QuickBooks Online Reviews

About QuickBooks Online

QuickBooks Online is a small business accounting software and app that allows you to manage your business anywhere, anytime. Used by over 7 million customers globally, QuickBooks provides smart tools for your business, yet is...

4.2
4.2

Browse QuickBooks Online Reviews

7,264 of 7,264 reviews
Jesse
Jesse
  • Industry: Food Production

Reviewed on 14/05/2024

Amazing software for small business

Makes my life easier i am a manager at a small business and it makes payroll extremely easy

Pros

How simple it is to use compared to other products..Great for small businesses.

Cons

There is not many cons to this .so this is a tough one .

kgomotso

Reviewed on 16/05/2024

QuickBook - The best of the best

My overall experience with QuickBooks Online has been overwhelmingly positive. I've been able to streamline my financial management, automate many tasks, and gain valuable insights into my business's performance. The software has been reliable and easy to use, with frequent updates and improvements that keep it fresh and relevant. Overall, I've found QuickBooks Online to be a valuable tool that has helped me grow and succeed in my business.

Pros

I liked the ease of use and intuitive interface of QuickBooks Online. It was incredibly easy to set up and start using, even for a small business owner with limited accounting experience. I also appreciated the seamless integration with other tools and apps, making it easy to track expenses and stay organized. Overall, QuickBooks Online has been a game-changer for my business, allowing me to focus on growth and development rather than getting bogged down in administrative tasks.

Cons

Nothing really. I found everything to be easy to use.

Anne

Reviewed on 13/06/2024

Quickbooks, many bells and whistles but overkill and over-clicking for a small business

I loved Quickbooks desktop. It was simple to use and easy to pick and choose the tasks I wanted. Unfortunately we switched, a monumental undertaking for an office of 2. We got everything balanced and a bookkeeper at accounting was reconciling the payroll and it has never balanced since. The cons of too many clicks but easy tasks being nonexistent make it a cumbersome and unfriendly tool for an uber small office like ours. Larger small businesses and ones that use all the features may have better luck.

Pros

It is a way to record deposits, it links with my bank, and provides a platform to communicate accounting with our CPA.

Cons

Too many features which I don't use can't be sent to the background. They are constantly trying to sell me more on the app, which I do pay for so why am I being advertised to? Something that should be simple like saving a deposit that I am working on and staying on that deposit can't be done. I have to either save and new or save and close. So if I don't save it, get distracted and it times out, I loose my deposit, which may have had 20 items in it pending.

Top QuickBooks Online Alternatives

Adam

Reviewed on 15/06/2024

The swiss knife of accounting

We use an accounting company to manage our financial reporting. Our use of this software is mostly for internal performance tracking and for making decisions.
For the intended use, it works perfectly. I would have loved though if there was further customization for example with reporting and analytics.

Pros

The design of the software, in general, is user-friendly. I studied accounting, but even my team members who didn't, had an easy time with the learning curve.
I also like that it is Cloud-Based and that the entire team can access it from different devices.
Another feature I thoroughly enjoyed, is the automated reports. I set it to be sent automatically to the management team before every performance meeting.

Cons

Customer support is pretty slow to solve inquiries, and on certain occasions, several days would pass and when we check with them they would start the resolution process from scratch.

Mujeezah
  • Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

Reviewed on 04/07/2024

QuickBooks Online does what it does well

QuickBooks Online helps us simplify our bank statements.KEEP IT UP!!

Pros

I like that with QBO I can do invoices which helps to keep track of our records plus I adore it's features which allows us to import our banks activities and apply rules to properly code the transactions.

Cons

Honestly I can't think of any cons,QBO does all that I yarn for KUDOS!!

Rachel
  • Industry: Individual & Family Services

Reviewed on 13/05/2024

Pros: overall great product. Recomend. Cons: Zero phone support on weekends.

Overall I am happy as a user. Will continue to use it.

Pros

I like that most accoiuntants and businesses use it. Widely recongnized software. Used to use Wave. Switched to QB because I could not find a specialist who would help me with Wave.

