QuickBooks Point of Sale Reviews

About QuickBooks Point of Sale

QuickBooks Point of Sale is a retail point of sale system suitable for various small businesses such as clothing and shoe stores, small franchises, sporting goods stores and gift shops. It offers inventory and customer management...

3.6

Browse QuickBooks Point of Sale Reviews

Reviewed on 05/02/2020

Best and Easiest POS

We use QuickBooks point-of-sale at work every day. It holds our inventory of over 2 million items. It’s rugged, and never let you down. Finding mistakes that your employees made is super easy, and easy to rectify. Whether you are computer savvy, or just using a computer for the first time, You’ll be able to use QuickBooks point-of-sale you’ll be able to use QuickBooks point-of-sale

Pros

I love how this point of sale is fully customizable to the customers needs. It offers everything you could want in a point of sale system. From sale orders to layaways, with QuickBooks point-of-sale you’ll be ready to sell within hours of super simple setup.

Cons

QuickBooks point-of-sale was quite costly to purchase all at once. But you only have to pay once.

Shopify

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Point of Sale

Shopify does not support gun stores
Ray
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Reviewed on 29/05/2018

QuickBooks POS - not good for Retail, but anything else maybe

I generally liked the QB POS software and what it did for us, ... but we grew out of this. Ideally this would be great for a small business that had fixed assets that didn't change and if the SBO didn't want to pour out too much money for a POS.

Pros

1) They release a new product upgrade every other year so there is no need to update your computer software every year. The upgrades are not necessary, but upgrades to provide more features.
2) Everything is backed up to a single database file on the computer; so in the event of a computer crash as long as you're backing up the QBPOS db, you can re-install the software, re-point the db file and get going again.
3) It's easy to use and navigate.
4) Does not require internet connection if the internet goes down
5) Great reports
6) A great company, with solid reputation, with a good name brand product

Cons

1) Customer support is great, but you have to pay for it. I learned to reach out to 3rd party companies for Support. that seemed more eager and
2) Does not integrate with an online store presence. For our online store each time someone purchased something online we had to update our instore inventory; and vica-versa.
3) The software upgrade is a little pricey for 1 upgrade. I remember it was affordable for an upgrade for me; and we only had 1 POS computer & 1 seat. If we had 2 computers it would have been more expensive.
4) Constantly trying to add new inventory and remove old inventory was kind of a hassle. If your business had fixed assets then ideally this would be a good solution.
5) If your computer crashed or you need to get a new computer, you would have to setup the new computer and reinstall the software on the new computer along with the help of QB POS Tech Support. While this in itself wasn't bad it was trying to schedule a time that they were open and the store wasn't open so I could fix this.

Lisa

Reviewed on 14/01/2021

bugs in the system

I am so disappointed. I have logged 50 hours on the phone with customer service since August 2020.

The engineers obviously released the new updated system too soon and my business suffers because of it. I also found that the pin pad freezes and then reverses your sale even though you think it went thru.

awful!!

Pros

I love that it is easy to use and has good reporting ability. Links well with QB Bookkeeping

Cons

I was told to upgrade from QB 12.0 to 19.0.. I have had nothing but problems. The first day we set it up there was an error and there continues to be same error message even though i have spent numerous hours on phone with customer service. I am on my 3rd pin pad and had the system uninstalled and re-installed twice. They want to do it again but I refused as they just keep trying different things instead of really figuring out what the problem is. Today I tried to process a $400 sale on applepay and was told that they have an issue with this type of payment (even though this new pin pad was supposed to take Apple pay)

They never let you know of issues. You just have to experience them and then call in.

Top QuickBooks Point of Sale Alternatives

Square Point of Sale

Square Payments

QuickBooks Desktop Pro

• Industry: Recreational Facilities & Services

Reviewed on 02/08/2023

Quickbooks Point of Sale a breeze for users

Overall, we have been very happy with our Quickbooks Point of Sale experience and receive very few user complaints about the system.

Pros

The POS interface is very user-friendly, something that is important when you have users who are not computer savvy. The ability to run either a single register or multiple in a networked environment was essential for our needs. The pre-built reports are very good and offer the ability to filter/search when needed.

Cons

We run the on-prem version as their cloud-based version does not offer all the features we need. Because of this, user management within the system is difficult if you are managing multiple locations. POS clients will sometimes have trouble seeing the POS server, resulting in us having to write batch files that allow the end-users to restart the POS server services when needed.

