Revel Systems Reviews

About Revel Systems

Revel is a cloud-based business platform that integrates operations and customer channels with point-of-sale (POS) functionality in a single dashboard. It is suitable for stores and restaurants of all sizes and provides users...

3.4
3.6
3.4

Browse Revel Systems Reviews

Lisa
  • Used for 2+ years

Reviewed on 14/04/2017

Not for the technology newbie....

The only reporting feature I would love to see is comparative reports so I don't have to piece them together. I want to know things like "sales last March versus sales this March", and "labor last month versus this month". That's how we track trends and right now we have to export as excel and wrote our own formulas to analyze this data. Overall, a good system for our small business.

Pros

Great reporting on the back end. Responsive to feedback. Constantly evolving and listening to customers. VERY customizable.

The systems are reliable (as long as your network is reliable) and I haven't had any Revel related downtime. We are a 7 day a week operation with two locations and the only problems we have had have been related to our own network reliability and one faulty iPad. Once we upgraded those, we were fine.

Cons

SUPER labor intensive to set up yourself. If you are at all uncomfortable with technology and terminology, hire someone to do this for you. If you are comfortable plucking around in setting up the backend yourself, go for it. I had TERRIBLE frustrations with the support team at launch. It was clearly an overseas call center and there was a language barrier where the agents were likely trained to simply read back scripted responses and not really think critically through my issues. I feel like maybe they added some US based support because sometimes when I call now, language and understanding is not an issue and I can get things solved quickly.

It can sometimes feel like this system is trying to be all things to all people, which can be both admirable and frustrating at the same time. There are SO many set up choices I don't need that I feel like a consultative sales approach (and more personal support at set up) would be more helpful but that would definitely cause costs to rise. It's a conundrum.

So just know that you'll save money if you feel confident setting this up yourself. If you aren't comfortable wit technology, be ready to spend a little on hiring a person to set you up.

Kiera

Reviewed on 24/07/2018

Amazing features and functionality for accurate business analysis

Give your customer service agents at your call centers raises! I have spent dozens of hours on the phone and talked to numerous people from all over and every single one of them has surpassed all expectations of product knowledge and customer service! That makes a world of difference!

Pros

The features from a business owner's perspective are unparalleled. Everything is totally customizable tofu the specific and unique needs of individual businesses. The customer service alone makes this worth the money. I have never looked forward to calling customer service before, but the training of the employees of not just product knowledge, but also customer service is absolutely unmatched.

Cons

I have three specific areas of opportunity for Revel.
1) Taking payments of split checks (especially when one guest leaves earlier than others) is the worst system of any modern systems I have ever worked with. After splitting the checks, it is impossible to change the way you split the items if one guest has already paid and left. This really needs to be addressed if the product is going to be marketed to full service restaurants that have to deal with split payments on almost every party of 3 or more.
2) While I appreciate its modern focus, it is not easy to work with if a restaurant still uses paper gift certificates.
3) We were a "Guinea Pig" test restaurant for a salesman that had never worked with Revel before. He provided absolutely no help at all in setting up the system as he didn't know much about it himself. Even after he got back from training, he had to call customer service to answer simple questions I had. For such a complex and intricate system, there should be protocols in place for better training of the people selling it to be able to set it up for the customers.

Emily

Reviewed on 07/11/2016

Full of Glitches

We've been with Revel for about 8 months now. I am on the phone with customer support weekly, nearly daily. Our initial integration with Quickbooks was not well supported by their staff and eventually I had to just teach myself how to get the system set up and integrated. We have constantly had issues that when I contact customer service they tell me they don't know why it happened and it must be a glitch in the software. My credit card machine broke after 7 months and Revel could not figure out how to fix it so I called the manufacturer and they told me it was a software issue. Revel's solution was to trade in for a new one, rather than try to figure out what the software issue was. The first customer service agent I spoke to did not even have the manual for the pin pad that I was using.

