Deputy Reviews

About Deputy

Deputy is a cloud-based human resource management (HRM) solution that provides employee management and scheduling functionalities. Deputy's rostering application can calculate overtime and provide capabilities to schedule staff....

Browse Deputy Reviews

Glenda
Glenda

Reviewed on 28/10/2016

Excellent & Easy to Use Time Management System

Our experience with Deputy right from the very beginning has been nothing but fantastic. If you have any questions, they are answered, if you need help you can get it & it is also very cost effective.
We employ about 30 people & work in the Construction Industry. Due to the fact that there are many varied competencies involved in the type of works we do and there is also a number of different locations on any given day, rostering our staff used to be an absolute headache. Since implementing Deputy we have found this task to be completely trouble free. When we add our Employees to Deputy we input all of their relevant "Training" which includes competencies & site inductions which assists us tremendously when choosing who we can roster to the many different daily tasks we undertake. Our industry also requires that hours of work is reported of which is another feature Deputy is of tremendous value for. Not to mention the ease of actually paying our Employees each week via the connection with Xero.

Pros

The most helpful feature for us is the "Training" which allows us to know which of our Employees are qualified to undertake different tasks. It is also extremely handy when it comes to paying our wages - no more time sheets !! Once the Employees times have been approved which we try to do on a daily basis, it is just a matter of pushing the button & our payroll in Xero is ready to go. Also the "Scheduling" is wonderful & extremely easy to use.

Cons

The Android app doesn't provide as many features as the IPhone app.

Reviewed on 12/09/2023

Deputy facilitates employee scheduling

Having a nearby application that makes use of our technology makes it all the more valuable. In particular, the team's knowledge opportunities for Vice customers are fantastic. I consider the time and effort invested learning and mastering Deputy to be worthwhile, even if I am already an advanced user.

Pros

Other scheduling tools I've tried were either impractical or too difficult to learn and utilize. Deputy is the best scheduling software I have used, and I have tried a few. It's easy to get the hang of, navigate, and succeed in.

Cons

Turns off the door/window alarm. This quality is unnecessary, and the numerous safety precautions might be frustrating. Alter the range of colors available inside the span. The app's request and route customization features are user-friendly.

Reviewed on 24/02/2024

Very bad customer service

Average. Clunky. Doesn't upload or reload screens reliably.

Pros

Scheduling and timesheets. Seeing who is on shift.

Cons

Customer Service. Once you finally get through to someone there knowledge of Deputy is very limited, and most repeat what you can read off Deputy's website. They can't answer anything even slightly remotely complex. The phone support is a farce. A box ticking exercise to say they have it, it would seem.

Top Deputy Alternatives

Julie

Reviewed on 18/01/2022

Worst customer support ever

Pros

It is easy to schedule, roster available on smart phone and has a time clock system so employee work hours can be tracked and monitored.

Cons

If a software is going to suit many businesses (as advertised) the company needs to be open to discussions with all types of businesses so that the software is adaptable. This does not happen.

The customer support is atrocious. You get a robot answering then a online chat forum. It is time consuming to interact with this forum - they waste time repeating your questions, responses are very condescending, they have no power to make any changes.
For example, I have for the last month requested that someone from the country I live in and is involved with the software design(and therefore have the ability to make changes) contact me (?telephone) I have finally been told that even if they call they will not be from within the country I live in - and therefore are just one level higher in the overseas call centre.
One frustrating example - the time clock system is an important part of any rostering system - and they have just issued a new feature where staff can clock in and out from home, without any consultation or ability to turn off this feature. While this may suit some businesses it does not suit mine and I am sure I am not alone. Unfortunately this leaves the door open for staff to be fraudulent and defeats the purpose of a clock on/clock off system.

Thomas
  • Industry: Utilities

Reviewed on 22/02/2024

Pros

Easy to use and mobile friendly, great application for scheduling

Cons

Missing a help feature that is easy to navigate

Reviewed on 07/02/2023

Deputy solves scheduling and timesheet issues

As a company in a dynamic business, we use Deputy to track employee hours, breaks, meals, and vacation requests. It's convenient to set up a time. We make good use of the ability to choose from several locations as well as the News Feed. They like how simple it is to use.

