Thinkific Reviews

About Thinkific

Thinkific is a versatile and comprehensive online course platform designed for entrepreneurs and educators. It excels in offering an array of features for course creation, marketing, and sales. Users can build personalized,...

4.2
4.2

Browse Thinkific Reviews

Jeremy
Jeremy
  • Industry: Media Production

Reviewed on 08/12/2021

Fun and Flexible Course Platform

I found Thinkific to be very satisfying. I had everything I needed to launch a single course on the free plan (one free single course), but I was looking for a fully-integrate funnel solution, so I went with a competitor that had that feature. But this will be very good for most users.

Pros

It is very easy to get up and running with Thinkific. The course templates are a breeze to edit; users can easily see how to add and edit content, and the presentation is slick and professional.

Cons

Thinkific does not have an integrated email marketing feature, but users can connect MailChimp, et al., with Zapier. The design templates look okay until the user starts to change fonts and adds more content, then they start to look like a Wordpress template. Not bad, but not slick.

Teachable, Systeme.io and Kajabi

Reasons for Switching to Thinkific

Teachable takes too big a cut from sales, while Kajabi is very expensive.
Yadah
  • Used for 6-12 months

Reviewed on 26/04/2021

Beautiful Course Platform for Online Education

A stunning product which I would have been happy to use (even with all the workarounds for certificates, email and quizzes). The support is quick with responses and the tutorials provided really are next-level amazing. A consistent and impressive LMS.

Pros

This is an absolutely beautiful platform. Thinkific has been in the elearning industry for years and it shows - the portal is easy to navigate and set up courses. The tutorials section is robust and detailed, giving step-by-step information on how to set up various course features and troubleshoot any issues that may come up. There is the ability to issue certificates of completion, add an assignment section for students to upload their work, basic quiz functionality, drip-scheduling as well as compulsory lessons which need to be completed before the student can move on. The lessons can consist of videos, text, PDF's (which can be downloadable or not), or quizzes. You can embed videos and links from other sites too. The course analytics allow you to see how much of a course/lesson was completed before a student drops off, giving valuable insight which enables the course creator to edit and adapt the courses to make them more engaging for the students. There is also a 'community' feature which gives students the chance to chat and give/feedback away from an external site (like a Facebook group). Thinkific does not take any of the course fees and allows the course creator to keep 100% of the profits earned. There is also a free version which has a lot of features included.

Cons

The certificates are quite basic and it's necessary to be design-savvy and tech-savvy to create a certificate which would be accepted in the upload process. The quizzes are very basic and do not support time-limits, limited retries or anything more robust than true/false or multiple choice. Should you want to integrate with a more robust quiz software, their native integrative party is quite pricey! There is no built-in email functionality aside from the notifications that can be sent to existing students. As email is becoming more popular among other learning management systems this is quite a big negative point against them. The option to whitelabel the site completely is only available on the 'Growth' plan which over and above the 'Pro' plan which is already $99.

Ruzuku, Podia, Kajabi and LearnWorlds

Reasons for Choosing Thinkific

Option to do upsells and order bumps with Thinkific. Option for assignment uploads for students. All-round more robust LMS.

Teachable

Reasons for Switching to Thinkific

Value for money and number of features offered. It's an established product with years of market research and expertise.
Mitch

Reviewed on 08/11/2023

Stick with wordpress

We just moved our members to Thinkific. I like some features but mostly it was a big mistake. But we're kind of stuck here now. I'm not changing again since we're looking to sell soon.
This was part of the reason for the move, when we sell we wanted to make it an easier transition than a whole bunch of wordpress logins everywhere.
But ultimately, I got caught up in the hype around these course platforms. I have tested pretty much all of them, and they make the UI look and feel great. But then once you start working in there you become super limited in what's achievable.
I've had another reality check now. Honestly, I just don't understand why people use them. It's like going back 10 years in time for the page builders.
Wordpress is far superior than anything else out there. Even though it can be a little clunky at times too. And the UI & UX is nowhere near as good. But it costs a fraction of the price of every other platform and you can do 10x more. Even when using the best plugins.
Ultimately, the benefits of this platform definitely do not outweigh the limitations it has. And definitely not when you are paying 5-10x the price tag.
Mostly I am writing this here to keep myself accountable moving forward lol. You would think that after 8 years I'd be smarter than this by now. But nope 🙄😂

