About Whimsical

Whimsical is a collaborative digital workspace platform that helps design, engineering and product departments facilitate ideation through the creation of project wireframes, flowcharts, mind maps and sticky notes. Multiple...

Browse Whimsical Reviews

Bonita S.

Reviewed on 05/12/2019

Just like the name, it's fun and fantastic

Before Whimsical, I was struggling to switch between 3 different software and documents just to create, collab, and present UX deliverables. But now I can do them all in Whimsical and even invite other team members to collab on the design or to give feedback! Not to mention the tools are pretty straightforward so I'm less likely to overthink and just focus on making design ideas tangible :)

Pros

What I like the most is the Time Machine features, I hope they will release the stable version soon and maybe release a desktop app in the future.

Cons

It's troublesome if I wanted to open another board in a new tab when I'm inside a project board. I have to type in whimsical.com in my browser to brings me to the project dashboard so I can open the other board in a new tab.

Martin C.

Reviewed on 05/12/2020

Boards, Flow Charts, and Mind Maps and much more! EASY and BEAUTIFUL!

I'll keep it very short! After trying a few different software for flowcharting, mind mapping, and boards or what whimsical call Sticky Notes which combines the two... This has been a pleasant surprise it's beautiful, it's easy especially for a guy that's not from an engineering or project management background, and it just works really well. Best of all it combines most of the tools we need to create projects or designs in one easy and affordable tool. The icing on the cake which is how I found out about it is that this integrates well with Notion so now I can embed the tools I create into Notion and manage it all there. Please keep making it better its got so much potential

Pros

The software looks very clean and polished with easy navigation and controls everything works well. You have most of the tools for project management in 1 software. If you use Notion is very well integrated with it which is what originally sold me on it. It's so easy to use goodbye Trello (never embraced it), Lucidchart (not bad but for simple process/flowcharting this is better), and a few other Mind Map software that never did it for me.

Cons

I haven't found one but I'm still kind of new to it and I just hope they keep making it better.

Miro

Reasons for Choosing Whimsical

With this tool, I don't need Lucidchart, Trello, and a few other Mind Maps software I tried

Lucidchart

Reasons for Switching to Whimsical

Whimsical had slightly better reviews but Miro looks good too but seemed like it had more than I need and I'm not sure it has some features from Whimsical
Erin C.
  • Used Monthly for 1-5 months

Reviewed on 02/12/2021

Wireframe building made easy

Since discovering Whimsical, I have been able to create wireframes and sales funnels so much quicker. I am a visual person, so I need to see these types of diagrams mapped out in front of me in order to visualize the big picture. It's also a great source for reference as I am building the wireframe or trying to explain/understand a click funnels process from A to Z.

Pros

I am using the free version and it makes wireframe building so much easier. I struggled with how to build and present wireframes to my clients until I discovered Whimsical. Now I can visualize and build quickly and then use them as a guide when I build/design the website. Also, it makes it easier to visualize sales funnels which I appreciate.

Cons

It's a bit complicated at first, trying to get the directional arrows to go where they are supposed to and figuring out how to use all the elements in the way I intend. I got frustrated the first time I used it because the elements didn't behave the way I expected them to. I think it just takes practice. I did not watch or read any tutorials, which I am sure would have helped.

Top Whimsical Alternatives

Amey J.

Reviewed on 08/07/2021

Not Bad But Not Good Also!

I am using whimsical for one my project Insisted by client. We are using these software mostly for our roadmap discussion and to log future deployments and Ideas. Overall experience is so so not bad but not good also. There are some areas need to improve specially when we add cards into stacks. Little chaos will happened when users try to edit or add card simultaneously.

Pros

I am using this software more than six month for project roadmap planning and retrospective discussions. Pros are like it is quick and drag drop cards works great. Easy to create workflow. Option for colouring is very handy.

Cons

What i dislike about it is interface is not simple and difficult to understand at first. Collaboration is not that easy and difficult to align. Only limited sets of card can be displayed on stack user not aware of where they can find all list of cards

Swathy R.

Reviewed on 31/05/2021

Excellent Product

Loving it!

