Float Reviews

Visit Website

About Float

Float is a collaborative resource management software for real-time project planning and task scheduling. Features include an intuitive interface, drag-and-drop features, keyboard shortcuts, reports, and analytics, and editing...

4.2

Browse Float Reviews

1,592 of 1,592 reviews
Adam
Adam

Reviewed on 27/06/2022

Solid Product

It's helped us grow a lot and help more people. It's really helped us spend less time doing admin work and more time doing real work and helping people. It takes some getting used to and commitment but it's beautifully designed, intuitive, and a big part of our success.

Pros

How easy it is to use. It's easy to jump in and also complicated enough that you can really use some advanced features.

Cons

There are of course small issues here and there but none worth mentioning at all. It's truly a great product and really helpful.

Response from Float

Thank you for your review, Adam! Excellent to hear that Float is saving you time on admin work so you can do more of what you do best!

Roger

Reviewed on 14/08/2020

Development company taking next steps in project management

A very positive experience allowing the company I work for to get better more accurate project plans and financial reports.

Pros

The ease of use as a one stop shop, browser based to allow all the development team (and subsiduary but linked teams) to see important dates like dev complete, bug fix windows, cert windows and release dates.

The ability to quickly block out time for features and projects.
The ability to add notes and details to tasks.
Fully fleshed out holiday and time off structure.
Robust financial reports possible with very high degree of accuracy for budget per project, per quarter, per annum.

We used to get by with using Excel, we invested in Float and it has taken the companies' project planning to the next step. I would recommend Float for small to mid sized companies definitely, it is a great product boost and good way of reporting and seeing issues early.

Cons

it does not allow you to easily move a bunch of small tasks along in the timeline, that's my only main gripe, you can't band box select you have to shift select. Everything else is intuitive and easy.

monday.com

Reasons for Choosing Float

Excel was clunky and out schedule was increasing in ambition and scope.

Microsoft Excel

Reasons for Switching to Float

the website and videos showing features were clear and clean and one of my peers had previous experience and good reviews of the product and we were given a gratis time period to try things out, this helped us alot in making sure Float was the product for us.
Agata

Reviewed on 16/04/2024

Great tool for planning of a numerous team

Pros

It gives the possibility to use it with a low or high level of detail of scheduling. A lot of possibilities and very flexible tool.

Cons

I don't have any issue with the product. What I like least about using Float is that not every member of the team is committed in using it so we can have some misunderstandings because for instance the colleague schedule some time-off on Google calendar but then forget to report it also in Float.

Top Float Alternatives

Reviewed on 17/01/2019

Float for time management

Problematic - not 100% sure this is floats problem, as it seems designed for the restaurant/service industry, and we are more a agency/service business.

Pros

I like the fact you can filter and search by people and/or project

Cons

I don't like that you cannot see 3months in advance on 1 screen. It's still laggy when scrolling, we have 70 people timesheeted and we have project managers filling this in, they find it cumbersome. The repeating tasks are not well formed, as in if you set a repeating weekly task then want to edit one week to be say 3 days, it won't let you do it.
We have other awkward things around adding contractors or people leaving jobs, it would be nice if Float had more sample data as I think sometimes we uncover usecases they haven't tested for - atleast tested the UX for.
I'd love it to improve, as the last speed improvement they did was a step in the right direction, but more customisation is needed.

Colby

Reviewed on 16/08/2020

A fantastic, easy to use software that gets the job done

Pros

The simplicity of Float was what sold it for us. As a company with around 90 very busy engineers and designers, entering workload data needed to take less than 5 minutes. With Float we can do this. Once all the data is in Float, managers can easily see who needs more work and who is overloaded. Support is also fantastic. The instant message service on the website always gets a fast response.

Cons

No major issues. If I had to nitpick, I had to create a workaround to allow all employees to be able to automatically see every project in the system sithout assigning it to them. To do this I had to make every user an admin. But this works fine.

Resource Management

Reasons for Choosing Float

Excel was very manual, cumbersome and time consuming.

Microsoft Excel

Reasons for Switching to Float

The ease of use was critical to us. Float did everything we needed it to.
Gauthier

Reviewed on 24/02/2024

Useful software but seems old fashioned

Pros

Easy to use. Easy to export data.
We used it during several years but we decided to switch to a more up to date software.

Cons

You can’t lock the hours, so every time a user is changing something you can’t justify your invoicing and reporting anymore.
Looks a bit old fashioned.

