About Box

Clinical research data, loan applications, blueprints, and videos: It’s all content. And it’s your organization’s most valuable asset, no matter your industry. Box gives you a a single, secure platform for managing the entire...

4.2

Browse Box Reviews

Gabor
  • Used Monthly for 2+ years

Reviewed on 10/06/2022

Easiest to use file sharing software

Used it many times and it was super easy. Worked all the time.

Pros

Very easy to integrate with email client to send large files and to otherwise share files.

Cons

No data if the files are encrypted or not.

Dropbox Business and Google Drive

Reasons for Choosing Box

Dropbox is expensive and not as stable as Box, also more compliacated.

Reasons for Switching to Box

Box was the simplest to use and integrate with the email client.

Reviewed on 07/07/2022

The best online file storage and sharing tool.

The Box application makes it easy for us and allows us to have access to all our stored data anytime and anywhere.

Pros

Box offers excellent quality file storage, management and synchronization services, in addition it is to use.

Cons

The application sometimes encounters some synchronization bugs with some android phones version 9.0

MEGA

Reasons for Switching to Box

Box is very reliable, secure and easy to use. I recommend
Susan
  • Industry: Environmental Services

Reviewed on 26/07/2022

Good product but support is very limited beyond routine problems

Box would be an excellent product if it worked reliably on all platforms. Ignoring a user for whom it is not working just because they are the only person in the organisation reporting problems is not good support. If this is happening for one person (the most recent recruit who uses a Macbook) it could extend to others who join in the future and use the same platform. Furthermore other Mac users have avoided using Box Drive because of incompatibility with their hardware and are therefore relying on the less functional Box Sync. I would hesitate to recommend Box to Mac users.

Pros

It's easy to understand if you've used Dropbox before.

Cons

I am a Macbook user and since I started using Box I have had consistent problems with files not synching. I don't mean temporary delays, I mean NEVER synching at all. This affects my ability to work with my colleagues. Despite first line Box support saying they would refer the problem to a product expert, there has been NO response for 4 weeks despite frequent reminders. Box's stated approach to customer support is to attach no priority whatsoever to problems that only affect one user. That certainly reflects their attitude to me. There has been no attempt whatsoever to investigate why this problem is occurring or how it might be resolved. This is very disappointing.

Top Box Alternatives

Alejandro
  • Industry: Oil & Energy

Reviewed on 29/04/2022

BOX, a good alternative for secure cloud storage

My experience with Box has only been in the company where I provided my services, I have not used it as a freelancer, since there are other services that do the same, for a lower price or even free. In this company, the Box service was used a lot to store all the files of the projects we worked on and since it was confidential information, a cloud storage service that met the highest security standards was required. the integration with MS Office was very helpful, since the work experience was like the one you have with OneDrive.

Pros

What I liked the most when using box was its security, in addition to its integration with MS Office, which makes it an alternative to Onedrive. I also like that from the Business plan the storage is unlimited.

Cons

Like any cloud storage service, its main disadvantage is the price, although for a medium or large company this does not mean an expense, for a small company that is just starting out, paying a monthly fee can be a considerable expense.
The little free storage also means that better options are found for someone who is just starting out, of course leaving security aside.

Moses
  • Industry: Farming

Reviewed on 12/06/2022

Easy and orderly cloud Storage App.

I keep my pictures and videos for important life events.

Pros

I like the user-friendly dashboard.
The syncing speed is satisfactory.
Categorizing of files is also easy.

Cons

It has relatively been an unshaken brand of cloud application from and I don't see any challenges so far.

• Industry: Insurance

Reviewed on 08/07/2022

Good File Storage

Very positive, automated folder creation which saves a lot of time

Pros

Easy to set up and modify. SDK can do quite a bit. Sharing works well.

Cons

SDK can't handle some requests so will need to use API which is not a significant problem, will just need a bit more dev work.

