About Katana

Katana is a manufacturing ERP that gives you a live look at all the moving parts of your business — sales, inventory, and beyond. Combining a visual interface and smart real-time master planner, Katana makes managing inventory...

Browse Katana Reviews

Zach C. Zach C.
  • Industry: Luxury Goods & Jewelry

Reviewed on 22/03/2021

Smooth Operator

It has been great, highly recommend for small to medium business. Very user friendly!

Pros

Katana has made our day to day business so much more fluid and stress free. It was easy to build out the product lines, upload product sku's and flip the switch on going live. Game changer!

Cons

On the production schedule front, hoping that the software will eventually lump all the tasks together, I have multiple consumers that order the same item, each order is its own line item instead of being lumped into a group, so our production team needs to scrub the tasks before production starts as to make sure they capture each item, as to not create redunancy in work.

Jason M. Jason M.
  • Industry: Environmental Services

Reviewed on 06/07/2021

Love the functionality!

Pros

This software is very user friendly compared to some other, more detailed programs.

Cons

I had some issue with the conversions during the product builds, so I am not sure if you could have multiple conversions for a product.

Klaus K. Klaus K.
  • Industry: Machinery

Reviewed on 21/08/2020

First Impression KATANA - perfect fit for smaller companies which do not need a complex...

For our requirements, set-up and company size the best we could find and test!
We will manage inventory/warehouse with 5000+ items, handle products with ingredients & operations, edit quotes, generate sales orders and mark received orders as shipped for automated invoice generation in Quickbooks. The cloud-based concept and the reduced complexity combined with an intuitivbe operatzion makes this SW easy to install and to work with if you have a team in different geographic locatioopns (as we have).
Set-up of KATANA is absolutely simple, mostl yself-explanatory and can be done by any "power-user" without need of (expensive) external ERP-consultants.

Pros

Handling of inventory, items, products, ingredients, sales orders - all this is handled in a very efficient, clear and easy to use way. Makes the difference compared to many alternative MRP-/ERP-systems.
Connector to QuickBooks with automatic trigger for invoices in QB once the products are marked as shipped in KATANA.
Connector to Shopify for on-line sale of spare parts.
100% helpful and open minded customer service - very helpful in helping to understand all features and finding the best workflow for specific situations.

Cons

There are some functions/features which need improvement, e.g. the customization of documents such as Quotations so every company can generate a set of individual template to serve different areas (machines, spare parts, service,..). 3-5 custom fields for Quotes/Sales Orders/Products would be helpful. Althoug KATANA is intended to be a MRP-system it would be helpful to integrate SERVICE-articles (not only MAKE or BUY articles). This would allow to add a possible service portion to a spare parts quote.
Dedicated Delivery Notes (with partial shipments) would be a great feature.

Dynamics 365 and Sage 100cloud

Reasons for Choosing Katana

Due to a downsizing in manufacturing we decided to look for a faster, more flexible, less complicated MRP-system which is cloud-based and would have good and propven interfaces to a standard accounting SW and to an on-line shop (spare parts).

Dynamics 365 and Sage 100cloud

Reasons for Switching to Katana

Simplicity with at the same time well covered basic features, ease of use, intuitive, cloud-based.

Response from Katana MRP

Thank you! Glad you are getting value out of Katana.

Top Katana Alternatives

Ellowyn I. Ellowyn I.
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

Reviewed on 06/09/2019

Great choice for small manufacturer

I tried several different MRPs before settling with Katana. Some were too clunky, others too expensive, complicated and elaborate. I felt a bit like Goldilocks. Katana was just right. Reasonably priced. Integrating with Quickbooks and Shopify was simple and efficient. The set up was fast. I no longer have to duplicate data entry onto multiple systems. This saves me times and I don't lose track of orders or inventory. I especially like the instant chat feature with their customer service reps. I can leave a quick message or screenshot of a problem and within a day or so, I have a response back and my problem resolved. No need to hire an expensive consultant, anyone could set up Katana and run it.

