About NextGen Healthcare

NextGen Healthcare offers NextGen Office—a cloud-based EHR – specifically designed for private practices. NextGen Office is a fully integrated practice management solution that includes specialty-specific content, a claims...

Browse NextGen Healthcare Reviews

1,195 of 1,195 reviews
Jeff K. Jeff K.
  • Industry: Entertainment
  • Used for 2+ years

Reviewed on 09/06/2020

NextGen Healthcare-Still a leader in Patient/Physician communication

This was a Premiere Patient and Physician portal many years ago and worked so smoothly. I did live in another state, but happily when researching my info for older records, this Portal was still there and had all I needed. I did not pursue moving items to another portal that some of my doctors use today since they seems to be on an ever evolving and ever revolving system of chaos on some of the models being implemented currently. This wasn't broken, so I wish it had stayed for many other people. But a refreshing relief to still find it and get to use it. It may be working in other parts of the world and in those places I hope that the users feels as good as I do about it.

Pros

I needed to find some older records from another place and time. My portal still was available from 2014 and I had many and virtually all options available to me despite being in other Physician based web portals over the years. Beyond Helpful.

Cons

I only dislike that it is phased out in many common places and dominated by more complex systems. I experienced this issue recently at a physicians office.

June L. June L.

Reviewed on 01/09/2021

9 Years with NextGen

NextGen is a robust EHR that seems to offers solutions for all aspects of medical documentation including Practice Management for patient scheduling and billing. They are excellent with keeping up to date with the Regulatory, Prescribing, and Meaningful Use aspects that are required. There are calls and news letters to keep the clients informed of any upcoming changes or updates. No EHR is perfect. All have pro's and con's. We have had the opportunity to change software in the past but after consideration we decided to stay with NextGen for many reasons including cost and meeting our needs. I would recommend this software to others!

Pros

We have been using this product for several years now. After looking at several other EMR's NextGen seems to be more user friendly than others I have seen. There is a lot of "clicking" and navigation to be done to complete a chart but it seems to be the same with all EHR's. NextGen offers recorded trainings, WebEx and onsite trainings to get the most out of the product. Support is quick to return calls when a ticket is opened for technical assistance or if you just need help with a workflow issue. We have integration/interfaces with several other products and all work really well together.

Cons

Providers would like to see "more intuitive" templates.
There are some templates that you cannot print from that would be of help, for instance the Vital Sign Graph.

Isaiah N. Isaiah N.

Reviewed on 06/08/2020

One of the best EHR Vendors around

I have had a wonderful experience with this software and it's auxiliary products. Even when things don't go as expected their customer support has been on top of it.

Pros

I like the immediate transition of the company since the new [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] has taken over. Their commitment to customer success with new edge technologies has been a great shift and kept me as a customer.

Cons

I dislike the fact that they don't have a bigger stack in the hospital industry of healthcare. I think this needs to change particularly with their api and interoperability stack.

Cerner PowerChart Ambulatory EHR and EpicCare EMR

Reasons for Switching to NextGen Healthcare

The full product offerings was a perfect for our model of healthcare.

Top NextGen Healthcare Alternatives

eClinicalWorks

Cerner PowerChart Ambulatory EHR

Jennifer N. Jennifer N.

Reviewed on 07/11/2017

NextGen has been easy to learn and has grown with the changes that occur in the medical field.

We transitioned from paper charts to this EHR. The process was challenging but nextgen navigated us through all of the ups and downs it takes to get through scanning paper records and training staff. We have improved all processes since the initial implementation. We have from scheduling on the front end to the billing and statements on the back end we improved those processes. We took our antiquated tickler tab system for prior authorization of our outpatient surgical procedures and moved it to an electronic way to tracked, authorize and then schedule procedures. This cut down on any procedure being schedules before it was approved. This help improve revenue in the long run. The benefits of patient portal are still being realized. Patients can communicate with office staff on their own schedule. After implementing online billing and payment options our payments on account have increased a great deal.

Pros

The ability to track authorizations using tasking and worklog as patient portal and how the messages easily populate into the front desk inbox. Patient portal can easily route the messages appropriately. And last, the ability to customize it to the needs of our specific practices slash specialty!

Cons

The ongoing upgrades although I know that is necessary for any EHR. Also there is no "reschedule" option for appointments. You can cancel then rebook and look at reschedule history but I personally like a reschedule button then follow the sequence needed.