Automated folder creation

Reasons for Switching to Box

SDK kit was quite useful
Gabriel
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

Reviewed on 18/07/2022

Exceptional product

I am simply seduced by its quality and price ratio. Box offers a multitude of very professional services at an affordable cost.

Pros

Simple, intuitive, easy to use, offers ultra secure connectivity and data transfer. Box also offers a very good value for money.

Cons

No difficulties encountered for the moment. The services provided by Box are as good as the features available.

Marie Jeanne
  • Industry: Internet

Reviewed on 02/08/2022

Box is the best tool

Box allowed me to better keep my data and files safe.

Pros

What I liked about this software is that security is guaranteed.

Cons

What I liked least is its implausible interface.

Dropbox Business, Megaventory and Google Drive

Reasons for Switching to Box

I chose box because it is reassuring.
Romain

Reviewed on 26/06/2022

Excellent

Pros

Box is easy to use, allows you to store and share files easily.

Cons

For my part I find that file sharing is quite difficult. But on the whole it's ok.

Muhammad Akash
  • Industry: Writing & Editing
  • Used Weekly for Free Trial

Reviewed on 24/06/2022

Box

it was good

Pros

It is a very good tool to store, share and access data.
Its free version is available.

Cons

This software is comparatively expensive in price ranges to its other competing tools

Oscar

Reviewed on 19/07/2022

It is comfortable to work collaboratively in Box

Box was born as a solution in my organization since before files were managed locally with internal servers where employees who are outside the workplace who want to access have to resort to a VPN and a type of access to the platform where they are. company files such as photos of properties for sale, rentals, sales made and other confidential files. With Box it has been possible to solve this problem of long-distance access since it only requires the employee's email to add it to the cloud and he can access it without any problem with established permissions and without requiring any type of VPN or protocol to be able to to access. It was also a good choice for this file manager in the cloud due to its plans since it is cheaper to have a certain number of box storage than to purchase physical storage with its respective backup, this greatly improves the return on investment for the organization.

Pros

Box has been the best, most intuitive and complete cloud file storage that can be had within the company where I work . I like the security that it has because that way I can protect the privacy of sensitive company files without compromising confidentiality. Its interface has reached a minimalist style that make Box seem like a simple file manager that comes with Windows, but in this case it's in the cloud. I think the feature of being able to grant access or no to all files is great, this being able to maintain better security when sharing and collaborating within Box. The dark mode allows me to have a more comfortable workflow because I am one of the people who spends a lot of time in front of the monitor and this is a great help for my eyes. I can easily work in collaborative mode and kow who made changes to the file or folder, this make it easier when it comes to projects in wich a team needs to consult or edit files without resorting to other archaic means of sharing information.

Cons

I really like most of the features of this platform but I have small drawbacks compared to some that do not harm the user experience or functionality as much. However, I would like the to improve those aspects because Box would be much more complete and attractive. Among the aspects that I want to improve is the preview of the files, for example I am intereted in certain files to verify information such as a photograph and verify that everything is fine without having to open the file, because in Box it is like blurry to see the preview and I have to open the file directly to check. Another problem that I have presented several times is that when I work with my team on a file or folder and we make changes simultaneously to maximize the workflow, there is no indication when someones is editing a document at the same time, creating several versions of the edition and turning everything into chaos.

Kavya
  • Industry: Research

Reviewed on 14/01/2022

Probably my most used file management software

I've used this while working with a team at a startup and in graduate school now. Highly recommend for both collaboration as well as backing up document and cloud storage.

Pros

Box Sync is the first thing I'd recommend if you don't have that already. It sets up a folder on your local computer that you can treat as a folder just like 'Documents' and it syncs automatically when you're connected to wifi. I also like using Box Sync with Mendeley (reference manager) because it syncs all the docs in Mendeley into a single location on Box, which is great. I can make notes in the PDFs and it syncs into Mendeley so that I can see my comments there as well. The version control has saved my many times because every time you create a new version or save a document, it holds onto old versions. This way if you accidentally overwrite something, you can usually go back into Box online, look at previous versions, and restore the right one. It's also easy to use and isn't finicky like many software.

