Sage HR Reviews

About Sage HR

Sage HR is a cloud-based human resource management solution that integrates core features like 360 feedback, workforce management, performance appraisal, and attendance tracking. The Sage HR scheduling platform supports time-off...

4.1

Browse Sage HR Reviews

Nicole
Nicole
  • Industry: Human Resources

Reviewed on 09/05/2023

Sage HR

Making life easier for clients by streamlining their processes & showing them what is available in Sage that they never knew of before.

Pros

With employees having their own access to payslips, and leave requests it's save me time having to reprint or follow up on whether leave is approved or not as well as easy processing into payroll. It's also easy to follow up if need be as i can quickly view the Org Chart and see who reports to who.

Cons

None, i would like more training on the product though

Robert

Reviewed on 10/06/2019

Cake HR - Solid Technology

Pros

Its simple, does what it says it will do. Personally I like how it syncs with the calendar.

Cons

I took a week off during easter. We have down on it a company day on Good Friday and Bank Holiday on the Monday. Both days were taken from Annual leave.

HRLocker

Reasons for Switching to Sage HR

Just made sense for us at the time for reasons mentioned above. I can't even remember if there was a difference in price. But it was close and would urge others to look at it also.

Response from Sage

Dear Robert,

Thank you very much for reaching out!
I'll contact you directly, to go through Leave management once again, as mentioned issue can be resolved, a few clicks is all it takes :)

Antonio
  • Industry: Chemicals

Reviewed on 06/09/2020

Looks great and offer many modules and but the functionality of most of them is very basic.

Certainly cakeHR solves part of the management of my company's talent department, but it is still far from being a suitable software for companies with more than 50 employees.

Changing any software in a large organization is complicated and I believe that CakeHR has a great potential to be exploited, so I still hope that they will listen to the users' suggestions and implement the requested functionalities.

It would be a good thing if they published the roadmap so that we could know how they are going to develop the product.

Pros

The user interface of the web application is nice. It is easy to use by employees for absence requests.

The calendar view is very convenient to see at a glance the planned absences.

The talent department likes the performance module.

Cons

General: The administration of the system is difficult. It is not prepared for companies with more than 50 employees because any type of grouping has to be done employee by employee, among other thigs.

Support: It is disconcerting, sometimes responding quickly and providing some solution, but most of the time, besides responding late, it gives the feeling of unprofessionalism.

Interface: Apparently it is nice, but there are some views, such as the user profile management, where they are limited to show in a single column each one of the fields, which makes very uncomfortable the information visualization.

Document management: It is extremely basic and not very efficient. It becomes chaotic.

Absences: It more or less works well, although as always, with little flexibility, burdening the talent department with avoidable tasks.

Expenses: The same, very basic implementation. For us to be able to use it in my company a couple of additional fields are needed (name and VAT number of the provider) which they promised to add before the second quarter of 2019 but have not yet done so. In general there are few updates. I feel that they were adding new features more frequently at the beginning of the year.

Mobile application: It is very basic, almost no functionality. You can't clock in/out from the app, which is essential these days for employees who move around. From support I was told to access the web application from a mobile browser...

API: Very basic and incomplete.

Top Sage HR Alternatives

Ayush
Ayush
  • Industry: Staffing & Recruiting

Reviewed on 28/01/2023

Very simple tool for employee management

Sage HR services including timesheets, core HR, performance, shift scheduling and leave management handle all difficulties in a single window. Provides a scalable and simple platform for staff time management, removing the need to instal antiquated management on-premise software. Similarly, initiatives developed in response to feedback session objectives assist us in making our attempts to improve visible.

Pros

When it comes to personnel management, it works flawlessly. It does an excellent job in this regard. Employees can use this service to request time off, vacations, and sick days. It's also great for sharing documentation. It is simple to grasp, modular, and adaptable. Because it is based on the cloud, it is also efficient and scalable. It is particularly developed to turn potential into an advantage for small and medium-sized businesses.

Cons

Though the user interface could be much better, allowing for a more seamless user experience. It is customisable, but the basic remains the same for everyone. It is currently not able to add two events on the same day, and some work is required to fulfil international rules and requirements for multinational corporations.

