OpenTable Reviews

About OpenTable

OpenTable helps restaurants do what they do best—better. Whether restaurant owners want to fill more seats, run smoother shifts, build guest relationships, or earn more revenue, OpenTable has easy-to-use solutions. Customers...

Browse OpenTable Reviews

1,280 of 1,280 reviews
paulina
paulina

Reviewed on 25/05/2020

Quick reservation with no need to call

Easy and convenient. Painless way to make a quick restaurant reservations without being put on hold or talking to a person. Can view manu and everything there is to know about restaurant I'm looking at online.

Pros

I have been using open table on both sides. I use it to make my personal restaurant reservations and I use it at the restaurant I work for as a server.
I love that when I view restaurants and want to make a reservation about 70% of total restaurants have open table. Its quick and painless way to make a reservation without being put on hold by a hostess..sometimes for very very long time. It give you chose of time and you can read all about the place you looking at. It shows you :hours, Entertainment, menu, you see photos that costumers posted, you see map of location, even who the chef is. Making reservation takes less then 10 seconds!!!! Fast and confident. As a worker it's very easy to operate system. Brainless I would say. I like that I can make notes for each reservation. Such a sever request or allergy.

Cons

For my personal use I never had an issue. As me working with open table every here and then reservations are not showing on my side as hostess/server. I had few angry guest. Will never know if that was a costumer fult or open table system fult for not processing reservation.

Kelly
Kelly

Reviewed on 10/06/2020

A great reservations software for restaurants

Everything about OpenTable for Restaurants was an experience worth remembering. I never found myself getting lost or hung up on a problem with the software and creating reservations for the guests frequenting the restaurant. It did such a fantastic job with estimating the time that a table will be sitting to eat, depending on their party size, and adjust the schedule based on this. There would be reminders and notes when this would be approaching so I could let the customers know in advance so they didn’t have to come in and get upset. It allowed us to be able to go above and beyond to ensure our guests had the four star experience they were paying for.

Pros

Where to start when it comes to the best features of the OpenTable software. First and foremost, it is incredibly simple to pick up how to use it after only a few reservations have been made, it’s that great of a system. As a front of the house team member, it allowed me to view the entire floor plan of the restaurant on screen in a visual way that made the most sense to me, which made making reservations that much easier. When it came time to create the reservation, it was a matter of clicking on the proper icon from either a view of the floor plan or a view of the timeline. You are shown an overall view of the guests names and their party size as well as given an estimated time their party will likely be sat given their past visits to the restaurant and based of the average time of a party that size.

Cons

The software version I used has since been updated several times and I’m sure anything that was missing then has been added by now. As a user for multiple years, I strongly believe that there was hardly anything I can think of that was wrong with OpenTable. It helped me complete my job efficiently and all the guests seemed to enjoy their process of using it as well.

Brian

Reviewed on 23/04/2024

Joined for free during a covid deal

Unfortunately I feel like it's mandatory now. But I long for the days before covid when we purposefully DIDN'T take reservations.

Pros

I liked that it was free for a while. It was essential when we had only 5 tables during covid mandatory outdoor dining.

Cons

You get used to having it, you customers get used to having it, and then the price seems exorbitant.

Top OpenTable Alternatives

Wendy

Reviewed on 23/04/2024

OpenTable did more harm than good

It was terrible. Our issues were never reserved which created massive problems for us

Pros

It offered a reservation system that we wanted to use to manage seating.

Cons

It was never accurate. Our times didn’t correlate to the actual reservation times. Customers reservations were not populating on our side. It was a disaster and I would like to get the money wasted back

Resy OS
Gladys

Reviewed on 26/03/2024

"Table for two, please" has never been easier

Overall, if you're a frequent restaurant diner, you must have Open Table. There are places that will tell you there are no reservations available, but Open Table updates in real time when reservations are cancelled and will even notify you if a table opens in a booked-out restaurant you are looking to dine in. It's also great when dining with a group, because you can filter by cuisines, group size, distance and other factors.

Pros

I like being able to have options by simply using my location to find restaurants near me that have open tables for my group size. No more going from place to place, waiting for a table. I also like the reminders that come via text and the ability to add the reservation to my Google Calendar.

Cons

They have a rewards program, but the app makes it unclear as to how to qualify or what the qualifiers are to earn rewards, but it sends you a notification on each reservation that you didn't earn them. It's really confusing, because the reminder that you're not earning rewards should then include instructions on how to do so.