Pros

Easy login process for members and easier to upgrade into other courses, easier to use coupon codes, etc
Single dashboard for partners, users and affiliates. This is the main issue we are trying to solve in the best way possible.
Easier to display the courses on the site like an education company. Less design needed which is good for our VA's.
A mobile app included, but it's super basic and not at all impressive

Cons

We had to manually import every student and bulk enroll them into every course individually. The bulk enroll will only run 1 import at a time. So it took about 2-days to import them for every course
We had to individually add every single affiliate because they don't have bulk enroll. It's taken my VA 3 days to do since we have over 300 affiliates. We're also going to have to manually pay them each month.
The only way Thinkific is useful is if you buy a bunch of plugins so you can build a proper website. That then causes caching issues.
The video player is old an outdated. We have to now go back and manually add every SRT file. It doesn't auto-generate like most players do these days. This will take a VA about a week to do.
They also don't have an inbuilt API that when a subscription member cancels to remove a tag from your CRM. This blows my mind. It's simple, standard practice for any membership platform. So we have to use Zapier instead which adds another unneccesary cost.
Support team is fairly unhelpful. All they do is send you to a document. They don't every help in any other way. For example, we just wanted to change the font size for the header menu. It had to be done in code. Would have taken someone on their team with develper knowledge 30 seconds to do or point us in the right direction. They wouldn't do it.

Kajabi

Reasons for Choosing Thinkific

Looking for a better user experience for our members

Reasons for Switching to Thinkific

Thinkific looked like the better one of the lot.

Top Thinkific Alternatives

Lucas
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Reviewed on 19/03/2021

Thinkific Rocks!

Excellent! I appreciate the outstanding product, fair prices, ease of interface and ability to easily build and delivery QUALITY courses. I haven't required customer service (that's a good sign!). I love the product and will definitely stay here!

Pros

The intuitive nature of your interface is extremely helpful for both course designers and students. As a site and course administrator, I'm exceptionally impressed with the ease of use. Thank you for incorporating finance management functions. Sleek design, ease of use, great price point. Don't change the price, it's one of your best market differentiators. I switched to Thinkific for the Pro Growth plan which was the key difference for me from other providers like Matrix.

Cons

I really need to market courses via social media with the least number of accounts and steps. It would be awesome if you could integrate some social media marketing tools into the site rather than link accompanying providers. The more I can do WITHIN thinkific, the better. The same applies for business functions like website management, sales of non-course materials (e.g., printed books, e-books), and perhaps QuickBooks

CYPHER Learning and Blackboard Learn

Reasons for Choosing Thinkific

Price and ability to scale my costs via the Pro Growth plan. I really liked the Matrix site itself but couldn't justify the price as soon as I saw the Thinkific plans and the product. Your site is excellent!

CYPHER Learning

Reviewed on 10/12/2019

Fills a gap in this space with enthusiasm!

Blackboard Course sites, Moodle, and Instructure Canvas are great products, but you have to invest in additional solutions to collect payments, etc. for selling the online courses. Thinkific does all this in 1 system with more options for site design than the big education players do. Some of the features could be more well-thought-out, but for a non-LMS company, it is incredibly easy to set up and allows you to design instructional sound materials.

Pros

I liked that you could design the access portal, the courses, and the payment methods all in 1 interface without any needs for additional products. I particularly enjoy how easy it is to set the courses up if you have your curriculum designed.

Cons

I wish there was an option to be able to have access to all the course features without fees. We are a startup and just are not in a position to charge for courses yet, meaning this would be a huge investment for us that we are not willing to make. It would be great if you could get a 6month burn-in period to test and market before going live.

Moodle, Blackboard Learn and BRIDGE

Reasons for Choosing Thinkific

Easier to configure and set up and did not require additional setup or management.

Moodle

Reasons for Switching to Thinkific

Payment portal and customization features.

Reviewed on 14/03/2023

Great Course Platform

Thinkific is much better than trying to remember to share Google Drive links with people to watch courses. It also looks much more professional.

Pros

Thinkfic integrates well with CRM systems which is so important to manage leads and data. It works well with Zapier as well which gives numerous possibilities.