Cons

Unlike most of my software reviews, I don't have much to say for cons.

Reasons for Switching to Box

Box seems to have better version control and seems safer to use. You can create custom share links and get notified when your collaborator has accepted the request to collaborate.
Alhassan
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Reviewed on 19/07/2021

Box is the perfect all-round solution for all file management needs

I initially struggled to get used to their folder structures and access controls and preferred to assimilate and integrate them into the existing product I was already using. But after insistence from the team, I was forced to learn and adapt to Box. After a few days however, I started to get the hang of things and ended up using it just as much as I did my original product. I also find it more suited for smaller project teams than the alternative I was already used to.

Pros

Real time file syncing across all linked devices and accounts is truly amazing. It makes team collaboration in these times of remote working extremely efficient. And we no longer have to keep transferring documents to and fro as email attachments, which is not as secure. The comprehensive audit trail records also makes backtracking and management of unauthorized access and activity very simple.

Cons

Setting different access privileges for individual team members with access to shared folders can be a bit confusing. The process could be made a lot simpler with a tabular entries with individual columns dedicated to each access level.

Reasons for Choosing Box

New project team I was consulting for held a Box subscription, so I had to migrate.

Reasons for Switching to Box

At the time of my initial use, I had preferred staying with my original product since it was what I was used to. But the management of the project I was consulting on insisted.

Reviewed on 14/06/2021

Excellent document storage & management

Box empowered us to build a robust document repository that makes it simple for anyone on our team to find the files they're looking for.

Pros

Box has made our lives a million times easier by empowering us to store, organize, and share files of all types. We save our company assets, photos, Microsoft Word/Powerpoint/Excel docs, PDFs, etc in various folders. We love the ability to tag files so we can find them easily. The document sharing features are excellent. I especially like the preview feature (it's much better than Google Drive's preview option).

Cons

My biggest complaint about Box isn't Box's fault – it's my company's settings. My company chose to have shared file links expire after about 30 days, which is a pain in the neck sometimes.

Reasons for Choosing Box

Box has a superior interface for storing & previewing non-Google files (ex. Microsoft Powerpoints).

Dropbox Business and Google Drive

Reasons for Switching to Box

Box was superior in how files were stored & shared.
Ali

Reviewed on 07/03/2021

Transfer and share files easily and securely in the cloud

One of the first options in transferring our files and offering in the list of required and recommended items to companies and organizations that we consult. If you have different meetings and need different files in the meetings, safely create a secure cloud space of your files in the box because one day it will come in handy. Having a backup on the secure cloud storage is always life-saving, and experience has shown that floppy disks, CDs, and flash drives and computer headers are not enough for a successful business.

Pros

I like the simplicity and good features and the appropriate speed of Box platform, you can easily transfer files from any device to the cloud storage space of the box. I like its speed and security, you will not feel any strangeness with the software. E-Signature make it more secure and Integration with lot of apps is wonderful. The cost and price is very reasonable and economical compared to the many features it provides to the user.‌ Data Loss Protection is great.

Cons

The graphic design of the dashboard should be simpler and more tangible and can be changed to the liking of the admin, Also a feature in the dashboard should be added to display the status of shared files and folders, and the latest status of views and downloads to be clearly and simply visible to the admin.

Hightail and DocSend

Reasons for Choosing Box

We were looking for more features and less cost to store information

Reasons for Switching to Box

Having a powerful and secure tool with modern features and at the same time easy to use for storing Documents and data in the cloud with affordable price
  • Industry: Publishing

Reviewed on 27/02/2021

Can't imagine running our business without Box

We used Dropbox for a number of years, and we found it very "fragile". Without good access to different levels of security for our team, we would often find files deleted or overwritten by inexperienced employees. Once, an employee using Dropbox's desktop app accidentally deleted our entire list of files and Dropbox had to restore (taking several days). That was the straw that broke the camel's back, so we switched to Box and haven't looked back. It's secure, solid, excellent uptime, and does everything we need and more. Our company stores mission-critical contracts, source files, and other material, and it's locked down only to the appropriate users. We have nearly 7 TB of files from our company's history stored with Box and I sleep great at night knowing they're safe and secure.

