About EpicCare EMR

Epic Systems’ EpicCare is an electronic medical recording (EMR) solution for large hospitals and healthcare systems, certified for Meaningful Use Stages 1 and 2. EpicCare is developed, implemented and supported by an in-house...

Browse EpicCare EMR Reviews

Tina M. Tina M.

Reviewed on 11/11/2021

Epic

Pros

I think it is a very easy EMRT system and is always evolving

Cons

reports are hard to pull sometimes and it takes a lot of jumping through hoops to get what data we need

Wayne L. Wayne L.

Reviewed on 13/09/2018

A robust, non-intuitive system that requires a big learning curve

It would be nice if EPIC had more simplified workflows and cleaned up the appearance of the screens. It would also be nice if EPIC could allow the user to customize the screen appearanc (currently, there is a feature that allows only very limited customization of the screen layout.

Pros

Depending on the features that are activated, it can be a robust EHR system. It can handle workflows of many types, including outpatient visits, procedures, and hospital workflows.

Cons

It can be difficult to use, even with many years of experience using it. The screen is way too busy with buttons, tabs, active links and data all over the place. There are too many hidden features to remember, and the workflow is often very clunky, requiring multiple mouse clicks and jumps to multiple screens (with delays between loaded screens). The screen includes a multitude of features and buttons/tabs that I never use (are to be used by other disciplines such as discharge planners), making it seem like a one-size-fits-all screen.

Kevin N. Kevin N.

Reviewed on 12/11/2019

Excellent and Gets the Job Done

Overall Epic is great and provides a full suite of tools for a healthcare organization.

Pros

I like how Epic has a full suite of good software for healthcare organizations. I would say most Epic tools are good and are not too complicated. Billing and coding can be done easily compared to other systems. The defer feature is a great feature that is missing in other rival software. This is especially useful for a biller who needs to ask providers questions before taking action.

Cons

Some of the biggest issues I have with Epic is that the interface looks a bit dated. There is also a lot of variation between how different users interact with Epic. I often had to talk to doctors and nurses in order to help them out. Unfortunately we were never able to help each other out because Epic worked completely differently for different users.

Top EpicCare EMR Alternatives

Reviewed on 12/04/2019

Epic Review

Overall, I like Epic and think that it makes ordering and charting things easy when you make them into pre-programmed lists.

Pros

I like that you are easily able to chart on patients, you can make preset templates for charting and can preset order sets, and you are able to do everything electronically, including connecting to the PACs system and requesting documentation from other companies. You are also able to switch between inpatient and outpatient settings easily. Dragon is very compatible with this system.

Cons

I dislike that the EPIC system can vary depending on different healthcare setups, and can cost a lot. Epic can also take a while to catch on to, depending on how well you know computers. Finally, it can sometimes be hard to find different patients and patient lists on the inpatient systems if your healthcare system is large.

Reviewed on 26/08/2019

The Biggest Tool Used in Healthcare Today!

My overall experience with EPIC has been good after I learned how to use it. While it's definitely not the easiest tool in the world to use, it's without a doubt highly advanced and still great.

Pros

What I really like about EPIC is truly how popular it has become and the way it has become a standardized part of healthcare. Almost every medical facility and hospital use this for patient management and what I really like are that because it's so popular, I can learn EPIC and can expect to continue to use this regardless of which healthcare facility I work in or am I a part of.

Cons

What I dislike about EPIC is that it is definitely not simple to use and there is a lot of learning required. In fact, it is somewhat intense and even required for me to attend multiple days of training sponsored by my workplace to learn how to use this.

Sadia D. Sadia D.

Reviewed on 09/04/2021

Epic EMR

I truly enjoy working with this software. It is a really good and easy software to use it’s user-friendly and has a lot of features and customization which we use at my hospital.

Pros

I use epic to review charts and I also use it as a billing software. We are extremely pleased with how efficient this product is. I have worked with a lot of EMR softwares in the last 10 years and epic is my favorite one. It is efficient, cohesive and has great features like the warnings when something is wrong with a claim.

Cons

There’s a bit too much information when looking at billing accounts if it could be streamlined a bit better it would make things easier to review. But I believe this will be updated with the new version we are about to get.

Kyoko S. Kyoko S.

Reviewed on 20/09/2019

I am looking forward to having improved Epic version

Please see above

Pros

Its connected to the medical records/test results done in other places through care everywhere and crisp.
It's EMR-much much better and safer than hand written medical records.

