Todoist Reviews

About Todoist

Todoist is a to-do list and task manager for professionals and small businesses. Combining tasks, projects, comments, attachments, notifications, and more, Todoist lets users streamline their personal and team productivity and...

Browse Todoist Reviews

2,373 of 2,374 reviews
Rikaz
Rikaz

Reviewed on 09/05/2022

An essential organization tool for self and teams!

Todoist has been a pleasure to use and I can't recommend it enough especially as a starting app for your teams.

Pros

Todoist has multiple features which make it easy to use.

The mobile app is minimal in design and easy to navigate. Setting up a task and sub-tasks, adding members, communicating with the team, & managing projects is just so easy. On Android there is even a widget to directly add tasks to the app.

The web app is equally up to the task of it's Android cousin having nearly all the features of the Android App.

Cons

Being a freemium service, Todoist requires users to pay for their premium services as well as being limited to 5 active projects, 5 collaborators per project, & 5 MB file uploads in the free version.

Any.do

Reasons for Choosing Todoist

Todoist user interface was easier to use.

Any.do

Reasons for Switching to Todoist

Todoist takes the lead due to it's ease of use and better user interfaces.
Jeremy
Jeremy
  • Industry: Media Production

Reviewed on 01/12/2022

Todoist: The Best Task Management App?

As self-employed creative professional, Todoist has greatly aided me in keeping track of disparate projects. Quick overviews, assigned tasks and reminders help me to get the job done, and not get overwhelmed.

Pros

The Todoist interface is attractive, and a real breeze to use. Being able to assign and add sub-tasks, plus things like Productivity visualizations make it a true productivity tracking app.

Cons

There could be stronger visual cues for when sub-tasks exist within a task.

monday.com and Asana

Reasons for Choosing Todoist

Asana's interface was too cluttered and confusing.

Reasons for Switching to Todoist

The free version of Todoist offered everything I needed, even with the free version.
Naomi
  • Industry: Building Materials

Reviewed on 16/01/2024

Nice software to track your tasks

Pros

Nice software to track your tasks.
You can share the files with your colleagues for projects management.

Cons

I don’t dislike anything in particular, it’s a good software.

Top Todoist Alternatives

Laura
  • Industry: Media Production

Reviewed on 10/09/2019

Easy To Use, Not So Easy To Organice

The founder of the company really likes it to keep track of what everyone is doing so I've been using it for the last 5 months (since I started in this company).
But anyway, I actually keep using the Notes App on Mac which is really similar to Todoist but I can keep my tasks private - which is something I wish I could do on Todoist, not sure if there is a way already but it's not very clear who can see what.

Pros

Me and my team really like how easy to use it is.
It helps keeping track of what needs o be done and lets other people know what's been completed.
It doesn't over complicate things and it's really good that you can have it on your phone and get updates on notifications.

Cons

I get that keeping it simple must be the main idea behind this app. However, I'd appreciate if some hierarchy could be applied when organising the tasks.
The way to organise projects on the left part could be, for example, group into folders so once a project is finished you could, for example, move it to an archive folder.

All the Karma points system and the notifications is a bit confusing or just not clear enough. Is it just to cheer you up when you've completed many tasks or has it got any actual purpose?

But the most important: I wish tasks wouldn’t disappear from my inbox right when I complete them.
I wish I could still see them (maybe in a lighter grey colour) so I see what I've completed and then I could manually move them into a project folder when I don't want to see them anymore.

Also, I'd appreciate if some type of colour coding could be applied in some way.

Jae
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Reviewed on 20/11/2023

Todoist: The Task Management Across All Platforms.

I have able to use Todoist for years and NEVER missed a beat of Task that I am Working On.

Pros

The Cost and the EASE of USE! I was able to start using Immediately.

Cons

There is not anything that I dislike about this product and have been using for YEARS!

Craig
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Reviewed on 21/04/2023

Todoist - A flexible and value for money work and project management tool

Very positive real world use experience over the last few years and ensures nothing is missed or forgotten and all project/stakeholder requests/asks are quickly captured and integral to how my team operates.

