About Bench

Bench is the online bookkeeping platform for small business owners. Each month, Bench automatically gathers transaction data from all connected business accounts. Then, a dedicated team of bookkeepers ensures books are tax-ready. ...

Browse Bench Reviews

Dez E.

Reviewed on 27/10/2020

Clean

Our overall experience has been that Bench is personable, intuitative, and user-friendly.

Pros

What we like most about Bench is their level of customer service. From setup to now, the team has been here with us and is extremely easy to reach out to. Beyond this, the interface is very clean, quick to load.

Cons

There are some accounts that can't be automated, but we understand this. That aside, we would like to see Bench expand and offer more all-in-one service beyond book-keeping and tax returns or make any partners more accessible (virtual CFO, CPAs would be great).

FreshBooks

Reasons for Choosing Bench

We switched away from QuickBooks mainly to give our bookkeeper an out, though we were also looking for a tool that offered easier access and further automation/connection to other tools we use in our operations.

Reasons for Switching to Bench

We considered several products, most of which I can't seem to find in the product selector on Capterra but I don't see that to be too relevant here. The point would be that we selected Bench mainly because our largest need was for a bookkeeping solution from a company with both a quality product and quality service, able to offer a demo of sorts, and flexibility. Bench.co offered us all of this.

Response from Bench Accounting

Hi Dez! Thank you so much for your kind review. We also appreciate the feedback! Wishing you all the best.

Marie M.
  • Industry: Photography

Reviewed on 23/07/2020

Bench dropped the ball & gave me a partial refund.

I tested Bench out at the end of 2019 and then hired them for my entire 2020 books. In the beginning, they were on top of things. Then, mid-summer they dropped the ball. My account got passed to another team, and they didn't even touch my books for months. It was a mess. I reached out to customer service and they did give me 2 months of a refund, because the customer service rep (who was very kind & courteous) saw what I saw. In December, I requested for my bookkeeper to fix some miscategorized transactions and later asked, "Hey were those fixed?" She said she fixed them, which was a blatant lie!

On top of all of that, it took them about TWO MONTHS to do my final end of year books that I could pass onto my CPA. I was told they were uploaded, but then they weren't there when I looked for them. I had to request, "Please upload them again." They apologized and did so right away, but by the time I saw them, thank goodness for the COVID extension, because I literally didn't have my deliverables from Bench until April 2020. My filings would have been late.

Pros

Bench is easy to use and navigate. In the beginning, they were fantastic at answering questions I had to help understand how my bookkeeping was being handled. That's about the only good thing I have to say.

Cons

I spent more time dealing with Bench all year long than when I was doing my own bookkeeping on a simple spreadsheet. I expected a learning curve in the beginning. They promised it would get easier "as we learn about your business and transactions," but I found month after month that the same transactions got flagged needing my input. Then, when I did thorough checks on my books, I found several transactions not in the right category. The other thing I didn't like was that my bank constantly needed to be reconnected. I truly felt like I spent more time handling Bench than I would've spend just doing my own bookkeeping.

QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise

Reasons for Choosing Bench

I thought having a real person handle my bookkeeping would be faster than doing it myself.

Reasons for Switching to Bench

I chose Bench, because I was hearing good things about them from Ash Ambirge of the Middle Finger Project whom I adore & trust. I liked the idea of a real person on my books, not software I had to manage.
Jonathan B.

Reviewed on 25/08/2020

Excellent Book Keeping Software For Running Your Business

Understanding the financial health of our business has been critical in making decisions both long and short term. Bench helped free up the minimal time that we as business owners have and spend more of that time focusing on our business, which has been very helpful.

Pros

It was great to see a breakdown of all three financial statements for our business, both from a macro and micro perspective. Being able to pull up accounts and see specific transactions from desktop and on the go through mobile was indispensable in running a healthy business and planning for the future. The messaging system was prompt and efficient for keeping in touch with our book keepers and account manager with any pressing questions. They were always very professional and did high quality work. Any questions or concerns with categorization and interpreting information were answered well.

Cons

I think it would be helpful to expand the software to allow for the dropping of all receipts into our account in order to have a one stop location for accessing and printing receipts for accounting and tax purposes. We were informed that only high ticket items needed receipts, and so we ended up using other third party software to track mileage and keep track of receipts.

Xero

Reasons for Choosing Bench

They were not able to provide adequate book keeping services, due to complicated books.

Reasons for Switching to Bench

Recommendations from online users, Youtubers, and a good first hand experience from the beginning while switching over to Bench.

Response from Bench Accounting

Hi, Jonathan. Thanks so much for sharing your kind review! We also appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. We have shared this to the appropriate teams.