Weldon
Weldon

Reviewed on 14/07/2018

D cent POS software for the money but definitely could be better.

It runs my business

Pros

Seamless integration with Quickbooks and fairly simple setup as well as fairly inexpensive software are the best features.

Cons

Poor search features in make a sale and goofy differences between make a sale and sales order screens make it obvious that this is somewhat of an afterthought for QuickBooks.

Response from Intuit

Happy Tuesday, Weldon. We love hearing about how we can improve the product, and interface suggestions are always very much appreciated. I'd be glad to pass your feedback along to the engineers directly, as they frequently review customer feedback when developing new features/enhancements. When you get a bit of downtime, please send your ideas to me in an email ([email protected]). I'll forward them on your behalf, and will keep a lookout for your message.

In the meantime, I encourage you to explore the Point of Sale Resource Center at https://quickbooks.intuit.com/point-of-sale/customer-resource-center/. There you'll find expert advice, articles, and workflow tips on the small business fundamentals, with a focus on the Point of Sale product.

Until we chat again, wishing you all the best!

Jess, The QuickBooks Team

Replied 17/07/2018
priscilla
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Reviewed on 05/09/2022

This pos system exceeds my needs

This program had everything that I wanted not only did it meet expectations that exceeded them and even was ahead of me in being able to navigate problems I didn't even realize I would have

Pros

They think of just about everything and they make it so easy that it almost does it itself

Cons

There's there's a lot of content so it can be a little confusing at first but once you get it going it is smooth sailing from there

Square Point of Sale

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Point of Sale

QuickBooks is the better program
Melissa
  • Industry: Automotive

Reviewed on 28/07/2023

Great point of sale program!

Pros

I love how easy QuickBooks makes their point of sale program to use. I never had any issues using the program and it could do more than I even neededed!

Cons

There is nothing I just like about QuickBooks point of sale.

Function Point

Reasons for Choosing QuickBooks Point of Sale

Looking for a cheaper option
Sandra
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Reviewed on 07/05/2018

Quickbooks POS has been helpful for organizing my small business

Pros

This product has allowed me to be more organized with my small business. I am able to keep track of my customers and the orders that they place. Also, my inventory is neatly organized and allows me to see exactly what items I have in stock and what items I need to order. I particularly like the "quick find" search option which I can use to quickly search for a specific item/client/or receipt. This option also searches through item descriptions which allows me to find exactly what I'm looking for with a few keywords. By far though, I really like how well and organized my previous sales are presented to me. I am able to see how my business is doing through various methods such as a pie chart or a graph, and using my own parameters to analyze my sales.

Cons

It does take a bit of a learning curve to fully grasp all that this POS system has to offer. It does have a tutorial and video guide to walk you step by step through all the features but you need to dedicate quite a bit of time just to learn everything. There are a lot options and a lot of ways to do each part of the POS system such as "make a sale", so it can take a while to figure out which method works best for you. Once you have learned everything, it takes a bit of practice in order to be able to do a function quickly enough to not keep clients waiting.

Reviewed on 04/09/2018

QB Point of Sale Review

DIdn't require to be online as some other versions of a POS system do require. This is a nice feature as it is a pay one time not monthly.

Pros

Easy to adapt has two different screen settings that make it easy depending on your type of retail business that allows it easy to understand. If you are not a computer expert you can still feel smart using the POS software.

Cons

Price and if you do need to call for help, since it is a QB product support time is usually longer than you want. The support call time can be a problem if you have an issue with the POS system during normal operational hours.

Lisa
  • Used for 2+ years

Reviewed on 14/04/2017

Once the only game in town

Once, one of the only games in POS. town, Intuit now has robust competition. We are seriously looking into a cloud based alternative for our store. Having said that, I will say that my most recent call to customer service was one of the best I have ever had. Maybe they are feeling some heat from the competition.

Pros

Very versatile, perhaps to a fault at times. Quite easy to learn at least initially. Integration with QuickBooks.

Cons

UI needs a serious updating. Many fine features on the software are not immediately apparent or easily accessible. This is at least partly due to the somewhat outdated and clumsy interface. We have had the desktop based version of this POS since 2003 and have had a tenuous and oftentimes rocky relationship with customer service and support. Intuit is such an enormous company that one feels like an unimportant cog in the wheel when trying to fix a problem.

William

Reviewed on 10/08/2019

AT A LOSS!

