Submittable Reviews

4.7

4.7

About Submittable

Submittable powers you with tools to launch, manage, measure, and grow your social impact programs, locally and globally. From employee giving, volunteering, and corporate social responsibility programs to grants, awards and...

Browse Submittable Reviews

Chila
Chila

Reviewed on 05/10/2017

Submittable has made our publishing experience enjoyable, rather than laborious.

Pros

Its ease of use makes it a joy to work with: it's a clearinghouse, a reply tool, and an organizational tool all in one.

Cons

As it has in the past two years, I'm sure it will continue to improve it's functionality in a few of its features. For example, I'd like our readers/editors to be able to receive submissions immediately instead of me having to assign everything, but remain on a blind level, and also not be able to decline the work, just leave notes as they currently can.

Cierra
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Reviewed on 20/09/2022

Submittable for Regranting Programs

Generally, I really like it! It definitely makes my job easier and is a very organized space for me to keep track of hundreds of artists and their information .

Pros

As an administer of grant funding to artists, this software works great for tracking, reporting and collecting data from artists who apply to our programs.

Cons

A lot of the times I'm unable to edit the content if needed when an application is live already. Which is understandable however. I have to duplicate and make additional forms which takes longer. It's also hard to assign team members or jurors and help them use the software when I can only see it from an admin's point of view so it's hard to let them know how to navigate the software.

Google Forms

Reasons for Switching to Submittable

I was trained on the software when I started the job. Previous coworkers had already been using the product.
Sydney

Reviewed on 22/09/2022

Submittable is user-friendly, but only for applicants.

Pros

The product is easy for applicants to use, with simple forms and clear application guidelines. Generally, we have had many applicants have no issues while applying, which is definitely a positive about the platform.

Cons

For administrative staff who work grant programs on the back-end, features such as advanced reporting are sorely lacking. It's difficult to build these reports and pull through the data you need. Additionally, there are many small issues that Submittable merely provides "work-arounds" for, rather than solving problems. For example - tables that are put directly into an application form export as a separate file, and then would need to be merged in order to package applications. While the platform might make the process of applying smooth for applicants, there seem to always be headaches for our staff when processing applications afterwards.

Response from Submittable

Thanks for your feedback. We're always working to improve the product, and constantly release new and improved features. Feedback like yours helps us make sure that we're solving our customers problems better and better as time goes on.

Replied 23/09/2022

Top Submittable Alternatives

Brooke
  • Industry: Government Administration

Reviewed on 20/02/2024

Love the Ease of Sumittable

We've loved our experience with the Submittable team. They system and the team continue to impress us.

Pros

Great Customer Service - and ease of the system for both applicant and reviewer are fantastic

Cons

wish they had a more comprehensive CRM - which this is in the beta stage, it doesn't work for us because we do not require our applicants to have a UEI or be a non-profit.

Devon
  • Industry: Philanthropy
  • Used Monthly for 2+ years

Reviewed on 26/04/2022

Submittable: The Go-To Contest Submission Playform

Using Submittable seriously cuts down on the amount of troubleshooting or user error, thereby saving us time.

Pros

Submittable is very easy to use both on the end of the administrator and the individual submitting. People who have used it a lot or are only using it for the first time all express ease at getting their submissions in.

Cons

There are only a limited number of times that you can export your data per month on the basic plan.

Jotform

Reasons for Choosing Submittable

It was becoming onerous and time consuming to accept mailed-in submissions and Submittable was the natural step into the digital world.

Reasons for Switching to Submittable

Submittable is the industry standard; those submitting to our contest are familiar with it and confident in it.
Tanzi
  • Industry: Civic & Social Organization
  • Used Monthly for 1-5 months

Reviewed on 17/03/2021

Great flexibility for building a workflow for grant management

Pros

I like the transparency and the ease with which we were able to implement the software into our grant management procedure. The forms are easy to build, I can create a lot of them to cover the gaps for subsequent applicant communication. We were also able to do blind review to eliminate biases and separate groups of reviewers with different sets of questions.