Pros

The ease of use for creating different 'project' areas that have unique project stages and tasks. These projects can often be repetitive in approach and nature and the ability to create 'template' saves time, improves consistency and quality of project delivery and contributes to project delivery success.Integrations with other cloud tools/email provides greater flexibility and completeness ensuring all tasks are captured at point of creation and no requests/tasks are forgotten.

Cons

Nothing so far - very flexible tool, available across desktop/webapp/smart devices and the price is very good for smaller organisations and teams to have a very capable project/task management solution.

Microsoft Project and Slack

Reasons for Switching to Todoist

Overall, the flexibility and ease of use in creating workflow that fitted how my team works, the great pricing, integration options, ease of initial set up and the number of options for working with the product ensure access to the product and features are never far away.
Karen
Karen
  • Industry: Research

Reviewed on 04/10/2023

Excellent features and easy to use

Easy to use across every platform I have.

Pros

works across multiple platformsintegrates into other systems without needing admin rightsProvides a lot of functionality such as multiple lists, schedulingHas several different productivity systems built in that you can use and learn as you go along

Cons

I honestly cannot think of anything that needs improving!

• Industry: Hospitality

Reviewed on 04/10/2023

Really good to track personal goals

Really good, I use it for my personal tasks and business tasks when it's just me in charge of the tasks.

Pros

It's easy to use, intuitive and their free tier is a good fit for most of the people, also the paid tier really worth it

Cons

When using in big teams is not so easy to manage the tasks, it gets a little difficult and complex

Trello

Reasons for Switching to Todoist

Todoist free plan is really good and for personal uses i preferred Todoist. Also their mobile app is minimalist and really easy to use.
Luca
  • Industry: Machinery

Reviewed on 23/11/2023

Feature rich and with great APIS

Pros

I use Todoist to manage the topics to be discussed in my podcast. I have a shared list with my co-host which can be re-arranged live to compose our episodes. It was also super easy to use Todoist's APIs to have some data automatically added to our topic list.

Cons

I don't love the fact that (at least on the Mac) it's an electron-based app and not a native one.

Christopher
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

Reviewed on 30/11/2023

An honest and intelligent task management software

Overall my experience with the software is very good. It keeps me sane.

Pros

The simplicity of it, and how it is completely accessible through my keyboard.

Cons

Sometimes it can feel a little static. Not a very dynamic software. Task can feel like chores.

Scott

Reviewed on 01/08/2019

Intuitive product, quick to implement

I'm a proud premium member because the software does its job and doesn't get in my way. I use it for both my work and personal tasks, but separating the two out is really simple to do.

Pros

I've tried dozens of systems for my day-to-day tasks, and finally landed on Todoist a couple years ago. The natural language processing for entering in tasks makes it easy to type something in using the iOS app and pick up where I left off later on my Mac. Typing in a date automatically adds the date information, which means I can just type "add photo to new blog post tomorrow" and have the task on tomorrow's list without having to fiddle in menus.

As they say, it just works.

Cons

Things that "just work" tend to have their little nuances that mean sometimes it doesn't just work. Todoist is constantly pushing out updates behind the scenes through their server back-end, which means you're always on the latest version of the software even if you don't update the client software. Sometimes that means they move too fast and break things. There have been multiple occasions where the software suddenly doesn't work as expected and I have to wait a couple hours for them to push out a fix. Perhaps their testing procedures will meet enterprise expectations eventually, but this is normal for cloud services these days...

Kristen
  • Industry: Design

Reviewed on 03/12/2019

The perfect tool for keeping your to-do list organized

I use ToDoist to keep track of tasks sent to me by clients. I don't use it for project management, extensive notes, or workflow so much as a simple to-do list of projects that need to be completed. Sometimes you don't need to write a lot of details - you just need to be sure you do the task and todoist is the best software I have found for that. Love it!

Pros

I love how it's a no frills to-do list I can access on my computer and phone. I love being able to set up different projects, due dates, and sub tasks. It also helps me with my EOM invoicing so I know what I did for each client.

Cons

I wish I could get more features for free. The comment feature and ability to set reminders look great. Although, Todoist does send me an email every day letting me know what's on my list, so that is very helpful even without reminders.