John N. John N.

Reviewed on 26/03/2020

Powerful But Steep Learning Curve

NextGen is a very powerful and highly customizable EHR and practice management suite. It is especially handy and speedy if you have it hosted on premise along with a powerful server for SQL. With the right expertise, NextGen can be customized to exactly how you want it to behave. The interface may look a little dated at this point but functionally it is very good. You may also want fairly beefy PCs since the fat client is resource intensive. Having a NG trained expert (or power user) on call/site is extremely helpful as well to get the settings, auto-flow, and templates setup correctly for your practice. NG is really good for medium sized practices as it can handle multiple practices, providers, and specialties all at once. Some setup tasks can be repetitive (and should really be fixed) but once you get familiar with it, and can stomach the licensing costs, NG will serve your practice well as a long term EHR.

Pros

NextGen is vastly powerful and has lots of feature that are either built in or can be added.
Good SQL performance.
Flexible and customizable.

Cons

Steep learning curve, onsite SME highly recommended.
Expensive licensing
High server and PC requirement to get the best performance

Reviewed on 10/11/2018

Be prepared to train your employees forever!

Pros

I like that there are two distinctive sides to this software: Practice Management and the EHR. This makes everything difficult though when learning it for the first time. It really breaks up what would be a fairly daunting task of switching to this system. I love that patients are able to register their information before their first visit-- this makes entering in new patients so much easier and faster.

Cons

You can only do some things through Practice Management and many others through the EHR. When admitting new patients I have to toggle between the two and often have to have several browser tabs open while entering in patient data. It took seemingly forever to figure out what kind of profile employees should be on-- should we all be administrators or not? We found that some permissions were not granted if everyone was not made to be an administrator and vital abilities were lost to some employees. After learning this system for about a year we are still figuring out ways to work with this system a little better. It is not intuitive and it is difficult to learn. There has to be a better system out there when switching to Electronic Medical Records.

Cecilia M. Cecilia M.

Reviewed on 30/07/2012

We are a solo Family Practice. MediTouch is our first EHR system and we saw about eight demos before choosing this one. We loved the PM portion, but were not sure about the EHR. Since MediTouch does not require a long contract or huge start up fees we decided to give it a shot and started using it about 2 months ago. The doctor is still learning to use it and we have installed Dragon naturally speaking for him. The medical assistant's portion is pretty easy, they got it quickly and use it for vitals, medical history, family history, allergies, and social history portions. They have minor problems, like smoking use, it has the option of how many packs per day, but not how many single cigarettes per day. They also document chief complaints, but we are still working on customizing them. MediTouch comes with every possible question you can ask for all sorts of complaints so we have to go in to each individually to select the questions that your doctor would want. If you don't customize, you cannot just leave questions blank or it will not save in your encounter. It's a bit time consuming, but this way you get only the questions that your doctor would ask.

As far as the review of system, physical exam and so forth, our doctor has been dictating wherever he can. He is not a great typist so he prefers doing it this way. We have saved his negatives so that he just goes in to change any problems. This saves him a lot of time, but he's not using it for every single patient yet. At the beginning, the doctor thought it wasn't possible for him to use this system, but after some practice he feels if he puts in more time into learning it, he can do it. If you don't want to dictate, the system is mostly clicking, not much typing which I think is good, but if your doctor is not a computer person, this might be time consuming for him. Using a dictating system may help. The diagnosis portion is easy and the Escript portion has been great. If you get a request for a patient whose information is not yet in MediTouch, you do have to put it in before authorizing. Sometimes its difficult to find a pharmacy, unless you know what to search by, but that doesn't happen often.

Overall, we like the EHR portion of MediTouch, it just takes practice and time to customize the system to how you want it. I like that it has the capability of making the progress notes, just as the doctor would have in a written note. I think he will be using it for all patients pretty soon.

Kim W. Kim W.

Reviewed on 25/11/2019

In Need of a Little Help

I believe Oklahoma Foot and Ankle is NextGen's first podiatry practice. Having been with Next Gen almost 5 years, we have come to realize areas (such as the one's mentioned above) where improvement could be made and perhaps additional feedback from us could help you attract other podiatry practices. On-site training should be part of the cost of our monthly service fee. You offer webinars, but some staff would greatly benefit from hands on training.

Pros

I like the ease of transition between Practice Management and EHR.