Cons

No live phone support on weekends. Business owners work 24/7. Live support on weeknds is essential. ADP has a great phone support 7 days a week, I wish QB had the same.

Daisy

Reviewed on 03/07/2024

Overall QBO is a great product for anyone to use, it's user-friendly and affordable

Pros

The ease of the cloud software and the fact that you can use it from anywhere at anytime with multiple people.

Cons

Payroll is not as user friendly as the desktop version

Melinda
Melinda

Reviewed on 21/06/2024

Great for a beginner

Pros

The functionality is really worth it all. I am not tech savvy at all but this is very easy to use

Cons

I don't really care for the fees attached card processing and payments.

Robert

Reviewed on 03/06/2024

Quick Books Online

It is medium at best to the point we are looking at other products,

Pros

They are a Canadian company. Quickbooks online is secure and supports 2FA to protect your data.

Cons

The biggest issue is the lack of support.

Samuel
  • Industry: Entertainment
  • Used Monthly for 2+ years

Reviewed on 14/05/2024

Quickbooks is alright, Intuit is awful

Quickbooks was fine at first, but the issues started piling up and then the cost continued to rise with no visible improvements in the software or service. Over that same time, competitors popped up and recently I made the happy switch to Xero which I've found to be a much better experience all around.

Pros

It worked well for inventory management across multiple storefronts/invoicing systems and was easy to connect my accountant with.

Cons

Customer Service was atrocious. I would have tickets open for almost a year, sometimes being resolved, other times being told "sorry, that's a known issue and there's nothing we can do". The incompatibility between QBO and Intuits own backend created many issues, including fees for products I wasn't using.

Scott
  • Industry: Printing

Reviewed on 30/08/2019

Too many problems with the Software and poor support

First, when I moved my business from Quickbooks desktop to Quickbooks Online, it cost me thousands of dollars in accounting fees to fix all the errors that QBO introduced. The transition was a nightmare, and took months to sort out. Inuit was ZERO help during this time.

Since then QBO has gotten worse, not better. There are constant sync issues with bank accounts and credit cards, and QBO staff always recommend that you call your bank or credit card company. But these are QBO issues, and can only be resolved by QBO engineers, sometimes with the help of the bank or card company in question. It's ridiculous to ask a consumer to get involved in those kinds of issues, and a complete waste of time.

I have had numerous times where a credit card purchase showed as being processed, but only months later we found it didn't and lost the money - thousands of dollars in total. QBO and Intuit Merchant services take no responsibility.

Recently QBO forced Paypal as a payment option, and users cannot turn it off. But payments come in with no name associated with the payment. QBO insists this is a paypal problem, but it is not. A client receives an invoice online, pays it online, and then Quickbooks cannot match the payment to a name, but won't let you turn off paypal as an option. If clients pay an invoice just using your email, using paypal without QBO, then payments match. Clearly QBO has a big problem here.

Pros

It is convenient when it works. You can theoretically sync your bank accounts, credit cards and client payments, saving time in accounting and eliminating a lot of data entry

Cons

Merchant Services is expensive and unresponsive. The software has many bugs, and often won't sync with accounts for days or more. Tech support is hit and miss, and often I will resolve an issue before they can. In line ads are extremely annoying, and QBO treats its customers as a product, rather than a customer. There is no service level agreement and Intuit takes zero responsibility if they lose your data. They no longer have a phone number you can call. You have to wait for a callback, and many times they don't call back.

Xero

Reasons for Choosing QuickBooks Online

We switched from Quickbooks desktop to Quickbooks Online so our accounting would not be tied to one computer.

QuickBooks Desktop

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Online

I chose what I knew. I didn't understand at the time however that Quickbooks Desktop and Quickbooks Online are like two completely different companies. They don't talk to each other, and QBO is an inferior product in many ways. These two things are not the same.
Breanna

Reviewed on 30/07/2021

Best for those not trained in accounting

QBO is great because it allows our clients access to their books any time, anywhere. We are finding this is increasingly important to our clients. It also allows clients to do their own invoicing and receive payments themselves in the same system we are using for their bookkeeping. This product really is the future of bookkeeping.

