BILL Spend & Expense (Formerly Divvy) Reviews

4.7

About BILL Spend & Expense (Formerly Divvy)

Divvy from BILL is a spend and expense management solution that gives small and midsize businesses the credit they need and helps them save time and money by automating expense reports, budgets, and reimbursement processing — all...

4.8

Browse BILL Spend & Expense (Formerly Divvy) Reviews

Zachary
Zachary

Reviewed on 18/12/2018

The best software our company purchased in 2018!

Overall, Divvy has enabled my company to gain WAY better insight into where dollars are going. We now know where we are over-budgeting and under-budgeting each month. Divvy makes tracking business expenses fun — I never thought I'd say that!

Pros

I first learned about Divvy via the daily business newsletter, Morning Brew. I was in disbelief that the product was totally free, so I scheduled a demo call. As it turns out, Divvy really is TOTALLY free. The app is incredibly user friendly and switching/updating budgets is surprisingly easy. But while the app interface is nice, the push notifications are wonderfully helpful, and Divvy travel has us saying bye-bye to Expedia, the REAL value our agency has found in using Divvy is the virtual card feature. As the Director of Marketing Strategy at a small Marketing Technology Agency, I manage a team of people who run a plethora of digital ads campaigns for numerous clients in any given month. Divvy's virtual card feature allows us to manage media buys on behalf of our clients without needing to open 100+ credit cards (or require the client to use their card). So, we're able to manage our clients' monthly spend and charge them a small admin fee (for putting the spend on our cards) without incurring ANY credit card fees.

Cons

Honestly, there are really only two things I dislike about Divvy:

1. That there isn't a Divvy for PERSONAL spending (I've been Googling looking for something like this for the past few weeks now...nothing seems to exist!)

2. The saving a receipt feature/adding notes feature is a little spotty at times. I find that I often need to go back into a purchase and re-upload the photo of the receipt/re-type my note. Hopefully this is a bug that gets worked out with the next app update.

Response from BILL

Hi Zachary,
Thanks for the feedback! I've sent your feedback regarding the photo receipt uploads to the director of product, and he's looking into a way to improve that process and ideally ensure that it never happens again. Just wanted to thank you personally for joining the Divvy family of happy customers, and for taking the time to leave a great review!
-Mark

Replied 19/12/2018
Kristine

Reviewed on 16/12/2022

Expense and Reimbursement Management for next to nothing

Overall, implementing Divvy has ben a huge win for my organization. It's streamlined our expense reporting process, keeps all expense records within a single system and costs us nothing. We've used other paid platforms in the past, and Divvy's solution is far superior.

Pros

We rolled out Divvy in June of 2022. Every employee has a Divvy account for reimbursements; about 20% of our employees also have corporate credit cards. This is what works:- Easy to set up custom fields to correspond to our accounting system for expense coding and tracking- Budgets set up by functional team so managers are approving their direct reports transactions- Easy to adjust teams/budgets on the fly- App always works and employees can code charges and upload receipts seconds after a charge is made- Easy to administer; add employees, cancel cards or charges, delete employees, adjust budgets, add accounts. The system is simple to navigate and intuitive.

Cons

Some drawbacks to Divvy - - No notification alerting you that a budget is getting close to its monthly spend limit- Employees need lots of education on how budgets work; they need to request funds BEFORE spending- Reimbursement tab needs to be more obvious. Managers don't check and can have employee requests languishing there for weeks- Reimbursements don't hit employee accounts for days after the funds have already been withdrawn from the company account

Erin

Reviewed on 23/02/2024

Buyer Beware!!!

So fare it has been so bad, that we are considering going back to paper reimbursement forms and paying our employees on the payables side. At least they would receive their money sooner!

Pros

I liked the idea of using the app and making expense re-imbursements easier for the employees.

Cons

Unfortunately, the execution has been a nightmare! People cannot log in, the managers cannot see the details of what the expense is for. Employees have to wait over 2 weeks to get their money. There are not enough approval levels for our company policies. And don't even get me started on the customer service! Half the time they cannot even understand English. Even if they understand what you are saying, they have no idea how to fix it!

Reasons for Switching to BILL Spend & Expense (Formerly Divvy)

We were already buying bill.com for AP. The payables side has been great. My only complaint about that is that there is no customer service number. You have to wait for them to call you back at their convenience like I have time to sit around waiting for a phone call. They usually call when I am in another meeting so it takes hours to get simple questions answered.