Alessandro
Alessandro
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

Reviewed on 28/08/2023

MID-SIZE CREATIVE TEAM (20 ppl)

Pros

Float is a powerful tool that can help the managers to make sure the team is not overloaded (or underloaded :) ).At the same time we have a clear vision if we, as a team, we can take more projects to work on or we have to raise our hand because we are in difficult

Cons

Visually could be more appealing. User interface is easy but it could be more eye-catching for the creative team

Resource Guru

Reasons for Switching to Float

The opportunity to have a mobile app and a time tracker
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Reviewed on 17/08/2020

Great tool for roadmapping personal/team schedules

It has definitely been a step in the right direction for our business using float and has a better visual to some alternatives such as monday.com.

Pros

It is easy to see what myself and my colleagues have got scheduled to help make sure that resources are managed effectively.

Cons

There is not much integration with other applications that we use which means at the moment it is a stand alone product that we use in our business. If there was more integration then we would be able to utilise the functionality more effectively.

Response from Float

Hi,

Thanks for your review! You can check out Floats direct integrations, including a Slack notification app, on our website here, https://www.float.com/integrations.

We welcome hearing any other integration requests you have. Please email [email protected].

Cheers,
Siobhan

Replied 10/09/2020
Kenneth Krogh
Kenneth Krogh

Reviewed on 18/02/2021

Float - Nice tool for team management

Pros

It is a very visual tool, I love the timeline graph where you can easily filter down the resources on both person and project tags.

Cons

It is rather simple and I would like some more options for tailoring the product to our specific needs, like setting monthly cost limits and including more visual options on each project.

Reviewed on 22/06/2022

Accessible task management via Float

In general, Float has assisted us in moving across from one system to another without disruption.

Pros

The presentation of all the features makes use of the software easy for technical and non-technical users alike. That reduces time spent in training users.

Cons

I guess the need to log in is a very mild pain point, but a necessary one.

Response from Float

Thank you for your review!

Davy

Reviewed on 02/08/2019

Excellent tool for team scheduling and follow-ups

Our company went from 1 to 5 people in the past year. We also have interns or students that are only here for a while. We now have a tool that allows us to follow up projects and team schedules in a very clear way without creating big overhead costs. It works fast and efficient for us.

Pros

Easy to use. We can view the schedule of the entire team in one screen and make instant changes if necessary.

Cons

When creating tasks, the difference between creating projects and clients can be annoying. Also: provide more colours! ;-)

Teamleader

Reasons for Choosing Float

Google Sheets was becoming to complicated to follow up billable hours, tasks and schedules. Float brought all of those together for our team.

Reasons for Switching to Float

Google Sheets was not efficient anymore. Teamleader had too many features for our current needs and would have created more overhead costs.
Lewis
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Reviewed on 17/06/2022

You might manage without it, but you really shouldn't

Good, really helps to smooth things out by communicating the schedule to everyone concerned, easy to learn and use, support is fast and friendly.

Pros

Zapier integration, user interface/layout, ability for others to view the schedule without being a billed user, flexibility, detailed reporting function, contstant improvements and updates.

Cons

I'd like to have employee birthdays displayed on the schedule somehow, other calendars use suitable icons e.g. cake with candles. There's really nothing else important I'd ask for.

Toggl Plan

Reasons for Switching to Float

Better layout and interface, does it's job of resource management very well without becoming a bloated jack of all trades master of none, easy to use, per user pricing was acceptable.

Response from Float

Thanks for your review, Lewis! Great to hear that Float is keeping everyone in your team in the loop.

Shanavas

Reviewed on 15/06/2022

Float review from a project manager perspective

Float has solved issues regarding time allocation and prioritization for me, which is what I really expect from this software.

Pros

I use float to quickly see my and my team's schedule for the day. It gives me an oversight into the entire day's work in a couple of minutes. This is what I like about float

Cons

Logging in time used versus time scheduled can be a bit more streamlined as right now it's a bit difficult to track unless everyone adds in their time log correctly.

Stephen

Reviewed on 06/02/2020

I have a team spread around the globe and this really highlights what work and projects are being carried out by the team and provides a good forecast of where resource shortfalls are.

Pros

The software is easy to use and has many features that support resource planning in flexible ways.

Cons

There could be some work on the global settings where we can convert from a local currency (i.e. Euros, Pounds, Aussie dollars) into a default currency to see how projects compare with each other when normalised.

