About Square for Retail

Square for Retail is a cloud-based point of sale (POS) and retail solution for all retailers. Key features include inventory management, customer relationship management, reporting and employee management. The solution comes with...

Browse Square for Retail Reviews

Melanie A. Melanie A.
  • Industry: Events Services

Reviewed on 18/05/2021

They Allow Fraud and Theft

Horrible experience. Square permits fraudulent chargebacks against your company. A client purchased multiple packages totally thousands of dollars from my company, received the services, and then disputed the charges as 'unrecognized'. I provided the following to square:
Her signed contracts, with an anti-chargeback clause
Photos of us performing the services at the event, with her in the photos
A chain of her emails, including an email after her event thanking us for job well done
Despite this proof and legally binding contract, Square sided with her and removed the funds from my account. I had to sit with my bank to file a dispute with Square, put a hold on all charges by Square, and start using an entirely different payment processor just to avoid Square stealing my money.

Absolute fraud.

Pros

People understand how to use it, so it's widely accepted as a valid method of payment and no one is nervous about using it (they should be!)

Her signed contracts, with an anti-chargeback clause
Photos of us performing the services at the event, with her in the photos

Absolute fraud.

Chad M. Chad M.
  • Industry: Entertainment

Reviewed on 24/02/2020

Best POS for a small non-profit or business

Great fast point of sale software that does what it does very well.

Pros

This software provides the best tools for managing sales on a small scale. It is fast, easy to use,and full featured.

Cons

Honestly, this is one of the least expensive options out there but it would be nice to not lose the service charges from our income.

PayPal Commerce Platform

Reasons for Switching to Square for Retail

Less expensive, easier to use, and generally better customer service.
Caleb H. Caleb H.

Reviewed on 17/01/2020

Square Retail works great but the customer service is terrible

Overall it has been a great tool and finding a better solution has been tough. I have checked numerous POS systems and I end up just staying with square. I wish they would update there new register system like the retail app. I also wish they had better customer service. Without fail every time I have contacted square they say they will have to look further into the situation and contact me back but they never do. It has happen every time I have contacted square.

Pros

The software is great to do all transactions, returns and exchanges. I like the fact that it prints a barcode at the bottom of the receipt so when a customer comes back for a return we just scan the bottom of the receipt and the transaction pops right up.

Cons

I end up getting the new square register in hope that it would act just like the retail app for the Ipad. The fact is that square won't update the new register. It has no exchange option like the Ipad app does and you end up needing to set up both the Ipad and register. Square has known about this issue for years now. You can see the complaints on the square forum page. Square also does not have a spot for barcodes so you end up having to put your barcodes in the sku spots. The loyalty point system also has some problems. When you do a return it doesn't automatically take points back from the customer account.

Shopify POS, Epos Now and eHopper

Shopify POS, Epos Now and eHopper

Reasons for Switching to Square for Retail

These other products lacked to many other features that I couldn't make the switch. It had a lot to do with the rewards program and the back office software.

Top Square for Retail Alternatives

Marc M. Marc M.

Reviewed on 25/09/2020

Daily User

Totally love it. i'm happy with the features, and I'm sure that by being well funded I will continue to see new features come up, unlike software I previously used that wasn't as well funded.

Pros

I enjoy easily keeping track of my customer's info, including the ability to create my own custom fields and also group customers. These features make it easy for me to note a history with a customer, aside from just their purchases. Grouping customers allows me to enter a location, find the group of customers there, and know everyones name as a result of this reference

Cons

I wish it were easier to transfer my client lest from other software, but thats the nature of software I guess.

Chace C. Chace C.
  • Industry: Animation

Reviewed on 02/11/2018

Square is the catalyst to making my passion have value.

I am a freelance graphic artist. I use this software to make it easy to put value in my art. I now have the easiest way to my a living on my work anywhere I am or will be. Overall wonderful experience.

Pros

The most favorable feature in using square is its simplicity. In less than 10 minutes I was all set up with full understanding of how the software worked. It was quick and clean and practically effortless. When I was all finished I couldn’t believe it I said “ wow, really? That’s it? I’m done?” Great interface with extremely user-friendly and modern design.

Cons

I honestly have no complaints. I have yet to run into any bugs or performance issues. Which, when there’s money involved is hard to come across and a very crucial detail. I had to speak with an operator one time and that was a fault entirely of my own and was user-friendly and convenient. He was helpful and the issue was rectified within minutes. Sorry but really can’t say a bad thing yet.

Reviewed on 15/08/2018

A great tool for any small business

Pros

Both interfaces are very easy to use. There are many features to make your business look professional, like sending receipts via email and text and asking for feedback after a transaction. Adding line items is very easy, which is convenient for businesses that are changing prices or items frequently.

Cons

As much as I love this product it could definitely still use some tweaking. The biggest complaint is the fact that you are forced to buy multiple card readers for your iPad because they stop reading cards after a while which subsequently forces you to enter the card manually which you are then charged more money for.

