Clover Reviews

3.9

3.9

About Clover

Clover POS is an integrated point-of-sale (POS) system with custom hardware designed for several types of retailers. This POS system is available in both web-based and server-based deployment versions and offers countertop...

3.8
3.3

Browse Clover Reviews

Luis
Luis
  • Industry: Design

Reviewed on 09/06/2023

Clover Review

Clover is very easy to use, doesn't take much space and it makes paying for merchandise and services fast and easy.

Pros

It's very easy to use, and I love how it accepts so many kinds of credit cards and forms of payments!

Cons

I don't like how sometimes it will take a few tries to read a card, which can make customers desperate and annoyed.

Sabrina
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Reviewed on 20/11/2023

We needed an upgrade from QBM.

We love the web-based back office. Checking sales from my phone and being able to check orders in real-time has been the best management tool.

Pros

Plug and pay. Clover really is, "plug and pay" we were able to start using it as soon as the machines arrived. We also were able to get a replacement register drawer quickly when one just stopped working.

Cons

Our menu was not completely programmed when the machines were sent this was a bit of a hassle. After some back and forth we were somewhat satisfied with the items programmed and we could take it from there.

Square Point of Sale and Toast POS

Reasons for Choosing Clover

QBM or Quality Business Machines was a failing software that was not integrated with any credit card solution or processor. We were not able to read the reports or manage our cash flow.

Reasons for Switching to Clover

Clover was recommended by First Data our credit card processor.
Amanda

Reviewed on 19/12/2023

Do not use Clover if you own a salon/spa/massage business ! Absolutely awful

I can not believe the absolute horrible customer service. No call backs, no answers, no help what so ever! I can't use the program in the most critical time of business. (right before Christmas) I am just blown away at how awful and time consuming this has become. It is literally slowly destroying my business.

Pros

When we first contacted clover we had two specialists. Both of which helped set everything up in a super easy process.

Cons

After about 4 months, both of the people that we had contact with either left, or were fired. We have not received any help from customer service since.

Booker and Mindbody

Reasons for Choosing Clover

Credit Card Processing fees were way too high. We needed a program that would allow us to bump those fees on to the consumer.

MassageBook

Reasons for Switching to Clover

We liked the way the program and system looked on paper. Not having any idea that we were going to fall in to so many issues. Credit card fees are not being applied, gift card application is not working, website integration is awful, and no help from anyone to resolve these issues.

Top Clover Alternatives

Affinity Designer

Square for Restaurants

PayPal Commerce Platform

yesenia
  • Industry: Veterinary

Reviewed on 24/02/2024

Clover Review

Pros

The thing I liked most about clover was how easy it was to look at past payments.

Cons

The things i liked least about Clover was the fact that we weren't able to process refunds online.

Elizabeth
  • Industry: Entertainment

Reviewed on 10/05/2020

Almost Great...

My overall experience with clover has spanned from the creation of menus and items with sub menus and add ons for each item, as well as specials for days of the week as well as happy hour times to daily usage for pos transactions. Overall I have been very happy with everything, other than the need to set up account through bank, as I mentioned before.

Pros

I love how easy it is to use clover for grab and go, sit down service, or retail services. It is the only pos system I know of that is easy to use for one or all three of the above type of service. With one pos you can easily switch apps and have optimized layout and design for each of the above, while keeping the same items and menus/submenus.

Cons

I dislike that it has to be used through your bank. It makes it really hard for management to have the ability to access customer support and full features, since most owners dont want their employees, even management, to have access to full banking info.

Aloha EPOS

Reasons for Choosing Clover

Better overall bundles and all inclusive services made clover a sole replacement for multiple previous softwares.

Square for Restaurants

Reasons for Switching to Clover

Again it allowed for the use of only one company/software versus having to use multiple items for different needs such as pos transactions, inventory, scheduling etc.
Jodi
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Reviewed on 21/01/2020

Great payment processing device

Clover payment system has been really great for our spa. Really easy to run transactions, reports or refunds. The customer service has been knowledgeable and super friendly when we have had any issues.

