Shift Reviews

About Shift

Your power browser. Shift is the first browser to merge all your web apps into one powerful window. Streamline everything you do online when you install Shift and access thousands of apps without leaving your browser. Connect...

4.2
4.2

Browse Shift Reviews

Jordan
Jordan

Reviewed on 30/09/2019

Excellent professional or even personal work oriented application

By utilizing Shift I am maximizing efficiency, eliminating redundancy, and turning my workstation use into a power user platform with its ease of functionality and organization. i never miss a beat.

Pros

Shift is what I call sort of an Iphone or Android app for PC. It collects all of your most used applications, websites and programs for easy access in one clean and efficient user interface. it makes your pc or mac as easy to use as an Iphone. My efficiency has gone through the roof since utilizin this application.

Cons

There is little negative about this software. I suppose more integrations would always be nice but that is hardly a downside. It's more of, "it would be nice for this app to do this or that, but you can only get so much utility for the money!

• Industry: Architecture & Planning

Sign-In Issues

Pros

I have four business accounts I can see at once, switch between calendars and files, and get notifications all in one place. I hated having multiple windows open in my browser and having to switch between tabs.

Cons

I am having to sign-in to my accounts and authorize shift to access my info too frequently. I don't have to do it this often online. Once approved, shouldn't Shift be recognized by Google?

Will
  • Industry: Performing Arts

Reviewed on 22/10/2019

Beautiful concept; execution needs work

Pros

LOVE that it allows me to shift (get it?) between apps and accounts without changing windows. The integration with G-Suite is helpful since I manage multiple email accounts but generally use Drive with only one (this sort of arrangement frequently causes authentication issues when implemented in a browser)--so I am able to swap between email accounts while working on a spreadsheet in my "master" account.

Adore the integration with apps like WhatsApp, Slack and HootSuite--it's like having my very own personalized terminal with all of the solutions I need to get my work done efficiently. I also like that I can rearrange the stack of accounts and apps to suit my workflow.

Cons

This software is buggy as hell. I frequently have to re-authenticate my Gmail accounts as well as apps like HubSpot, HootSuite and WhatsApp (for some reason, Slack is pretty much the only app I have noticed that does not require me to regularly re-enter my credentials). I wouldn't mind this all that much, except for the fact that Slack does not seem to talk to Apple's Keychain, so I end up having to look up my (sometimes lengthy) passwords for each account. This will sometimes happen mid-session, with no explanation.

Another issue is that my Gmail accounts will routinely reload while I'm in the middle of composing a message. Again, no explanation provided, just a dialogue saying "changes you make might not be saved" and then adios!

The rate at which these issues occur is high enough that I have considered abandoning the product ("why am I paying to take twice as long to write an email?"), especially since, even though I am a paying subscriber, support for these issues has been fair to middling. The latest response I received was that authentication issues can happen when the same Shift account is installed on multiple devices--which seems ridiculous, by the way, for those of us neanderthals that still have multiple computers--and that uninstalling shift on my other computers *should* fix the problem. It didn't, but I have yet to find another product worth my taking the time and effort to rejig my workflow/learn a new interface.

Top Shift Alternatives

Nia

Reviewed on 31/12/2023

Shift Served It's Purpose But Wavebox Kicked It Out of the Park!

Overall, I was satisfied with Shift to a point. Once I found Wavebox I was MUCH happier and was capable of doing everything I originally wanted to do with Shift.

Pros

I liked the "all in one" browser technology of Shift. That's what drew me to it in the first place.

Cons

The cost, customer service, and functionality was lacking in some spaces.

Reid
Reid

Reviewed on 08/06/2020

No support for Google 2-factor authentication (2FA) makes it useless

There's no indication that they're even trying to solve the 2FA problem. And no customer support team to reach out to, to even ask for a refund for the past month when I've been mostly unable to use it. Trying leaving a review to get some kind of attention

Pros

I really liked Shift when I first got it. It worked as advertised (with minor bugs) and I was happy to share with friends. Nice that tabs never close, although they do sign out weirdly frequently and there's no autofill to quickly log back in. Those problems aside, it improved my workflow having all my essential tabs in one place, so much that I became over-reliant on it...

Cons

When my company switched to 2-factor authentication, this app that I paid for became completely useless. It never sends a notification to my phone when I try and sign in, and goes to a 404 when I select "try another method." Have sent multiple "feedback forms" over the past month or two to deaf ears. Now I'm in this weird place where I still have some apps in Shift and some in Chrome... it's probably worse workflow-wise than before.