AWEFUL, I cannot imagine how you can screw up what was a great product so badly

Pros

QUICK SALE MENUS only only only only only

Cons

ALL OF THE NEW WINDOWS, I had QB POS 2009 before.

Brian

Reviewed on 27/02/2018

Great tool for business, has some irritating features.

Pros

This software can handle TONS of inventory. We have used the software for over 12 years, and now have over 15000 unique items. Each one is able to track purchasing history, selling history, even details down to the name of the customer who bought this item in march of 2005, what he paid, and what else he bought on the same ticket! We use it a lot for warranty issues, as we're able to see if someone truly bought an item from us, or if they bought it online, and are just trying to get us to fix it for free. Super useful!

Cons

Once you start, you cant stop... Well, that's probably true of any POS system. You end up with too much data to lose, so I couldn't change now even if I wanted to, not that I do. The real problem with being stuck is that you have to pay up for it. Every year, they stop supporting the version from 3 years back. I.e., in 2018 they stop supporting the 2015 version, in '19 they will stop suporting '16, etc. So, you're just fine until windows does some auto-update in the middle of the night. You come in to find out you can't run your business. So, you call support. Support tells you that your version is no longer supported, and it'll be cost per register to upgrade to the current version. Then you're good for another 2 years. We've done this for over 12 years. It's the same song and dance every time. Now I know, and I can budget for it.
All in all, it's worth every penny. I've yet to find anything else that can handle such a large selection of inventory, with so much adaptability, for the price. Just know that the price is hardly a 1-and-done thing.

Tonya

Reviewed on 05/11/2020

Quickbooks Support is Awful. Pick something else even if upfront cost is higher ( Used for 15...

We've used Quickbooks POS and Desktop for 15 years. We just recently decided to integrate credit card processing. Our "sales rep" flat out lied about the features. Once he received our payment, he would not return calls or emails. Swell!

We've upgraded to the new version 19. This process has been simply AWFUL. I have no less that 15 "case numbers". Even had our files sent to a technician. No resolution! My Staff had figured some work arounds to make the lock ups and disruptions to business less frequent.

With each call I make to support I will be "disconnected" at least 2-3 times and have to start the process all over. This includes attempts to call and use the "online support" which is worse.

After maybe an hour of ineffective support (I am being kind here), I will be referred to Level 2. They are always too busy at the time to assist, and "will call back". The call back DOES NOT HAPPEN.

I will have to call back everyday for a week and complain before Level 2 will call. I have had Level 2 "call back appointments" promise after promise of call backs. NEVER HAPPENS

These issues take away from my ability to manage my business effectively. I belong to several business groups online. I continue to say pick another POS Quickbooks is awful...just awful.

Oh and the chickens and roosters in the background when talking to support...what in the world???

I've decided to give some online reviews as well so folks that want to focus on their business make a different choice even if

Pros

Quickbooks offers one stop shopping that initially appealed to me. We use Point of Sate along with integrating into the Desktop for accounting.

Cons

Support is worse than non existent.

Integration is limited.

Features promised are proprietary and more limited that promised.

Sharni

Reviewed on 09/08/2016

Easy to use, but not easy to upgrade

Pros

Ease of use. It was simple to teach employees how to use the register side of it.

It synchronized easily to quickbooks financial once everything was mapped.

Cons

I could not upgrade past windows 7 on the machines that ran this product. It required I have a machine set up as a server. It cost me pretty much the full price of the product to add another register, or back end user. In order to update the product you had to buy it outright again. There was next to no updating of the product. I bought version 10 back in January of 2011 and until I stopped using it in August 2016 there was no updates. I had to buy the product again if I wanted an update. Customer support cost a lot extra per month, they would even charge you for calls when the problem was their fault. Many reports were limited. For instance, fields I would expect to be in a report simply were not there. For instance, the top customer report, had no way to put the email address into it. So what was the point of that report if you could not send them an email promo?

It was not stored in the cloud, so I was limited in that the product could only be used in my store. If I wanted remote access I had to use a third party computer access product to see my POS.

If you wanted integrated credit card transactions you had to use their merchant services. Their fees were higher than everyone else. I ended up saving thousands a year when I moved to another merchant processor and adding extra steps at the checkout.

Once my file got big, it would lag out loading customer/inventory information.

I ended up changing POS systems when we got another location and it was just going to cost too much to upgrade the product to cope with multiple locations.

susan

Reviewed on 07/02/2020

New version stinks!!!

