About Praxis EMR

Praxis is an electronic health record (EHR) platform that offers both web-based and on-premise deployment. The Praxis EHR system is template-free, instead utilizing artificial intelligence (AI) that learns the way each...

Browse Praxis EMR Reviews

Ajeeb T. Ajeeb T.

Reviewed on 02/06/2020

Praxis Great EMR for the Private Practioner and primary care medicine

Reduced time for documentation and patient charting!

Pros

Easy to use documentation of patient visit notes and billing codes and procedures done as well.

Cons

I have it interphasing with our billing software and the electronic prescription of controlled software

eClinicalWorks

Reasons for Choosing Praxis EMR

I started on my own from a hospital practice.

SyncHR

Reasons for Switching to Praxis EMR

I own the product and host it on my own server which I prefer and also cost was more attractive and the reviews were good for Family Practice for the product!
Stephen M. Stephen M.

Reviewed on 25/05/2021

Comparison of EMR's

To have been so fortunate to have been able to first use then compare Praxis to the EMR's used by the clinics that I've worked out of but let me use Praxis has really opened my eyes to what make a great EMR

Pros

Praxis (an EMR/ EHR, developed by a practicing doctor) thinks like a doctor, the best example that I give, is, I took over a retiring physicians practice, upon seeing one of his patients, I turned to the paper note which simply read;
"Diabetes, well controlled"
Interesting enough, upon turning to the lab section of the paper chart, I saw a signed and dated lab sheet that read;
-A1c 6.8
-renal function (all within normal vaules)
-Ldl was 68

Next, turning to the Specialist tab, I found, once again, a signed and dated ophthalmologist note that denoted a normal retinal exam, while the podiatric exam also was normal.

For Dr Tate, "Diabetes, well controlled", meant the A1c was < 7, the renal function was normal, an up to date and normal diabetic eye and feet exam had recently been done. It also represented the normal review of system, examination, Assessment and Plan.

Unlike template EM/EHR's, Praxis, documents the way a doctor thinks, imagine an EMR that upon picking the Assessment; "Diabetes, well controlled", then prints out all the above, including all the CPT's and ICD codes (all at the speed of thought) (not taking 6 clicks to simply send a referral), sending the billing, referrals and lab orders

I'm currently in a very unique position, the company I work for, uses "Epic" (there is now way it was developed by a doctor, it takes several clicks and each click is taking your doctor away from facing the patient) to write one prescription, a good EMR does not, Praxis does not

Cons

It's hard for me to really give a negative statement about Praxis (remember, in the last three years, I've had to use three different EMR's that are used in the hospitals, SNF or adjoining clinics, Praxis is so head and shoulders above (it's almost laughable seeing there inefficiencies)

Erik C. Erik C.

Reviewed on 21/05/2020

Incredible Experience

I'm a few weeks into the onboarding experience. The team has been phenomenal. Multiple attentive people, and the trainer is the best. Oh.. and I had a very unusual connectivity request, and in turn.. even their subcontractors are amazing. They are teaching our clinic how to vastly improve the tele-psychiatry experience for our providers (that wasn't even in the work order or request, it was, ...hey can I get some advice, ...for free I am working with expert who is amazing, he isn't even an employee of Praxis).

Pros

So when I saw the demo, my jaw dropped... They took concepts I knew and ran with them further than I imagined possible. My next thought was... oh my... people may not easily realize what Praxis has accomplished until using the software...

For context.. In residency training I was tasked with teaching patient presentations to medical student. I had some previous training in internal medicine at an Ivy League Program where I struggled with presentation skills. But due to a lot of intensive work and guidance I became very skilled (and the prior struggle lent itself to teaching students, because I could guide students having difficulty).

One cornerstone was teaching students that were do not process information in written text, and if you look at a transcription of any conversation, it tends to be... run-on sentence, fragment, tangential thought, one word reply, then run-on sentence, etc. Speech is fragmentation and it needs to stay that way else it is difficult for the listener (..that is why it is so annoying when you hear an entire lecture read off long paragraphs in powerpoint).

Speech patterns aside, the point is that we do not think in written text. Furthermore, as a provider gains experience, human cognition allows them to process information much faster than conscious awareness. Praxis understands this, and they built something revolutionary. Put in your information on their website and watch their demo, I would need to write 2 pages to explain it.

Cons

It took me three years to find them, and had it not been for the Coronavirus pandemic forcing me to search high and low for an ideal EMR, I would have stayed with paper charts and dictations (I hate EMRs, every one except Praxis)

Top Praxis EMR Alternatives

Michael S. Michael S.