Keyur
  • Industry: Nanotechnology

Reviewed on 07/04/2024

Very unreliable, keeps crashing and extremely POOR customer support

I have tried to use Shift on 3 different devices (1 PC and 2 Mac) and its been terrible experience. Every time I am in the middle of something or try to open a new tab the entire app would crash randomly. Specifically if I search for a document on Google Drive and open in a new tab the app would crash.

It also lacks some basic features like reopening a closed tab.

Their customer service would always ask you to clear all the data, restart or try a fresh install instead of actually analyzing the logs to identify what went wrong and how to fix it. I provided specific steps for them to reproduce the issue 100% of the times but very their customer support is very poor.

If you are a light user it may work for you, but the main use of Shift is for power user which defeats the purpose. Back to using Chrome as my main browser.

Pros

Easy to use if you are a light user with a couple of accounts

Cons

Poor customer support
Very unreliable and keeps crashing

Scott
Scott
  • Industry: Design
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Reviewed on 05/12/2019

Shift has shifted a complicated group of windows into one

Shift has allowed me to streamline my workflows and keep everything neat on my desktop

Pros

Shift has continued to evolve during the time that I've used it and continues to become a more efficient way to manage the multiple apps and windows that I have to use daily. The app integrations are a god send given I no longer have to keep multiple apps/windows open.

Cons

The one draw back that I have found is that Shift does not import bookmarks from Chrome or other browsers. Once they get these in, I doubt I'll need to use an actual internet browser for anything.

Response from Shift Technologies Inc.

Thank you for the review. We're very excited to hear that your workflow has been streamlined with Shift and that your desktop is neater. We're working hard on functionality to allow for importing bookmarks from the web so that you don't need to use a browser ever again. Stay tuned for updates!

Sailaja N.
Sailaja N.
  • Industry: Publishing

Reviewed on 09/01/2018

Using shift has been amazing. It is seamless in its design and allows me to manage multiple...

It saves so much time and is really incredibly easy to use

Pros

That it integrates with a wide variety of software, messaging apps and more. I love that i can easily toggle between multiple email identities as well as messaging apps. I haven't tried some of the more recent additions, but am excited to.

Cons

It's still a little bit of a clunky UI and I wish there were more app integrations (like airtable). I also wish I could visually customize the appearance a bit more.

Rachel
Rachel
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Reviewed on 05/07/2019

Best tool I didn't know I needed

You will save time you didn't know you can get back. It's a game-changer, particularly for contract and freelance workers who have so many accounts.

Pros

Having everything in one app has been a game-changer. I use multiple GSuite accounts, 5+ Slack Workspaces, Evernote, ClickUp for project management, Toggl to track time - all of these apps running on my computer made it really slow and I didn't realize how much time I spent navigating around everything. Shift conveniently puts everything in 1 place and has saved me so much time I didn't know I could get back.

Cons

I do run a lot in it, but 1-2 times a day I have to reload the entire app because it's glitching and won't save properly (I've never lost anything because I realize it super fast, but still annoying)

• Industry: Executive Office

Reviewed on 16/09/2020

Shift is a time saver and a life saver

I have used the paid version for years. It is fantastic. Everything I use all day in one central location. No more open tabs and jumping between tabs or apps. Simple and elegant!

Pros

Shift allows me to get more done in my day and has helped me to increase my productivity. It is well thought out and so easy to use and deploy.

Cons

To be honest, I don't have a feature I don't like.

Carley

Overall Shift has been perfect

I rate this software a B+ / A grade essentially. I am very happy. I have not added in a ton of applications such as evernote, and zoho. I really am just happy with the email aspect part of my day to day.

Pros

I have 5 total emails. 2 of them are office 365. You may ask, why 6. We we are a company that develops strategic relationships with other Marketing Agencies, and we are required part of a white label to communicate part of other teams. Having multiple emails is a crucial part of our operations. Originally I used Kiwi, but Kiwi only supports Gmail / Gsuite accounts. 3 years ago I had everything in outlook, but calendar appoints was horrible. Shift allows me to keep everything in front of my eyes with all email accounts. I am very happy with Shift, and several of our team members use it. if your happy with the Gmail interface, but have multiple email accounts. This software is exactly for you. Look no further, because I spent years trying to find a Windows Based desktop application to manage my emails. Before Shift I have multiple chrome logins and browser tabs open for Gmail. I was missing emails, and everything was out of sorts.

Cons

The only issue I see and experience is sometimes having 6 accounts in Shift my emails are about 30 seconds to 60 seconds delaying incoming. Not the end of the world. The other issue, is about 2 times a weeks one or all of the accounts prompt me to re-authenticate. A little bit of a pain, but not a deal breaker.