Multiple times Revel has stopped speaking to Quickbooks without warning and our data has not been pushed through as it should. I've been told that the exchange feature that is built in to the front end of the system does not actually work and so we should stop using it and do a work around so that our entries into Quickbooks will be correct. My completed invoices have gotten stuck between the Ipad and the back office and the payments have therefore not been received into Quickbooks until I discovered the problem. Revel has multiple times overtaken Quickbooks and changed the vendor information in Quickbooks. After multiple phone calls to customer support for a single issue I've eventually been told that my system is out of date and that's what's causing the problem, but it was never brought up in initial phone calls. In the same vein, there is no indication from Revel that I should update the system. In fact for the last update, the app told me that it was the most up to date, but finally on the back end of Revel there was a warning that I needed to update or my system would be obsolete. In fact I was running the most up to date version of the app, but what needed to be done was to download an entirely new app-that was not made clear in Revel's warning, I just happened to figure it out myself. Furthermore, had I not happened to log into Revel's back end on that particular day, I would not have known that I was required to update.

One day the back office stopped sending our daily emailed reports. When I spoke to customer support they told me that it was because the email addresses where the report was sent were separated by commas and not semi-colons. When I mentioned that the commas had been working for 7 months they told me that it was due to an update on their back end that now required semi-colons. When asked how I was supposed to know that and change it I was told that it had been a "known issue" for over a month and that some businesses had a problem and some didn't so they didn't let customers know about the issue.

With all the issues I've had, I've never been able to speak to a supervisor or had any kind of conciliatory gesture like a reduced price made for me and in fact had to pay shipping to and from returning my credit card machine. When I speak to customer service about issues related to Quickbooks integration, they are not trained on Quickbooks so generally cannot help me.

Overall the system is extremely glitchy and inconsistent. It cannot be counted on to work the same way from day to day.

Pros

-When it works it is more robust and better at speaking to Quickbooks than any other POS systems that we've used.

Cons

There are many, many issues that I can't explain because it works fine one day and not at all the next, with no reason.
-Past POS companies have emailed me monthly updates about changes that are coming and information about updating the app or problems that have been discovered. Revel does no such thing.

Response from Revel Systems

Hi Emily,

I'm sorry to hear that you've experienced frustration with the QuickBooks integration. I've looked into your support ticket history and it looks like support has resolved your most recent ticket. Additionally, in reviewing your QuickBooks support history with a QB Support Specialist, it appears that our sync has paused most frequently following deletion or removal of QuickBooks records, which the system references. This would be true with any accounting and point-of-sale integration and we recommend that customers do not delete Revel created accounts or records. In an effort to resolve this, our next release will include an enhancement where Revel and QuickBooks notify each other of deleted records to prevent syncing issues.

We send emails alerting customers about coming updates and features and it may be that you've accidentally unsubscribed.

I've asked our Client Relations team to reach out to you to resolve any outstanding issues and provide you with additional customer service. Thank you for your feedback.

Sarah, Community Manager, Revel Systems

Replied 08/11/2016

Top Revel Systems Alternatives

Reviewed on 18/09/2017

Tons of customizations!

No other system had the flexibility to provide what we needed. Customization took months to get sorted out (and I am a network engineer during the day). Despite all the hard ships I couldn't imagine switching again. I still experiment with competitors that have lower fees, however can't match half the features and flexibility I get with Revel.

Pros

The ability to customize the POS
Online ordering built in at decent rate (may be more expensive now)
IPad based (flexibility)
Integrates with many payment processors (heads up on gateway fees)

Cons

Expensive
Seems like they are moving to a la carte pricing structure (more expensive)
Customer Support is based in Philippines, while sometimes good they don't really understand sometimes

Response from Revel Systems

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the review! We appreciate your input and it's great to hear you like the flexibility you get with Revel.

Our Support team, however, is no longer based in the Philippines, as of about a year and a half ago. We have U.S. and Lithuanian-based Support now and we have gotten great feedback.

Hope your experiences of late have been great ones.
Cheers,

Replied 19/09/2017

Reviewed on 15/05/2019

Pretty, but Problematic

Lots of restaurants and retail stores I frequent use Revel. I would try Revel again if given the choice, but I would make sure to get my employees trained in troubleshooting themselves to avoid the potential of a customer service snafu.

Pros

I work for a small college bookstore that recently transitioned from an ancient, outdated POS system. We were all so excited about Revel. It's sleek, easy to use, and much simpler than many of its predecessors.

Cons

The biggest trouble we ran into is that Revel is hopelessly buggy, and I would sometimes be on the phone with customer service for an hour before getting my problem resolved. For a small business with only one cash register, this was often a nightmare.

Response from Revel Systems

Thanks very much for your feedback. We're sorry to hear that our system fell short of your expectations, but hope you give us another chance in the future. We're constantly working to improve the quality of our products and services.