Pros

I absolutely love whimsical - I have been using it for 2 years now for my professional and personal projects.
In particular, I love their Wireframes - no other paid or free software comes anywhere close to this feature. Another thing I love about Whimsical is their support team - they are super quick to respond to any queries that you have!

Cons

Mind maps are always 1 to Many mapping - Many to 1 are not possible but again it's not a deal-breaker

• Used Weekly for Free Trial

Reviewed on 03/12/2019

Whimsical makes drawing beautiful diagrams super easy

Non technical staff needed to draw process flows, etc and found Visio too cumbersone and fiddly.. plus all the 'style' had to be applied manually and formatted manually.

Pros

Drawing diagrams is extremely easy. Lines join up automatically, curve when they need to.. gone are the days of fiddling with alignment and trying to grab little placement handles with the mouse cursor.
The resulting diagrams are also extremely sexy - with that modern flat look by default.
Whimsical make your diagrams look like you hired a graphic designer.

Cons

There are not enough templates to create all the diagrams types necessary, with all the details necessary

Visio

Reasons for Choosing Whimsical

Easier to use. Better looking results.

Visio

Reasons for Switching to Whimsical

Easier to use and better looking results with minimal effort.
  • Used for 1+ year

Reviewed on 02/08/2019

I can't believe that making diagrams can be so easy.

It can be summed in making diagrams has never been easier and the interface is so nice, I just love how easy it has made my work on documenting processes, and user flows. Wonderful product, and you can try it for free, so what are you waiting for?

Pros

- Beautiful interface
- Very easy to use: I mean how easy you can connect pieces in a diagram is almost unreal.
- Collaborative and cloud based
- You can create folders to keep your diagrams ordered and easy to find
- Easy to share diagrams, and get feedback in the same file.
- A free tier

Cons

I can't think of any, I've been using this software nonstop for the past few months. And it always amazes me how fast you can build diagrams, it has made the task of documenting so easy too. I love it.

Vincent po B.
  • Industry: Information Services

Reviewed on 05/02/2021

One of the best Mindmap apps

Overall, it's my favourite mind mapping tool. I don't really use it for the other type of diagramming, mostly the mind mapping feature.

Pros

Whimsical has become my favourite mind mapping app. I used to use apps like Xmind but Whimsical is much nicer and beautiful to use. I tried the mind mapping feature in Clickup but it doesn't compare at all to Whimsical. This is so much easier to use.

Cons

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with it. The only confusing thing with it is you can't "delete" mind maps.

Rebecca M.

Reviewed on 24/05/2021

I wish I'd found Whimsical sooner!

I am able to strategize and evolve my ideas within Whimsical and present them back to my team with ease. There's really nothing it can't do, its just a fantastic tool!

Pros

On Whimsical I am able to wireframe, mind map, plan customer journeys with such ease! I used to spend hours across multiple programs planning strategy, but with Whimsical I can do everything I need in one place. I love opening a fresh whimsical, brain dumping all my ideas and then using the flow diagram tools and wireframe features to show how my ideas will work.

Cons

I find grouping a bit fiddly sometimes, but I always manage to sort it out.

Sebastián A.

Reviewed on 10/08/2021

A platform for team design

In general I have had a good experience. This tool has been very useful especially for design projects and templates for our website.

Pros

What I like most about this program are the collaboration tools that allow teamwork without limits due to distance or schedule. In this way, any member can collaborate at any time.

Cons

What I like the least is the movement within the interface, at times it can be annoying since it makes it difficult to change templates and you can get lost if you have several projects on the work table.

Nagela D.
  • Industry: Market Research

Reviewed on 09/07/2020

Beautiful and Easy to Use

Completely easy and satisfying to use. I am able to embed my board into other software - which increases the usability.

Pros

Creating mind maps, charts, and the like is a visual exercise -Whimsical has designed something so beautiful that it gets the creative juices flowing. It so easy to walk my team through the things I create in whimsical without any kind of learning curve.

Cons

Would love to see a few more features to populate my diagrams with more helpful content. For example, embedded docs or websites.

