About Zola Suite

Zola Suite is a cloud-based legal practice management solution for law firms of all sizes. Key features include task management, built-in email, document management, client portals, calendar, contact management, automation,...

All Zola Suite Reviews Apply filters

Browse Zola Suite Reviews

All Zola Suite Reviews Apply filters

Kit C. Kit C.

Reviewed on 15/09/2019

Best overall in case management software, but has minor UI annoyances

After using Clio, MyCase, and PracticePanther at various points in my career (and testing CosmoLex and RocketMatters most recently when opening a new firm), none of the CMS programs on the market have come close to ZolaSuite's comprehensive functionality. Having the ability to do not just case management and billing, but complete firm accounting/reconciliation is a godsend. The integrated CRM in the Enterprise Plus tier is fantastic - no need to have an outside CRM that may or may not fully integrate with your CMS. The email feature is the clencher - having an actual, FULL email inbox that syncs with Gsuite email makes keeping case-related correspondence a snap.

Pros

Robust program that covers everything from case management to client lead intake to comprehensive firm accounting. Easy to use and navigate for the most part. Integrated CRM and FULL accounting of all operating and trust accounts with triple reconciliation keeps the entire process streamlined and accessible without having to utilize a dozen different programs and hoping nothing falls through the cracks.

Cons

Has minor UI issues that can be annoying, particularly the inability to active a full subscription without going through a multi-step process involving both the sales department and support team at Zola. This should be a "click here, pick your plan, enter your payment method" process with no need to have it "activated" by the company before being able to use it. That being said, there are some additional features that I would love to see Zola add/integrate/improve ASAP (which I am sending to Zola as suggestions for future improvements). If these features were incorporated, ZolaSuite would certainly be a category killer and rapidly take over the entire market, but they are not "dealbreaker" items as far as I'm concerned for overall ratings.

Reasons for Choosing Zola Suite

Clio, despite dominating the market, is clunky and lacking in some incredibly basic functionality, plus they have basically stopped making internal feature additions and now rely upon third-party integrations almost completely, making the overall cost to have a truly full-spectrum software solution cost-prohibitive.

Clio

Reasons for Switching to Zola Suite

After using Clio, MyCase, and PracticePanther at various points in my career (and testing CosmoLex and RocketMatters most recently when opening a new firm), none of the CMS programs on the market have come close to ZolaSuite's comprehensive functionality. Having the ability to do not just case management and billing, but complete firm accounting/reconciliation is a godsend. The integrated CRM in the Enterprise Plus tier is fantastic - no need to have an outside CRM that may or may not fully integrate with your CMS. The email feature is the clencher - having an actual, FULL email inbox that syncs wtih Gsuite email makes keeping case-related correspondence a snap.
Jennifer A. Jennifer A.

Reviewed on 25/05/2021

Problems Never Seem to End

Overall - Be very careful before going Zola Suite. It's not a panacea. I'm currently looking into other programs that may be a bit more expensive, simply because Zolasuite has made me lose too much client chargeable time dealing with all their random quirks.

I'm a solo practitioner and, literally, time is money for me. I don't have an IT department to deal with the growing pains that Zola Suite is making their users experience.

Pros

Robust all-in-one package, which makes it very unique in the law practice management sphere. Very reasonably priced for the functionality. Relatively easy to use once you get past the learning curve. US-based support that is very responsive (more on that below).

Cons

Where do I begin?! I have had nothing but problems since the beginning - and I've only been using it for about 4 months. I prepaid for a year and now I regret it. I wanted an all-in-one reasonably priced software that includes CRM, accounting/billing, and time tracking without having to integrate with other apps. However, the program is a bit slow and clunky (I have a new laptop, so it's not the specs of the laptop).

At one point I could not access Ad--be pdf files, and I was on with support for about 3 hours trying to get it fixed. Turns out - they never saw this before. They fixed it, but it cost me 3 hours of client chargeable time.