Response from BILL

Thank you for providing feedback, Erin. We appreciate knowing that you were wanting an app that makes re-imbursements easier for employees. We are sorry to hear about your frustrations with them not being able to login, waiting to be paid, lack of approval levels and the concerns you had with reaching customer service. You can contact us at 1(435)731-5078 between Monday-Friday 7am MST-5pm MST for assistance at any time.

Replied 27/02/2024

Top BILL Spend & Expense (Formerly Divvy) Alternatives

Caleb
  • Industry: Government Administration

Reviewed on 03/02/2021

Divvy - Always Great Service with an Excellent App

Divvy has allowed our organization to set more controls and give more responsibility to managers through use of individual budgets. Divvy also has transactions show up in the users transaction log instantaneously, making it easier for individuals to do all of their admin work right away.

Pros

My favorite feature is the ability to control credit lines for individuals at any given time. If an employee who rarely uses the corporate card suddenly has a need, we can adjust accordingly.

Cons

For the time being, Divvy doesn't integrate with our ERP, Netsuite. As such, I have to import into our ERP with CSVs which isn't ideal. Divvy is currently BETA testing an integration with Netsuite so we are patiently awaiting the full release of that.

Aaron
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Great Credit Card and Expense Tracking Software

I have loved Divvy! I highly recommend it. We are much more streamlined and misplace way few receipts.

Pros

I love that we now have credit cards instead of a bunch of debit cards. I like the app a lot. My employees and I get a notification immediately on our phone to upload receipts, categorize the expense, and write any notes. I also love that I have control over how much money each of my employees have access to. I can easily take away and add more.

Cons

I have had a few cons. 1) I am supposed to get a reminder email every Monday morning with a "to-do" list. I have gotten it about 50% of the time due to bugs in the system. The same goes for my employees. 2) I would love to not be able to approve my own transactions. 3) On the transactions page, place where you add filters seems not as well organized as I would like. I would love to be able to personally edit the order of the filters. I am constantly scrolling to the bottom.

• Industry: Religious Institutions

Reviewed on 14/11/2022

Divvy is the best expense software by far!

Overall with Divvy, we’ve been able to increase visibility in spending, empower our employees to make purchases and allow our budget managers control over what is being spent from their budget. It has been a win-win-win for us. I can’t recommend it highly enough.

Pros

I love that Divvy is not only free, but that it also allows you to manage expenses companywide we have about seven spenders in our small business and using Divvy allows us to assign budgets issue funds to particular employees and allow them to make purchases as needed. it also streamline to the bookkeeping process because all of the transactions are already categorized and require receipt upload it is absolutely fantastic.

Cons

It’s hard to think of anything I don’t like about the software because I love it so much the only negative I can think of is that setting it up to integrate well with your books can’t take a bit of time however, their team walks you through the entire process from beginning to end, which makes the process a lot easier.

Expensify and Ramp

Reasons for Choosing BILL Spend & Expense (Formerly Divvy)

We wanted to each of our employees to have their own cards and give our budget managers more visibility over what is being spent

Reasons for Switching to BILL Spend & Expense (Formerly Divvy)

Divvy was completely free and offered all the features that we needed to get started. The other alternatives either offered clunky integrations or some sort of upfront financial requirements. In order to get started. divvy was super easy to get approved and set up
Miguel
  • Industry: Environmental Services

Reviewed on 24/10/2019

EXACTLY WHAT WE NEEDED!!!

Their customer services is by far the best we have ever experienced. We use the live chat all the time and help get issues resolved right away. Also, they are constantly innovating, making processes more efficient and effective and take customer feedback seriously. Lots of the requests or comments I've had with them have turned into solutions within weeks. Everyone in our office loves Divvy and haven't had a single thing to complain about.

Pros

For years we had wanted to get corporate cards for staff but did not want to take the risk of not having credit and approval controls like we do now with Divvy.

The ease of use, simplicity, and thoughtfulness that comes with Divvy is why we love it.

Oh and it's free!

Cons

I have not had a single issue with them.

Reasons for Choosing BILL Spend & Expense (Formerly Divvy)

Credit control, manager controls, ease of use, mobile access, and cloud storage of transactions.

