About ZipBooks

ZipBooks is a cloud-based accounting and payment processing solution designed for small businesses and accountants. ZipBooks allows users to create customized invoices with logos, themes and messages. The online bookkeeping...

Browse ZipBooks Reviews

Diego L. Diego L.

Reviewed on 14/08/2017

I love ZipBooks! Easy to use, beautiful invoices, and a solid time tracker

Saved time, beautiful invoices, reliable and integrated time tracker

Pros

I love the fact that I can set up and send an invoice in a few minutes, pulling in existing products and services (complete with description). The addition of a time tracker was unexpected and very appreciated! I use it to keep track of the hours spent on certain projects with those clients that prefer hourly payment over per-project pricing. ZipBooks also allows for past hours tracked that are unpaid to be automagically pulled into a new or an existing invoice, making it super simple to make sure everything is included in an invoice before sendoff. The invoices are simple, clean, beautiful and there is an "include PDF" option when sending out the invoice to clients (for those that prefer to print out and save their invoices). The customer support is phenomenal -- the support staff is friendly and helpful.

Cons

It's still a relatively new software, and I was one of the early adopters, so there were a few minor bugs and quirks in the past. The good thing is, most of the bugs are squashed, and the roadmap for the future of the app looks very bright!

Response from ZipBooks

Thanks for the great review, Diego. Glad you stuck it out with us!

Replied 14/08/2017
John M. John M.

Reviewed on 22/08/2017

Great app for small business and freelancers accounting and bookkeeping

Pros

I have been using Zipbooks since last year and I have enjoyed the ease of use. They clean interface is very appealing. Have basic project management with tasks. My most used feature is invoicing which takes away my need to send invoices via email. Expense tracking is also on point.

So far I'm using Zipbooks as my default bookkeeping software. They were kind enough to extend a forever plan being an early adopter.

Support team is very responsive.

Cons

Project management is very basic.

I had to do a lot of manual work merging repeating transactions when I connected PayPal account and bank account since PayPal was pulling money from the bank. It would be nice to have a system that detects duplicate transactions.

Changing a transaction that is attached to a paid invoice turned the invoice to draft even if the invoice was marked as paid.

Response from ZipBooks

John,

Glad you are loving ZipBooks. Also, thanks for the feedback on things we can improve!

Replied 22/08/2017
Joan J. Joan J.
  • Industry: Design

Reviewed on 06/01/2020

Small Business Review

Pros

Easy to use and very user friendly. Customer support is always fast and has a solution to most any problem I through their way.

Cons

I wish there was a way to export a formatted excel spreadsheet of reports or be able to print to a PDF (single-page) easier.

Top ZipBooks Alternatives

Quickbooks Online

Sage Business Cloud Accounting

QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise

Michael E. Michael E.

Reviewed on 21/06/2017

Was GREAT, Recently VERY DISAPPOINTED

Easy to use, you just cant get your money

Pros

Easy to use, no frills, perfect for small business. Makes the daily chore of bookkeeping fairly easy.

Cons

CAN"T GET YOUR PAYMENTS!!! this is the second time that my payments are not posting to my account. Customer service is responsive, but point the finger at their processor. that does not get me paid. My customers orders have been delayed because of a ZIPBOOKS issue. I have been waiting for my payments to be released for now in 12 days. This is completely unacceptable. They used to be completely free now they want you to upgrade and pay a monthly fee to use the advanced services, but suddenly can't process payments in a timely manner, or in my case at all. Just something to think about before you start using this service. If you NEED to get paid, might want to find another service.

Andrew R. Andrew R.
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Reviewed on 18/10/2018

ZipBooks isn't what it seems

Overall, if you are an individual looking for a cool interface to keep a general ledger, this is a cool system. It's absolutely NOT a system of businesses. As a small business, I simply can't afford spending hours trying to may a paid system work. In this day, software shouldn't need someone holding it's hand. There are better systems out there and well worth the larger cost.

