LiquidPlanner Reviews

About LiquidPlanner

LiquidPlanner is a transformative project management solution for teams that want to plan, predict, and perform beyond expectations. It was designed to align your people, projects, and priorities to ensure the right people are...

4.1
3.9

Browse LiquidPlanner Reviews

Chuck
Chuck
  • Industry: Biotechnology
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Reviewed on 26/04/2019

Liquid Planner is a Very Effective Tool for Project Planning and Management.

Our team is fairly small (~50 users across the company) so we do not have dedicated resources to just maintain the information in Liquid Planer. However, Liquid planner is accessible and intuitive so we can have several team members contribute to the maintenance of project schedules as part of their duties.

We use Liquid Planner to manage the temporal aspects of project management. The tool is very good for what it is designed to do. There are a rich set of reporting tools that allow for customization to meet our needs. It has done this job for us very well. The support provided has been timely and effective.

Pros

The product is well designed so that it is a relatively low bar to learn how to use it effectively. It is easy for team members to interact with the software and to enter the information according to each users project role. When used as intended, the software does an excellent job providing the necessary views into project status. The software definitely lives up to its name as modifying project plans and priorities is easy and the impacts of such changes are essentially instantly available. The numerous but intuitive ways to manage project subtleties such as available time, delays, etc. make it straightforward to create realistic project schedules.

Cons

I do not have any specific negatives with respect to Liquid Planner. Like any software of this class, It does take some training and experience to get the most out of it. My best advice is to spend some time to understand how the designers intended the product to be used use it accordingly. LP has a rich set of features and if used properly will contribute positively to project management.

Matthew
  • Industry: Biotechnology

Reviewed on 07/09/2021

LiquidPlanner Project Management that Works!

We consolidated a variety of tools (spreadsheets, Microsoft Project, email) into a single project management system used by the entire company. This streamlined our training and minimized our project management overhead. LiquidPlanner did a great job at what it claimed to do - project management.

Pros

The product was simple to use. It was easy to for remote access since it is a SAAS. It did a great job keeping track of project tasks. Each task was simple to enter and simple to manage. Task attachments and checklists were nice features that gave additional information to the person doing the task and the project manager.

Cons

The software has a specific mentality about project management. If you follow that mentality, the software is amazing. If you decide you know better, it will lead to lots of lost time in trying to gain metrics from LiquidPlanner. Our team was trained on the former, but decided to do it their own way for about 16 months. It was a long hard battle to get our management team to switch to the LP mentality. When they finally did, the tool just worked with minimal effort and overhead. So, more our issue than LPs, but LP could be more flexible.

Jama Connect and Cognition Cockpit

Reasons for Choosing LiquidPlanner

SAAS plus SSO features and consolidation of tools.

Reasons for Switching to LiquidPlanner

Team input and ease of use.
Samuel
Samuel
  • Industry: Airlines/Aviation

Reviewed on 21/08/2018

Project Management and Not Much Else

I do like the tool. It's fairly simple to learn. Menu structure and feature overload are intimidating at first, but you get over that (to an extent). iOS app is important to my team - quick reference to projects running is very good to have and many other products like LP don't have a mobile app at all.

Overall, it's just not for me and my team. If there are better connections with development tools (Jira, BitBucket, Slack etc.) in the future, we may reconsider.

Pros

It's easy to set up hierarchy and control a project using LiquidPlanner. Feature set is very good and there are few gaps. For project planners, it's a great tool because it allows you to assign tasks, add time, and see a Gantt chart in a few clicks.

Cons

It's not for me. I'm in Product Management and my team was looking for a tool that will integrate with (or be less friction) with our current development tools. We currently use Atlassian (Jira, BitBucket) products for development and Google Sheets for our sprint management. The cons of LiquidPlanner is that it's a PROJECT tool, not a Product tool. I know LP probably doesn't plan on filling that need for a Product tool but there is a gap in that market and providing integrations with products like Atlassian could allow for LP to expand into a completely new market.

All the features are there, just need to engineer some more automated and simplified ways of managing products, rather than large scale projects with LP.

Top LiquidPlanner Alternatives

Tichaona Redemptor
Tichaona Redemptor
  • Used Weekly for Free Trial

Reviewed on 22/02/2024

LIquidplanner task manager of online cooperations

Very educational in every way i did not think possible

Pros

liked that LiquidPlanner was a cloud-based project management solution that adapted to change and uncertainty. It offered advanced features such as dynamic scheduling, resource management, real-time data, business process automation, and calendar management.