Pros

Very simple user-interface
Was able to set it up quickly and efficiently
Continual feature upgrades
Simple integration with Shopify & QuickBooks
Very responsive customer service
Detailed, but not overwhelming

Cons

The upload from Excel was clunky and not helpful. It was faster to just enter in the data directly.
There are features I look forward to having but that are not currently available. I know their team will be releasing them in the next year.

ERPAG

Reasons for Choosing Katana

Odoo is a beautiful all-in-one platform that seemed to be the perfect solution to tying my entire business together. However, it doesn't "play" well with Shopify and social media platforms which both are essential to my business. Any customization requires an extra fee each month plus the cost of the custom 3rd party app. Set up was complicated and when I needed help, I was pressed to pay $10k for a customer service package. For a small business, that's a lot to shell out. If I were a large company and could pay to have it all set up and administered correctly, I'm sure Odoo would be an excellent choice. But for a one-woman show, it was just too much to juggle.

Odoo

Reasons for Switching to Katana

Erpag was about the same price at the time and had a few extra features that I liked (barcode integration for example), but the user interface was just really clunky. It reminded me a lot of my days in 90's Windows. Lots of tabs and block colors. When I added a demo set of data in, it didn't seem too difficult to use, but it just wasn't intuitive to me.

Response from Katana MRP

Thank you for the feedback!

Replied 10/09/2019
Elle R. Elle R.

Reviewed on 14/05/2020

Cannot recommend this app enough

Honestly has changed my life for the better. I'm no longer running out of supplies and having to do emergency orders (hello, extra shipping fees!). This keeps me organized and helps me to better my time management. I can see every open order that I need to fulfill and planning out supply orders is a breeze. I've recommended this app to every other maker I know because I am that in love with it. I'll use this app for the rest of my life because it is the best thing that's happened to my business in a long time.

Pros

This software legitimately changed the way my business runs. It keeps me accountable for the hundreds of supplies I use on a daily basis and keeps me organized in a way that no lists, or other apps, ever have.

Cons

I can honestly say nothing, this app works so seamlessly and wonderfully. Maybe the load speeds can be a little laggy, but that's mostly because I have a lot of materials I've input. Definitely not an app downfall or issue at all.

Response from Katana MRP

Thank you for the support!

Replied 02/06/2020
Elias T. Elias T.

Reviewed on 20/12/2020

Simple but Effective Inventory Management

We've saved countless manhours on tracking inventory. It also makes purchasing decisions a lot easier, with the ability to know at a glance how much of each product you need to buy.

Pros

PROS:

- really easy to use, great interface

- support is responsive, although we didn't have much need for support thanks to a very thorough and detailed knowledge base

- reasonably priced compared to other inventory management systems

- good integrations with Shopify, Quickbooks, etc

- it made inventory tracking a lot easier for us as a manufacturer. The manhours saved on doing Excel updates to inventory would definitely cost more if you run complex operations

Cons

CONS:

- Integration with Quickbooks is a little iffy if you don't login to Quickbooks beforehand

- It doesn't have a multicurrency feature for purchase orders (when you buy inventory in a currency different from your main currency)

- It's not easy to account for freight costs in the costs of buying raw materials

- You can't work in 2 browser tabs without paying for 2 users, this can be a little frustrating

Response from Katana MRP

Thank you for the valuable feedback! Some of your suggestions are already in our roadmap for 2021. Glad to see you are saving time and resources with Katana!

Kyle K. Kyle K.
  • Industry: Luxury Goods & Jewelry

Reviewed on 05/09/2019

Streamline Any Business With KATANA

The customer service is honestly the best customer service I have ever experienced. They are quick to respond, clear at explaining, very knowledgeable of the software, and great to work with. Rep even made me videos walking me through the parts of the process that were hanging me up.

