Intercom Reviews

About Intercom

Intercom is the only complete Customer Service solution that provides a seamless customer experience across automation and human support, delivering increased customer satisfaction while reducing costs. We're building a future...

Browse Intercom Reviews

1,059 of 1,059 reviews
Liam
Liam

Reviewed on 01/08/2019

Not Much Competition

Everything has been fantastic from the Customer Success-led implementation process to it being deployed to our users. Multiple compliments on the feasibility of use since purchasing.

Pros

From both the administrative and user perspective, the ease of use and just overall depth of what you can create with the product is very impressive. It allows a great amount of customer support to be automated and simplify it's delivery via articles and a knowledge base that'll continually grow.

Although it's not the biggest feature, as a user, I love that it's focused on getting you an answer/resolution the quickest way possible given the same entry method. Type "adding users" in an application with Intercom support will quickly both deliver you articles that can potentially solve your problem or will also quickly deploy a CSM to you to answer it directly in case it was a bit more complex.

Best part though is the feedback cycle, you're typing exactly what you want to know into the application and if no articles return: New Content Topic.

Cons

Theres really not much. I've run into situations where it was wrongly applied within other organizations and not properly resourced, giving a less than average experience. But that's not as much specific to Intercom themselves.

Given they are the industry leader, it can come at a premium for a larger organizations.

Olark , Confluence and Zendesk Suite

Reasons for Choosing Intercom

Overall compatibility with scaling of the company and support infrastructure. Not enough functionality to grow out an effective customer knowledge base that's as simple to approach for customers and internal content builders alike.

Confluence

Reasons for Switching to Intercom

The overall growth of the company and product over the past few years and the speed in which they've been able to push out updates and new features shows a lot of promise over their competitors. Honestly, the user experience that we had been encountering when coming upon sites and companies that were using Intercom was so positive that it was hard to not want to give that same experience to our users.
Lillian
Lillian

Reviewed on 07/08/2023

Intercom is a great support system tool

Quickly and simply, I can access the Macros and write/update the articles in the assistance center. Streamlining the process of submitting tickets to the correct division for handling user concerns. It's a time saver for all teams because they can deal with it themselves.

Pros

Streamlining the process of submitting and responding to tickets, and developing automated tools to streamline and simplify our daily lives. I appreciate how simple it is to locate articles and macros to distribute to my clientele. The addition of emoticons and gifs to the discourse is a nice touch, as well.

Cons

Previous software allowed us to see the customer's input before he sent it. This allowed us to quickly respond to his query by reading it as he was writing it. If only I could keep seeing it.

De
  • Used for 2+ years

Reviewed on 26/05/2021

NOT $39 starting price anymore. $59 a month for basic chat function

My overall experience with Intercom has been poor. we've been using them at the basic level for three years. I chatted with them to get a demo of their features to upgrade but they refused to give me a demo and finally set me up with a "30" call in which the rep tells me that she won't give me an upgrade after she finds out that i am not interested in the $500/mo annual contract. She says demos are for those upgrading to that level, instead, she'll send me links and prerecorded stuff. And that i can reach out if I have questions. The 30 min call was more like a 5 min conversation which was already difficult to set up.

I've been in sales for over 15 year and when there is an upgrade opportunity regardless how small, I support that client.

If Intercom was the only organization that did what they do, maybe I understand their cockiness and disregard for the smaller organizations. However, there are SO many competitors that provide you with very similar functionalities for less the price and with better customer support.

So yes, I'm annoyed as I am a current user who is doing research on other competitors so I can stop being a customer.

Pros

It's "popular" and works well if your company is enterprise sized.

Cons

If you're a start up or a smaller business don't expect to get support.

It's very expensive - starting at 59 dollars a month for one person accessing the basic chat. Sure they offer a few other things but like a team inbox? Most organizations already have an email system and a company chat in place. Next level up is $119 a month that gives you a few more functions.

Until you are paying their $500 a month locked in an annual contract, you are "self serve" customer. Meaning, no support - just their faq/website. Can't even get a good phone call for help.

Response from Intercom

Hi De,

Thanks for leaving us such a detailed and candid review. I'm sorry to hear that you are disappointed with your Intercom experience, it's certainly not what we aim for. While we do tier our support and sales resources based on subscription levels, the max you should be waiting for a response is 2 days. I'll flag this with both our Support and Sales team as it sounds like we haven't met this expectation in your case.