Cons

There is not much that I dislike about LiquidPlanner, but if I had to choose something, I would say that it can be a bit complex and overwhelming at first. Some users might find it hard to learn how to use all the features and functionalities of the software, especially if they are new to project management.

Nifty and TeamGantt

Nifty and TeamGantt
Julian
  • Industry: Automotive

Reviewed on 12/12/2019

Flexible and User Friendly

We have prevented primary resources from being over allocated. This shows where the bottle necks are and allows us to apply another resource to a particular task or project if needed.

Pros

We enjoy the user friendly interface. It's easy to add\move tasks and adjust project plans. Calendar view is also great for reviewing the team's work load on a weekly or monthly basis. This provides a clear direction for all members of the team.

Cons

It can become difficult to manage a work space with many projects (50+). Details can get lost and it can be overwhelming to users.

• Industry: Medical Devices

Reviewed on 10/12/2019

LiquidPlanner

Im 100 % satisfied with LiquidPlanner love the ease of use.

Pros

LiquidPlanner is my preferred online project management software quickly set up projects run analytics and provide real time updates to customers.

Cons

There are very few issues I have but I’m not a fan of the limited ability to provide a quick giant chart back to my customers.

Basecamp

Reasons for Switching to LiquidPlanner

LiquidPlanner is a true project management software
Gordon W
Gordon W
  • Industry: Design

Reviewed on 06/02/2019

Powerful and Flexible Project and Resource Planning, But Falls Short When Applied To Agencies

This tool is extremely powerful and robust, but like any other tool, the quality of the data which comes out of it is only as good as the data that is put into it. We attempted over the course of 12 mos. to integrate this tool into our small agency (<25 users). While simple to use, the biggest challenge was buy-in from other department captains in using the tool to its full potential.

Pros

I was very happy with the ease of use this product provided compared to some of the tools we used previously. It is built in a contemporary look and feel and is easy to navigate and manipulate data points in order to determine trends and better inform decisions. If you have the time and resources to dedicate to making sure the latest project data is always available, that is, due dates, estimated levels of effort remaining and hours logged are all kept up to date in a real-time basis, this tool has the potential to truly provide a wholistic and accurate view of the workload within an organization, along with any potential risks. The way the data are refreshed using the forecasting algorithms is a great feature which allows project managers to shift tasks around to determine how resources are affected.

Cons

Despite the name of "Liquid" Planner, there were some decidedly "unliquid" principals in which the software was built upon which power the accuracy and overall value of the product. If more then 25% of these principals are not known or regularly updated, the entire product grinds to a halt and the value it provides is completely lost. It's not a fault of how the product was built. I never encountered a time where the service/software was down or unavailable and each time I reached out to the support team they were courteous and prompt with their response. Overall, I felt frustrated by the amount of data the tool needs (and how that data need to be structured) in order for the tool to be valuable and viable. More often than not, I felt myself and the team responsible for the tool were spending more time administering the tool itself rather than using the information coming out of the tool to better our projects.

Jayna
Jayna
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Reviewed on 18/04/2019

LP

I use LP every day to manage our department's projects. We do not use all of the features for our smaller in-house team, but the project list, assigning owners, comments feature, file sharing and flexible prioritization features keep our workflow more streamlined and efficient. I also like that we can add freelance contractors to our workspace so the whole team can collaborate in one space. Again, it takes a little more time getting people acquainted with the system, so it would save me time if the UI and navigation were easier to understand.

Pros

LiquidPlanner helps us stay organized and keeps all of our team's communications in a centralized place. I like that the scheduling and prioritization of projects is flexible. And I like that we can adjust the number of seats each month as the size of out team and freelance staff changes.

Cons

It seems difficult for people to catch on to the UI quickly. Most of our staff took a while to adjust to the way LP works and how to most effectively use the software. It might be worth looking into more user testing to find ways to make the navigation and data entry more intuitive.

Addison

Reviewed on 04/12/2023

Addison LiquidPlanner Experience

Pros

Ease of deployment and utilization. Task and project management automation is another great aspect.

Cons

The only issue is lack of iOS mobile application.

Myriam
Myriam
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Reviewed on 27/08/2018

LiquidPlanner

Liquid Planner is a great tool to manage small demand/task on a daily basis, but it's difficult to follow big project within the same workspace.

Pros

Dynamic tool and Manages overall priorities

Cons

- When there is a change in a project, everything else changes without notice. I don't know that the dates on my project were moved, why and by whom.
- Multiple Assignment: I would like to have the possibility to decide if the remaining time is cumulative or specific to each one. In other words, if total = 20 hours, 4 assignee's, I would like to have the availability to identify if the Remaining time is per person or will be redistributed to the 4 assignee's.
- Filter by tags is using only "OR" logic... It would be useful to be able to filter also by "AND".
- Limit of 100 lines in Dashboard
- When I create a Favorite View, it would be useful to have the possibility to share it with another person.
-"+" sign should show only when there is something inside the project / Sub Project / Package.

