About Praxis EMR

Praxis is an electronic health record (EHR) platform that offers both web-based and on-premise deployment. The Praxis EHR system is template-free, instead utilizing artificial intelligence (AI) that learns the way each...

Browse Praxis EMR Reviews

Julius U.

Reviewed on 19/02/2020

Best EMR for the money

I have used numerous EMR system in the past. In the clinic alone, this the third one we used. Praxis cuts back on my documentation time to less than an hour a day which is pretty good considering that I see > 20 patient a day. Technical support is outstanding. Very welcoming, friendly and knowledgeable.

Pros

Functionalities that you can tailor to your needs. Live Technical support in case you need one.

Cons

The first week of use requires building your knowledge base and can be challenging. However, as created two or three documents, it gets easier every time.

Todd W.

Reviewed on 27/05/2021

OUTSTANDING EMR for ANY Medical Practice ...BUT...GAME-CHANGING for Physical Medicine and...

Please look at the reviews of ALL OTHER EMRs and answer THESE QUESTIONS......

why does this EMR have such a high percentage of 5/5 Ratings and 10/10 would recommend to others????

what makes this EMR so different that it gets such high UNSOLICITED / ORGANIC ratings???

why is that THIS EMR has so many in depth and lengthy GLOWING reviews written by other physicians???

why have I not arranged a demo with PRAXIS??? LOL

PRAXIS IS BY FAR THE BEST DYNAMIC CONCEPT PROCESSING EMR I HAVE EVER SEEN. It's design protects me from lawsuits because it's not template driven, it's design learns how I practice medicine and not only progressively improves my notes on the fly but improves the quality of medicine that I provide to my patients, it's design saves me HOURS and HOURS of charting time....DAILY!!!

Even after watching the Demo and spending countless hours asking questions, I was terrified to pull the trigger on this EMR because EMRs were just one of those things that would NEVER come thru on ANY of the material benefits we had all been promised.

....so glad I pushed thru that fear, BEST DECISION I HAVE EVER MADE!!!

Pros

MOST????

REALLY????

I will say this. I have always been one to call tech support for which ever EMR I was currently using to inquire if this or that were possible and as often as I have been told by all the others, "that would be a great idea but, currently it is not possible and I don't think it's on the docket to be implemented" is as frequently as I have called product support at Praxis ( a real person answers the phone EVERY TIME ) only to be told......"Let me show you how we do that in Praxis."

I have YET to call to inquire about the best approach to doing something to hear tech support tell me, "ooh sorry, you can't do that on this EMR".

The CEO of PRAXIS is a PHYSICIAN. PRAXIS is his LEGACY to his profession. He has designed and built this EMR FOR PHYSICIANS and PATIENTS with the intent of assisting physicians in providing the highest quality of care possible, always keeping in mind the facilitation of the documentation process to provide the highest level of protection for the provider and protecting each physician's most valuable asset.....TIME!!!!

I have always been a doc that has wanted to improve the process, thus all the calls to tech support. Every time I call and speak to the CEO about an issue I have discovered with Praxis, he routinely says......

"Dr. W.....LET ME SHOW YOU HOW TO DO THAT IN PRAXIS"

I have yet to find a glaring deficiency. FINALLY AN EMR THOUGHTFULLY DESIGNED BY A PHYSICIAN!!!

Cons

HONESTLY......

ONLY REGRET......

is that this was not my first EMR 25 years ago.

MedPointe, Jane and athenaOne

Reasons for Choosing Praxis EMR

Facilitating the production of a superior quality note. Decreasing after hour charting time requirements. Dynamic Concept Processing EMR that adapts and improves with each encounter. Inherent design structure that protects me medico-legally. Ability to embed discreet variables in all aspects of the documentation process. The ability to SHARE ASSESSMENTS with other physicians enabling researchers the ability to build a "Research Assessment" containing specific research questions, layering those question onto each physicians unique note and then allow the research team to anonymously cull the responses to their questions in real time. Mind Boggling flexibility in each physicians unique approach to charting so as to allow countless numbers of ways to complete a unique progress note according to each physicians customized design. AGENTS........ Holy smokes..... just not enough time in the day to go thru everything..... SUFFICE IT TO SAY.... this EMR deserves your most focused scrutiny.... NOT FOR MY SAKE, FOR YOURS!!!

athenaOne and Amazing Charts

Reasons for Switching to Praxis EMR

For all the same reasons I made the switch.
Tina G.

Reviewed on 29/09/2020

Praxis EMR first 4 months

Frustrating training. Very slow. Not consistent. Very robust in what it can do. But I think it will take me a while until I get to the point that I can really appreciate it. The concept pf the processer is great.

Pros

It is different in that every thing is set up in one page for a SOAP note instead of having different windows for the note, the diagnosis , meds, etc. This is easier than flipping around the chart. Also, when you put something in the note, such as the prescription, or a referral, it sends it when you close the note. So you aren't having to do something twice.