Planview Portfolios, Trello and monday.com

Reasons for Choosing Float

More flexible, more features and somehow cheaper

Reasons for Switching to Float

They solved the issue I was struggling with which is a team view and resource capacity planning. The other products were either to complex or did not have the features I desired.
Ky

Reviewed on 13/08/2020

Best Visual Project Management Tool I've Found

It has allowed us to essentially self-manage projects without having to have a dedicated PM on staff.

Pros

We love the ease of use of Float to visualize our team's schedule. It allows us to quickly see how our people are resourced and make adjustments on the fly with the draggable task blocks. It was extremely easy to set-up and implement with our team and projects–no tutorial or laborious how-to required!

Cons

We use the basic features for an easy workflow overview so it covers all the features we would need.

Asana

Reasons for Switching to Float

Price, ease of use and set-up, simplicity and visually-focused interface
Sam
  • Industry: Internet

Reviewed on 14/08/2020

Great for balancing our resources

I think Float is having a real positive impact on our project management team and is becoming more the useful the more we use it.

Pros

As both a user and administrator of Float at our company I'd say my favourite feature is the UI design of Float. It looks great and I never have to to look hard to find the information I need - it's all very intuitive.

I also love the daily email digests that come through. Way better than any 'to do' software I have tried in the past.

The reports visualisation is fantastic too, and is something I'm only just discovering.

Cons

I'd love to use time logging / timesheets but cannot for the life of me figure this part out!

Jira, Paymo and Basecamp

Reasons for Switching to Float

Float was more focussed on resource management and the user interface was top notch.

Response from Float

Hi Sam,

Thanks so much for your review! The Account Owner can activate time tracking on your account, including a 30 day free trial for first time users.

Your team's timesheets will be pre-filled base don your scheduled work hours in Float!

If you'd like to set up a demo or find out more information, please email us at [email protected] and we'd be happy to help!

Cheers,
Siobhan

Replied 10/09/2020
Agata
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Reviewed on 22/08/2023

Float - good tool for capacity planning

Overall, it's a very convenient & reliable tool from a project manager's perspective. Some changes would be helpful, but in general it is a massive help in resource planning and I can't imagine working without it.

Pros

It is a great tool to be integrated with jira - it works well for our team, it's a seamless, smooth integration that helps us estimate time & choose the right resource for any jira tasks. It is also easy to follow by the users who are marking tasks "complete", adding comments, mark bookings as tentative. All very clear and transparent.

Cons

The integration with google calendar doesn't work that well. Some of the bookings are wrong / outdated / are not being updated / duplicated / not being displayed in a correct project or are missing. Luckily, the support team is open to help with this kind of issues. Also, the annoying feature is that the "View in jira" link doesn't work for duplicated bookings. It doesn't work well for our team as more people use the same tasks on jira in different time. It's impossible to search using the jira ticket number (you have to know the ticket name). Also, ticket numbers are not displayed in the “Task” field- that causes some confusion because we work with tasks with similar names.

Taylor

Reviewed on 14/06/2022

Absolutely Love Float

Great.

Pros

I needed a program that tracked resource allocation only, and this is it. I have brought it to every company I have worked at. It is so easy to use and set up and the Asana integration is so valuable. I am able to project the workload for the next quarter in under 30 mins.

Cons

Would love to be able to prioritize tasks according to importance in the stack but otherwise, no major cons.

Response from Float

Thanks for your review, Taylor! Amazing to hear that you're able to project the next quarter's workload in less than half an hour with Float!
Thank you so much for bringing Float into every company you've worked at!

Replied 30/06/2022
Stren
Stren
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Reviewed on 31/08/2023

Great platform for staffing and management

A good platform to manage: who, what and when. Float has maintained the visual people focus I love about the original product. Integrates well with our data compliance and avoids budget/client confidential data which will need to stay on our intranet. Presentation mode and time split functions are areas to grow functionality.

Pros

Intuitive and easy to use, focus on work schedule not project budget.

Cons

Updates are not always realtime forced page reloads required which can be troublesome for the team.

LiquidPlanner, monday.com and Evernote Teams

Reasons for Switching to Float

Price, easy of use, data compliance.
Heather
Heather

Reviewed on 22/01/2019

Multi disciplinary studio management

Currently managing a team of 9 designers in a multi disciplinary team with 30+ different jobs daily. Tool has worked perfectly well for top line management of workflow and constant changing priorities. Visually easy to understand. Since the recent update the software has performed so much better then expected and has made a massive difference to usability.