Reasons for Switching to BILL Spend & Expense (Formerly Divvy)

The best and easiest customer experience with the app. It's clean, innovative, has been thought out well, and super easy to use. Also, their customer service has been 100% great, and it's free.
Stephen

Reviewed on 09/06/2021

Seriously the Best App our Business Found, for Anything

Pros

If you're a small business with big monthly expenses, and petty cash headaches, Divvy is a no-brainer. Each of our field techs have a card we can control from the office, or divvy out funds as needed.

As a small family business, this cut down on half our office work (and my mother no longer goes through receipts in the office; she can just retire)

Divvy integrates with Quickbooks well, but here's the thing... we didn't even integrate it.
Its simpler for us to keep it totally independent from other accounting software, because working in Divvy's web app is a joy. The UI is simple and great.

All of our company payables and receipts management stays on Divvy, and our bank account shows one payment per week for Payables. That's it. The purchase info can't be messed up with bad OCR, because the info comes from the Bank account.

Cons

Nothing. So far it's perfect for us. We haven't been able to mess anything up yet.

Reasons for Switching to BILL Spend & Expense (Formerly Divvy)

-Instant reconciliation with purchases, and in-app labels if transaction details are incomplete. -Transparency of petty-cash funds. -Field tech credit cards with admin controls from app and web app -instant expense report creations. -No risk of Bad OCR creating repeat work (totals and info are pulled from the vender)
Jeff
  • Industry: Staffing & Recruiting
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Reviewed on 25/10/2019

It's the best because it is simple

It has been very positive. They are timely in their responses and they are flexible and open to customer ideas for improvement.

Pros

It is very easy to use and very ease to teach users how to use. It allows us to customize expense fields, budgets and reports so as an accounting team we get what we need, but it is simple enough for any user to use.

Cons

The only complaint I have at this point is that we cannot set limits for receipts. I'd like to be able to say "all transactions over $20 require a receipt," but that is not available yet.

Expensify and SAP Concur

Reasons for Choosing BILL Spend & Expense (Formerly Divvy)

Ease of use and reporting ability.

Reasons for Switching to BILL Spend & Expense (Formerly Divvy)

Ease of use and the link of a credit card program to the expense reporting platform.
Allison

Best Receipt Tracking/Company Credit Card

I have had nothing but wonderful and positive experiences with everyone at Divvy.

Pros

The app and platform are so intuitive and easy to use. I am amazed at how difficult our life was before Divvy and so grateful we made the switch.

Cons

I haven't come up with anything yet. So far everything works great.

Anna

Reviewed on 15/12/2022

Great program, simplifies expense tracking!

even though its a newer company, we love Divvy. Their customer service and support teams always do their best to make it a comfortable process for all users.

Pros

simplifies expense tracking, reimbursements, receipt collecting, approval process

Cons

its newer so working out bugs still. I don't really think this is a big con, but its what I could think of

Reasons for Choosing BILL Spend & Expense (Formerly Divvy)

at the time, expensify didn't have a corporate card. They do now, but we've learned how much easier and cleaner DIvvy is

Reasons for Switching to BILL Spend & Expense (Formerly Divvy)

simplicity. Concur was way too robust for what we needed
Ashley
  • Industry: Insurance

Reviewed on 24/02/2022

A Fantastic Expense Report Tool

Pros

I love the automation it creates for all of our expense reports. I also love the ability to make changes to spending limits, or accounts directly on the website. Any other card, we would have to get on the phone with customer service to make these changes, which was headache and a waste of time.

I love the digital cards we can create for our online payments/ transactions.

Cons

The recurring vs one-time limits were hard to get used to. This has improved over the last couple of years though.

Reasons for Switching to BILL Spend & Expense (Formerly Divvy)

The expense reporting process seemed more fluid.

Reviewed on 24/02/2022

Really friendly sales team and support tries hard as well

I like the product in theory and the team was great to work with, but the product is too complicated for its own good.

Pros

The ease of signing up and how friendly everyone is

Cons

A lot of the settings are confusing. They require you to set budgets per some 'best in class' methodology, but all we wanted to do was use a credit card. It was way too difficult.