Cons

It is different as it is set up so the processor needs to "learn" what you do to help you write notes. You have a full note available and then activate or deactivate what pertains. Unfortunately the Plan section is a little disjointed and doesn't have this ability. In fact that is one of the most annoying things that there is not one consistent way to do things. Some processes take one click , some take two, some you check "ok" and some you click "enter". There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason. And my training had no idea why it is like that or how to help me know which way other than wrote memory. So the training is very uphill and the setting up of "assessments", their idea of templates, is very cumbersome. So I think that once I get there, it will be very useful . The other big downfall is that it is runs very slow. They recently migrated to Postgress to fix this, but I don't see a difference except there seem to be fewer crashes.

Top Praxis EMR Alternatives

Jeremy G.

Reviewed on 31/03/2022

The Best EMR, hands down

Hands down the best EMR there is. There is no 2nd place contender. Praxis saves me a ton of time all the time. When I get a scribe, it will make my scribe even faster compared to other EMRs.

Pros

Praxis is OUTSTANDING EMR that was designed from the ground up by doctors, for doctors (and for other providers in general). I have used Epic, Cerner, CPRS, Athena, and a few others. Praxis is radically different than all of these. The others are more like word processors built for billing. Not Praxis--Praxis approaches notes the way a doctor would, and it's very obvious from the first screens you view. It saves me so much time and I know it will save my future scribes time compared to other EMR. Customer support is excellent and I ALWAYS get a phone call back soon or 1:1 training from Praxis' trainers. Truly a well run company with amazing software.

Cons

Praxis truly excels in all departments. There are some points that I can think of that can be improved, but the amazing thing is the [SENSITIVE CONTENT] actually talked to me for 2 hours about points of improvement and things that they are working on. Do you know any other [SENSITIVE CONTENT] from Epic, or Cerner, or anywhere else that will personally sit down and talk to you and train you? No, you don't--and you never will. Only Praxis cares about your experience.

Heidi H.

Reviewed on 10/12/2019

Best in the industry!

No more lost charts, messaging and prescriptions are a breeze. The price is affordable even for a solo practitioner like myself. Made the investment of having them come out to help me set up my system which was a game changer. I was up and running full speed within just a few days. Praxis support has always been quick to any issue that arises. I migrated to the cloud version which allows me to easily access charts from my phone, tablet or computer from anywhere I have a connection. It

Pros

I have used several EMRs in my medical career and nothing comes close to allowing me to practice medicine in an efficient way like Praxis does. I am in command of my charts much like a paper chart but with the practicality of EMR. My templates can be updated and changed with ease even from a current patient visit. No more calling tech support to change something that is not quite right about an encounter template, I can adjust it easily in real time. When we do have tech issues, they are quickly on the case to resolve any issues. I use the cloud version so I can access from any location. It is so fast to use that I am done with charting when the patient leaves the room. It is obvious that it was created by a practitioner, who knows what functions we need to practice more efficiently. They continue to make improvements to Praxis and use customer feedback to enhance version updates. Cannot say enough about Praxis!

Cons

none - It's so robust I am still learning all the functionality

David G.

Reviewed on 24/06/2019

Best EMR for customization

With Praxis we are able to maintain independence and get the data we need to take care of our patients excellently while still providing big data answers to Medicare programs and insurers

Pros

Having been involved in implementation of 3 separate EMRs, Praxis satisfies all my requirements the best. It allows me to write intelligible notes that specialists and my co-workers can use, while tracking data in the way that suits the practice at the time (which changes frequently based on medical, government, ACO and insurance evolution). Praxis is my tool for tracking information the way I and others need to, while practicing and charting in a way which makes sense to me.

Cons

I wish the local hospitals were also on Praxis!

Alkesh A.

Reviewed on 31/12/2021

The Ultimate EMR

Praxis: Easy to implement. Easy to learn. Easy to use. Easy to comply with MIPS and MACRA requirements. Saves time and allows us to practice quality medicine.

Pros

I have been in practice for the last 27 years and Praxis is my 4th EMR and so far the best one. Praxis is very affordable which is very important for smaller practices. Starting from an implementation to training, Praxis team was exceptional. Having a designated contact person was very helpful during the first few months to help resolve any unexpected issues in a timely manner. Learning curve with Praxis is much gentler and easier compared to other EMRs. Praxis allows you to document the way your mind thinks and practice the way you once dreamed about. Praxis will allow you to provide quality care and meet all necessary guidelines which will result in better reimbursement over time.

Cons

Lack of its own faxing solution and hope that Praxis will have its own integrated faxing solution in future

Amor M.

Reviewed on 05/06/2019

Non-Template Based EMR that is customizable just for my needs

I was in a group practice for 5 years until I resigned last September. During the 5 years in my former group, I was burdened by using E-clinical works - a template based EMR that I absolutely loathed.

As an epileptologist, many of my cases have complicated neurological histories that do not necessary fit with a template based EMR documatation. In addition, many of my orders are the same for each patient yet, with E clinical works, I would have to click on the same orders over and over again - wasting time that would accrue over the busy day. Some of the layout of my notes was confusing with a lot of extraneous information added to notes automatically - that had no bearing on the patient care.