My previous version was great. The newer one is not great. I actually tried to see if I could revert back to my older version but was told I cannot convert my data back!!

Pros

My previous version was amazing! That was the whole reason I trusted that the newer version would be too but it is full of bugs, quirks and much more complicated user platform. I would not have purchased if I had known it was going to be so different.

Cons

To set up inventory items, it takes twice as long and you have to click around way too much. I am having trouble training my employees on using the newer version effectively which puts most of the data entry burden on me which does not help my business! It regularly freezes up and I have to back out of they system and restart the program which is embarrassing and unprofessional when ringing up customers. Beware and do not purchase this version!!!

Murtaza
  • Industry: Restaurants

Reviewed on 10/12/2021

Quickbooks POS

Pros

We have been using this at managing our warehouse I consider QB as one of the best POS software. It does the job and doesn't disappoint in your hell-busy environment.

The inventory is managed thoroughly with Quickbooks POS the retail stores are set as clients on our POS we bill to our stores which makes it very easy to track inventory and match the in-stock at the month-end just can't imagine life without QB.

Features like user permissions access for users are very useful.

Cons

The number for support doesn't work. App crashes sometimes which needs to be resolved by deleting Entitlement files.

Tanya
  • Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

Reviewed on 22/09/2020

Best for retail not service

For retail I find its great. its easy to use to enter the items we need and get through the sale

Pros

For the retail side of the business its great for tracking inventory and sales. Ease of set was great.

Cons

We provide a lot of services and don't want to have to run information through two systems. For services this is not great. The reports don't give the right information and the information doesn't transfer to Quickbooks accounting software to provide the information as well. We can't add classes and are struggling with running invoices. This could also be in part of lack of understanding how the systems work.

Reviewed on 25/05/2018

Great software for our business needs.

Pros

It is a great software tools to not only track our business finances, but also our customers, vendors, and employees easily on 1 site.

Cons

Only 1 user can work the program at a time and then the file must be backed up each time for another use to log in. We tried the online version and did not like it so when we went back to the desktop program 5 months later, we had to back track months of data.

Patrick

Reviewed on 04/07/2018

Quickbooks POS customer support is spectacular.

Overall the software is great! The customer service makes up for the lack of explaining certain things during installation. A service rep spent hours on the phone helping repair the problem. She was wonderful. The absolute best customer service I've ever used!

Pros

Customer support from Quickbooks POS is by far my favorite thing about this software! Very helpful.

Cons

Functionality of this product was a bit hard to work out. Especially in the install process when installing Quickbooks POS Server. Explaining the server and client sides of the software better during installation process would.

Susan

Reviewed on 14/07/2017

Quickbooks POS

Pros

Simple to use, self explanatory, Easy set up- easy to talk an employee through over the phone if they need to use a new part of the system

Cons

It would help if there was a report that showed busy times of day, how many invoices per hour, -is good for staffing purposes and when looking at hourly changes-my old system had this and we used it quite alot

Reviewed on 16/04/2018

Amazing software for small businesses!

Pros

Quickbooks POS is very user friendly - it is not a complicated point of sale software that requires much thought. Easy to train a new retail sales associate on, which is great.

Cons

There can be occasional glitches we can be problematic when running credit cards or taking payments.

corey

Reviewed on 10/04/2018

the product and the service are always dependable!

great customer service!

Pros

The POS is very easy to use and navigate. Even my employees who are not super computer literate can easily use it will little to no assistance.

Cons

I would like for upgrades to be more seamless, especially if there is a cost associated with the upgrade.

Mia

Reviewed on 26/02/2018

Easy Use

Pros

Very Easy to use and love that I can export to excel. Reports are usually easy to use. I like that open invoices are lined up and clumped together

Cons

I dont like that every time I open QB it doesn't go to home page, I have to close out of everything I worked on

Ed
  • Industry: Building Materials

Reviewed on 19/07/2018

Using outdated version.

looking possibly to upgrade to V18.

Pros

Using Quickbooks Accounting, so integrates well. Feels a lot like Quickbooks Accounting so is easy to use.

Cons

We have V12, which is over five years old, and we could not get any help desk support for this older version.

Jessica
  • Industry: Automotive

Reviewed on 29/08/2017

East breezy

Pros

Simple layout and practacal functionality , very simple to use for beginers but has everything an experienced user would want .

Cons

Only thing i would weant to change is to have more custom options , not to many things asaid from thaty i would change