Hopefully this can save someone else from headaches. Move on, you'll be glad you skipped this system.

Pros

A beautiful interface with a clean layout gives you the first impression you are in an elegant accounting program. It also gives you step by step guides to connect banks and the progress of your connections. The ai is smart and will often correctly label your transactions.

Cons

The most major problem is, the software doesn't connect correctly to my Credit Union. It would show a balance of 3-4 past transactions, however have ALL the transactions in there.

Working with customer service is annoyingly slow. Response times in my experience have been days and I am a paid member. Along with the responses are silly gifs some people may dig, but when you have a problem, it's downright insulting.

After customer service realizing I was on an old system, they had it upgraded and wanted me to re-connect my Credit Union. As a result every transaction was gone! So years of balancing my business was vaporized. Thank god I didn't trust their customer service rep and exported everything prior to doing such a poor suggestion.

Mary B. Mary B.

Reviewed on 14/06/2017

I use for business and personal accounting actually.

Pros

Color coding, clean interface, simple to use so that I actually am able and motivated to keep up with my accounting. Love the option to outsource bookkeeping as I scale. Custom categories are really nice, too. Love ability to add docs to transactions and link transactions to certain clients.

Cons

I don't like that bulk-categorization was removed from free accounts without notice or at least a free trial of the next paid tier account so we could understand whether we should upgrade. I also don't like that there's no cash flow statement at this time under reporting.

Response from ZipBooks

Mary,

Thanks for the great feedback!

We are finalizing the details on providing early ZipBookers exclusive options from free forever to preferred pricing.

Regarding the specific feature of bulk categorization, I'll take a look at your account and see why you aren't able to use that.

Can you send your account details to [email protected]?

With regards to accessing our cash flow statement, if you set the income statement to "cash basis", you'll be all set!

Thanks!

Brad

Replied 19/06/2017
Kathleen N. Kathleen N.

Reviewed on 01/06/2018

No other way to go than ZipBooks - 100% Satisfied!

Bookkeeping service available to me via chat. Wonderful Bookkeepers such as Karin to help me along. Categorization help, ability to have a business report readily available any day. I love this program.

Pros

Extremely easy to use interface. Live chat option with a bookkeeper, preset categorization, help every step of the way, ability to track EVERYTHING about my business.

Cons

No inventory tracking feature. I would love more freedom in setting up my invoices. I need more options because my products vary. Also no intergration with eBay. But I still love the software.

Sarah K. Sarah K.

Reviewed on 22/06/2017

Pros

Our nonprofit was looking for easy to use software for our accounting. Not only is this easy, it is nice to look at too. And all web based means no more downloads on my computer! Linking a bank account was very easy! The mobile apps help as well. Customer service responded in under 12 hours!!!

Cons

They only have an app for IOS, No Android app yet, however I was informed it will be here late summer! (very excited about that)

Pascual C. Pascual C.

Reviewed on 21/07/2017

Free and great alternative to QuickBooks

Pros

Free, easy to use, professional and helpful customer support. It allows you to sync your bank account information into the system to save time.

Cons

Sometimes the sync does not work properly and you have to re-link your bank account to ZipBooks or refresh several times.

Daniel S. Daniel S.

Reviewed on 20/11/2015

So far, so good

Zipbooks is new, and while they still need to develop a consistent and positive track record, I can say that their product and team show a lot of promise. I have had quite a bit of contact with their team and they have taken my advice and feature requests seriously. These are early days, but so far it looks great and they seem to be moving in the right direction.

Response from ZipBooks

Daniel,

Thanks for the feedback. We know we still have a long way to go. Thanks being so generous with your feedback and sticking it out with us!

ZipBooks Team

Replied 20/11/2015
Jeffrey S. Jeffrey S.

Reviewed on 22/01/2016

Extremely easy to use, setup is a snap. Great flexibility in how you enter/use data.