Pros

Far and away the best feature of this software is that it's cloud based. So many clients want to be able to see their books from anywhere, at any time, on any device. If you are using this for a small business and are not trained in bookkeeping/accounting, this is the easiest bookkeeping software on the market.

Cons

If you are a trained bookkeeper/accountant you will likely be disappointed that it's not as flexible as Sage 50. They payroll module is terrible unless you have simple payroll with no deductions or special pay circumstances. While you can do a journal entry with a supplier name, you can't enter a negative invoice. They've updated with a credit card credit that allows you to enter a negative credit card transaction but it's limited to credit card transactions only.

Sage 50cloud Accounting

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Online

QBO is far more advanced than the Sage cloud product. My preference would be Sage 50 but because this is cloud based, it's the next best thing.
Ahmad
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Reviewed on 20/09/2022

QBO is excellent for non-profit except for a few limitations

It is the best for small size non-profits as long as one can find an away to produce end of year donation tax statements

Pros

If you know how to setup the chart of accounts including using Locations and Classes you can fairly run non-profit accounting very smoothly. Data entry is simple. Reporting is fairly good.
Import and export functions are very good.

Cons

There are serious limitations with issuing end of year donation statements. One can't filter out sales and can't customize the statement text to meet regulations. The statements are very inflexible.

Aplos

Reasons for Choosing QuickBooks Online

Online access and easier user experience

QuickBooks Desktop

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Online

Although Aplos was made for non-profits it didn't give us the flexibility to setup our chart of accounts to enable the required reporting across restricted/unrestricted funds, programs and bank accounts.
Tre
  • Industry: Events Services

Reviewed on 11/03/2023

A Quick, QuickBooks Review

I found the program to be user-friendly and effective in managing their finances. I discovered Quickbooks Online as a Small Business owner & found that QuickBooks Online makes it simple to prepare and send expert invoices, track spending, and produce reports to aid in financial decision-making.The software's user-friendly interface and capacity for integration with other tools, such as payment processors or payroll systems, this was a huge valued to me. Users may also value the convenience of having access to the software from any location with an internet connection.

Pros

The Invoicing, Because it helpa users make invoices that increase professionalism, QuickBooks Online provides editable invoice templates, which is a huge help. Along with the ability for users can automate payment reminders and create recurring bills.

Cons

There are reports online that some users have had problems with the software's customer service. While some customers say they have had good experiences with customer service, others say it can be difficult to get quick and efficient help when they run into problems with the software.

FreshBooks

Reasons for Choosing QuickBooks Online

Better Service, more intuitive platform.

Xero

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Online

Quickbook's User-friendly interface: QuickBooks Online offers an intuitive layout that is simple to use and comprehend, making it the perfect choice for companies without a specialized accounting team.QBO has a wide range of additional programs and tools it can link with, including as payroll providers, payment processors, and project management software. This can boost productivity and streamline your company's operations.Accounting software like QuickBooks Online has robust invoicing and spending monitoring features that can help companies better manage their cash flow.Reports that can be customized include cash flow statements, balance sheets, and profit and loss statements in QuickBooks Online. Users can also design unique reports based on their particular requirements.
Anthony
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Reviewed on 02/05/2023

Streamline Your Accounting Process with Quickbooks Online

I had the chance to work with Quickbooks Online while serving as an IT intern at a small firm near my university. I discovered the software to be user-friendly and intuitive. I could access financial data using its cloud-based platform from any place, which was especially helpful when working remotely. I had no trouble creating and sending invoices, keeping track of spending, or handling payroll. I was able to further streamline the accounting process because to the software's connectivity with other third-party programs.

Pros

In order to meet the requirements of small businesses, Quickbooks Online provides a full range of accounting tools. Users can access financial data through its cloud-based platform at any time and from any location. The program includes tools for controlling expenses, managing payroll, and tracking inventory. Additionally, Quickbooks Online integrates with many different third-party applications, giving users more functionality and flexibility. Users find it simple to learn how to use and navigate thanks to its user-friendly interface and thorough instructions.