Dominique
Dominique

Reviewed on 27/02/2023

sage HR management system

Pros

Perfect total HR Recrutement, applican tracking and management. The software is available to evaluate the ongoing employee performances.The software can set leave management, time shift management. Feedback to customer service is quickly handle and the problem is solved. The software have the mobile version son the admin cans set the tool where ever he is.

Cons

The software is a cloud base system thaugh work online, to be constantly collecting dada and updating.

Lacey
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Reviewed on 06/04/2023

Works if your company is in a bind

Pros

I liked the announcement section and the company view to see the employees as you are able to see them by face and name and not just a list.

Cons

It was hard to set up correctly and the customer service was awful and not very helpful and since I'm in the U.S and they are in the U.K they always seemed to be gone. For instance i needed some help at 1pm on a Thursday and the response message was we are closed but someone will get back to you Monday. Only through the chat bot on the screen, there is no number to call and if you do you get the "other" sage companies who transfer you around to everyone until you reach someone who says call this number and you end up calling Canada who says "umm you have the wrong number"

Jessica
  • Industry: Logistics & Supply Chain

Reviewed on 09/10/2023

Sage HR

I think Sage HR is a great tool. It is easy to use and does exactly what we need it to.

Pros

Sage HR is really good for keeping track of my employees sickness/holiday and out of office. This is important for scheduling payment runs. It is easy to see where all of the staff in the business are.

Cons

I dont think there is anything I can think of that I can write as a negative for this product. It is a very useful tool.

Rachel
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Reviewed on 28/04/2023

Convenient for All Time Keeping

Pros

Everything is in one place. You can keep track of your work time and also request time off. You can also see and print any and all paystubs from the beginning of employment.

Cons

I do wish it was a bit easier to print things from sage.

Nereida
Nereida

Reviewed on 30/04/2018

Management of employee permits and other human resources tasks.

A big problem that I have been able to solve with CakeHR is that I receive email notifications of employees' free time requests and approve or reject them by the same email. This has made things easier for me.

Pros

What I like most when using CakeHR is the ease of registration and access; the function "history of changes made" to facilitate the tracking of changes in the data is very good; and when generating reports with a single click is wonderful.

Cons

A big disadvantage of CakeHR is that it integrates with payroll systems, but not with benefit portals or learning management systems. We are waiting for you to integrate all this.

Shanice
  • Industry: Events Services

Reviewed on 11/09/2023

Review 2023

Overall my experience with Sage HR has been positive

Pros

I like that sage HR is accessible on my mobile device, so that it is easy for me to view my pay slip, and book annual leave off

Cons

nothing major comes to mind when thinking about what i least like. The only thing i can think of is the dashboard visually is overwhelming and could be a lot simpler

Craig
  • Industry: Furniture

Reviewed on 11/06/2019

Great software with a great team behind it

We solve the complexity of holidays clashing with Cake HR. It's a a core part of our business that every employee uses.

Pros

I love how simple it is for our team to request holidays and to monitor sick days also. The interface is nice too.

Cons

The app is a bit limited and it would be helpful if it offered a full calendar view.

BambooHR

Reasons for Choosing Sage HR

More features

BambooHR

Reasons for Switching to Sage HR

No mortgage required for Cake HR

Response from Sage

Many thanks, Craig!

In case you feel that you have any other feature suggestions you want to share with us, please make sure to post them through your app or profile, green box at the bottom of right corner :)

Best regards,

Anna
  • Industry: Commercial Real Estate

Reviewed on 27/06/2019

Cake is great for small companies

Overall we are happy and will continue to use Cake for hopefully many more years. We hope our requestes will be taken to development

Pros

It was very easy to setup
it´s quiet user friendly
it allows some automations vie receipts
price is based on users

Cons

as we grow very fast our needs change, even tough the cake team did implement a few changes to also accommodate our needs some are not satisfied yet:
option to choose a worktime pattern when adding new user
complex leave policy setup with formula for holiday allowance based on i.e. (age, number of children etc.)

Response from Sage

Dear Anna,

Many thanks for your honest feedback!
I just wanted to mention that there is automation available for some other tools except recipes. Let's get in touch to discuss our further cooperation and make sure you're making the most out of your subscription with us.

Replied 02/07/2019
  • Industry: Hospitality

Reviewed on 11/06/2019

User friendly HR app - highly recommend!

