Visio Reviews

About Visio

Visio, a Microsoft 365 solution, is a diagramming tool that can be used by businesses of all sizes to create visual charts for team collaboration. With Visio, teams can connect diagrams and charts to real-time data and automate...

Browse Visio Reviews

3,138 of 3,138 reviews
  • Industry: Tobacco

Reviewed on 13/06/2020

The tool for visual mathematicians

I love it for the purpose it was intended for. I don't think I could find anything better. Most of the time I have nothing but good things to say about this product. Just don't let yourself get in a spot where you need to write your own code to generate your charts automatically because the API and help for it would require another degree just for this product.

Pros

It can connect to a wide range of data sources to present data in your charts. It has a wide range of abilities through the various add-ons and tools. The range of standard drawing objects is huge and you can create your own if you know what you are doing.

Cons

It sucks for trying to program against it. Every drawing object has its own properties, methods and behaviors. It is a real nightmare if you need to integrate it into an automation system. The only one I have found that might be worse is Outlook and that would depend on what you were doing.

AutoCAD

Reasons for Choosing Visio

These versions had a lot of functionality but since our company bought the MS suite and Visio came as part of the package it just made sense to use what we had versus buying something else.

Reasons for Switching to Visio

We didn't. Our company purchased both and use them both for different types of needs.
Mustafa

Reviewed on 22/04/2024

Upgrade your network diagram

Look no other if you are planning to start creating a network diagram. A great software for Network engineers and designers.

Pros

Creating a diagram for network high-level and low-level design is easy thanks to the features of importing ready-to-use icons. There are many options to use various network appliance icons from security to end-user icons.

Cons

It's not included in the Microsoft Office professional package.

Isaiah

Reviewed on 03/09/2019

Terrible products and customer service

Do NOT buy Visio products! If you thinking of buying a tv/sound bar or other electronic, I advise you to steer clear from Visio!!! We purchased a TV back in April, we moved into the tiny house about three weeks ago. We set up the original TV, it worked for 2-3 days, when we tried to set up the WI-FI it said it needed to restart after we typed all the information into the TV. When the TV came back on it was just a black screen. We contacted the company and they said they would send us a replacement because there was no technician in our area. We were charged for another TV in the meantime of them sending us out the replacement which is understandable. We received the replacement tv in the mail the other day. We spend over an hour attaching it to the wall and everything. We packaged up the original tv and had everything ready to be sent back out to them and get the deposit back from the replacement. We installed the replacement tv and again tried to connect it to the WiFi and we are having the same issue as the original TV. We spent over an hour fighting with Visio directly this morning (on our Anniversary- yes) they proceeded to tell us that the only option was to send out a technician and see what they said. When we told them that we were told there was no technician in our area they placed us on countless holds of (3-4 minutes) they said they “created a ticket” for someone to come out and take a look, they would contact us within 3-4 business days and we can arrange a time t

Pros

None See full review in the overall experience

Cons

See full review in the overall experience

Top Visio Alternatives

Ahmed

Reviewed on 16/02/2024

Excellent Tool for Working on Flowcharts and Diagrams

MS Visio's powerful diagramming features, which enable users to produce expert and thorough visual representations of processes, systems, and workflows, are among its most notable features. Quick diagram creation is made simple by the large selection of pre-built templates and shapes, and customization options allow for fine-tuning to meet specific requirements. The ability to share and collaborate on diagrams, together with its seamless interaction with other Microsoft applications, improves team productivity and cooperation.

Pros

Visio is an excellent program for creating technical drawings, architecture diagrams, intricate flowcharts, and more. It makes it simple to collaborate with coworkers to work simultaneously and integrates with Office 365. Professionals in a variety of industries, such as business, engineering, and information technology, may find it to be an excellent and adaptable tool. But, much as with any other Microsoft Office application, there are occasionally delays in updates while working with colleagues. With the many customization options offered by Visio, users may produce extremely intricate and well-designed diagrams. Excellent tool for data connection, allowing users to integrate other data sources, like Excel, to dynamic visualizations. Simple to use for drawing intricate diagrams.

Cons

Diagrams are frequently reworked as a result of the unreliability of online sharing and updating. It can be difficult to follow version control instructions from peers.

Robert

Reviewed on 10/05/2024

Vizio is great but can have issues with other Microsoft Products

Vizio does what we need it to do in creating diagrams, but the restrictions on workstation installations can be a nightmare. As a standalone product it is great.