Cons

With the ease of transition, there are some features that are totally different between the two features. Specifically, scanning in EHR doesn't give you the option to select a provider. Instead, the provider defaults to the first provider in alphabetical order in our practice. I've addressed this problem with support and they seemed to be unable to fix the problem.

Also, the templates are difficult to create in EHR. Podiatry specific templates would be nice.

Reviewed on 04/12/2018

If not for the reports, all would be 5 stars

Customer service was fantastic when this was Healthfusion. Then NextGen came along and decided to cut staff, outsource and shift everyone to a website for service requests and complaints. The "Success Community" is a farce, your requests rot there until you escalate them or call in asking why they haven't been touched. The various departments no longer communicate very effectively. The people that are still employed there are great, but spread entirely too thin.

Pros

Fully intergrated. No uploading, no downloading. You enter a claim and it sends when you save it. ERA's are there daily without having to retrieve them. Everything comes to you.

Cons

The reports module is hopelessly complicated and not written for the laymen. You will either need to pay them to write custom reports for anything you need beyond the pre-made reports, or go through lengthy training and lost of practice to understand their system.

Mary ellen F. Mary ellen F.
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Reviewed on 25/07/2016

Satisfied with MediTouch HealthFusion

Pros

I like that we were able to personalize the system with forms that we previously have used. Being able to now add in PDF editable forms is a plus. The system is easy to use for all levels of doctors and staff regardless of their computer knowledge. Meditouch is always updating the software and is on top of any and all changes to help us meet our goals for Meaningful Use.

Cons

1. I would like the money posted by each user to be user specific. I know they NOW have batch posting where the user can print only their posting but everyone still sees the main payment posting history for the day, i.e. copays taken at check-in, balances paid by patients and insurance payments (which can be sizable) would all be on one screen for all users to see. 2. There is no customer support on the weekends when we have Saturday hours and many times if an update is done on a Friday night certain features have not worked causing work flow problems.

Janice P. Janice P.

Reviewed on 20/02/2020

Complete electronic health records and administration

No unsolved problems.

Pros

Support team was very helpful on getting the software up and running. I love that this program is on the cloud and I can access it from anywhere and they information is stored in the cloud. Sometimes when I see there is a problem with the software, it is sometimes fixed on its own ( without a call )

Cons

There are some periods fields that are not easy to enter (for example a phone number,social security number going from area code to zip code you need to enter an move to the next field, instead of skipping over to it. I have no other experience with other electronic health systems.

Afshin M. Afshin M.

Reviewed on 28/02/2019

Difficult EMR to use, even more difficult to get rid of - Poor customer service, poor tech...

Do your research before purchasing this EMR, because once you sign up with them, it is very difficult to get rid of it. They make it very difficult to sever the ties with them, and costly to obtain your patients' records and will continue to charge you if you have authorized them to withdraw the monthly subscription from your credit card, which might be related to the lack of communication between their different departments, but nevertheless amounts to harassment and lots of time wasted disputing those withdrawals with your bank.
I also got charged twice in 1 month last year, and still waiting for a response from their accounting department to get a refund for the overcharge (despite multiple emails)
If you use their efax service, make sure you get a list of efaxes you have received to verify the overage fees they charge you (so far they have not sent me the list of efaxes and continue to charge me for overage each month despite the fact I have canceled my services)

Pros

My biller felt the practice management/billing side of meditouch/NextGen office was about average but the issues with the EMR made this product impossible and ended up switching EMR

Cons

I started my subscription with meditouch/Health fusion, later changed name to NextGen office.
The software is a billing platform with an EMR tacked on to it. I had used various EMRs during residency and in a group practice and this is the absolute worst product, most rigid software with lots of clicks and not user-friendly. Just reviewing a lab result is a hassle, needing to go in and out of the chart note, with numerous clicks in between. On several occasions, I noticed Meditouch glitching and chart associated with the labs belonged to another patient, therefore had to double check all the time, an issue that I had never encountered with any other EMR (EPIC, Cerner ambulatory, Praxis, even NextGen Enterprise etc.)
Once the sales-person had sold the subscription to me he would not return my phone calls, and customer service was practically non-existent. Eventually got assigned a new contact person who was a lot more responsive but unable to solve any of the product related, customer service related or billing related issues.
Eventually, I switched EMR, and canceled my subscription with NextGen and received a confirmation that my services were discontinued, but their billing department continued to charge my credit card on file. Make sure not to sign any authorization for the billing department to charge your credit card.
In order to export my patients' data to my new EMR, NextGen wanted $ 5000. My new EMR (Praxis) transferred the data for a fraction of the price.