Overall, an amazing experience.

I did a bit of research as to what CakeHR can do, and when I approached the supporting team, they are very accommodating and patient in regards to the questions I have.

Customer service is definitely one of the things that stood out to me, how responsive and helpful the team is - shout out to customer service who has been helping me along the way!

Pros

How easy it is to get a hang of using the app, which also makes it easier for us as a company to onboard members and encourage them to utilise the app accordingly.

There are a lot of functions to play around, and I find 90% of the functions applicable to the company, and would be applicable to other companies too.

Makes keeping track of employee's goals and tasks easier than ever, with notifications sent to certain individuals frequently yet not too much that they would consider it as spam.

Cons

Wish there could have more functions to track the personal development of employee(s), like having a roadmap or letting them see what is the next step for them to advance to.

Response from Sage

Thanks a lot for such kind words, we really appreciate your feedback!
If I understand you correctly, you are already using CakeHR Performance module. However, due to the reason that we are constantly updating our existing features, it would be great to arrange a quick call, to make sure you are getting the most out of your experience. Please get back to me, so we can agree on a time and date :)

Olga

Reviewed on 07/08/2018

The Potential of the CakeHR

The CakeHR, although with some issues, has quite the potential, especially if the developers continue improving and updating it. Not to mention that it is cheap in comparison to, for example, same BambooHR and it also fulfills pretty much all the needed options.
I was pleasantly surprised with the customer support that I was provided while working with this software: if you have any questions or issues - the support team will always answer you within a day and try their best to adjust the software's settings to your liking and if you still have any further questions - they will arrange a meeting to help you solve the problem.
The CakeHR is especially convenient for those companies that are functioning within one country. However, even if the company has several branches located in several countries it is still not a problem. Although it can be a bit confusing at first with all these access levels and settings that you will have to think about - with the right tags and teams you will manage it just fine.

Pros

The Cake is very convenient for employees in terms of usage: it is simple, understandable, and solves the problem with the time-off policies' usage tracking.

Cons

There were quite a few issues that weren't particularly to my liking; however, after mentioning them to the CakeHR support team - they were quickly fixed and changed in the way we wanted them to. Still, there is one thing that I think needs an improvement.

As of now, when you want to upload the documents - you cannot filter/restrict them by location or the team. You can either upload it for everyone within the company to see it or upload it individually. As you might have already realized from that - if you want only one department or only one country's branch to see a certain document - you will have to upload it individually every time.

Response from Sage

Hi Olga, thank you so much for taking time to submit your feedback. More options for documents share is due to be in production next week - so watch this space! :)

Replied 08/08/2018

Reviewed on 05/07/2019

Solid HR Management Tool

Have really loved using this across a distributed team while still giving us the feeling of being connected, cohesive, and consistent across the board.

Pros

Loved using this for onboarding as it made the process seamless, especially with the app. The perfect option for growing teams who want a consistent employee experience across the board (form onboarding, to reviews, benefits, etc.) it all lives in one place and makes it so easy to access.

Cons

The only thing that would be nice to change is the ability to be more specific with requesting an exact number of hours so you can be more specific with your request for time off.

Response from Sage

Hello,

We really appreciate you taking the time out to share your experience! I'd love to help you out with those additional specific fields that actually can be added to time-off policies, therefore please contact me directly or use a Chatbot in the right bottom of the CakeHR screen.

I look forward to hearing from you :)

Replied 15/07/2019
Natasha
  • Industry: Events Services

Reviewed on 04/08/2017

Cake HR has removed the headache of having to keep track of each team member's time off...

The software nearly runs by itself - as long as each user is trained properly. This allows the Administrators to focus on other important tasks.

Pros

I like the ability to create custom time-off fields for employees and being able to see everyone's future time-off requests for planning purposes. The "reporting" is very helpful for managers to use during our annual performance review process. Being able to color code the time-off fields makes the platform attractive on both desktop and mobile. I love being able to store HR-related documents for easy access. The entire platform has made our HR processes more efficient. LOVE, LOVE , LOVE!! :)

Cons

As an administrator/manager of the software, I find it difficult to navigate on my Android phone. I don't like being limited to this as I sometimes have to approve individual "time off" requests in the absence of the company President and when I am away from the office.

