About Twilio

Twilio is the worlds leading cloud communication platform that enables you to engage customers across channels - SMS, voice, video, email, WhatsApp and more. Pay-as-you-go APIs allow businesses to scale communications reliably.

Browse Twilio Reviews

Renan S.

Reviewed on 19/05/2019

The "magical" DIY (Do It Yourself) communication system

After 2 years using Twilio services, mainly phone and messages, I can say I am so happy I found this solution to handle my communications.
It is so flexible,
Although it has been a little bit complicated sometimes to self-learn about online phoning systems it saved me from a lot of hassles I wanted to avoid.
The best benefit you get is the ultra efficient support service

Pros

With Twilio you can start from scratch to build your own online communication system. I didn't know so much about VOIP before and it is true I had to learn a few things.
So far I have been able to use my Twilio french mobile number fully online even whenI need to travel abroad - with all mobile services you can expect (voice, SMS, MMS).
The pricing is light and the global user interface makes the whole systme pretty easy to manage.
I only use a few features from the platform but the possibilities are huge ! And they are always working on new services.
And as Twilio is now really recognized as a communication company you can find additional software apps very easily and even documentation, I am thinking of the softphone app I am using on my mobile or desktop for instance.

Cons

I could customize a personal solution because I had time to test different options and as a developer I could code stuffs if needed.
I am not sure everybody can do the same without technical skills.

David S.

Reviewed on 06/11/2021

Very good product with one major problem that won't affect a lot of people.

It's working for us, and I don't think I'd move, as I assume we would have similar problems with other text message vendors and they'd have less clout than Twillio would when it comes to solving the problem.

Pros

A powerful telephony software that only charges you for resources you use. This works great for us, as we don't currently need a massive amount of resources.

It powers all our text message needs on our internal software platforms.

Cons

The only problem we've faced is several carriers have started blocking non-standard TLD links. No failure, not message, the text messages disappear into the ether.

Twillio has been less than useless in helping solve this (I suspect because our usage is so low they don't really care)

I feel like this is a really niche problem that won't affect a lot of potential users, so I've still rated them fairly high and would probably recommend them too.

Reviewed on 01/02/2018

Tyranny of the 2FA gods!

Authy by Twilio is a run-of-the-mill 2FA app. There's nothing special about it. It works when you're not switching your hardware.

Cons

Customer Support is only available by email, not by phone, and it takes 1-3 days to hear back from them.

I was in the process of integrating their OneTouch functionality into a software program I'm designing, and I finally found out why no one else integrates it. It's busted and when you go to click the "Accept" or "Reject" buttons, it gives you an error.

Authy support said to reinstall my Authy app, and now I can't get back into the app until 2 days later because of their overbearing security. They refuse to get me out of the bind, and I'm unable to access any of my accounts until they lift the hold.

I've learned my lesson and I'm going to use LastPass so they can't hold my accounts hostage anymore for their nefarious purposes.

Top Twilio Alternatives

John G.

Reviewed on 27/07/2021

Full solution in one place

We have been using Twilio for over 4 years. We will stick with them as they are a reliable platform and they are a core to our org model.

Pros

The best feature is that the environment is very stable. We use a few hundred telephone numbers for referral purposes and we never have any issues with bridging calls.

Cons

The price per number is a bit on the higher side. Close competitors have better monthly pricing but then don't have as many features.

Svetla M.

Reviewed on 07/03/2021

An easy to use sms sending tool, easy to integrate with other solutions

Easy to use sms sending solution that integrates well with many third party solutions, for a fair price. Sending of messages is pretty fast, there is log of messaging activity and overall this is a great tool to extend your marketing messaging.

Pros

Twilio is very easy to onboard. Have integrated it with 2 different tools which connected to Twilio and Twilio was sending sms based on data passed by those tools. I can say that account sign up was very easy, the interface was fairly quick to understand, the pricing of sms is fair and support was quick to respond. It does support sending sms for many countries.

Cons

When there is some error with the sms sending (due to integration issues or other), the errors are not very intuitive and may take some time to nail out the issue. But otherwise the tool has worked great.

Geoff C.

Reviewed on 05/11/2021

Twilio- Every Business Needs It

Pros

It helps to grow client accounts while allowing them to connect with new clients quickly.

Cons

Sometimes I do not understand how to use some of the features. I do get timely support from customer service.

Nicole N.

Reviewed on 21/10/2021

User Friendly with great customer service

Pros

It's a great system for sending and setting up SMS messaging, very effective for business communication and at an affordable price. I find it very reliable and easy to use!