Replied 23/05/2019
Thierry

Reviewed on 12/12/2019

Maybe not for restaurant

The system was easy to learn, thanks god because there is no onsite help and if you have a problem you have to resolve it with and onl the phone operator! That can be time consuming and frustrating if you are not very technologically friendly.

Pros

Easy to use. Easy to learn staff friendly have a portable option, reliable enough. Use iPad and doesn’t take too much space.

Cons

Not set up toward restaurant, long orders arrive in the kitchen, with no clear consolidation of the order, making it difficult to work with big parties. And few little similar problems, that make you think, this system was not developed for restaurant

TouchBistro

Reasons for Choosing Revel Systems

Vivonet was great and reliable, but a nightmare to set up, also after few years they ask me to buy a new system, was the perfect time to switch.

Reasons for Switching to Revel Systems

At the time I could not access my touch bistro network from an outside computer.
  • Industry: Media Production

Reviewed on 30/04/2018

Revel is a smart choice for small business owners looking to use the iPad as their POS

A POS system that is reliable most of the time.

Pros

There are many POS providers out there today but I think Revel does a great job for small business owners. They utilize a familiar hardware (iPad) and turn it into a POS system that's easy to navigate. Being in a rush or training new employees can be a disaster if you have the wrong POS system but Revel does a great job with their easy layout.

Cons

Customer service can be disastrous at times, especially if your POS system is down during a rush. It doesn't happen frequently but it does happen so you should be aware of that before making your choice.

Response from Revel Systems

Hi There,

Thank you so much for the review and feedback!

We are sorry to hear that you do experience the occasional outage -- if you have additional info regarding an issue of that nature, we would love to hear it to address it with our agents and engineers.

Please feel free to contact me at [email protected].

Kind Regards,
Sarah, Customer Advocacy Manager at Revel

Replied 01/05/2018

Reviewed on 27/08/2019

Good idea, good realization on the hardware concept, but buggy software

Sales, inventory, predictions, CRM, marketing - all nicely done.

Pros

It is full wifi, full cloud, very versatile and very nice and sleek.

Cons

iOS only, apple only, comes out expensive, heavy toll on the pay as you go needs (licensing tied to number of terminals)

Square Point of Sale

Better overall quality.
Bill
Bill

Reviewed on 21/11/2018

Revel, the good and the bad

Helpful with keeping track of sales and labor. Easy to learn and easy to train new employees on.

Pros

Easy to use and set up. The reports are pretty good. As a simple POS and time keeping system, it works well

Cons

If you need a POS that will help you with in depth inventory control, this is probably not the system for you

Response from Revel Systems

Thank you for the feedback, Bill. We'd love to hear about what we could do differently with our inventory management tool¿if you'd like, please submit a feature request at https://support.revelsystems.com/hc/en-us/articles/208479946-Suggest-a-New-Feature. Thanks again!

Replied 28/11/2018
Kyle
Kyle

Reviewed on 01/02/2018

We use it in a coffee shop, and it has helped a lot.

Pros

You can program it to accept tips on charge card which increased the barista's tips. IT was a lot better than our previous system.

Cons

The backend stuff is hard to figure out and the customer service isn't the best. Also you need quite a bit of training to be comfortable with using it on a day to day basis.

Response from Revel Systems

Hi Kyle,

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave us a review and for the feedback!

Cheers,

Replied 02/02/2018
Chase

Reviewed on 05/02/2024

12 mos w/o Online Store, Still Billing Me over $500 Per Month!

Predatory, negligent, damaging. Never use this company, they outsource everything. You get a different person who has never seen your account every time. Hours of useless service calls and no one has the same story. We had to find out through months of labor that they cannot do what we signed the contract for due to skimp-flating their software and removing features with V2 Online Ordering.

Pros

Nothing!

Cons

Everything! Over a year ago we spent 10+ hours on phone on initial set up, over 100 hours on customer service, got bumped between V1 of their online ordering system and V2, neither of which have a complete set of features allowing for pick up and shipping. That was falsely sold and they are in breach of contract unable to fulfill the terms. The matter is being transferred to our attorney for resolution, yet another additional cost we have been burdened with by this terrible company. Someone must be getting paid for them to grow so fast, sad they can't service their customers effectively, fulfill on contract terms, and follow with predatory billing. They have nearly put our small business out of business and are still taking the money out of our bank account despite blocking charges.