Pros

The ability to streamline production, inventory and invoicing is a huge time saver and really helps with organization. I feel it is a great value for the money that you are spending and it

Cons

There is quite a bit of setup to get everything up and running and everything really functions together. This is not Katana's fault and they really have made it easy. Once everything (materials, products, production recipes) are set up, it runs like a charm.

Response from Katana MRP

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience!

Replied 09/09/2019
Lucille S. Lucille S.
  • Industry: Cosmetics

Reviewed on 24/09/2019

A must for any manufacturing startup

Katana has been an absolute game changer for our cosmetics manufacturing business. Prior to this, we were using an inventory management system more suited to home crafters. It was woefully inadequate for our needs, but traditional MPR software was too complicated and expensive. Katana offers the perfect balance between powerful, seamless tracking and a user-friendly interface. It saves us hours of planning time each week and has greatly reduced errors. There's no way we'd be able to scale our quickly-growing business without this software.

Pros

Intuitive, user-friendly interface and powerful, seamless inventory tracking.

Cons

We don't like the per-user pricing model.

Response from Katana MRP

Thank you for showing the love!

Replied 30/09/2019
Zach S. Zach S.

Reviewed on 21/01/2020

Incredible product and support

Pros

We tried several ERP systems for our manufacturing business without a lot of luck. Katana, without question, is one of the best and more affordable options we've come across. Coupled with their incredible support, we wouldn't recommend anything else.

Cons

While they're super responsive to feature requests, Katana doesn't include an API or Hook.

Response from Katana MRP

Thank you for your review! We will be working on opening an API very soon.

Replied 22/01/2020
Paddy W. Paddy W.

Reviewed on 21/01/2020

Great software with an amazing user interface

Pros

- User interface
- Ease of use
- Set up was straight forward

Cons

- Lacking a few features but they are expanding and often adding new features

MRPeasy

Reasons for Switching to Katana

In the end it was the software that stood out, having done a demo with Fred we were satisfied with everything.

Response from Katana MRP

Thank you for the review. And, indeed, we are on weekly basis adding new features :)

Replied 22/01/2020
Emil E. Emil E.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Reviewed on 15/11/2021

Unbelievable!

Not only does the App work perfectly, but the support is out of this world.

We have quite complex requirements for the size of our business due to having products that change every month. The team at Katana helped me to design the perfect solution and then found us a brilliant agency to implement it for a very reasonable price. All for no additional cost. Friendly, helpful and fast responses. Perfect 11/10 for customer service

I have used far more expensive MRP and ERP systems in the past, and I must say that Katana measures up very well. For the price and it's ability to integrate with everything we already use it is unbeatable.

If you are a manufacturing business and you use Xero, use Katana!

Pros

Ease of use
Set up
Customer service
Ability to integrate

Cons

No in house integrations option. Customer service was so good, I would have liked an integration option directly from Katana

Justin C. Justin C.
  • Industry: Glass, Ceramics & Concrete

Reviewed on 28/01/2020

Katana

Pros

Ease of use with material inventory and production task management.

Cons

Katana pulls order information from Shopify, and the info as it appears in Katana is always rearranged and never in the same order.

Response from Katana MRP

Thank you for the review! Regarding Shopify orders appearance - just wanted to let you know we are working to improve the user experience on this!

Replied 30/01/2020
Eddie B. Eddie B.
  • Industry: Renewables & Environment

Reviewed on 21/06/2021

Manufacturing MRP

Good support and they are constantly improving the software.

Pros

Cloud based and easy to use. PNs support variants which allows for great flexibility when pricing items to multiple customers.

Cons

Interface with Quickbooks could use more customization. Item quantities need to be able to support fractional based values.

Beryl S. Beryl S.
  • Industry: Veterinary

Reviewed on 14/05/2020

Katana

On time ordering, not running out of stock, being aware of all aspects of the business.

Pros

It is the only product I have found which helps run my entire process from purchasing raw materials to selling end products.