Cons

1) The number of seats comes expensive. As a charity, we have a pool of scientific volunteers who give back to the community by reviewing grants with us. But with the limited number of seats, we had to narrow down the pool to the bare minimum and restructure the whole review process in order to fit in our tight budgets.
2) There isn't an open API available for us to integrate into our mobile app. There is only a read-only API that we were able to connect to but it gives limited connectivity and doesn't allow us to sync the internal grant management process with external-facing community commitments.

Good Grants and SurveyMonkey

Reasons for Choosing Submittable

Automation and follow-up with the applicants wasn't possible in our previously used software.

Reasons for Switching to Submittable

High level of review and submission automation, user-friendly interface, no need for coding background in order to use the features we need
Sotto
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Reviewed on 15/11/2023

It Changes The Way I Do Things

Awesome. Very helpful, easy to use. Simple and straight forward interface. It saves a lot of my time and really help me organize my submissions, and the best of all, which I didn't expect to find, is the plethora of contests I didn't find anywhere else (or it will take me a lot of time to find).

Pros

I wish I found Submittable earlier. I used to look for writing competitions through google and other search engines. The problem is they are sometimes outdated, inaccurate and very limited search result. I also have tons of bookmarks to help me remember which competitions I sent them too. When I submit a lot, I lost count and all I did was just wait for emails that inform me about the results.

I found Submittable when some of the contests required me to use Submittable. It became a delight because the interface is very use friendly and I started to explore more, and I was in for pleasant surprises.

I like the way it organizes my contests, I no longer forget which and where I submit them to, and the great thing is I'm also able to track the feedbacks for those contests instead of rummaging through my emails about forgotten or non-existent results.

But the best thing is I can find way more contests through Submittable, and filter them the way I want to, from entry fees to genres. It saves a lot of time and effort and there are tons of contests.

Cons

None so far.
I haven't had chance to explore other functions like creating my forms, but from what I use Submittable for, everything is satisfactory. It's an apps that does what it promises and more.

Maggie

Reviewed on 28/07/2023

Seamless use for admins and applicants

Being able to keep all program data in one place has proven the investment into Submittable time and again. I rarely need to reach out to customer service to solve problems because of how easy the product is to use.

Pros

Implementing this product was simple. It makes it seamless to use on the administrative end, and rarely do applicants have questions when applying. Having all data and messaging in one place is especially important so that multiple admins can access this easily.

Cons

Changing information on forms can be improved. It would help to have a 'Hide Question' option so we can take out a question yet retain the data from past applicants without deleting the question and answer entirely.

Angel

Reviewed on 28/07/2023

Submittable is a staple for me.

I have used Submittable for years. It has never let me down.

Pros

The flexibility. I've used Submittable for so many different types of projects from manuscript submissions to personnel data to event applications, and so much more. You can create any kind of form you want and track the data.

Cons

There is a learning curve, but Submittable offers great help.

ariella

Reviewed on 16/07/2023

Grant Management is a breeze!

Pros

We were nervous about starting this grant program because of the intensity of the management process. Submittable makes gathering, reviewing, and managing applicants and grantees easy!

Cons

I do wish there was a way to organize all of the information in Submittable (as is, I have many spreadsheets going simultaneously).

Reviewed on 14/08/2018

Great platform but could work better

In my opinion, user experience and interface matter. Submittable has a clean look that is welcoming to users. It's not a perfect platform and we've had to work around it. The team is very responsive, however, and seems open to improving their product. If only they could move a bit faster.

Pros

Submittable is easy to use and intuitive. With drag-and-drop options, creating an application takes minutes. Logic branching also helps when you want to gather more info based on an applicant's response. The file upload features are also very helpful.

Once your application is live, you can track and label applications as they come in. This is helpful since a quick perusal of an application can determine eligibility. One quick label and you can filter it out during the full review process.

The reviewer portal is equally intuitive. With side-by-side views, your reviewers can read and answer questions or rate the application without having to switch screens. You can also set certain application fields (such as name, gender, etc.) to blind so that there is no bias based on these questions.

Overall, Submittable is a great application portal and get your money's worth.

Cons

Recommendation letter request emails don't get sent out until AFTER the applicant submit their application. This is fine in most cases but you do have to offer a small grace period to recommenders. It would be great if applicants can enter a recommender and hit a button "Request Letter."