When I started my new practice, I absolutely did not want to have a template-based system. Lo and behold, I came across Praxis. When I did the demo, it was great that Dr. Loh himself (the CEO and a fellow physician) showed me many of the unique features of Praxis.

For the most part, I am so impressed by the concept processor in that many of my cases are somewhat similar to each other in terms of the orders. If I see a case, I automatically just click on the assessment that I have set up for other similar cases and boom - my note automatically populates with the wording and phrasology that I would normally use. I just have to modify some of the details and I save a lot of time this way than having to write the same history over and over again - as I did with Eclinical works.

Pros

- Ease of Use
- Customizable
- Saves Time

I am very happy with the template-free service. The cost is less than other EMRs (though this is not all in one EHR - I use Open Practice Solutions/Open PM as a practice management system that easily integrates with Praxis - still saving compared to Athena or other comprehensive EHR systems).

Customer service is second to none especially with the initial "go live" team.

Cons

nothing so far. I am very happy with Praxis at this time.

DrChrono, athenaOne, Practice Fusion and MEDENT

Reasons for Switching to Praxis EMR

non template based system designed by physicians that works for physicians - not billers/administrators who are non-healthcare professionals
Frederick M.

Reviewed on 05/08/2019

Updated Praxis Review

Being a direct primary care practice, Praxis allowed great flexibility with documentation with the practice.

Pros

Software adapts each time you use it, learning from each note. Very attentive customer support. User friendly and intuitive. Personalized notes without templates. Great for DPC practices who don't need practice management software.

Cons

I can't think of any negatives, it works well across all types of practices.

Prime Suite

Reasons for Choosing Praxis EMR

Athena was too expensive to operate. Fees were high.

athenaOne

Reasons for Switching to Praxis EMR

Praxis was more intuitive and learned with each use.
Ajeeb T.

Reviewed on 02/06/2020

Praxis Great EMR for the Private Practioner and primary care medicine

Reduced time for documentation and patient charting!

Pros

Easy to use documentation of patient visit notes and billing codes and procedures done as well.

Cons

I have it interphasing with our billing software and the electronic prescription of controlled software

eClinicalWorks

Reasons for Choosing Praxis EMR

I started on my own from a hospital practice.

SyncHR

Reasons for Switching to Praxis EMR

I own the product and host it on my own server which I prefer and also cost was more attractive and the reviews were good for Family Practice for the product!
Stephen M.

Reviewed on 25/05/2021

Comparison of EMR's

To have been so fortunate to have been able to first use then compare Praxis to the EMR's used by the clinics that I've worked out of but let me use Praxis has really opened my eyes to what make a great EMR

Pros

Praxis (an EMR/ EHR, developed by a practicing doctor) thinks like a doctor, the best example that I give, is, I took over a retiring physicians practice, upon seeing one of his patients, I turned to the paper note which simply read;
"Diabetes, well controlled"
Interesting enough, upon turning to the lab section of the paper chart, I saw a signed and dated lab sheet that read;
-A1c 6.8
-renal function (all within normal vaules)
-Ldl was 68

Next, turning to the Specialist tab, I found, once again, a signed and dated ophthalmologist note that denoted a normal retinal exam, while the podiatric exam also was normal.

For Dr Tate, "Diabetes, well controlled", meant the A1c was < 7, the renal function was normal, an up to date and normal diabetic eye and feet exam had recently been done. It also represented the normal review of system, examination, Assessment and Plan.

Unlike template EM/EHR's, Praxis, documents the way a doctor thinks, imagine an EMR that upon picking the Assessment; "Diabetes, well controlled", then prints out all the above, including all the CPT's and ICD codes (all at the speed of thought) (not taking 6 clicks to simply send a referral), sending the billing, referrals and lab orders

I'm currently in a very unique position, the company I work for, uses "Epic" (there is now way it was developed by a doctor, it takes several clicks and each click is taking your doctor away from facing the patient) to write one prescription, a good EMR does not, Praxis does not

Cons

It's hard for me to really give a negative statement about Praxis (remember, in the last three years, I've had to use three different EMR's that are used in the hospitals, SNF or adjoining clinics, Praxis is so head and shoulders above (it's almost laughable seeing there inefficiencies)

Todd W.

Reviewed on 11/10/2020

More than 6 months of intensely scrutinizing multiple EMRs ===> PRAXIS IS HEADS ABOVE ALL...

As an FP that has a 100% Osteopathic Manipulation Practice, I consider myself to be a specialist and as such, most of the information I collect is very specific. I have been able to tailor PRAXIS to enable me to collect very specific information from each specific patient for each specific complaint to enable me to fully document the specifics of each condition being treated and be able to track the changes as treatment progresses. And the BEST PART..... PRAXIS makes this incredibly easy to do even in real time, while the patient is in front of me still affording me sufficient time to treat the patient and schedule a followup in a 30 min visit. Utilizing the Concept Processor in PRAXIS, I can focus on my HPI and changes that have occurred since the last visit and once I choose my ASSESSMENT, which most of us have already started developing a differential of before even entering the exam room, PRAXIS already has 90% of the rest of the note completed. I have worked with a slew of other EMRs and have NEVER been able to accomplish this on any other platform which have all relegated me to taking a grossly abbreviated HPI that would need to be substantially bolstered upon which I would subsequently have to complete the rest of the note.

