OpenGov Permitting & Licensing Reviews

3.9

3.9

About OpenGov Permitting & Licensing

OpenGov Permitting & Licensing is the most flexible and delightful permitting and licensing solution for government. Our software modernizes community development permits, business licenses, and other complex approval processes...

3.7
3.6
3.8
3.7

Browse OpenGov Permitting & Licensing Reviews

Marlene

Reviewed on 18/12/2019

Viewpoint Cloud

Viewpoint makes the overall permitting experience very easy. Of course there are a few older contractors that aren't comfortable on computers yet but overall everyone is happy. It also makes it easy for solar companies to pull their permits when they're out of state, they don't have to set a date to have someone drive down to pull it, they can do it right from their office.

Pros

I like the usability of the program. I like how fast and easy looking up permits is when title searchers and realtors come in to see permits and showing them how to use the website from their offices, and they like that they have access to it 24/7 as well. I like the capability of scanning in documents making my job filing much easier reducing the amount of paper we keep in the office.

Cons

The only gripe I have is locations for condos, apartments, or co-ops are hard for residents and contractors to find. Usually requires them calling to find out what address to use to get through the application. Also, the inability to delete a unit # once created I wish there was an option to be able to do that, in case its a duplicate.

• Industry: Utilities

Good Service

In its current state, I enjoy it and find it easy to use. It is a far better system then the paper records the municipality used to use.

Pros

This software was a little rough in the beginning, but after some updates as well as other users getting used to it in the municipality that I work in, it's become pretty reliable. I like the ease that users have to upload documents and my ability to view and download them. I also especially like the ability to make comments internally.

Cons

I have not found an easy way to check permits that I have already completed. I see what looks like that option in my profile, however nothing loads when I click on completed. I also get spammed with "documents have been uploaded" to my email when they are uploaded on permits. This is not always important for me to know, and I do not see any settings that I can filter what kind of emails I receive from viewpointcloud.

Brad

Needs work

The system is skipping the Fire Department on permits and the Demo permits are being approved by Engineering Department and not forwarded to Building official. Last I knew the code drop down box did not have option for 2019 new codes.
It is difficult to process the CO's in Viewpoint it is a lot easier in Opal.

Pros

I can access the program from my I pad remotely.

Cons

Customer support is a big problem - there is no contact person for municipalities and it is a lot worse for customers filing permits who are having difficulty and have nobody at viewpoint to get assistance from.
Contact information needs to be posted at the top of page when logged on to system.

Please call [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] he has tried to file permit since yesterday afternoon.

Top OpenGov Permitting & Licensing Alternatives

Susan

Reviewed on 23/12/2021

Parking permitting

Helpful with less traffic of people with the pandemic. It is more useful when documents are inaccurate
you just send message and request information. This is also helpful when it is a renewal period, making the influx easier to handle.

Pros

integration very helpful during the covid period. Without the in person transaction the process through Opengov is so much more manageable.

Cons

I wish fixes with problems happened much quicker. It does seem to take a lot of time to resolve a problem.

Ben

Reviewed on 30/12/2021

Monroe County Project Manager

The overall experience has been great. Files are organized, easy to find and everything is paperless. Inspections are much easier and faster since the software is portable and permits can be issued on site.

Pros

Every individual project is in one file. Easy to use and find files as needed.

Cons

Upload voicemails to the system. This would be very helpful with Code Enforcement and Court.

Tamie

Reviewed on 23/12/2019

It's OK

disappointing overall!! I personally was not here when this software was first installed. I had to figure it own on my own. We tried to get View Point to come here to help us with showing us all the features...(which I'm sure I do not know about or haven't figured out or had the time)....but of course that comes with a high price tag !!! The town was not willing to pay such a high price for them to come here for a couple hours from Boston, which is only 50 miles away to really see what the software has to offer!! And I don't have time to read pages and pages of "help/support"

Pros

Being able to look up permits at your fingertips.
We are not live to the point of customers using it and we just use it for Inspectional Permits

Cons

Reports.... not easy to figure out and use. Lots of long processing time....issues getting bumped out while working on a permit. Small annoying issues of such as addresses not recognized when they clearly are there and exist. sometimes I just deal with the annoying issues and don't bother with support, because, mostly it's not worth it!

• Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Viewpoint works well

Viewpoint is used city wide and has made our permitting process for city wide permitting and tracking so much easier. End of year tallies are a breeze.

Pros

This product has made our permitting process easier.

Cons

A lot of our contractors and customers don't like using viewpoint but if they want a permit they get used to it.

Reviewed on 19/12/2019

The funcitionallity of this software

Pros

Very comprehensive, includes lots of information

Cons

Ever time there is an upgrade or even a change in the look, there seems to be a lack of testing before the release. The glitches seem to take days or even weeks to repair. Which is frustrating.

Jeffrey

Permitting

Increased public use.

Pros

User friendly on the public side. Ability to customize the platform.

Cons

Reporting. Can't produce the forms we need, requiring us to still use paper forms.