Next issue was billing. Apparently, I had to SET UP bulk billing (which is free), if I wanted bulk billing. No one actually told me that through the whirlwind of training I initially received. First month I sent manual bills - no biggie. Next month, I had my web developer set it up on the back end as instructed. Turns out we ran into problems. BIG PROBLEMS. First, emails wouldn't go out b/c ONE client didn't have an email address. Their response - just add a dummy email. So I put in a dummy address - result: emails with invoices were sent to the clients, BUT they had NO ACCESS TO PAY ONLINE via email link. I spent hours with them to deal with the various billing matters. Again - their response - we've never had this issue before.
FINALLY - they removed Enterprise access to edit documents within Zola WITHOUT notifying me.

Response from Zola Suite

Hi Jennifer. Thank you for sharing your feedback. We're very sorry to hear about your negative experiences. We recognize that transitioning to a new platform can be challenging but we strive to make the process efficient and seamless whether you're a solo practitioner or a member of a 200-user firm. In reviewing your feedback, it seems that many of these issues could have been resolved with more comprehensive training and better communication during the onboarding process. We have shared this feedback with our dedicated onboarding and training team, and a member of our senior leadership team will be in touch to make sure you are configured for success with Zola moving forward.

Replied 01/06/2021
Peggyann W. Peggyann W.

Reviewed on 06/04/2021

Great Product!

Time management has been greatly improved. I was very nervous to change software as I have been using the same software for just short of 20 years (we used the same software in our prior firm). The Zola Suite team was amazing at holding my hand through the process and making sure that we were satisfied with everything.

Pros

Zola Suite saves us time that we didn't realize we were wasting before. We're able to efficiently maintain and manage clients, files and leads all in one place. It also makes working from home as efficient as working in the office. Further customer support is amazing. They promptly answer every single question and concern.

Cons

There is very little that we dislike about Zola Suite. Anything that we have concerns about, they try to address and show us a proper way to manage. There are definitely some areas that are different than our prior software but that's to be expected. There are so many benefits to Zola Suite that we are not actually able to take full advantage of them yet as we are still working on transitioning to the system and learning the ins and outs.

Reasons for Choosing Zola Suite

We wanted a program that worked better for us in a remote setting.

PCLaw

Reasons for Switching to Zola Suite

Zola Suite was an all in one accounting, document management and time keeping software at a reasonable price. I also loved the look of it and the availability of support through the trial period.

Top Zola Suite Alternatives

Conner W. Conner W.

Reviewed on 26/05/2021

Excellent Practice Management Software

Pros

On the whole, Zola is an excellent practice management software. The onboarding process was smooth and we were easily able to get our client and matter databases uploaded.

The built-in email integration is hands-down the best feature about Zola. After linking your email account, the integrated email application allows us to quickly and easily save client correspondence and attachments directly to the associated matter. The integration intelligently recognizes the senders email address and suggests the matter to which it should be saved based on the matter contacts.

Billing & Invoicing is a breeze and has saved us so much time. You can set up invoice templates to display relevant information for your clients and then choose which template(s) you would like to use for each individual matter upon creation. It is quick and easy to add flat fees, time entries and expenses for matters, and then Zola quickly generates an invoice of any items you wish to include. Invoices are automatically updated when you add incoming payments and LawPay credit card processing is included with the software.

Matter management is solid and better than competitors like Clio. You can design your matters based on practice area with custom fields to incorporate the most important information for those matter types. The matter dashboard/overview can then be customized to show all the most useful information (including custom fields) from all matters in one spot.

Cons

The CRM feels pretty lacking. The fact that it is included is a nice bonus over other practice management offerings, but the overall functionality isn't great. You can't customize the CRM/sales process stages or really anything about the CRM for that matter, so you have to brute force your own process to fit what is given to you. We decided to use a different software for our CRM because it ultimately takes too much time to manage and stay on top of leads in the CRM as it stands now in Zola.