Cons

The pricing structure of Quickbooks Online is one of its biggest flaws. The cost of the program is determined by the plan and the number of users, and it is charged on a monthly subscription basis. The price may be too high for some users, particularly small firms with tight resources. Additionally, despite the software's extensive feature set, not all businesses may find it useful because some users may need more specialized accounting tools.

Samuel
  • Industry: Internet

Reviewed on 16/02/2024

No support whatsoever

Abysmal. We've experienced too many bugs, and they lost our payroll data with no resolution in sight.

Pros

It has most of the features we need, and doesn't feel like a compromise compared to a desktop app. It's initially easy to set-up and use.

Cons

It's extremely buggy, and the support is non-existent. Modules stop working entirely, like the whole payroll system, and it can take weeks or months before the issue is resolved. Think about that for a second.

Their support is horrendous; they do not call back when they say they will, and will never let you speak with a supervisor or anyone who could possibly escalate your ticket. Every time you call back, you're starting from scratch; The bottom-line is, when something goes wrong, no one is ever held accountable, and you are on your own.

Also note that the US and Canadian instances are a completely different product, and so it's difficult to find 3rd party plugins that work with your geographical region.

Kristie
Kristie
  • Industry: Entertainment

Reviewed on 19/05/2021

Top Financial Management App

It’s been an amazing experience because it organizes all of my costs and data. I don’t spend as much as I used to now that I categorize my business and personal costs. It’s always a good sign to keep the personal costs and see how much I need to save each time I get paid. I categorize all of my direct deposit as business costs and the money I spend when I got shopping as personal costs.

Pros

This app is great for those who own a business or is self-employed and likes having one app to store all the data on costs. I love being able to choose whether the cost is business-related or personal. The bank accounts are all linked to this one app and I can keep a record of what goes in my account and what is spent. I keep a track of every cent I use and spend. My favorite is seeing how much I earn and how much my business profits within a year.

Cons

Sometimes, the bank accounts get disconnected due to internet issue last and it can take a while to link the accounts again. The accounts get disconnected for unknown reasons even if I don’t change my account information on the bank account site. It can take a few hours to a few days to reconnect and retrieve the costs.

Reviewed on 02/03/2023

If you have < 10 EEs and need time billing, there are better options

Overall, it's the best thing out there. Unfortunately, Intuit works tirelessly to increase the revenue they get from each customer. Not by adding functionality; but by deprecating features and moving them to higher tiers of the product.

Pros

QBO was wonderful prior to their acquiring TSheets, and deprecating their built-in time tracking. If you don't do time-billing, then QBO is still great.

Cons

As of this review - 2 years after they acquired T-sheets; the level of integration is very poor. Instead of waiting to introduce the product after the integration is finished, Intuit chose to deprecate a very nicely defined time billing feature and replace it with something that requires a lot more work. You cannot see the status of your billables until you review and approve the hours in t-sheets; and then export it to QBO. If you want to see a tabular summary of the billable hours in T-sheets, the only option is to export to csv! Your QBO dashboard only shows what has been approved and exported from T-sheets. The entire process is extremely cumbersome, kludgy, and frustrating. And - did I mention you have to pay more to be able to allow your employees to enter their time. That used to be included in the price. Also - beware, Intuit regularly increases the cost of using the product. It's now double what I started with. They play a shell game with repackaging by deprecating features from the current version to drive you to the more expensive version.

Scott

Reviewed on 09/09/2020

Looks good from the outside but crap under the hood

Pros

The software has some decent functionality in the inventory syncing between sales channels and purchase orders, product creation. But this would be a pretty expensive option for just inventory syncing.