One of the more AMAZING parts of using PRAXIS is that this EMR GROWS WITH YOU. It changes on the fly to adapt to the progressive changes you make in the ways you practice medicine. WHAT COULD POSSIBLY BE BETTER THAN THAT???

Pros

PRAXIS has met all CMS Certifications from it's inception and continues to meet all evolving CMS Certifications including HITECH Certification and ONC-ATCB Meaningful Use Certification.

PRAXIS is THE MOST UNIQUE and ADAPTIVE EMR I have ever seen... (Concept Processing - AMAZING)
- PRAXIS gets better at autopopulating your note every time you use it
- PRAXIS will actively remind you and queue you to .... ask specific questions for each condition being assessed/ perform assessment specific procedures / script assessment specific medications / schedule Automation of Health Screening Recommendations.....AND SO MUCH MORE

PRAXIS allows you to embed easily selectable discreet variables into all all aspects of charting including HPI Collection, Physical Exam, Procedure Documentation, and Post-Visit Instructions and others......

Your note is 90% complete once you determine your assessment or even your treatment.

PRAXIS facilitates clinical research secondary to the ability to embed discreet variables and query the results of each embedded variable...... As an Osteopathic Physician practicing 100% Osteopathic Manipulation, this simple fact caused some palpitations. One of the toughest things facing my profession is substantiating the benefits of Osteopathy. I have absolutely no doubts that I am providing substantial benefit to my patients and I am confident that they will echoe me on this. Thanks to PRAXIS, my profession finally ......cont below in Cons......

Cons

SIMPLY THAT I DIDN'T FIND IT FIRST..... OH HOW I WISH THIS HAD BEEN MY FIRST EMR

The old saying that anything that is worthwhile is worth the effort is certainly true. I am incredibly thankful for the downtime afforded me by COVID because I was busier catching up on my billing and notes from my previous EMR and searching for a new EMR than I was when I was working two full time jobs and it is likely that I would not have been able to carve that time out under any other conditions.

I had settled on two other EMRs before buying PRAXIS, ONLY BECAUSE I HAD NOT SEEN PRAXIS YET and neither of those other EMRs were CEHRT / HITECH / ONC-ATCB Certified.

Being BRUTALLY HONEST.... the front end learning curve on this EMR is definitely steeper than most BUT you will reap the rewards in SPADES for the rest of your professional career. The Training Staff is OUTSTANDING and AVAILABLE, that's right, I said...... A V A I L A B L E and O U T S T A N D I N G

AND YES..... I understand that this is where I'm supposed to be discussing the CONS.......

cont from PROS:.... has a platform to be able to conduct broad evidence based research studies to be able to substantiate the benefits of Osteopathic Manipulation that every Traditional Osteopath and their patients have already experienced.

I HAVE ONLY COVERED A FRACTION OF THE BENEFITS OF PRAXIS....
Please arrange for a DEMO so you can see the possibilities for yourself.

NOT ALL EMRs ARE CREATED EQUAL and PRAXIS is PROOF

Anil T.

Reviewed on 27/08/2020

A great emr that will keep improving your pratice, keep improving your speed, and save you...

The overall Praxis experience has been fantastic. I wanted an EMR that would grow and flow with the way I think and mature with my clinical acumen and practice, and I found it with Praxis! Praxis is my best friend and has kept me enjoying my practice. I am saving anywhere from $24,000 to $36,000 a year by using Praxis EMR, and the system gives me immense pleasure every day just charting. Other EMRs I've seen keep changing the layout, without improving the system. Praxis just gets better over time.

Pros

Praxis is an EMR that leanrs the way you think and keeps getting better the more you use it. Praxis will keep saving you an immense amount of time. It makes MIPS easy to do because the reporting can be incorporated in your assessment. You don't need a separate person doing it for you. Praxis will remind you when you need to do certain tests such as a lung nodule, it will remind you about repeating a CT scan or chest X-Ray in a year. What other EMR software does that? As you learn new treatment modalities once you teach Praxis, it will bring it up in any similar clinical setting. It's amazing. Praixs is like training your own PA, but better than humans, Praxis will never make a mistake.

Cons

There is always help online within minutes for any issue, it is only click away. The Praxis engineers are excellent and are there for you in a blink of an eye To get started, you need to be trained by Praxis, and they have excellent trainers. They are always there to help you and improve the process as Praxis comes as empty canvas at first. Much like art, as you begin drawing on it, you keep improving the painting.
If you don't want to spend the time teaching Praxis you can import medical knowledge from a similar provider or practice. Most of all the money you save is immense.

George D.

Reviewed on 23/08/2020

20+ year Praxis user

As an early adopter of new technology back in late 90s, I began to integrate voice recognition which was Kurzweil, now dragon, and praxis EMR.