Justin
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Reviewed on 31/10/2019

Shift is an amazing time saver!

I own a recording studio and I also run an artist management and consulting company. So I generally have a ton of emails that I have to keep up with as well as utilize a lot of applications and plugins with them like Hubspot and Grammarly and a ton of other programs like Gchat, asana, Buffer, Slack and a ton of others. So being able to see everything at a quick glace has been an enormous time-saver for me! It is something that I have up every day and is basically the core of my workflow. I've recommended it to several other people in my industry and show it off as often as I can. Now that I've joined the referral program, I'm really gonna try and show it to as many people as I can. Time is money in my line of work so I know if it is able to make me more efficient, then it can help just about any entrepreneur

Pros

I love that it allows me to have all of my emails and main applications that I use on a daily basis right there in one easy window where I can easily see any notifications. Giving me that quick glance of everything saves me a ton of time. I really love the all email search feature. Running a few businesses makes it hard sometimes to remember which email sent which item so that helps me track stuff down very quickly.

Cons

I know at least for me. Running a MacBook on 10.13.6 with great specs, it still seems to be a heavy resource hog. But I am using a ton of the applications and integrations with it. It does tend to log me out of several of my email account every few days for some reason. But I am unsure if that is a specific Shift thing or something to do with Gmail.

Matthew

Reviewed on 15/10/2019

Shift has optimized my life!

Overall, my experience has been incredibly positive. I am looking forward to starting my second year with the membership and fully maximizing the increased efficiency. My peers marvel at how I am able to balance all of the various commitments and work that is required and I owe so much of that to Shift. As someone who works remotely from my co-workers, communication is vital to be effective in my job. With Shift, I am always at the top of my game!

Pros

The ability to manage several accounts and applications simultaneously from one desktop has increased my production dramatically. I serve on several boards and have positions that require monitoring as many as 8 emails. Shift has given me the ability to easily move between accounts and constantly keep my pulse on what is happening in my various roles. I like to operate with maximum efficiency and be very timely with my responses and Shift has allowed me to be at the top of my game at all times.

Cons

This is a nitpick, but I am someone who likes to have zero unread emails in my inbox. The hotkey to make an email read is Ctrl + Q. However, that is also the hotkey for closing the application. So I will frequently close out of Shift and have to re-login which is inconvenient. I also find that the logins will frequently expire for emails I do not check daily and it can cause issues where I am not aware that new messages have arrived since the inbox is not updating.

Lauren

Shift by Redbrick Review

It's neutral. I like it for collecting email, Trello, and Slack into one window, but the rest of my experience has been mediocre. I thought this would eliminate my million tabs, but the integrations that sold me on the product don't function as they should, so that simply isn't the outcome I got. Support was helpful in offering for me to switch to the beta version, but I am not convinced that will solve any of these issues, and I don't have time to email back and forth with support every single time this happens.

Pros

1. Ease of use
2. Interface
3. Having Trello, Slack, and two email accounts in one window

Cons

Many of the integrations I hoped to use simply do not work. So for Shift to claim it has them and then to experience them not functioning effectively is extremely frustrating. And this is not user error. I have tried closing, quitting, and reopening the application, refreshing, logging in and out of accounts, and completely deleting and re-adding integrations. Nothing helped. I completely understand glitches now and again and understand these integrations require communication between platforms. However, the extent to which I am having issues with integrations is unreasonable.

I'm specifically referring to:

1. Spotify (won't play music)
2. Toggl (won't load, blank screen except for top navigation)
3. Squarespace (won't load)
4. Sprout social (won't load, blank screen)

Response from Shift Technologies Inc.

Thank you for the review! We're happy to hear you're finding Shift easy to use and enjoying having your apps and multiple email accounts in one window. You may have noticed the addition of focused web tabs recently and that many of the bugs you mentioned have been fixed. However, if you're still have any of these issues or any new issues have come up, we'd love to hear from you. Feel free to reach out or to create a support ticket (https://support.tryshift.com/new).

Reviewed on 13/12/2019

Excellent Product, Awful Support

The product is excellent but I'm extremely disappointed by support.

I was offered a free year long trial of the beta version of Premium by a senior member of the team after having buggy experiences earlier on. A few months in I was loving it and planning to upgrade to Premium after the year.

However, after a few months, the account was spontaneously downgraded. After almost 2 additional months of back and forth with support, I still didn't have access to the original subscription.