Lisa
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Reviewed on 31/05/2022

Feature-rich Project Management Software!

LiquidPlanner provides the best-customized data and special reports. Moreover, you can grant multiple permission letters to more than a hundred people. Additionally, with this premium software, you can record the daily working hours in your project. You can simply administer your activities and sort out them accordingly.

Pros

LiquidPlanner works with a 3P strategy. Thus, this software works to plan, predict, and perform which is impeccable. So, it helps in aligning and managing your business in better ways. The LiquidPlanner has a better scheduling network and works by providing the best features for marketing trends. Additionally, you can also enjoy the free accounts here. LiquidPlanner is a highly productive tool. This software provides you with a helpful guide about the format and structure that you should follow for projects. Additionally, LiquidPlanner properly saves all your files and important documents without consuming much space. Thus, it is the better option to choose for storing significant data in one place. You should use the premium version to unlock other features.

Cons

The most unwanted feature of this tool is the complex system. Thus, users find it hard to understand and operate the tool. So, there is a need for qualified skills to use its dashboard and further operations. LiquidPlanner only works for the basic features and doesn't provide any tested list opportunities. Additionally, this software doesn't work with the user-friendly mode and thus, at times users find it hard to manage it.

Avery
  • Industry: Computer Games

Reviewed on 14/08/2018

Really powerful for project managers, less good for other users

Pros

Really powerful, the gantt chart overview was really useful while our estimates were kept up to date. Project-focused organization allows us to keep a broad view of a complex project and tagging and export features are able to generate a variety of views of our data in an organized way.

Cons

Our executive team and eventually our developers stopped using it. Primary interface of the projects tab was too overwhelming & complex. No way to give teams a link that included the filters down to what they actually care about or give people a link to the exact view & set of filters that I was sharing during screen sharing. Not enough integration with external services (github, perforce, JIRA, bug tracking). Quite expensive. Overwhelming interface meant users didn't update tasks, which meant our data got out of date. Gantt chart stopped being accurate or useful and just got overwhelming. Dashboards could be made for visibility but didn't offer the teams opportunities to modify a limited view. Not easy enough to link to a specific task, or generate a new ticket in the right place with a simple link to a user-speakable identifier like a ticket-based system. Still great for people who are technically minded and want the big picture, not great for people who want a limited view of a subset of the project or are too busy to learn how to use the tool effectively.

Dave
  • Industry: Higher Education

Reviewed on 06/12/2019

LiquidPlanner review

We are using LiquidPlanner to capture, track, and manage our department's projects and tasks.

Pros

LiquidPlanner allows our teams to track thousands of tasks across hundreds of projects. Features critical to us include the ability to effectively view hundreds of projects, define sub-folders (ie. summary tasks) more than one level deep, and define filter views (to limit on screen content) are critical features.

Cons

No ability to create private projects and tasks. No ability to create more than one workspace. No ability to assign or limit personnel access per project (only per your single workspace). The very limited functionality of the mobile application make it effectively useless.

Marek

Reviewed on 23/05/2023

LiquidPlanner Review

My experience with LiquidPlanner was positive. The platform provided a comprehensive set of project management tools that allowed me to effectively plan, track, and collaborate on my projects. The dynamic scheduling, resource management, and real-time tracking features helped me stay organized and deliver projects on time. While there was a learning curve initially, the platform proved to be powerful and reliable in managing complex projects. The ability to track time, generate insightful reports, and collaborate with team members significantly improved my overall project management efficiency.

Pros

One of the things I liked most about LiquidPlanner was its robust project management features. The platform offered advanced scheduling and resource management capabilities, allowing me to efficiently plan and track my projects. The dynamic Gantt chart and priority-based scheduling helped me visualize project timelines and dependencies effectively. The ability to assign tasks, collaborate with team members, and track progress in real-time was highly beneficial. Moreover, the integrated time tracking and reporting features provided valuable insights into project performance and resource utilization.

Cons

While LiquidPlanner had many strengths, one aspect I liked least was the initial complexity of the platform. It required some time and effort to fully grasp its functionalities and configure projects according to my specific needs. The learning curve might be steeper for users who are new to project management software. Additionally, the user interface could be improved to enhance ease of use and navigation. Despite these minor drawbacks, once I became familiar with the system, I found it highly effective for managing complex projects.