The forms can also become rather long if you have a lot of questions. It could affect completion rates.

Finally, just as you are able to remind reference letter writers through the portal, it would be great to be able to remind those with incomplete application about the upcoming deadline. Right now, you can request a list of incomplete applications but you only get name and email addresses. It would be good to see some of the data that the applicants have completed so far.

Donna

Reviewed on 05/10/2017

Not entirely intuitive, but doable for digital immigrants. "Chat" folks are responsive &...

Ease of receiving submissions, as opposed to the manual email system we had in place. Also the ability to link donations as an option when paying. It's a timesaver in processing submissions that allows us to get right to the content, rather than shuffling emails back and forth to our editors.

Pros

It works VERY well for receiving, tracking, reviewing literary submissions. So organized. Helps our statewide editorial team stay connected for working and communicating. Tutorial and articles are helpful tools when setting this up.

Cons

"Up ad running in 15 minutes"? Not likely. Big down side, is that it is EXPENSIVE for non profits, despite the discount. Monthly plans ding you bigtime for signer and submission allotments. We use Premium plan, the next step up is a GIANT leap up in price but also benefits. But we cannot afford that. I would like to see a product for bonafide all-volunteer non-profits with small budgets. Arts organziations are struggling these days.

Reviewed on 06/12/2017

This is everything we could have hoped to help keep our submissions on track and organized.

The only glitch I've had was when the "status" column was not working, but after contacting your service representatives, the problem was fixed within 24 hours. But that's not really a con, more a pro I guess.

Pros

As an editor, it keeps the entire process of submissions very organized. The ability to archive and track all the submissions that come through here, along with all the automatic data in graph form that Submittable contributes in regards to either our regular day to day submissions or our annual competition, is everything we want it to be. Not to mention that there are numerous places which one can tuck notes about this or that author whose work is on track to be published by us. In addition, allowing the person whose work we're considering to leave notes for us about their submission should parts of it be accepted elsewhere, is a huge bonus for any editor.

Kelly

Reviewed on 01/02/2023

Robust workflow,

Quick response and helpful for the most part. I have heard of a few colleagues across the org, not as lucky in getting timely responses and help on their forms. As noted above, poor communication in some cases.

Pros

The robust workflow and ease of creating and editing/adjusting the application form are the best feature from our perspective. Little to no need for in-house IT support.

Cons

Reporting (exporting applicant/form data) is not intuitive but fudgeable. I've grdaully learned to make it work... kind of.We also have several separate Submittable contracts across our org, but we have not been bundled to provide greater cost savings across our groups as would seem more than fair considering the amount of business we give this platform. Also, I've heard from other colleagues that the account manger tends to change frequently, sometime with no notice or handoff.

Rebecca
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Reviewed on 08/01/2020

Incredible Software for anyone!

Incredible. Again, this software is incredibly easy to use and the features it provides help up tremendously.

Pros

It is easy to use, and if anything happens that we are unsure about, the support team replies quickly and provides incredible instructions!

Cons

There is nothing that I dislike about Submittable.

Garth
  • Industry: Banking

Reviewed on 13/02/2023

Easy for Everyone to Use

It is a great platform that is easy to use on the front and back end.

Pros

Applicants with low-tech/computer experience can use it. Works well on all types of devices (even an old iMac).

Cons

As a grant manager, I want to be able to view more details regarding Draft Applications submitted by applicants, so that I can provide better technical assistance. At least, it would be good to be able to view the names of applicants in the draft applications report or be able to filter by city or zip code. Also, I wish that in the main application view you could filter by address- This would be very helpful.

TJ

Reviewed on 25/07/2019

Easy submissions

Being to able to track the progress of multiple submissions is worth the cost.

Pros

Tracking the progress of my submissions is amazing. Everything is there and I don't have to chart it on a separate document.

Cons

The existential angst of a submission "in progress."

Jim
  • Used for 6-12 months

Reviewed on 15/05/2017

The perfect online contest platform for One Montana's statewide business pitch contest for...

Pros

We found it very easy to adapt/program Submittable to fit our specific needs. With the extensive online help library and a quick-response technical support team, answers to our questions were never more than a few minutes away. Additionally, neither those high school students who submitted entries to our business pitch contest nor our panel of judges who used an online rubric to evaluate submissions reported any difficulties.