Trello, Asana and Notion

Reasons for Choosing Todoist

Asana is a great tool for projects with deeper complexity, but there was too much to fill out and add when I just wanted to manage my tasks. Todoist is exactly what I was looking for.

Reasons for Switching to Todoist

Todoist was straightforward and non-distracting. It did exactly what I needed without me getting pulled into a rabbit hole of writing notes or project management when none was needed.
Yoana

Reviewed on 27/08/2020

Works really well until I had too many tasks and then...overwhelm!

I really like the interace and ease of use, it's one of my favorite apps in terms of the UI. It's a really quick setup, the fonts are clean and easy to read, the tags and projects are colored nicely, it just wasn't the app that helped me actually get things done.

Pros

While I was using this software, I really liked the sleek and modern interface to add new tasks. It was quick, easy, and the UI was awesome. I wish all task management apps had an UI like Todoist. The tagging feature was also super quick to add, which saves me time adding tasks.

The feature to reschedule tasks I didn't do based on the load for my week was good, not as good as Skedpal (which is why I switched) but better than I've seen in other task managemetn apps I've tried and used.

I also really liked the minimalism of the screen, I never felt that it was too clunky or too many options being displayed at once and overwhelming me.

Cons

The reason I switched is because I had so many tasks added in I became overwhelmed. This isn't necessarily the apps fault, I should add time in my calendar to do a weekly review, etc... but it just wasn't happening. I switched to SkedPal because it schedules the tasks for me on my calendar, ensuring I get them done. With ToDoist, if something didn't get done, I would have an overdue task, and then need to schedule it into my calendar myself and spend time figuring out what time slot, etc..., then go back to Todoist if the time didn't work out, etc... it wasn't flexible enough to auto schedule and place it on my calendar with the option to roll over to the next day if not completed. (At least at the time that I used it). If it's not on my calendar, it doesn't get done because other things will fill my calendar and then I'm out of time and my Todoist tasks are not completed.

Zeynel
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Reviewed on 24/02/2021

One of the sofware I wish I had been used before

I use Todoist for almost anything in my life. From managing complex project to editing watching, reading shopping list, to scheduling my workout plan to tracking my monthly progress and so on. I also use this software as a bookmark tool for something I need to watch, read or write later. It is like part of my life.

Pros

* It provides almost anything you expect from a productivity app.
* Not only does it help you to create or manage your task but it also motivate you with its feature of karma level.
* The feature of 2 way sync with Google Calendar is great. I can easily schedule my task and plan my day in a calendar, without even have to open Todoist. Being able to create new sub-calendar in your calendar for each project in Todoist, is even better.
* You can create sub-tasks in sub-task in a subs-task and so on. Moreover, for each sub-task, you can add due date, notes. And this feature is really precious while you working on complex project.
* Sorting and grouping features make task management more effective.
* There are shortcuts for almost all stuff. Just typing with keyboard, you can add task, set the due date and priority level and move it to any project. That makes editing projects even faster.
* There are board and list view options. It is really helpful while dealing with different types of projects.
* There are well-organized templates to create a project faster.
* You can create so many project and easily edit, sort, or group them.
* Scheduling options are more than enough. It is so powerful editing recurring tasks.
* Maybe some of the features require payment but I can't complain about it because it is not so expensive and it is effective enough without it premium feature.

Cons

* Although its 2-way sync with Calendars is really powerful, it would better if there was a calendar view option.
* Sometimes, there may be a sync problems with Calendar apps.
* I used to monitor multi-project in one screen. But I cannot do it anymore, after the new updates.
* There could be habit tracker option for recurring tasks .

• Industry: Management Consulting

Reviewed on 17/11/2021

Trailblazer

I really liked it. Todoist works exceptionally well, smooth like butter and does not get in the way of organizing your life. The minimalist design language was one of the first of its kind back when they first started out as an online-only service. In the meantime they have introduced native apps for all major platforms. Expect this to just work, and work well. Tags are an especially useful future as are priorities. This helps you see with a glance (or using a filtering function) what is relevant or important. Todoist is great if you want to adhere to the GTD philosophy or if you want to create your own customized system to manage your tasks. I have not used the collaborative function but would expect it to work well too.