Cons

Where to start... The back end reporting is the worst I have ever come across in any system. You cant run any type of clear order reporting, my accountants (two different ones) had to manually look at each order to reconcile payments for their wholesale module because there is no proper order reporting. When you ask TradeGecko about any gaps in reporting or any other lack of functionality they ask you to 'submit a feature request'. I submitted 11 of them over 1 year and have not heard back on any of them. Toerh negatives: You can not enter in any custom shipping amounts in the system. You can not enter in a ship to address when creating a new order for any drop ship orders, you have to go in a create a whole new customer in a different section of the system then go back into the order just to use a 1 time shipping address. You can't print or even export your inventory count reconciliation report... I have to take screenshots and then paste to excel just so I can have a report to investigate from... and these are just a few of the major gaps with this system. The support is worse that the gaps, there is no one to call you can only email them and it often takes weeks before you get a response and often the only response you get is to 'submit a feature request'. Save your money but more importantly save you time and look for another option.

Cin7 Core

Price.
Edward
Edward
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Reviewed on 05/06/2021

Really...what choice do you have? Nobody ever got fired for going with IBM...or QuickBooks...

We primarily use QuickBooksOnline to generate and track invoices, as well as "keep the books" (General Ledger). It does these things well, but the learning curve is steep and I often find myself wondering why it does not have an obvious feature (like - why can't I get a subtotal within an invoice? Why can't I sort items within the invoice before making it final?). Beyond that, I have found the service / support to be lacking, and I am not at all keen about the fact that they incrementally increase the price once you are committed to using their product. Can I recommend? I suppose, but it would be a lukewarm recommendation. Really, it comes down to the fact that once your business is too large to use Excel for invoicing and General Ledger, QuickBooks is the defacto standard. I do not love it, but I don't hate it - yet. If they keep raising the subscription fees though, they will push me into doing some research for a replacement.

Pros

It does what it does well, and it is the standard, so you don't have to worry about acceptance or compatibility issues with your clients or with your financial institutions, nor with your accountant and / or bookkeeper.

Cons

Just because it is the standard doesn't make it the "Gold Standard"; it does the basic things you need it to do, but I often find myself wondering why some obvious functionality is missing, despite the fact that the learning curve is steep. And...they have a sneaky way of repeatedly raising the subscription fees once they have you committed to their product.

Karan

Reviewed on 17/11/2022

"Value for money"

With Quickbooks, I can generally see how my business is doing. I can keep track of my costs, sales, inventories, financial reports, and other crucial data for making wise decisions. The thoroughness of Quickbooks is what I appreciate most about it. A user-friendly accounting and inventory system is available for small to medium-sized businesses. Additionally, its configurable reports tailored to the user's data needs. Daily, weekly, monthly, and even annual sales reports, inventory-related reports, expense reports, accounts payable and receivable reports, banking, and many more are just a few of the reports that are crucial to a business owner.

Pros

I'm Karan Kumar, a digital marketing analyst. Hello. Comparing Quickbooks to other financial software, I believe it to be one of the better options for small businesses. This software is also used to manage the business's debts and data. Additionally, this software is user-friendly and simple to use.easy and multi-platform accessibility It is fairly user-friendly for business owners wherever there is internet access, and it is supported by a vast network of accountants and bookkeepers. To increase functionality, there are numerous app connectors available.

Cons

Since it differs from QuickBooks Desktop and is still a work in progress, the software is not appropriate for all types of companies. To make sure it contains the features you require, you must thoroughly assess the requirements of your organisation. Internet is necessary.In essence, you are entrusting a service provider to do a crucial company function. Obviously, there are dangers involved.dependence on a service provider like that It will get harder and more expensive to handle this function yourself as time goes on.If you do not have at least a fundamental understanding of the function that is being outsourced, controlling and managing it may prove challenging.

Boram Chris
Boram Chris

Reviewed on 27/07/2018

Lesser of two evils

Pros

I am not an accounting professional but with a basic understanding of accounting principal, I have been able to use this software to organize my company for the last 10 years. I have made the switch in 2014 to the online version of it. It lets me to use the software anywhere including mobile device and I have been very happy with all the updates Intuit has been making last 3-4 years.