Pros

User friendliness of the interface is high. It gives just enough information to make decisions, without overwhelming the reader with facts that are unrelated to the topic at hand.

Cons

The inflexibility of Deputy's design architecture means that users cannot alter the interface's appearance. It would be convenient if each user could customize their own color scheme and background image.

Utsav
  • Industry: Hospitality

Reviewed on 19/05/2023

Love it. Great Product. Highly Recommended.

Pros

I have to create rosters, manage timesheets, monitor lot of activities including labour percentages and all and deputy provides such an easy and user friendly way of doing all that I do. Copying and pasting shifts is a joy. Overall user experience is great for me.

Cons

Not that I remember in specific. However, total labour cost tracking mechanism like Employment Hero's would be a plus.

Heather

Reviewed on 26/09/2022

Deputy Helped us to go Paperless

Since implementing deputy payroll is more accurate, we save at least 35 hours of manual labour per week and we use 65% less paper.

Pros

Ease of use and security for each member of staff. With the addition of the onboarding facility Deputy has become a vital part of our operation.

Cons

I wish the scheduling facility was easier to use on a mobile or tablet. As I spend most of my life on the move this would be perfect.

Time Tracker

Reasons for Switching to Deputy

Deputy customer service, cost, functionality and security features.
Edie
  • Industry: Hospitality

Reviewed on 01/05/2022

Deputy Review!

Pros

What we like most about this software is the ease of clocking in and out and tracking our employees locations.

Cons

We like almost everything about Deputy besides how it and ADP integrate. We are still trying to figure out how to connect the two.

CHRIS

Reviewed on 22/02/2024

RIVERS ACE GRAND HAVEN

GREAT PROGRAM GREAT APP
I ENJOY BEING ABLE TO CREATE AND CORRECT STAFF SCHEDULES ON THE MOVE

Pros

SCHEDULING AND TIME TRACKING. REPORTS THAT INCLUDE LATE PUNCHES AND EARLY OUTS

Cons

THE CONFUSION OF UNAVAILABILITY VS LEAVE

Kristin
  • Industry: Entertainment

Reviewed on 24/05/2023

Agritainment / Seasonal Use

Pros

Ease of communication with employees, flexibility of the program, schedule execution and viewing, timeclock ease of use.

Cons

Some limitations of features. We like the employee review at the end of each day, but you cannot view or sort who left the review, so there is some value lacking there. We also are lacking an HR management option with our program.

Grace
  • Industry: Publishing
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Reviewed on 18/02/2022

Rostering by AI

Definitely would recommend this for companies that have shift work. The fee is not that expensive especially if it replaces an admin or HR person toiling over complicated rosters for days on end.

Pros

I felt it was important that our company, or at least my department, moved into the 21st century. We had highly paid managers AND an admin person wasting an entire day or more doing a roster for 10-person teams each month. I tinkered around with it, putting in preferred shifts for each staffer, which busy days in the week we needed more staff, their off day preferences, the minimum amount of time between shifts, how many days a month some of the contract staff worked, etc, then let Deputy do its AI thing and automatically come up with a proposed roster.

You can run it a few times to come up with different schedules, if the first time doesn't look ideal. Then it can be exported IIRC (or copied and pasted) including to excel (because "that's how we do things here" — people were just more used to viewing their roster on a spreadsheet, sigh).

The best part is, once you set most of the parameters, subsequent rostering is a breeze. Users can log in to put in their own leave dates ahead of time. IIRC they can also request among each other to change shifts.

During the trial, tech support was super responsive and even helped customise the backend of my account to allow a certain permutation we needed.

Overall I really liked Deputy. Very regretfully, it was not adopted by my company. It didn't make it past my supervisor level as he felt that there would be management resistance to paying monthly for this service.

Cons

Nothing really. It took time to figure out what parameters had to be input because my test team's roster had 5 different shift types over 7 days a week, and different people had different preferences for their rosters. It wasn't impossible to set Deputy up for this, but it was not straightforward (nothing to do with Deputy).

It also seemed at first like Deputy was more set up for people to go in and grab the shifts they wanted. But I could ignore that and run the scheduler to get rosters done quite quickly after a while.