Pros

Todoist has keyboard shortcuts down. That makes it easy and fast to navigate once you are familiar with it. Quick entry is easy and fast. The app gives you lots of ways to slice and dice your todo list, such as favorites, different priority levels and lables. Different views, such as a Kanban type of board can help organize and manage your task list. One thing that makes Todoist especially easy to use is that you can add tasks by email, you can add attachements (the word doc you need to read is right there).

Cons

I am not a fan of subscription services. The free version is great to test the service but too limited to use as daily driver. If you are ok with paying a monthly fee, then the 4$/month (3$ if you pay for the whole year upfront) is a reasonable ask. This and the sheer number of functions steered me towards an alternative as I was looking for something simpler. In my experience, more features just meant more distractions from actually checking off items on my task list.

OmniFocus and Things

Reasons for Switching to Todoist

In the end I chose an alternative to Todoist, as I am no fan of subscription services and rather pay once for a product, knowing I can use it as long as it still works with the OS I am using. But had it not been for that Todoist would have beat out Things by Cultured Code. The reason being that there are some more functionalities and the ease of use with keyboard on a computer is the best I know of.
Jaden

Reviewed on 25/10/2022

Simplicity, Speed, & Ease Of Use

Pros

What makes Todoist stand out is it's streamlined design. The design itself is minimal and clean. You organize tasks into projects, and those projects can be organized into sub-projects. One of it's best features is natural language input: you can set the due date, priority, project, labels, and more all in the name of the task. This makes it super fast to create & edit tasks, and makes it easy to get ideas out of your head and into Todoist.

Cons

The one feature I want Todoist to have is custom features. At the moment you can create "filters", which allow you to show tasks filtered by due date, project, label, etc. However the tasks always show up in a list style view. I would love it if you could display the filter in an alternate view such as a kanban board, or any of the other views offered by ClickUp's dashboards or Notion's database views.

Shanna
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Reviewed on 06/01/2020

Todoist: Where My Professional and Personal Lives Meet

Todoist is reliable, simple and collaborative. It's less glitchy than other options, and has streamlined my life so now I can spend more time knocking out my tasks and less time prioritizing work and personal tasks through multiple different systems.

Pros

The Projects Feature is the absolute best part of Todoist! I was working between a few different programs (Outlook, Google Tasks, Google Notes, Smartsheet and Evernote), and needed one central place to keep notes and to-do lists for my personal and professional life. The collaboration tools allow me and my coworkers to share notes and to-do lists on joint projects, and me and and my husband to share home renovation punch lists and store to-buy lists, all in one central place. My life feels so much more streamlined since making the switch!

Cons

Since I've worked with so many different programs, I do miss certain functionalities of other programs: the Gantt-style like Smartsheet offers, the ability to sync with my email as seamlessly as Google and Outlook, and task contingency so that not all "to-dos" are shown at once, but overall I landed on Todoist due to it's simple interface and introducing any of the those features would take away from that.

The one thing I would change for new users is that it's simple, but not intuitive to schedule recurring tasks. I had to Google the answer, and while it's easy (simple typing "every Monday" after the task does the trick) it seems like putting an icon would have been a no-brainer.

Norzihan
Norzihan
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Reviewed on 11/02/2021

Simple tools, but effective

Staying focus on task in hand and know which task needed to be complete first help me to expedite my work load and keep everything is in order within the time frame. It has help with my time managing and i would love to recommend Todoist to every team to try it.

Pros

Using Todoist to managing daily task and to-do list and to automatically notify me of my pending task is very easy to do with this software. Todoist really simplifying my work process and letting me to planning my work and task for the next 7 days. Delegating task in project to my team members can be done simply by giving them access to the project.

Cons

I will be ineffective to execute a complex project with Todoist, as they are missing some critical project management feature like agile kanban board that i need for collaborating project cross department. The emojis in the chat is not necessarily useful and should be replace with other useful feature.

Reviewed on 19/04/2019

Streamlined Planning on All Devices

I used Todoist a few years back and loved it. I then switched to a different platform for one reason or another, but ended up coming back to Todoist for its ease of use and ability to have recurring tasks. I use it for my personal tasks as well as for my business tasks.