Top Bench Alternatives

QuickBooks Online Advanced

Acumatica Cloud ERP

Infor CloudSuite Financials

Paul F.
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

Reviewed on 13/10/2020

Affordable yet Robust Bookkeeping

I have been satisfied with Bench, and it takes a lot off my mind.

Pros

The staff at Bench are responsive and helpful. The software is user-friendly. The price is less than most of its competitors.

Cons

The bank integration does not always function right with the credit union I use.

Wave Accounting and Xero

Reasons for Switching to Bench

Price and ease of use. Plus it integrates with Gusto.

Response from Bench Accounting

So glad to hear we've been able to take some stress off your plate, Paul! Thank you for being with us!

Chris B.
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Reviewed on 19/10/2020

Love Bench!

Bench is the easiest way to manage our books online. It's been a huge time and money saver over the last few years.

Pros

I've been using Bench for years now and it's so simple to see and manage my books. When something isn't categorized correctly, I add a comment and it's moved over to the right one. It's been great and easy to use.

Cons

The monthly income statements are behind often. I have to ask to get them on time. I wish it integrated with Quickbooks as my CPA can easily manipulate the data for reports.

QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise

Reasons for Choosing Bench

The accountant was slow and took forever to make small updates.

Reasons for Switching to Bench

I didn't want to do the work!

Response from Bench Accounting

Thanks, Chris! We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and feedback. We've passed your comments to your team as well! Wishing you all the best.

Nick L.
  • Industry: Design

Reviewed on 06/02/2021

Only Do What Only You Can Do

Pleasant interactions with all personnel I’ve spoken with over the phone or via email. Onboarding was easy and comprehensive. The financials dashboard -+ the app is well designed and easy to access.

Pros

Offloading expense tracking was a massive weight off of my shoulders. I now have more time to lead my small team and know that my accounting is in good hands - if there is ever a question or discrepancy they reach out immediately.

Cons

Honestly the price. I wish it were significantly cheaper. Much of the expense tracking is already done through freshbooks, other financial input apps have APIs for the Bench team to use as well - so I don’t think the limited personal interactions (which is not a detriment-the less I can talk to accountants the better) warrants the steep price tag.

FreshBooks

Reasons for Switching to Bench

Deeper analytics and reconciliation of accounts

Response from Bench Accounting

Thank you so much for sharing, Nick! We're thrilled to hear that we have been able to help take a massive weight off of your shoulders!

Replied 18/02/2021
Destiny B.
  • Industry: Wholesale

Reviewed on 11/08/2020

Ease of Use and Best Investment Ever

My overall experience is great. this is my second time using them. I had to leave the first time while switching my business format but it’s worth the investment knowing that my books are in order in I can easily track my growth and readjust expenses.

Pros

The best thing about the software is hands off. In comparison to other software you have to not only implement the software you have to hire someone to upkeep it/reconcile it every month, whereas this is all in one pricing.

Cons

The software may be a little confusing at first but with the customer service they help you navigate how to use the key features. I do wish there was a easier way to download a simple profit and loss and there are some other things that they may not be able to do that you need a CPA for but you at least have all your information in order for the CPA.

Wave Accounting and QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise

All in one pricing

Response from Bench Accounting

So glad we are able to work with you again, Destiny. Thank you for sharing your experience! All the best.

Replied 22/09/2020
Tony L.
  • Industry: Executive Office

Reviewed on 08/09/2020

Best Bookkeeper there is!

Bench always delivers above and beyond and i love their service.

Pros

Bench is an amazing product that is in the cloud. I love that i can access my books from anywhere on the go and get a snapshot of how the company is doing week to week.

Cons

There are no cons at this point. I wish they started an accounting arm that tied to bench since their product is so awesome!

Response from Bench Accounting

Hi Tony! Thanks so much for the lovely words! We have a network of CPA's that we can refer to our clients. They are trained on our platform, and work really well with our service! If you're interested, let your bookkeeping team know, and they can guide you with next steps. All the best!

Joshua G.
  • Industry: Hospitality

Reviewed on 14/03/2021

Bench is Amazing

Bench is amazing. As a small business owner I was spending too much time categorizing expenses and correctly documenting items for the P&L or balance statement. Bench offers such an amazing service and any time I had a question or issue my Bench specialist was right there. I would highly recommend Bench to anyone who needs bookkeeping services (and their tax team is amazing as well). Couple all of that with their service team's (big shout out to [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]) genuine care for you and your company and you have kind of a no brainer.

Pros

The platform is intuitive and easy to use. You speak directly with the individual managing your account, which is nice for continuity. Any discrepancies are easily adjusted or annotated. It exports to multiple file types for integration with other platforms. It links with your accounts so you don't have to manually input everything. AND THEIR TEAM ACTUALLY CARES ABOUT YOU, which is a breath of fresh air.