In general I think the software is outstanding. The customer service is fast, very friendly, and efficient. I had an issue with linking to my bank, it was fixed asap and works perfectly. The only reason that I give it 4 stars (overall) and it really should be a 4.5 star raring is that I'd like to see an option to configure categories for expenses, and options for mileage as an expense. Integration to a mileage tracker like TripLog and a time tracker like Gleeo Time Tracking would be the icing on the cake.

Richard B. Richard B.

Reviewed on 16/06/2016

Poor poor technical support.

The customer support is atrocious. I had two issues; resetting my user data and a screwed up connection to Stripe. The first was still outstanding 3 weeks later, the second 4 days later. No feedback from "Brad from ZipBooks" until I chased them up with followup messages.

Eventually we agreed to delete my account and I'd start from scratched. That was 2 days ago and I honestly don't expect it to happen.

I'll be staying with Xero. A much more professional product.

Pros

Free.

Connects with PayPal, Stripe and WePay.

Clean simple web interface.

Pete M. Pete M.

Reviewed on 20/11/2015

Great for folks on a shoe string budget

Handles just about everything that a small business would need for their accounting, you'll love it!

Response from ZipBooks

Thanks Pete! Glad you could take time out of your busy schedule to leave a review. Thanks for the support!

Replied 20/11/2015
Haley W. Haley W.

Reviewed on 21/01/2016

Fantastic Software!

I am over-the-moon happy with my experience using ZipBooks. Not only is it easy to use, the customer service I've received is amazing. I will continue to use and it recommend it to others. Love it!

Tyler M. Tyler M.

Reviewed on 25/04/2018

Receiving payments is absolutely insane.

Pros

It looks nice and relatively polished, it's easy to navigate, and the setup process (seems) pretty easy.

Cons

The setup process is bizarre. Only after I had received a payment, I was told they were holding my funds until I sent them my Social Security Number USING LIVE CHAT, which is absolutely insane. The live chat provider they use, in fact, specifically says it is not secure enough for that, and forbids them from doing so in their Terms of Service.

Additionally, weird features are gated on the free plan. For example, you can't see your notifications.

Antony A. Antony A.

Reviewed on 22/01/2016

Simple and does the job well!

It is simple even for a person without any accounting background. Straightforward menu for browsing and recording. It provides a quick report for overall summary

Andre H. Andre H.

Reviewed on 20/01/2016

Great to use

Sleek, easy to use and makes my life easier. There are tiny niggles here and there but their equivalent to a typo on an email - their that insignificant.

• Used Monthly for 6-12 months

Reviewed on 01/10/2018

User

Nice to use but lacks some important advanced features

Pros

Easy to use, great to track the tasks, and assign the duties

Cons

No android version support, lacks inventory-tracking features. and integrated add-ons.

Brezi M. Brezi M.
  • Used Monthly for 1-5 months

Reviewed on 28/06/2016

Love this service!

I love using this service for my birth photography business. It helps me keep everything organized and in one place for each of my clients.

• Industry: Aviation & Aerospace

Reviewed on 04/09/2019

User-friendly software underpinned by prompt, professional support

Our overall experience has been positive. Thus far, we have not encountered any problems.

Pros

1.The software is easier to use than it even appears.
This makes it simpler for non-finance people who may find themselves required to attend to such matters e.g. Start-ups, local SME's and EME's etc.

2. The support team are atypically, prompt and efficient. In our experience with online support from other service providers, there is more often than not a delay in responding, be it short or long. In some instances, the support staff have not had the expertise to offer guidance or solve elementary problems. The ZipBooks team is impressively swift and knowledgeable.

Cons

Initially, it appeared that functions such as customer month end statements and a few others could not be generated.

After one or two chats with online support and the discovery of the numerous, yet concise, online documents, I realised that such functions are, indeed, included.

Not only that, but also that the majority of questions are very likely covered and one can solve one's own queries if one looks for the relevant document.

Perhaps it would be useful to users if this was highlighted or flagged and doing so may reduce the enquiries that your online support team have to attend to.