Cons

No cons to report at this time, my experience with Twilio has only been positive.

Reviewed on 06/12/2021

Personalized Customer Engagement with Twilio

My overall experience with Twilio is good and I honestly think that they have very high standards and extensive features in their platform. As they provide multiple services you can easily expand into those other services also as you go.

Pros

We have been using Twilio as our SMS marketing tool and the platform allows us to personalize every message according to each customer. This tool has helped us in creating long lasting relationships with our customers through this advanced enagegment levels and personalization.

Cons

After using Twilio for sometime I found the platform a little bit restrictive and too many rules. When it comes to sending out a SMS content there were few instances that the platform requested to change the content multiple times and it was exhausting specially during promotional campaigns.

• Industry: E-Learning
  • Used Monthly for 1-5 months

Reviewed on 23/11/2021

About Twilio

I am a new user of this software. Initially, it was difficult to learn, but after familiarizing with this software, it is so much easier and I like it very much. I use this mainly for make telephone calls and to send SMS messages.

Pros

The software is easy to use, the functions of the buttons are clear making the platform easy to use. It provides good resources to handle the most of the technical problems. The reliability of this is high, Quality of the call is good and has an efficient support service.

Cons

I still did not recognize many problems in this software. Only negative point is, it takes some time to deliver the message for some countries.

John J.

Reviewed on 20/12/2021

It's The Industry Standard For A Reason

Pros

It is an industry standard for a reason. Inexpensive, easy to use, and just works.

Cons

None that I can see. Pricing fluctuates based on how many texts you send out and receive, but the price per text is so cheap that it really doesn't matter at all.

Joel H.
  • Industry: Online Media

Reviewed on 23/06/2020

Outstanding Platform for Businesses Using WhatsApp

Overall it has been positive so far. We are launching our software globally now and so far they have been a solid partner in the countries we have been going to.

Pros

We used Twilio to be the backbone of custom cross-platform messaging software we built that connects people in different countries around the globe. We used it to send automated messages alerting the users that someone in their area wants to talk to them and then to continue to facilitate the conversations through our software and the WhatsApp API protecting the user's identities.

The API was very easy to use. The hardest and most challenging part was getting set up and approved by Facebook to get our WhatsApp numbers. The system tracks if messages were delivered which is great and we can see responses come back in as well, not the message content itself mind you, but that a response was sent. We also leverage their email platform which added another communication platform to our system.

All in all, we are excited about our partnership with Twilio and look forward to continuing to work with them.

Cons

The only challenging issues we had really involved WhatsApp and getting them to verify our Facebook Business listing, then approve us for a WhatsApp number and finally approve our message templates so we could use Twilio to send messages through their platform. I wouldn't say any of that was Twilio's fault and their staff was excellent at doing everything they could to help us.

The only thing I would like to see is a better more laid out navigation on their admin dashboards. You have to click into menus to get to a sub menu to then scroll around and try to find what you are looking for. It would be nice if they had a master link tree like Amazon does on their AWS dashboard.

Reviewed on 28/06/2020

Twilio also has a couple of secret super powers!

An amazingly well built product -- we rarely if ever had reliability issues -- the Twilio Functions were an especially useful post-purchase feature discovery -- so much so that we still use that even though we don't do any texting.

We also sometimes use FracTEL, since they beat Twilio on pricing 3:1 for 1-800 texts *and* had MMS 1-800 support long before Twilio.

Pros

* super easy to configure multiple accounts for billing purposes

* * Twimlets are a great way to experiment with product &/or prototype quickly - https://www.twilio.com/labs/twimlets

* Twilio functions is amazingly easy way to either extend power of tools such as Zapier &/or avoid having to use AWS Lambda, etc. -- it's a super cool hidden feature - https://www.twilio.com/docs/runtime/functions

* They have an auto-stop feature if you accidentally send too fast -- e.g., we accidentally created an infinite loop of texts between two phone numbers -- which they auto-stopped at about $20 (in three minutes).

There are likely other Twilio features hiding in plain sight -- poke around -- one of those rare cases where reading all the documentation is likely worth it

Cons

* the login process can be annoying
* help sometime takes longer than 24 hours
* configuring multiple sub-accounts is confusing at first
* not all functions can be done via UX -- some require API calls -- curl scripts were our goto

Ian B.

Reviewed on 11/12/2019

So easy it almost seems too easy.