For the first several years I had a love-hate relationship with this technology. As I look back I did not spend enough time making the program work for me in my practice.

But I did know that it helped with my transcription costs and I was able to realize how to document in order for me not to get denied the services I rendered to my patients.

The pressure to use the EMRs was turned up about 10 years ago by insurance companies trying to deny payment for lack of documentation, Worker's Compensation insurance companies could not get enough of paper documentation, and the Medicare push was beginning.

The praxis team has worked diligently to improve this electronic medical record software to become helpful with dealing with the government rules and regulations, new twists on insurance requirements, and providing education.

At the orthopedic trade shows I have seen products that seem very slick, but after quizzing them on costs, integration with your billing software, customizability, and other intricacies that praxis has already seen and dealt with, there was no need to go to a major expense to try another product.

Pros

After understanding the concept processing. the ability to customize and make the program work for me and my practice. It is not a cut and paste or a T-sheet (popular back in the day).

It gave me more time to spend with my patients and not as data entry clerk. eliminated transcription costs, improved accuracy in billing and level of service.

Integrated with my office management software.

Cons

As with anything new back 20 years ago, it was all strange and new. Now with upgrades and enhancements I cannot think of any.

I wish I went to the cloud version when they asked me to several years ago.

Stephen N.

Reviewed on 10/07/2020

Excellent EMR

Great setup team who teaches how to use the product. Great support when you have questions later. Charting MY way not the way some software designer thinks I should. I cannot stress that point. It is s smooth training process and as you are learning the system you are also setting it up for easier charting at the same time.

Pros

Strong software with a wide range of features for an incredible reasonable price. It grows as you use it so it begins to basically automate your charting more and more as you go. In an office setting it can end up taking care of your charting, prescriptions and patient instructions very quickly and easily. The ability to customize your charting and patient instructions is super valuable. Some other EMRs do not allow that much freedom in the way they work but Praxis lets you do your exams YOUR way. You can organize the notes to the way you are used to charting. Not sure how to do it..no problem, they have the team that will take you through it. Their training team and support are incredible. Tired of trying to manage code for billing? It does it for you. It helps make sure your codes are correct taking a big burden off of you in the charting process.

Cons

I guess something has to go here to complete the review, so, let me think.....I guess it wasn't free...LOL.

David B.

Reviewed on 22/06/2020

A snapshot of nearly 25 year history with Praxis

I started out as a single user back in the mid 1990s looking at various possible EMRs, I purchased it and later when they came out with a multiuser version, bought that in 1998 with up to 10 users. There was no compelling reason to use an EMR then and I saw them go from an access database to Oracle, and went from my first onsite large professional server, to another and eventually to cloud based, which has taken away the responsibility I had to maintain the hardware. Now any issues with hardware on any of the computers in our office can be addressed and fixed with a simple call to our cloud support. For praxis issues, contacting someone is as easy as clicking on a box in the program and within seconds, someone is chatting with us and can record whatever issue we have to get to support . Within a very short time our issues are taken care of, and we since we pay a very nominal annual support fee, we never have to worry about being nickled and dimed every time we call. Any of the providers or medical assistants can generate a chat session to report their issues.

For new users, they have many training videos, as well as one on one training from experienced trainers. Since I started out with version 2.0 and they are now up to version 8, I have seen the program grow and new features that other users have suggested have been incorporated into the program.

Pros

This software lets the physician practice the way he thinks, not the way a programmer says he has to. It is organized with "assessments" which can be anything from what other software might call a template, to just a unique item of thought. For instance if I see someone for a minor acute issue, but also note they have diabetes and haven't been in for a while and need labs, I have an assesment that I can click and it will create an order for their diabetic lab work that is due.
I also am able to create chronic assessments for my diabetics, and in those I have it display the last several a1c results, their last several weights, EFGR and whatever else I want. It doesn't require me to pay a programmer to do this for me. Praxis interface department has interfaced wtih Sonora Quest labs, as well as LabCorp. While in the visit I can easily display any lab I have set up in a flow chart to review them with the patient. These features are in addition to the learning behavior of the program which allows you to easily make minor changes to an existing assessment and create a new one while in the visit for a different patient, and then save that with knowledge for future patients.

Cons

What to some people is the most daunting task of an EMR is learning how to behave the way the programmers want you to, is acutally a plus with Praxis. It lets you think they way you do, and easily create your thought process and save them for the future. There are some conditions which I rarely see, but I had to do quite a bit of effort to come up with an evaluation plan and treatment plan. I was able to save that assessment, and when a year or two later it came up again, the old one was there ready for me to use.

I believe in having everyone vaccinated for the flu, and I have added an order for the flu shot to many of my assessments. It keeps popping up and reminding me to ask the question, if the patient declines, just a shift/click and I can remove it and move on. I can also add with one word in an "instruction field" a reading assignment for that patient to read "the Great Influenza" by John Barry, to understand the importance of being prepared for pandemics.

Erik C.