Response from Sage

Natasha! Thanks!

It sounds like you're all set to go!
I hope our recent update to the mobile has benefited you in terms of user ability. We want to make sure that you are efficient even when on-the-go.

Amanda

Reviewed on 02/11/2016

CakeHR make PTO sweet and simple

Working with CakeHR has been a dream! There interface is incredibly user-friendly and makes managing our PTO policies a breeze. Managers love being able to accept/deny requests directly via the email notifications, and our employees love having quick access to submit time on the mobile app.

CakeHR is well thought out and designed, but our company has a few needs that CAKE does not directly meet. However, their support team is absolutely tremendous! They respond very quickly despite the time zone difference, they are always asking and open to our requests for features, and they immediately jump on any issues we encounter and resolve them with flying colors!

Finally, we love the integrations with other apps and our IT guys love being able to use their API to sync employee data to our internal company pages, simplifying PTO for our employees even more.

Pros

Credit/debit of days
Set auto increase of allotment based on employee hire date
Documents Section to store all our onboarding/benefits info
Being able to edit/enter time off that has occurred in the past

Cons

Would like to see more detailed customization such as:
View my PTO balance as days remaining for year vs. days accrued thus far
For PTO less than a full day, it would be nice to enter the exact time the employee wiht be out of the office.
More control over notifications for Admin level users.

Response from Sage

Hi Amanda!

Many thanks for your honest review :)
We're about to release an employee Scheduling feature that will allow all employees to see full attendance lists of employees.

I'll make sure your introduced and set up for this module!

Rachel

Reviewed on 30/10/2015

Impressive, no fuss, tidy little package.

I've been trailing CakeHR for two days. Below is my experience so far.

What I really love:
1. In the cloud. We're a cloud based company ourselves so this is a massive plus for me.
2. Nice friendly UI. Easy on the eye, logical flow, nice modals, profile pictures for team members.
3. Can add additional Time-Off Policies other than Holiday & Sickday.
4. Can add Public Holidays that don't count as team holidays taken.
5. Can add Black Out days where no one can book holidays on certain dates.
6. Ability to hide certain tabs from team members like Benefits, Documents, Emergency etc.
7. Can hide calendar from other team members so they can't see who's on holiday etc.
8. Can add categories to Documents.
9. Lots of reporting! Bradford Factor & Employee Growth is a nice touch.
10. Can create teams, support team, dev team etc.
11. Ability for team member to log in and submit holiday requests. This isn't something I've enabled yet as I'm still trying out CakeHR however I can definitely see the benefits of this - less emails & notes!

I'm not calling this list 'Cons' as I don't have any cons. The below points are suggestions:

1. I had to add each Black Out day individually. We have a 6 week period where no one can take holidays. Would be nice to have a start and end date ability here.
2. An app. How cool would it be to have a CakeHR app that you can approve/decline requests on the spot & see who's available on your team that day. I know I'd use it! Android of course ;)

I really love CakeHR's approach to time off management and would recommend to anyone with no hesitation.

Response from Sage

Hi Rachel!

What an intense two days of trialling you had! The feedback is awesome and you know that we have been able to address your "nice to have" list at the bottom. It is feedback like this this really... feeds us!

We have the Android app releases imminently! I will let you and VSware have first-look at the app!

Replied 01/02/2016
Will

Reviewed on 30/05/2019

Great PTO Scheduling & Tracking

Being able to submit a request for time off easily from my phone through the app, have it notify the correct people within our organization to give approval, and then notifying me when the approval is made has greatly simplified PTO tracking for me. I can easily how much time I’ve used, how much I have left, and view a calendar with my scheduled time off as well as others within my team. CakeHR has many other features that I don’t personally use but could see being very useful to others.

Pros

CakeHR lets me to submit requests for vacations, be notified when they’re approved, as well as see when others on my team will be out making it easier to plan for time off.

Cons

The web interface was a little messy but they’ve mostly fixed this now and cleaned it up. I usually use the mobile app anyway which has always had a clean interface.

Response from Sage

Dear Will,

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and feedback with us. We are happy to hear that CakeHR makes your daily routine a little bit easier. Just wanted to point out that there is possibility to organize your dashboard, enable/disable or customize some of the fields the way it addresses your needs.