When it comes to pricing we have a number of plan available (including our Early Stage plan where eligible startups get advanced Intercom features and Early Stage Academy at a 95% discount). As Intercom has grown, our pricing has had to evolve alongside this and there's still work to be done in this area. We're aware that no pricing structure will suit every business type but our aim is to truly reflect the value that our product delivers, allowing both your business and ours to succeed. Your feedback is extremely helpful and will be passed on to the team.

Replied 16/06/2021

Top Intercom Alternatives

Allison

Reviewed on 25/03/2024

Top of the line customer support solution with lots of features.

Pros

Intercom is super easy to use and doesn't require a lot of training of end users. I like that we can add it to directly to our website so that it's easily accessible by our customers. We also heavily utilize their proactive support features to alert customers to new features and updates, which is very handy. We also use their survey feature and like that it's easy for our customers to answer. Their chat feature is good and we like the automation that you can program to triage customer issues.

Cons

I wish the ticketing feature was better so that we could more easily communicate tickets to engineering that need additional work and support and tag them to multiple customers. The Jira integration doesn't give enough visibility into what's happening in Jira as well. The reports from surveys also aren't the best/a little difficult to use. It's hard to sometimes see how the feedback we receive on questions corresponds with the score.

Emma
Emma

Reviewed on 16/08/2023

An innovative and beneficial resource for businesses.

Better and more convenient contact between us and our customers is always appreciated. Easy history tracking is made possible by this intuitive tool. It's simple to record my conversations and analyze them afterwards for development purposes.

Pros

An easy-to-use intercom system. Easy to use even for first-timers, this program has just the right amount of detail without being overwhelming. The intercom is similar to another email program that we use, and I can explain why. Its fast features and user-friendly interface, such as the helpful and funny bot, greatly enhance customer service and lead to exceptional client satisfaction.

Cons

I find that the intercom sometimes has trouble loading some conversations, which is a major drawback for me. As a customer service representative, you're fielding calls while waiting for the intercom inbox to load the customer's information. In addition to the holdup, additional issues have slowed down the operation of the customer support team.

Gina
  • Industry: Staffing & Recruiting

Reviewed on 24/02/2024

Intercom for Startups is Awesome

Pros

We were fortunate to be accepted into the Startups program so we are receiving a great discount to leverage all the product has to offer. We originally found Intercom for live chat but it offers so many features that we implemented. We love the tooltips and pop-ups. We love the ability to trigger the chat box when certain events occur. There are so many features that we haven’t had a chance to implement them all, each one that we use had helped our users have a better experience on our platform.

Cons

Get started was a little difficult and I have had to reach out to Support on a pretty regular basis because I cannot find the answer to my questions in their support center. Their support team is awesome but it can take a day or two to hear from them which is frustrating when you need to get something released quickly.

Reviewed on 20/11/2023

Great live chat and marketing tool

Intercom is vital for our sales and customer service teams, we use it to communicate with our customers in real time and through email campaigns.

Pros

It is easy to use, and honestly one of the best tools out there. Intercom has a ton of features that go from a simple chat bubble to interact with your users, to email marketing tools and AI bots. They have a ton of integrations with other services.

Cons

Many features can be found behind a paywall and their tiers of service and bundles are not very clear.

Zendesk Suite

Reasons for Switching to Intercom

The original developers, decided it was a cost effective and easy to set-up and deploy tool, they were not wrong.

Reviewed on 14/02/2023

The Finest Online Chat Service Currently Available

In a short amount of time, we can offer extensive support to our clients. Having a help desk and the option to speak in real time are both fantastic additions. Many businesses today use Intercom to request pricing and quote information, and the platform's ability to route inquiries to the appropriate team member is a huge asset in building a pipeline.

Pros

For over a year, I've loved the intercom's ease of use. Love the mobile app, and the interface is clean. Our services are highly adaptable. When it comes to expanding support, bots are invaluable. The onboarding process is also quite beneficial.

Cons

Having more inactive contacts on the intercom increased the monthly bill. You must continually archive users in order to keep costs at a minimum.