Cons

I wish some things were a bit more clear. It provides the ability to have courses that renew or memberships but doesn't do great on the backend of highlighting pros and cons of each.

• Industry: Religious Institutions

Reviewed on 08/02/2022

Think About Using Thinkific

Pros

For me is it was the user friendly features of the program. I was able to train myself on the features in a few hours.

Cons

Our company has enjoyed using Thinkific and in comparison to to other programs we don't find any negative issued with Thinkific.

Teachable, WebinarNinja and Kajabi

Reasons for Switching to Thinkific

Thinkific was the first program we tried and once we tested others we just never found another program that was better for our needs.
Gavin
  • Industry: Media Production
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Reviewed on 04/10/2021

Sturdy training platform

Happy, students seemed to get on wit it fine.

Pros

The way it structures lessons, with sublessons.

Cons

Fiddling to put video content in. Can be fiddly to restructure a course if adding a lesson.

Groove

Reasons for Switching to Thinkific

Better more robust platform, though Groove has now taken over and I'm moving to them
Andy
Andy

Reviewed on 05/04/2023

A Good Basic Platform for selling online courses

I have used thinkific for over 3 years. It has been a good basic platform although somewhat frustrating at times due to limited functionality around creating engaging courses, no SCORM support and having to integrate with Thord party email management systems via Zapier (GetResponse)

Pros

Ease of use and simple to understand user interface

Cons

Somewhat limited in creating engaging learning, and having to use third party paid plugins for basic gamification. Virtually no customer management functionality built into the platform (such as email management) and limited integration with Third party contact management systems.

• Industry: Photography

Reviewed on 03/10/2023

Thinific delivers

Overall it is goo. The product delivers what it sets out to deliver. I am happy to receive payment immediately unlike other online course options who hold on to payment for weeks.

Pros

Payment is received immediately when someone purchases my course.

Cons

It is expensive compared to Systeme.io. They use Stripe as the payment gateway. South Africa and Stripe are not compatible so I'm forced to use Paypal. This leads to lost sales.

Kelwin
  • Industry: Information Services

Reviewed on 19/08/2022

Great tool. It would be just better if you build a mobile App for students.

I'm really enjoying the experience.

Pros

Having an API that facilitates the integration with our back office.

Cons

Not having an app for the student experience.

Kartra and Kajabi

Reasons for Switching to Thinkific

Having an API that seamlessly integrated with our backoffice.
Linda
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Reviewed on 07/12/2017

With Thinkific as our Platform, we have successfully launched three very different online...

We are at the beginning stages of offering a high quality course to students from around the world.

Pros

We researched many Platforms before choosing Thinkific.

We love that Thinkific is Canadian.

We love the journey that students take from first encountering the site landing page, going to the course landing page and then immersing themselves in the course.

I appreciate the helpful support from the Thinkific team. They do a great job of answering our many questions.

I am fortunate that Thinkific rebuilt their course editing software quite soon after we began developing our course. Their new software is quite easy to use and easy to revise.

I really like their flat-rate monthly subscription fee with no hidden costs.

Cons

I wish students could purchase this course in the currency of their own country.
I wish we could pay for our subscription in Canadian funds instead of American.
We have had to purchase a separate Discussion Forum because their Disqus Plug In is a social media plug in that is not confidential, and their built in Discussion Forum is very awkward and poorly organized with no ability to search, edit, or even manage posts.
Thinkific focuses much more on supporting marketing than on supporting online course development. We were fortunate that we had already taken two excellent courses in online course development that we could apply to the Thinkific Platform.
Thinkific is less responsive to good ideas for improvement than I would like them to be. For example, despite many, many requests from many course developers it is still not possible for the course author to copy, paste and edit quizes and so there is a lot of unnecessary labour involved in inputting quizes

Wendy
Wendy

Reviewed on 08/04/2019

Thinkific works for me!

No benefits realized yet as I just got my first course up and published. I have several courses written but finding the right software for me and my students was my Catch 22... never considered that would hold me back. I kept working on the courses... and finally, the solution was presented to me.

I have tried so many different teaching platforms already and never actually published. Just wasn't confident in knowing the site well enough -- but in no time at all, I am published on Thinkific and so thrilled I made the leap. Finally!

Pure FUN!