Cons

Everything about customer service. As a long time user, I know the infamous reputation of Intuit at every level. This is one of the SO MANY experiences I had: I had one issue that persisted since 2014. It was a simple issue, but it also caused me some great inconvenience. So I had been contacting them every now and then and the issue was not resolved until recently in 2018. It turned out to be it was as simple as clearing cache. However, every time I called, I had to explain the situation as if it's never been recorded, follow their instruction to do the troubleshooting, then they were puzzled how that happened, and then say that 'someone' will follow up. And THAT NEVER HAPPENED. I got so fed up and had to be on the phone more than 4 hours to a point that the issue was escalated to the presidents' office. I was told that there was a glitch in the system that I had to move to a new account. As they moved my data to a new account, I found out that it won't move credit card or social security info. As I was preparing for the final move, I realized that they have been charging me double. I requested to refund or extend the membership, but they did it again - made me wait for 1-2 hours, told me that I'll speak to a floor manager, then just transfer to another dpt- ALL THE TACTICS TO DISCOURAGE TO find the solution for the issue. Finally, they 'concluded' not to extend the membership with an excused made up they cannot provide in written permission. NEVER HAD SUCH BAD EXPERIENCE.

Rafael

Reviewed on 05/07/2016

A bad software package

I appreciate TradeGecko’s effort to have a competitive software package, but their offering is still far away from that. Their programming skills seem questionable since the company I work for had to hire and pay for our own programmer that would fix their problems… So we can have a reliable service

Seems that their marketing strategy is to make it very compatible (see the list of add-ons above); hence, marketableas “compatible”. I appreciate that too; however, Tradegecko seems to be implementing what they know… I question what that is, including but not limited to accounting procedures, programming, warehouse operations or work experience. These are some of the problems I have had so far because I have to use this software:

Returns can only be attached to an invoice, so if the customer does not provide the original invoice number, we can’t do anything in TradeGecko – adjust in QB and then we have to adjust the quantities in TradeGecko. NOTE that our customers are retailers so if their clients return an item they are also clueless. Still ongoing problem.

We run a sales history report to show invoices paid within a time period, the report returns invoices created on said time period that are paid. New problem, but the report used to work.

We want a sales report showing all sales reps in one report, we can only run reports showing one sales rep at a time or all sales without sales rep information. Ongoing problem.

Connectivity is very slow, we are in the U.S. running Windows 10 desktops and don’t know where their servers are. Still ongoing problem

We have to refresh the screen every time we enter information, otherwise the new data may not update on it’s own. It can take anywhere from 10-30 seconds before I stop seeing the “logging into your account hello[user]”. Still ongoing problem

Inventory turnover is very important, but they don’t offer a default report showing stock valuation per date. It’s either today’s information or we have to add a code string at the end of another report to see the value at a specific date. Ongoing problem

I'm not disputing the positive reviews, just would like to know if any of the readers have the same problems I have AND how you solved them, if ever.

Pros

Keeps track of complex items and variants
Integrates with QB
Manages a lot of useful information

Cons

Constructively, spend more time making of it a decent product, then spend the time making it more compatible

Slow system response
Lack important reports
Requires that the client hires and pays on their own pocket a programmer to solve some problems
Little consideration to real work scenarios (like merchandise returns)
Very INFLEXIBLE
They have good data, but don't know how to manage data

Response from Intuit

Hi Rafael,

Thanks for the feedback and I know some of the team are working on this with you but let me just give some more detail here,

1. Returns - we do currently only support returns against an invoice as we want to make sure we associate any movement of goods against a sales order, we're evaluating if there's another method we should support with this.

2. Sales history report - we've made some big changes and improvements to the intelligence section of TradeGecko and we're making some more improvements to give more flexibility around invoice dates / payment due dates etc.,

3. Sales rep report - yep, we don't offer a great solution for this right now, it's on the todo list.

4. Connectivity - our servers are based in the USA (hosted on AWS), so not sure about any latency or speed issues, would love to dive more into this.