Pros

Vizio is great for creating data flow diagrams that illustrate the flow of data from one device to another

Cons

Vizio does not play well with other Microsoft applications. If a user already has a Microsoft Office product installed, it is very difficult to install Vizio as well.

Ram
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Reviewed on 04/05/2024

Visio has what I need

It was productive using this tool and improves my efficiency at work.

Pros

Visio gives me options and features to bring y imagination to life. It has plugins to import any artwork or icons. It makes drawing easy and efficient. I use it for all my diagrams, presentations an organization needs.

Cons

VIsio does not have as strong a community or network as some other authoring software which may make it more difficult to find help from resources when working with the program.

nitheen

Reviewed on 31/05/2024

Great for designing the architecture and network diagrams

Pros

Visio is very good for designing the workflow and very useful to draw network diagrams and these can be used to explain the connectivity with upstream and downstream applications.

Cons

It would be great if user interface can be made better

diego

Reviewed on 30/04/2024

very usefull tool for mapping my data center

Pros

easy to use tool for mapping my data center, lot of brand available, very clean results

Cons

i use it just for mapping my data center, and it's too much expensive for this single purpose

Henry
  • Industry: Civil Engineering

Reviewed on 01/05/2024

Brilliant Software

My overall experience with visio is great, this software is extremely helpful.

Pros

In work I use visio to produce flowcharts for the work we are conducting and the waste management process, it is a brilliant, easy to use software which helps produce a fantastic flowchart/visual representation for a somewhat complex process.

Cons

At first this software is tricky to use, having to learn all of the new process. However, once the initial complications are resolved it is extremely easy to use.

Devesh
Devesh

Reviewed on 16/05/2024

Flowchart

Pros

Making flowcharts, mind mapping, Organization flow, product flow, and many more.

Cons

There are limits in few tools like flowchart.

• Industry: Logistics & Supply Chain

Reviewed on 19/11/2019

Great tool to draw Flowcharts , Process flows and Network drawings!!

I'm using Visio for my daily work when I need to draw flowcharts, business process and more importantly for network drawings and rack drawings. Early I was using Ms word and powerpoint for these but both of them were unable to deliver what I want so I switch to Ms Visio. Visio is a great tool to get a professional quality output without much effort. GUI is very easy to use and templates cover most of the daily business requirements and even easy to find many templates online and use it. I'm using original stencils for all my drawings ( Network and Rack diagrams )which gives me perfect output. So overall I really recommend MS Visio...

Pros

Easier to learn and use it even for a beginner who never used Visio or any proper software.
The richness of the templates in the library and even the possibility to download additional templates as per your requirement.
Available many stencils with most of the brands (HP, Cisco, Dell, etc.) when using to draw network diagrams.

Cons

You need to pay separately for license costs even you have Office Professional or Office 365.
Need to convert to PDF or another version to view it , if you don't have Visio to see it.

Lucidchart

Reasons for Choosing Visio

Early I was using Ms word and powerpoint for these but both of them were unable to deliver what I want so I switch to Ms Visio. ( Mainly professional look output and easiness to use) Visio is a great tool to get a professional quality output without much effort.

Reasons for Switching to Visio

Trust over Microsoft products. An existing good relationship with Microsoft. Easiness of use and to learn. Better features and functionality.
Mohammad

Reviewed on 22/02/2023

Visio is the best visual software in the market.

I loved it. It helped my work daily in presenting what I have in mind to my managers. It is a great partner when it comes to completing tasks.

Pros

Templates are there to helps us complete projects fast and save time. Customer support is very good. Price is acceptable as well.

Cons

The drag and drop option is sometimes not doing a great job but this is something that might relate to the installation itself.

ARIS

Reasons for Choosing Visio

The support for Visio is better. Most of the staff required that we bring Visio to the office as they have a good previous experience working on it as it is very user-friendly.

Mavim

Reasons for Switching to Visio

ARIS were not that good in responding to our requirements. We though staff will love the controls on the interface but they found it none user-friendly.
Bradley

Reviewed on 05/04/2022

Visio - Your Business Process Flow Simplified

As I have become accustomed to using this application and learned the great benefits from using it, I would happily recommend this product to people who are able to invest time in learning how to use this app.
Just be prepared for the software licensing if purchasing separately.

Pros

Visio is not difficult to administer and utilizes at all. It supports a wide range of graphs as well as graphics. It is well coordinated with other Microsoft items, to be specific office suite.

We generally use it for making flow process diagrams that could be linked to our daily operations and core business functions.
Free to trial for 30 days as well.