Task management is fine, but could be better. There are task templates which allow you to create an overall task (e.g. "client intake") with subtask workflows, but the templates don't allow you to designate individual due dates for the subtasks or set them up as dependencies, which would be much more useful

Clio

Response from Zola Suite

Hi, Conner. Thank you for your feedback; we're thrilled to hear that Zola Suite has helped to improve your firm's efficiency and profitability. We're sorry that Zola CRM's capabilities have not lived up to your expectations. Currently, firms can only customize CRM Sources within Firm Settings but we're working on a major update that will include the ability to customize CRM stages.

With respect to task management, we're actively working on the ability to add individual due dates for subtasks. We'll be sure to update you when it's released.

Replied 04/06/2021
Ramey K. Ramey K.

Reviewed on 06/02/2018

Overall, very pleased with the software, generally easy to use, really enjoy working with the...

Handles most of the tasks of law firm administration and management with ease. Really makes life and running a law office simpler, particularly for a solo or small firm with little to no staff.

Pros

The responsiveness of tech support and customer service to not only troubleshooting problems, but suggested features and improvements, is absolutely top notch. That alone is enough to really recommend Zola.

Cons

Sometimes, the workflow can be a bit awkward, as some features are less intuitive or require more steps. Links that you would expect to be there are sometimes missing (for example, there is no way to click on the Matter on the Task item to go to the Matter page). For the most part, though, these things are often fixed in updates, and the usability continues to be refined so that clunkier parts of the site get better over time.

Michael L. Michael L.

Reviewed on 21/11/2017

Great now, but with room to grow even greater.

Pros

The website and app are easy to use, responsive and have a fairly logical layout. It's easy to search and find information, and data input is relatively simple. Our office doesn't use Zola as an all-in-one solution, but for the parts we use daily (which is still most of the features), we're very happy with the state of the software.

Customer service has been incredibly responsive, and you really get the feel that they are willing to invest the time in problem solving. I also really feel like my input has been taken into account as product updates roll out.

The mobile app has improved by leaps and bounds. It is in an excellent place, and very usable.

Cons

There are still a few bugs and features to fill in gaps as the software matures further, but nothing that prevents functionality. I've been with Zola for about 18 months; what would have been my biggest cons 6 months ago have since been addressed.

The email interface requires the most work, but it too is nonetheless in a good state. Tagging emails to cases could be a little easier, and moving emails to different folders could be more responsive and update more quickly.

I'd also quibble about needing to use multiple tabs to get full functionality out of the software (at minimum, Dashboard, Email, and Calendar all need to be semi-permanently open because it's not easy to switch between them otherwise); That's not a huge deal, just a minor annoyance.

Last thing, and this is very minor: I'd love to see a style update through the whole website. It's not cluttered, which is great, but I don't feel like it has a very modern look.

Joe B. Joe B.

Reviewed on 23/08/2017

Finally ... a forward-thinking, cutting edge solution combining full functionality and ease of...

Pros

The email integration is a revelation. Not only does it allow me to organize all email by matter, the automatic timer that creates a time entry for every email pays for the subscription by itself. Document management and automation are both outstanding in Zola. The user interface is outstanding. Every screen is logically laid out, packed with all the information I want to see at a glance, and visually appealing (don't underestimate the value there - if it's irritating to look at, you won't want to use it). The integrated accounting solution is excellent, including the ability to write checks directly from Zola. Everything about Zola suggests that this solution combines the ability to cover all of the usual practice management bases (calendar, tasks, time entry, etc) with the vision to develop and incorporate new, innovative features that will set new industry standards and to rethink how the ordinary can be done more efficiently. The option of creating a custom-branded app for your practice is just one example of what sets Zola apart. Another is the email integration with R-Post, providing the ability to send encrypted, registered email that provides proof of delivery and receipt. Litigators will love that capability. I've tried all the industry leaders, and I have finally found a long-term solution.