Pros

The simple usability of the software. How quick it is to add jobs, extend and move jobs around to different people. Flexible scrolling through the weeks. So easy to set someone up and get started with very minimal training. Report system very useful for monthly reports. For top line project management this is the perfect tool.

Cons

The search bar sometimes doesnt work or show particular jobs on occasion. Search seems to only work within the month you are viewing, rather then showing a job from a previous month. This is intermittent and sometimes works to find what you are looking for when refreshed. Still need to test this after the software update to see if it has been resolved.

Doesn't refresh for designers, so we have updated and moved jobs around and they aren't aware as their float has remained the same, unless they manually refresh the window.

Would be great to see more in depth project management potential, such as uploading briefs, designs and signing them off all on this software.

Sara

Reviewed on 17/01/2019

Finally -- time management that works for project managers and visual designers

We needed a way to easily plan and then communicate on our respective tasks for the week. With Basecamp (what we use for project management currently), we could pull to-do lists, but we didn't have a macro view on the week or the month with the time that it would take to complete those tasks. My designer felt like he couldn't really "'visualize" his week and couldn't communicate easily what tasks were taking more or less time than needed. Float has proved to be invaluable for time management and communication.

Pros

I like that I (as a project manager) can manage time easily for our team of two, but can easily add contract workers, and that visually it works for my designer as well -- he struggled with really seeing how his week needed to flow when just using tasklists, like Basecamp.

Cons

Anything I haven't liked has been added (e.g. ability to do recurring tasks, reordering tasks). It's a small thing, but we also spend way too much time trying to figure out colors for all of our projects after using the default ones. I would love to be able to add a project from the schedule interface -- like when I go to schedule time and I type in a project, it tries to find it; if it's not there, it would be nice to just have "add this project" without having to exit out of the scheduling box and go into Project.

Kester
  • Industry: Media Production

Reviewed on 16/06/2022

Easy to use and efficient time management tool

My overall experience with float has been extremely positive. Compared to similar products we've used in the past this is the easiest to use, and we have fewer problems than with other software.

Pros

Integration with our business was very straightforward, and there are very few problems that arise when using float on the daily. The schedule updates immediately and its very easy to keep track of an entire teams workload at a glance.

Cons

Sometimes I have issues adding in new tasks to the system, but this is quite rare.

Response from Float

Thanks for your review, Kester! Glad Float was easy to set up for your business and that it's easy to keep track of your team's workload at a glance!

Ruth
Ruth
  • Industry: Machinery

Reviewed on 30/10/2023

Achieve an equitable and sustainable resource management with Float.

Float enlightened us on how to have better planning and resources allocations. It allows us to first understand what is available to use and with such information, it becomes easy to plan our work based on what we have and what we are capable of. It allows us to institute responsibility among ourselves since it easy to know who is allocated to which job.

Pros

Float excellent resources management features helps us to bring together everyone and everything in the organization under one central point and this allows us to plan our projects effectively and allocate duties based on ones capabilities. It has useful dashboards which keeps us updated on the project time and budget expenditure in real time.

Cons

Working with Float has always been simple for me and i have no dislikes.

michelle
  • Industry: Broadcast Media

Reviewed on 14/06/2022

Float Review

great for scheduling. pretty happy with everything

Pros

I like the range of colors we are able to use. easy to adjust timing per day and see total time for each project

Cons

I wish there was a way for my team members to see everyone elses schedule. I can see the full team, but each individual can only see their own.

Response from Float

Thanks for your review, Michelle! Great that Float is helping you schedule your team's time.
A note about who can see and edit other Members' schedules -- your Float Admin can adjust access rights to allow for this. More info here: https://support.float.com/en/articles/5215287-access-rights
Hope this helps!

Replied 30/06/2022
Abbey

Reviewed on 28/08/2023

Easy to use for work complete & future tasks

Generally a very good experience with float and it meets all my needs as an individual employee. Only note is that its hard to export specific information for myself, as noted in the Cons section of this review

Pros

Scheduling is easy for both myself and others. My office operates of a flexible hybrid schedule so its great that I can also indicate what days I will be in the office.

Cons

With the introduction of hybrid work after covid, I use float to indicate what days I am in the office using the status feature that already exists. For tax purposes, It would be very useful if I as an individual employee could export the days and hours each day that I worked from home for the past year.