Alex

Reviewed on 22/04/2022

Do Not Go With Revel PoS

Terrible experience with all teams involved.
The person that was supposed to be handling our case was rude and extremely inattentive
We didn’t even get to start using the system because it was not delivering what we asked for.

Pros

Nothing
All I can say is that the package looks nice but there’s nothing useful in the package but a pack of lies.

Cons

The sales process is extremely misleading and they will tell you anything you want to hear but delivery will fall very short
During the process of selecting a point-of-sale system be interviewed several software companies including Revel
In this process the sales person promises that their point of sale is capable of the options we were looking for and in the process of discovery after we made payments and purchased equipment and software we realized that it was not true
In particular we wanted to use a kitchen display system that had the capability of firing courses and this was not the case
Later when we told them that this is not functioning properly they recommended that we use printers instead
We told them the reason why we made the switch to your company was to use kitchen display and avoid printers all together
Sadly they refuse to acknowledge even though all the technicians that we spoke to clearly admitted that this function is not currently functional in the way it should be
I would strongly advise not to use the system as they are extremely misleading in the process of delivering their sale and product

We never even started using the system as the system was not capable of delivering what we were promised to.
So we lost all the initial investment into it and no recourse.

Square Point of Sale and TouchBistro

Reasons for Choosing Revel Systems

Because they offered what we needed

TouchBistro

Reasons for Switching to Revel Systems

We didn’t chose revel ultimately We made the choice initially because they made false promises
Margaret

Reviewed on 25/05/2017

No Customer Service Department only a Customer Retention Department!

Sorely disappointed in this millenial run company. No sense of understanding of customer loyalty. When I showed up in person at their offices in San Francisco, it was lunch time and the elevators were a turnstile of delivery people bringing in "take out" food to the office. I was treated very poorly when met by the Director of Sales who tried to just pawn off my issue "until Monday". Here were are suffering from a massive company wide fiasco costing us many man hours and challenges serving our customers when these guys are just sitting around enjoying their venture capital take outs for lunch. Kinda hard to take when you're working your ass off 3 states away with no breaks and no one will even respond/acknowledge the massive mistake made by their company. We were finally told today that they do not even have a customer service/care department...only a customer retention department that they self described as the department for customers considering leaving. YES, we said...that's who we need to talk to (still at 5pm...no contact for this mysterious department provided). Creating an exit plan...Such a bummer. Had such high hopes for this product. Too bad the people behind the scenes totally stink.

Pros

Syncs for us seamlessly with Quickbooks online
Can handle large inventory
Lots of options for discounts and sales and alternative pricing and grouping
Love putting the orders together on on iPad and closing it out at the register on another.

Cons

Terrible, horrible, god awful customer service. The tech people are great at helping do a lot of things by phone; however when we did an update after a big fiasco with trying to resync iPads to printers and iPads to swipers, etc, we find out that our scale that we purchased through Revel for more cost when it was only worth less, we were told is no longer supported...this only 2 years after purchase. Sadly, we are so immersed in their system at present that we will have to purchase the new scale that they are supporting. We received zero notification that they were discontinuing the scale. The scale is a massive factor in our use of revel as 2/3 of our inventory is measured by grams. We have received run around after run around by phone, by email AND...even when I showed up at their office in San Francisco.

Reviewed on 14/01/2018

Customer since 2012: Easy to use, excellent features, poor customer service. Be careful...

Pros

This system is highly customizable and easy to use. Reports are excellent and Revel does a nice job of continuously updating the backend to be more useful. Keeping track of employee hours is easy and efficient.

Cons

We have been a customer since 2012 and Revel has changed the playing field:

1) Revel now charges more per terminal per month if you choose to not use their credit card processing service. This wasn't the case when we signed up.

2) We purchased 2 scales in 2012 and two more for a second location in 2014. Revel's updated system no longer supports these peripherals. Revel offered me a discount for replacement of these scales for ones that work. Not good enough! This same situation occurred earlier with printers which I had to repurchase.

In addition to changing the playing field, the customer service is not good. Expect the system to go down at least 3 to 4 times a year when Apple upgrades their iOS.

Revel has changed their business model. They are now in the business of credit card processing. I see this as a sign of a struggling business and would be concerned about their longevity.

3) Confusing payment structure.

Response from Revel Systems

Hi John,

Thank you so much for your feedback. I am sorry to hear that there have been issues with your scales and our latest release. I am confident that the issue will be resolved and do apologize for the delay. I have escalated your case to our customer relations team and they will be sure to address any outstanding issues for you.