Reviewed on 01/07/2024

chat with employer

Pros

ease of use. Most Healthcare staffing apps use it

Cons

sometimes doesn't load in app. that's all

rohit
rohit

Reviewed on 24/06/2024

Best of the product with simple process

Its quit great experience with have some software And techincal process

Pros

effect And process with simple And advance process

Cons

budget is only the high in the process but Advance process with accurate report

Kyle

Reviewed on 29/08/2019

Adds Much More Value Than You Realise

While the price tag for Intercom is not small, especially for startups launching their first mobile app versions, it has consistently proven to be one of the most valuable assets for teams in terms of user support, communication & out-of-the-box development readiness.

Pros

The in-app chat feature (with its cross-platform support for React Native and Ionic) is absolutely the biggest differentiator for Intercom. It is a critical part of our day-to-day operations & every client that has gone the route of implementing it with us has been hugely surprised by the large amount of value it adds to end users.

Cons

We are facing ongoing complications differentiating identified and unidentified users. The experimental API available for Android seemed to be heading in the right direction to solve this, but we haven't seen updates on the stub implementation for iOS in over a year (https://github.com/intercom/intercom-ios/blob/master/Intercom.framework/Headers/Intercom%2BExperimental.h).

Reasons for Switching to Intercom

The depth of features, native mobile experience for users, easy to implement push notifications & powerful management console trumped our experiences with the others available & unified several different but related requirements.
Nathaniel
Nathaniel

Reviewed on 06/08/2019

The really bridge the gap between customers and our service

Their customer success team is great, even on the days when I'm not the most gracious customer. I even try to emulate some of their practices because I feel heard as a customer when I suggest features or report what I think could be bugs in the system.

Pros

The ability to converse with our customers quickly and seamlessly between email and the messenger app is great. They've thought through this feature set very well and it brings us very close to our customers and we are able to convert leads very well through this service too.

Other similar apps function the same, but their UI/UX is lacking compared to Intercom. The actual feel of the app is clean and friendly and dare I say...even fun to use.

Customer success at Intercom is also excellent, they've got our backs and I appreciate it (although getting paired with someone in a vastly different time zone can hold up ticket times on our end).

Cons

There are some gaps in the help center and email features. It would be ideal to create/edit documents in a manner closer to Microsoft Word or Google doc, as those are the standard for editing documents these days. Little things like not being able to create a list inside of a document the way I would in other apps can be frustrating, but there is usually a workaround of some sort that will suffice (I'm just picky).

It would also be nice to only be paired with their team members in our time zone. Working in the US and then being helped by a team member from Australia means our ticket times take much longer and conversation is hard to do in real time.

Guy
  • Industry: Information Services

Reviewed on 25/02/2020

Horrendous company, be careful of getting locked in

Absolutely horrible in every possible way.

Pros

The UI allowing to construct auto-messages

Cons

They lure companies in to integrating intercom into the workflows and take advantage of the difficulty of later migrating to another product, in order to jack up the prices to ridiculous levels. We've had to complain multiple times each year for drastic overcharges (think 3x) and fight with them for months until they would process some refund (after numerous lies and diversion attempts by their reps).
Unethical company, unethical staff, can't be trusted one bit as a business partner.
Also be aware that they do not grandfather plans, and you are at their mercy, they can at any time give you a short notice before "updating" the pricing structure. The most recent "update" would have caused a ~5x in price, getting us to flee to another provider at a great internal cost.

Response from Intercom

Hi Guy - first off, I want to apologize for the difficulties you've had. Since Intercom started, we've focused entirely on the idea of strong customer relationships and I'm sorry that we let you down here. I hope I can clarify why these pricing changes are being made and provide some more context.

We've recently changed our pricing model to a simpler one that we believe is better aligned with the value our customers get from the product. That meant an increase in price for some customers and a decrease for others.
Getting pricing right at Intercom has admittedly always been really challenging for us, but we don't want you to feel this way.

I'm sorry to see you go as a customer. If you'd like to speak to your account manager (or me directly) about what happened for your account specifically, we'd really love to chat. You can email me (phil at intercom dot com) if you're open to a conversation.