Cons

Sometimes there are functionality issues with linked accounts, but usually it is because of the security protocols of the bank or account.

Response from Bench Accounting

Wow! Thank you so much, Joshua. We are absolutely thrilled to hear about your experience. We're excited to keep providing the support you need so you can continue to grow your business!

Replied 18/03/2021
Jon C.
  • Industry: Restaurants

Bench Works!

Overall, I recommend bench to everyone. They do have their shortcomings, but in my experience it can be fixed by not giving so many clients to one person. My current bookkeeper is great and very prompt on delivering my books each month. I hope she sticks around. YMMV, but keep with it, bench is the best out there.

Pros

My QuickBooks was a mess. I had brought in duplicate transactions from syncing with square and I was going to need to manually adjust thousands of items. Then I found bench! The bookkeepers are relatively easy to get in touch with when you have an issue; you can book a call, chat, etc. Come tax time the year end summary they put together was amazing. It made filing taxes very easy.

Cons

The bookkeepers are spread very thin, and turnover is high. I've been with them a little over a year and I've had 3 different bookkeepers. I had to complain about one of them because he wasn't giving me a complete set of books each month. (They ended up giving a month free while they caught up my books.) It costs much much more than QuickBooks and doing it yourself, and you do have someone knowledgeable doing the work, but all than means nothing if your books are fragmented.

Sunghoon K.

convenient and accessible

With bench.co I've been able to see in real-time our financial statements without having to ruffle through paperwork or calling someone/visiting an office. I would highly recommend this service to any small business owner.

Pros

Bench.co has literally changed the way I operate my organization & school. Whereas in the past we'd have to wait, and work around local accountants who had 100's of clients in queue, Bench allows me the convenience and access to my virtual accountant 24/7 online and poignantly clear on all aspects of bookkeeping.

Cons

As with all software based services, sometimes Bench can lag in their monthly accounts at the beginning of the new year. This is a very minor inconvenience to the overall experience.

Kirk W.

Reviewed on 30/04/2019

It's like having a personal bookkeeper at a much lower cost.

We save a considerable amount of money over brick-and-mortar services and save a huge amount of time by not trying to do this ourselves with Quick Books or similar software.

Pros

Value. They provide services like a personal bookkeeping company. Very helpful and quick response.

Cons

Nothing comes to mind. We've been very happy with it.

Sonya S.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Reviewed on 01/09/2020

Has improved and simplified accounting for my business

I switched from a more traditional bookkeeping service to Bench, and couldn’t be happier. Bench is more affordable, easier to use (no more driving cross town to drop off stacks of invoices), with significantly improved reports that are clear and comprehensive. I have such a better grasp on our financials, and I love the interface. I would recommend this to anyone.

Pros

I love the ease and overall design of the software, and being able to switch between viewing the entire year, and each month. It helps me understand my financials in one glance, all in one place. It makes P&L reports infinitely more comprehensible, and they’re always completed promptly.

Cons

I have almost no complaints. My issues have been with smaller banks making it difficult to link accounts to Bench, but this is less about Bench, and more about the banks’ software.

Response from Bench Accounting

Wow! Thanks, Sonya for sharing this glowing review. We're thrilled to be working with you!

Ashley T.
  • Industry: Motion Pictures & Film

Reviewed on 18/08/2020

Bench allowed me to go back to focusing on running my business

Pros

The support team is really helpful and are quick to respond. They’ve allowed me to focus on running a business and no longer have to focus on the accounting portions of my business.

Cons

The only thing I don’t like is the bank integrations. They don’t have all the banks or even if tech companies like cash app or venmo.

Response from Bench Accounting

Thanks, Ashley for sharing!

Christopher H.

Reviewed on 29/04/2019

Great for Owner Operated Companies.

Pros

Bench is the ideal service for owners looking to shed bookkeeping responsibilities.

Cons

Link between financial accounts and software sometimes breaks.

Steve W.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages
  • Used Monthly for 1-5 months

Reviewed on 15/11/2020

Expensive for nothing so far

Everyone has been kind and responsive when we've spoken to them, but estimated completion times were way off. I'm not sure when to expect an update or accurate reports.

Pros

Ease of access to reports (when available), messaging feature

Cons

What I like least is that I paid for this service 12 weeks ago, including back dating to the beginning of the year, and I haven't received any reports that are confirmed as accurate. The Status tab points the blame on us, but we have always provided responses in a timely manner, within 24 hours.

Another potential improvement: it seems like running a 2020 report will automatically include unfinished months. Would be nice if it would automatically run the report for accurate months only.

Response from Bench Accounting

Hi Steve, Thanks for sharing and bringing this to our attention. We've requested your bookkeeping team to reach out to you, and discuss this further. Keep an eye out for their message shortly! Wishing you all the best!