Pros

It’s is super easy to take and track transactions. Has report capabilities And many functions. It is super easy to use. I have two different clover devices for different providers and they are all great.

Cons

The software itself is wonderful. The only issue I have is with the flex portable device on/off button. It is on the side and client constantly hit the button when they are picking up to sign for a transaction. The button should be on back underneath where it can’t be accidentally touched.

Reasons for Switching to Clover

Love the functions on the clover and the receipts it prints.
Thomas

Reviewed on 07/02/2024

The crash of Clover

I’m a month pass our warranty and because of their crash I end up having to pay over $300 to replace a piece of equipment

Pros

A piece of equipment failed because of their crash and unable to use the system basically out of business until it is fixed and I had to pay for it. It’s been over a week already looks like another week.

Cons

Very unreliable I had a business you better have a back up system like Square and an iPad and a cash register

Reasons for Choosing Clover

Old equipment outdated, poor customer service

Reasons for Switching to Clover

Good things very disappointed in this crash makes it unreliable
Katie
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

Reviewed on 03/12/2019

Easy to Use and Competitive Rates

Overall, the product is simple enough to use that I am not worried about any of our contracted therapists messing up the process and avoiding taking payments.

Pros

What I like most about Clover is that it can be downloaded on any smart device as app and has an easy to use card chip reader. Our agency wanted a chip reader for extra customer security and Clover offered that option.

Cons

I like least about the software is that is does not capture customer information as simple as their first and last name, but simply has a text box for a description. Our agency uses the device for customer copays for therapy appointments and in the text box I am forced to put the customers last name in order to reconcile payments later.

Reasons for Switching to Clover

The start up costs and credit card processing fees were lower.
Lori
  • Industry: Environmental Services

Reviewed on 02/11/2023

I've tried others. Clover made the cut!!

Almost a year now and I am happy with Clover. I depend on it daily.

Pros

Clover is the easiest to use, most dependable, most reliable POS application out of all I have tried. US based support and competitive pricing.

Cons

They take the fee out after the deposit instead of before like most of the others do.

Joe
Joe

Reviewed on 19/09/2023

Clover: Not as reliable as before the switch.

They've nearly put us out of business due to the migration from payeezy to clover. The most frustrating part was the fact that the representatives from clover acted like it's just par for the course and that we should just accept it.

Pros

Our bank migrated from Payeezy to Clover. The migration was easy and was done without our input.

Cons

Our bank migrated from Payeezy to Clover. The migration did not migrate all of the previously existing credit cards into the clover account causing over half of our recurring payments to fail the next month.

authorize.net and Stripe

Reasons for Choosing Clover

Our bank said they preferred to do business with Clover over Payeezy.

Reasons for Switching to Clover

It was supposedly compatible with the payeezy interface without switching software.
Carol
1.5

Reviewed on 22/09/2016

Clover not a choice for retail, very misrepresented and pricey

Pros

There is absolutely nothing that I like about this product except maybe the appearance and not too bad adding in stock that is already in the system.