Reviewed on 29/02/2020

A great EMR

An old saying: It's not what you know but what you can prove! Documentation, Documentation, Documentation. Praxis allows one to create appropriate documentation for the services rendered and billed. Praxis is HIPPA compliant. Praxis allows me to spend my time speaking to and examining patients and not staring at a computer screen during the encounter. I believe Praxis supports dictation and/or programs like Dragon Speaking; however, I am musch faster typing than I am dictating. I don't have to correct entries from word recognition programs or dictation entries.

Pros

Easy to learn and easy to use. I can generate documentation of a high level of care with minimum time. Much faster and more accurate than dictating. Very customizable - one is not constricted/limited by preformed templates created by someone else with someone else's language/words. One can create notes that reeflect not just what one does but in a language consistent with the author. Reliable and Afordable. Less complicated/shorter learning curve than other EMRs. It is/was very adaptable to my practice which included several specialties: General & Thoracic Surgery, Medical Oncology, Primary Care and Addiction Medicine.

Cons

Praxis has electronic scripting, but is still working on excripting for controlled substances. However, Praxis is partnering with MD Toolbox for controlled substance electronic scripting until it is incorporated into Praxis' current electronic scripting. For now escripting controlled substances is an extra step, but an HL7 interface allows transfer of demographics from Praxis, so one does not have to enter patients separately in each program.

John D. John D.

Reviewed on 01/07/2020

Exceptional EMR Product

Patient encounters are streamlined and efficient, permitting faster delivery of quality care and increased revenue.

Pros

The program is extremely effective in documenting the physicians' evaluation and management service for individual patients. This EMR has helped make my charting bulletproof in CPT level of service coding audits. Praxis functionality is amazing in capturing point of service charges. It retains each provider's diagnostic approach and level of skill and judgement for any given symptom assessment or specific ICD-10 d aiagnosis for future use and refinement of that clinical setting. The longer you use your knowledge database, the smarter, faster and better you become.

Cons

The fact that providers must learn and apply appropriate documentation criteria for effective CPT coding skills is frequently not as attractive to physicians as the study and practice of medicine. The responsibility for accurately and completely capturing those codes remains the responsibility of the treating provider. Praxis software admirably turns this educational process into a strength of the product as it empowers users to constantly sharpen this skill set with innovative charting for coding capture.

Philip O. Philip O.

Reviewed on 26/05/2021

An EMR that you can love

As above, this product allows the user freedom of expression and encourages a much more thoughtful note than other EMRs.
The support staff has been amazingly passionate about the value of the product and it shows in the enthusiasm with which they provide support.

Pros

Unlike other EMRs that I have used, including a 45 million dollar hospital version, Praxis is designed for doctors to be able to express their thoughts to one another ( and to leave meaningful notes for themselves) using their own verbage in an efficient way. The system bills itself as being template-free; it is, in fact, free of pre-packaged templates but allows the user to create his/her own templates which, almost magically, become more and more refined with continued use. Rather than restricting the user to drop-downs created by someone else ( who may not be or think like a physician), Praxis encourages the user to express him/herself personally, creating documents that ultimately say just what the user intended to say.

Cons

I wish I had started using the product earlier.

Muhammad M. Muhammad M.

Reviewed on 01/07/2020

Life Saver

Pros

I got Praxis 10 yrs ago when started my own practice. I have used a lot of different EMRs working at different hospitals, Community mental health centers, VA hospitals ,School based clinics and prison systems . I also tried some other EMRs before making decision on Praxis.
I’ve enjoyed it since then .What I liked most about Praxis was an open template and I created my very own way how I want to write my notes.I hated the drop down and just click boxes EMR.I keep on adding and it learns with you and makes it easy for you to do your notes .As a psychiatrist I wanted an EMR that does not take my time away from my patients in session and I get my notes done in time and Praxis has done all that.I know praxis has a lot more features but I don’t use it for my specialty. I highly recommend try it as this is a long term commitment don’t get stuck with something you hate. Good luck

Cons

Since I got Praxis the upgrades have been adding and refining the features.Its promising as they take my feedback what helps me to improve what I am using.

Reviewed on 31/03/2019

Praxis EMR Reviews

Overall, a great EMR ​has a very user-friendly interface. May require a fair amount of time up front to set it up to your own liking, as it has a smaller amount of templates compared to larger EMR. Would still recommend to all! Would like to see more continual upgrades and improvements as more people begin to use Praxis!

Pros

For someone who has always used other EMRs, Praxis was a nice change of pace with a very clean and user-friendly​ interface. After a few days of using Praxis, I found it very easy to follow and was organized in a manner that helped save me time and effort during my workday. Has some great features that automatically trigger warnings and best practice advisories depending on the patient's conditions in a given chart, which help remind a worker not to miss key parts of their patient's healthcare. Charting is fairly simple to achieve on this EMR!