Pros

The access levels for intra-company sharing are very granular, allowing us the ability to protect privileged information,

Cons

It's hard to be critical of this tool. Some of the features we never use (notes, for example) seem a little clunky, but I understand they're improving. Those are all secondary, however. The main product itself is unbeatable.

• Industry: Translation & Localization

Reviewed on 12/01/2021

Good Free Version but expensive Business options

Storing documents in the cloud as a back-up solution, sharing documents with collaborators and clients.

Pros

Uploads and downloads are fast, sharing files or folders is easy, as an editor or viewer, and it is easy to use.

Cons

The Business options are expensive for small businesses since they require you to purchase multiple licenses, not only one. If you get the Individual license you are not GDPR compliant, thus it turns out to be expensive for SMEs.

Dropbox Business and OneDrive

Reasons for Choosing Box

Uploads/Downloads are faster than the Dropbox paid Business Account and you avoid document conflicts you have with Dropbox. BOX is much better in that case.

Reasons for Switching to Box

OneDrive is connected with my Office 365 subscription and I might lose my documents if I switch account. Dropbox has some document conflicts and uploads are extremely slow with DSL.
Kory
  • Industry: Investment Management

Reviewed on 28/09/2020

Collaboration and Document Management at its best

Overall, we have been very happy with our transition to Box. The features provided have exceeded our expectations and there are still more features that we haven't used yet and that are being released on a regular basis. The staff and programming teams have been extremely helpful for the set-up and customization of Box for our needs.

Pros

Box provides an intuitive platform for collaborating and sharing documents with other coworkers, while maintaining significant flexibility on permissions for maintaining security on information as needed. The search functionality and version control have made it easier to find information quickly and helps to eliminate duplication and multiple versions of files. The integration with Office 365 and other service provides have been invaluable in creating efficiencies in our daily workflows. Box's mobile friendly platform makes for simple, yet secure access anywhere when data is needed.

Cons

Box is best used as a web app rather than through the desktop app, Box Drive. When our company started use of Box, we were more familiar with navigation to files through the use of Windows Explorer. Box Drive is Box's app for accessing files through the Explorer. However, Box Drive is slow to update and more difficult to navigate, with more limited features compared to the Web app. Unfortunately, Box Drive still has to be used for certain functions of our work where the web app and/or integrations with our services do not work.

Egnyte
Todd

Reviewed on 12/05/2020

Cloud file services that work like a real file share

I helped roll out this solution to a small (25 users) business almost 3 years ago to replace their local file server. I started using it myself vs. DropBox because the Box Desktop was so perfectly Mac, and I've since rolled it out to three other small businesses as a replacement for local file services they can access anywhere.

When COVID-19 hit, and said clients needed their workers to work from home, the workflow hardly missed a beat, thanks to the fact they can work anywhere just as if they had a local file share on their desktop.

Pros

The Box Desktop app actually works to keep files in the cloud until and unless I'm using them, saving precious disk space on users' systems — unlike an unnamed popular competitor. And on the Mac, it works just like an external disk or mounted file share — right on the desktop, in the proper file hierarchy with no proprietary interface to complicate things, or presume how I want to look at my files.

Cons

Tech support can be slow to respond, as its first tier of support is via their forum and email, and I've waited as long as two days to get a response to an issue for a corporate subscription, and it's painfully apparent that the first tier team is reading straight off of cue cards, because they suggest things to try, even when my previous communication states IN DETAIL that I've already done said thing in my own troubleshooting.

Beef up the support staff, pay better attention to what a customer has already said in their communications, and escalate things to engineering quicker, and they will remedy the one, glaring shortcoming in their service.

Reasons for Choosing Box

In order to make file services fully remote accessible, and avoid issues that DropBox caused, including the disconnect between local resources and cloud resources.