You are always welcome to schedule a time to share your feedback with me at [email protected]. Happy to learn more about your experience.

Replied 19/01/2018
Kendra
  • Used for 1-5 months

Reviewed on 19/08/2017

REVEL POS System: A Huge Mistake w/ Painful Ripple Effects

A Huge Mistake w/ Painful Ripple Effects. I want to convey concise specifics regarding where the decision to purchase the REVEL system went wrong without emotion but this process from start to finish coupled with the loss and major internal labor dollars, cuts deep!

Before signing we did our due diligence, as best we knew how. Our team read the pro and con reviews. We took particular note of one review which said get everything in writing prior to signing. Our attempt to do so was to compile an excel doc that listed specifics of everything we needed the system to do for our custom bakery. We received a “yes” we can on the majority of the listed items. Our team sent multiple emails and cataloged them all, from pre-purchase, sales rep dialogue, on-boarding, initial program management, daily questions to various on-boarding team members, help line conference calls, management team conference calls, to and the summary of where the REVEL system failed us miserably. If you would like this information, we would be more than happy to forward you our packet of information. We hired an intern for 6 weeks who worked in tandem with a permanent team member, solely for the purpose of manage the on-boarding and conversion process; with the intent of expediting our transition from our old POS system to new REVEL system.

Our internal plan was so effective that within 2 weeks of receiving the equipment, we were able to ascertain that the REVEL system would not align with our business model. Our internal conversion team learned the platform so well, that they were able to ascertain operational components of the software the help desk and our assigned project manager was not aware (use of modifiers and order category classifications). Our team hit the ground running the day after the contract was signed.

Pros

IOS IPad functionality. Delivered product to store front quickly. If you have limited customization needs, the entry of products may prove easy.

Cons

On-boarding process. Inability to own product customization challenges. No provision in contract for when the product does not work with your business model as they initially advocated.

Response from Revel Systems

Hi Kendra,

I am sorry to see that we were not able to meet your expectations. If you have specific requests during the sales process that were not rendered by the system we are happy to review them. However, in our director-level review of your inquiries of the system and needs during the sales process, we have delivered the product as stated.

I have taken a look into your ticket history and work with our client relations team and, as mentioned, we are more than happy to build out enhancement requests and expedite as needed. We understand that you may not wish to work with us and we do apologize that your experience was not what you had anticipated despite many attempts to understand your specific needs. We have many clients with similar setups, but, of course, we could always use input for further product development.

Sarah, Community Manager at Revel

Replied 05/09/2017
Bob

Reviewed on 11/03/2018

2 years of ongoing crap

I wish I'd gotten another POS. Am actively looking for another, despite knowing how destructive this would be to implement.

Pros

Somewhat aesthetically pleasing, so customers comment sometimes. Overall everyone who actually uses it hates it.

Cons

Where do I even start. Personally the jump in per month fees with no notice and no explanation *tops* my list. Also we reported to them extremely basic functionality that's broken. There the slowness, no notice backwards updates, customer support, did I mention it's slow slow slow. The release updates that are inadequately tested. Then they're arrogant as hell about it. Don't even get me started on how painful, slow and counter-intuitive the backend is.

Response from Revel Systems

Hi Bob,

We would be happy to help you out, but unfortunately, cannot locate you based on the info in this review. We are sorry to hear you have had a poor experience.

We have been able to maintain prices significantly below industry alternatives for an extended period of time, but, as with any software subscription, we do periodically have to increase our price to continue to provide the service that you deserve as a loyal customer. We will continue to strive to deliver you the best features available at the lowest possible price.

We are happy to set up a time to hear your feedback directly -- please feel free to get in touch via [email protected].

Sarah, Customer Advocacy Manager at Revel

Replied 19/04/2018
Josh

Reviewed on 10/05/2017

An expensive

The Revel system is not for all businesses. The sales reps will tell you that the Revel system is capable of everything that all other POS systems will do. However to accomplish the same functions as others it is not as easy as they make it seem.

We have considered switching to an alternate POS system because the complicated structure of the Revel system takes quite a bit of work to manage.

Pros

The employee management features are good. It easy to create employee schedules and track employee profits and sales.

Cons

We switched to Revel from QuickBooks POS because we wanted to move to a cloud based POS. Our goal was to be able to manage our retail store and build an e-commerce business. We were told that the Revel system was capable of everything that QuickBooks POS did and much more. However, once we began building it out we quickly realized it was not capable of doing what the sales rep told us it would nor did it have many of the features we used in QB.