Cons

Coming from a separate EMR, I initially was looking for specific features I am used to in my own EMR. Took a few days to get used to the new system as some items are not as organized as I would have liked. Additionally, as a smaller EMR,​ there has been fewer upgrades and changes as compared to larger EMRs. In that same vein, the notes templates are not as vast so it took a fair amount of time to set up each template per encounter.

Response from Christopher

Replied 28/07/2020
Ronald B. Ronald B.

Reviewed on 14/01/2021

If it's time to get the best...

We've been using it for almost a year now and it has proven to be simply outstanding. We have physicians, counselors, lab technicians, and clerical personnel using it without any issues. The customer support people and implementation process are very friendly, very thorough, and again very user-friendly. Simply put...treat yourself to using this product!!

Pros

It's produced by physicians, for physicians (and other medical providers). Extremely user-friendly without the frustration of having been produced by a non-medical creator. The seemingly novel idea of having the medical record constantly building on itself is primo.

Cons

Honestly, nothing...other than I had to wait to be able to use it (i.e. until our practice grew enough)!

Daniel S. Daniel S.

Reviewed on 02/06/2019

Best for customization

The training is excellent and they are always available to help you problem solve. Instead of a monthly fee forever, they arrange financing so the monthly "fee" is paying off the program over time. Once you own it, you own it for life, only paying a small fee if you want it in the cloud.

Pros

Praxis is one of the most customizable EMRs but more than that, the more you use it the more powerful it becomes as you learn how to maximize the capabilities. Everything you enter into your chart is effectively tagged so that it comes up when you need it. An "Assessment" is a group of concepts that allow you to store ICD10 codes, pertinent positives and negatives in the history and PE, Rx's, lab/imaging orders, handouts, etc. so that when someone comes in with the same complaint in the future it is all there for you. And you can fine tune it so that you have an assessment that is as specific as you want or a differential. You write all the text so it is in your own words.

Cons

I love the software but you have to be willing to put the time in at the beginning to learn and enter your basic charting. Once you are up and running it gets better and better the more you use it.

Wesley B. Wesley B.

Reviewed on 24/08/2020

I like Praxis; would not consider any other program that I've seen.

Easy generation of encounter notes & insurance Routing Slips.

Pros

Its ability to remember previous findings, descriptions & diagnoses, and to reproduce them intuitively in future encounters; ability to blend text for several diagnoses in the same note.

Cons

(I wish we did not need so many government constraints that must be incorporated into the software!)

Edward G. Edward G.

Reviewed on 21/05/2017

Very versatile and user friendly software

Allows me to practice the way I want too

Pros

Eliminates the hassles of documentation. I can document a new patient encounter in under 30 seconds. I don't have to keep n changing screens. Can set up my PA and ARNP to practice the way I do.

Cons

seamless integration with our billing software. They are working on a patient kiosk to help eliminate paper. Can use instant medical history to help patients do H&P. Hopefully, one-day EMR's will have all options combined.

Response from Infor*Med

The Praxis Portal is here!

Replied 22/06/2017
Stephen M. Stephen M.

Reviewed on 19/11/2019

Praxis software review

Great. This company has always supported the end user with excellent personal service. They know who I am and what I need and are always there to assist with technical problems

Pros

Ease of use, personalization of the software to meet my specific needs, excellent support group.

Cons

It takes time to learn, but the more effort put in up front the better the end user experience is.

Amie N. Amie N.

Reviewed on 13/02/2018

Praxis EMR - Pain Management Use

Pros

Easy Navigation - our provider did not purchase X-Link so we had to manually enter all data, even with that it was very user friendly and not as big of a hassle as we originally thought. Easy Implementation - it is so user friendly that it was easy to jump right in and start using for our practice, made daily operations so much easier! Learns you as you use it, which makes our providers job easier when it comes to seeing patients and dictating charts

Cons

Have not found any as of today, even with having to manually enter patients and set up the schedule for upcoming months it was a simpler transition than we thought

Margaret L. Margaret L.

Reviewed on 21/03/2014

Great for providers and support staff

Pros

I am the office manager of a neurology practice that is using Praxis, and we really love it! I would say one of the things we like best is the automation. We currently have four providers that are part-time but have very full patient loads, and if it weren’t for Praxis, I don’t know how we’d get everything done. We have used Praxis since 2008, and now it understands exactly how our clinic works. It gets faster as you use it so we have seen more patients every year since we purchased it.