Pros

Thinkific is easy to use. Add a new Module, one click to add content, module after module. So easy!

Better yet, I LIKE how it looks to the user. I LIKE how the site can look like mine -- not another platform. It does look different, but MY site name is on top, visible, so users know where they are immediately. I've tried others and never quite liked the look as I work with seniors who have retired... and wanted simplicity. This time I found just that. AND YET -- very functional, with every content option I'd like to add.

Thinkific has a great Facebook group too. Very active and helpful, learned how others are doing their classes so gives me new ideas. Some groups were full of people whining about what the software didn't do or needed to be corrected... that didn't work for me either, yeah, picky picky! :)

Cons

I only had to ask Support one question while adding my first course. My only question was: how to add a manual student who paid me privately (or complimentary class) if they didn't purchase through Thinkific itself. I know its there, just chose to ask instead of searching! :)

I didn't even use HELP pages to learn how to use it... it was pretty intuitive for me and I love that! Please don't think that means its not a fully integrated teaching service, it really is. They simply "got it" where the user (me, the instructor) and the other user (student) is concerned. Someone did the work to think about how both users will interact with the software. Kudos!

Cheryl
  • Used for 1+ year

Reviewed on 20/11/2019

Great Option

I enjoyed Thinkific and may yet return to it when my current contract is up with the LMS I moved to earlier this year. It's certainly as easy to use, and the sales page option is better designed. Everything else is about the same, but Thinkific is slightly more expensive and the pricing model is confusing.

Pros

I liked most that there was a free option to get started and that there is a front end option that shows all courses owned by an account native to the program. Thinkific is easy to use and now that it has added a community feature it's almost perfect.

Cons

At the time I switched from Thinkific, I did so to get a native community feature so my students wouldn't have to go to Facebook for community. Now that Thinkific has added it, there's only one complaint I have, and that is that I need another layer of complexity for my courses. Unfortunately, I haven't found an LMS that has that, so Thinkific is no worse in that regard than any other LMS I've explored.

I do have an issue with the pricing model, which is too complex and confusing. That makes it hard to compare with other options.

Dan
Dan

Reviewed on 15/08/2017

Good for small, basic needs

Value for the money, attractive front end with little effort.

Pros

The way Thinkific presents content, from landing page to course completion page, is beautiful and appealing to the user. There are ample ways to connect with the user through various integrations if desired. It's also useful that you can customize the branding and even your own site theme if you have the available resources to do so! After switching from a sub-par LMS, our users are more engaged and more excited about signing in to consume our courses.

Cons

Reporting leaves much to be desired - best count on using Zapier to pull data into a 3rd party for analyzing user progress and completion rates. It's also frustrating that I have to wait for some reports to be emailed to me after requesting them. Perhaps the most frustrating part is that the front-end is designed using Liquid, which is difficult for a novice with basic CSS / HTML knowledge to navigate in order to make small text changes across the site.

Valamere

Reviewed on 29/11/2021

Think Simple Online Course Creation

Pros

I like Thinkific because it offers a simplified way to create, market, and sell online courses all in one platform. Thinkific have many content creation resources to design multimedia online courses or trainings. For example, there's an intuitive drag and drop feature that allows you to create classes, videos, and other digital tools for content with easy placement onto the platform. What makes this platform unique is the Thinkific Academy that is full of resources to walk you through creating, marketing, and selling your content, especially if you are new to this concept. What is great about Thinkific is the ability to customize and brand your online platform using low code development.

Cons

Although the interface is simple with a basic look and the ability to use low code development to customize the layout, it does not offer flexibility in making changes to fit your brand. Also, if you are not skilled in frontend development the visual elements of the platform, you will have to pay for additional fees.

SmarterU LMS and Wisetail LMS
Katie
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Reviewed on 02/07/2018

Love it!

I got leads into students who enjoyed this platform. I really loved setting up courses and I think this is a great product.

Pros

I really like how easy this system is; they have done a lot to make their platform easy to use. The free plan is good.
Pro's:
Easy to use & navigate
Helpful tutorials
Helpful webinars and manuals to help you get the most and market your courses
Clean crisp look
Responsive for mobile, tablet, and pc's

Cons

Pricing for me was the only con; I had purchased a lifetime subscription to another course building platform and decided to switch to that otherwise i'd still be using thinkific.