Cons

Unfortunately, every drawing object has its own individual properties and behaviors.
It takes a bit of time getting to learn how to use the software effectively at first.
The licensing costs are not up to standard as it is separate from the office suite which is purchased.

Adobe Photoshop and Lucidchart

Reasons for Switching to Visio

As Visio had to stand out images and add-on packs, it just made sense to get this product instead.
Jess
  • Industry: Oil & Energy

Reviewed on 29/08/2019

Scientist Viewpoint

Overall, I like this platform as sketch pad (my hand drawings are terrible and hard to read). It has made my cross-functional collaborations much easier since I have a good method transfer ideas that other engineering disciplines can also work in before migrating to high level systems (CREO, Mentor, etc).

Pros

As someone who works in multi-functional engineering teams I find this to be a great collaboration platform. I can take my sensor idea and do some basic "hand" sketch type drawings to really highlight my thoughts and needs to my mechanical engineering colleagues. On the electrical engineering side I can create functional block diagrams describing my needs for the signal pathways and data analysis workflows. I also use this for test apparatus diagrams and mock ups for software user interfaces.

Cons

If you have no drafting/drawing experience this program can take awhile to get truly comfortable with. I don't find all the menus to be as intuitive as I would like. However, I only notice this if I am away from the software for an extended time period.

Reviewed on 02/03/2021

The best flowcharting and diagram package out there

I design software interfaces and algorithms within the application and find it so easy to get my ideas down diagrammatically in order to turn them into real applications

Pros

Flexibility - easy to use for a multitude of tasks, from flowcharting to network design, swim lanes to manage teams, and so easy to view on mobile devices too with a plugin to view on the web, and an app to download both on Android and iOS!

Cons

Well, I would love Visio to be added to the Microsoft 365 system and be available as a editable app on iOS and Android, not just a read only application. For a new user it can be quite tricky to get started, but it is very simple to pick up

Evelyn
Evelyn

Reviewed on 27/05/2022

Great tool but somehow outdated.

Visio use to be our main software to plan any project and describe work loads, processes, etc. Nowadays, there are several other platforms with full online capabilities and better team collaboration tools.

Yes, most of those other alternatives are not that good as Visio to create flow charts or any other diagram, but they are more than acceptable for several business lines.

Pros

Thea diagram creation tool is best in class.
Full compatibility with Microsoft Office Suite formats.

Cons

There is not fully free & functional online app for third party participants to join eventually into a brainstorming process or any other board of work.

Whimsical, Trello, Microsoft Project and Asana

Reasons for Switching to Visio

Nowadays, we use Whimsical over Visio for most of our tasks, since Whimsical does allow us to have a better team work. I do still recommend Microsoft Visio for creating precise diagrams over any other alternative, but it is not that useful for Marketing environments, it is for Engineer ones though.
Muhammad

Reviewed on 07/09/2022

Must Tool to Develop Comprehensive Flowchart

To prepare a practical, flexible, easy to make, easy to understand flowchart or organizational chart the ultimate choice, in most of cases, will be Microsoft Visio, an innovative way to visualize a business process.
Visio enables to learn about organizational setup, flow of documentation, and procedures alongwith cause and effect diagrams, the more important is that the diagram is self explanatory for presentation purpose.

Pros

Being member of rich and widely used family of Microsoft applications, it is effectively configured and integrated with excel, word, powerpoint, teams, sharepoint, onedrive, etc.
Microsoft Visio enables users to generate a basic to complex diagram or hierarchal modeling. Visio has all necessary features that are required for graphical presentation of a flowchart or organization chart. Apart from built-in features, there are many templates that can be easily modified according to your requirements.

Cons

Visio is not easy for new user particularly using at mobile, if a new user has to provide links by using arrow keys then he/ she will experience it as a tricky task, it not intuitive as well.
Visio does not generate link leading recipient of the link to view diagram at any browser. Visio does not allow arrangement of diagram elements automatically, cropping of image is not allowed, usually arrows do not connect properly. To group or ungroup is not easy task, sometimes auto arrange feature returns errors.

Adolfo
  • Industry: Graphic Design

Reviewed on 15/11/2022

Perfect program for meetings and idea sharing

This stage has truly helped my work and career in advancing novel thoughts and imagining them to get clear insights concerning what's to come plans.