Christian

Reviewed on 22/04/2024

Great product

Pros

Ease and the customer facing ability to get your restaurant reservations.

Cons

It should have a profile for restaurants that are not on it to really show the maximum dining options

shalva

Very good stuff

Pros

Reliability and exposure to guests and clients

Cons

I likve evrything no cons

Aria

Reviewed on 19/04/2024

Love it when I see that a restaurant uses OpenTable

Pros

Ease of reservations, text reminders are amazing. You can modify or cancel on your own as well.

Cons

Can be annoying to navigate on your phone

Savannah
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Reviewed on 06/06/2024

Easiest way to make a reservation

Pros

I love that I don't have to call into a restaurant. Instead, I can make a reservation conveniently from my phone at any time and ensure that we are correctly in the restaurant's system. I can even leave notes for the owner.

Cons

There have been times where it doesn't allow for us to make a reservation but there is indeed capacity at the restaurant. I think this is more of an error on the restaurant's end.

Jacqueline
  • Industry: Law Practice
  • Used Monthly for 2+ years

Reviewed on 19/04/2024

Great Option for Reservation Making

Pros

The application is very easy to use and gives instant awareness of what is available.

Cons

Nothing negative about Open Table. I wish all restaurants used it.

Aron

Reviewed on 22/08/2019

A great tool for restaurant

We have used them for years and would highly recommend them to small, non-corporate restaurants trying to be seen amongst so many local restaurants.

Pros

Easy for our guests to make reservations, tracks guests visits, you can enter guest notes and historical data to make their next visit more meaningful. They often have "Top Ten" lists for the categories that guests vote you in that you can use for marketing purposes. Reviews on Open Table are considered 'legit' as only real diners can write reviews.

Cons

If you have more money to spend, a program like SevenRooms has more guest tracking data capabilities for tagging and targeted emails/marketing. Can get expensive if your guests often use Open Table to make reservations.

SevenRooms

Reasons for Switching to OpenTable

If we had more money to spend, we would move to SevenRooms, but it is vastly more expensive so we won't be making the switch anytime soon.

Response from OpenTable

Hi Aron, thanks for taking the time to write a review! We really appreciate your recommendation. We are now able to offer very sophisticated CRM capabilities through Venga. You can learn more here: https://restaurant.opentable.com/products/venga

Replied 05/09/2019
Kimberly
  • Industry: Industrial Automation

Reviewed on 18/10/2022

OpenTable is Imperative in this Day & Age

I find that OpenTable is a very good option for reservations and that my notes for special instructions are always followed. I also love the reward system. It is fun to build up points and receive Amazon gift cards after so many points are earned. It is also cool that they have the menus available to peruse before you arrive as well as special "experience" options that you can choose at some of the restaurants.

Pros

It is user-friendly, the calendar option is great, and the ability to invite guests is fantastic. I use OpenTable almost every day. I travel for work and use OpenTable to book all of my lunch and dinner meetings for my clients when possible. I love the rewards program, receiving Amazon gift cards every so often is always fun. I also really enjoy learning about new restaurants in the area I live in and in the towns, I am visiting for work or on vacation. The "experience" option is also fun and tells you a little bit more about each restaurant as you make your reservation.

Cons

The only two complaints that I have is that some restaurants pull open seating on certain days and that all restaurants so not participate in Open table.

Nichole

Reviewed on 10/12/2017

Open Table/ Dirty Table

Pros

The ease of access of this app is too good for words. If everyone is sufficiently trained, and staff members are on their A game, this is app is quite helpful and useful. It allows all members of staff to update the POS system in order to communicate quickly what status a table is at. It is also helpful with assigning tables to certain parties and deciding upon wait times. For the Hostess, this system is great all all hosts should learn this program at some point in their career. I would only say that it is harder to expect a server to stay on top of updating the system for the hosts throughout their steps of service.

Cons

While the overall application is easy to use and very informative, it does tend to send some mixed signals between servers and hosts if not used properly. The app shows table layout on the screen that allows the user to see which tables have guests, which tables are empty but need to be bussed, and which tables are ready for new guests to be seated. The problem here is that unless a server has time between taking care of her other guests to run to a POS station to inform a hostess that a table is dirty and then find time 5-10 minutes later to see if her buster has cleaned the table and then update the table through the system, clean tables are forgotten and wait times are lengthened due to miscommunications. The structure itself is easy to use, however it seems to add

Reviewed on 13/02/2019

Great to make online reservations

Overall OpenTable is a great tool to make online reservations; however, I do feel that they need to make some improvements especially regarding the reward program to make it more appealing.