Hansome

Reviewed on 18/03/2021

Hansomekelly

Covers literally all of my needs and services

Pros

The different type of quizzes that I can offer

Cons

The growth package monthly payment per student

Monica
Monica

Reviewed on 14/06/2018

The best eLearning platform for beginners and experts

Pros

I have produced more than 200 online courses and used several platforms. Thinkific is my favorite. I have three schools there. It's easy to use, clean design, and the upgrades are customer-centered.

Cons

I don't like the new admin organization. It's text heavy and not intuitive. I prefer simple headers like courses, users, admin, etc.

Rocky
Rocky

Reviewed on 24/06/2018

For the non-developer who wants to create great online courses - go with Thinkific

It's just a great piece of software to deploy an online course without having to rely on a expensive developer (like myself.)

Pros

I deploy Thinkific to my clients who need to an online course, but don't have the expertise or resources to recruit someone with technology skills. It's really easy with a short learning curve. If building a website with drag/drop tools is easy to you - this is even easier.
Their support is fantastic! Their response time is quick, their team is helpful, and their reply is always clear and coherent. I've spoken to them as both a user, and a developer - and they were always willing to find a way to help me solve things.

Cons

For the scenario of building a training program - Thinkific is great - no issues. If I had to say something, like anything - the only thing I can think of is, as a developer - I wish I can build add-ons to extend Thinkific's features. I'm probably in the 1% who wants it, which shows how much Thinkific really thought things

Shawn
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Reviewed on 07/05/2021

Budget Friendly Software for developing your program

Overall I am very happy with this software for my program and it's been a very helpful tool.

Pros

I love that it is one of the most budget-friendly software that I know to create an online program on.

Cons

I do believe that the software has the potential to grow more and be a little bit more professional looking, I would recommend adding more features and better design options.

Abigail
Abigail

Reviewed on 07/12/2017

Thinkific is easy to use, the interface is friendly both for the administrator and for the...

I get to sell my courses to students directly and receive a hire percentage than I would on Udemy and Skillshare.

Pros

I needed to create online courses to sell directly to students rather than putting all my eggs in one basket... in this case 2 baskets; Udemy and Skillshare. I began looking for cheap or free LMS system, and after vetting my options I was down to two choices Thinkific and Teachable. Thinkific isn't as popular as Teachable so I was already partial, expecting less from it than Teachable. I was surprised that Thinkific was the better option.
Thinkific is easy to use, intuitive and very user-friendly, they have lots of resources on how to create courses. I hit a snag in the video production phase of my courses and I was surprised when they reached out to me, I explained that I hadn't been online as I was still creating my course and they sent links to resources that would help. That was a biggy for me, as I really needed that.

The staff and the software itself has been amazing.

Cons

Non really, at least for now. I'm on the free plan which has limited features, I'd need to upgrade to fully explore its capabilities but for now, I'm content

Emmani

Reviewed on 03/06/2021

Love it

Love it so much- I take courses and make my own course

Pros

Easy to use and explains everything very very well- the best platform I’ve used so far for my business

Cons

Nothing to complain about except not needing so many videos to split it up but to turn it into a pro makes it shorter and brings my clients attention back

Craig

Reviewed on 15/02/2022

Thinkific Has A Lot Going For It

Pros

The look presented to students, and options for directing their learning process is thoughtful and creative. When I have a question that the help file can't answer, the live chat has been helpful a number of times.

Cons

Some options are "all or nothing", in other words, I can't customize to individuals as much as I might like.

Sharon
  • Industry: Insurance

Reviewed on 02/12/2020

Feel Confident in the Basics

Thinkific is a strong performer for the price. It covers a lot of ground for course management needs from the all sides: student, teacher and administrative. You get many capabilities for video, text, downloads, discussions that serve different learning styles. The login, registration and payment system works well. Support can get you through even non-standard apps connections though it takes time and back/forth on email and phone.

Pros

Thinkific covers course the basics very well. It also provides strong administrative functions to support the student and teacher. Payment works well too.

Cons

The question import and question change functions need to be improved. Currently, they are unwieldy and time consuming. Support could be easier to connect to. But, as seems to be everywhere, you have to start with an email or chat.