Reasons for Switching to Box

DropBox sync doesn't work reliably, and the cloud only option often breaks and fills up a computer's storage. in addition, DropBox gets in the way of a MacOS Finder interface to splash their own, proprietary interface that attempts to predict what I want to look at. I want to look at a folder tree, in the windows my own computer provides. Box Desktop gives me that.
Kacie

Reviewed on 28/04/2020

Box is secure and can innovate industries from video to medical

I loved using Box for file management and editing. It saved me time and headaches. I only wish that my company had expanded its use and unleashed more of its capabilities.

Pros

Box is the simplest way for me to stay organized, share files with others and ensure that my data is secure. The user experience is easy to understand. It's simple to invite others at a variety of permission levels (somer colleagues to view only, others to download, others to have full editing capability). Syncing on multiple devices is a snap.

But when I attended BoxWorks for training, I realized that one of the best advantages to using Box is the company's relationships with large, high-profile, reputable companies that provide tech integrations. One plug-in takes my raw video footage and auto-generates a searchable log of all dialogue. So I can search for every time an actor says a certain word. The AI even allows me to search for visual cues - one conservation team was able to just search "penguin," and then all their footage from across the world was sorted through in order to allow their video editors to find exactly the footage they needed for their next project.

Box Relay allows you to create workflows with different steps assigned to different teammates. So when you complete your action, the next person is automatically notified that they can begin the next step.

Present state is impressive. But I have a feeling we'll see even greater things to come.

Cons

It took me awhile to think of anything negative to say. The max file size on the more affordable subscription options is perhaps the only drawback I can think of.

Ricky
  • Industry: Pharmaceuticals

Reviewed on 27/04/2020

Robust Cloud Base System

We changed to Box awhile back to move our storage from internal servers to a cloud base system so we could easily access our files from anywhere. It's given us a lot more flexibility as we can work on our files from anywhere with internet access. It encourages us to try to do everything digitally and go green. Box overall is a great product for any business or individual who's looking for cloud storage.

Pros

1. I use the Box Sync feature on a daily basis on my MacBook. Box Sync allows uers to sync folders/files from Box Cloud to your finder so it feels like your just working from finder but it's being backed up the cloud! It's a simple and convenient way for me to access and organize our box files using finder. Our company has a lot of folder/files so I just sync the folders I use the most and I have quick access to my files. Box cloud also has a Box Drive feature which is similar but has one downside which I mention in the Cons section.
2. With Box Sync it's easy to know when your files have been sync to the box cloud with the file icons.
3. Sharing files to internal or external users is simple. Sharing files include a lot of features based on the security levels you want.
4. Another great feature is that it integrates our DocuSign software (e-signatures). I can easily get files signed electronically through Box and not have to log into our DocuSign software. A very convenient feature as I have to get a lot of files signed electronically on a daily basis.
5. Lastly, we basically have unlimited storage!

Cons

1. One con about Box Sync is that it doesn't seamlessly sync files in finder as Box Drive does. There is a slight delay, sometimes a minute or two to sync to the cloud. However, I have to rename a lot of files and I can't just select a file and click "enter/return" on my MacBook to rename files with Box Drive. So I've stuck with box sync for now. But it would be nice if Box Drive would let me rename files easily.
2. I noticed is sometimes when you preview a file it sometimes takes time to load. It's sometimes faster just to open the file to view it which doesn't make sense when a preview should be faster.
3. I noticed is that the name length view is fixed when viewing on the box cloud. Therefore if you have a lot of files in a folder with the same name but different ending, you see all the files with the same name because the end of the filename is truncated. So you aren't easily able to see a specific file other than clicking one the files. At least have a feature where you hover your mouse over the file and it displays the full name of the file or something. It shouldn't require extra clicking just to find your files.
4. It does have a max file size of 5GB

Phoebe
  • Industry: E-Learning

Reviewed on 06/04/2020

Great for Team Accessibility

Box is user-friendly which has allowed my team and I to overcome problems of needless time consumption. Research projects take up a lot of time because of the amount of data that needs to be uploaded and analyzed. However, Box has enabled my team to effectively work together and independently while maintaining the ethical guidelines of research.