We use Twilio Programmable Voice for a number of different use-cases. It is used to create trackable phone numbers for ads, internal phone/sms systems for sales/support and also integrated directly with our marketing automation platform, Autopilot. All of this had a fairly steep learning curve for a non-developer, but taking the time to do the work through Twilio (rather than a 3rd party software built on top of Twilio) has saved us a large amount of money and preserved a great deal of operational flexibility by preventing unwanted layers in our broader communications stack.

Pros

Twilio programable voice lets you build localized internet phone systems using numbers from anywhere in the world. I don't know of another comparable solution that isn't just another interface built on-top of Twilio. More importantly, it lets you customize these phone systems in every way imaginable (from drag/drop coding in Studio to custom apps) in just a few clicks. In terms of cost and flexibility, it is the clear winner in this space.

Cons

The product is trying to become increasingly friendly to non-developers, but it is still really positioned as a developer-first platform. It is a true platform technology, which is the root of most of Twilio's benefits – but that does come at the cost of being intimidating/less user-friendly to non-developers.

Regina B.

Reviewed on 09/08/2021

Powerful Call Management

I have had a great overall experience with Twilio. Call quality is great, the users have the option to switch between bridge dial (using a physical phone linked to Twilio) or voice over IP calling. Implementation is relatively easy and call management is done in the cloud so it can be done from anywhere.

Pros

We use Twilio in conjunction with Groove (Twilio is Groove's voice provider). It is an awesomely powerful software for call center-like call management. The voice provider lives in the cloud so Twilio is very easy to implement and get up and running very quickly with minimal development. It is pretty intuitive but has a learning curve for less tech-savvy users. The help articles are well-documented.

Cons

Twilio is very powerful, but could use more features, like the ability to have conference calls and drop off the conference call without transferring the call somewhere else. The ability to call someone, then conference in another line on the current call is not available on the platform which could be a deal-breaker for call center use.

Chirag S.
  • Industry: Insurance

Reviewed on 11/02/2021

Reliable text notifications for customers

We've had great experience with Twilio. Our users sign up for text notification and we use Twilio to deliver them information. That experience has been well-received by customers. There's more to Twilio than that but texting is what we use it for. The system barely ever goes down and always shows us accurate information of our usage.

Pros

Barrier to entry is so low; it's so easy to get started with Twilio. It took us one afternoon to test it and we were running production-grade systems the same week using Twilio. It's documentation is so good that we don't need to call into support for anything. Billing is clear and analytics is clear as well. We have enjoyed Twilio.

Cons

There isn't anything I don't like about Twilio. I do feel that Twilio can create widgets for non-technical customers to sign up customers for text notification. We have development staff that understands Twilio well enough. I do see small mom-and-pop shop owners who'd love to keep customers informed of sales through text messaging. If Twilio advertised more or somehow helped such audience, that'll be really neat.

Reviewed on 17/02/2020

Best Communications API for Voice and SMS

Overall, it's highly recommended that every startup or business should go with Twilio as their backbone communications layer. Recently they added more services like email through SendGrid, so it is really powerful.

Pros

Using Twilio services for programmable voice and SMS means that we do not have to build that infrastructure, and can build features on top of that at a quick speed. I like how reliable the services is, which is a major draw and value for money with the costs. At occasional times when there are issues, they are resolved speedily. The team is super friendly, and will always be there to help answer our problems. Otherwise, the API documentation is great and easy to implement.

Cons

It doesn't work or work so well in places like China though, which is understandable. The admin console is largely usable but can include for features for less tech savvy people, understandably, not really their audience.

Brandon M.

Reviewed on 10/12/2019

Powerful Control of Marketing & Data Analytics For Text, SMS & Video Sending

Wonderful people, always replay within a few hours of my late-night support emails. Reducing the bills is fantastic, and the tool plugs and plays with everything else nicely. Super happy with them for sure!

Pros

Love their COSTS... Some of the lowest in the industry, gives better control of budget. Utilizing Twilio we were able to navigate away from other tools that were costing us hundreds of dollars a month in per minute or per text overage fees. Provides more numbers at a cheaper cost per month by far, the whole system is powerful, inclusive, integrative of all tools and solutions through zapier and webhooks, and just a powerful system.

Cons

The UXI is a little heavy, when creating sub accounts and viewing the analytics, it is so powerful you can get lost, but that is a very minimal issue for I am sure someone with more knowledge can fly through the site and know what they are looking for much faster.

Jeff D.
  • Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

Reviewed on 18/12/2018

Great for Triggered Text Message Notifications

Overall, very happy. Great value for the money. Would highly recommend.