Response from ZipBooks

Thanks so much--happy to help!

Replied 06/09/2019
Andrea M. Andrea M.

Reviewed on 05/10/2017

Simple bookkeeping for businesses

I've been using this for about the last year and started when it was free to use. For what it was then and for as simple as it is, it serves my needs at the moment but it's a little difficult to use with my workflow so I feel like I'll probably outgrow it at some point. I do primarily project based work, tracking time and billing hourly. I don't sell anything through an inventory but will add expenses to an invoice. This software works great for that though it would probably work for something with a light inventory or commonly used services as well. Overall, it's a good value and worth testing out but it may not work as well for every business model.

Pros

Add expenses, track time, create projects, create tasks within projects, print out accounting reports, send invoices and receive payments in app, recurring invoicing available, ability to set up reminders automatically

Cons

Visually clean but not as streamlined to use. Projects can't be created on the fly in the time tracking app, but have to be created ahead of time. Still quick to do but it's an extra step. Same for tasks within projects. They must be created ahead of time too, though each project automatically creates a General task. Invoice design is simple and clean but there's not much that can be customized beyond the logo.

Roy L. Roy L.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Reviewed on 08/08/2019

It's FREE!!!

Being looking for this type of cloud system for sometimes, i'm so excited when i found this product and it was free to use. It automate a lot of things and i dont have to worry about loosing date anymore =)

Pros

I'm using the free version, it's good enough for me to track my profit or loss.
The invoice section is very good as well, just enter the blanks and it's all auto.
The best part is the support, because i am getting full support although i am using the free version.

Cons

Should consider to give us more access in the Income Statement report. The Income statement report is more than enough for my operation, sometime just wish i can click on the amount and it will show me the details. But this feature only available in paid version.
I am still waiting for the Android version to be release, then i can easily snap and store my suppliers invoices and receipts.

Response from ZipBooks

Thanks so much Roy!

Replied 09/08/2019
Nawahl R. Nawahl R.

Reviewed on 21/01/2016

Simple, Neat and easy to use! Perfect for a small business

It took me all of 5 minutes to figure everything out. At first I was a bit disappointed that the date format could not be set to South African standard, but when I noticed that the date very clearly appeared, printed in full on the finished documents that can get sent/printed out, I think its completely ok. I love that I could easily use my own logo. I love how everything automatically gets tracked. I love that its free! Its been really useful in my small and growing business, to keep track of all my income and expenses without me having to know much about accounting and without having to hire an accountant, on top of keeping all the receipts, written invoices and other transaction docs. It just simplifies life. I guess a complete accounting system is probably necessary when a business gets bigger, but for a small growing business and a newbie entrepreneur, who just needs a simple income statement, Zipbooks is the perfect tool to get one in the game, staying organized, tracking expenditure and income and having automated outputs that allow one to assess where to improve and streamline the business. The messaging system is pretty nice too. The response to queries from the Zipbooks team is quick and clear and quite personalized, which I'm very impressed by. Zipbooks is perfect.

Reviewed on 20/03/2018

Indispensable tool for managing the books of a small to medium business

At tax time, my job is significantly easier!

Pros

ZipBooks makes tax time easy - in the past I struggled to gather all the information needed to file taxes for our small business - after using ZipBooks for the last year, taxes are a breeze and I no longer dread the day(s) spent preparing my tax returns.

Cons

I wish there was a little more on the free tier - they do a lot to make you buy a subscription, which is an understandable business model, but sometimes I wish things like syncing a bank account more than once a day (especially if you have to change your password on the banking website) were included in the free tier.

Reviewed on 25/07/2018

Intuitive time tracking product that makes billing tracking a basic process

Pros

Nice UI, very easy to use and teach new team members how to track their time per projects. Makes a simple process (project time tracking) a simple task for team members to achieve per week.

Cons

The mobile applications can use some work. The iOS application is pretty buggy, but accessed through the web, it is pretty flawless.