It took us nearly six months to completely rebuild our entire inventory system, because Revel did not support selling a single product by multiple units of measure (ex. soda by the can, case or 6 pack). Now that we finally have the system in place we've had problems with the inventory management system giving us false quantities resulting in over purchasing and/or running out of key products.

They also release new system updates and products every couple of months, however the new releases often have problems and many of the tech support personnel have no idea how to fix problems.

Clarice
  • Used for 6-12 months

Reviewed on 09/11/2017

A Nightmare...probably a good product but will take you almost a year to learn it.

Once we were able to talk to tier two people, things improved.

Pros

Lots of good reports ... if you finally figure out how to get to them.
Till is good. Lots of info in "University" must read it two or three times before it makes sense.

Cons

Labor intensive, requires many many steps to accomplish one thing. Has left our accounting in shambles
Unforgivable i.e If you make a mistake in entering purchase order, you can't fix it . It just stays there forever
"Integrate with QB' ... does not fully integrate...i.e does not integrate line for line
First Tier support only repeats what you tell them is the problem, no fixes
Took two weeks to get the wiring set up right d/t false directions from support
Has "Chat" but nobody chats... just refers you to something else

Response from Revel Systems

Hi Clarice,

I am sorry to hear that you have had some trouble learning Revel. Our platform is pretty robust and can definitely take some time to learn since there are over 500 settings to allow you to customize your point of sale. We highly recommend working with an account manager to optimize your setup and to help you achieve your overall business goals. That said, your feedback is being heard and appreciated.

In terms of editing Purchase Orders in Revel, POs are editable until they are Saved and Finalized - once you Finalize a PO, you cannot go back in and edit that PO, which is why the system asks you if you are sure you would like to Finalize. We do this, to provide peace of mind and safeguard you against behavior that could be flagged in an audit or employee theft.

There are definitely some language differences between QuickBooks Desktop/POS and Revel's integration. There are many unique properties in both platforms which can take some time to fully design, develop, test, and, then, implement. We are always open to feedback about specific features that are needed or functionality that could be improved! Please feel free to email your suggestions to me at [email protected]. Happy to set up some time to chat.

Best Regards,

Replied 15/11/2017
Brent

Reviewed on 03/02/2018

The worst multi-Store POS on the market

Do your homework first and be thorough. DO not believe everything they tell you. The salespeople are polished. Serious waste of time and money.

Pros

There are absolutely no Pros to this system. We installed in in June 2017, it is now February 2018 and we still have ongoing issues that are unresolved. The most recent is today with testing the "Online Store". The credit card batches do not match the bank deposits. Revel points at the cc merchant who in turn points back at Revel. Nothing resolved, and nobody will to take responsibility for it. Save your time and money, look for something else.

Cons

confusing, does not track inventory as it should, does not interface correctly with Quickbooks, support is the WORST. No help, we wasted thousands of dollars on this system.

Response from Revel Systems

Hi Brent,

I am really sorry to hear that you have had such a poor experience overall. I have taken a look at your ticket history and I do apologize that it looks like you encountered a bug. However, we are definitely working on the issue and as of 2/6 the issue has been resolved. Unfortunately with bugs fixes are not always immediate but we do attempt to push them through as quickly as possible. I can also see that our agents are waiting for the green light from you to integrate QuickBooks.

While I do apologize for the frustration you have experienced so far, our customer support teams are actively working with you and happy to assist you with your business objectives.

Replied 08/02/2018
Christoph

Reviewed on 04/10/2016

Innovative QSR POS solution, terrible customer service and poor reliability

Although it’s an innovative product, the quality of customer service is horrible. Three of our restaurants in Europe run on Revel and we have seen significant decrease in stability / consistency. Frequent updates in recent months have caused complete service failure during lunch time (as updates seem to come in at exactly that time). Our account manager is basically helpless, and can only offer us to pay hefty fees to their consultants as well as VIP services in order for us to get support. Far behind NetPos which we use in our other outlets!

We halted now the implementation of Revel across our 5 restaurants concepts with 70 outlets and are looking to switch to another provider. Further we tried to implement our mobile app with Revel’s API, turned out it is basically unusable at this stage due to limitation of calls we can make to it.