Aaron
  • Industry: E-Learning

Reviewed on 12/12/2019

LP - Aaron

We implemented this software three years ago as our project management solution for the department. We do instructional design in the higher Ed space

Pros

I like the predictive functionality, ease of commenting with email notifications, and the analytics tab. Makes it easy to allocate department resources and understand at a glance where bottlenecks exist.

Cons

I would like to have more custom fields.

I would like a filter that allows me to view all of the projects that I own regardless of who owns the tasks. It’s hard for me to only see *only* the projects that I own because i’m on at least one task within every project of the department so every project shows up.

It would also be great to have the ability to set certain tasks, for example ones with zero expected effort allocated, to be impervious to flames. Those are basically check boxes, reminders. We like having people assigned but we don’t like the fact that they can flame entire projects predictively.

It would be great to have a view on the projects tab or the person tab that is a simple line graph showing expected/past effort/hours logged by day, by month etc: hours on the Y axis and days/months on the X axis.

Matthew
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Reviewed on 18/11/2022

LiquidPlanner Makes Planning Easy

Pros

It's so easy to assign tasks to individuals and groups alike. The level of functionality is as much or as little as you want. We can track ballpark revenue vs expenses at a glance, allocate projects based on existing workload.

Cons

It's unfortunate that you can't assign fixed labor costs, or add non-labor expenses to tasks and projects. This could allow for more accurate tracking of total billing vs total expenses at a glance without resorting to using additional software. Being able to generate invoices would also be a great benefit that would negate the need for additional software.

James P.
James P.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Reviewed on 15/01/2018

Powerful, adaptive, and flexible project management solution

Pros

The blend of waterfall and agile capabilities, with a solid Kanban. It is an excellent planning solution for large waterfall based projects and equally capable for agile with scrum projects.

For waterfall: It is far easier to use than MS Project or other such solutions that require manual control over dates. The priority based scheduling engine schedules based on priority of the task in the system's hierarchical order. While this is not always the most flexible, they provide numerous ways to control the prioritization with resource splitting, work caps, delayed starts, and dependencies. The time-tracking capabilities are impressive, and it easily integrates time, notes, and work items. The mobile solution is slick and works well.

For agile with scrum: Liquid Planner can be configured with fields to capture stories, acceptance criteria, and other elements related to stories. The kanban boards can be configured with a variety of stages.

Cons

While I agree with the priority based scheduling concept, and its implementation, I'd like a bit more flexibility to control my daily task list rather than having to rigidly follow what the schedule dictates I should be doing. Right now, the My Work section allows the user only to see their tasks in order of master schedule priority, which is not always the most logical order in which to work on a specific day. They do permit workarounds with the ASAP prioritization - which works well.

My other suggestions for improvement are:
- more granular control over alerts and feeds
- synchronization with Google/Outlook calendar (right now it requires manual calendar synchronization)
- Better reporting on agile with scrum, kanbans.

Reviewed on 14/08/2018

Simple Project Management

We have been using LiquidPlanner for almost two years now. It is a good web solution that is relatively easy to use. We have had success in logging employee time against tasks, projects, and clients. It is a more robust tool than some of the basic project management tools on the market (or excel sheets). It does have some limitations that may or may not impact certain project management needs.

Pros

LiquidPlanner is a good tool for tracking employee time against tasks and projects. We use this LiquidPlanner for tracking time associated with specific projects and clients.

Cons

With any tool, there are some limitations. LiquidPlanner does a decent job of reporting and dashboarding by project. For our organization, reporting and dashboarding by client and/or by month is more important. Unfortunately, there is not a good solution in LiquidPlanner to help us with this. The solutions that exist are clunky and/or partial. LiquidPlanner has the ability to create shared tasks which is a great feature. This allows multiple employees to be on the same task. Unfortunately, schedule timelines and priorities do not calculate well when using shared tasks. It's better for every employee to be on their own task for schedule timelines and priorities to calculate properly.

Ann
Ann

Reviewed on 17/08/2017

Great project management software even though it doesn't fit our needs 100% of the time.

I couldn't do my work every day without Liquid Planner. I am constantly referencing it and using it throughout the day.

Pros

I like the way we can use this as a project management, time tracking, and a scheduling platform. So many other tools I've used only address one of these vital areas.

The timers on each task are one of my favorite features of Liquid Planner. It makes it so easy to track time and see how accurate estimates really are on a given task or set of tasks. You can easily view progress, see overruns and areas of concern (there's a red fire icon), and put as many details in the actual task as you need. You can link tasks together, create dependencies, and perform other actions to get a realistic view of a project.