Reviewed on 21/05/2020

Incredible Experience

I'm a few weeks into the onboarding experience. The team has been phenomenal. Multiple attentive people, and the trainer is the best. Oh.. and I had a very unusual connectivity request, and in turn.. even their subcontractors are amazing. They are teaching our clinic how to vastly improve the tele-psychiatry experience for our providers (that wasn't even in the work order or request, it was, ...hey can I get some advice, ...for free I am working with expert who is amazing, he isn't even an employee of Praxis).

Pros

So when I saw the demo, my jaw dropped... They took concepts I knew and ran with them further than I imagined possible. My next thought was... oh my... people may not easily realize what Praxis has accomplished until using the software...

For context.. In residency training I was tasked with teaching patient presentations to medical student. I had some previous training in internal medicine at an Ivy League Program where I struggled with presentation skills. But due to a lot of intensive work and guidance I became very skilled (and the prior struggle lent itself to teaching students, because I could guide students having difficulty).

One cornerstone was teaching students that were do not process information in written text, and if you look at a transcription of any conversation, it tends to be... run-on sentence, fragment, tangential thought, one word reply, then run-on sentence, etc. Speech is fragmentation and it needs to stay that way else it is difficult for the listener (..that is why it is so annoying when you hear an entire lecture read off long paragraphs in powerpoint).

Speech patterns aside, the point is that we do not think in written text. Furthermore, as a provider gains experience, human cognition allows them to process information much faster than conscious awareness. Praxis understands this, and they built something revolutionary. Put in your information on their website and watch their demo, I would need to write 2 pages to explain it.

Cons

It took me three years to find them, and had it not been for the Coronavirus pandemic forcing me to search high and low for an ideal EMR, I would have stayed with paper charts and dictations (I hate EMRs, every one except Praxis)

Michael S.

Reviewed on 29/02/2020

A great EMR

An old saying: It's not what you know but what you can prove! Documentation, Documentation, Documentation. Praxis allows one to create appropriate documentation for the services rendered and billed. Praxis is HIPPA compliant. Praxis allows me to spend my time speaking to and examining patients and not staring at a computer screen during the encounter. I believe Praxis supports dictation and/or programs like Dragon Speaking; however, I am musch faster typing than I am dictating. I don't have to correct entries from word recognition programs or dictation entries.

Pros

Easy to learn and easy to use. I can generate documentation of a high level of care with minimum time. Much faster and more accurate than dictating. Very customizable - one is not constricted/limited by preformed templates created by someone else with someone else's language/words. One can create notes that reeflect not just what one does but in a language consistent with the author. Reliable and Afordable. Less complicated/shorter learning curve than other EMRs. It is/was very adaptable to my practice which included several specialties: General & Thoracic Surgery, Medical Oncology, Primary Care and Addiction Medicine.

Cons

Praxis has electronic scripting, but is still working on excripting for controlled substances. However, Praxis is partnering with MD Toolbox for controlled substance electronic scripting until it is incorporated into Praxis' current electronic scripting. For now escripting controlled substances is an extra step, but an HL7 interface allows transfer of demographics from Praxis, so one does not have to enter patients separately in each program.

Steven B.

Reviewed on 01/03/2020

Great EMR - No Need to Look Elsewhere

Prior EMRs have slowed my practice. My staff used to complain about how rigid the prior EMRs were. Some were very slow. I don't hear those concerns anymore since using Praxis. I am very pleased with how [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] and Praxis listens to their customers and clearly is in my corner to help me achieve a smoother practice operation. Affordable program. Great support. Very Satisfied. Get ready to be wowed when you start Praxis.

Pros

As a small medical practice, I have used multiple EMR platforms from small now defunct companies to the mega companies that dominate the hospital world. I have been a Praxis user for several years and am thoroughly pleased with my decision to select Praxis. The platform is unlike any other EMR that I have seen. The ability for Praxis to be molded to the needs of my practice has separated this product from the rest. Working with [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] has been a enlightening experience and I have learned much from him about EMRs, AI, and medical charting in general. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] is driven with great passion in listening to his clients and their needs and then helping to problem solve any challenges that we are facing. The level of personal commitment to his customers is unparalleled. From a software perspective, the ease of setting new assessments to meet our needs was very easy and constantly evolves. The notes get smarter as we continue to use them by taking advantage of prior encounters using the same assessment. I was able to transition from a prior inferior EMR very quickly. The training team was excellent and at times we were more of a partnership in customizing to what I needed for my practice.
My practice involves very complex patients, research visits, diagnostics, and other patient interaction types. While some of my needs were not built in to the program, the team worked with me quickly to come up with good solutions.

Cons

All programs continue to evolve. Praxis has been doing well to address their clients needs with periodic enhanced upgrades.

Julie B.

Reviewed on 13/12/2019

PRAXIS GIVES ME GREAT DOCUMENTATION IN LESS TIME!