Pros

Microsoft Visio is a superb stage through which one can introduce their thoughts outwardly as a stream outline or any customizable chart. Microsoft Visio accompanies extraordinary pre-assembled layouts which I can use to flawlessly construct charts and flowcharts. We have been involving this stage in our school because of various factors. As of late, we utilized it to make an imagined floor plan for our new grounds. We additionally Microsoft Visio for training purposes. We use it during the classes to clear up information perception and orders for understudies in an understandable manner. Visio is additionally utilized in our school to make feasible plans in an arranged way. Microsoft Visio accompanies a ton of components making it the most customizable chart manufacturer.

Cons

The expense of this instrument can be a bit pricey, compared with its rivals and there are many web applications accessible that accomplish a similar work liberated from cost. Microsoft Visio ought to publicize a portion of its remarkable elements. 2) Instructional exercises and preparation ought to be given to the novices to cause them to understand the maximum capacity of this stage else almost certainly, the client will not hold it for a significant stretch of time because of the significant expense. 3) The powerlessness of utilizing this stage on working frameworks other than Windows has led to a few issues as I need to get my PC to work with graphs.

Sreekumar
  • Industry: Information Services

Reviewed on 17/07/2018

Awesome professional diagrams and flow charts

Pros

As a Business Analyst cum Product Manager in Software Engineering, tremendous amount of documentation including business process diagrams, and flowcharts were part of my role in my previous product organization. Before learning Visio, I have tried many free apps, and capabilities with in word and struggled a lot.

While we make enterprise solutions by offering customization in our product suite, it is quite normal to study and analysis complex business processes of every new customer. To make a case - the process to be automated, solution, estimation, and design, diagrams and flowcharts were inevitable. Making diagrams eat a lot of time before Visio. Visio helped us to streamline this particular activity. It is pretty simple to copy an old diagram, make a few modifications and use it in another document. Another advantage in using vision is scope for modifications and less time to edit the diagrams.

The beauty of Visio is stencils and drag and drop feature to build diagrams. Also it is awesome to have an excellent repository of shapes.

Couple of times, I have used the organization chart feature. The import feature is very much helpful when we have a comprehensive reporting hierarchy.

Live data overlay which enables us to visualize live data in the context of a org structure, a business process, or a manufacturing process flow to get the big picture in one glance.

Once you master Visio, it is less likely that you switch to any other tool for diagrams and process flows.

Provision to collaborate on diagrams simultaneously is a big relief when many users work on a diagram

Cons

It is a fantastic tool and no doubt on its capabilities. However pricing is heavy and the solution is subscribing to online version.
If the shapes show some meaning or suggest the purpose, Visio can be a bit more intuitive.

Zubairu
  • Industry: Business Supplies & Equipment

Reviewed on 23/02/2023

My Visio Honest Reviews

Pros

These are what I mostly like about Visio: 1. Versatile: Visio allows you to create a wide range of diagrams and charts, including flowcharts, organization charts, network diagrams, process diagrams, and more.User-friendly: Visio has a simple and intuitive interface, making it easy to create and edit diagrams even for those who are not familiar with the software.2. Customizable: Visio provides a range of templates and shapes that can be customized to meet your specific needs. You can also create your own shapes and templates to save time in future projects.3. Integration: Visio can integrate with other Microsoft Office tools, such as Excel and PowerPoint, making it easier to import data and graphics into your diagrams.4. Collaboration: Visio allows for real-time collaboration, so you can work with others on the same diagram at the same time, which can be particularly useful for teams working remotely.

Cons

These are limitations of the software:Cost: Visio is a paid software, and the cost can be a barrier for smaller businesses or individuals.Limited platform support: Visio is only available for Windows operating systems, so Mac and Linux users may need to find alternative software or use a virtual machine to run Visio.Learning curve: While Visio is user-friendly, there is still a learning curve for those who are not familiar with the software. It can take some time to understand all the features and tools available.File compatibility: Visio files may not be compatible with other software or platforms, which can be a problem if you need to share your diagrams with others who do not have Visio.Limited online features: Visio does not have a robust online collaboration or sharing features, which can be a disadvantage if you need to work with others in different locations.

Marat

Reviewed on 10/10/2021

Visio review

I started using Visio before Microsoft purchased it so I have quite big experience with this great application. I'm still using it a lot to visualize text information into graphics almost every day.

Pros

In my opinion the Visio is the industry standard and definitely the best tool to build different kinds of drawings (graphs, diagrams, charts, etc). It has many built-in shapes and templates (stencils), lots of options to connect to wide range of data sources. The Visio diagrams are easy to understand for both technical and non-technical audiences.