There are also a lot of catches like rewards not being available for a year by default or foreign txn fees. Some of the role permissions are also configured oddly (likely for our book keeper -- the book keeper permission didn't give her access to all transactions, particularly reimbursements, so I had to make her an admin).

Brex and Ramp

Reasons for Choosing BILL Spend & Expense (Formerly Divvy)

Hope for reimbursements and credit cards in one that were both easy to use

Reasons for Switching to BILL Spend & Expense (Formerly Divvy)

We are a bill.com customer, and bill.com recently acquired Divvy
Lou

Reviewed on 04/10/2022

Divvy is great. I highly recommend to companies of all sizes

Pros

Divvy is a fantastic solution. We have been using it for 4 years and it not only saves our travelers and admin team time each month, but we feel it saves us from unnecessary spend each month. We are heavy users of Divvy with over 40 active users. We also manage all of our business software subscriptions via the virtual card solution that Divvy offers. This provides us greater visibility into spend and keeps it organized in one place. It also prevents fraud when using the virtual card solution. And come month end we easily integrate Divvy activity into our financial close in a matter of minutes. I highly recommend Divvy for companies of all sizes. It is truly a transformational expenses/card management solution that is light years ahead of the way it use to be done.

Cons

I've been pushing for a global solution with multi-entities so we can roll out to our UK and Canadian teams. No solution offers that at this time but hoping Divvy is the first as we would likely use it.

Peter
  • Industry: Venture Capital & Private Equity

Reviewed on 24/10/2019

Expense Management Made Easy

We've loved Divvy. It has given flexibility to those that travel while giving the flexibility to get things done without having to worry that one of the 3 corporate credit cards is floating around being used by a random employee.

Pros

Divvy has been great for our organization. We have been able to move away from reimbursements and have been able to give spending flexibility to everyone within our organization. We love being able to give every employee a card, but not having to worry that they are going to overspend. And possibly, one of my favorite features of any software ever is the ability to create virtual cards (both for subscriptions and burner cards for one time purchases). Its nice to know that I can cancel a virtual card and not have it affect other vendor payments.

Cons

There is a little bit of a lack of hierarchy available (like an administrator over certain budgets only) and a lack of flexibility with paying down our account (holds placed on account effectively freezing our cards) but other than that, it has been great!

Marc
  • Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Reviewed on 15/12/2022

Exactly what you need to manage expenses

I have been very happy with Divvy. The customer service, the simplicity of the system, the ability to budget are all been what we needed in an expense company credit card system.

Pros

It allows the creation of budgets. We can create budgets and give anyone access to a budget or not. Giving us the flexibility to give everyone a card and issuing funds on an as needed basis. Divvy also is constantly looking for ways to improve the product and make it better, for instance the dashboard of how many transactions need to be approved or completed.

Cons

It is hard to think of any, one thing I would like the ability to do would be to drag an email into the receipt box as a number of receipts are not attachments or pdfs. Watch they will upgrade the system to do this in the next release.I did think of one...card holders sometimes have been denied transactions when they have funds on their cards and or budgets. This has been very inconvenient for those traveling.

Preston

Divvy - Best There Ever Was

Pros

Divvy is an incredibly useful platform that makes managing your company spend an absolute breeze. It is so easy to use too! Everyone in our company uses Divvy, and it requires very minimal training. You have tons of capabilities as an administrator to put controls in place and to monitor all of your company's spending habits at a glance. The reporting and filter options are fantastic! Don't know where we'd be without Divvy!

Cons

There truly is not that much to dislike about Divvy; however, if I did have to say one thing, it would be that I've encountered (a handful of times) moments where the mobile app or browser app has been unresponsive or hasn't been performing as you would expect it to. Divvy is constantly working on its apps, though, so this never stays around for long.

Kelly

Reviewed on 10/12/2020

Divvy is BY FAR the best product for expenses!

Divvy is AMAZING! Their customer service team is very well trained. From implementation to my managing representative to regular customer service - Their team is top notch.

Pros

Divvy is easy to use for users and admins alike. The setup is very easy to do, and my organization was able to hit the ground running from the day we had cards in hand.

Cons

The only con is that it doesn't integrate with QuickBooks Desktop. There is a workaround that is very helpful. I am just waiting for the day when I can use it with Desktop.

Harrison
  • Industry: Building Materials

Reviewed on 15/12/2022

Great Product, Feedback does not make it to the decision makers.

super fast close process, easy for employees to use.