Pros

-Innovative cloud based solution
-Low Capex vs. other full fledged POS solutions
-Hardware can be purchased separate

Cons

-Poor reliability, frequent updates / changes to the system make it difficult to maintain. Updates which are not announced cause a lot of disruptions in restaurant
-Poor customer service
-API is poorly documented, limited calls allowed

Response from Revel Systems

Hello Chris,

I'm very sorry to hear that you're having a poor experience with your system and support. We definitely want to be sure to meet your customer service needs. I will be reaching out to you directly to learn more about how we can turn things around here. We're also happy to work with partners to increase API calls. We do set a limit at the outset of our relationship with our partners but we are always available to increase limits if we realize there is a specific need for one of our valued merchants. Revel's Business Development team will work with the partner providing you the integrated service to find an immediate solution. Thank you for sharing your feedback and for bringing it to our attention.

Sarah, Community Manager, Revel Systems

Replied 07/10/2016

Reviewed on 05/07/2016

Using Revel to manage all of my point of sale needs and back office systems

Revel has been the second POS system I have implemented in my business and it will be the last one for various benefits it has given me compared to previous systems. It is reliable! If there are internet connection problems for either transactions or merchant card processing,

Pros

Cloud based, so I can access settings and live information from anywhere. Various modifiable functionalities. Back end reporting is extensive with multiple breakdowns of information available which helps me analyze my business' performance. Tech support are determined to help solve every call. They follow up to ensure things are running well. Very happy with the tech support for any small or large issue.

Cons

It takes a little while to learn how to get around the back office management platform and to be able to fine tune all the settings for your particular business processes. Tech support are always happy to help me find what I need and/or help fix whatever settings might be in question.

Thomas

Reviewed on 07/11/2017

Had to get rid of system after 2 years - integration problems with Apple updates. Constant...

It was a learning experience for sure.

Pros

Easy to add specials and new items, great to check sales and labor costs on my phone wherever I was. Light weight - easy to use.

Cons

Terminals went out of sync with each other and caused major problems with ordering and reports, affected customer service. Every time Apple does an update the system does not work (2-3 times a year). Customer service is not much of a help. We had to remove the system after 2 years we had so many problems. They still send me daily reports a year later after we cancelled with them.

Response from Revel Systems

Hi Thomas,

I am really sorry that you had such a poor experience. We have listened to our customers' feedback and we have increased our Beta testing to mitigate potential bugs in conjunction with software releases. Unfortunately, we cannot control Apple's releases, but do our best to time releases with theirs. Your feedback is appreciated.

Replied 21/11/2017
Guy

Reviewed on 15/06/2023

A great system for our needs and wonderful sales and implementation team!

I have a hodgepodge of software doing different things and using different printers...Revel Up has integrated all my systems into one system and one set of printers

Pros

Having detailed and well-thought-out software with lots of controls and options has made our business run much better.

Cons

I can't close out and email an invoice from the POS system...It lists payment as "deposit " instead of paid.

Reviewed on 24/11/2017

de la mer experience with Revel

Pros

- Only iPad POS system on the market (as far as I know) that can deal with items priced by weight.
- constant improvements on software being done (both UI and management consol)
- enterprise management system that allows the management of multiple business units.
- excellent 24hr/day technical support
- a lot of flexibility in the system

Cons

- lack of stability with Moneris pin pad integration, ongoing issue of POS and pin pad not communicating at random.
- difficult to find how to do certain functions in the management consol (not intuitive - for example searching for a subject through what seems like appropriate keys words will not allows bring up the items)
- product costs not linked to inventory costs

Gaylene

Reviewed on 06/10/2018

Not at all good

THIS SYSTEM DOES NOT WORK

Pros

Equipment looks nice and this is about all I can say about Revel. They do answer the phone when you call not that they are of any help.

Cons

This system will stop working right when your trying to make a sale. We have lost several sales because of this. When you call Revel they blame it on TSYS and Freedom pay and tell you they don’t know what is wrong. But they will work on it and it could take 3-5 days to fix. Maybe they can fix it “Maybe “. Don’t waste thousands on this System.
Combat Defense Systems
Fayetteville NC

Response from Revel Systems

Thanks for your feedback, Gaylene. We're very sorry to hear about the recent difficulties you've had processing payments. We understand how frustrating it can be to lose business because of issues beyond your control. Our support team is aware of the payment processing issue and, in addition to a short-term fix, is working diligently with our partners to identify a long-term solution.

Replied 15/10/2018