Cons

This is marketed as a state of the art POS system with added capabilities through apps. However the base system is so limited that i would not even consider it a POS system, but more of an expensive payment processor. I had researched retail systems and most have lots of features and capabilities such as accepting unlimited bar codes, include a wide variety of detailed reports, inventory management including tracking of stock, re-orders, keeping track of back orders, client records, all kinds of very basic needs to a retail store. When the bank presented this system, I asked very specifically about its capabilities and gave very clear information on what I needed in a system. The rep assured me that it not only did all of the basics that I needed, but it also had apps that were available for customizing and expanding , such as going into also having an online sales presence. So, I feel it was either deliberately misrepresented or the rep is not trained at all on what the system offers and did not feel it important enough to get valid answers. The basic system does not even include basic necessary functions for retail. 1) it has a 15,000 bar code limit, plus other limits for categories and modifiers. - Their solution is for you to create new bar codes per item and just use the modifiers and what not to make up for it - however the modifiers and such also have limits. 2) it does not allow more than one wholesale cost per bar code. So if you obtain stock at differing prices due to seasons, volume, clearance, or price increases - the new prices over writes the original price put in. There is no way to have different cost for the same item. So again their suggestion is creating new bar codes for new pricing or to have a separate system for tracking cost of goods. 3) The reports are nominal. They look like ticker tape reports. No report gives information usable for a purchase order. I made the categories my suppliers so I could easily use the category report to reorder sold products, but the product and bar codes are not part of the report, so the only indicator of which item it is is the description and price. There are also few types of reports available compared to other systems I had looked at. 4) There is no purchase order capability in the base system, so also no way to track orders, back orders or way to easily know what to even order from sales or stock quantities. 5) I have had multiple times where items are put into inventory only to have them not show up when scanned at the register. Part of the time, I will go into the inventory app later and find the item with all of the necessary info there, but for some reason it is not getting picked up by the register app. Other times it isn't there and even after going back and re-entering again, I still have same problem, so I have resorted to running these items as a customer item which has further screwed up the accuracy of my inventory. 6) Due to various glitches (items not showing up in or possibly not even being subtracted properly from inventory) my inventory is nowhere close to accurate and at some point will have to be fixed. 7) To order or check inventory has to be done almost exclusively by physically going through my store to see what truly is in the store and what is needed and then typing up an order or report from that. 8) new inventory is all added manually rather than the scanner adding into the inventory app. So if you have two on the shelf, but two more you add it to make now 4. There is nothing that shows you who or what manually added or subtracted from the inventory app or when. You can assign specific access to specific functions, but I have found no oversight at all, there is no way to see what they are actually doing besides their name by the transaction they oversaw at the register. This is only the beginning of what this system lacks. 9) The only way to make up for these shortfalls is through the app store (which they had told me was for customizing, expansive needs - not basic functions). I still have yet to see anything that really covers everything this system lacks and each app costs monthly and I could easily be spending somewhere between $99 and $250/ month on an app - and its a thrid party app, that though approved, is not guaranteed, and then it is more customer service reps to deal with. I have been unable to get any decent or helpful responses from customer service reps just with the system itself - can't imagine what it would be like with glitches between apps and the system.On top of all of what the system does not do, I got mine though a lease which is way more expensive then it was presented to be, and the lease is "iron clad, unbreakable" with no guarantee the system works for my situation. I have taken it to corporate level and the best I have gotten so far is an apology that I have been inconvenienced but still denying me the ability to get out of the lease. This is so non-functional for a dance store with lots of shoes, that I will have to get another system while paying for this one while I fight to get it resolved. The only reason I leased this system was the answers given to me bto very thorough questions and it was 100% misrepresented. I hate dealing with tech anything by phone and it looked like a simple solution - on the ground set up and my bank, merchant services, POS all basically through the same place. What a disaster it has been. Has made everything more time consuming then if I had just had a basic old fashioned register and done books handwritten and not had to spend so much. The purpose of the point of sale system was to simplify book keeping and have all of the inventory, purchase orders, client info, etc. all in one system. This does absolutely nothing well except possibly process the payments - at what is seeming like pretty high fees.

Jeanine

Reviewed on 19/06/2020

DO NOT BUY A CLOVER DEVICE UNTIL YOU READ THIS REVIEW.

Everyone passes the buck. When you call Clover they tell you to call the app maker. You call the app maker and they tell you to call Clover. If you call your bank that you bought the system from, they tell you to call Clover. Everyone is "sorry" but no one can fix the issue or can offer an alternative.

Pros

There is nothing I like about my Clover device other than the price labels it can print for my products, BUT, that is an additional app you have to pay for and an additional piece of equipment you have to buy, which the rep told me was all included. I have to pay a monthly fee to be able to print price tags, he said that was also included.