Miro

Google Charts

Reasons for Switching to Whimsical

Whimsical is has less of a learning curve
  • Industry: Internet

Reviewed on 12/04/2019

Honestly the best

Here's an example of one of the times Whimsical saved me: we had a super urgent fix my team needed to make with our software, but everyone kept talking in circles because there were so many different scenarios we needed to account for. I quickly put together a flowchart in Whimsical and sent it out so that everyone could get on the same page. I had to keep updating the diagram, which would have been a huge pain if I were creating a file in Sketch, then exporting it and emailing out each version to everyone. But with Whimsical, I could make all the changes I wanted and anyone with the link could see the latest changes in real time. It made everything so much smoother.

Pros

I rarely get this excited about a product, but Whimsical changed my daily workflow. It is so easy to create easy, elegant diagrams and wireframes. And it's even easier to share - just send anyone a link and they'll be able to access the latest version of what you're working on.

Cons

I can only think of really minor things, like when I'm trying to comment on someone's diagram, some of the elements are not eligible to have comments added to them (like arrows and text).

Thang N.

Reviewed on 12/01/2021

Intuitive drawing tool for software design

We are a team of ~ 10 members work along other teams to do software development. Obviously we need drawing tool to share and publish idea and proposal to other. Whimsical has ended our search for the drawing tool.

Pros

The best drawing tool I ever used for solution design. Everything is perfect from UI/UX to functionality. I can create flow charts and share with colleagues easily and even collaborate on them in real time.

Cons

There is nothing I don't like from Whimsical. In fact I never look back to older tool once I got the taste of the tool.

Reviewed on 22/09/2020

Whimsical is whimsical

It's a great product, but there are free options (draw.io) that get job done. I would only recommend if your team has wiggle room in the budget.

Pros

As a lover of flowcharts, this product blew me away. It's overflowing with features that facilitate diagrams, mind maps, and prototypes too. As a PM, I can make very detailed prototypes for smaller tasks and not even need to request formal wireframes from our Design team! Also great for documenting how stuff works in your business. Really helped me get onboarded quickly. A visual-learner's delight.

Cons

There are some really small but hyper annoying nuisances. 1) the text options are way too small. I have to strain my eyes just to see the XXL text. 2) Pasting can be frustrating because the pasted image always appears in the same spot, rather than where I'm working. I have to scroll "miles" to find the thing that I pasted just to drag it to the relevant portion of my diagram,

Volodymyr B.

Reviewed on 18/01/2019

Well-oiled flowcharting tool

Whimsical doesn't really offer anything special but it does its job really well.

Pros

If you need to do the job nice and easy - Whimsical is a go-to tool. Within a couple of clicks you can make all the stuff you need - wireframe mock, proof of concept, diagrams to back-up your presentation, the list goes on.
It is easy to get into and simple to use.
It is also very good for collaborative projects.

Cons

Free trial version features are limited and the full version costs a penny. This may be a huge turn off for those who need this kind of a tool but doesn't have the budget for it.

• Industry: Writing & Editing

Reviewed on 31/05/2019

Quick, easy, uncomplicated mockups

I've used it professionally and personally for ux design and writing practice and paid projects.

Pros

I LOOOOVE whimsical. It was my first use for ux design and so intuitive I picked it up right away. I use it for both personal use where it's easy and quick for mockups, flowcharts, wireframes, you name it, and for professional use where I can easily share with a client.

I pay for the basic version for multiple boards. I find it easily is offset by my earnings. The customer support is also very responsive and friendly :)

Cons

Not being able to crop imported images bugs me. Usually this is no problem, but when you're looking to make a mockup for a pre-existing site, this can irk. Please insert this feature! It will only make me love you more.

Jon C.

Reviewed on 29/03/2019

Create Simple, Beautiful Diagrams Very Quickly

I'm very glad to have found Whimsical.

For years, I've been creating simple to moderately-complex architecture and service diagrams using Google Draw. That process has worked, but it's been tedious and unpleasant. I spend more time tinkering with the drawing to make it look good than I do thinking about what I'm diagramming. I found other applications (draw.io, LucidCharts, etc) to have a similar experience.

Whimsical has been a breath of fresh air. It provides only the tools I really need, and it looks beautiful by default. It's let me "brainstorm" out diagrams very quickly, which is what I needed: to focus on architecting, not on fiddling with diagrams.

The output (PNG, share link, etc) is super convenient to use, and it's a breeze to drop into slides and other documentation.