I would love to schedule a quick call to discuss some hints & tips - let's stay in touch :)

Best regards,

Replied 12/06/2019
  • Industry: Wholesale

Reviewed on 18/06/2019

So easy

We track holidays by anniversary date. Before CakeHR it was a daunting task to keep track of everyone's entitled time. Now we don't have to worry at all.

Pros

This software is easy to learn, easy to use and great for tracking holidays, sick time, appointments, training etc..

Cons

Time off per individual should be the first page or we should be able to customize our views.

Response from Sage

Dear Sarah,

I very much appreciate your feedback :)
It's actually possible to customize your dashboard, add or delete information blocks based on your preference and needs. I'll contact you directly and will show you how it's done!

Replied 21/06/2019
Mohammad
  • Used for 2+ years

Reviewed on 20/08/2017

Fantastic easy to use leave management software.

Our previous leave management was managed using spreadsheets and this has made things a lot easier.

Pros

Very easy for staff to be able to request time off and for managers to approve these requests. The interface is laid out well and is very easy to use for both management and staff alike.

Cons

The app has limited functionality, there is no option to facilitate scheduling and rotas for staff members, it is not possible to define different hours on a weekend (each day worked is assumed to be the same number of hours). There has also been an issue that i believe remained unfixed where the annual leave year commences on the same day as a public holiday. It throws the whole system off.

Response from Sage

Hi Mohamed,

We've wanted to impress you for a long time and I know it has been a long time coming but our developers have been working hard and we¿e finally ready to show you our full-blown Scheduling module for CakeHR.

I'll set up a call to take you through the product and you can then schedule your staff with ease!

Melissa

Reviewed on 09/12/2022

Good product

Really great experience overall, have zero complaints

Pros

The ease of use, easy to input information and navigate through the software, it took abit of getting use to but after that was perfect

Cons

It takes some getting used to, but once you get the hang of it, nothing negative to say. I would just say spend time learning and playing through the system for easier faster use

Shasta

Reviewed on 27/04/2018

quite intuitive and the basics are good but lacking in reports, visuals and integrations

organizing our employee data, analyses basic reporting tools

Pros

it can house the basics of HR reporting, quite intuitive when you use it, support team takes time but they are generally very helpful and really helps to resolve cases

Cons

support team replies on time and sometimes takes time due to time difference, Lack of detailed reports, downloading of all employee basic info, data integrations to other platforms, further customization and visualisations of org chart and reports could be made better

Response from Sage

Hi Shasta, thank you for the review! :)

There are many different options for you to extract reports with customised data as well as customise the visualisation of dashboard, and I will be happy to lead you through to find the right solution for you. I will be in touch with you directly to chat more specifically and answer all your questions.

Ilona Kalnina
Customer Success Manager @ CakeHR

Replied 07/05/2018
Alina

Reviewed on 16/08/2017

CakeHR is pleasant and hopefully it will be developed further.

ToDo -lists and deadlines (e.g. Onboarding and offboarding activities are now under control.)
Directories and archives (e.g. company assets and documentation)

Pros

I like especially the look and feel of the software and that it works quite intuitively. Also, the dashboards are great.

Cons

It would be great if one could configurate it a little bit more. For example the holiday practices. And the user rights, e.g. so that all users could see each others' work contact details.
Also, it would be great to have a personal training section for each member of the personnel.

Response from Sage

Thanks, Alina!

We're currently building a training section of CakeHR so you can keep track of certificates, documents and much more year on year!

Using the Android or iOS mobile app for CakeHR, your employees can view the company's directory along with employee work contact information.

Ross

Reviewed on 04/10/2019

Great product for anything HR related

Overall great product which simplifies HR processes within the organisation.

Pros

The versatility of the product is great, from quarterly reviews, asset tracking, leave management and more.
We deployed this at a client that was looking for a hosted HR product and CakeHR was the perfect fit.

Cons

More flexibility on leave setups would be good, like the ability to have certain leave days renew every 3 years and expire.

Response from Sage

Dear Ross,

Thank you very much for your time and review! Do not hesitate to contact me directly to share any additional ideas, suggestions, your feedback really matters :)

Replied 14/10/2019