Cons

1)Don't get too excited about all the apps they offer! They all cost money (if you want the version that actually does more than the basics) and NONE OF THE THIRD PARTY APPS WORK WITH EACH OTHER!!! So, you may download the rewards app and an invoicing app. Because they don't work together, the customer will never get credit for any of their rewards, etc.. 2) Technical support always says they will call you back but they NEVER do 3)Your system comes with minimal capabilities. Think of it as a calculator that can process payments. 4) Sometimes it keeps accurate inventory counts, sometimes it doesn't. 5) When entering inventory, it frequently saves an item twice. You may enter an item with a quantity of 6. Clover enters the item twice, now you have the item at 12!

Emese
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Reviewed on 20/02/2024

AVOID this company

AVOID!!!

This company is just after to rip you off!

I signed up after using online payments only before and was completely clueless. They offered me much better rates compared to the smaller companies which didn't lock you in a contract but seemed worth while. As soon as I signed up, my account manager, [sensitive content hidden], "vanished". Turned out she left the company so I ended up having to call to figure out most things by myself. I wouldn't have minded, but within the first 16 months they put my rates up... I coped with that but then received another letter saying my rates will go up again, so I had enough. I contacted Worldpay and they offered much better rates.

So then I contacted Clover to say I was to cancel, they said ok, just send an email with certain details to this and that email. They didn't mention there was any charges for it but I was with them for over over 2 years so assumed giving them the 30 days notice will be enough.

A few days later got an email from them saying click on this form to proceed with your account closure - and there they were to charge me £120 for "early termination" and also added an extra £15 for a month lease. I mean wtf?? I called them up to complain and then received an email saying it could take them 8!!! weeks to respond.

Now 3 weeks later nothing. I cancelled all my direct debits though so they can't just put random charges on my account.

Disgraceful service!

Pros

Nothing. There is nothing positive about them

Cons

Charges increase and they are penalise you to wanting to leave.

Jeremy

Reviewed on 25/09/2022

Easy to implement and maintain - loaded with great features!

Quick customer service, and a excellent interface, clover make POS a great option.

Pros

Easy to learn and use, with great ability to track inventory and customers.

Cons

The clover monthly pricing nearly doubled in the span of a month, backing out cafe into a corner. I’m still frustrated to be paying for the same features with a $50/month increase.

Square Point of Sale

Pricing and hardware

SalesVu

Reasons for Switching to Clover

POS hardware pricing sale.
Lawrence
  • Industry: Wholesale

Reviewed on 14/06/2022

Customer Service

Trying to get the original set up support is terrible. You will spend hours on the phone on hold, then transferred to another line to start over waiting, only to be dropped and start over. I have had this experience every time we reactivate our machines. Billing is another issue. We use these on a seasonal and reactivation is a nightmare.

Pros

Nice user friendly once up and running.

Cons

Inventory is hard to duplicate in all machines. When you download the template it has several errors when importing.

Square Point of Sale

Reasons for Choosing Clover

Update
Simon
  • Industry: Food Production

Reviewed on 27/08/2023

Poor software and a false advertising to pull new customers.

Fun at first, but slowly becoming the worst experience I have ever had with a POS system.

Pros

Nice clean design. Lots of promises that weren't met.

Cons

Their customer service will inform you that they will not give you new terminals despite their failure to operate properly and regardless of their "hassle free exchange policy".Software glitches are abundant and rampant throughout the device. Chase systems although ugly were far more stable and reliable.

Chenna

Reviewed on 28/07/2020

Clover for restaurants

Excellent in every possible way conceivable. We didn't have any major challenges during the last 2+ years of the usage.