Replied 24/11/2020
Tia R.
  • Industry: Writing & Editing
  • Used Monthly for 6-12 months

Reviewed on 30/01/2021

It's the ease, expertise, efficiency, and accuracy for me

Pros

I run multiple companies. I have multiple checking and business card card accounts. I needed a reasonably priced resource to track all of that for me and put it in a format I could easily see each month, quarter, and year. Bench does it all and with maximum responsiveness, professionalism, and consistency that makes me feel confident they have it together. Exceptional customer service and the software is easy to use, access, and does everything I need it to do.

Cons

American Express integration doesn't work, but I blame that on AE. I have to download those statements every month and upload to Bench. My simple solution though was to stop using AE and use my other business cards instead. Solved that. :)

Response from Bench Accounting

Hi Tia, we're thrilled to hear you can rely on your Bench team to handle various accounts and know that you can trust the team to get you what you need. We love working with you and are excited to see what's next for your business!

Replied 16/02/2021
Tony L.

Love Bench!!

Love bench and my bookkeeper! No complaints just happy to have them!

Pros

Bench makes communicating so easy with your personal bookkeeper. There system/software makes doing everything a breeze. And the cost no accountant can touch!

Cons

I have no cons about the software or the support!

James L.

Reviewed on 24/02/2021

Shockingly Incompetent

I had Bench do a full year of bookkeeping for my company and consulted them on aspects of the PPP loan program.

I found them shockingly incompetent. Many mistakes. Much flat-out wrong technical information about the PPP program. It was the most recent encounter with them over the PPP program that motivates me to write this review, to warn the public.

They should not represent themselves as PPP experts.

Pros

The pros are beside the point because the cons are so overwhelming.

Cons

They should not represent themselves as PPP experts.

Response from Bench Accounting

Hi James, thanks for taking a moment to share your feedback. We always want to make sure we're continuously addressing client questions and their experience. We had passed your concerns to our Client Success Team and understand a senior leader has been in touch with you to discuss this further. We really appreciate your transparency as we work through this with you.

Replied 11/03/2021
Jen R.
  • Industry: Sporting Goods
  • Used Monthly for 2+ years

Bookkeeping made easy

When there was an issue with my books, i was able to get a supervisor to help iron out all the kinks (the issue was with my payroll system and tax liabilities, not bench) i was happy to have that service available

Pros

I like the reports i can generate on my phone. It’s so nice that this is in app form.

Cons

Not so much the software but i don’t like that i have had six different bookkeepers since signing up two years ago. While they do have a team that works together overall, it’s been a little daunting having a new bookkeeper every few months. This was more an issue when i first signed up, I’ve had my bookkeeper now for a time least six months.

Elijah J.
  • Industry: Consumer Services
  • Used for Free Trial

Reviewed on 01/10/2020

excellent

Pros

Easy to understand and good layout. My assigned account easy to communicate with.

Cons

Expense but the final product is very easy understand.

Response from Bench Accounting

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, Elijah! We really appreciate it.

Victoria E.
  • Industry: Law Practice
  • Used for 6-12 months

Reviewed on 09/06/2017

great service for the price

Great simple accounting service for the price.

Pros

I really liked the responsiveness of my team, and the ease of reviewing my account each month. during our monthly call, which is included with the monthly service fee.

Cons

The only con is that you have to pay more, the more accounts you add, which was not a problem for me initially, but would have been if I added another account in the future.

Response from Bench

Hi Victoria - Thank you for the review! We're so glad to hear we've been able to help make bookkeeping easy for you. I'll be sure to pass this along to Tammy and the rest of your team.

- SP

Replied 03/10/2017
Sundeep M.

Reviewed on 18/03/2018

Strong quality but overpriced

Generates reports required to prepare financial statements for clients.

Pros

Generates timely, accurate, and user friendly reports to meet business needs for financial reporting.

Cons

Customer service can take days to respond for queries. This software is also on the high end of what small businesses may be willing to pay.

Teauna P.
  • Industry: E-Learning

Bench Saves Me Time

Bench has been a great move overall for us.

Pros

Bench was a great solution for me, I dreaded bookkeeping with QuickBooks and it never functioned properly using PayPal and such. Bench has helped smooth this process and freed my time to grow my company.

Cons

I don't see many cons. There was some growing pains when Bench staff learned our companies business and our accounts.

Kyle P.
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Reviewed on 07/06/2019

Bench Accounting

Bench employee's are great to work with, However software needs a lot of work.

Pros

Web based. Sync up with your bank and easy communication with bench.

Cons

You basically have to do a lot of data entry which is counter to why you would use a cloud based accounting software. Not as functional as other programs.