Elena P. Elena P.
  • Industry: Civic & Social Organization
  • Used for 2+ years

Reviewed on 05/12/2018

Calling All Scout Troop Leaders: Square is great for your booth sales! (and other small...

I'm a Girl Scout Troop leader, and using Square has revolutionized our cookie booth sales. Now when someone says they don't have cash, we can give them the option to pay with a card,w which has gotten us a tom of sales we would otherwise have messed out on. We make a tiny margin on cookie sales as a troop, but Square's charges are so reasonable that it still works out very much to our benefit to use it. I highly recommend it for any kind of booth-style vendor, whether you're a troop, a church holding a bake sale or rummage sale, or a small business person vending at farmers' markets and craft fairs.

Pros

Super easy to set up, easy to process payments, easy to generate receipts, and easy to track sales. Plus it's a very reasonable cost and lets you be much more accessible as a seller - no more juggling tons of loose cash!

Cons

It can sometimes be glitchy, and obviously only works if there's a good internet connection. I had some initial problems with my chip reader that forced me to hand-enter a lot of cards, which is time consuming. But on the plus side, that option exists for when there's a problem with the reader.

Jerry L. Jerry L.
  • Industry: Computer Hardware

Reviewed on 12/08/2020

Great solution

Pros

Inexpensive to buy! Swipers are free and chip readers are only 49.00. Square is easy to use in store or out of store. Processing fees are the lowest I've found anywhere.

Cons

Make sure you use a tablet thats fast. Don't buy a cheap tablet of 30.00. pay upward of 75.00 other wise its very slow.

Devora F. Devora F.
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

Reviewed on 10/10/2018

Square improved my business

My overall experience is beyond satisfactory. This software is a mus for any business. Quick and easy to use and works without any glitches.

Pros

The software is user friendly, quick and easy. I love their simple and straight forward layout. They literally contributed to my business growing!!!!

Cons

I can't think of any negative thing to say, except at the beginning I had some problems that turned out to do with poor internet connection.

Justin N. Justin N.

Reviewed on 23/08/2019

Get Paid Now!

Square has made us more money. We do not have to spend time waiting to be paid anymore. 10/10 recommend.

Pros

We love the ease of use for both us and the client. We used to have to wait for payment via check and sometimes we'd have to follow up with clients for months without getting paid. Now when our technicians are wrapped up in the field.. they have the client pay instantly using their mobile phones with card reader. No more waiting for payments!

Cons

Square is a great software and clients trust it. There is nothing that is negative about Square. Love it.

Tin W. Tin W.
  • Industry: Photography

Reviewed on 10/08/2018

Square

Pros

I love that it's so easy to send invoices in just a second! It keeps track of your clients names and client info, services, invoices etc which is such a timesaver! I can look st a glance and know what invoices have been paid and which ones need to send again.

Cons

I would love there to be a way to enter services in so you don't have to type it in each time when making an invoice.

• Industry: Arts & Crafts

Reviewed on 12/07/2021

easiest payment method

Its definitely one of my favorite programs or services to use for payment.

Pros

One of the easiest payment services I've used in the past few years. Its portable and easy to use and most customers like how fast and easy it is.

Cons

I haven't found any issues with the software or the program. Occasionally run into customers who aren't comfortable with using it.

Shelby S. Shelby S.
  • Industry: Automotive

Reviewed on 25/09/2018

Simple modern way to accept customer payments

I am pleased with Square. The amount of information that Square provides is very useful and easy to access. The offline feature is also really useful. In the event that our internet is down, we can still accept customer payments.

Pros

It is very easy to use. After a small amount of effort setting things up, we have a POS that is tailored to our specific needs. The rates for processing transactions are also very competitive.

Cons

I really have not had any issues while using Square. One time there was an update to the iPad that caused Square to not function properly. While it was an inconvenience, the issue was resolved in a timely manner.

Hannah P. Hannah P.

Reviewed on 18/06/2018

consumer friendly, simple, straightforward

Pros

I love how easy it is to operate, as both a customer and a shop myself. I also really appreciate the option to email or text the receipt. This allows for everything to be green and sustainable. Also, the plug in for my electronics is so small and portable. This is a huge plus. As a customer, I trust the security of Square and have real peace of mind when paying through the software. Other online merchant software is not as trustworthy or secure.

Cons

There are no cons for me related to this software. I gave it five stars across the board as I feel it is the best software in its category, both is function and form.

Crayle V. Crayle V.
  • Used for 1-5 months

Reviewed on 17/06/2021

I'm Not Sure Why This Is The Default For So Many

I haven't processed any sales. I don't trust the company enough to handle my money. They claim to be for mobile businesses, but require a desktop to manage your account. Many pages of their site were broken when I did my set up. Their customer service leaves much to be desired.

Pros

The fee structure is lower than some, and they send first time users a free mag strip reader. That's really the only benefit I can see.