Pros

Extremely easy to configure and change on the fly or on the internet, so, you don't have to be next to the machine to change or update anything. I can walk my Manager through this without any issues at all. The customer support is great. They are literally one call away. And anyone from the restaurant can call from the system, so, they don't have to provide any details on the account etc. Also, they can remotely log into the system directly and change things that we request, which is great, so, as a business owner I am not tied up to the system having to do everything myself.

Cons

Some of the features need us to call the Clover Customer Support. Also, in the good old restaurant POS systems you can print the bill and the customer adds the tip manually on paper. Also, the system automatically prints Receipts even though we touch the No Receipt Printed option. They need to fix that to avoid the waste of paper.

Kelly
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Reviewed on 16/12/2019

Ideal POS system for a food truck.

Overall a very positive experience! Great for foodservice and customer support has been able to quickly resolve issues whenever they came up.

Pros

The interface is clear, easily navigated and very editable to meet your needs. This has been ideal for our coffee truck that enjoys making custom, often complicated orders.

Cons

"Waking up" the system is a slow process, often takes us somewhere between 5 to 10 minutes every morning. Most days we have to do a full reboot in order to get things operational.

Square Point of Sale and Shopify POS

Square Point of Sale and Shopify POS
Deborah
  • Industry: Furniture

Reviewed on 08/09/2022

Clover Nightmare!!!!!!!

We used Clover for over a year at our 70+ year established furniture store. We contacted them over a year ago to cancel our services as we were opting to go with another provider and did. We filed all the requested paperwork to end services with Clover in 2021. HOWEVER, they continued to bill us for a service we NO LONGER utilized and when we confronted them about the issue of billing after CANCELATION, they denied getting paperwork and refused to refund ANY monies. (OVER $2k). The form provided by them and the instructions for resending it had changed and when confronted they denied that also. DISGUSTING BUSINESS PRACTICES! DO NOT USE THEM!

Pros

The software wasn't the problem. The software was great.

Cons

No complaints about software. The software worked great. However this isn't the ONLY part of running a good and reputable company!

Reviewed on 28/05/2022

I bought clover without looking at reviews

WARNING !!
TELL ALL YOUR FREINDS OR ASSOCIATES WHO USES CLOVER !!!
Take a picture of the screen showing how much money is made for the night before the system closes. then when it does close and print , compare the picture you took and what the print out says. Do this especially on nights when its a holiday weekend, Clover knows you'll be busy and know you won't be paying attention.. Then check the transaction app on the POS , and add up how many transaction each server or cashier did and compare it to what the printout says.. When you see the discrepancies, call the FBI and ask to be added to the growing number of clients that wants to sue Clover

Pros

duh ?? it lights up , doesn't use a lot of electricity

Cons

customer service , THERE IS NO OTHER CUSTOMER SERVICE ON THIS PLANET THAT IS WORSE THAN CLOVER CUSTOMER SERVICE./ They are the worst because they have to obey what their bosses say in robbing you the client. they will put you on a long hold and then you're disconnected. If you are lucky to speak to someone, whatever they have to say will never make sense to you !! Good luck

Brianna
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Reviewed on 08/04/2022

Great but has limitations

Overall, it’s been really great. Whenever we have issues, clover is usually able to solve it. Their customer service has been wonderful; they take time to understand issues and make notes for their software engineers when there’s a bug.

Pros

Easy to use; intuitive layout.
The report overview can show sales by-the-hour which is helpful for planning.
The add-on apps have been working well; Menufy & the inventory audit are great.
The inventory audit add on also has a downloadable app which has significantly streamlined our inventory process.
Great customer service-they are able and willing to help fix any issues that come up.

Cons

The hardware can be glitchy. 2 examples: (1) the station will start clicking buttons randomly and sometimes this can only be stopped by restarting the machine. (2) the biometric finger print sign in will crash about 50% of the time when trying to add new employees.
The reports could be more customizable and the filters could be more detailed.
It would be nice if the whole thing was able to be customized to fit our unique needs, but for the price it works well enough.

Matt
1.5

Reviewed on 12/05/2016

Reporting inconsistent, support is minimal, labor scheduling is good.

