look the same now.

Pros

Squarespace helped us develop good looking and fuctional website in no time, with outstanding streamlined interface and ease of use with minimalism in mind. + Premium fonts.

Cons

In my personal opinion, I think SS is lost with its minimalist phyloshopy and streamlined way of doing things. It was good a couple of years back when it was the only kid in town but websites have developed so much that the need for robust features and fuctionality is more a necessity than a commodity now. They just released their extension feature but it consist of no more than a few addons.

Shopify

OpenCart and Adobe Commerce

Reviewed on 06/05/2021

Nice software, but fragile and randomly freezes or glitches

Overall it’s a pretty good experience. Although there are glitches and times when it simply freezes for no apparent reason . This can be infuriating, especially after writing a lot of content, and it will not save or update the text (we pay for the gigablast fastest business internet our ISP sells).

Sometimes it will save an old draft, not the current one, this makes me want to scream. Sometimes it will delete things I don’t want it to accidentally I’m not sure what the problem is, there needs to be a general undo button. Something that can protect you if the website is glitching or acting nuts..

Pros

The stylish look of the fonts and web design. The styles look professional enough, the competitors looked too childlike or complicated to setup.

I also like that you can do most of the editing from the app, not just the laptop.

Cons

What concerns me about this software, is the lack of ownership over all the work put into the website. Software companies these days are becoming political and illogical at times. Although my team and company doesn’t deal with anything political like that, it’s in the back of our mind’s that eventually we will need to break off from Squarespace because they have too much power over our website and servers.

All it takes is one new CEO who is ‘Woke’ or a Twitter tweet with no accountability or responsibility, to blow up and a company’s online presence can be severely compromised.

Like I said what we do is not even controversial, but We have seen from other marketing firms, weird issues like that concerning square space and competitors.

So as time goes on and we become more profitable, the goal is to eventually break away from Square space over lack of control over our own website and servers.

Anna
Anna
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Reviewed on 05/08/2022

Beautiful websites!

Pros

Before switching from Wordpress to something more contemporary, I thoroughly researched the offerings, and a lot of website-building platforms seemed to have little difference between them. But I trialed most of market leaders every since, and I can surely say, squarespace websites are the prettiest. For businesses that rely heavily on the visual element of their marketing, that is super important. And the recent update (the possibility to overlap blocks and place them anywhere on the grid, regardless of the page structure) is an absolute game-changer, and I am totally in love.

Cons

The only thing that I am not entirely satisfied is how Squarespace approaches multi-language websites - I had to turn to a third-party plugin. It is not a deal breaker for me, but it was just strange not to offer this in the first place.

• Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Reviewed on 30/11/2020

Extremely easy to use but expensive

Pros

1) We can easily select the fonts and colors of the site from the side menu so that when you select the h1 or h2 it directly applies that heading structure and design.

2) Very clean. By this I meant to say that every option is properly differentiated and well defined.

3) The easy integration of the site with Google Drive creating a google sheet is very much appreciated.

4) The website is by default responsive and that is really helpful when you are just starting out building a website.

5) I have never ran into a problem where I need to get contacted with the customer care as the options on the site are pretty much self explanatory.

6) There are no pop ups or any things that distracts you while creating the website.

7) I have started learning the website building when there was some offer to use the premium feature for 15 days. I thought that after 15 days I will leave the site and will check out another website building services but I stuck to this site after that as the ease of use is too good and the features are easy to understand.

8) There are no hidden charges unless you yourself purchase any add on premium services and everything goes smooth.

Cons

1) There is not smart alignment feature in this website building engine.

2) The price of the basic website is too much in comparison of the other website building engines.

3) Here one needs to have the structure ready before hand designing the website as it goes step by step as changing the site fonts and color will be challenging if not decided earlier.

4) The premium email with the G-Suite feature is too expensive then other service providers. Also the advanced analytics are not provided in the personal plan.