Pros

I use OpenTable almost on a daily basis to make reservations for both business and personal lunches or dinners. It is very easy to use and you can book a table at a restaurant within minutes. I like that you can search restaurants by neighborhood but also by cuisine and price range. It is also very easy to cancel or modify a reservation. The app is also very convenient for any on the go need.

Cons

Their reward program is not appealing. The VIP status doesn't grant you anything. I wish they would design a program where VIP members get preferred seating, timing etc. Moreover, after you collect a certain amount of points, you get a voucher towards a future reservation; however I noticed that the selection of restaurants that accept the voucher is extremely limited. Additionally, not all restaurants are listed on OpenTable, which sometimes is not ideal

Rohan

Reviewed on 10/03/2022

Great way to manage restaurant reservations!

Pros

Very easy platform to use to find and book restaurants. You can search for restaurants by cuisines, location and availability and once you have made a booking you can also easily modify the booking by following the link in the email.

If you make a booking and don’t turn up they also send you an email to ask you to cancel if you cannot make it so that small businesses are not impacted by people not Turing up for their reservations. All in all a very easy to use product and this is the only software I use to book restaurants in my city. Shame it is not available more widely across other countries!

Cons

I can’t think of any cons except sometimes, it’s possible that some slots that are cancelled are not always available on open table but I suspect that is got more to do with restaurant updating their availability rather than open table

ilysse

Reviewed on 10/11/2020

Great for Reservations Online

OpenTable allows our clients to manage their own reservation systems.

Pros

As a website agency, OpenTable has been great to embed on our clients' websites to allow customers to make online reservations.

Cons

There aren't a ton of options in terms of styling the different widgets and browser testing for online reservations.

Yelp Guest Manager

Reasons for Switching to OpenTable

The reviews were better
Eric R.
Eric R.
  • Industry: Research

Reviewed on 13/01/2022

OpenTable is great when it is properly configured, but hides too many useful tools

Pros

When OpenTable had a cleaner reservation system, it was excellent. You could book way ahead of time and they had a points-based system that earned you rewards. Sometime a few years back, they lost a lot of their functionality and they seemed to lose their ability to book a lot of restaurants they'd previously had. The rewards system was a big part of my regular use, so I stopped using them as often as a result.

Cons

When there is a reservation option on the listing for a restaurant, it is kind of hidden. This makes very little sense.

Natalie

Reviewed on 09/04/2021

Excellent way to stay on the same page and unburden your hosts

Open table was a HUGE burden off our hosts, helped our servers step in as hosts easily since they could see who was next/what was open, really incredible way to get reservations and minimize phone calls. Love that customers enter their own details-- too many times we've had hosts mishear phone numbers or misunderstand dates.

Pros

Ability to text those on the waitlist at the click of a button, how customizable table setup can be to make it look exactly like our multi-floor restaurant layout, ease of customizing server profiles/keeping track of who's next in rotation automatically. Keeps record of heads per each table sat so keeps servers satisfied they aren't being jipped

Cons

Only allows 3 texts per guest-- not ideal for busy brunch spots. Does not send alerts to us when cancellations are made so often having to constantly check and re-check to make sure we aren't saving tables for nothing

Lauren

Reviewed on 23/07/2019

OpenTable Kept Our Guests and Staff Happy

Overall, OpenTable provided my restaurant with the ability to track guest who dined at our restaurant. It made the experience smoother for our FOH staff, especially our FOH manager and hostess.

Pros

The best thing about OpenTable is you're able to see who will be coming to your restaurant in advance. I don't necessarily mean each day (although that was great too!), but in the days prior. We were able to staff the restaurant accordingly by how many guests we were expecting. The interface was smooth and reliable on both our end and that of our guests.

Cons

There weren't many flaws with OpenTable. We had times when it wasn't updating in real time, but that may have been due to our internet capability.

Danielle
  • Used Monthly for 2+ years

Reviewed on 16/07/2020

Easy yet extremely professional app.