Cons

Sometimes it is difficult to set up scheduling the way our company needs it to be represented. However Liquid Planner always seems to be putting out new features and their support team is very helpful in trying to help their clients find solutions.

• Industry: Higher Education

Reviewed on 06/12/2019

Cloud-based Project and Department Resources Management Tool of Choice

The customer support from LiquidPlanner has been excellent! We recently had some very helpful web conferences with the customer support team and found some new features we were previously unaware of.

Pros

LiquidPlanner has been our project management software application since 2016. We manage hundreds of projects for six different clients and internal projects. With an agile team of 11 employees, this tool has allowed us to balance employee workloads, better predict time-to-market, and analyze our department efficiency and cost-effectiveness.

Cons

It took nearly a year to real 'dial-in' the software to our unique use case. There was a lot of trial-and-error in the beginning and a number of hours spent with tech support from LiquidPlanner. However, we have the tool running very well for our processes now and find new areas of our business where the data from LiquidPlanner has been beneficial to decision-making.

Mike
  • Industry: E-Learning

Reviewed on 01/12/2022

LP Review

It has raised us to next level in our production and efficiencies. The ability to see exactly what is happening within projects has greatly reduced production times. The money it has saved us internally well pays for the cost of using the tool compared to others.

Pros

The automatic resource allocation, and automatic scheduling. Their customer support has been amazing from the LP team.

Cons

Has been difficult for building internal dashboards to track all our revenue data. This is greatly improving and look forward to the new enhancements.

Reviewed on 12/02/2017

Expensive but the Features are Worth It

I used this product for myself, because the firm I work for uses Microsoft Planner (free) which is crap. Liquid Planner isn't perfect, but it's one of the best out there. I like that it schedules my time for me. My main complaint is that you cannot assign clients to tasks like you can for projects. It is obviously optimized for companies that work on very large, involved projects, whereas, I do many short, discrete projects - like writing a NR or a newsletter. I set these up as tasks because it isn't worth the time to set up a project. Then, I have to nest them inside a project folder to assign them to a client. Frustrating

Pros

Excellent time tracking and scheduling features, bonuses like setting dependencies, and comprehensive analysis and reporting features.

Cons

Optimized for large, involved projects and as a result the Task designation isn't as helpful as it might be. Needs richer functionality in Tasks for short projects where it isn't worth setting up a project folder.

Yong

Reviewed on 09/03/2017

The transparency of the project gives great confidence to all

We are using LiquidPlanner (LP) in almost every project. Besides tracking and reporting progress inside, one of the best things is to keep our clients updated regarding their projects in real time. Such transparency has huge benefit to both side, the clients and the development team.

For clients, they may gain confidence from the project progress at any time. Especially, many of them are start-ups. They relies on the project to develop their business and talk further with the potential investors. The real time update helps to plan their future in a more accurate way.

For the team, LP is used to get real time feedback from clients. Any blocks may be identified and solved in time. And we know what we did is what the clients need and does bring business value to them.

In general, with LP, all the parties around the project get the transparency and are given the great confidence of the success.

Pros

share information among all parties.

Katherine

Reviewed on 11/04/2019

Instructional Design perspective

Overall this is a great product.

Pros

Great way to organize your projects if you are following from a true project management perspective in which various entities can't be done without the completion of another. A lot of features and customization to make it your own experience.

Cons

After filtering projects and such, you can't organize it the way you want to, such as in alphabetical order, numerical, or priority. The filters it contains eliminates items, and i like to see everything. We do a form of project management but not in the true textbook sense, as certain tasks and items do not stop us from completing something, everything can still keep moving. Our process is a mix of qualitative and quantitative.

Jonathan
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

Reviewed on 18/04/2019

Facelift and Usability

Pros

It's most of what we need to manage a project. Having tried a number of other project planners, I don't know of anything else I'd rather use.

Cons

- How much time did X number of (selected) tasks take to finish based on the time logged (start/end dates) as an average? Can I revise the estimate on all subsequent tasks based on that estimate automatically?
- Too many lines in the UI. Needs a facelift. I've made a subdued version available here: https://userstyles.org/styles/163485/modern-ui
- I desperately wish you could see more tasks at the same time.
- You should be allowed to select hundreds of tasks at a time (not being limited to 50 would be great)!
- I want to see a visual queue of tasks per employee spanning multiple projects as a timeline wherein each task is denoted as finishing on a specific day.
- Stopwatch needs to always be accessible, and have multiple stopwatches visible per current tasks for the day in one (dockable) panel that persists (doesn't run away).
- Icons are blurry. You need a pixel artist on the team.