5. We're currently working on inventory turnover and more general supply chain metrics and will make sure to update you asap

Thanks again and my apologies that I can't solve all of your issues, but happy to give complete transparency on progress to delivering more of the functions that you're looking to run your growing business. I know Priscilla has been in touch and do get back to her or me if there's anything I can do to help,

Best,

Cameron

CEO, TradeGecko

Replied 11/07/2016
Dane

Reviewed on 02/07/2019

Quickbooks Online is Robust Software

Overall, QBO is wonderful software for bookkeepers, accountants, and small business owners. It is arguably the most powerful and robust software on the market, and is priced fairly well. Its integrations with other pieces of software and/or websites that small business owners use is second-to-none, and I am glad Intuit continues to work on that area. I would only say that support's knowledge of their own product is incredibly limited in my experience, and they need to stick by their pricing instead of releasing a few new features every year that have marginal actual use and claiming they need to raise prices because of them.

Pros

I love QBO - their software just works! I own a bookkeeping firm and nearly all of our clients use QBO. Nearly all bookkeeping activities can be completed, including accounts payable/receivable, financial statements, journal entries, bank reconciliations, sales tax, and even payroll. I find our clients want us to use QBO and they are eager to learn it. Along those lines, it is an easy piece of software to teach someone how to use, but still packs many robust features.

Cons

Two items:

1) The Intuit QBO customer service needs work, and lots of it. I have only web-chatted with them on three occasions, and on all three occasions, I solved the problem myself before the support agent could find a solution. A company as big as Intuit should know that their support agents need to be MORE knowledgeable than the end-user. In my experience, this is rarely the case. Possibly more training is necessary?

2) Intuit keeps raising monthly subscription prices on their QBO products. In using them for just about five years now, I have gone through five price increases/changes for their QBO Essentials and QBO Plus products, and an additional two on Intuit/Quickbooks Payroll (their payroll increases actually caused me to switch to another provider). Watch your e-mail for notifications diligently.

Paula
  • Industry: Philanthropy

Reviewed on 26/06/2017

Fine except payroll and reports

I feel that the support staff have been placed in a bad position because the software is still so buggy. They should not have released payroll until it was ready and the sales team needs to better set expectations. The support staff can only do so much with buggy software. In addition, the engineering team needs to be properly staffed to resolve critical bugs in a reasonable time frame. Over 1 month is unacceptable for a severe bug that is preventing use of the payroll module for more than one customer. I was torn between giving the software 2 or 3 stars because of the pros above but I think they should understand that they can't push out poor quality, incomplete modules to try to compete in the online market and not properly set expectations. There are good alternatives at this point.

Pros

Seamless integration with other software, electronic billing and payments, banking download and matching

Cons

Payroll is a disaster and payroll reports are really bad. I noticed that most reviews on here do not mention payroll and I'm sure that's because many don't have this functionality enabled. I feel that QBO is trying to push users toward their full service payroll service by not focusing their attention on this module. It is an absolute mess. First of all, there is no integration between QBDT and QBO payroll modules. The data does not transfer from one to the other well at all. What does transfer is very incomplete or incorrect data. The manual data entry required is tedious and very bug-filled so it doesn't work correctly and requires chat or call-ins to the support line to complete. The functionality does not allow for customization of the posting of deductions and causes a lot of manual follow-up work from payroll that is completely unnecessary and which didn't exist in QBDT. In addition, they have many more bugs once in "operation" and some are severe and some are minor but annoying. The severe make it so that I have not actually been able to run payroll in QBO yet though we switched on 5/19/17. I had to run two payrolls in QBDT so far and then manually reproduce them in QBO. That is pretty severe in my opinion but still no resolution from their team. I did get them to credit me the fees for the month. Others such as the Total Pay column being nonsensical and not matching the total of the Gross Wages plus other compensation are just really annoying. The fact that you can't customize payroll reports AT ALL is maddening.

In addition to the above, there is an extremely annoying issue for nonprofits. If you select Nonprofit 501c3 as the type, you have to use "Pledges" as your terminology. You can't use "Invoices". I have worked around this by selecting Other/Not Sure as my type but it requires me to change it back whenever I set up a new employee in order to allow designating them as exempt from FUTA. So far, it seems to hold the exemption when switching it back to "Other". However, since I haven't been able to run a real payroll run yet, we will see. Many nonprofits don't utilize pledges and though you can customize the forms to read Invoice in the email, you can't change the language appearing on the Sales module and attached pdf invoices auto-name as Pledge #X when sending to customers.