Cons

Microsoft Visio is not part of Microsoft Office Suite anymore (it must be purchased separately). The Visio license is quite expensive. Microsoft Visio is not available for Apple Mac and Linux platforms. Web (online) version of Visio would be great alternative to standalone application (since it must be cheaper).

Lucidchart

Reasons for Switching to Visio

Visio is more flexible and easy to use.
Mandeep
Mandeep

Reviewed on 10/11/2018

Microsoft Visio is the best software for your diagram design and documentation of organization...

I have been using this software as a part of my daily job requirements and I can say this is the best software one can get to work on various types of diagrams to suit to your business and organizational requirements.

Pros

Microsoft Visio is the best software for serving the purpose of diagrams designs. It's capabilities to provide the best diagram templates for data flow diagrams, floor plans, building plans are among the best features.
I have been using this software for preparing DFD's and flowcharts as part of my regular job requirements and I can say this is best software for such accomplishments since it offer varities of templates that I can just pick and go for doing my job with ease.
According to me what makes this software stand out is its ability to pick the data from the MS Excess and MS Access which makes it best piece of software for working on diagram requirements in an organization.

Cons

Though it is very easy to use for those who have a little bit of experience using the Visio, however if you are starting with the software the you may find it little bit difficult to understand and get going so I would recommend anyone who is planning to use the software to spend some time with the software and get used to it and then you will find it easier and very useful and effective to accomplish your requirements.

Reviewed on 14/06/2022

Visio is a very good Microsoft add-on tool and I love it.

Visio is wonderful to use as I do a lot of process mapping and identifying process ways and flowcharts. Visio is a perfect tool to use this with and while not everyone can find a use case for it, I am very happy with it. Visio is a great tool that any analyst can use when making an org chart or process map/workflow.

Pros

Visio is a very good visual tool if you need process mapping and a flowchart. Visio can help customize and visualize a change or swim lanes if you need help illustrating on who and what is involved in a process. I also really like all the help and how-to guides there are available when using Visio. Almost all Microsoft products have this and Visio is no exception. Visio is also easy to integrate into a PC or Mac. Visio isn't part of the standard office suite Microsoft has but it's easy to get setup and up and running.

Cons

Visio is expensive. You cannot just request this if you are needing approval, there is likely a business case you will need since this can be up to a $300 add-on per person and costs can add up quickly. Microsoft's support isn't the greatest with Visio either as any problems will require you to uninstall and then re-install the software which is time consuming and frustrating when you have to do it.

Earl

Reviewed on 15/11/2023

Unlocking the Power of Visio: Exploring Features and Enhancing Workflows

My overall experience with Visio is like taking a journey through a visual wonderland. It's a tool that transforms the mundane into the extraordinary, whether I'm mapping out ideas, visualizing data, or streamlining workflows. The learning curve is a minor speed bump on the road to productivity paradise. It's like having a creative assistant that speaks the language of visuals fluently.

Pros

I'm a big fan of Visio's versatility. Whether it's turning complex data into compelling visuals, choreographing workflows, or creating mind maps that spark creativity, Visio is like a Swiss Army knife for productivity. The visual element adds a layer of clarity and creativity to tasks that might otherwise be a bit dull. It's like turning work into a visual masterpiece!

Cons

Sometimes, the learning curve with Visio can be a bit steep for newcomers. It's like trying to solve a puzzle without the picture on the box. But once you get the hang of it, the possibilities are endless. The initial struggle is a small price to pay for the versatility it offers.

Turan
  • Industry: Automotive

Reviewed on 20/02/2023

You can make sense of all data with MS Visio

Even though I didn't take any training, the first use was as easy as using any other MS product. You can provide fast adaptation. It has a practical and easy interface. You have helpful tools to create all the features that the user will need, as well as more. As an administrator, managing and setting up the whole process, including trial versions, turns into a simple organizational process. With just a few mouse clicks, everything is ready.

Pros

Have simple or complex data? Or there is information in parts of dozens of wholes. Can't the information you have make this data meaningful to you? In that case you should try MS Visio. Because the starting point of the program is to make a space with a lot of complex information more meaningful. Ready-made templates and diagrams provide an excellent experience when combined with MS experience. Of course, while doing these, you can access other product groups in MS and experience the ease and comfort of the MS user interface.

Cons

MS Visio acts as a whole as software. Therefore, you will not have any problems in use. Only the licensing costs are very significant. If you don't choose the right type of licensing, you may lose its benefits.