Eric V. Eric V.

Reviewed on 20/04/2016

Just as bad or worse than any other EHR

Pros

communicates with my billing company, but I could just fax a superbill just as easily. does insurance eligibility checks, does eRx (but is often difficult to find the pharmacy unless you know the exact zip code, sometimes doesn't find the pharmacy at all, like Safeway's)

Cons

Wow, there is so much not to like... Word searching for ICD10 codes, past medical history and problem lists returns hundreds of search items that have absolutely nothing to do with the words being searched. Also, if you enter the words out of the order in which they would appear, you will never find them. Social History is much more than whether a person drinks alcohol or smokes. There is no way to put in valuable details of a patient's social history and automatically include it in your notes. A lot gets lost by having to adhere to some stupid engineer's formatting. Same with past medical/surgical/obstetric histories-you cant add any valuable details to anything (like which knee was replaced and what happened after their concussion, etc). The charting is so useless that I have given up and gone back to paper charting. I start an encounter just to put my billing through. Health Maintenance: I can't enter that a patient refuses to do a colonoscopy or mammogram. All I can do is "disable" that patient from being counted for meaningful use. Poor formatting: while they tout being iPad friendly, each page has lots of unused space, so there is a lot of scrolling just to enter data or get to the save button (and if you don't press save, you lost it). More poor formatting: entering vitals->information is so spread out that it takes two screens to enter. AND peak flow is on the first screen while height and weight are on the second "additional information" screen. Which is more important? Also watch out for the backspace button, sometimes it works like you would expect, and other places you will get logged out and lose all of what you were doing.

Caroline O. Caroline O.

Reviewed on 08/11/2017

Love the flexibility to configure what is needed including exceptions

Pros

Excellent support - People and documents and training are helpful and available. The professionalism and expertise of the support staff, especially the engineers and developers is commendable.Improved visibility to the status of clinical workflow (no undone work hiding in paper charts), and administrative workflow status (tasking, eligibility, unbilled, rejections, etc).

Cons

"Working as designed" - Frustrating how long it can take to get fixes for defects developed, and released. If you are affected by a defect that does not have a workaround, or a painful workaround, it is hard to wait in line while other (understandably) priorities are ahead of yours.

Margarita S. Margarita S.

Reviewed on 07/11/2017

Very easy to train our staff. Fully integration.

Pros

User friendly. Cost effective Less clicks. Providers like it very much. Easy to train staff on the new system. Fully Integration Ease tomove charges from EHR to Epm. to set up. Don't have anything more to say. Our denialshave decreased as well for missing information. And we are tracking a lot easier denial le. No mor ego write under this section. Ok We are also looking into integrating more products such as clearinghouse and next share. We like the EPM RTS functionality within NextGen as it is helping us with eligibility ahead of the appointments. Our staff is capturing information timely regarding copays and coinsurances regarding each encounters. We are also tracking encounters with missing EM codes or documentation. Our clinical coding staff reviews encounters on a daily basis and checks for accuarcy. Our CFO also is very excited to see that the staff is working more efficiently. Working smart vs. hard. We are avoiding duplication of entries as the system is prompting us to review them ahead of fine.

Cons

Too many clicks on EHR. More templates. Our provider staff complains that he's taking too much time if you Tatian and they want to pay more attention to patient the patient and patient interaction.

Katelyn M. Katelyn M.

Reviewed on 03/08/2018

NextGen

I highly recommend this EHR system for any medical clinic looking for a better system!

Pros

This is one of the easiest EHR systems I've encountered with a lot great features especially for an orthopedic office. From scheduling patients to telephone encounters, it's super easy navigate and keep appropriate documentation. I like the viewing the schedule because it's easy to see all doctors that are within that clinic so you can easily schedule patients. Sending other team members tasks regarding phone calls or any messages is simple.

Cons

Finding certain documents was a tad bit tricky but that could have been within the clinic side with naming certain documents correctly. Other than that, not much else would be on my con list.

Amy J. Amy J.

Reviewed on 08/11/2017

We have had NextGen PM and EHR for about 8 years now and have seen it grow to become pretty...

Personally, I have a great job working with users. I answer their questions and help to facilitate their requests for changing the product to fit their needs, which is a great feel to bring them what they want!