The person I was in communication with was friendly and responsive at first, but literally did not acknowledge the nature of the issue and kept asking for the credit card on file (there was none since I never had a paid account). I question whether or not she actually read the emails. Eventually she stopped responding unless I followed up, became less and less friendly, and I finally just deleted the account.

I loved the product but felt there was a significant disconnect with customer support that made it impossible to benefit from the Shift in a reliable way. Ultimately, the issues with customer support cost a great deal of time and I lost all of the benefits of streamlined productivity.

Pros

Easy to use, used to be really buggy but has improved significantly
Chrome extensions are now available
So easy to toggle between accounts
Doesn't seem to use a lot of bandwidth

Cons

Frequent identity verification - but that's probably not within Shift's control

Best Productivity Software Available

Shift allows me to save time during my day by keeping all of my important communication tools, including multiple Gmail accounts, open and accessible without having to switch between accounts in the browser. Staying on top of multiple email accounts and other methods of communication during the day (such as Facebook Messenger and Android Messages) was time consuming and ineffective. But with Shift, it puts it all in once place and is very easy to use!

Pros

Access to multiple Gmail accounts within a single window and no switching accounts. Also love having access to other web applications within a single app as well. Allows you to build out a customized set of web apps to save you time during your day.

Cons

To be honest, I have had very few issues with Shift. Google Forms can be a pain sometimes as their don't always want to open in the child windows, but other than that, it just works.

Reviewed on 04/01/2020

Makes me feel calm when working

I love shift because it makes it easy for my team to see all the applications we use, all in one place.
When I'm using it, I love that it makes me feel calm when I work because I know where everything is and am never jumping between 50 tabs (which makes my head spin) and work more efficiently.

Pros

Everything is in one spot, which is what I like the most. It's easy to use and add new applications as you grow your business.

Cons

I wish you could use the keyboard to flip between screens faster. Even though I can't do that, I still prefer to use this Shift over just my browser.

Response from Shift Technologies Inc.

Thanks for your review! We're very happy to hear that Shift helps you feel calm while working and that you're finding it easy to use.

You may already be aware, but with the latest 4.0 release you can now cycle windows, check notifications and switch between accounts with the latest addition to our list of custom keyboard shortcuts. It's great for quickly toggling between your top apps and accounts without lifting your fingers off the keyboard.

Take it for a spin:

Mac: Command + `
Windows: Control + Tab

To see a full list of keyboard shortcuts within shift use:

Mac: Command + /
Windows: Control + /

If you have any other questions or comment, feel free to contact out support team!

Replied 13/01/2020
COLE
  • Industry: Printing

Reviewed on 15/10/2019

Software Is fantastic, for the most part

We have too many forms of communication, and not enough screens to utilize. Then you have the multi-tab problem. It makes it too difficult to manage.

This tool helped create a simply solution.

Pros

I love that this thing consolidates all of my emails, crm, and communication channels all in one. This as made life that much easier. Especially people that are using one screen, this is the perfect consolidation tool to use.

Cons

I have had some problems with this tool not syncing well with hubspot or boomerrang. I have to constantly restart it in order for these tools to function properly.

Response from Shift Technologies Inc.

Thanks for the review! We're excited that you're finding Shift is perfect for consolidating emails, crm and communication in one place. Are you still having issues with HubSpot and Boomerang or have they been solved with a recent release? If you're still having trouble, we invite you to create a support ticket (https://support.tryshift.com/new) so that our team can look in to the issue.

Sierra
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Reviewed on 16/10/2019

Keeps all my work programs in one window!

Overall, I genuinely love using this program. I'm one of those people who keeps taps & windows open, and I was losing my freaking mind before I found Shift. Being able to keep all of my work stuff organized in one program has been a game changer for me!

Pros

I love that you can have multiples of the same app saved on the sidebar for multiple accounts. Also, I leave Shift open for a couple of weeks at a time & it has never force-closed on me for an update (this is a huge one for me).

Cons

Some of my apps will sign me out after idle time (which is fine & makes sense), but Shift doesn't fill form usernames when I go to sign back in. Or even having the option to save my password in that app would be nice. Sounds like a small thing, but I have long email handles and those few seconds add up over time.

Google Voice - when Shift is open & I receive a Voice call, it would be great if some kind of notification popped up that would take me to the call. By the time I get to the Voice App (and have to sign in for the third time), I've missed the call.

Stanton
  • Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Reviewed on 21/10/2019

Great, but buggy

I solve problems that cannot be done with multiple browser tabs open. Shift helps me amazingly. Just wish it didn't eat through my computer so much

Pros

I love the fact I can go in between my multiple emails, various Google programs, and add apps. Love all of those features.