It could take a bit of time for the automated scheduler to do its thing. But still much faster and fewer errors than human effort.

• Industry: Restaurants

Reviewed on 16/03/2023

No joke, Deputy will only sort employees by first name for several high-use functions.

Meets some of my basic needs. Total fail when it comes to customer service and certain basic needs like the ability to sort staff by last name.

Pros

Relatively easy to get staff setup. Ipad, mobile and desktop integrations are good.

Cons

When looking at timesheets on screen, Deputy does not allow employees to be sorted any other way than by FIRST NAME! Seriously, such a basic function is has been lacking for our entire time with Deputy (~5 years). I keep thinking this has to be on their radar and will get added, but nope! Still organizing my staff like their a class of 2nd graders, lol! Also, many promised integrations (like Square and Xero) have been highly problematic for me. I've just given up. I export raw data from Deputy into spreadsheets and handle it on my own from there. Failed promises. Abismal customer service outsourced to non-English speaking countries.

Jenna

Reviewed on 12/01/2020

The Daily Users thoughts on this Time Sheet Tracker

Overall great feelings towards this product. It is easy to use. Makes sense to the new employees, makes keeping track of my time so much better.

Pros

I love the daily photos your staff have to take. I love that it flows so well with Gusto. I truly enjoy how easy it is to clock in and out on a daily basis. It has a very friendly user format. I love how easy it is to edit the time when I screw up and forget to clock back in after my break. I like how I can see who is working on what days. It helps with planning ahead with the schedule.

Cons

I truly get frustrated when it automatically adds your 30 min break if you did not take one. Sometimes it can be hard to get the picture taken to clock in and out. I have had to restart the device a few times, and when you are done for the day and need to get going, that can be very frustrating. It would be a nice feature to see when other staff are asking for time off, so I do not bother asking for that time off as well if I do not need to take that same time off.

Natalie
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

Reviewed on 28/03/2019

Accessible and Easy Use

I can be on the go and document what I am doing and show that I am on location if needed. It helps me keep track of what clients I met when, and is especially helpful when writing reports and dates are needed.

Pros

I liked that my coworker who was blind could easily navigate the app using her iphone and text-to-speech. I also like that I can look back at dates and see I did that day, as well as my hours total count for the week. The hours total count is a change that I requested to the app and the updated showed in a reasonable amount of time. The design is easy to use with the iphone app, and I like that the categories can be designed to fit your business tasks for streamlined documentation of how much time is spent doing a certain task. Also, you can put notes to detail what you were doing during that time period which is crucial for staff that are changing tasks all day.

Cons

Sometimes the app will glitch when putting in an end time and after changing the end time from the current time it will default several times back to the current time instead of the end time you want.

Pauline
  • Industry: Human Resources

Deputy Review

Pros

The ease of scheduling and communicating with employees

Cons

Would like to be able to sort by last name, if need to print time cards can't sort by last name either.

Jagadeesan
  • Industry: Restaurants

Would recommend

Good

Pros

Ease of use and excellent scheduling and timeclock function

Cons

Extra cost for onboarding employees on top of license fee

Planday

Reasons for Switching to Deputy

Ease of use
Lara
  • Industry: Facilities Services

Reviewed on 10/10/2019

Couldn't survive without Deputy

As a company that provides rapid response (24/7) labour hire to Mines & Industrial clients, it is essential that we can advise staff of their shifts quickly & accurately. We can have up to 3 roster changes per day (for 22 staff) and are currently saving up to 11hrs per week in admin time just by adopting the rostering & timesheet features of Deputy. Couldn't survive without this program!

Pros

Easy to set-up with no costly IT service visits. Being a free app removes any hesitation by staff to adopt this software. Can immediately advise staff of last minute shift changes and they can advise of their availability to HR (preventing any clashes)

Cons

Don't seem to be able to approve timesheets from HR mobile phone app anymore.

Reviewed on 23/04/2018

A+ Scheduling Software

Saves me time and hassle. Employees know how to use it quickly with little/no training.

Pros

Inexpensive, feature rich, and easy for me to export timesheets to our payroll provider, Gusto. It was easy to add our existing employees when we made the switch. Employees have no complaints using it for time off requests, unavailability or integrating with their calendar so they know when they're scheduled.