Brilliant. Whenever I got stuck (when first using the app years ago), customer service was easy to reach and the restaurants respond well in conduction with the app and bookings themselves. 21st century, we are results orientated.

Pros

This app is a time saving god send! It helps you find the perfect table in a restaurant suited to both your food requirements and area and then allows you a smooth and QUICK process to book. I absolutely love how effortless this app allows a laborious job of finding a table for whatever the occasion is and then sets up your invites to the fellows you intend to dine with. It looks incredibly professional if this is aimed at a Buisness meeting or super cute if its a first date! All details of time, date and address is automatically added to your calendar once recipient accepts. Perfect.

Cons

I have experienced on a small amount of occasions where I loved the look of a restaurant or table and then when 1/2 through the booking process it may turn out there are limited availability and/or none. This is normal I guess for hot spots and weekends. Book earlier if it is a special event. The bright side of it is if a table is released as a result of cancellations, you'll be notified if those specifics are turned on, on your personal account with the app. Not much to fault, it is easy and accessible.

Christopher
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Reviewed on 20/03/2020

Fast and Easy to Use... Rating System is Terrible...

OpenTable is Easy to Use, however they must revamp their rating system and ensure updated menus for potential guests to view.

Pros

This Application is very Easy to Use, gives valuable information, and makes making reservations at dining establishments very easy. Like reading menus and ratings about dining establishments via this application.

Cons

The rating system is very hard to understand... It seems as though negative ratings weigh much more than positive ones. The application has to stay in contact with dining establishments to make sure menus on the website stay updated. Menus are outdated constantly.

Charles
  • Used for 6-12 months

Reviewed on 08/09/2020

An expensive but ultimately necessary platform

Once you are able to get past the frustration around cost, it quickly becomes apparent just how powerful of a tool OpenTable is. It is necessary for any restaurant serious about attracting new customers and while there are competitors, I have not found any that can match the compatibility of their integration tools, nor one that has anywhere near the number of customers using the service. It is a must have.

Pros

The software itself is very easy to use and intuitively designed. The integration directly into the restaurant POS is extremely helpful, and the compatibility appears to be nearly universal with any system you might be using. They clearly have invested in the product and the user experience, both for the proprietor and the end user.

Cons

It doesn't come cheap. The initial start up fees are reasonable in my opinion, but the ongoing fees (per head, per seated customer) add up quickly. This can be tough when your repeat/regulars are using the platform, where you know you are essentially overpaying for their business, but regardless this truly is a necessary tool for any restaurant that wants to compete for business, and customers expect that you have it. There are also not too many other competitors with the same level of integration into POS systems, at least not ones that are able to drive this much volume to the restaurant.

Whitney
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Reviewed on 14/07/2023

Time Saver

Having an online presence through open table is key. Everyone uses this platform.

Pros

Allowing guests to book online and opening up space for guests to book online is super helpful and helps bring in extra $$$.

Cons

I wish that the desktop and ipad version were the same. I wish you could block tables on the dekstop version like you do on the ipad.

Geri
  • Used for 2+ years

Reviewed on 25/02/2019

Easy Way to Make a Reservation

We have used OpenTable when booking restaurants mainly when traveling but also occasionally when dining locally. Most of the time we don't need a reservation locally which is why we don't use it more often. When using OpenTable we get a confirmation along with a reminder the day of the reservation.

Pros

Easy way to make a reservation and also earn points which can be redeemed towards dining. Many of the restaurants we have visited offer the option of reserving through OpenTable which is helpful. You can also let them know if you're celebrating a special occasion when booking your reservation.

Cons

The only thing I didn't like is that not all restaurants are available through OpenTable but I imagine that is the fault of the restaurants not signing up for the service. If the restaurant doesn't acknowledge that you showed up for your reservation you will be contacted by OpenTable to find out why. Luckily when this happened I had the receipt from the restaurant as well as photos taken there to verify we did show up.

• Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

Reviewed on 15/04/2020

Amazing way of getting more customers

Using the Guest Center from OpenTable has improved my skills when managing large operations inside a restaurant, has widened my eyes when comes to the hospitality industry.

Pros

When a restaurant is shown on Connect platform from OpenTable their customers increase so well when they book a reservation from this tool. I think OpenTable helps tourism to go further allowing low fees from the enterprises, can it be better?

Cons

The only thing I may be worried about is the fact that a reservation gets as faster as is needed. Besides that, I think OpenTable is a great company to look at.