Cons

I'm not a fan of the fact that I can't have both sheets and docs open (for example) at the same time without opening a new window.

Additionally, the slow opening, my inability to copy/paste with my mouse in Google Doc or Sheets is BEYOND frustrating

Response from Shift Technologies Inc.

Thanks for your review! We're happy to hear that you're loving the Shift features that allow you to manage multiple email, Google and app accounts. You have likely already noticed, but our 4.0 release that included focused web tabs will allow you to have multiple docs and sheets open at the same time. If you have any questions about this, feel free to reach out and our team will be glad to help.

Ryan

Reviewed on 21/10/2019

Great app for managing multiple Gmail and other accounts!

I currently have a couple different emails I use for work and have my a couple accounts for my personal business. Shift allows me to swap between all of these accounts without cross-pollinating them. I love it. At work I have a laptop with two monitors and one monitor is always dedicated to Shift!

Pros

Shift makes the integration and access to multiple programs very easy and simple. I love switching between email accounts and accessing everything I need very quickly.

Cons

The only issue I have had with Shift is that I sometimes have to login multiple times to an add-on/application because it isn't syncing well. I have also had to reboot the software a couple times because it was being "buggy". All of which I think is a natural part of the process and appears that the support team is actively working on ways to improve on these types of issues.

Stephanie
  • Industry: Sporting Goods

Reviewed on 16/10/2019

Best way to organize multiple email accounts

The ability to track all the email accounts and the extra widgets to help optimize and save time most definitely work. We went through many email management systems before finding shift and shift has been a life saver. With the extra tools we were also able to find other services that help optimize our time too.

Pros

The ability to manage multiple inboxes. I currently track 5 inboxes and the ability to track all of them in one place is a huge time saver.

Cons

Which there were some apps. We use Sunsa along side of asana that would a good app to add

Response from Shift Technologies Inc.

Thank you for the review! We're excited to hear that you find Shift the best way to organize multiple inboxes. Thank you for the suggestion of Sunsa, we are always adding new apps and have added it to the list. Stay tuned!

CIERA
  • Industry: Civic & Social Organization

Great Tool

I find it very useful and helpful in keeping my work portals organized and accessible. There are a few small things I'd like tweaked or added but overall I enjoy having it.

Pros

What I like most about Shift is how it centralizes all of the different sites and apps that I use on a regular basis and keeps them all organized and in one place for me to access. Particularly for work it is helpful to have all of my work tools in one place that I can easily access rather than having a ton of windows and tabs open mixed in with everything else.

Cons

I wish that there were more apps available to integrate into my Shift screen. I also wish that it did not periodically log me out of my apps that I have within shift. The appeal of it is the ease of use and access and that is somewhat diminished when I have to continue to enter and re-enter my passwords. I also wish it had an internet browser option/feature within it.

Response from Shift Technologies Inc.

Thanks for the review! We're glad to hear that you're enjoying being able to centralize your apps and emails in one place with Shift. We're always adding new apps. If you have some specific apps that you use, we'd love to hear from you so that we can add them to the list. Also, you may have noticed already, but version 4.0 includes focused web tabs which acts as a browser. If you have any questions about this feature, feel free to reach out.

Educator Who Loves Shift

My experience has been great. I have not needed much support at all. The program is intuitive and easy to use. I wish it were cheaper, but I can see the value of the product ad why it costs what it does. It has saved me hours of time opening and logging into separate email accounts multiple times a day.

Pros

I love that I can have access to multiple email accounts in one place that are easy to find/navigate. I have a professional email, a personal email, another professional email for consulting work I do, and another professional email for student government work. I have access to all of those easily on Shift, and getting through my email is a breeze now.

Cons

I find I have to log into the accounts more frequently than I want. At least once a week, I need to do this, and the purpose of the software (for me) was to keep the accounts open, separate, and secure in an easy-to-access manner.

Reviewed on 24/05/2023

Lack of features, support, and riddled with bugs.

I am appalled that they have the audacity to raise prices despite no shipping meaningful updates or clearing out bugs that cause the app the consistently crash - numerous times a day.

Pros

conceptually, Shift is a great idea and a reimagined way to use Chrome.

Cons

This is easily the most overpriced, bug-riddled browser that exists. Between constant and consistent app crashes, inconsistent and poor support, and lack of any meaningful updates to the product in the past 12 months. It can and will be replaced by free options or even paid options that actually execute the true mission of Shift.