Phil (Intercom - Customer Engagement)

Replied 04/03/2020
Helen

Reviewed on 02/02/2023

Mostly great, with some glaring issues

Mostly positive, but even so we are in the process of switching to another tool that has more straightforward pricing and complete features.

Pros

Generally Intercom is easy to use and their documentation is quite good, so it's usually easy to find the answer to any question we might have. Anytime a new feature or change is rolled out, they offer pretty solid onboarding and walk you through how to get the most out of it. In terms of capabilities, I'd say Intercom offers more than most. Many options for integrations. We use it for lead generation, email marketing, customer engagement, and tickets. In all cases it is pretty quick and easy to use and easy to collaborate with team members.

Cons

We've been using Intercom for years without any significant issues, but over the past 2-3 years it has grown and evolved in ways that haven't always been positive. Their customer support is much slower and less responsive than they once were. As they've added new features and capabilities they've also increased fees and now you have to pay separately for every tiny thing. It seems like every single feature in the platform requires a paid upgrade and this rapidly and significantly increases the cost. Reporting is very weak and only goes back a few months (it's so bad that we don't use any of it... all of our reporting is done externally with integrations).Finally, and perhaps most significantly, many of their features don't really work the way they are marketed or the way that you'd expect. This has led to continuous disappointments when we learn that certain features don't really do what they claim to do. They are must more limited than they appear, and when you speak to their customer support about it they are always scrambling to offer you some sort of a workaround. Workarounds can be fine, but they shouldn't be required so frequently, especially for such an expensive tool.

Simon

Reviewed on 13/10/2023

A pricey but extremely competent choice of chat

Very well! everything from sales calls, onboarding, setup and support have worked very well.

Pros

Integration was easy with webhooks easy accessible. It is also very easy to customize chatflows with many different response options, making it a breeze to set up multiple scenarios. I do also enjoy the customization possible to for example have different chat prompts depending on the webpage a visitor goes to. On the other hand this is sometimes a bit overwhelming - I want to explore more and a customer success manager would be nice to have for this.

Cons

The price. Honestly, it seems like they try to raise and raise to squeeze a lot of money out of small businesses. Also, their pricing model is pretty difficult to understand, so be aware of all the choices you make during your sales call/order.

HubSpot CRM

Needed more customization

HubSpot CRM

See above

Reviewed on 12/10/2023

Fairly unreliable tool

When it works it is great, but the support team often avoids helping with issues and isn't available during a major outage.

Pros

It has great features, when they are working correctly.

Cons

There is no live support. During major outages, which are far from uncommon, it is impossible to reach anyone. Their support is only available via chat, with 1-5 business day response times. Since the support team uses the same chat platform they offer to customers, it isn't possible to reach someone during a major outage. The support is very low quality during emergency situations, so it is not a dependable tool for teams offering live customer support.

Response from Intercom

Bobby here from the customer support leadership team. Overall, sorry to see this and happy to chat more if you want — send me a message by email or LinkedIn DM!

I also wanted to follow up on your feedback regarding our processes.

We use Statuspage to communicate with customers during an incident or outage. We post as soon as we begin troubleshooting, share updates along the way, and communicate when it's resolved and what happened. You can also message us on Twitter during an incident, or send us an email.

Intercom promises a 99.8% availability. We have never missed this, and on average exceed this target so outages are very rare thankfully.

The CS team aims to respond within a few hours to 1 business day. Very soon we'll be even faster, and we'll continue to give human support to everybody.

Bobby

Replied 23/10/2023
  • Industry: Internet
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Reviewed on 11/08/2022

Intercom is a support agent's delight!

Fantastic.

Pros

Intercom is easy to use and a supremely evolved support tool. It's a must have for early startups as they scale their businesses. Agent's can easily grasp and start using the product. The support articles are my favourite feature.

Cons

I didn't like that Intercom does not support WhatsApp templates triggering via system APIs basis user actions.

Reasons for Choosing Intercom

Yellow.ai was a super unintuitive product.

yellow.ai

Reasons for Switching to Intercom

Cheap and easy to install.
Olivia

Reviewed on 12/05/2021

Terrible customer service and onboarding

Onboarding was absolutely horrific. We even complained during onboarding about our rep. Basically our onboarding meeting comprised of --> Please log in and share your screen with us...now, what questions do you have for us?