Cons

The process of sending an invoice could be streamlined, enabling the entire creation and delivery of the invoice from one screen (it requires a trip to the accounting tab to finish), and a send button would be nice, rather than the small share icon. Still, once you learn it, the process works as is. The client portal is new and fairly basic (with the exception of the optional smart phone app), enabling only limited document sharing, and lacks the private messaging and other functions I have found in other providers. But I think it is only a matter of time before Zola fully develops this secure communication tool. Email integration has been a bit buggy, but so far tech support has resolved any issues that cropped up.

Reviewed on 07/03/2019

A must have for every modern law office

Pros

All the features Zola has to offer far exceed my expectations. The fact that you can tie every aspect of your law office in one central location makes everything so much easy in day to day operations. Document storage, data base, billing, expense tracking, template creation and usage, email. Everything you need in one location at the touch of a button

Cons

Emailing has limits in that there is no delivery/read receipt. In this day of electronic filing and communication, these features are very important to a law office. The app has a significant amount of limits that make its use a bit frustrating for our attorneys as they can't utilize all the billing codes properly for our firm.

Response from Zola Suite

Thank you for your review! We're committed to your firm's success and we're so happy to hear that we've exceeded your expectations.

We do offer advanced proof of (email) delivery via an exclusive integration with RMail. We'd be happy to walk you through the process of sending one of these messages. As with the other features in Zola Suite, it's designed with the user in mind and you can do it all right through your dashboard ¿ no third party logins required!

We'd love to learn a bit more about the issues you've encountered with billing codes. Our main goal is to help you run a more efficient practice, so please contact us at your earliest convenience.

Replied 12/03/2019
Jeffrey K. Jeffrey K.

Reviewed on 17/09/2019

Great Suite to Manage Law Practice

I'm amble to monitor my associates with ease. The problem, like everything else, was getting them to buy in. Once they did, everyone's life is much easier.

Pros

There is so much information that you can include within each matter, including contacting information, billable, documents, emails, etc., that makes it the only comprehensive choice that I would consider for law practice management.

Cons

I wish there was a dashboard that was developed for each matter that displayed everything in one comprehensive page, rather than having to visit multiple tabs.

-edward R. -edward R.
  • Industry: Legal Services

Reviewed on 24/01/2018

Good Product -- would subscribe agan

Saves me about 3 hours a month on billing and other administrative tasks.

Pros

I like the ability that this product gives me to blend different types of billing methods within the same client. I have been searching for a product that would allow both hourly and flat fee billing by matter and not client.

Cons

Still trying to get my hands around the accounting module. Not sure if I am better to wait for full Quick Books integration to start using that functionality. Need to have some method for accounting for expense disbursement which does not require the entry of a check.

Nick R. Nick R.

Reviewed on 22/11/2019

An extremely well crafted and deftly supported business suite

I think I've pretty well covered this in the previous questions, but Zola has really revolutionized and simplified how I do my work. I frequently have to work from home, and that always used to be a major hassle. Now, however, it is easy as can be.

Pros

Zola allows for complete control of any aspect of your business from absolutely anywhere. Provided, of course, that you have access to the internet. No more dragging files to and from locations, or being unable to check on work from home or vacation. A simple log in to the service, and you can be anywhere while still being aware and up to date.

Cons

There isn't much to say in terms of negative content that I personally have experienced. Any issues I can even remotely think of, such as site layout and template availability, for instance, have been deftly and quickly handled by the wonderful support staff.

Kasondra S. Kasondra S.

Reviewed on 29/10/2018

Great customer service

We absolutely love the customer service. Any time we have an issue or notice a function that we wish Zola had they immediately take care of it and even add the functions we prefer.

Pros

We researched what program to switch to for a long time before we decided on Zola. It has all the functions in one place that we require for our law firm.

Cons

We have not used the email section a lot.

Mindy Y. Mindy Y.

Reviewed on 28/06/2017

Zola is everything I need to run my firm- all in one place.