Cons

It sometimes gets complicated. Luckily, support is good.

Response from Katana MRP

Thank you for the review!

Replied 02/06/2020
Ashley L. Ashley L.

Reviewed on 16/12/2020

Love this option for our manufacturing/ecommerce brand

Pros

I love the ease of setup with this tool, and the ability to integrate it so well with all of our other platforms.

Cons

I wish the Lot Tracking came standard because it is a health and safety issue and should be included in the basic plan in my opinion.

Response from Katana MRP

Thank you for your feedback!

Brandon B. Brandon B.
  • Industry: Sporting Goods

Reviewed on 31/05/2020

Simple inventory solution with BOM

Pros

A simple solution for tracking ingredients and manufacturing operations tied to work orders and final products.

Cons

Covers most the basics but missing some nice to have features like custom metadata/fields for orders and the ability to bulk modify delivery date. I also would like simple ways to adjust work orders and inventory for scrap or loss during production. Seems there are workarounds for these though.

Response from Katana MRP

THank you for sharing your feedback!

Replied 08/06/2020
Bartosz S. Bartosz S.
  • Industry: Aviation & Aerospace

Reviewed on 10/06/2020

Great product

Pros

How easy it is to track the ingredients needed for your products. It gives you a very clear picture of where are you at with your production.

Cons

It's still relatively young product and there are few features missing here and there. However the Katana team seems to be very responsive and constantly improving the product.

Response from Katana MRP

Thank you for the support!

Replied 18/06/2020
Nick L. Nick L.

Reviewed on 23/03/2021

Really useful for manufacturers

Pros

Extremely useful for those with raw materials -> manufacturing -> finished goods -> COGS

This process can be very tedious and Katana has saved days of work each month.

Cons

Having a dashboard for analytics might help

• Used for Free Trial

Reviewed on 05/09/2019

I dont understand all the great reviews

Pros

The interface is intuitive. The pricing seems okay.

Cons

This software is seriously lacking features. For all those who wrote reviews saying they love the software, I want to know what industry they work in and how they use the app. It doesnt offer very basic features. You can't bulk edit, you literally need to upload an excel sheet if you want to change several products. There are no images for your products. How does it not support images? This is basic database stuff. And currently, you can only manufacture items from one location! Who's rating this software as great?!

Response from Katana MRP

As a fast growing software, we understand the concerns you have with Katana. At our current development speed, all of the mentioned lacking features are made available by the end of this year. Hope you will give us another chance!

Replied 30/09/2019
Paul M. Paul M.
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

Reviewed on 22/03/2021

Very Useful

The overall experience has been excellent so far. Katana has helped us transition away from using spreadsheets to track our manufacturing operations and really professionalise our processes. It's an integral part of our everyday operations.

Pros

Katana has multiple features which have very useful in improving our manufacturing processes. The ability to create recipes for each product has been a huge help for us as we have quite a lot of raw materials in each finished product.

The Shop Floor app has been brilliant for us to track production/assembly time more accurately. This has been a great help in pinpointing an accurate cost per unit.

Cons

The only aspect that hasn't met our expectations so far has been the batch tracking feature. This is an excellent feature and one that would be so helpful for us. However, we need it to work automatically with our Shopify orders and at the moment sales orders can only be attributed to particular batches if you fulfil them on the Katana dashboard. We need this to happen automatically when our Shopify orders are fulfilled.

Orderhive

Reasons for Switching to Katana

Katana was much more suited to our needs in terms of the receipt creation features for each product. The interface was also much simpler than the alternative products we considered.
Denis O. Denis O.
  • Industry: Printing

Reviewed on 31/12/2020

Best MRP/inventory manager for small business

Overall, I'm very happy with Katana. Even though I run a small business and the price is relatively high for me, it's still well worth it.

Adding new orders is quick and simple, but more importantly, I can instantly see if I have all the required resources at hand. Even if I have a few dozen pending orders, their coloured chart makes it so easy to quickly see if there are any issues.