Cons

-You can't manage your account from your phone. Most options are grayed out and say "desktop required."
-Once I got to my desktop, the site was really buggy and hard to use. For instance, little black dialogue boxes telling what kind of info to put in each field hover over the space you actually need to type in when you do your account set-up. When you hit the "X" in the corner of the dialogue box that is blocking your view of the typing area, a full-screen pop-up asks "Are you sure you want to leave setup?" No, I don't want to leave setup, I just need this box out of the way. My first form that I filled out was full of typos, because I couldn't see the field to type in through the black dialogue boxes.
-Their customer service is REALLY bad. When I had trouble signing up for the free card reader, I used the WORST customer service bot I've ever seen. It just kept sending bursts of 3-5 messages with links to broken pages on their website based on key words before I could even fully type my question. Then the human customer service rep I chatted with wanted to add things to my cart for me and kept trying to assume the sale before actually addressing my problem.

Clover
Andrew A. Andrew A.

Reviewed on 29/09/2018

Great start for business

Helped increase profitability by allowing me to accept credit cards.

Pros

I liked how easy it was to setup and connect to my bank account. The invoices made it easier to collect and the mobile app worked very smoothly.

Cons

At the time I was using they charged for everything. Payroll, scheduling, and any extra site features. The breakdowns on the back end weren't as thorough as quickbooks either so I switched.

John F. John F.
  • Industry: Restaurants

Reviewed on 21/09/2020

Snap

Pros

We use this everyday for our POS system and it is very easy to use in pulling reports.

Cons

Just that we have had some of the units go down.

Crisa T. Crisa T.

Reviewed on 22/02/2019

We solely use square for retail

Pros

We love square there’s a reason so many small businesses are using square! It’s amazing and costs less than most POS.

Cons

I wish it would deposit funds faster 😂

Michael B. Michael B.
  • Industry: Consumer Services
  • Used Monthly for 2+ years

Reviewed on 25/10/2021

Square: Easy To Use Retail POS Portable System

When I first saw the “Square” over ten years ago, I was in disbelief that a small device could ever replace such a large device. I’m impressed and amazed at exactly how far this and other similar devices and software have come.

Pros

Square for Businesses accelerates the Small Business by conveniently placing everything at Your Fingertips. The Owner simply enters the products into the inventory portion of the system, via the barcode method or sku. This enables tracking and easy locating of individual products, as well as return mailing. This assists in accounting, creating a work schedule for busier days and payroll as well. Square connected to IPad as Point of Sale is everything one needs to conveniently run a connected business.

Cons

Square has been known to permit chargebacks too easily, without requiring authorization.

Reviewed on 30/09/2019

Simple and reliable payment processing

Square for Retail has made our daily operations more efficient and our employees more independent.

Pros

The best thing about using Square for Retail is the simplicity. I can train a user on it in literally about 5 minutes. The learning curve on previous point of sale systems would take up to an hour.

Cons

Sometimes the card reader can have difficulty sensing the magnetic stripe of cards, requiring a couple extra swipes to get it to register.

Henry W. Henry W.

Reviewed on 07/10/2021

A Must-Have For Small Businesses

Square was the #1 solution for our exterior retail needs. A simple system with basic, fleshed-out features. Overall the concept is well thought out and we wouldn't be the same without it. Square has opened the door for success beyond the limitations of E-Commerce retail.

Pros

The mobility of Square is the most fantastic aspect of the Square service. If we don't end up using the fully-fledged POS system, we have the option to use a simple phone-attached card payment device. We can go anywhere and take our store with us!

Cons

The lack of ability to upload a stock of products with a CSV file. We have hundreds of items, each with different elements and aspects, no two items are the same, thus it is time consuming to transfer items from our other e-commerce platforms to Square.

Jessica G. Jessica G.

Reviewed on 18/06/2019

Good value for the money !

Keeping track of sales per day is so much easier ! The system makes it easy to interpret.

Pros

After initial intro it was easy to use.

Cons

There was a bit of a learning curve for us all but now things are smooth !

Tracee T. Tracee T.

Reviewed on 16/09/2021

Love having the ability to be able to accept debt and credit cards on the go!

It has opened alot of opportunities and possibilities to my small business that wouldn't have been an option otherwise.

Pros

The option to all my customer to order on line or pay me on the spot for goods and services.

Cons

It was a little bit confusing at first but customer service walked me through it easily and very helpful with my questions.

Maya L. Maya L.
  • Used for 2+ years

Reviewed on 11/04/2019

Square

Pros

Square is really simple to use and has been really helpful for me in the past to accept credit card payments from people.

Since most people do not have cash, this is a very convenient way to still be able to do business.

Cons

I don't like that there is a fee get your money.

Also, with all of the new apps and money services, recently I find I am more likely to use something else besides square to receive money.

Diane V. Diane V.

Reviewed on 30/09/2019

Square

I have never had a problem. My money is always deposited directly in my account by the next day.

Pros

Square is so easy to use. I sent invoices out for my business and people can enter their card information and pay or I can scan their card when I deliver their items.

Cons

The cost is a little much for a small business that only does a $100 in sales a week. I use it for a small homebased business.