Pros

I love that I am able to create forms; easily save emails and attachments to matters; and manage my billing and trust accounts - all without ever leaving Zola. I have tried other case management software- and this one is, by far, the most intuitive and easy to use.

Sheri T. Sheri T.

Reviewed on 28/11/2017

Need a manual to help with main features. It is good software, just not customer friendly at...

It does help me stay organized with time schedules, tasks to do, and client matters. It had good points, but is not very user friendly.

Pros

The software provides the ability to keep track of which area is bringing in more clients. Setting up the matters is a good function. Finally syncing the calendar with google is a plus (even if it did double everything at first..

Cons

Billing is difficult and does not integrate with bank accounts. Doubles the time. Also making corrections to information or adding information to the client matter is not easy and has no clear directions. Need a how-to manual.

Response from Zola Suite

Hi Sheri,

Thank you for providing this feedback. Our team is currently in the process of creating a detailed user manual, but in the meantime you can access many instructional articles and videos by visiting our Help Center here: https://help.zolasuite.com/portal/home

We plan on releasing a live bank account feed by the end of Q4, so we will be sure to reach out to you once that update is live.

You can update Matter information at any time by going directly to that Matter and selecting the field you wish to edit.

Our Support team is available to answer any questions you may have, and go through our Billing features in more detail. We offer unlimited training, so feel free to reach out by phone or email.

Kind Regards,
Eileen Ehrlich
Client Success Manager

Replied 01/12/2017
Shahzad K. Shahzad K.

Reviewed on 30/03/2017

Very Satisfied - Excellent Software Solution for Solo

I've been using ZolaSuite for little over a month. I have to say it is very easy to use. I thought I would contacting support for help over and over again. But, I think in the past month I have maybe called them once. Its ease of use is what jumps out at you. Its very intuitive. As a solo, my practice is growing and I needed something better than Excel Spreedsheets to organize myself. ZolaSuite does it all. I have used other programs on the market before at other law firms. They do not compare in the ease of use and all the functionality available within ZolaSuite. So I would highly recommend it.

Pros

Features; ease of use

Cons

None

Melissa A. Melissa A.

Reviewed on 18/03/2019

Zola Suite Makes it Easy to Everything in One Place!

My experience has been great. From the onboarding process to the help center, Zola has been super helpful.

Pros

I like that it is everything I need to run my law practice in one app. I don't need separate accounting software or separate timekeeping software. It's all in one place.

Cons

Some things aren't as intuitive as I'd like. I wish I could send invoices from my phone (if I can, Zola, let me know!) But, the help center is really easy to navigate and usually has an answer for my question.

Mallory M. Mallory M.

Reviewed on 09/04/2019

Zola Review

Pros

The best part about Zola is the customer support. Every time that I email them a question, they respond very quickly. I was also able to schedule a telephone walk-through of the software when I started at my firm, which was extremely helpful.

Cons

My only wish for Zola is that scheduling would be easier, but I put that down to likely user-error, in that I just don't know how to properly use this functionality.

Jennifer D. Jennifer D.

Reviewed on 11/04/2019

5 out of 5 stars

Pros

The best thing is that everything is in one program. Calendar, e-mail, documents, billing, etc. Also, you can log in from any where and from any computer.

Cons

When you leave the calendar to go into another option, it defaults back to my calendar (I do not use a separate calendar at work) but Zola is working on this so soon it will default to the attorney calendars I use daily.

Sanaz S. Sanaz S.

Reviewed on 24/01/2018

Such an easy program to use

Billing, mail, saving and templates.

Pros

Everything is integrated in an easy web based platform that is user friendly and intuitive. You can easily work, bill, handle emails and documents all in one place.

Cons

Wish I could duplicate the last billing entry when working on one file and entering multiple billing entries.

Ahmed M. Ahmed M.

Reviewed on 18/07/2017

I love the causeway app.