Pros

The fact that we can customize our templates, and believe me, we sure did! We do have several template developers on site who can do all the work, so that has made customization very doable after upgrades.

Cons

I would have to say it would be the bugs and known issues after upgrades. However, I do understand that all upgrades will have issues and most of them will eventually be fixed.

Robert W. Robert W.

Reviewed on 07/11/2017

NextGen has improved by leaps and bounds since our first version. They continue to show a...

Pros

The attention to quality measures (eg. CQM) and staying up with industry trends. They are actually ahead of the industry when it comes to e-prescribing.

Cons

The HPI templates are lacking some obvious questions. The makes their physician consultants suspect. Any practicing provider would recognize this. I have offered my services as a consultant. Let's see if they bite. Also, the ability to carry forward exam findings would be great. My amputee isn't going to miraculously regrow a limb. The carry forward comments at the bottom isn't enough.

Melanie K. Melanie K.

Reviewed on 08/11/2017

We use Next-Gen to schedule patients in a timely manner.

We use it to schedule and manager employees and patients. To provide quick appointments with accurate information so when they come to their appointment they are able to be worked up and seen in a timely and professional manor.

Pros

I enjoy working with Next-gen because of the ease of use. It is easy to train on and I have entry level employees who can pick up the software easily.

Cons

Although new process and update are very important some updates can be harder to navigate. We tend to have to reteach processes to employees and have to find where new buttons or areas to use the features.

Nicole W. Nicole W.

Reviewed on 06/11/2017

It has been great so far. this is my first time attending UGM NextGen Conference.

Lots, this software drives our care and allows us to customize it to change and grow with the everchanging healthcare needs.

Pros

I like that this system provides a variety of specialties to be utilized in our clinic as we are an FQHC and we provided many different services.

Cons

I don't like how many clicks it takes to get to certain areas in the EHR to document appropriately and that it will pull into a reportable field. It makes it hard from the reporting end to be able to gain the information that you are trying to track when not all items are connected.

Susan B. Susan B.

User of PM/EHR solutions

Pros

customization to support varying workflows
Mobile Solutions

Portal functionality enhancements - self enrollment is a major plus

Cons

Ability to identify payer levels - primary, secondary, tertiary, etc.
Currently, our practice is heavily involved with bundled payment initiatives and see this only expanding - would like to see a bundled patient management solution that would integrate risk calculations, clear episode of care mgmt., patient reported outcomes

More education for sql reporting and crystal reporting

Debra D. Debra D.

Reviewed on 07/11/2017

The practice management system has improved our billing productivity and reporting by 100%.

Improved billing ease and speed, as well as, Improved productivity in the billing department.

Pros

The adaptability to most billing issue/solutions is remarkable. The Success community website is extremely helpful when looking for information and requesting assistance. In 30 years, I have never worked with a more user friendly company.

Cons

It is at times difficult to learn the configuration requirements and, for some solutions, multiple check boxes are required or the same info must be entered in multiple, unrelated, screens.

• Industry: Consumer Goods

Reviewed on 24/07/2018

Good software but could be a little more user friendly in some areas

It simplifies the billing process from charge entry to electronic billing to payment posting.

Pros

The EPM side is easy to learn even as a beginner so training new billing employees has been easy. Having EPM and EHR connected makes it easy to toggle between the 2.

Cons

The reporting features for sure. The reports are difficult to get what you want and aren't flexible or easily modified to fit what we need sometimes. Basic monthly reports are fine, it's when we're looking to run something specific that it seems impossible.

Tracie P. Tracie P.

Reviewed on 23/01/2019

GREAT TOOL FOR EMR

I used this EMR in a Dermatology setting. There were a few dyas of training, and staff seemed to catch on quickly. Our IT department was always close at hand and worked to customize our template for easier use. It is a great program with great reports and tools.

Pros

This software was easy to use and very easy for our IT department to taylor to our needs. There are multiple areas that are customizable and super easy to use.

Cons

The product has come along way over the years. I dont think there was anything that I did not like about the program.

Mary H. Mary H.

Reviewed on 30/12/2020

GOOD PRODUCT/ LACKS SUPPORT

Overall my experience with NextGen - Formerly Medfusion has not been what i had hoped for.

Pros

The product itself works well with our EHR. Very little down time. Customizable templates.
Easy to attach files and import to the EHR

Cons

Very slow response times on reported software issues. Poor responses -seems to be automated responses.