Pros

As a tutor and a researcher, I love being able to upload videos of lesson plans and lectures so that my team and those I am working for are able to look back on what I said. Another thing I love about Box is how you can share multiple files with anyone you want and you are able to view who has downloaded something to maintain privacy and confidentiality. Box is especially useful for big groups of people. Everything is extremely accessible and easy to learn how to use. I recommend Box to my colleagues in research who want a safe way of maintaining confidentiality in research projects.

Cons

I do not have any problems with Box so far and I have been using Box for most of my college experience. I have used it for research, tutoring, and collaboration projects.

Travis W.C.
  • Industry: Environmental Services

Reviewed on 25/02/2020

On the Go or From Home

I don't see any reason to change to another product or service, so long as the price remains competetive.

Pros

Box excels at one thing -- making documents accessible from anywhere. This amounts to benefits of efficiency and freedom to work on the go. Being able to access from any machine, particularly on a phone where other services often fail, enhances my ability to address customer's needs.

Cons

There's no indication when a file is open by another user. This has led to multiple users editing a document, and those documents don't merge well or at all, leaving a red exclamation point indicating there's an issue or an alternate file. We've lost some work this way. As a small company, this is manageable with clearer communication between employees, but I foresee this being an issue as we grow.

Reasons for Choosing Box

My company previously had a VPN that was difficult to access from new locations and equipment, was not compatible with different phones/computers, and crashed often. Before that, we used dropbox and google drive, which we still use to a very small degree. Box means I have freedom to work effectively from wherever I choose.

Google Drive

Reasons for Switching to Box

We considered enhancing our storage with DropBox. Ultimately we liked the interface and accessibility of Box which seemed to have faster upload/download speeds and added features like Box Notes.
Hayley
  • Industry: Entertainment

Reviewed on 22/02/2020

My Life Saver

Amazing. Box has helped transform my organization into a fully functioning team. We use this ALL the time. Any questions? Look on Box.

Pros

Box is honestly one of the greatest organizational tools out there. I use Box several times a day for all of my documents. Box has all major servers (Word, Excel, Notes, ect.) and you can upload anything to it! It also updates with real time and allows several viewers/editors at a time. This has been a MUST during executive meetings. We can also upload any music, video or picture files to share, which is essential for our industry. The ability to make several folders and organize data well is the key to using Box. I have almost transitioned out of using Google Docs completely.

Cons

Honestly, the only issue I have with box is sometimes there are loading issues when working on a file with the desktop. Also I can't find a way to delete old files that have been shared with another person that I don't want anymore.

Narasimhan (Nari)
  • Industry: Research
  • Used Monthly for 2+ years

Reviewed on 03/12/2019

Excellent enterprise class cloud storage and workflow integration software

Mostly it is a very stable and secure cloud backup tool, great for workflow and content management in groups.

Pros

I used it and introduced it to my research group when I was in grad school few years back. We also ended up getting a larger size account to fit our needs. University purchasing handled the financial side of it, but I'd like to think our recommendations for enteprise scale buys were taken heed.
BoxSync when used in conjuction with a box account does a great job of doing automatic backups on the cloud, that also help in access from different computers/collaborators simple.
It can handle large file sizes (5 GB file upload limit) for most work, has excellent integration with word processing for online document editing. Note, I have not tried very large single file uploads yet, the largest has been a movie file of 750 MB.
Recently they added notes feature which is useful for commenting while sharing files.

Cons

I dont know if they ever had a referral program unlike dropbox. No other major drawbacks as a user. By default, it sends a lot of emails whenever anything is changed in the folders. turning off that feature took a while to figure out for me.

OneDrive and Google Drive

Reasons for Choosing Box

Dropbox wasnt giving enough space for the cost back then. Hence we switched to Box.

Dropbox Paper