Cons

I can’t think of any real negatives; Praxis has really saved our practice. We did have trouble with our old billing system, but Praxis works with any billing, so they helped us choose another, and the office has been running great since then. I like that Praxis works with our billing behind the scenes.

Edward G. Edward G.

Reviewed on 14/03/2017

Once fully customized able to see patients with minimal charting effort

Pros

It allows me to work on the fly, not dependent on templates and rigid confines. very versaversetile product, very stable good customer service

Cons

I hate charting in general. i think this government guidelines are stupid and can't believe as doctors we have aloud this. Praxis helps

Paul P. Paul P.

Reviewed on 12/10/2018

Flexibility in EMR

We are very active in research and our ability to mine specific fields improves as we improve.

Pros

Praxis does not act, look or function like a template yet still offers the ease of a templated system.

Cons

There is nothing to not like about Praxis

Peter B. Peter B.

Reviewed on 29/12/2019

Terrific Software, Great Company

This software enables me to see 50 patients a day, have all notes finished and out the door after the last patient

Pros

This is a very intuitive software and functions in the same way a physician evaluates a patient and creates a note. Produces concise, clean notes and integrates very well with Dragon

Cons

I have no cons to list about this software

Robert C. Robert C.

Reviewed on 01/06/2014

Praxis EMR User Since 2001

Pros

Your mind does not think in a template system. Before templates, before words, your mind has a concept. This concept is related to the diagnosis and then expressed in words. The heart of Praxis is a concept processor and this links your mind to Praxis. Physicians are all not trained the same way; therefore, they can have different concepts of the same diagnosis. In Praxis, this concept continues to evolve as medicine changes.

Cons

All EMRs have to conform to all the continuous and sometimes ridiculous changes made by government regulations. The founder and CEO of Praxis is an MD, Dr. Richard Low. The evolution is MD-directed, with physicians as beta testers in their clinics and not designed by a computer nerd. These government regulations have hindered the physician evolution of Praxis serving the government bureaucracy rather than the physician.

Yezid M. Yezid M.

Reviewed on 02/08/2016

Praxis, the best EMR in the marquet.

Pros

The product is practical, flexible, smart and with a clear format that any one can understand what a medical record should have. Also, it meets the meaningful use requirements. It is easy to learn and implement in any medical office because the vender have and excellent support team that can help you 24/7.

Cons

No to have enough time in my busy schedule to maximize the benefits of this EMR.

Harold C. Harold C.

Reviewed on 18/01/2014

I have been with Praxis since their Beta version

Pros

The concept processor allows you to document a typical office visit with one or two mouse clicks. Every physician practices and documents differently, so a template-free EHR allows you the freedom to document the way you want to rather than locking you into a system of checking off 100 boxes.

Cons

It is really hard to say. The support is wonderful. The software is written with help from doctors for doctors in practice, and they take every suggestion from the experience of doctors using the software to make changes and enhancements. There have been many, many over the years I have been working with them. They truly want to make the best software out there in terms of physician satisfaction and ease of use.

Javier V. Javier V.
  • Used for 6-12 months

Reviewed on 01/11/2018

Innovative program that helps you do better medicine

This program is very adaptable.

Pros

The product adapts to my way of thinking. When I look at my progress note, I feel that this is my visit, not one generated by a checklist. As my notes evolve, as my skills improve, I do see how they reflect, how I think, as a physician. The program compliments how I think. The support and trainers are very good. I am 8 mos. on this program and I am faster than I was on my previous program, that I had used for 5 years.

Cons

Because this program is so adaptable, there is a learning curve. On the other hand I have never had such great trainers and the trainers are always accessible.

Stephen W. Stephen W.

Reviewed on 15/03/2017

An excellent EMR

Pros

The Praxis processing concept has reduced my charting time substantially without compromising completeness, quality, or accuarcy

Cons

I really love the Praxis system and only I wish I had discovered Praxis sooner to replace my old EMR,

Tom D. Tom D.
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

Reviewed on 14/10/2016

Praxis for Medical Audit Integrity

Praxis uses a constructive semantic engine to incorporate medical observations in the medical providers own language and terminology. It has always been a boon for physicians but physician assistants and nurse Practitioners particularly in a specialized area of care will find this the most readily customized electronic health record available.

Pros

This is the program that allows you to express your procedures and visits in the terminology you would use. You can link with evidence based resources and guidelines when needed.

Cons

Buy it and try it!

Robert S. Robert S.

Reviewed on 29/08/2016

Praxis is awesome - can't imagine practicing medicine without it!

Pros

Makes my job easier, not harder. Improved office work flow. Requires very little effort to operate.

Cons

Nothing really - great software, great company. Honest - they do what they say they are going to do. Always there for me.