Thanks for the great tool, Whimsical team!

Pros

Whimsical is super easy to learn and use, and the diagrams that it produces are beautiful.

It feels like very well polished software; it's not quirky or buggy like other solutions.

I LOVE the infinite zoom - we can capture an ever-expanding arena of ideas.

Cons

I haven't found anything I don't like! It's not very feature rich - but it's not supposed to be.

Stephanie B.
  • Industry: Package/Freight Delivery

Reviewed on 05/09/2019

HUGE Whimsical Fan

Pros

What don't I like?! The prototyping is amazing. The sticky notes, the flowcharts, the mind maps--I literally use it all! It's also been incredible in setting up and running my very first 100% remote design sprint, and I've been able to guide the team solely in this product. That's REALLY powerful! I am so impressed. Also love that you can copy and paste elements from different file types into one another. It's so fluid and intuitive. I have not one bad thing to say. I'd recommend it to anyone!

Cons

Nothing I dislike, but perhaps one recommendation would be to allow layered file exports into programs like Figma. That would be AMAZINGGGGG!

Stelios P.

Reviewed on 01/07/2021

Easy to use whiteboard software

I am very satisfied with Whimsical, it does and helps you complete your goals, it's not frustrating and the simplicity of the software functionality is pretty awesome.

Pros

it has a pretty cool notes system (love it)
you can create flows and flowcharts as you like
provide different themes like docs, flowcharts, mind maps, simple wireframes
its support collaboration,
easy to use and experiment (regarding wireframes)

Cons

some limitations on design tools
maybe more custom default regarding mind-maps
we need more emojis and ways to make this whiteboard fun to use

Tigran H.

Reviewed on 20/02/2021

Quick diagram Tool

Overall I am very satisfied with this app, it's very useful to me, It has simple UI and easy to use.

Pros

It's a best software I met to make any diagram or mind map super fast using it's tools and share with others.

Cons

As I used this, only thing I didn't like in it is that this does not have any feature to export all diagram on svg or something else.

Peter S.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages
  • Used Monthly for 6-12 months

Reviewed on 19/04/2021

Whimsical

Whimsical is a versatile, easy-to-use platform, we use it a lot for ideation across remote teams and workers. Customer Support is brilliant.

Pros

Easy UI, easy to use across teams & remote workers, great for planning, whiteboarding and presenting.

Cons

Views/zoom cab a little finicky, direct link to the platform support centre would be a sensible addition.

• Industry: Publishing

Reviewed on 26/09/2019

Easy visual map creation tool

Great experience thus far; looking forward to continued use of Whimsical for future projects.

Pros

Whimsical has made it very easy to visually map site architecture, automation flows, and other workflows.

Cons

Collaboration in Whimsical is lacking. It would be great to work on a project simultaneously with a team member.

Sohaib A.
  • Industry: Market Research
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Reviewed on 21/07/2021

Simple but effective

It was good. But I have moved to Miro now as it met all my needs.

Pros

It is quite good for Wireframing although I did have one dev think that my wireframe created on Whimsical was actual UI I had designed (kudos to the Whimsical team for creating such good wireframing I guess?). But Whimsical is just super easy to use. There are enough elements to create detailed wireframes.

Cons

Its greatest asset can also sometimes be its greatest drawdown. The simplicity means there arent as many features and templates as alternatives like Miro. Miro is like a whole eco-system, but Whimsical is more of a good standalone tool.

Reviewed on 19/08/2021

Great flow mapping tool

Pros

Ease of use is the best feature of whimsical. Even people who are new to flow mapping is able to get up to speed quickly.

Cons

I wish it had an integration with Figma! Figma did come out with Fig Jam though, so that may actually replace Whimsical for us.

• Used for 6-12 months

Reviewed on 16/07/2019

Collaborative visual workspace

Pros

I've used Whimsical to do wireframing and journey mapping. It's a pretty basic tool that allows you to create box and line diagrams, and I find it most helpful for mapping out sequences. It's great that you can share and collaborate with others easily on the board, and the boards appear to be pretty infinite.

Cons

I haven't had any issues thus far with Whimsical, however I've only used it for pretty basic diagramming tasks.