Outstanding attentiveness to our contest timeline... When a couple students figured out that an email verification flaw existed with the Gallery View/Public Voting feature, they were able to submit hundreds of phony votes for their entry. As soon as the good folks at Submittable were alerted to the problem, they worked quickly (during the peak Christmas holiday season) to create a validation protocol that got voting for our Peoples' Choice Award back on track. We applaud the Submittable team for their effort on our behalf.

Response from Submittable

Thanks, Jim. We love hearing the word 'perfect' from our partners!

Replied 25/07/2017
  • Industry: Philanthropy

Reviewed on 17/03/2021

Intuitive software

From the onboarding team to my account team, I think the service with submittable has been great. It's also easy for the submitter to understand the process as well.

Pros

This software is easy to understand, easy to deploy, and intuitive for guest users who help us to evaluate the submissions that we receive. From there, it's easy to filter, sort, review and revisit the applicants that have made submissions, and keep track of where they are at each stage of the process.

There are so many functionalities that are useful and I'm certain I'm only using a small portion of all that's available! I highly recommend this software as a solution for tracking submissions!

Cons

Everything that I've experienced with submittable has been a plus.

Samantha
  • Industry: Renewables & Environment

Reviewed on 26/04/2022

Submittable for Renewable Energy

The people are super helpful and the onboarding experience.

Pros

This product is really easy to use and is super intuitive. The reporting feature has made it so much easier for our external reporting process.

Cons

There are a few features that are lacking. We wish there was a way to weight the scores/questions. It would also be nice if the people who are writing the letter of reference could actually see the application.

Kim

Reviewed on 06/12/2017

Very usable helps our work flow so much! We love Submittable :)

Pros

Helps us organizationally and is a fundamental part of our business. Easy to use and intuitive, we also have a lot of people on our team using it as well.

Cons

Sometimes the speed lags from page to page or it updates slowly. Usually it works really well but occasionally it slows down and slows the word day down.

Amy
  • Used for 2+ years

Reviewed on 19/04/2018

Submittable has been a lifesaver for our photo competition!

Enabled me to administer an international photo competition virtually on my own.

Pros

I appreciate the back-end tools that allow so much flexibility for reviews, judging, and organizing. Not only can I easily sort entries and entrants, I can download all their data for reporting and further contact. And the pricing structure allows me to use the software only when I need it, but still have access to all the archived data and photos.

Cons

I used the Gallery View feature for the first time last year and would like to see continued improvement in its user interface. Opening a new account is a barrier to lots of users, and I'd like to see it simplified so more people will participate in voting.

Kristin

Reviewed on 02/05/2022

Submittable review

For our initial needs, it works great, but it is expensive for what we do with it.

Pros

I started it three years ago, and it is very user-friendly. Has helped our group grant, review team.

Cons

For what we use it for (3 grants) it is very expensive.

• Industry: Writing & Editing
  • Used for 2+ years

Reviewed on 05/02/2019

Online Submissions Are the Future

Many publishers use Submittable as a way to accept manuscript queries or submissions. There are several advantages to the author. Once you have an account, you can access all of your submissions. That makes it easier to find things again, versus e-mail submissions. And it's faster and cheaper than submitting through the mail, which many publishers don't even accept anymore.

Pros

When submitting queries or manuscripts to publishers, this is a relatively fast and easy method. Because the publisher sets up the fields they want, it's easy to know what you need to include, and where to put it.

Cons

The text windows are small, so when you paste in large blocks of text, you have to scroll to double check or change things.

Evelyn

Reviewed on 09/12/2017

Submittable allows us to handle all of our calls for submission in a logical, efficient manner.

All the information needed about a submission is in one place. The ability to run multiple calls at the same time is wonderful.

Pros

It's easy to use with a minimal learning curve, and has good customization. It allows you to tailor auto responses, email the submitter, and comment all in one place. everything you need to make a decision is there, and you can archive for easy retrieval.

Cons

Tags could be expanded to include all book genres to enhance the calls for submissions when setting up a category (form). Wish they left forms named as categories, it made more sense, the terminology change from category to forms is confusing.