Cons

The manager side of the mobile app is lacking full access to make it easy to approve time off requests. Depending how I pull up the request from my phone sometimes it also shows the date as Christmas Eve from years in the past (like 2015). Hasn't been a big enough pain for me personally to be mad enough to contact them, though I should so they can tell me I'm dumb and using it wrong or fix it.

Raquel

Reviewed on 21/09/2020

Scheduling Software

Can be slow at times and glitchy. Overall good and easy to use when working properly.

Pros

Easy to search for shift by employee, Easy to make templates and load templates.

Cons

Cannot filter locations, can be slow to load, Supervisor notifications go to the wrong person.

Amy

Reviewed on 25/05/2023

Couldn't be without it

Deputy has been a huge asset for our company and has easied staff scheduling dramatically.

Pros

Staff scheduling is by far the hardest job in the company but deputy makes it a lot easier. The ability to copy weekly shifts, add and remove staff easily is great. Staff find it very easy to use, even those that aren't tech savvy.

Cons

There is no ability to set staff as sick from your mobile device. This is really frustrating when you are on-call and out and about.

Alicia

Reviewed on 23/04/2018

Deputy makes scheduling masses easier. A few features need to be added still though

Pros

I love that I can copy-paste a schedule from last week, make minor adjustments for employees who have other rotating schedules to work around, or vacation days... it also makes finding available replacements drastically easier

Cons

I dont like the printable version and I still prefer posting my schedule instead of only having it digital. I want my employees to see my notes for each shift publicly and so I have to screenshot them print which has resolution issues. Therefore I have to size increase the window (ctr+), take two different screenshots, and then stitch together with photoshop in order to share these notes. Also, we are a restaurant that does shifts to phase send people home in order of first clock in time depending on how busy/slow we are or when dinner rush slows down. There is no way to indicate this. I have to use shift end times as estimates and let employees know. Also our POS system Sapphire is not supported and we can't use the clock-in feature

Helen

Reviewed on 07/04/2017

CountryOptusStore

We were using excel spread sheet, manually calculating hours and trying to juggle shift changes. Deputy has changed everything. Copy / paste roster templates, Swap shifts, Auto-calculation of hours, notifications when team members are unavailable - the list goes on.
I recommend this product to anyone I know that runs a business with multiple staff members.

Pros

Ease of copying roster into the timeframe and allocating appropriate team members

Cons

Export to Xero timesheets has to be altered manually in Xero for each line as details of type of hours worked does not match Xero.
Annual / leave days taken and processed through Deputy transfer onto Xero payslips as individual days. So if a team member takes a week off, instead of it being 1 line of annual leave @ 38hours - it comes up as individual lines at whichever shift hour allocations it was originally for. Makes for an overly long payslip!!!

Laura

Reviewed on 05/12/2018

Deputy Staff Schedule Module

Pros

Deputy provides a fully functional scheduling module we use for our Veterinary practice. Our current software did not include time clock/ scheduling features. Deputy is a user friendly program that handles our paid time off requests, time clock functions, and work area assignments. Deputy has advanced security features such as photo capture at clock in, location of clock in, and password protected access. While providing these features, it also is user friendly.

Cons

Customer support is typically via chat, and their hours of operation do not always reflect US time zones.

Luv

Reviewed on 18/04/2017

Makes rosters a walk in the park

Deputy makes scheduling very easy. I started using Deputy over 12 months ago and I cannot imagine being without it. Checking, updating or even scheduling can be done via a smart phone or tablet. I have started using Deputy at all the 3 southern states that I manage with the same ease. Staff love it as well as new, changes or updates are published and sent to their smart phones instantly.

I also love that I can contact deputy via the app or web app to raise a issue or ask for assistance. Also new feature requests can be made and where possible it will get implemented. Deputy have implemented features that keep improving the product.

Keep up the great work.

Pros

Cloud solution which means I don't to have any special servers to support it in house

Cons

Response from Deputy

Thanks for your awesome feedback Luv! We love hearing success stories like yours! Never hesitate to reach out to our team for help in the future and happy scheduling.

- Team Deputy

Replied 27/04/2017