Exceptional! Customer service is priority. Staff are extremely responsive. During implementation, the person working with you tells you the next person you meet. Contact is made almost immediately. You are never left wondering if you are forgotten. With customer support, if they can't fix the problem, a ticket is sent to IT to assist. The problem gets resolved within 24 hours . I then receive an email. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] is the usual person I get on customer chat. Her follow up has been timely, complete, and exactly what I requested.
A trainer is assigned at implementation to teach the system. My trainer, [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN], is available to me, even after initial training is complete. His availability is posted online for obtaining extra 1:1 help. He has email and text available for quick issues. He usually responds within the hour. If written communication instructions are not understood, a session invitation is extended to me. He has always been very patient, kind, and understanding. He ensures I understand the training and can reproduce processes without him.
The [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN], is very involved with Praxis. He continues to improve Praxis by contacting providers for ways to make it better. He is always open, friendly, relaxed, and communicative. Before having this system, I never spoke with anybody outside customer support. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] is always asking Praxis users about ways to improve his product and make it better for the end users, providers!

Pros

Praxis has so many great features that confining them to a small space is difficult. The ability to document thoroughly is at the top on the list. Praxis remembers what is written from one note to the next, so you build upon what is written from note to note. Comparison is simple because it is already there. The time saved from not having to continuously document the same thing repeatedly, frees up so much time that a complex note can be completed in less than 10 minutes. The history of the note can be pulled over from prior notes easily without multiple steps. With just 1 click, it’s there. Codes are saved within Praxis, so a simple click recalls them. They are always saved and available at the click of a button from note to note. This feature saves so much time that documentation is shortened by not having to continuously “look” for the correct code. Once it’s there, it never goes away. The last great thing about Praxis is virtually no down time with the system. I don’t think I have ever had the system go down since I have been using the system. If the system shuts itself down for security reasons or you close it by mistake, Praxis automatically saves your note so nothing is lost. This is a priceless feature, having had other systems boot me out, losing everything in the note. I am usually at the end and must start the note all over again. With Praxis it is saved automatically and you pick up where you left off.

Cons

The worst thing about Praxis is that I didn’t find it early enough in my search for an EMR to not have to go through two other systems that were disappointing and didn’t meet my needs. I have spent innumerable hours that I can never get back doing endless documentation when I could have been having time with family, friends, or a myriad of other pleasurable things instead of EMR work. I don’t feel there are any other cons of using Praxis except those associated with not finding this system sooner. Praxis gets faster and more intuitive the more you use it. this makes all the difference in the world when there is so much documentation required for reimbursement now.

Ryan R.

Reviewed on 10/12/2019

Praxis is a great software

What I love most about Praxis is how the software learns from me. So, as I use Praxis it makes my charting easier and allows me to spend more time focusing on my patients, which is frankly the best part of medicine. With my old EMR system, I was literally clicking on boxes for ten minutes or more for each patient whereas now with Praxis, most patients are completely charted in minutes, depending on how fast I want to go.

Pros

The Praxis people are quite helpful and were there answering my questions when setting up the software, so that was a good experience. I am now using a tablet and they needed to show me how to use it as I had never used a mobile computer for work. Overall, Praxis's software makes it very simple to check a patient's medical history which is much better than my old system which required much more work and used outdated templates.

Cons

There is nothing I cannot do with Praxis. I wasted a lot of time (and money) in not getting Praxis in the beginning, but I'm making up for lost time now. Praxis connects to everything in my office which is good. I'm still waiting to hear back from a lab but they should be connected soon. Ask the Praxis people to see a demo or send the demo videos and you should have a good feeling for its clinical usefulness for your practice. Good luck to all.

Marilyn S.

Reviewed on 19/07/2019

An EMR That Allows Doctors to Practice as Doctors

There are so many great features about Praxis but one of the best is the ease with which it allows users to qualify for the various Quality Payment Programs. It prompts many of the necessary criteria so they cannot be missed; even if you forget, Praxis remembers. Beyond the satisfaction of creating documentation that reflects my own personal thinking and is not a cookie cutter template that looks like everyone else's template that becomes cumbersome to read because of the redundancy, the support service for Praxis is phenomenal. I get answers to my questions within minutes; there is no staying on hold and being transferred to several people while someone is frantically going through the same manual you already read. Support is available after hours and sometimes I get answers late at night. When I am really stuck I get a call from one of the designers of Praxis. The Praxis executive team's suggestions and insights have been extremely helpful and their personal commitment to this software is second to none. I have used several other software platforms, both in hospitals and in the office and this is definitely the best one out there if you value accurate, original documentation that helps you provide superior care to your patients.

Pros

Should you trust all of the rave reviews about Praxis? Yes. Why? Because Praxis allows you to be a doctor. With Praxis I get to practice medicine. Praxis was designed by actual physicians. I first learned of Praxis 10 years ago when I was investigating EMR software for a large group of colleagues. My committee and I recommended Praxis, but at that time the price point was high so the group chose another company that promised everything, but delivered nothing. They hated their choice. Several years ago I looked at Praxis again. The cost is now affordable and the company's commitment to maintaining a high quality EMR system that prioritizes superb patient care is still there. Other systems I've used are template driven. Coding and capturing documentation is what drives their software. Essentially they are a billing template in disguise. Praxis comes as close to producing a high quality note in exactly my own words as when I used to chart with pen and paper. It is true that initial documentation is not automatic; for the first few diagnoses I had to invest time to get the details entered. However, once I did that, future cases got faster until Praxis anticipates diagnoses and outlines a treatment plan about as quickly as I can think it. Praxis prompts me about relevant clinical elements which I may not have considered. The focus is on symptoms, impressions, and treatment; not ICD 10 codes, CPT codes, and a format that benefits the biller, not the patient.