Pros

We've been using this system to send text notifications to a distribution list when someone visits our website and completes a form to request information. We typically receive emails from clients who send 3-5 similar, if not identical emails to multiple tour operators. By dramatically decreasing our time to contact the potential client and answer questions via email or over the phone, we saw a marked increase in booking conversions. Using the Zapier integration between our Website form tool "Gravity Forms" and Twilio, we now can respond to online inquiries a matter of minutes, and secure a booking before our competitors can even open their email.

Cons

In the Zapier setup, it is a bit of hit and miss to get all the custom text to layout like you want in a single text message.

Ramindu D.

Reviewed on 03/05/2019

One of the best platforms for call/text integration

I have led teams that integrate Twilio as a text notification service for various events from medication adherence to support ticket alerts.

Pros

Twilio provides a very straightforward interface to programmatically integration calls and texts in to software applications. Configuration and set up is super easy, and Twilio provides a variety of options for regions and countries to set up your phone numbers for. They provide a number of SDKs in popular programming languages, making integration super easy.

Cons

The price point for calls and texts are a bit on the high side. Some of the more complex configurations might be a bit hard to set up, although their documentation IS quite thorough.

Brian H.

Reviewed on 13/01/2022

Twilio SMS and Studio are fantastic

Pros

The API was easy to use, well documented, and accurate (to the documentation provided). I was up and running with a programmatic call to Twilio to send text messages from my application within 15 minutes. Twilio Studio and flows provide a great user experience that puts a lot of power into a non-developers hands for managing communication and escalation. Example flows give you just about everything you would need to get started building your own flow.

Cons

Certain aspects, like accounts, sub-accounts, and management can only be done using the API. These are minor and usually one and done (so they could be done with tool like Postman or SOAPUI).

Tomer D.
  • Industry: Broadcast Media

Reviewed on 22/08/2019

okay not that great

Pros

can replace ringcentral which is way more expensive solution

Cons

their support is not really good they don't really know whats going on

RingCentral MVP

RingCentral MVP
  • Industry: Consumer Electronics

Reviewed on 31/08/2018

Always on the Go with Twilio!

Pros

Competitive rates in the market is being offered. We use this in the company as the main tool for SMS messaging platform tool for our devices so it's cheaper compared to the rates we would be paying if we are to use the services offered by regular major carriers. It also allows use via API so very convenient and easy to set up in the backend for operational use with different platforms.

Cons

Lately, there's an issue when viewing/searching for SMS transaction logs. When you search for the logs using phone number as a search tool, sometimes the results will not show up. I think it's a bug. Also when the sub menus were changed from the previous version, it got confusing. Navigating the menus on the site got more complicated compared to before.

Steve F.
  • Industry: Higher Education

Reviewed on 13/09/2020

Solid for Salesforce integration

generally speaking very happy we haven't had any significant issues with twilio and it's allowed us to accomplish our texting needs seamlessly in Salesforce.

Pros

Super easy for our team to use. We actually use a third party UI called Mogli. Twilio is the back end for our tool though.

Cons

It was a bit of a pain to set up a tool like this on an invoice basis instead of a charge as needed basis.

Ariel C.

Reviewed on 26/07/2018

Easy to integrate with any platform

I was able to create a driver with LUA, and integrate SMS feature to Control4 Home Smart System.
I wanted to receive messages every time certain events occurred, and Twilio is really accurate and helpful. I had to minimize the amount of messages so I could spend less money per month.

Pros

- It has an API Rest and a 5 minutes to implement rule, which is quite true.
- They have a quick start for many platforms / languages.
- SMS Feature was exactly what I needed, fast send/receive messages.
- Besides having excellent docs, they have something called TwilioQuest, which I found really funny and entertaining.

Cons

- Price per SMS seems to be high, at least in my country. I guess it depends on what are you building, and the value you give to this feature.

Dilraj S.

Reviewed on 20/04/2019

Awesome tool for sending sms and voice calling

Pros

Twilio enables the users on any platform to send sms and make voice calls internationally via its well documented APIs which can be integrated very quickly on the platform by the developers. The SMS can be sent reliably on any international or local phone number once the phone numbers are bought with the required services enabled on it. Twilio also provides phone number masking for making voice calls. All in all its really an awesome module to use in your product for availing all of the Twilio services.

Cons

Twilio should provide sms and voice calling as a testing feature on the trial account which can really help people to be more convinced about its awesome services.