Reviewed on 19/12/2019

One change would be helpful

Pros

The ability to see what the others in my office are working on, and for keeping a permanent record of correspondence on a job.

Cons

On the contractor's side, they can only put one email address on a job. It would be nice the design professional, the contractor, and the owner all could receive emails on status changes, comments, and inspections.

Reviewed on 24/12/2019

Could be better

I work for Richmond as well and approve all permits

Pros

For all easy permits like re-roof hot water heater replacement and so on, all that need little to no review

Cons

So many things that could make this system so much better and easier I would love to sit down and go over ideas but after many years since this system was just being proposed I have tried to make contact with viewpoint to no avail
Seems like no one wants to improve the site

Dorinda
  • Used for 6-12 months

Reviewed on 03/01/2020

ViewPoint struggles to suceed due to the company itself

ViewPoint Cloud has streamlined the permitting process and helped us get to a near paperless process. This has been accomplished with a lot of work on our side and little to no support from ViewPoint. ViewPoint chronically overpromises and underdelivers.
The ViewPoint Cloud product is o.k. and has great potential. The company has a lot to be desired. ViewPoint has recently been purchased, we have hopes that they can turn the management of the product around.

Pros

Once it is set up and works, it works well.

Cons

The company support is not there and it is difficult it get an accurate answer out of the company. They constantly promised that the "product could do that" or "ViewPoint would set that up for us", but after we committed to it we found that we did not get what was promised. Luckily we have most of the promises in writing, but that only helps so much if a product does not have that capability.
The company will also do very little to set the system up for you. You must do nearly all the set-up and configuration yourself. Be ready to commit significant time to this to make it successful.

Reviewed on 21/12/2019

Great idea but...

Pros

The amount of information available is fantastic

Cons

Freezes a lot. Logs out randomly. Recognizes my password half the time. Its almost a guarantee that if I’m doing enforcement and I need to verify a permit for an address it will either log me out or freeze up. Such a great idea but needs some serious tuning to be worthy of the responsibility we rely on it for.

Tricia

Reviewed on 20/12/2019

Permitting program that is easy to implement and very customizable

There are issues that have come up and the chat feature is helpful.

Pros

Ease of customizing, changing forms, adding restrictions, altering workflow. Hassle free

Cons

The software operates on a parcel base-that is based on homes and addresses. Our department manages municipal assets so we deal in street/ right of way location. This may seem like a subtle difference but it can be a problem especially around mapping permit locations

Nickolas

Reviewed on 03/01/2022

User Friendly

Pros

Very easy to use. We were able to add a few things and tweak a few things to best suit our needs.

Cons

Sometimes there is an issue when using an i-pad, but I believe that is an i-pad problem.

Alison

Reviewed on 05/01/2022

Town review

Helps keeps the office organized.

Pros

It is very user friendly, easy to communicate between inspectors

Cons

Sometimes slow and has connectivity issues, could be our internet system

• Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Reviewed on 19/12/2019

I'm just a user in another Dept...

Pros

Can access scanned documents like building plans.

Cons

Poor export functionality. Lack of printed forms and reports.

Terry

Reviewed on 23/12/2019

Over the Top

Pros

The ease and user friendly of Viewpoint having everything in front of you on screen

Cons

sometimes how long it took to connect, but that was not viewpoint,

Jade

a-ok

Over all, it has has been a good product and it allows me to work more effectively

Pros

I like the ease of data retrieval from any location

Cons

Because of self reporting, we get varried data entry issues. I wish that there were prespecified fields that would prompt the user. If they say they are "replacing a roof", it would be helpful to know if it is 2 square of 24 square, or instead of "rough and finish plumbing" to know how many wc's, sinks, hose bibs etc, like the state form had.

Raul

Reviewed on 03/01/2020

Application easy to use

Pros

I like the friendly look of the interface.

Cons

Some times takes time to open any file or task.

corey
  • Industry: Civil Engineering

Reviewed on 27/12/2021

opengov reviews

good service for the user

Pros

easy to use user friendly. keeps track of the things we need

Cons

there are no features that need to be revised it works good as to what ne need daily

Diane

Exceptional Product

Wonderful, responsive team to all questions

Pros

Ease of use, lots of functionality and reporting

Cons

Would like to print my own department reports

Rabbit warren.

A administrative time killer, and low efficiency with redundancy.

Pros

Remote application submitting for residents and contractors.

Cons

Redundant zoning steps in inter-phasing with other department applications that do not require zoning approval. Example, generator requires zoning, gas or electric does not but zoning would have to sign off three times and finals.

Adolf
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Comments

Pros

The ability to have several individuals review documents simultaneously and provide feedback and comments on a shared platform.

Cons

Ability to identify what documents to review and the navigation between different tabs/modules

Nameer
  • Industry: Design

Reviewed on 04/01/2022

Permit

easy to use and great for record store

Pros

easy to use and navigate to different subject

Cons

nothing wrong about this software, I like it a lot