Cons

It would be unrealistic to say there are no cons. However, the benefits of using Praxis every day with my patients far outweigh any drawbacks. The whole concept of EMRs leaves a lot to be desired, but Praxis makes that bitter pill much much easier to swallow.

Mark L.

Reviewed on 26/10/2018

Thanks PRAXIS for an excellent product

The most important step with starting out with PRAXIS is to realize that you will come with baggage, bad habits and workarounds from using your prior EMR and it is best to spend some time in identifying them and do not carry them into your implementation of PRAXIS.

Pros

A clean interface that allows me to do what I want without having to look thru multiple panels of non relevant information, poke thru menu lists or buttons. This really reduces operator fatigue , frustration leaving me fresh for the rest of the day.
All list boxes have a superb and fast search input line at the top a couple of keystrokes and I have what I want, no need to scroll thru endless lists.
I had been using another EMR and had developed habits that were causing me to duplicate work while writing a note. On starting with PRAXIS I had to look at what I was doing and ask myself " What is the essence of this encounter, what defines it" This was the hardest step because it involved changes in my behavior, and once this was done, and it did not take long to get up and running. I had been using templates before and they were huge structures that fit no encounter, they had to be modified, whittled into shape on the fly. PRAXIS solves the problem by having smaller elements of a note which are rapidly assembled into the structure without any editing because each element is the essence. I can get a note for a diabetic exam including a foot exam before seeing the next patient.
PRAXIS has a tremendous amount of automation, that diabetic patient will get an automatic recall for labs in x months.
Support is excellent, there is an online portal where questions are answered. I have used this on many occasions and response is quick and interactive. Someone , is replying to your questions within a minute and since it is a two way conversation you do not get a "canned" answer.
I have PRAXIS on my in house server, apparently 80% of users prefer the on line hosted version. I have used both and can find no difference in speed or utility. I will eventually migrate to hosted online version. This involves overnighting the drive to PRAXIS and you are up and running.

Cons

Nothing, it has been a great improvement over my last EMR. I can get notes completed within a few minutes of seeing a patient with diagnoses that carry appropriate RAF scores for the patients problems.

Keyvan S.

Reviewed on 16/01/2018

Praxis EMR has made my office more efficient, allowed me to document better and faster than my...

It has made my office extremily efficient. It allowed me to document better, faster and provide better care for my patients. It has allowed my office to keep up with the regulations and the documentations necessary with the changes in the medicare payment model. It allowed my billing company to efficiently receive billing information electronically and start the billing process the same day the patient seen. It allowed me to be almost paperless by interfacing with imaging centers and laboratotries. I cannot say enought about this EMR, I dont know how we did without it in the past.

Pros

The use of Praxis is limited by your imagination. There is nothing that this EMR cannot do to make my practice easier. It has allowed me to provide better care to my patients, document better and keep up with the difficult regulations that are imposed on us. Support and training has been wonderfull and the team that administers this Praxis EMR company is caring and provide personal assitance.
With every upgrade, the system gets better, faster and it is truely better than all the EMRs that my colleagues have. I always finish the notes when I am done seeing the patients and I have access to my notes anywhere as long as I have internet access. Many of my peers who do not have Praxis EMR are not able to finish their charting due to the inefficiency of their EMR system. With Praxis EMR, the more I use it, the faster and more efficient it becomes for me to see patients.
With its setup, it has allowed me to keep up with all the regulations and documentation necessary for all the insurance companies. Even my billing is faster and more efficient. I can go on and on about how wondefull this EMR is......

John D.

Reviewed on 01/07/2020

Exceptional EMR Product

Patient encounters are streamlined and efficient, permitting faster delivery of quality care and increased revenue.

Pros

The program is extremely effective in documenting the physicians' evaluation and management service for individual patients. This EMR has helped make my charting bulletproof in CPT level of service coding audits. Praxis functionality is amazing in capturing point of service charges. It retains each provider's diagnostic approach and level of skill and judgement for any given symptom assessment or specific ICD-10 d aiagnosis for future use and refinement of that clinical setting. The longer you use your knowledge database, the smarter, faster and better you become.

Cons

The fact that providers must learn and apply appropriate documentation criteria for effective CPT coding skills is frequently not as attractive to physicians as the study and practice of medicine. The responsibility for accurately and completely capturing those codes remains the responsibility of the treating provider. Praxis software admirably turns this educational process into a strength of the product as it empowers users to constantly sharpen this skill set with innovative charting for coding capture.