Excuse me? This is your product, what do you mean what questions we have? Everything, including how to set up and use your products. But the answers we got was basically the same, to look up the help center and let them know if any questions. It was terrible. The sales process was more informative than the actual onboarding.

Awful response time from customer service. Can only chat, no calls. You're basically on your own once you pay them.

Pros

The product once you get past the setting up and figure out everything on your own, is great and meets our needs. It's easy to chat with leads and customer and easy to install on any websites.

Cons

Onboarding was a nightmare. Their help center is not all that helpful. You can only chat with customer service via the chatbot. It takes them 8 hours to over a day to respond back, if you're lucky (which is quite ironic for selling a chatbot product but they have zero urgency on their own). Everything costs extra, every feature is priced separately.

Response from Intercom

Hi Olivia, thank you for leaving us such a thorough and frank review. I'm glad that you found the tools meet your business needs but am sorry to hear our onboarding and support did not meet your expectations.

I will personally be taking this feedback to the teams involved to help inform future improvements we can make here.

Thank you for sharing this with us.
Kate (Intercom - Customer Engagement)

Replied 19/05/2021
Katarzyna

Reviewed on 24/05/2022

Intercome is up to something, but it's not there yet

In your everyday job, when you simply respond to incoming chats - Intercome is amazing. Once you want to do anything beyond that, it gets complicated, but not impossible. Also, their support is not really responsive, but you eventually get an answer from them.

Pros

The live chat! It's working perfectly, it's easy to set up, and easy to use by both the customer and the support agent - one of the best options on the market for me.

Cons

Everything besides the live chat - the knowledge base management has so little features and possibilities it hurt my soul everytime I needed to write an article :( Also, sending or receiving email is also quite a mess, it needs a little bit more work from Intercome.

Zendesk Suite

Help Scout
Matthew

Reviewed on 21/05/2021

A consolidated place for a lot of our support & customer success needs

Overall, Intercom has been very useful to our support team in consolidating systems and enabling us to respond to clients quickly and resolve their issues.

Pros

I particularly like Intercom's Inbox module. It supplies our support team with most of the tools they need to help our clients quickly, and share context with other team members.

The chat experience is top notch both internally for our team and for our clients.

Intercom's reporting is informative, specifically for tracking response times segmented by chat or email, or both.

Intercom's Articles feature for help docs helps us consolidate tools even more and makes it really easy to forward relevant articles to our clients quickly, while maintaining a consistent brand feel.

Cons

Intercom's campaigns (now Series) feature can be tricky to set up. Specifically, the sending logic can be confusing and is prone to accidents in our experience (i.e. accidentally sending to the wrong audience).

Messages inside of campaigns/series don't always seem to get sent out when they should. This means that some of our clients don't get messages at the right time (i.e. they get a welcome email 2 days after they sign up instead of immediately after signing up).

For new team members, Intercom has proven to be a little difficult to learn fully.

Response from Intercom

Thanks for taking the time to review Intercom Matthew! It's great to hear that Intercom is helping you consolidate your support systems and speed up resolutions.

I'll make sure to send you feedback regarding our Series product and onboarding/training experience to the relevant teams here as we really do value these insights.

Thanks again,
Kate (Intercom - Customer Engagement)

Replied 26/05/2021

Reviewed on 30/03/2022

Aggressive, Slow and Incompetent staff

They charge through the nose and treat long term customers like neglected children

Pros

It used to be good 5 years ago but now it’s overpriced

Cons

We are moving from intercom to a different chat provider after being with Intercom for 5 years. Fundamentally Intercom still charges a lot more than the competition but is no longer the market leader. I told intercom that we are going and [SENSITIVE CONTENT] offered us a better price. At first we were interested as there is a bit of hassle in moving. But I couldn’t believe what happened next…

[SENSITIVE CONTENT]was incredibly slow to reply and unprofessional. He probably is dealing with 1000 other customers who are leaving. Eventually he retracted the offer after a month after not “getting approval”. Why did he offer that in the first place? This is a slimy sales tactic straight out of the book. He never had any intention of matching the offer we received from a competitor.

After I complained that [SENSITIVE CONTENT] had wasted 1 month of time stalling us from leaving, he sent an aggressive reply in all capitals! I’m shocked and disgusted at this behaviour from a company.