Pros

I use Todoist for both my personal task manager as well as my business task manager. I'm a work-from-home mom with a growing business and I like that I can seamlessly use this for ANY task I need to complete. I am able to put household chores, personal projects and work projects all in one. It allows me to organize and categorize all of my to-dos I add.

I love that I can have this on my desktop, tablet and phone and they seamlessly update constantly. It helps me know what needs to be done wherever I am.

The other thing that I absolutely LOVE and saves me tons of time is that I can make some tasks recurring. I am able to add weekly, daily or monthly tasks to my to-do list. This has helped me so I never forget a task or skip doing things that come up just once in a while.

When life gets really busy, and unexpected things come up I can easily change my tasks to a different due date. This makes a world of difference in actually getting my tasks done. Instead of having a to-do list a mile long, I can re-prioritize what I have left and add it to different days as needed.

Cons

My only complaint is that I'm not able to see what I've checked off in the free version. Sometimes a task will get accidentally bumped and marked as done on my phone, and I have no way of going back to retrieve what it was without paying.

The other thing I wish there was in this software was a way to add these items to my calendar. I use Google Calendars, and it would be really nice to be able to take a task and place it on my calendar schedule as well to keep my life super organized.

Reviewed on 14/04/2022

The Task Manager you'll actually want to use

My overall experience with Todoist is great. In search of more complex features, I tried many other alternatives, but in the end I found myself always coming back here. Its ease and pleasantness of use are something I cannot do without.

Pros

I have tried tons of project management and task management solutions but this is by far my favorite.
The interface is clear and simple to use, always responsive and reliable.
My favorite feature? The automatic recognition of the task information from the entered text. This is literally the feature I want in every other project management platform and the one that always keeps me coming back to Todoist. The simplicity with which I can write "Do this tomorrow at 12:00 #projectname @label" and the system automatically puts everything in its place ... I can't help it.

Cons

Although Todoist's greatest strength is its ease of use, in the professional world sometimes you feel the need for a few more features. A more granural sharing system, multi-step activity status management, different views for the activity list, gantt charts, etc.).
There are many things that could be added and that many other more complete project management platforms offer.

monday.com, ClickUp and Wrike

Better overall User Experience

Reviewed on 08/01/2023

Excellent task-tracking for individual and small teams

I've used Todoist for tracking personal tasks, joint projects with another person, and start-up projects with small teams - in all cases it has been great for the job so far. For larger groups or more developed projects I can appreciate why teams would migrate to something more feature like Jira or Asana, but I don't think that's the market segment Todoist is aiming to address at the moment.

Pros

- Parsing and recognition of due dates, priorities, projects and tagged users is almost flawless and really speeds up task creation, especially the amount of flexibility in specifying due dates and recurring tasks.- Multiple views for projects allows the tool to be adapted for each - simple task lists, hierarchal lists, and even a kanban-style view.- The combo of labels and custom filters can be very powerful if you're willing to invest a bit of setup time.

Cons

- Over the last year or two Todoist have moved more features behind paywalls - not a problem for commercial users, but I don't like how it will be impacting individual users or start-up teams using the free version.- Release quality/QA isn't the highest. Bugs are usually fixed quickly, but more of them make it into production briefly that I would expect.

Yaroslav
  • Industry: Higher Education

Reviewed on 09/05/2018

Your personal assistant everyday, everywhere || Best portable task manager

Pros

*Flexibility
You can use browser, android, ios, windows, mac device, apple watch, android wear or even use a gmail or outlook.
Todoist is right there for you.

*UI
It has the most welcoming UI of all todo managers. Of course, tastes are different. But I believe, no-one would disagree that Todoist is well made and developed with Love.

*Scalability and features

No being a full scale CRM does not stop Todoist from having everything you might want to have for your everyday simple lists, reminders and tasks. Todoist offers such features as a great approach to structure of tasks, flawless work on the prioritizing tasks and creating simple lists.

*Integrations and little things
Todoist offers a broad range of features out of the box, such as projects, links as tasks, scheduling and calendar integration.

You always forget to pick up or buy something. Or want to prepare for the day by creating a simple todo - this app is for YOU.