Pros

Homebase app is excellent for labor scheduling. Homebase allows us to add new employees, build their roles and add availability for each employee. Then when our schedule is completed, we can text out each employees individual schedules to their cell phones.

Cons

Downtime is frequent, support is minimal, reporting is inconsistent. Clover is a young and sleek POS, but their hardware is run on wifi and can continuously crash or fail to process tickets from the tablets. I understand that turning tables is faster in theory with electronic cloud based technology, but when a server must stand in front of a table and have difficulty modifying the order because of so many screens to touch through and new screens to load (and buffering is an issue at times), the 'speed' is lost. In addition to hardware issues (printer dying in the middle of dinner rush), the reporting is confusing and not helpful. Where is the daily sales summary? We pay our servers' credit card tips out through net cash sales and there is no way to track this in Clover. We use QuickBooks Online for accounting, and to "reduce data entry" QuickBooks works with Clover through a third party app called CommerceSync, another inconsistent tool. All in all, if you have a problem with anything listed above, and you call for support, you will be greeted with suggestions of other third party apps to buy to fix the problems.. these are not solutions, they are just ways for Clover to make more money.

Chinweikpe
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Reviewed on 01/09/2022

Untrustworthy

Signed up with this company in March this year, what they said is not what they did;

the amount of
hidden fees this company has is truly disturbing,
not to leave out when I complained they
waved off nearly half of what they claimed I owed
them, not to leave out they have an answer for
every discrepancy one can mention.
I told them that I no longer trusted their company
for taking card payments, disconnected them
from taking payments from my bank,
disconnected the machine & went back to
using SUM UP who have no hidden fees & are
actually for businesses not out to daylight
robbery them. I have since spoken to a
number of merchants using clover to take
card payments & they also spoke if being
charged extortionate figures that were not in
the contract, I've told them to use SUM UP or
any other truly no hidden fees company to
take card payments. Since I went back to
using SUM UP my business is thriving again. If
you want a TRULY successful business DO
NOT USE THIS COMPANY TO TAKE CARD
PAYMENTS Clover then asked me for the bank
details of the bank that I was using which they
had no access to & I told them no & that I was
d going to write a review of how much if a
nightmare & a scam I found them to be.

This is the review.

Pros

The cons of using Clover far outweighs the pros, all I recall is what a nightmare the company turned out to be for my business.

Cons

The internet kept on ceasing despite it working perfectly fine for the first month, they I had to keep signing in, & there was nothing wrong with the internet, but that’s not my problem with the company.

Steven

Reviewed on 24/10/2023

My Take on Clover

My overall experience with Clover is very nice and pleasant because I do enjoy using Clover and I am grateful for Clover as part of my life today,

Pros

I do enjoy and I am grateful for Clover. I do because Clover is a nice way to get points and it is a reward system when you go get points, check in, and get deals/promos with restaurants and cafes. I like when you can get the ability to order and pay for your food and drinks.

Cons

I wish for some restaurants to expand and be open to Clover for nice deals, promos, and rewards to give back to customers for sure since at the end of the day, support is the key for support.

Yessenia

Reviewed on 29/10/2018

Excellent POS System for any business!

Overall it is a great pos system!

Pros

When we change to clover, we thought it was going to be difficult for us to learn how to use it. We were wrong it, was really easy to use and install. One of the things I love about it is, that I can add products remotely on the inventory. I can also verify the transaction remotely from my pc or my phone. The customer support is great, they immediately call back when you contact them for any problem you have with the machine, transactions, or any question you have. You can also add more features to your pos because they have a app store, which let's you add online orders, id verification, etc.

Cons

Our business is a grocery store and restaurant, so we have the ebt program for the grocery store. It would be great if the clover machine with detect which items are ebt and which aren't ebt elegible. That way we wouldn't have to do 2 different transactions, because it does take more time for cashiers to charge what the customer is buying.