Pros

The Caseway Edge App is a big plus. It gives a good impression on clients. Secondly, the client portal is also great.

Cons

I wish it had more features that was real estate law specific. For instant dates that would go onto the calendar as deliverable dates and/or reminders.

Reviewed on 21/11/2017

ZolaSuite has greatly increased efficiency in my practice.

Pros

The timekeeping and invoicing features have definitely streamlined our billing process and trust account record keeping.

Cons

There have been a few quirks we have noticed, but customer support is always there to helpsort anything out!

Toni L. Toni L.

Reviewed on 08/03/2021

Zola Suite - Accounting

Pros

The billing and expenses aspects of Zola is very user friendly

Cons

The accounting reports that Zola produces needs improvement.

Response from Zola Suite

Thank you for your feedback. We'll have a member of our client success team reach out to you to learn more about your reporting needs.

Replied 15/03/2021
John C. John C.

Reviewed on 25/01/2016

Zola is the most intuitive and well contemplated attorney software on the market.

Zola keeps my practice organized, efficient, and profitable. It has genuinely changed my firm for the better. Since I began using Zola I spend far less time compiling billable hours and searching for missing disbursements, and more time improving my firm.

Antonio V. Antonio V.

Reviewed on 12/08/2016

Great product which keeps getting better & customer service can't be beat

Zola Suite is an excellent product which delivers in every advertised aspect. You get exactly what they tell you you will get. And if you're unsure, you get a free trial of the product for 1 month to decide for yourself. In the 6+ months I've used Zola Suite I am continuously impressed by the features the product contains (and the list grows on a weekly basis by way of updates that happen in the background). When I began using Zola Suite there were lots of features that weren't necessary for me as a solo-practitioner who just started his own firm. However, now that I have a secretary and two paralegals, I see how helpful & useful all the functions are that several months ago I did not even see a need for. Zola is an excellent company, run by people with a true passion for the work they do and the product they are selling. The couple times I have had issues that necessitated my calling customer support, someone was always on the other end of the line right away, they addressed my concerns & if they couldn't, they assured me whatever issue would be brought up to the developers to come up with a fix ASAP. And in the few occasions I had an issue they couldn't immediately remedy, they lived to their promise that it was fixed within a couple days.

The reason I so wholeheartedly endorse this product is because I spent a lot of time researching the best case/firm management software for my firm today as well as my firm as I see it 1, 5, and 10 years down the road. I demo'ed all the other options as I did Zola and in the end even though Zola wasn't the most feature packed, or didn't have the most 3rd party integration as some of the others had at that time, I knew from speaking to them that everything I needed would be coming, and when it came, it would be delivered in a better, easier to use, more seamless package than any of their competitors. And after close to 9 months with Zola, everything I was promised has been delivered and then some. If I could invest my own money into this company I would do so in a heartbeat.

Pros

Great user interface. Reliable. Excellent customer service. Consistent updates making the product even better & adding new features (without charging you more for them).

Cons

Not every feature you want may be available today.

Lucas H. Lucas H.

Reviewed on 29/12/2020

Zola Suite is Great for Law Practice but could use Improvement

Overall, Zola Suite makes it easy to track time, billing, deadlines, maintain notes on interviews and phone calls. If Zola ironed out some kinks, including the ease by which emails are saved from Outlook into the software, it would be a top product.

Pros

Billing and keeping track of time is very easy with this software. Additionally, the "Tasks" feature is very helpful for remembering deadlines and the like.

Cons

Zola Suite does have a few bugs that could use some ironing out. Some days, some of the features are unavailable. At times, saving emails to the email page from Outlook is not as easy as it should be. If Zola Suite addressed this, it would be near perfect.

Response from Zola Suite

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, Lucas! We're so glad to hear that Zola Suite's time tracking and task management features have helped you be more efficient. A member of our team will be in touch to discuss the Outlook issue you're experiencing; it sounds like we may need to update your Outlook plugin.

Replied 30/12/2020