Cons

1. More integrations needed. First of all calendars - at the moment the work there is mostly messy and is not optimized. It would be nice to have it in a compact and comfortable tab (calendar tab) and also add calendars on the go and display tasks or meeting in todoist. That would be a huge leap ahead.

2. Pricing of Todoist is not smart, to my humble opinion. First of all, they don't offer monthly payments, why not? Yes, I agree it's cheaper to pay for a year. But what if I am not sure. There are many todo apps and the pricing might be the only thing that would stop people from using todoist constantly, students for example. Would it not be nice to have more flexibility and options there.

• Industry: Internet

Reviewed on 20/08/2019

Good Basic Program, but Better w/ Premium

Todoist has been a solid task tracker for our company since we started using it more consistently. The ability to share and assign tasks has definitely improved our communication and organization. The key is to have every member of your group task list buy into the system or it becomes virtually ineffective. The paid features give this application a leg up on competitor applications such as Google Keep.

Pros

The Todoist application is a great way to get organized on a personal or company level. With shared task lists, you can easily communicate or assign daily tasks to other individuals in your group for effortless productivity tracking. Even using the basic, unpaid version, you can assign individual tasks to different users in your group with specific due dates so that everyone can stay on the same page without additional messaging or communication. The corresponding mobile application is free works and syncs automatically with your desktop account. The operation of mobile is very similar to the desktop version, which makes for an easy transition between devices.

Cons

Like many applications, you do not get a majority of the higher quality features unless you paid for an annual license. For example, you are not able to view completed tasks unless you upgrade to the paid version, which can make task completion tracking very difficult. Another problematic design characteristic of this application is that it automatically sends you notifications for all uncompleted tasks linked to your account. While this is a preferred feature for individual lists, it is the default setting for group lists as well. This means that if you do not meticulously assign each task to an individual when that task is created in a group list, you will receive all notifications for that entire list, which can get very overbearing.

• Industry: Mining & Metals

Reviewed on 15/02/2023

Todoist Review

Todoist is a solid task management and productivity application, offering a simple interface and useful reminder functionality. However, the free version is a bit limited in terms of features, and some aspects of the interface could be improved. Overall, it's an excellent choice for users looking to organize their tasks and projects efficiently.

Pros

I used Todoist for 4 months to manage my creative projects, increase my productivity, and keep track of my daily tasks. I must say that I am very satisfied with this application. The interface is simple and easy to use, and I can create task lists and projects very easily. The reminder feature is an excellent addition that helped me not to forget anything and to meet my deadlines.I also enjoyed the collaboration feature, which allowed me to work with my colleagues and track their tasks. I was able to integrate Todoist with other applications that I use daily, such as Google Calendar and Slack, for optimal productivity.

Cons

I used Todoist to manage my projects and daily tasks for several months, and I must say there are a few aspects that I did not like. First, although the interface is simple and easy to use, it can sometimes feel a bit limited. I would like to be able to customize the appearance of my task lists more and add more detailed notes for each task.Additionally, while the reminder feature is useful, it can sometimes be a bit too insistent. I received several notifications for tasks that were not urgent or important, which made managing my tasks more difficult.Finally, I find that the free version of Todoist is a bit limited in terms of features. To access some advanced features, such as long-term planning and custom filters, it is necessary to upgrade to the paid version.

Maciej

Reviewed on 13/02/2020

The best to-do list management app.

I am using Todoist for years now (since 2015 AFAIK) for day-to-day tasks and small projects. It is just fantastic. Maybe it would be even better if it had more integrations with CRM software out there (I use Freshsales), because I am still to find a CRM that manages to-dos in a manner Todoist does.

Pros

It's multiplatform, instant to use, mobile widget helps planning tasks on the go. Integration with google calendar is stellar. Natural language functionality is one feature that speeds things up a lot. The best task management app should help save time ans maximize productivity. Todoist does exactly that and does it very well.

Cons

Windows 10 desktop app is not up to par (unless something has changed in the last few months). The solution was to install the legacy app instead (much better) or just use your browser. I ended up using Shift (app that manages other apps) and it integrates with todoist seamlessly. Could not be happier.