Cons

It is not connected to JH ambra images and report.
Too many icons/tabs on the page, and it is difficult to navigate.
Call center messages under In-Basket messages; very difficult to see who is writing what in a chronological order. I rather would like the option deleted.
I can't review the patients' charts with Haiku.
Once "documentation" is open by mistake, I have to type in "opened by error" or something similar (which gets recorded permanently unnecessarily), otherwise, it remains under my In basket messages as incomplete chart for good.

Paul M. Paul M.

Reviewed on 25/07/2019

The best electronic medical records software available

Just an A+ overall!

Pros

I have worked with several different electronic medical record resources through my educational career, but this one champions all the rest. It has an excellent, user friendly interface. It is easy to learn and keeps track of what you do and helps you make daily work and tasks easier. It makes medical practice a joy and the charting and orders writing a breeze. It is a must have for all major medical institutes.

Cons

I honestly just don’t have any complaints with this software. It has only made my patient care better. But if there is anything I’d have to say is that it has a lot of power and it can take some time to learn how to use it to its fullest capacity.

Reviewed on 28/10/2018

Soon, it will diagnose patients for you

Epic has one of the best EMR solutions on the market. It integrates well, with various authentication systems, has superb patient portals (usually entitled "MyChart") and has a great on-site support staff at launch. For people who learned medicine the "old" way using Latin-based terms like "NPO" and "PRN" this software is fantastic as it quickly converts it into "layman" language when documenting an encounter. This makes for a compelling tool when outputting medical records for patients, and the patient summary is fantastic post-encounter. It has a few bugs, like auto-replying to messages to a care team telling the patient to refill a prescription using the app or online patient portal when the portal says "this prescription cannot be refilled," and that message is usually not delivered to the care team for review. There are several idiosyncrasies that the less-technical provider will not understand, but as a holistic EMR, Epic makes a great tool that simplifies the encounter process from intake to discharge for all levels of the care team.

Pros

Work with Latin-based terminology and quick codes or standard non-Latin wording

Cons

Very difficult to port to it from another EMR or to leave it.

James W. James W.

Reviewed on 22/08/2019

Industry Leader

I have used Epic for years and I would not prefer to use another EHR. Though there are some cumbersome elements to the software, it is by far the most powerful and robust system out there.

Pros

Epic has a plethora of reports and dashboards that are invaluable for tracking quality and key performance metrics.

Cons

For a number of functions, Epic has multiple ways for users to complete a particular task. This can be confusing from a training and operations perspective (e.g. "I was told to do it differently," "My provider prefers it a different way").

Abbey D. Abbey D.

Reviewed on 06/04/2018

EPIC in-patient and ED review

Pros

I like the ease of the flow sheets. I feel like it’s easy to review results. The MAR is very easy to read and is color coded to make it even easier to use.

Cons

I feel like it’s somewhat difficult to review orders. There is Manage Orders as well as Order History, which is sometimes difficult to see the full order and how it was entered. I would also like to see a TAR (treatment administration record). A TAR would allow better visibility for treatments such as wound care or skin care.

Stefanie A. Stefanie A.

Reviewed on 03/09/2019

Learning a New System

I don’t have much experience yet with EpicCare EMR as I am just starting to learn the software. I do find that it has similarities to software we currently use that I am familiar with and that has been a huge benefit in learning EpicCare. I think with continued work in the test or practice environments it won’t be too terribly difficult to learn.

Pros

I really like that you can pretty much build any type of report you could want or need. I also like that you can customize reports to fit exactly what you are looking for.

Cons

So far what I like least about this software is that it’s a bit cumbersome to navigate through. You do have to have a bit of software knowledge in order to navigate through it.

Joshua R. Joshua R.

Reviewed on 05/09/2019

Good, could be great.

Getting x-ray and lab reports from other facilities is extremely valuable.

Pros

Many functions, in fact, much of the capabilities go mostly unused or unknown for general users.
The "Care everywhere" feature is amazing. Instant access to outside facility notes and reports is a game changer for quality of care.

Cons

Can be somewhat frustrating when wanted features are unavailable while less useful features abound.

Jennifer G. Jennifer G.

Reviewed on 15/05/2019

Decent product

Good. The training was helpful, but the hands on use was much more beneficial. Most of the support people that came to support during go live were great.