Pros

Very easy to use without cluttered interface. This was my biggest selling point when comparing Katana to other similar products. Everything is so well organised and easy to glance over, while still offering nearly everything that I need for myself.

I also like that any changes in the inventory are immediately reflected in open orders. This is true for everything that I've used so far; as soon as I make a change in one area, it instantly reflects in all others as well.

Cons

I'm missing one feature, but it's more due to the specific nature of my business. It would be great if I could organize my inventory not just by total combined weight, but broken down into individual units as well.

For example, if my order requires 500g of plastic in one piece, but I have two separate pieces of 250g each, Katana will show that I have enough resources, even though I can't fill my order since I need one unbroken piece.

I've already got in touch with their support about this and they've said my request was put on their wish list, so I'm fairly confident it will eventually get implemented.

Response from Katana MRP

Thank you for choosing Katana!

Replied 13/01/2021
Brandon K. Brandon K.
  • Industry: Consumer Electronics

Reviewed on 09/02/2020

Perfect for where we're at right now

We chose Katana after trying out a couple different MRP's which were either overly complex, over-priced, or didn't fit our needs. We've stuck with Katana based on it's ease-of-use, intuitive design, and delivery of everything we need it to do.

Pros

It's great to be able to log in on any computer without having to install software, and it's done an amazing job of keeping our inventory tidy and up-to-date. The Purchase Order generator has also made us look very professional to our suppliers. The integration with Shopify is also a huge plus to us as it prevents us from having to manually transfer Shopify orders and automatically removes all parts from the BOM from our inventory. Highly recommended!

Cons

There aren't many, if any things we've come up against yet that Katana didn't support.

Response from Katana MRP

Thank you for the feedback!

Replied 13/02/2020
Michaela H. Michaela H.
  • Industry: Industrial Automation

Reviewed on 05/10/2021

Manufacturing superstar

We went over many manufacturing software, but Katana is the best so far.

Pros

- easiness of navigation and implementation
- support
- the colour coding

Cons

- not sure how to upload documents
- not being able to add multiple sale and purchase accounts
- not being able to ship partial sale orders

Fishbowl

Reasons for Choosing Katana

too hard to navigate/ implement/ support etc

JobBOSS²

Reasons for Switching to Katana

overall feel and easiness of allocation
Jeff H. Jeff H.

Reviewed on 18/12/2020

Most Intuitive MRP Ever

Overall it's simple to setup, simple to use, and while not quite polished, does everything we need in a hugely user friendly way.

Pros

I was looking for a solution for seasonal manufacturing workers that we don't have time to get up to speed with some complex MRP - Kanata's UI is the most intuitive interface out of any MRP I was able to find. The ease of re-prioritising jobs, and the automatic stock refactoring is awesome, and the team are really, really responsive to feature ideas and issues. Seamless integrations with WooCommerce makes supplying orders to customers super easy.

Cons

It doesn't quite have everything we need, some of which I though we're quite base (Bin Locations, Supplier Product Codes, Purchase Orders that email directly to suppliers), but all of those have work arounds, and I'm assured are planned for future development.

Response from Katana MRP

Thank you for the review!

Replied 13/01/2021
Andrew D. Andrew D.
  • Industry: Chemicals

Reviewed on 31/01/2020

A nessecary tool

Mainly we have had a good experience, the system is updated to try and make it fit every company model.
It has helped me monitor our business and stock levels closely, you just have to make sure it is kept up to date so that it accurately reflects your current stock levels.

Pros

Helps keep track of work stock if used correctly.

Updated regulary. We had an issue where there was not enough decimal places for us to input our formulas, we raised this issue and within a month it was fixed.

Allows me to quickly find out a customers purchasing history and the percentage profit made per product

Cons

My only issue is that it is slightly expensive for a small company.

Response from Katana MRP

Thank you for the feedback!

Replied 10/02/2020