Pros

ease of use, ability to assign funds fast and instantly (on the road even on my app). 100% card integration

Cons

approval workflows aren't greatno ability to send push notifications for "needs approval" why on earth is that not fixed?automated push notification on phone should be every 48 - 72 hours. (concur does this).once a week emails are spotty (dont actually send) and most of my managers have no idea they have something to approve. 1st round with production implementation specialist was lazy, non-responsive, "Goal of 24 hour response time" was a pathetic goal and was more like 2-3-4 days. by that time the context of the email was misunderstood and issues had to be repeated, repeated, repeated, new customer manager seems a lot better and Salesman Michael Gleason was always great.

Emma
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Reviewed on 12/09/2023

A Game Changer for Us!

With BIll spend and expense, it makes it very easy for us to keep track of employee expenses but everything about the platform is all amazing. We have cards for everyone but also virtual card feature is great. To be able to upload the receipt from the app and to also approve/disapprove charges is great. We are truly grateful.

Pros

The thing we loved the most is how easy and amazing the platform in general is. We also absolutely love the mobile receipt feature. We hated keeping track of receipts.

Cons

Honestly, nothing at this moment. We really love the product.

Response from BILL

Thank you for your feedback Emma. We are glad that BILL Spend & Expense is easy to use and makes keeping track of receipts less stressful. Our goal with having both the physical and virtual cards is to make it more efficient when you have workers on the go, so we are happy that this works well for your team. If you have any concerns in the future please feel free to contact 1(855)229-3111.

Replied 13/09/2023
Laura

Grow with Divvy

One of the biggest things that Divvy has helped us with is bookkeeping and categorization, and as a result we have been able to stick with our outsourced accountant for 4+ years instead of hiring a new employee. As we grow to surpass 100+ employees, we look forward to continuing to grow with Divvy and seeing what value they continue to provide.

Pros

Divvy is ahead of its time as a product and company. The employees are high-quality, super helpful, and they have a fast chat response time and help solve your problems quickly. The product is constantly improving. It has helped us to manage spend from less than 10 employees to almost 100 employees.

Cons

Waiting on HRIS integration with Rippling but told this is coming soon! Can't wait!

Austin
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

Reviewed on 05/12/2022

Divvy - easy to use interface with great tools for managing company spend

Divvy has saved our team so much time in categorizing transactions and feeding into our month close process. It's been easy to use, and any complications we've run into have quickly been resolved through Divvy's great customer support team!

Pros

I love how easy it is to get employees started using their card and coding expenses. It's an intuitive interface, and saves time in training employees on how to use the platform.

Cons

Divvy has a lot of great features, but since the company is still relatively new, there are still a lot of other features that have yet to be released, but they are constantly rolling out great new features. So any deficiencies it currently has will soon be resolved.

• Industry: Food & Beverages

Crumbl & Divvy

Very positive. Incredible support, attention to our needs, and willingness to work with us to maximize value.

Pros

The software is very easy to use, quick to get up and running to facilitate spend, and has good integrations into major accounting software.

Cons

I would want to see it expand to fill more and more of the spend management niche. The great thing is that they are expanding. the Bill.com acquisition will quickly get this product positioned to handle more and more spending categories. I anticipate that soon we'll be able to manage enterprise-level budgeting and forecasting entirely out of this software.

Jon
  • Industry: E-Learning

Reviewed on 05/12/2022

Makes managing company expenses so easy!

Pros

I love Divvy it makes managing company expenses so easy. Virtual cards, tracking receipts, event/subscription budgets, etc!

Cons

I think it works great. If you do have an issue you can reach out to support and they will help you.

Stripe and QuickBooks Enterprise
Jay

Reviewed on 13/08/2020

A God-send for expense managment

I can't say enough good things about them. I've actually put a bunch of our clients onto Divvy. It's the future of expense reporting.

Pros

Virtual credit cards. You can create a subscription or a burner on the win so that software companies or trial runs of a software or service can't overcharge you. It's also convenient if one of your accounts get hacked so you'll have to change the credit card number in all of your other accounts just the one that was compromised.

Cons

The budgets at first are a little difficult to figure out how to use. There's a bit of a learning curve but the rep walks you through everything on a video call and the customer support is amazing and are always there to help