Pros

The Care everywhere section is great. .Last phrases and ability to create ordersets and note templates are nice.

Cons

the customizable views are tricky in that you don't really know that its an option to create that customizable view because not all features are laid out. The encounters are difficult to navigate at times with many clicks of the mouse needed to open up an encounter for a patient I'm not currently working with inpatient.

Aprielle S. Aprielle S.

Reviewed on 29/10/2019

This is it for sure!

it has always been a great instrument to our facticity and medical system

Pros

the ease of entering information. I can find everything I need everyday when I am doing my job on our electronic medical records system

Cons

access to other departments has been an issue in the past but every since we went live throught out the entire hospital system, everything has been great

Danilo D. Danilo D.
  • Industry: Public Safety

Reviewed on 05/04/2019

Pros

I enjoy using this product for my nursing staff and management team. The user ability is endless and it makes charting and patient care very much easier than all and it allows us to merge records quickly as well.

Cons

The cost and the training on the soft ware is a bit out of bounda

Kirsten P. Kirsten P.
  • Industry: Performing Arts

Reviewed on 28/01/2021

As a patient, Epic is the best thing that has happened to medical care communication.

Epic/MyChart organizes my family's medical documents all in one place. its great.

Pros

I can ask questions of my doctors. I can look up my data and dates. I can review old visits. I can make appointments. I can request refills or review prescriptions. It's the medical documents I SHOULD be hanging on to, but all organized for me.

Cons

It's really well done. If pressed, I would like the ability to message doctors with whom I've not visited in over two years. Perhaps that is a limitation set up by my provider but that's annoying that I can't message a doctor from several years ago.

Alysha W. Alysha W.

Reviewed on 31/07/2019

Greatly improved our records!

Pros

The ability to customize is great. My view can be customized to use only the things I need.

Cons

There are so many things I don't use because I don't know know about them.

Jacqueline L. Jacqueline L.

Reviewed on 26/02/2018

Decent EHR, lots of features and customizations, but not very easy to learn

Generally a good piece of software but difficult to learn.

Pros

Works well and has lots of features. It has a decent design. Very comprehensive as well. Easy to personalize/customize.

Cons

Has a steep learning curve in my opinion. Sometimes performing actions can be cumbersome (lots of clicking) or trying to find something specific is not intuitive.

Brian A. Brian A.

Reviewed on 16/07/2019

Care for All

Pros

The ability to share mutual patient info

Cons

It can be difficult to find appropriate training for new staff coming into an established EPIC environment.

Nam N. Nam N.

Reviewed on 24/07/2019

Best EMR system i have used

Pros

I like how easy it was to learn and how there there are so many functions

Cons

I wish i was able to access this software on my personal computer

Reviewed on 25/07/2019

Epic system for healthcare work

There is only good thing experiences with epic because of the nature of how I use epic at work and there are coworkers who help me understand how to use it as well.

Pros

Pros are I use this on a daily at work and there were administrators on site who taught us how to use this when we were doing our on boarding.

Cons

There isn’t much as far as videos for users to watch to see and use every aspects of the epic software online. Wish there was a tutorial for it on YouTube.

Reviewed on 09/01/2019

Overwhelming EHR

Pros

I really do not enjoy this software, but if I had to find a pro, the software is all exclusive and allows for tons of information to be stored, all in it's own particular location for easy retrieving

Cons

I find this software much too overwhelming. I understand that all the requirements by insurance companies for billing are forcing for more and more info be searchable and included, but there is simply too much going on. Way too many clicks to perform single tasks. Do not like the layout, not user friendly. Worse software I have used in the field by far

• Used for 2+ years

Reviewed on 16/04/2020

Powerful but complex

I became very efficient in working with this EMR but after at least 3 months of nearly daily use.

Pros

Very powerful EMR; realistically, this is an entire suite of EMR and related products with the end documentation being produced in a clear, readable manner.

Cons

The software itself is not user-friendly. For almost any function, there are different ways to perform it, which is not necessarily a good thing.

Joseph K. Joseph K.

Reviewed on 18/11/2017

I utilize this software while working in the emergency room. It is fast and easy to use.

Pros

I like how simple it is to check on your patients, look through their charts for critical information and completing orders.

Cons

There are about five different ways to do one thing which makes teaching the software a bit difficult. One person may go about doing something a certain way that does not match another's.