Im cancelling my intercom account and moving to a company that appreciates their long term customers.

Katie

Reviewed on 09/06/2020

Simple to Administer, but Lacking Support Functionality

Overall, Intercom over-complicates the routing and automation for Support tickets, and customization and reporting are limited. Intercom provides a CRM solution that is simple and easy to administer, but for the cost, you will likely find a better long-term solution elsewhere.

Pros

Intercom was fairly simple to administer. Most features can easily be toggled on/off with a simple button and no complicated logic strings are required to set up permissions, workflow automation or campaigns.

Cons

Our company used the Pro version of the software and, for the price, there were several basic Support features that were lacking. There is no ability to merge or split tickets for example, and the Reporting is not very robust. One example is "Median Time to First Response" - Average Tfir was only available on the top tier version.
The "Inbox" system for sorting tickets can be cumbersome, and the ability to leverage bots was also limited by the subscription tier.
Also, tagging tickets as recommended by Intercom makes the task challenging for a Support team - the hierarchical structures are overly complex and can be created by anyone (there is no ability to restrict tag creation in the user permissions) which can result in many duplicates and poor tracking of customer sentiment data.

Response from Intercom

Hi Katie, thanks for taking the time to leave this review. I'm glad you found our features easy to utilize.

We're constantly evolving our support offerings so I've made sure to share your detailed feedback with our product team. We have some exciting releases in this space due later this summer which should help address some of your concerns :)

Thanks,
Kate (Intercom - Customer Support)

Replied 17/06/2020
Jessica

Reviewed on 26/04/2023

This software help me a lot!

Pros

Intercom makes it simple to interact with customers; its simple and user-friendly design allows me to easily start and maintain discussions. Furthermore, its customization options enable me to personalize communications to certain customer types or deliver targeted messages based on automated triggers. I really appreciate how Intercom can be coupled with other platforms such as Salesforce and Zendesk, which allows me to communicate with clients in a number of ways. The reporting capabilities of Intercom are particularly beneficial for identifying user activity and responding fast to customer needs. Overall, Intercom is a great tool for staying in touch with customers, whether through newsletters or automated support.

Cons

The intercom system has been commendable, with only a few minor hiccups or delays here and there which are understandable. Apart from that, it functions without a hitch, and this is a testimony to the diligent work put in by the development team. Their efforts have been invaluable in ensuring a smooth operation of the intercom system.

Jason

Reviewed on 19/08/2019

Intercom, an example of when people should stop building product

We're hitched to this wagon now for a while like it or not and they've got too much of our data, but I wish we weren't with Intercom, and one day we'll be brave enough to move.

Pros

The platform at the most core / basic level, a simple javascript install for conversations with your customers, BIG TICK. I like the user experience for your users using the chat widget.

Cons

It's ridiculously expensive and tiering it to your user numbers versus the number of customer support seats is fine, but it doesn't work once you get bigger, you'd just get a cheaper plugin. Also customer support for southern hemisphere is woeful, non-technical and the help docs / search (just try to even google stuff is very poor.

Help Scout and HubSpot CRM

Reasons for Switching to Intercom

At the this this was the slickest product.
Jo

Reviewed on 20/10/2023

A love-hate relationship with intercom

Overall great but could be much better if some of the above mentioned pain points are sorted.

Pros

For the most part intercom is a great product. We like: 1. the chat function. Clean, easy to find most information we need for support chats. 2. many useful features other than chat support: Help center, proactive supports.

Cons

1. Multi-locale support. I have been using intercom for about 3 years now and I am still shocked that there's no support for multiple locales in articles and messages, which are common on other platforms. In both jobs that I used it for we cater to very international audiences. This means that for every message and article we set up we have had to set up multiple of the same messages with a different suffix to distinguish the language. 2. Long lists of event and user properties. if you work with a big/complex products, there will be tons of events to use. It's sometimes difficult to find what you need, especially if you are not familiar with the lexicon, in that tiny dropdown list. 3. Support chats sometimes go to the user's email. This has happened quite a lot to us and we have got really frustrated users because of this. 4. A bit slow. I have always found navigating through intercom to be rather slow. I feel like I have to wait every single time I click on something.